Castaway Diva 무인도의 디바 [2023]

Tofu

I love love love the ending :heart: This drama is so beautifully directed and edited. How from one small stage we transitioned to the big stage. I got tears of joy welling up my eyes. Another scene that got me also was during Ran Joo's mother's passing. Not much shown, yet the feel was strong. 

Contrary to most, I'm fine with the bio-dad passing. He was too evil to ever realise he is in the wrong. Even while taking his own life, he was doing it to punish his family first and foremost. I think if he was jailed, he would never ever grant his wife a divorce, so they would never have closure and a new life. 

1 hour ago, gilaswan said:

Perhaps to an international audience, it would have made sense to at least let them off with a warning or a fine. 

Agree. Maybe some community service. Could that family's decision of taking their own life had an effect too on the verdict? 

But well, does that mean Ki-ho and Chae-ho will be awarded the half a million won in insurance payout?

No. Because he died of suicide. 

I also thought that cutting such a major artery would mean mediate death.

8 hours ago, Tofu said:

I'm watching a Chinese drama right now and cut/stab to the neck means automatic death, so I was bracing myself for the worst.

Same here. Which is why I wasn't that hopeful he would survive, especially with that much blood shown. Should they have made the stab on the stomach? But the bio-dad is so evil smart, he knew to fo for the neck. It would make him look inconsistent if he only stabbed the stomach. Well, at least they made it believable that Dad fell into a coma, and I also love the scenes where everyone, one by one, is calling him earnestly to come back. The best was of course how his wife called him ~ "I want to live as your wife". I was sobbing so much the first 15 minutes of the show. I should've gone to bed and not watch the finale first, because my eyes were already swollen from ep.11, but I had to know whether he pulled through or not! So yeah, you're looking at lacking-of-sleep panda here. 

I guess my only wonder (since the beginning) was about what (or if any) difference would it make if the writer had made the period of being castaway on isolated island be 10 years instead of 15 years? Somehow that is easier to accept. I tried to think back on my life 15 years ago, and that's a really long time even when filled with so many events and milestones. I just cannot imagine how to stay sane (and easily adapt back to modern life) after 15 years being a castaway. Besides, how many deserted islands are there around Korea that it took Ki Ho 15 years to finally find the right island? You know what I mean? :thinking: Haha... never mind me. Just letting this out of my system. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

So what happened with Ran Joo and the CEO? I did like that eventually it was revealed that CEO wasn’t a bad man afterall. Probably like what Eun Mo-rae said - he’s a horrible communicator and has a way of offending people. 

I agree with @ktcjdrama that 15 years seemed too long, and for her being lost for so long, her reintegration seemed very quick and easy too. Maybe 4 more episodes would’ve given more time to explore the challenges of reintegration, but I reckon there wasn’t enough fodder there for it. 

• Like 5

@gilaswan I think it was implied had he’d still keep his position & shares , and she will remain as producer. It was never her dream to be managing an agency, and I don’t think RJ is in a position to take care of the business side of things . 

@ktcjdrama even 5 years is a stretch to be on a deserted island . But I agree 10 years - I guess they needed to give KiHo time to grow up 🤣🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

Finale! I can't believe we didn't even get another kiss! Not even a peck, or a bobo! Hmph! But I think they did get married, @gilaswan. She addressed them as Mum and Dad at the end. Though, we see no rings. I'm still taking it as they are married because all of her trophies are at this house, LOL!

GAZNoqvbEAAivZG?format=jpg&name=large

I thought the suicide timing was a bit stupid, though. He's not that smart after all, or he's too overly confident of his knife skills? :laugh: If I were him, I would have made sure he died first before taking my own. Tsk tsk. And how vitriol is he that even to the end, he wouldn't let them go.

What do you guys think of that scene where Ki Ho left the restaurant upon seeing Mok Ha and Chae Ho? I think it is a sign that he knows Chae Ho likes Mok Ha and wanted to let Hyung have that time with her.

@ktcjdrama I just Googled. It says there are 3,358 islands in South Korea.

