Castaway Diva 무인도의 디바 [2023]

Tofu

All of episode 1 is about Seo Mok Ha's teenage year with Jung Ki Ho. There are domestic violence elements in this drama, which I didn't expect. Not a happy or easy episode to watch. But it is also the main reason why the childhood storyline is so compelling, and both child actors Lee Re and Moon Woo Jin did a fantastic job.

After watching episode 1, I told @Tofu Chae Jong Hyeop had to be Jung Ki Ho even though Chae Jong Hyeop's character has a different name. But then I suddenly remember Start-up and thought to myself, this isn't written by Park Hye Ryun, right? Lo and behold, it is! :lmao2: OK, now I've to reassess the whole situation. Chae Jong Hyeop is definitely the male lead, but is he Ki Ho, it's hard to tell now. From the long preview, it intentionally misleads the viewers to think Cha Hak Yeon is Ki Ho. But he, too, has a different name. No matter what, if there is romance, my money is on Chae Jong Hyeop. 😝 Whoever it is, the drama/writer certainly has the intention to let viewers guess. As years passes by, Ki Ho is seen waiting at the old Seoul station for Mok Ha, and Show deliberately not show us the adult Ki Ho's face. I am having Reply series déjà vu right now.

All this while, I thought Seo Mok Ha was stranded at a deserted island because the cruise sank. Little did I expect, she jumped! I take that her abusive father is now dead. And from here onwards, we have to throw away our logic for a moment because Mok Ha literally didn't have anything with her when she arrived at the island. 15 years later, she has plastic bottles, plenty of plastic umbrellas, cloth that she could use as blankets, knife, and ropes! Her shoes have holes in them and so was her shirt, but LOL @Tofu, her top is still really intact apart from some tiny holes. Hahaha.

I thought we would be seeing more episodes of Park Eun Bin doing a Tom Hank's version of Cast Away, but I'm glad she's already discovered by the drone camera and will be rescued.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Clapping Hands 4

It was a great episode 1!! Teared up watching what they went through at home. I really wouldn't mind watching the child actors continuing with their story in their hometown and how they break away from their abusive fathers. But that's not what our drama here is about, haha... 

7 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

And from here onwards, we have to throw away our logic for a moment because Mok Ha literally didn't have anything with her when she arrived at the island. 15 years later, she has plastic bottles, plenty of plastic umbrellas, cloth that she could use as blankets, knife, and ropes! Her shoes have holes in them and so was her shirt, but LOL @Tofu, her top is still really intact apart from some tiny holes. Hahaha.

They showed her diving to find some shellfish(?)... I wished they had shown her picking up some "treasures" on the shore to make sense of how she accumulated all those things, especially her beddings, lol... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

7 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

Chae Jong Hyeop is definitely the male lead, but is he Ki Ho, it's hard to tell now. From the long preview, it intentionally misleads the viewers to think Cha Hak Yeon is Ki Ho. But he, too, has a different name. No matter what, if there is romance, my money is on Chae Jong Hyeop

Ki Ho is definitely Chae Jong Hyeop. You can tell from the male voiceover when Mok Ha was on the ship, which said the same thing that Ki Ho told Mok Ha "I know better than anyone else, what it is" when he handed her the map to his house.

• Like 4
  • Insightful 2

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

Woo Hak has childhood trauma that's unknown to the viewers at the moment. This trauma caused him to have amnesia and not remember much of his childhood. Based on the things he's heard from Mok Ha, he is convinced that he's Ki Ho. However, after watching episode two, I do not believe Woo Hak is Ki Ho. The drama wants us to think he is, but it's likely he isn't. 

Bo Geol has had little screentime. He was telling Woo Hak that Woo Hak is not Ki Ho during their talk and in that scene, it sounded a lot like Bo Geol was trying to say, "you are not Ki Ho, because I am". Ki Ho once said that when Mok Ha gets to Seoul, she needs to change her name so her father wouldn't find her. I think Ki Ho decided to do this for himself when he ran away. Ki Ho has a new identity now because he's running from his abusive father. 

Like @ktcjdrama I am Team Bo Geol as the person most likely to be Ki Ho. 

You know, I've always wanted N to have more screen time and an impactful role, but Chae Jong Hyeop is ❤️❤️❤️. I hope we see more of Bo Geol in the next episodes.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 1
  • Party! 1
3 hours ago, Tofu said:

Based on the things he's heard from Mok Ha, he is convinced that he's Ki Ho. However, after watching episode two, I do not believe Woo Hak is Ki Ho.

Agree! Did notice Ki Ho went back to the train station at the same time through the years. The last glimpse was a tall man in uniform.

Peeked a look at the cast list.   Since there is no other male.  Then it’s either BG or WH….Hmmm I think I’ll root for BG he is handsome and tall.  just my cup of tea. :love:

Did anyone get emotional with the song during episode 2?   I was so immersed I found myself crying.   It’s a beautiful song.  perfect words catch the emotions of characters…. I’m going to go replay that again.  so beautiful.

Edited by Mizv
  • Like 5
  • Clapping Hands 1

OK, I'm also convinced Bo Geol is Ki Ho. His demeaner is more Ki Ho for one, and secondly he bought her shoes (I feel this one is kinda significant and telling). In addition to how certain he was that Woo Hak is not Ki Ho and the quote. His expression didn't give away anything to the audience until the epilogue when Woo Hak cited the quote. Woo Hak is too talkative to be Ki Ho. And are we sure he's the older one because he behaves like the younger brother and Bo Geol is the older one. Plus, coincidentally, he suggested to the PD to use Yoon Ran Joo. Hmm...

