Lost You Forever 长相思 [2023]

Lost You

Title: Lost You Forever 

Chinese Title: 长相思

Novel: "The Book of Mountain and Sea" (山经海纪) by Tong Hua

Broadcast Dates: 24 July - 15 Aug 2023 (Part 1 Completed)

Genre: Fantasy, romance - harem, clan politics, xuan huan

Episodes: 39

Director: Yang Huan, Zoe Qin

Screenwriter: Wong Jing, Ye Chin

Broadcasters: Tencent, WeTV, Viki, iQiyi

Starring:

Yang Zi             --  Xiao Yao aka Wen Xiaoliu

Zhang Wanyi    --  Cang Xuan

Deng Wei         --  Ye Shiqi aka Tushan Jing

Tan Jianci         --  Xiang Liu

Dai Luwa          --  A'Nian

Wang Hongyi   --  Chishui Fenglong

Synopsis:

Long ago in a distant land known as Dahuang divided into Xiyan, Chenrong and Haoling where gods and demons roam together, there lived a princess who lost her way and changed her appearance. She assumes the identity of a male physician who sets up shop in Qingshui Town, Wen Xiaoliu (Yang Zi). One day Xiao Liu's long lost cousin Prine Cang Xuan (Zhang Wanyi) descends into town with his entourage incognito. He's been searching for her for three hundred years. Unfortunately he fails to recognize her under her disguise. Meanwhile Xiao Liu trespasses into the domain of the Chenrong army and the nine-headed sea serpent Xiang Liu (Tan Jianci) in order to procure valuable herbs to pay the dowry of her adopted son. If things aren't complicated enough, she rescues a beggar from the street who is on the brink of death. He turns out to be a fox deity (Deng Wei) from an important merchant clan.

Prince Cang Xuan a direct descendant and grandson of the current ruler of Xiyan is in a game of thrones battle with his uncles. He is in Qingshui Town to consolidate his power base in order to mount a bid for the throne.

Characters: 

Lost You 4

Lost 3

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Party! 1

Currently Watching: Queen of Tears, In Blossom

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

My quick review:

This is probably my favourite C drama this year and I like it almost as much as Love Like the Galaxy. It is the case that I don't really watch Chinese fantasy dramas especially xian xia, and his isn't that exactly. I've been told that it belongs to the category of xuan huan. My interest was first piqued when I discovered that Tan Jianci was in it. Most of you will remember him from Under the Skin that I recommended last year. I asked around and thankfully there are no multiple lifetimes trope here. The very charismatic Tan Jianci is incredible in this and I dug the sexy bad boy vampire vibe that he exuded with the greatest of ease especially in the first 10 episodes. His Xiang Liu isn't the male lead. That honour goes to Cang Xuan who is played by Zhang Wanyi. But he is an active and beloved member of the reverse harem.

Yang Zi is rather good here. She probably gives her best performance here out of everything I've seen her in. She is like others have said,, a good fit for the role. She's a cross-dressing long lost princess who gets embroiled with the handsome demon, her cousin and a horribly tortured beggar. Which kind of reminds me of The Sungkyunkwan Scandal and popular manga series Ouran High School Host Club.

While there's a fantasy tag attached to this, it is surprisingly a rather grounded show. It's feels more like a historical drama based in mythology with a bit magic thrown in just to remind us that these people operate on another level. In this first part, romance takes up the lion's share of the storyline even while there is a fight for the throne in the background. Frankly I wish there was a lot more of the intra-clan politics to solidify the world building which becomes increasingly more important in the show's final 9 episodes.

My only complaint about this and why I can't give it top marks is because I have tough time rooting for the main romance. I'm too much in love with Xiang Liu unfortunately. And also I'm not especially keen on the lad that gets the girl. 

I've been told it's a good adaptation. I imagine @liddi will have something to say about that because she's the expert.

@SilverMoonTea @Tofu @ktcjdrama @NiteWalker @OsmanthusTea

Edited by 40somethingahjumma
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

Thanks for the calling @mademoiselle, but the reverse harem tag already scared me 😂 I'm very prone shipping an unsailing ship, so I have to avoid this one. I also felt I will fell for that vampire white hair 😆, I only saw the trailer. 

