The Uncanny Counter 경이로운 소문 [S1: 2020-2021] [S2: 2023]

Tofu

Ep.15 is so tensed in the middle 😅 I had to stop and come here first. I am so worried about what might happen to one of our Counters that I don’t dare to continue. I hope nothing bad and serious. O gosh.... :nervous: should I wait for spoilers first? Could this be the thing that the original writer disagree with the production team which led to the quitting? 

eta: I’ve decided not to continue and wait for ep.16 to air so I can watch both episodes back to back. I don’t think I can handle the waiting time for finale episode if what I suspect or dread will happen truly happened. I will be off this thread (or even the internet) to avoid spoilers. Ciao. 

Edited by ktcjdrama
  • Like 5
  • Insightful 1

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

oooo should I watch it then?

Gosh the preview is making me feel emotional. They manage to get his parents' souls but my goodness , don't think they knew it was So Mun. When they said goodbye to go to the after life - mum said "Thanks student" ...:nervous:

• Like 6

Mon-Tues: -  Wed-Thurs: -  Fri-Sat:  Connection Sat-Sun: The Midnight Romance in Hagwon Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - The Double (2 June)

Today I was blessed to be able streaming the drama live when it airs.. Son Ho Jun only appear as short cameo... And literally his appearance is cut short :( Poor him. But the counter spirit partner of Ho Jun's went to Moon's body. Moon can contain 2 spirit partners?! Wi Gen did say something that Moon is like a gate between living world and Yung, but I have to make sure with the sub. And from Ho Jun conversation with Ms Chu after he heals her, he says Ms Chu is in danger if she's not careful. :( Please don't do anything to her I beg you production team :scaredpanda2:

At the beginning, we see the rest of fight between Moon and Mayor Shin. Moon somehow get another powerful boost, he can predict or feel the upcoming moves that the evil spirit will make. I think this ability was mentioned earlier in the beginning of webtoon (when I could still read it). In webtoon Moon can see the move or attack towards him, it's like the time slow down for him so that he can react.

Preview for finale episode

rough trans

MT: There's possibility that we might not be with you at the last moment

Shin: Is this what you want me to do after getting some powers?

MT: No matter what happens, you have to get up

MT: Don't we have to access Yung to do this?

MO: Let's do it one more time

MT: But how?

HN: Then this place is

HN: Will So Moon's parents recognize So Moon as 18 year old?

Mom: Thank you, student

SM: Yes

Oh no... They don't recognize So Moon? :(

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Currently Watching List:

K-drama: The Real Has Come, See You in My 19th Life 

K-variety: 

1 minute ago, abs-oluteM said:

oooo should I watch it then?

Gosh the preview is making me feel emotional. They manage to get his parents' souls but my goodness , don't think they knew it was So Mun. When they said goodbye to go to the after life - mum said "Thanks student" ...

That’s so sad... so they managed to kill off the evil spirit in Mayor Shin (duh, of course it has to be that way 😆).. I wonder why then cannot recognized him. Because he’s grown up? 

Anyway, go ahead and watch if you can wait for the finale. I think if what I dread happened, I won’t be able to sleep well tonight 😅 and for sure cannot function well tomorrow because I would keep thinking about it. It’s OCN, so we know they won’t hold back killing off protagonist characters 😅

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

Ok, I completely lied. I ended up watching episode 15 because I was too curious about what would happen after watching the ending of episode 14. 

Wow, that was a pretty interesting twist there. I guess they never said that you couldn't have two spirits inside you. So Mun is indeed our uncanny counter. Haha! 

10 hours ago, LaLa said:

Son Ho Jun only appear as short cameo... And literally his appearance is cut short

I felt the same way too! I wished it was a little longer but totally understand that cameos are not meant to be long. 

New family photo of our counters!

pGfU6WJ.png

• Like 8
13 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

@ktcjdrama For SHJ cameo, was he a counter? Did he have a lot screen time? edit : Thanks @LaLa, just saw your post.

I actually have mixed feelings about SHJ's cameo. His character Jeong Gu became a Counter when Jang Mul retired from being an active Counter. JG's specialty is healing, like MO, and that is why he comes back to Korea, to heal MO.

