Queen of Tears 눈물의 여왕 [Current - Sat/Sun]

Posted (edited)

I honestly hope that pre-release scene from episode 6 above would lead Hyun Woo to tell Hae In about Eun Seong. This guy has been messing with both of them separately, they need to find out soon. Every time the couple make an inch towards each other, this guy tries to pull them away again. The preview showed the family might have found the divorce paper Hyun Woo prepared.

Episode 5 showed us how Hyun Woo and Hae In's relationship fell apart, but still doesn't tell us what really happened to their baby. Ickkk! I still think that's a crucial part to why Hae In withdrew from Hyun Woo. Also, what's the reason she doesn't think she has the right to cry. It's obvious she blamed herself for the loss, but how it is lost is important too. We all have guesses, and would be nice to have confirmation.

Gotta give it to Kim Soo Hyun's crying scene. There are a plenty that I liked of his crying scenes in this episode. First one would definitely be the restrained cries in the baby room.

img.gif

That was heartbreaking. Do all you mothers out there felt his pain a thousand fold stronger than us non-mothers? The second one would be his tears welling up in his eyes at the cliff. And then the tearing up at the village. It all gave me lots of Feels.

img.gif

The making up scene was very good, too. Soo Hyun's kiss scene never disappoint, but it's not just the kiss that makes that scene amazing, it's the way they deliver their lines and emotions. Even though Hyun Woo didn't reveal a lot, but telling Hae In he was crying in his sleep meant a lot more damage was done to him. I honestly wished they would clear out the misunderstanding about the baby, or are we to assume Hyun Woo now understands because of Hae In's passcode is 1031?

Park Sung Hoon might win the most annoying villain in 2024. I can't with the sight of him, and absolutely hated it when he chuckled and said he felt like the host of the house to Hyun Woo. I want to punch him so much! And goodness, he's out to STEAL everything from Queen's Group and the family is showing him every inch of the house and treasures. The lady in cahoot with him, Grace, is the girl who gave CEO Hong the flowers at the orphanage, right? That sneer resembles the present Grace. That said, what did Queen's do to them that they wanted to steal/target the family?

I hope Beom Ja finds something on CEO's girlfriend. I never once thought she's an easy target, and her retaliation just confirms my suspicion. Beom Ja needs to thread carefully, and might be a good idea to work with Hyun Woo and Hae In later.

@abs-oluteM Which scene did you post in previous page? The post must have been deleted on X. I like the quiet crying (tears rolling down one eye) and still look beautiful. Not so much on screwing up the face and cry loudly kind. Soo Hyun does ugly crying a lot. Hahaha.

Off-topic, just want to share a funny clip. Soo Hyun went to IU's concert and when IU asked the audience what song they want to hear, and a guy yelled/screamed a song name "Only I didn't know". That's Soo Hyun :laugh: Geez, he's sure loud.

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Clapping Hands 2

I loved episode 5. The emotions, the scheming, the cracks starting to show in everyone...

4 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

Do all you mothers out there felt his pain a thousand fold stronger than us non-mothers?

It is often said that women become mothers before men become fathers. That's cos when you're carrying a child, you can feel the change in yourself - it's physical. You can't pretend it's not there. Whereas for men, they have a concept of becoming a father, but it doesn't really happen until the baby is in your hands. Men become fathers at that point. I am not someone who generally cries when watching movies or TV shows, but I did tear many times watching this episode. The loss of a child is a very painful thought for mothers. You have literally lost a part of your physical self. When I know of people who have lost their children, I am afraid to imagine the pain they are going through - I never want to experience it myself. So Hae-in's pain would have been tremendous.

I think that Hyunwoo's pain wasn't any less, though the source could have been very different. The joy of anticipation being taken away from you would have been painful; the sudden apparent rejection from his wife would have been painful. And I think that was what happened. She would not have removed the nursery immediately after knowing. There must have been at least a few days before she did that but in that time she must have also already started to withdraw from him. And we've seen it in her general manner - she's dismissive, cold, and doesn't want anyone thinking she is soft and in need. Yet Hyunwoo's fundamental personality is that - he wants to be needed. His sister said that about "his type". Hae-in's personality would have been a refreshing change to that, though if you think about it, that was what attracted him to her in the first place too - she seemed to need his help.