If you okay with Yang Zi, I actually like Immortal Samsara a lot (sorry you recommend a drama, but I selling you another drama 😅). I think Cheng Yi's performance here quite stellar, eventhough towards ending it's a bit anticlimax. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

ezgif-com-gif-maker-47.gif

5 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

The very charismatic Tan Jianci is incredible in this and I dug the sexy bad boy vampire vibe that he exuded with the greatest of ease especially in the first 10 episodes.

That poster alone will draw me in for the drama 😄 And of course I want to see him on screen again. Okay I am sold. Have put this on my evergrowing to-watch list 😅

• Haha 3
  • Party! 2

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

@40somethingahjumma

I have not watch much of this drama, only bit here and there and I can say that it's an amazing drama both in production and acting. YZ done nothing for me, I'm kinda very very familiar of her acting to the point of kinda numb and immune toward her. But the 3 MLs (I'm quite familiar with their other works). OMG! They are incredible. I'm totally love DengWei look-wise, shallow me...:PsyWhat: I have been watching him since his trashy modern drama, You Are The Star And I'm The Year (I think something like that), untill before LYF which is Till The End Of The Moon (another amazing drama of the year for me) and he is so good as a handsome melancholy tortured inside kind of roles.

The other ML, Zhang Wan Yi is one of the best actor of his generation though since he isn't liuliang so not that well known internationally. He is amazing in The Bond with Bai Yu and Song ZuEr etc. One of the best Cdrama, I can recommend.

Another one of course the beloved Tan JianCi. I'm totally surprised of how little iFans aware of his existence. I'm practically watching him since he was a total jerk of a DiDi of Tong LiYa in The Centimeter of Love till Hi!6 variety show. Another solid actor. I prefer his character with Xiao Yao too.

While the 4th ML, I have no idea who is he....:PsyWhat:  But with YZ, TJC, ZWY and DW plus great script and production this drama will be a success. I was about to start it but have not really got the time yet.

Edited by OsmanthusTea
  • Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 2

The soundtrack which is on repeat, kept me happy over a very busy weekend. Composed by renowned composer 董冬冬 whose body of works include the soundtracks for Advisors Alliance, Ode to Joy, Legend of Fu Yao etc, the songs and instrumental tracks are gorgeous, and scenes play out in my mind and break my heart as I hear the familiar strands... 风起云涌 evoking images of the opening scenes; 九命相柳 bringing me straight back to the iconic moment when Xiao Liu sees Xiang Liu unmasked for the first time; 与你飞翔 reminiscent of when Xiao Liu goes flying with Xiang Liu after Shiqi abandons her in the midst of Xuan's demands for the antidote; the poignantly beautiful 爱之哀叹 which is reminiscent of every YaoLiu aching moment, the devastating 梅林同焚 a testament to Xiao Yao's brutal death and Tushan Jing's resignation to die with her in the burning fires of the Plum Forest; the battle hymn 辰荣士 allowing Xiao Liu to finally understand the reason the Chen Rong rebel army continued to hold out despite knowing it was a futile cause.

@40somethingahjumma There are also two versions of 偏爱人间烟火 - the official one used in the drama sung by 胡夏 and 张紫宁, and the promotional version sung by Tan Jianci and Yang Zi a few keys lower, which I personally feel expressed the emotions better despite being not as technically perfect.

Edited by liddi
  • Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

Signal, Thank You, Missing:The Other Side, Children of Nobody, Misaeng, Tree with Deep Roots, Story of a Man

步步惊心, 长相思, 琅琊榜之风起长林, 平凡的荣耀, 大鱼海棠, 九州缥缈录, 风声, 剑雨

Ice Kacang Puppy Love, Garden of Evening Mists

Mother, 空から降る一億の星, Ouroboros

@40somethingahjumma I'm traveling so I can't watch it right now, but maybe I'll download the drama to watch on the plane. It's a long flight and I reckon I can squeeze a few episodes in. 

I am familiar with all the male actors except for the lead. I don't think I've seen him in another drama, but for the other two, I've liked them in the dramas I've seen them in. 

• Party! 1
On 8/25/2023 at 10:35 PM, SilverMoonTea said:

Thanks for the calling @mademoiselle, but the reverse harem tag already scared me 😂 I'm very prone shipping an unsailing ship, so I have to avoid this one. I also felt I will fell for that vampire white hair 😆, I only saw the trailer. 