I cried at the end of the song. I was thinking what a celebrity is, and sell—a dream—to their fans. It's how much emotional support or hope Mok Ha got from Yoon Ran Joo 15 years ago, and 15 years later, she will help Yoon Ran Joo back up (maybe). I thought that was very touching.

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 5

Very enjoyable first two episodes.

From my Start-Up trauma :laugh:, it doesn’t matter who Ki Ho is . Writer-nim broke all rules with the childhood connection thing in Start-Up . Kim Seon Ho was the 2nd ML but had that heart wrenching back story with the FL ( Suzy’s role ) . 

Spoiler

But as we know Nam Joo Hyuk’s character was the end game! 

So even if Woo Hak is Ki Ho, it won’t matter. As CJH is the 1st ML, he’ll end up with her . 

All guessing aside , I do have a soft spot for N & I think he’s got good push pull chemie with Park Eun Bin. But I won’t be fooled twice by this writer 🤣🤣. So in spite of a potential SLS on my part , I will keep an open mind. There’s  not enough scenes between her & CJH for me to see their chemistry yet - let’s see how the future episodes go. Hehe 😜 

• Haha 5

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

6 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

And are we sure he's the older one because he behaves like the younger brother and Bo Geol is the older one.

Woo Hak has some sort of separation anxiety from Bo Geol. Why is that? They are both in their late 20s/early 30s and he still wants to share a bedroom with Bo Geol. It would be good for them to have their own space, no? Woo Hak doing the opposite of what Bo Geol suggest is kind of funny but a bit annoying too. Haha! 

@abs-oluteM I have trust issues ever since BLWL switched the male lead half through the drama. I will never fully believe that the male or female lead continue to be the main lead. :letalQQ:

• Haha 5
On 10/30/2023 at 2:48 AM, Tofu said:

You know, I've always wanted N to have more screen time and an impactful role,

Me too!! and his character here is quite interesting, unlike the one in Mine, so I'm still hoping for more screen time for him even though he might not be the ML. I have a bias towards him ever since his role in Children of Nobody. I want him to shine more.

20 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

I cried at the end of the song. I was thinking what a celebrity is, and sell—a dream—to their fans. It's how much emotional support or hope Mok Ha got from Yoon Ran Joo 15 years ago, and 15 years later, she will help Yoon Ran Joo back up (maybe). I thought that was very touching.

Yes, I really like that last part. I appreciate that Yoon Ran Joo since long time ago is a decent person (no high-and-mighty diva personality) although she seemed misunderstood by other people....? 

• Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

MTDzeiV.gif

You know what will be a complete troll from the writer? Both aren't KiHo ! :laugh:But I swear TVN is having a blast playing up the triangle.  If you see all their social media posts , they are capitalising on this guessing game to the max! 

https://x.com/CJnDrama/status/1720063218352099477?s=20

By the way there's a pre-released here a scene of Woo Hak and Mok Ha having a meal. The more they push this agenda, the more unlikely he is KiHo ..

There's a link to the video on YT available in certain regions

https://x.com/CJnDrama/status/1719490700440711561?s=20

Wahhh did they just finished filming? Wrap up party

Spoiler

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

Prepare tissues. Episode 3 is a tear-jerker. I probably cried in the beginning, middle and end.

Yoon Ran Joo has a similar experience with her vocal cord like Julie Andrews. She confided in Mok Ha about this, not even Lee Seo Joon knew, she said. I wonder if he does. He brutally turns down giving Mok Ha a chance to audition, citing she has passed the age of an idol. Hmm, but sorry, if she really is a natural-born singer, why can't she just be that talented singer and not idol? So what if she's in her 30s?

I thought he was going to be a good agent to the end, but it looks like he isn't. He put up with Ran Joo because they signed a very long contract, and now there is only 6 months left. Mok Ha realised he fears Ran Joo, because she is a threat. She still needs to sell 84k of her albums to reach 20 million, and I'm very concerned Ran Joo suggesting Mok Ha to sing on her behalf. That would be a huge hit to Ran Joo when people finds out.

Ki Ho / Moon Woo Jin really killed me when the Show shows us he asked Ran Joo to give Mok Ha a hug, a chance and to help her if they met. And that's how Ran Joo wrote the song “That Night”😭.

We also have a bit more clue this episode. A married couple back in their hometown knows Ki Ho's true identity and kept it a secret for him. The couple is the boy we often see with Ki Ho and Mok Ha's best friend. It's scary Ki Ho's father is still looking for him, but is it just the Show painting him as potentially still might harm Ki Ho when he no longer will or can? Because he's signing a life insurance away and the benefactor is Ki Ho.

I just realised Kim Joo Hun was also in Start-up, playing Suzy's deceased father, whereas Kim Hyo Jin who plays Ran Joo is Yoo Ji Tae's wife.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 3

Episode 4 pre-release

Bo Gyeol seems cold, but I think he's trying to help her get back into the society. Pointing out the obvious, like how will people contact her. Telling her to get a phone and learn to drive (since she is now Ran Joo's manager).

F-DYsq5XsAADI_A?format=jpg&name=large

This is quite insane. Kim Hyo Jin (39) is a mother of two sons, and look at her figure. The dancing sequence was really fun as well. They could totally be idol, LOL.

• Like 3
  • Clapping Hands 1

Everyone of course thinks that BG is KiHo - In terms of mannerism he feels more like KiHo @mademoiselle. I haven't been able to watch the entire episode since I was binging on Daily Dose but I saw some cuts on X. ahahahahah....let's see how long this writer will keep this guessing game :laugh:

• Haha 4