SHJ actually has quite a bit of screen time in episode 15, if you haven't watched it yet, and it's funny and ultimately rather sweet. They had to give his back story some heft, so that events later in the episode would land an emotional heft. Rest in spoiler because it is a major spoiler.

Spoiler

It feels as if they wanted to kill off a Counter, but not one of the main 4 or Jang Mul. But, in order for it to resonate, they had to give JG an entire back story so that we could empathize with JG's death even as the other Counters were taking it hard.

It's JG's death that is the final piece to enable SM to grow and mature, as a person as well as a Counter, and be able to hold onto his control. Along with figuring out that he can call Yung's lines when he really wants to save someone rather than really wanting to kill someone, SM needed to know that Counters can pay the ultimate price as well.

I wish SHJ's cameo had been longer, however, so that JG's death would have more of an impact on us. It felt a little rushed with a lot of new information given in the episode about Counters and their partners, and even though I was sad at JG's death, it didn't have the emotional heft that I felt when I thought MO was going to die.

Still, it was a good episode, and SHJ was very endearingly cocky for his cameo, even as he shows his heart and his affection for the motherly MO and the others after all.

Now, on to the finale, though the preview is rather heartbreaking. I can't believe that SM's parents didn't recognize the grown up SM as their son. Also, SM had something that he had to tell his parents, but it looks as if he never gets to tell them.

Still, I'm happy that the Counters are going to win over Evil Shin Demon.

Btw, I'm actually rather glad that the Evil Demon is inhabiting Mayor Shin's body rather than the Orphan Shin. Orphan Shin was breaking my heart with his back story of loss and pain, as well as his protective instincts over the orphans at the orphanage.

• Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 3

@stroppyse I got round to watching eps 15. Though my hopes are dashed for SHJ to perhaps appear for S2 , I’m glad it wasn’t the original 4 that had to go. I was actually quite worried when Mae Ok wasn’t well & when she ended up alone with Shin Junior ( who was possessed) - I was concerned they may kill her off . 

It was definitely important that So Mun has  the sort of powers he has now , given that the Level 4 Demon is equally as powerful with the ability to inhabit any body it wishes & having a number of evil spirits being united in its body . Having two Yung partners in his body with different abilities means that SM is the most complete one . At least now they don’t have to rely on Mae Ok alone to do all the healing . 

From previews , it’s comforting that they managed to overcome this demon . I only hope that SM’s parents will recognise him before they go to the afterlife 

OST 3

• Like 5
  • Heart Eyes 1

Mon-Tues: -  Wed-Thurs: -  Fri-Sat:  Connection Sat-Sun: The Midnight Romance in Hagwon Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - The Double (2 June)

Hehe, a few late opinions. I guess I'm lazier to write full write ups since no longer in quarantine and will probably take a break from live dramas soon since nothing takes my interest lately, The Uncounter Counter being my most favourite watch for Dec- Jan so far....think I'm gonna catch up on older dramas & non-Asian dramas once all my current dramas end in like a week or 2.

Episodes 11 & 12

-The kidnap of SM and watching the counters get beat to a pulp was terrifying and exciting. I really do like the bad guys to be strong so that it's a challenge for the good guys to beat them. And an odd thing I like is when bad guys 'team up'...I guess it's a scary thought when evil comes together. :lettalKWA:  But it did really hurt especially since we all love those characters sooo much. I was so scared for MO being beaten up to the point of nearly dying.:letalQQ:

-I have to say JBG's acting here was pretty good in the torture scenes...he looked a real mess and so scared. I was super confused as to how he managed to summon WG, but glad he did so that our Counters did not die in a pit of fire. :PiplupCry:

-Also was happy to hear JM and MT call out those in Yung for not treating the Counters right by penalising them, but not offering more support in times of crisis like this :lenny:

-I feel like it was so bittersweet learning about <O's back story. I just imagine the guilt she'd feel when her child literally slipped from her fingers :cry: But I feel like her love was so strong that she stayed alive to keep him alive in Yung.