If you okay with Yang Zi, I actually like Immortal Samsara a lot (sorry you recommend a drama, but I selling you another drama 😅). I think Cheng Yi's performance here quite stellar, eventhough towards ending it's a bit anticlimax. 

I did try Immortal Samsara for Cheng Yi. Couldn't get past the first episode. It looked like the same old xian xia tropes and I'm not fond of xian xia at all. I've watched 3 dramas with Yang Zi in it mainly for the male leads. :D Oath of Love, Go Go Squid and The Psychologist. She really knows how to pick them. :P

I think it's worthwhile watching just for Tan Jianci and Xiang Liu. It's a fantastic character, superbly written and Tan Jianci seems born to play it. I'm not on the main ship either which is in the scheme of things not that important to be on but there's something utterly mesmerizing about his performance. A shift in his cheek muscles, a faint smile and slight change in his eye expression. It's easy to fall for the nine-headed snake demon.

I've also changed my mind about the importance of the primary pairing. In the scheme of things, I can kind of put it to one side and still enjoy the rest of the show. Even if it all ends in tears, it's a much more worthwhile investment than The Legend of Anle.

This is another version of Xiang Liu's theme with Tan Jianci in studio and different clips.

On 8/27/2023 at 12:06 AM, OsmanthusTea said:

@40somethingahjumma

I have not watch much of this drama, only bit here and there and I can say that it's an amazing drama both in production and acting. YZ done nothing for me, I'm kinda very very familiar of her acting to the point of kinda numb and immune toward her.

I'm not a huge fan of hers either but she is very good here. It's definitely her best role that I've seen. Very layered and not a candy girl at all. There's actually a fascinating cynical edge to the character. At times it's hard to know whether to believe what she says or how much to believe. 

Personally I think Deng Wei is the least compelling of the actors. He is okay in the first part of the show where he doesn't have to do as much emotionally. But once they go back to Xiyan, it's a different story.

On 8/27/2023 at 12:06 AM, OsmanthusTea said:

The other ML, Zhang Wan Yi is one of the best actor of his generation though since he isn't liuliang so not that well known internationally. He is amazing in The Bond with Bai Yu and Song ZuEr etc. One of the best Cdrama, I can recommend.

Another one of course the beloved Tan JianCi. I'm totally surprised of how little iFans aware of his existence. I'm practically watching him since he was a total jerk of a DiDi of Tong LiYa in The Centimeter of Love till Hi!6 variety show. Another solid actor. I prefer his character with Xiao Yao too.

I wasn't familiar with Zhang Wanyi (or Deng Wei ) prior but I think he does a decent job with the role. He can bring the layers to the character which is what's needed in a historical show.

With Tan Jianci I think it's because he's mostly been in fairly serious historical dramas which don't often get seen by international audiences. Plus much of his fame comes from his dancing and singing gigs. I notice that his next release will be a contemporary romance centred show about two voice actors. I think it's called Love Me, Love My Voice.

Trailer under spoiler tags:

Spoiler

@liddi

Thank you for posting the entire OST. I am usually partial to the actors' version of theme songs and it's no different here. I love their version of 偏爱人间烟火.

@Tofu and @ktcjdrama Looking forward to hearing your thoughts here when you've had the chance.

Save travels @Tofu

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Awesome 1

I started this much earlier than I had planned... because I needed a break from Korean and want to watch something in Chinese. On ep.5 now. The acting of child actors in ep.1 were really great. It's sad what happened to both of them, and even sadder that they've met but not yet recognised each other. I wonder whatever happened to Xiao Yao when she was much younger that she has forgotten who she is. But anyway, I'm not feeling anything for the main pairing :nervous:... There is much more chemistry and tension between Xiao Liu with Xiang Liu or with Shi Qi... One reason I'm not feeling the male lead is probably due to the way he condones the spoiled sister/princess A'nian acts however she wants. I am annoyed at the way she always refers to the villagers as lowly people. 

Edited by ktcjdrama
  • Clapping Hands 2

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

5 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

But anyway, I'm not feeling anything for the main pairing :nervous:...

Cang Xuan and Xiao Yao aren't the main pairing. The crowd favorite definitely Xiao Yao and Xiang Liu but the ultimate CP is Xiao Yao and ShiQi.