@abs-oluteM Why does Ki Ho need 5 extra more years to grow up? xD

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1
  • Haha 2
1 minute ago, mademoiselle said:

Nah, he didn't buy the house. He rented it. Mok Ha mentioned he paid the rental deposit of the house, so she'll pay him back as rent.

Do you remember what age she got cast away ? Maybe it’s so that the timing match’s the statute of limitations for his  father’s crime? 

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

1 minute ago, abs-oluteM said:

Do you remember what age she got cast away ? Maybe it’s so that the timing match’s the statute of limitations for his  father’s crime? 

The timeline is 2022 when she was found and she and Chae Ho are 31. So, 16 years old.

That said, another loophole I found. Was Samsung S23 Ultra out in 2022? :laugh: I thought it was a 2023 model.

• Haha 6
7 hours ago, gilaswan said:

he’s a horrible communicator and has a way of offending people. 

He’s a man.  What can we expect 

3 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

thought the suicide timing was a bit stupid, though. He's not that smart after all, or he's too overly confident of his knife skills?

Definitely overconfident move. But he knew he couldn’t get his family back.  It’s having control of the situation and fate.  If he got arrested he would rot in prison with no control.  Dying under his desirable outline gave him satisfaction.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

I just Googled. It says there are 3,358 islands in South Korea.

:shocked:  Okay, I need to take back what I said... Assuming every month of cleaning uninhabited island, 15 years he could only cover 180 islands. 

Pardon my ignorance... lol...

Edited by ktcjdrama
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

Episode 12 - Finale!

I thought it was pretty good pacing to the end of the series with a really well rounded happy ending :heart: 

It was so heart warming to see the Lee family all hanging together and sharing a meal. And I loved how they showed all their photos, especially that cute couple photo of Ki Ho and Mok Ha. I was also a big fan of that explaination that Mok Ha gave to Ran Joo about why she didn't stress about not being not being #1. I feel like Mok Ha's experiences on the island were what made her character so enjyoable to watch - I liked her pearls of wisdom about being grateful and living life one step at a time rather than worrying over things outside one's control etc. I'm happy that Ki Ho and Mok Ha ended up together despite Chae Jong Hyeop's lies about there being no romance on every variety show haha. I think it was pretty mild, but there was just enough to make things work for a happy ending. I thought the playful scene on the rooftop was quite cute - something about the way Ki Ho did that playful nudge when he sat down next to her and the way Mok Ha jumped on him to grab her notebook :BulbaOWO:

Although I didn't get second lead syndrome, I grew to have a soft spot for Chae Ho. At first his weirdness was confusing to me, but then as the drama went on, I was charmed by his quirkiness and talkativeness. I think, aside from the fact the main lead of Chae Jong Hyeop which meant that I was doomed to like the lead from the start, I idn't get SLS because the writer balanced the character's stories. Even though Mok Ha had a lot of moments with Woo Hak/ Chae Ho, the pull from all the heartwretching events with Ki Ho, very touching backstory meant that it felt more that Mok Ha and Ki Ho belonged together. Often SLS develops because the second lead has both the tragic backstory AND a lot of good moments with the female lead, but FL still brushes off second lead for aloof first lead. I think it balanced out because Chae Ho's main reason for liking Mok Ha was, as he said himself, because he thought he was Ki Ho :heiboi:

I did have to suspend disbelief a few times in this ending, but then again, this is a drama about a girl who survived 15 years on a desserted island to become a pop star, so not unexpected :laugh: I agree with @abs-oluteM that it seemed weird that they didn't get some form of punishment as I think in real life they wouldn't have gotten off quite so slightly. However, it seemed like even the prosecutors and other policeman were creeped out by the real dad, so maybe there were enough circumstances for them to let them off with a warning. What I actually found less easy to believe was that President Lee decided he'd give up his shares if he was wrong...also that he seemed to turn a new leaf for no real reason? :thinking: I mean, I don't think he was an all out villain, although he was a jerk, but I just don't feel like he'd suddenly stop being greedy for no reason? It just seemed a little too convenient that he'd suddenly had an epiphany for no reason. I mean I know him and Ran Joo had a long and complicated relationship and that he wasn't always bad towards her...but he did often seem to let money get the better of him, so I didn't buy his sudden change of heart. :idk:

The other thing I couldn't quite believe was that the dad managed to get off being punished when there was dashcam footage of him putting the wasps nest into the car. That's attemtped murder!!! It seemed so unfar that he never got punished for that at least (not to mention the years of domestic abuse and other bad behaviour)...But in a way, I think the drama was trying to show he was a deeply troubled person who caused his own unhappiness and lonliness - and that was punishment enough for him, although he was never fully aware of his actions on himself. :idk:

I liked how the stepdad survived - like @gilaswan I was worried about it being a main arterie, but thought the likely outcome was that he'd survive since it seemed like Chae Ho wasn't even sure what had happened when his dad had been injured, meaning that it wasn't likely that bio father had slashed the neck too deeply. Anyway, it would have been too sad if he didn't seeing as he was an all around good person :BulbaOWO:

All in all, a fun drama with a good childhood love story, and a good plot to follow :Party01:

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

Currently watching: Doctor Slump // Queen of Tears // The Impossible Heir

Current Obsessions: ❤ Lee Jae wook // Park Hyung Sik // Yoon Park

Podcast: These Dramatic Days

On 11/21/2023 at 9:49 PM, mademoiselle said:

@JenL So the criteria of you never ever have SLS is that the Oppa has to be in God's tier. Never say never, though! There is always that dark horse.

ahaha I don't know if I ever responded to this but.... Anyone who plays second lead and manages to topple by God-Tier level of Oppas (Lee Jae Wook, Chae Jong Hyeop, Lee Je Hoon, Jasper Liu etc) probably deserves their spot in God-Tier too :laugh:

I don't think it's happened yet though :heiboi::idk:

With Lee Jae Wook, he's done a lot more varieties of characters and in some memorable dramas, either as cameos or supporting roles compared to Chae Jong Hyeop. For example, LJW was Marco in Memories of the Alhambra. He was a nobody then, and it's his debut, but I managed to remember him. Obviously, when I first found out that it was the same guy in EY and Search: WWW, I was surprised because he looked so different as Marco. And I think that's why he made a stronger impression. Not to mention at the time I was into Zinu (Hyun Bin), and he was kind of riding on Hyun Bin's name as the new actor from HB's agency. He was also memorable in Search: WWW for his drama in a drama's scenarios. That said, his own dramas where he's the male leads were not as memorable/successful. I hope his upcoming one with Lee Se Young will be good. Did you watch his cameo in Kill Bok Soon?

With Chae Jong Hyeop, I recognise his charm since the beginning, but he just hasn't been in The One drama where I really love and make me go 🤩. So, no, he hasn't been adopted yet. Let's see how it goes by the end of this drama. I'm swooning at his dimples and smiles, but I'm waiting for him to flutter my heart, if that makes sense. I hope the writer gives Bo Geol more depth and chance to shine. Usually, the actors become popular after appearing in Park Hye Ryun's dramas.

Yep, I think Lee Jae Wook has picked more challenging and nunaced characters and stronger drama projects overall.. But sometimes I wonder if that's because he's had more opportunities presented to him. It seems he's always been quite a strong actor with quite a fast career trajectory, so maybe he got offered better dramas to pick from compared to Chae Jong Hyeop who has had a slower, (but steady) rise up. :idk:

I've pretty much liked all his dramas - I think DDSSLLS wasn't extremely popular, but those who loved it, really loved it. However, much of that drama and even promotional things around that drama have been burried. I haven't even complained about this yet, but my translated Behind the Scenes videos which have been up since the drama aired got taken down for copyright by KBS :cry: As for Alchemy of Souls this was really popular - although at the time there were riddiculous fan wars because of Jung So Min being changed out. But Even now, I still get people contacting me about LJW because they saw Alechmy of Souls!!!

As for Chae Jong Hyeop, did Ki Ho make you want to adopt him @mademoiselle??? Not sure if his charm has pulled you over th way it has with me and @Tofu. To date though, my favourite Chae Jong Hyeop project is still Witch's Diner. That was also a very mild romance (she spent half it in love with that other guy :pandarage2:) But he had he puppy charm on full blast in that series and I couldn't resist :laugh:

Yes, I agree, this drama will have a mild romance too.