Unevenly matched relationships however cannot really work. You actually need to need each other, and you need to communicate that need to each other. Hae-in actually needed Hyunwoo while she was hurting but she closed up instead; Hyunwoo needed to be the head of the household and take charge when crisis hit, but he withdrew from Hae-in instead. All the misunderstandings from unsaid words! That last scene at the steps of Sanssouci Palace was done very well - when they finally allowed themselves to say what has likely been bothering them for the last 2 years -

"I should be by your side at times like this" He realises he did not protect her like he said he would. I think aunt Beomja's words woke him up.
"Did I ever tell you not to? I wanted you to be by my side. I didn't want to be alone. Ever." She never articulated her need but it was there.

"I'm sorry. I'm really sorry." He accepts he is to blame too. He has rejected her, she never actually rejected him.

She extends her hand out to him. She realises she needs to open her heart to make her thoughts known to him

Loved episode 5. 

• Clapping Hands 3
Posted (edited)

OST 4

Come to think of it, I think Hae In does remember high school Hyun Woo, and he's always been her first love. That's why she wanted marry him no matter what (and he was very nice to her). 🤔

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 2

That’s really well written @gilaswan.

I’ve only watched a few of her dramas, but it seems this writer adds a little fantasy/out of the world scenarios in her stories. So I thought hey, Hae In’s lifeline extending is perhaps a part of the magical element, similar to the temporary lapses in memory/awareness of her surroundings. But no, it was drawn in by Hyun Woo 😭😂.

I’ve a feeling this won’t be a straightforward happy ending. Probably the love from afar type like  CLOY and MLFAS. What do you think?

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
1 hour ago, Chocolate said:

I’ve a feeling this won’t be a straightforward happy ending. Probably the love from afar type like  CLOY and MLFAS. What do you think?

This drama feels heavier. The writer seems keen to send out a message on why marriages breakdown - the communication issues they face, the differences in values , the meddling by family. Of course it is a lot more exaggerated since it is drama but it is not far from the truth either. They gave her a death sentence to start with, and the chances of her overcoming that is 50-50. Say there's a miracle where her life is concerned. But after the ending of eps 6,  I don't know if the marriage will survive unless he regains her trust and both commit to counselling.  

So sad this ending for eps 6

• Like 2

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Chocolate said:

I’ve a feeling this won’t be a straightforward happy ending. Probably the love from afar type like CLOY and MLFAS. What do you think?

What do you have in mind a love from afar type like CLOY and MLFAS? Most of this writer's famous works are fantasy (MLFTS, LOTBS, CLOY) and the leads have extreme background. For CLOY, it's South Korea vs North Korea. For MLFTS, Do Min Joon have to go back once in a while so that he live. However, both are South Korean and human. Their only differences is social status. They have already broken that barrier and married, they just need to work out their marriage and regain the trust. The only far away love I see is they are much happier living away from the rest of the family 😆

15 hours ago, Chocolate said:

But no, it was drawn in by Hyun Woo 😭😂.

What does this mean?

14 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

They gave her a death sentence to start with, and the chances of her overcoming that is 50-50. Say there's a miracle where her life is concerned. But after the ending of eps 6,  I don't know if the marriage will survive unless he regains her trust and both commit to counselling. 

The treatment Hae In is doing now could be the cure. Another thought I had was this sickness was manifested from her guilt towards her dead brother. When she get over it, the non-existence tumour (didn't they say it's not even detectable?) will disappear.

I haven't watched episode 6 yet, but I thought it was smart of Hyun Woo to park his car in front of the IT shop to capture who could have intercepted the SD card. At this point, it seems like the only ones with brain is Hyun Woo and Hae In in the family, but Hae In can easily withdrew from Hyun Woo. However, I also think she's smart enough to separate the divorce paper from the spying stuff. Her family might not know, but she of all people should know Hyun Woo and her family don't have bad intentions. 

@abs-oluteM You know what's the fastest way to regain her trust? Sacrifice; the "I-will-bleed-or-die-in-your-stead" kind, LOL. That usually does the trick in dramas. 

------

Wow, episode 6's rating broke 14%. Now I'm curious whether it'd reach or surpass Park Ji Eun's old projects. MLFTS is the highest at 28%, which might not be as easy, but 21% (LOTBS and CLOY) seem achievable.

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

@mademoiselle Couldn't decide if I wanted to laugh or clap at your post, so I did the neutral "like". Hahaha..."I-will-bleed-or-die-in-your-stead" definitely made me laugh. Hahaha...

Which dramas did this writer write before?

I'm halfway through episode 6. It's starting to get heavy - I totally get @Alice Wonderland's thought process here... it is indeed starting to get difficult on the heart. 

Will be back with more thoughts once I'm done watching everything...

• Haha 3
  • Clapping Hands 1
Posted (edited)

The scale of this infiltration is an eye-opener. Just how long the scheming and planning took? This looks like an over 20+ years of meticulous planning. Too bad Eun Seong is no Ling Bu Yi, aye? 