@40somethingahjumma

ZWY has the most complicated lines and acting to deliver which not many actor can pull off. TJC has the responsibility to convey his emotion thru his expression/micro expression which is not an easy feat too. DW is a green actor but he is going there as long as he pays his taxes and stays away from underage girls and prostitute...:HaunterOK: He is similar to CY, both can suffer beautifully. But I agree with you that among the 3 MLs, he is the weakest link.

• Clapping Hands 4
9 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

I started this much earlier than I had planned... because I needed a break from Korean and want to watch something in Chinese. On ep.5 now. The acting of child actors in ep.1 were really great. It's sad what happened to both of them, and even sadder that they've met but not yet recognised each other. I wonder whatever happened to Xiao Yao when she was much younger that she has forgotten who she is. But anyway, I'm not feeling anything for the main pairing :nervous:... There is much more chemistry and tension between Xiao Liu with Xiang Liu or with Shi Qi... One reason I'm not feeling the male lead is probably due to the way he condones the spoiled sister/princess A'nian acts however she wants. I am annoyed at the way she always refers to the villagers as lowly people. 

Because this is the writer of Scarlet Heart at work, I think it's safe to say that the male lead won't necessarily be the one to get the girl. Or be the one who gets the girl at the end of the story. In this case because of timing as you've noted, his role with regards to her is quite different. It's the zero sum game in operation. Nobody can get everything that they want. 

The kids are great. You'll see them in flashbacks from time to time as well.

There's more than one of these entitled young women from prominent families and it can be insufferable. But they serve as a contrast to Xiao Yao who had everything taken from her. A'Nian is especially bad because of her sheltered upbringing and of course Cang Xuan giving in to her all the day. It's a compensatory mechanism. Guilt for losing Xiao Yao and he's filling a gap in his life.

• Insightful 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

7 hours ago, OsmanthusTea said:

Cang Xuan and Xiao Yao aren't the main pairing. The crowd favorite definitely Xiao Yao and Xiang Liu but the ultimate CP is Xiao Yao and ShiQi.

That is good to know :smile: haha....

Poor Xiao Yao. Seeing what she had to go through when she was little. No wonder her outlook on life now. 

On 8/25/2023 at 7:15 PM, 40somethingahjumma said:

The very charismatic Tan Jianci is incredible in this and I dug the sexy bad boy vampire vibe that he exuded with the greatest of ease especially in the first 10 episodes

What happened to him after 10 episodes? Less screen time? Stripped of power? Death? 

I am enjoying the show so far... I just hope it's good enough for me to finish it. I already have some cdramas that I didn't end up finishing... just because story not engaging enough anymore for me to pick up. 

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

MTDzeiV.gif

4 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

What happened to him after 10 episodes? Less screen time? Stripped of power? Death? 

I am enjoying the show so far... I just hope it's good enough for me to finish it. I already have some cdramas that I didn't end up finishing... just because story not engaging enough anymore for me to pick up. 

Haha... that's for me to know and for you to find out. Suffice to say, he doesn't die after 10 episodes. :smug:

It's good. I finished it in less than a week. It's probably the best or second best C drama I've seen this year. Unfortunately that's not saying much considering how many I dropped this year as well. It really hasn't been a great year for C dramas. They need to prioritize quality over quantity... but it probably does provide a lot of young people with jobs.

• Haha 2

To be honest, despite loving author 桐华 Tong Hua's works after being introduced to them through the excellent adaptation of 步步惊心 Scarlet Heart back in 2011, I did not approach this drama with much expectations due to the rather disappointing adaptations that ensued (大漠谣 adapted to 风中奇缘 Song of the Desert; 云中歌 Love Yunge from the Desert; Lost You Forever prequel 曾许诺 Once Promised adapted to 上古情歌 A Lifetime Love). It did not help that I was either pretty ambivalent about the cast, or unfamiliar with their works. Yang Zi felt shoehorned into playing similar characters in past fantasy dramas, so I was not sure whether she would deliver the duality of Xiao Yao's character. I first knew Tan Jianci from his early days in Advisors Alliance as Sima Zhao and while he was able to seamlessly portray the change from a hotheaded, warm boy to the diabolical, cruel man of later years, I could not really see him as Xiang Liu. As for Zhang Wanyi and Deng Wei, I have seen them fleetingly in some dramas that I watched bits and pieces of, but not enough to remember them. How wrong I was. All doubts were swept away when I finally did watch and I was a captive audience, often in tears and in awe, impatiently waiting for the next episode to air, filling the days in between with BTSes, moved that at last, there is a worthy adaptation after a 12 year wait.