-I really love those warm family moments with the counters epsically when they teased MT for going on his date...it was so cute how they told MT to bring her home and were teasing him about not knowing which clothes a woman would like :laugh:

-Detective JY's death was so so so sad...I think especially because she survived the wound but then slipped away...it made me wonder why MY couldn't catch her when she was in Yung though to say a final goodbye? :thinking:

-I really loved the way SM was able to comfort MT though...sure he can be such a kid...but I think he has so much heart and empathy...and has been through so many hard times that he seems wise to pain and suffering :BulbaOWO:

-I loved that the counters played the mayor at his own game...JM was super convincing as the rich man willing to co-operate with the greedy major and MT was convincing as the car repair guy with health issues :laugh: Haha, it was so comical how they literally stole the suitcases by transporting from one care to another and replacing all with water!

• Like 4
  • Heart Eyes 2

Currently watching: My Lovely Runner // Chief Detective 1958

Current Obsessions: ❤ Lee Jae wook // Byeon Woo Seok - Sun Jae has run away with my heart!

Podcast: These Dramatic Days

Episodes 13 & 14

- Upon a re-watch, still going to say the pacing felt a little funny, but maybe because it's not that someone else wrote the episodes, but more that it had been so gradual in it's build up of things...but then a lot of things...maybe too many things... happened in 2 episodes? :thinking: 

-The murder of Detective, the introduction of staffs, Shin suddenly deciding to go back to his orphanage, Shin's death...Its was a lot for 2 episodes?! :poliWeird:

-Shin's orphanage story was random, but I felt like it was interesting that he still had enough of a heart to feel sorry for the kids. And it's quite sad to see he lived such a life of abuse which would drive him to have such rage...it seems none of his fathers were truly his fathers or caring parents :letalQQ:

-As for Detective JY's murder, I felt so devastated for MT...the timing! The poor counters have all had such tragedies in their lives. But I was really glad her assistant at the police station was actually an honest kid and helped to get the corrupt cops. Hope he appears in the story as a promoted cop! :BulbaOWO:

- Ughhh, the little kid who saves Shin :pandarage2: I normally like kids....but I have to admit I was soooo annoyed! Hello kid, you were scared of him and witnessed him kill someone recently!

- The death of Shin and the spirit becoming the mayor was terrifying...his bully son was so evil, but I actually felt sorry for him this episode because his father was literally going to kill him :lettalKWA: But it was more sad for SM who was really stressed about his parent's souls disappearing forever. :letalQQ:

- Maybe I also felt it was choppy because of there were a lot of side character scenes which sort of tied up little loose ends, but didn't feel all that important to the main story like SH's wife meeting her ex-mother in law MO and crying...But then they had to weave back into super dramatic demon scenes. Still I guess it was nice to feel like certain characters had their stories tied up for sure. :idk:

• Like 4
  • Heart Eyes 1

Current Obsessions: ❤ Lee Jae wook // Byeon Woo Seok - Sun Jae has run away with my heart!

FINALE - Eps 16 spoiler from Naver: https://www.news1.kr/articles/?4190654

optimize

In the final duel with Shin Myung-hwi, all the counters joined forces. When Shin Myung-hwi was on the last defensive, he informed So Mun that his grandmother and grandfather were in danger.

The truck headed quickly to the car that grandmother and grandfather were in. So Mun was greatly agitated. Shin Myung-hwi said, "Don't you know I'm the only one who can stop this accident?" But So Mun said, "No, I trust me, my sister, and us." The counters all joined forces to stop the truck.

At that time, Shin Myung-hwi's face was changed to a mother of So Mun. The power was relieved from So Mun. Choo Mae-ok (played by Yeom Hye-ran) said, "So Mun, She's not your mother. Mom, dad - you have to save them. Don't be fooled."

So Mun finally shouted, "Please go now!" and Shin Myung-hwi's face was changed to Ji Cheong-shin. When the evil spirit escaped, the truck stopped and the So Mun's grandmother and grandfather were safe.

So Muns went up to  meet Wigen (Moon Sook) . “We are all grateful to you,” Wigen said. The souls of evil spirits will soon be here. Then you will be able to meet your parents.