I genuinely wanted to believe the sister-in-law, Da Hye had her own agenda and worked alone. Something like a Cinderella story where she wanted to live a good life, so she decided to scam Soo Cheol, and all she has to do is to put up with the facade forever. I didn't think she's one of the planted spies, and there are so many of them! I feel a pinch of pity for Soo Cheol. Despite him being a huge brat, he at least showed genuine care and love for his family and stood up for them. And sadly, it is now suggested the son may not be his? That said, how did she manage to fake pregnancy in a modern era? I see a ray of hope from her though because it seems like she was touched by him, and that suggests she might turn against Eun Seong et al.

Hae In talking about death twice was gloomingly sad, but I also greatly enjoyed watching Kim Soo Hyun acted out Hyun Woo's reactions and emotions. Given it's still early in the series, I didn't think the divorce paper would be discovered so early. Look forward to see how this panned out. At the moment, the focus is on Hae In being sick, and we see Hyun Woo running around looking out for her and compromising. There are still other underlying issues in their marriage which they have yet to resolve, which I want to see Hae In protecting Hyun Woo. Plus, Hae In needs to learn that Hyun Woo is also taking medication for mental health.

Aunt Beom Ja made me cry in this episode. She may seem cuckoo, but she wears her heart on her sleeve. I'm glad she has found some dirt on Mistress Mo. Now all she has to do is share this with Hae In and Hyun Woo. Mistress Mo's background suggest the son maybe Eun Seong, isn't it? And Eun Seong might be CEO Hong's son, which is why he wants Queens. They could also be the one who framed and ousted the eldest son (Beom Ja's Oppa).

It looks promising Hyun Woo himself has a group of brotherhood/friends, and they might all come in handy later on in helping him. What do you guys think? The OTP in Park Ji Eun's dramas always have side-kicks, so I think a few of them could be the side-kicks.

Spoiler

P.S. @abs-oluteM Don't know about you, but my viewing experience was momentarily ruined by Kim Sae Ron during the scene where they showed the couple's photo album. The thought that popped into my mind was why weren't their faces stuck closely to each other as a lover! 😤

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Clapping Hands 3
On 3/25/2024 at 2:06 PM, mademoiselle said:

It looks promising Hyun Woo himself has a group of brotherhood/friends, and they might all come in handy later on in helping him. What do you guys think? The OTP in Park Ji Eun's dramas always have side-kicks, so I think a few of them could be the side-kicks.

Yes this gives me hope. I was so agitated seeing all the plotting going on when they were away.

Is grandpa's girlfriend part of EunSeung's gang?  Could she be his mother since apparently she had a child before this? As to Soo Cheol's child, I think the wifey wouldn't be able to fake the pregnancy but maybe he is not the dad. 

Spoiler

I hope no more drama with that Kim Sae Ron ...it doesn't ruin my experience but I really prefer if the spotlight is on this show instead of his personal life. 

• Like 2

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

10 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

Is grandpa's girlfriend part of EunSeung's gang?

Yes, she is. She picks up the chess piece, held it in her hand, drops it and found the spying device. Who does that when playing chess? You're not supposed to let your opponent know your next move, and she held the chess piece in her hand for at least 15-30s.

Not only that, the wild boar incident made everyone believes the Shaman is for real. We all know once someone believes in this sort of thing, you're bound to be under that person's control. If Hyun Woo didn't intercept, Eun Seong would have been the one saving Hae In/everyone. Like everyone's else, Grace underestimated Hyun Woo since he hasn't hunted a soul for the last 3 years. Hyun Woo is the wild card in the family because he appears meek and opted not to show off his skills. Kim Soo Hyun and Park Sung Hoon both said there are many twists in the drama, so I look forward to that—hopefully it's not a lie (because Jun Young said he's a good guy in Impossible Heir, and he's not).

10 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

Could she be his mother since apparently she had a child before this? As to Soo Cheol's child, I think the wifey wouldn't be able to fake the pregnancy but maybe he is not the dad. 

At the moment, I believe Eun Seong is her and CEO's love child. Otherwise, it doesn't explain why they would target Queens with so much dignity as if they deserve to be part of the riches. Note that there's a family rule where the baby need to perform DNA test. This must mean a lot of affairs happened in the family, and people to come to the door claiming the babies are Queens. Maybe those illegitimate ones are not accepted into the family. Another possibility would be like My Demon where the riches were obtained in exchange of someone's death e.g., Mo Seul Hee's husband.