Xiao Yao is arguably the best of Tong Hua's heroines that I've read - saucy, heartbreakingly cynical, fiercely shielding her heart while protecting those she love without reservations, ultimately practical to a fault. The violence and abuse she suffered as a child, the overwhelming fear of being abandoned, the feeling that she would never be prioritised by those who claim to love her, would shape her into the woman she became, encapsulated in her poignant, iconic words to Xiang Liu when they first met: 

"我只是个被遗弃的人,我无力自保、无人相依、无处可去

I am merely an abandoned person, with no ability to protect myself, no one to rely on, no place to go."

She does not trust easily because her trust had been shattered so many times. She hates waiting, because it reminds her of the 70-year wait on Jade Mountain, missing those who never came. She fears being alone so much so that she would risk her life just to alleviate her loneliness. The childhood she should have had was ripped from her, and she grew up too soon. Even before literally all hell broke loose in her life, she would mask her feelings behind a brave front, and later, she hid behind multiple facades, initially because she had no control, ultimately out of emotional and physical self-preservation. Yet despite it all, the core of who she is remains intact - courageous, compassionate, pragmatic - and it is that person that would draw the love of three incredible men, two of whom even while she was physically still the brash, uncouth male physician Wen Xiao Liu. We never have an actual description of Wen Xiao Liu in the book but Yang Zi's portrayal captured the essence of her male alter-ego through the shift in the timbre of her voice and her mannerisms that convinced me far more than physical make-up ever could. Her transition to Xiao Yao was perhaps lacklustre in comparison, but she more than made up for it as she nails the different facets of Xiao Yao - from the devastating moment she mistakes Consort Jing as her mother, to the mischievous girl she should and could be for a time, frequenting taverns and gambling dens with Fangfeng Bei; the fearless sister who would protect Cang Xuan time and time again way before she was equipped to do so even if it meant assassinating her own grandfather; the lover who opens up herself to trust, doing what she hates most - wait - but relentlessly walking away in the face of betrayal. 

Cang Xuan is a tragic character from the onset. Losing first his parents, then his grandmother, aunt and ultimately Xiao Yao, he understood full well his own helpless position from a young age - bullied and downtrodden by his peers. The promise he made to his aunt to protect Xiao Yao who is different and his inability to do so, first in childhood then when they were reunited, cements his determination to be strong enough to protect all he loved, and we see this as the deciding factor for his actions down the road, even when she is finally restored to his side. The book fleshes out his character early on, describing his ability to draw people from all walks of life, a quality born as much out of necessity as it is inherent, vital in his arduous journey to claim the throne. She is the most precious part in his life, and every choice he makes to keep her safe, especially when he realises her real identity, ironically ends up being the reason that would keep her further and further away from ever considering him as her life partner. In that sense, he reminds me of Scarlet Heart's 4th Prince, who obtained the world but lost the one he loves. What makes him and his relationship with Xiao Yao that much more painful to watch is the fact that had not fate determined otherwise, they should have been the ones who ended up together, loving each other the way they did since their youth, and I would have been perfectly happy. Yet their lives were changed the moment Xiao Yao left for Jade Mountain amid little Cang Xuan's devastated cries, and when they finally met once more, her heart was no longer hers alone, and he was relegated to being just her closest, dearest brother. Through Zhang Wanyi's masterful interpretation especially in the later episodes, Cang Xuan is brought to life, and I ache desperately for what could have been, should have been for him.