The evil spirit Ji Cheong-shin appeared in front of them, cursing, "Do you think this will be the end? This fight will continue forever. This cursed destiny, everyone around you will die because of you".

But So Mun goes, "No, I don't care if this is the beginning, not the end. "I'll fight and fight until there's not a single demon like you left, and the most important thing is that you're done."

In unconsciousness, So Mun could meet with parents again. His parents did not recognize the rumor that has turned 18, and So Mun only shed tears. As soon as he turned his head, the parents recognized their son. They hugged and sobbed.

• Like 6

Oh man... I am going to miss this uncanny team so.much. When is season 2 coming out? Not next month? 😅

Finished ep.16, it was a great wrap-up. Prepare your box of tissues by your side though, you’re gonna need it.

I will be back again to post longer. For now I need to go to bed already because have quite a few things lined up for tomorrow morning. 

I do wonder though, was that a PPL for the tailor service at the end? Not liking the new uniforms, don’t think they can maneuver and fight as well with such uniforms 😆

• Like 4
  • Heart Eyes 2

MTDzeiV.gif

15 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

I do wonder though, was that a PPL for the tailor service at the end? Not liking the new uniforms, don’t think they can maneuver and fight as well with such uniforms

It actually lines up with the webtoon (see spoiler tag). I looked through some of the season 2 clips and they do go back to their usual uniform. I guess these are supposed to make them a little more polished? I don't know, but it was nice to see them in suits. Haha!

Spoiler

This is the webtoon's profile picture:

3xm8XHT.png

WyjNITE.png

g074vEn.png

SBLw5xR.jpg

• Like 3
  • Insightful 2
  • Heart Eyes 1

giphy.gif

The end of season one is finally here! I think for the most part, the drama did well wrapping up all the storylines as much as they could. It gave everyone the ending we wanted to see the most -- So Mun meeting his parents. 

I was so touched by the scene with So Mun and his parents. I was and also wasn't surprised that the thing So Mun wanted to tell his parents was to apologize for lying. He's such a good kid with a pure heart. 

Speaking of apologizing, I am happy to see Shin Hyeok-U also going around apologizing to all the students that he's hurt. He has a lot of trauma that he has to get through so I hope him the best in his journey. Hopefully, he'll show up in season 2, even if it's only for a bit. 

I had fun watching this drama with everyone, thank you for sharing your thoughts with all of us every week! Can't wait for season 2!!

fCuMI01.png

• Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 3

I loved episode 16! I thought it was a lovely wrap up of season 1, and possibly a hint at season 2.

I really liked that the big fight with Demon Shin happened early in the episode, so that there was plenty of time for the aftermath to happen. I was still sad for Orphan Shin who had harbored Demon Shin and fused with him in those unspeakable acts of murder and mayhem. I can't help but think of poor Oprhan Shin who was abused by the adults who should have protected him, and was so desperate for love that he even accepted pain as a proxy for love. I also have to say that the images of hell are pretty unnerving in this drama with all the mud people overwhelming the new meat that gets tossed down there.

Anyway, I appreciated that this drama didn't rush the reunion seen for SM and his parents, and so happy that his mother eventually recognized him when SM couldn't even bring himself to say anything. I found the scene touching, as did later when HN helps SM's grandparents "meet" SM's parents.

Not to mention, the assumed romance between SM and HN that everyone alludes to is actually funny, mostly because HN doesn't seem as opposed to it as she had initially, and SM seems to have a crush on HN anyway. Their dynamic is cute, though, as HN finds herself opening up to SM, and he doesn't want to impinge on her good graces, but his protests don't have much force behind them. When HN is introduced to his parents, for instance, it's actually cute and funny that SM tells HN that she has to greet his parents anyway, and even places his hand behind her to bow. It's a bit of skinship that would have been unthinkable at one point.

The little romance between MO and JM is awfully cute, even if MO fell asleep during their drive date. And, HN finally accepts her memories of her family even if she can't understand what they did.