Soo Cheol's son is 99.999% not his. Da Hye and Grace exchanged a glance when the doubt was raised, and Grace was the one assuring DNA test was conducted. With their meticulous planning, they could totally pull it off.

Spoiler

KSR - now there's report saying her acquaintance said she was trying to show off to her friends. 🙄 I had a chat with two Gen MZ and both were saying how they wouldn't want to beat their kids and traumatise them like they were traumatised. But I feel some kids need to smack some sense into them so they behave and understand. LOL.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

We're officially at the mid-point mark in this drama! The constant reveals are keeping everyone on the edges of their seat and next week's going to be frustrating for us as we prepare to watch Hyunwoo get kicked around unjustly by the ingrates that are his in-laws and the seeming small victories that Operation-Take-Over-Queens (which acronym phonetically spells otoQae?! :laugh:) is having. 

The set up now makes it seem as if Yoon Eunseong is Grandpa's son. Aunt Beomja was certain that Ms Girlfriend caused mum's death, though Dad Beomjun and Grandpa seem very assured that mum died from natural causes. I am now suspicious. Did Grandpa have an affair with Ms Girlfriend prior? It's made to look that way, but she was director of the orphanage when Eunseong was already a young boy and looks to be about the same age or close to in age to Hae-in and her older brother. Would Grandpa not have known if Ms Girlfriend was pregnant?

Da Hye and Grace were also from the orphanage, but why are they part of this elaborate OTOQ team? If Eunseong and Ms Girlfriend are related, I get it. Are the other 2 just in for the ride? This has been a 20-year heist in progress, but you do have to give it to Eunseong that he has enough of the smarts to even be successful in his own right, else this OTOQ would not have been possible to begin with.

Da Hye's son - who is he? Another child taken from the orphanage? Was she even pregnant? Or was she one of those who bluffed her way into a 9-month solitary confinement because her "weak constitution" needed that quiet isolation in a seaside villa?

Grandpa is a rags-to-riches story to become the largest conglomerate in Korea. No wonder the pride and now paranoia in his old age. He probably had to step on many toes to get to where he is. The hurt experienced by Ms Girlfriend and Eunseong must be sufficiently great for them to want to do this, not just as a matter of getting a share of the inheritance, but also a way of revenge. I agree with the observation that Ms Girlfriend is very scary. Her complete calm when hurling the meat tenderiser is one kind of vicious psychopathy which Eunseong displays too.

I think too the boat accident that happened was planned and Hae-in's brother's death was a small victory for them. Who knew Hae-in would grow up to be the formidable heir apparent they now had to fight? No wonder Grace wanted Eunseong to marry her instead and gain entry through a legitimate way, but the emergence of Hyunwoo foiled that plan. She's been trying to plant hate against him since then. And Soocheol's dimwittedness is amazing. No wonder Da Hye has to drink to keep sane! 

This weekend's episodes are going to really frustrate and annoy me, I think. @Alice Wonderland's plan to wait till episode 10 to binge through is a good one. Hahaha... I have to say, just seeing Eunseong on screen fills me with annoyance. I really question why the private residence isn't locked up. How can it be that anyone can waltz into their rooms so easily? Room doors not locked. There's a strange level of trust for a family so full of distrust. 

MVP for the last weekend's episode? Aunt Beomja. While I know there is a sense that Hyunwoo is the wildcard with strengths he's kept hidden so long, I think Aunt Beomja is the one who is going to surprise everyone, Grandpa Dad especially who has written her off. She smells a rat and knows that her older brother is innocent, but she hasn't quite managed to put things together yet. However, she's the first to know and experience the extent of Ms Girlfriend's viciousness - perhaps it was her mistake to show her hand to Beomja afterall. Being in jail has given her some other resources perhaps uncommon to the chaebols, and she is going to use them all. Aunt Beomja is also going to be the unexpected link between the generations - she loves Haein and thinks very well of Hyunwoo. She will see through this injustice just as she has with regard to her own late mother, and she's not going to take it lying down. I hope in the coming episodes, she will reach out to Hyunwoo and make Haein see the logic and reality of what's going on. Perhaps they will set up their own clandestine operation of Reveal-OTOQ. It's 3 against 4. Let the games begin!

Edited by gilaswan
  • Like 3
  • Clapping Hands 1
16 hours ago, Chocolate said:

If Eun Song was courting Hae In, how can he be Grandpa's son? That would be incest.

You're right. But if they are out to destroy, it would not matter. They just need a foot in. 