Mild, it was, but at least there was a good kiss in this one :laugh:

On 11/21/2023 at 10:06 PM, SilverMoonTea said:

I think I might be able to finish this and tortured myself in the process 😅

Did you finish this one Tea??? :thinking: I'm guessing no?

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, JenL said:

ahaha I don't know if I ever responded to this but.... Anyone who plays second lead and manages to topple by God-Tier level of Oppas (Lee Jae Wook, Chae Jong Hyeop, Lee Je Hoon, Jasper Liu etc) probably deserves their spot in God-Tier too :laugh:

I don't think it's happened yet though :heiboi::idk:

Yep, I think Lee Jae Wook has picked more challenging and nunaced characters and stronger drama projects overall.. But sometimes I wonder if that's because he's had more opportunities presented to him. It seems he's always been quite a strong actor with quite a fast career trajectory, so maybe he got offered better dramas to pick from compared to Chae Jong Hyeop who has had a slower, (but steady) rise up. :idk:

I've pretty much liked all his dramas - I think DDSSLLS wasn't extremely popular, but those who loved it, really loved it. However, much of that drama and even promotional things around that drama have been burried. I haven't even complained about this yet, but my translated Behind the Scenes videos which have been up since the drama aired got taken down for copyright by KBS :cry: As for Alchemy of Souls this was really popular - although at the time there were riddiculous fan wars because of Jung So Min being changed out. But Even now, I still get people contacting me about LJW because they saw Alechmy of Souls!!!

As for Chae Jong Hyeop, did Ki Ho make you want to adopt him @mademoiselle??? Not sure if his charm has pulled you over th way it has with me and @Tofu. To date though, my favourite Chae Jong Hyeop project is still Witch's Diner. That was also a very mild romance (she spent half it in love with that other guy :pandarage2:) But he had he puppy charm on full blast in that series and I couldn't resist :laugh:

Mild, it was, but at least there was a good kiss in this one :laugh:

Did you finish this one Tea??? :thinking: I'm guessing no?

Yep no haha I got irritated as the pair not as what I want 😆 I meant if in beginning they don't show so much bonding with WH then I'll be fine. I almost there actually left 2 more episodes haha.. 

Spoiler

Btw are u Jang Dong Yoon fans Jen ? Watch My Man is Cupid with me.. haha...

• Haha 3

ezgif-com-gif-maker-47.gif

On 11/22/2023 at 10:42 PM, ktcjdrama said:

:thinking: I won't say I adopted him as oppa... but I'm a big fan since WWW when I discovered he was Marco. I have watched all his dramas, and movie Kill Bok Soon

Why you no adopt LJW? :KittyGun: Nah, all good. More for me! :laugh:

But you're good! I actually still haven't seen Kill Bok Soon yet! Maybe that's what I'll watch tomorrow. I have nothing now that both my dramas have ended.. But LJW's Death Games starts soon!

On 11/24/2023 at 3:38 AM, ktcjdrama said:

:laugh: just tag me... oppa or not... it's easy to sell dramas (and oppas) to me. Furry little things, muscular beings, alpha females, angsty melos, lost aliens or lone ghosts... Just that not sure why, am not too into heavy (=violent) dramas this year. 

Yeah I'm a fan of those dramas too. But like violence between equal parties. Love a good gangster film. I can't stand abuse. Had to cover my eyes in Castaway Diva when the dads were abusive :psweatduck:

On 11/27/2023 at 3:24 AM, Tofu said:

Maybe he talked so much about he'd like there to be romance that the scriptwriter wrote it in. All, if not most, of his interviews were during filming. Haha! 