It was nice that Shin Hyuk Woo also apologized to everyone he bullied before he transferred schools. Both his and Shin's stories seem to be about being abused as children and the ramifications of that. However, even as Shin was being turned into a monster, SHW seemed to have kept a core of humanity to come back to.

Anyway, there was a nice balance of fight scenes, emotions, and humor in this finale to make it worth watching twice already.

If there is a season 2, I'll happily watch it, but season 1 felt complete in itself as well. Thanks to everyone who shared this thread! It was a lot of fun, and hope to read your posts in other threads!

• Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 3

Finally watched the last episode tonight! :wow: This series has been such a source of joy during these last few months....am sad it'll be awhile till I see my counters again. But with that said this was like the perfect ending, even if they didn't choose to do a season 2

Episodes 15 & 16 (finale)

-After the last 2 episodes, I was really glad the series ended back with the sort of pacing it had throughout the rest of the show. I was worried they'd be cramming too much in...but it seems like they got through a bunch of things in 13/14 and went back to that nice balance of action and family warmth and humour. :BulbaOWO::hearties:

-Ughhh....they did that thing for the mayor which freaks me out in horror movies...they made him look into the security camera, full aware that his son was watching him and laugh manically :lettalKWA: 

-SHJ's cameo as the Counter JG from Singapore was so much fun! I loooved the way he rubbed JM the wrong way as his replacement because he was so disrespectful in the first meeting. Also their banter when JM told him he was late even with chartered plane and JG said he should have sent a limo too :laugh: And then all his trash talking with the counters during every car ride where he tried to talk himself up and they were not having it :laugh:

-But I was so sad about what happened to his character...it's like he literally came to heal MO and then passed away :letalQQ: And he was so caring towards her too...I feel like his talk to MO is very ominous for next season, especially since they keep saying they never want to lose another counter again :lettalKWA:

-The most touching scene for me personally was the mayor's bully son eating at SM's house where the grandparents treated him so warmly. It was particularly heart-breaking after SM shows us his memories of his unhappy home life. What I really appreciate about this series has been it's reminder to us that sometimes those people we hate actually have very sad back stories...and if we can all acknowledge that everyone is suffering and be more empathetic and reach out, maybe we find we're not all that different after all. :BulbaOWO:

-Like @stroppyse, I'm glad they had the battle with Shin-Mayor at the start of the episode so they could tie up the last episode nicely in all areas. I knew he'd used the parents to try to trick SM, but was surprised he got to the grandparents too :poliWeird: It was very satisfying to see this end though

-The humour was so point for the last episode, which was great too. From the fact that everyone totally downplayed MT's act of pushing the truck by acting as though he was a show off...to the gangsters saying it was not to late to pray now that they were in Yung :lol:

-SM's long awaited reunion with his parents was so touching...and it was no surprise that he wanted to tell them the truth and to not feel so guilty. If only kids who have had a similar experience (feeling survivor's guilt when their parents passed) could have some sort of closure like this in the real world :letalQQ:

-Another really touching reunion was the one with CJ the counter who died. I loved that they showed the same family warmth with him, as if no time had passed between them since his death. Having them meet at the noodle shop, his old HQ was perfect :hearties:

-For SM's grandparents, I was wondering why SM didn't tell them he had had a dream about meeting his parents...but the series did me better with SM asking HN to give them the dream to experience themselves....haha, I liked how they teased the romance as a joke with SM's parents "meeting" HN :laugh:

-You know, who had a real romance though? MO and CJ...haha he finally got his drive with her! :heart:

-I agree with @ktcjdrama that the tracksuits look more comfortable for fighting and travelling across the country though as @Tofu said they were following the webtoon. I think it was just a celebratory. status thing....they'll probably go back to tracksuits :lol:

-It really was such a lovely ending - from the mayor finally going to jail, his son apologising to those he bullied and SM spending time with his friends again (They are also the greatest friends - I love that they were always understanding and there wasn't the stereotypical fighting with him because they felt left out etc). Loved this series so much...Thanks everyone for sharing all your insights as well as additional content! :wow::heart::CharmanderYay: Looking forward to s2!

• Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 1