I do however think that that is not the relationship Eunseong has with the Hong family. I don't really know what the motivation is except for that he is certainly in cahoots with Ms GF and very possibly the son she had while in prison. There's a lot of mystery shrouding Ms GF too - she has been around with the family for the last 20 years and from that scene where Grandpa visited the orphanage to speak, it seemed to me as if that was where they first met, not before. But I'd prolly have to do a rewatch to get s sense of exactly what was being suggested there. It seemed to me like she entered the family shortly after Grandma's passing. 

Out of curiosity though - are chaebol families in Korea so young? Only 3 generations long with the first being a rags-to-riches generation?

• Like 4

A theory - that Hae In is poisoned instead of having a tumour.

5 hours ago, gilaswan said:

Out of curiosity though - are chaebol families in Korea so young? Only 3 generations long with the first being a rags-to-riches generation?

I think so. When I first started watching kdramas a few years ago, I was surprised that modern Korea is so young! The korean war was actually relatively recent in 1950 and it was only in the 1960s that SK started to modernise although still with authoritarian leadership. I still remember the days when we in Singapore bought Samsung and Hyundai because they were the cheapest appliances and cars. And I read articles on how Samsung consciously moved from price to design over time. SK's growth has been amazing in just 60 years.

And so now, never say that dramas don't teach you anything 🤣.

Edited by Chocolate
  • Haha 4

Pre-release

I'm glad Hyun Woo is well-prepared facing Haraboji, but arghhhhh, Eun Seong is watching means whatever Hyun Woo prepared he'll be able to counterstrike or planned something else! They need to discover the spy cam quick!!!

---

@Chocolate Incest → Korea's favourite makjang of all time. I actually thought about this as well, and thought Eun Seong is psychotic enough to do anything to be honest. And it's not like he is marrying her for love. He just want a foot into the family. Honestly don't know if Grace and/or Da Hye know about him and Mo Seul Hee enough when they joined him.

Now my most curious question is... how far will he go? Will he kill to get what he wants?

@abs-oluteM Your Oppa is too annoying and evil here I cannot stand the sight of him every single time he appears. He's doing a fantastic job for making me feel this way, though, but 🥹🥹🥹 too hateful to appreciate him.

7 hours ago, gilaswan said:

Google says Doohan Group is 4th generation. From watching Exhuma recently, there are also chaebols who gained their riches from being traitor during WW2.

2 hours ago, Chocolate said:

I think so. When I first started watching kdramas a few years ago, I was surprised that modern Korea is so young! The korean war was actually relatively recent in 1950 and it was only in the 1960s that SK started to modernise although still with authoritarian leadership. I still remember the days when we in Singapore bought Samsung and Hyundai because they were the cheapest appliances and cars. And I read articles on how Samsung consciously moved from price to design over time. SK's growth has been amazing in just 60 years.

I thought there will be older chaebol families, those from the Kim clan from Joseon dynasty. The Kim clan gathered a lot of riches when they became the strongest clan during certain time period. Maybe lost it during WW2 to the Japanese. Or they are in NK. Hahaha!

2 hours ago, Chocolate said:

And so now, never say that dramas don't teach you anything 🤣.

Hahaha! I definitely won't disagree with this. I feel like I've learnt a lot from watching TV, including languages. But I have known people who doesn't learn after watching TV all their life.

• Haha 2
22 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

Your Oppa is too annoying and evil here I cannot stand the sight of him every single time he appears. He's doing a fantastic job for making me feel this way, though, but 🥹🥹🥹 too hateful to appreciate him.

Imagine me right now -  every single oppa love of mine in all the 3 kdramas I'm watching are the villains. This is the problem - I always like all these actors that tend to take on such roles.  :laugh:

So more crazy things will happen

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, abs-oluteM said:

Imagine me right now -  every single oppa love of mine in all the 3 kdramas I'm watching are the villains. This is the problem - I always like all these actors that tend to take on such roles.  :laugh:

Is that Lee Jun Young, Park Sung Hoon and Jang Seung Jo? But wait, I don't dislike Jun or Lee Jun Hyuk in their villain roles, though. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
20 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

Is that Lee Jun Young, Park Sung Hoon and Jang Seung Jo? But wait, I don't dislike Jun or Lee Jun Hyuk in their villain roles, though. 

Yes.

Spoiler

LJH - are you referring to his role in Stranger or in DS60? 

For Jun in The Impossible Heirs - I think I don't dislike him either because the leads there are also not so likeable :laugh:In fact  as you probably can sense I have some sympathy for him. 

But Jang Seung Jo is playing a real scum in Nothing Uncovered . Can't even root for his character. Just as bad as PSH here. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1