Hahaha considering he's so shy, he might be like Jasper - Jasper use to have to talk himself out of it when there was a romance cene otherwise he'd overthink and be nervous :laugh:

On 12/4/2023 at 4:16 AM, abs-oluteM said:

One final note about President Lee and Ran Joo - theirs had always been a complicated relationship. They started off as agent - artist to partners to lovers. And even though Lee was depicted as the "bad guy" here from time to time, I think you need someone like him to run the business and build it. RanJoo in her anger said that without her , he'd be nothing. Truth is artists like RJ , MoRae and even MokHa are disposable. President Lee would have found success even if it wasn't RanJoo he had started his agency with. 

I feel like this storyline was pretty unsatisfying though. Not sure why, but it felt like they were just so toxic for each other. I don't know if I'd believe he'd give up his shares in the end either. It seemed rather rushed for me? :idk:

On 12/4/2023 at 6:21 AM, Tofu said:

Their smiles! :love:

Credit

They both reached their dreams. :BulbaOWO:

Credit

I'm going to miss all the Chae Jong Hyeop gifs now that this has finished! :cry:

On 12/4/2023 at 1:00 PM, gilaswan said:

And was it implied at the end that Ki-ho and Mok Ha got married? This writer’s characters always get married. hahaha. And it was nice to see the reporter from Pinocchio and prosecutor from WYWS. I love how she brings her former characters back always. She’s got an entire universe going!

I think if not married, pretty close since she addressed them like her in laws! Maybe it would be ok because she debuted as an older star too :laugh:

Edited by JenL
  • Like 2

On 12/4/2023 at 7:23 PM, mademoiselle said:

What do you guys think of that scene where Ki Ho left the restaurant upon seeing Mok Ha and Chae Ho? I think it is a sign that he knows Chae Ho likes Mok Ha and wanted to let Hyung have that time with her.

I felt like Ki Ho was always perceptive of this, although he would never hurt his brother by saying coz he was the reserved one. But I also thiink he was slightly sad about the thought too? :heiboi:

On 12/4/2023 at 10:35 PM, Mizv said:

He’s a man.  What can we expect 

Hahahaha. Well played :laugh:

On 12/4/2023 at 11:33 PM, ktcjdrama said:

:shocked:  Okay, I need to take back what I said... Assuming every month of cleaning uninhabited island, 15 years he could only cover 180 islands. 

Pardon my ignorance... lol...

Man I did not think Korea was so full of islands either. I'm also full of ignorance :psweatduck:

15 minutes ago, SilverMoonTea said:

Yep no haha I got irritated as the pair not as what I want 😆 I meant if in beginning they don't show so much bonding with WH then I'll be fine. I almost there actually left 2 more episodes haha.. 

Hahaha look, that's good effort for you. I'm surprised you made it this far :laugh:

I don't think I've ever paid any attention to Jang Dong Yoon - I'll check out the trailer and think about it :heiboi:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Party! 1

Man I never watched all the behind the scenes for this while it was airing, so I'm playing catch up...Is it just me, but do Chae Jong Hyeop and Park Eun Bin have better chemistry off screen than their characters?! Not particularly shipping or anything like that, but they look so chatty with each other in real life :wow: ......haha they feel closer than their characters were :laugh: Maybe it's coz they both keep laughing so much

Edited by JenL
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, JenL said:

Man I did not think Korea was so full of islands either. I'm also full of ignorance :psweatduck:

Same here. If it weren't for this drama, I wouldn't know too. Google said these islands are mostly in the south. Er, I just Google, there are 8222 islands in Australia. Ahahahahaha! I thought there's only one Tasmania :laugh:

22 hours ago, JenL said:

But you're good! I actually still haven't seen Kill Bok Soon yet! Maybe that's what I'll watch tomorrow. I have nothing now that both my dramas have ended.. But LJW's Death Games starts soon!

Can you please let me know if Kill Bok Soon is worth my time? I don't particularly love Korean movies, especially the gangster/killing kind in movies. Oh good, you are aware of Death's Games. See you in that thread later.

22 hours ago, JenL said:

As for Chae Jong Hyeop, did Ki Ho make you want to adopt him @mademoiselle??? Not sure if his charm has pulled you over th way it has with me and @Tofu.

There was not enough of him in Diva for me to fall for him. I feel that I was just getting warm up and developing it and then BAM, we're done. Drama has finished. So, I'd say no.

• Haha 1