Ironically, Tushan Jing is not an easy character to root for, at least for me. As Ye Shiqi, I love his quiet adoration for Xiao Liu, whose compassion brought him back from the brink of hell and healed him physically, emotionally and mentally after the horrific years of torture he endured. He is the quintessential gentleman and lover - devoted and indulgent to her; a larger man willing to set aside any thoughts of revenge against his brother, unwilling to allow the vicious cycle of hatred stemming from his own mother's prejudice to continue. However, any goodwill I had for him slowly eroded after he was restored to his identity as Tushan Jing. Despite exacting a promise from her to give him 15 years, hindered by an inferiority complex due to his own physical imperfections especially after Xiao Yao's position was restored, saddled with an engagement he no longer wanted, he continued making promises which he found impossible to keep - his inability to end his engagement when outmatched by his equally wily grandmother and devious fiancée, pushed to a position of clan leader which he did not want. His indecisiveness, bitter tears and pining looks wore thin and frustrated me because out of the three men, the only thing revolving in his mind was love, which is frustrating in itself, as we do not really see the brilliant mind of the Jing in the novel, who is far more than just a lovesick puppy. Visually, Deng Wei is the perfect Tushan Jing and he does a commendable job particularly in the Qingshui Town arc, but not as much down the road, and I have to wonder whether it has to do with the way his character was written in the script, or his delivery.

Then there is Xiang Liu. Polarising from the start, he is visually breathtaking and equally brutal, feared by enemies while despised by a fraction of the men he leads, being a demon which they view to be of a lesser status than themselves. Even in those early days, he saw a kindred soul in Xiao Liu, and her unspoken wishes in her description of herself were carved in his heart, long before the lover's bug was planted in him. Unwaveringly true to his principles, he spends his lifetime repaying a debt of gratitude towards the man who saved him and treated him with kindness when he first escaped as a runaway slave, even if it meant waging an endless war and dying for a futile cause, a pledge he made long before she was even born. They both knew that they stood on opposing sides with no future unless one is willing to relent. She is afraid to allow herself to love him while he would never give her a promise that he could not keep. Hence, there is a perpetual push and pull dynamic between them, neither ever willing to openly express their feelings for each other. He keeps her at arm's length, only allowing flashes of his feelings to seep through flirtatious banter as Fangfeng Bei, while quietly setting things in motion, his love letter to her which he masks behind a series of calculated transactions, resolutely never letting her know the extent of his sacrifice. As such, the 37 years he had with her under the ocean are welcome, stolen moments away from cold harsh reality, and I hurt so much for him when the time came for him to let her go, knowing those moments would never come again. I wish their time together during those times could have been depicted as it was described in the book, but I am grateful for what we were given even if it was far too brief, and I am steeling myself for more heartache down the road, knowing how this will end. Contrary to my initial misgivings, Tan Jianci is the definitive Xiang Liu, from the moment we see him on screen to his every movement, perfectly capturing the duality of Xiang Liu and Fangfeng Bei - the micro expressions in his eyes or the infinitesimal shift in his mannerisms, augmented by the fact that he had so few lines. And now, I cannot imagine anyone else as him.

I have rambled on far more than I intended and really should stop. Suffice to say this is hands down the best drama I have watched in a very long time, so much so that when the finale to S1 ended, I was left with such a hollow feeling exacerbated by revisits to the novel, reminiscent of my days post-Scarlet Heart so many years ago. Now I can only hope that we get to see S2 soon, seeing the cast have been called back for post-production dubbing, and Tan Jianci himself expecting it to be broadcast within this year. Please let it be so.

Edited by liddi
  • Awesome 2
  • Clapping Hands 2

Signal, Thank You, Missing:The Other Side, Children of Nobody, Misaeng, Tree with Deep Roots, Story of a Man

纯甄 Chun Zhen yoghurt brand, an official sponsor of the drama, released a series of love letters from the three male leads to Xiao Yao, beautifully narrated by the actors themselves, including Deng Wei, whose voice was dubbed in the drama. 

Edited by liddi
  • Clapping Hands 1

Visualisation of dagger looks :laugh:

IA0hmpC.png

Okay, is this going to get very angsty later on? I need to prepare my heart... coz it's already so sad and ironic that Xuan and Yao are hating and hurting each other because they do not know yet their true identity. I like the way Yao found out who Xuan is though.  

• Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

MTDzeiV.gif

Feng Long's letter to Xiao Yao, narrated by Wang Hongyi. Haven't found one that is subbed so far...

@ktcjdrama The CGI is lacking compared to other productions that I have watched. It reminds me of the poor CGI in Scarlet Heart when Ruoxi and 4th Prince were in the boat on the lake amid the water lilies. From what I hear, the production team recently changed the CGI in some later scenes, though apparently it reverted back to the original within the same day, not sure why. Thankfully, the storyline in both dramas is riveting enough that the less than impressive CGI doesn't bother me anymore.

Yes, prepare yourself for more angst down the road, even in this season. Assuming the drama follows the novel closely, which from what I hear, it will, then the heartbreak will be amplified in S2. Even now, so many Yao-Xuan moments just break me - Xiao Liu coping with the torture by retreating into the happiest moments of her young life with ironically the man now responsible for her suffering; and more scenes down the road, especially now that she knows his identity even though he is still in the dark about hers.

Rewatching up to Ep7 at the moment, and I am reminded why I truly loved Ye Shiqi during the Qingshui Town arc. Deng Wei really delivers the sweet awkwardness and jealousy of the man whose whole world revolves around Wen Xiao Liu, even before he ever knew what her true form was like. By the same token, A Nian once more grates on my nerves as she did in those early days, though she thankfully redeems herself as the drama progresses. 

Please do continue to share your thoughts as you watch! 

Edited by liddi
  • Heart Eyes 2

1 hour ago, liddi said:

Xiao Liu coping with the torture by retreating into the happiest moments of her young life with ironically the man now responsible for her suffering; and more scenes down the road, especially now that she knows his identity even though he is still in the dark about hers.

Yes, that was the scene that breaks me so much. I cannot wait for him to find out. 

1 hour ago, liddi said:

Deng Wei really delivers the sweet awkwardness and jealousy of the man whose whole world revolves around Wen Xiao Liu, even before he ever knew what her true form was like.

I thought he knew from very early on that she is a female? That scene when she wanted to help him get into the bath, but changed her mind and left quickly... I like him too, from earlier time, but since he resumed his actual identity, I am growing impatient with his quietness and non-assertiveness.

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

MTDzeiV.gif

This is on my watchlist, but I’ve been hesitant to start it because I understand it is split into 2 seasons. Does anyone happen to know whether a commitment for season 2 is set in stone and when it will air? (I would be disappointed if it came to halt partway like Princess Agents.)

@liddi I’ve read the novel as well. So far, do you think the drama follows it for the most part? I usually don't care too much about this, but for this one, I feel it's important for the storytelling to hold true to the intricate details of the novel (as much as it can for an adaptation).

• Insightful 1
  • Party! 1
6 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

I thought he knew from very early on that she is a female? That scene when she wanted to help him get into the bath, but changed her mind and left quickly... I like him too, from earlier time, but since he resumed his actual identity, I am growing impatient with his quietness and non-assertiveness.

@ktcjdrama Yes he knew very early on. I meant when he finally sees her true physical form since at this point, she is still an uncouth male in appearance. I love the detail of how he shielded her from the dripping wax from the candle as she slept during her vigil beside his bedside even before he did know she was female, driven solely by overwhelming gratitude towards the first person who treated him with kindness at his lowest point. His reticence does not bother me as much here as it does when he finally resumes his position as Tushan Jing and his handling of personal affairs, which is a shame because I really loved Ye Shiqi even though I am partial to Xiang Liu.

@peperomia The cast were called back for post-production dubbing recently, and if Tan Jianci's guess is to be believed, it might air this year. Worst case scenario is mid-2024. Fingers crossed we don't have long to wait. Do join us in watching though and share your thoughts about what you think of S1.

And yes, thus far, iconic scenes and dialogue are pretty much faithful to the novel though some scenes were shifted around, omitted or changed. I do feel though that there seems to be a greater emphasis on Xiao Yao's feelings towards Tushan Jing, at the expense of the details in the novel about hers towards Xiang Liu, and I truly hope this does not carry over to S2 since there are rumours about Xiang Liu scenes being cut or replaced with Tushan Jing. With Tong Hua at the production helm, fingers crossed it does not get butchered.

• Insightful 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

6 hours ago, peperomia said:

Does anyone happen to know whether a commitment for season 2 is set in stone and when it will air?

From what I heard, China has recently set a new regulation that for any drama running more than 40(?) episodes, they need to be split into two parts. Dunno the reason why though. I would think they’ve done all the shooting, just that they have to split the whole drama. Thus the wait. 

• Insightful 1
  • Party! 1

MTDzeiV.gif