Hometown ChaChaCha 갯마을 차차차 [2021]

15 minutes ago, Chocolate said:

It is awesome @JenL. I have problems even doing a video for my standard work presentations so this is quite amazing. How long did it take to do this and did you have to prepare a script or did you just record off the cuff?

Oh Thank you for your lovely words! :heart: I think it took 3-4 days. There's still room for lots of improvement, but I'm glad people seemed to have found some value from it!

The voice recording was in between scripted and freely-speaking - I had thought a lot about my theories for days (You know me, overthinking dramas all the time. Always having too much to say :laugh:), but I felt like I would sound unnatural if I read from a paper, so I put down some dot points and talked about them as if I was explaining to a friend. Hopefully it came across a little bit like that! :yayaya:

• Star Struck 1
  • Heart Eyes 2
  • Clapping Hands 1

Currently watching: Doctor Slump // Queen of Tears // The Impossible Heir

Current Obsessions: ❤ Lee Jae wook // Park Hyung Sik // Yoon Park

Podcast: These Dramatic Days

Even though I wasn't fully engaged with parts of the story but there's no denying that I loved the visuals & chemistry.  He's done enough rom-coms. I would really love to see him in a melodrama or something

This scene was nice 

• Like 4
  • Heart Eyes 2

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

@JenL the video is awesome! I didn’t know that you started doing this. That’s a lot of work for sure, and yet you still manage to write down your thoughts for many dramas to share with us here. I subscribed. Looking forward to many more videos from you :CharmanderYay:

The finale was well done and I love a lot of what happened as the wrap up for everyone. Still a little tearfest at the beginning but I like the messages we are shown in this finale episode. 

• Heart Eyes 3
  • Clapping Hands 3

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

I started and stayed through till the end of drama because of the casts.. From the lead characters to the supporting gave a brilliant performance in their own way while delivering the warm and lovely stories of living in the seaside village. There were times when I felt the plot could be better in some way, but overall I am quite satisfied with how they wrapped it out. 

I'm going to miss the beautiful scenery of Gong Jin (or Pohang, the real city where they shooting at). 

• Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 3
  • Clapping Hands 1

Currently Watching List:

K-drama: The Real Has Come, See You in My 19th Life 

K-variety: 

1 hour ago, Chocolate said:

Er, so how much exactly was the lottery? 😂

1.4 billion won, before taxes and charges. So he received 938 million won, and he donated most of it until left with only around 300 million won, which is around USD 253,000 or SGD 341,000

• Like 1
  • Insightful 3
  • Haha 2
  • Clapping Hands 2

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

1 hour ago, Chocolate said:

Er, so how much exactly was the lottery?

2 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

1.4 billion won, before taxes and charges. So he received 938 million won, and he donated most of it until left with only around 300 million won, which is around USD 253,000 or SGD 341,000

Hahahahaha I love that we're calculating this. I was curious too and whether that was considered enough for a house. The tax was quite high though, I think 33% ...? (I haven't watched with subs yet). Sigh, it's not enough to pay off a house here. 

• Haha 8
17 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

The tax was quite high though, I think 33% ...? (I haven't watched with subs yet). Sigh, it's not enough to pay off a house here.

Seriously? Then you need to move to Korea 🤣

From what I know, taxes for this kind of prize money is usually higher, of course every country will differ. We need to ask @abs-oluteM why. 

• Haha 6

MTDzeiV.gif

37 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

From what I know, taxes for this kind of prize money is usually higher, of course every country will differ. We need to ask @abs-oluteM why. 

In some countries it is treated as form of income/ earnings & definitely will be taxed. And usually when you win as much money as this, it is way beyond the lower income brackets, so tax rate can be high. Taxing the "rich" is a form of income redistribution- tax is a form of government revenue which will then be used to pay for things like welfare, public goods to help the poor etc (ideally that is the intention). 

But it really depends on the govt policy. We have no tax on lottery earnings here in Malaysia & a lot of countries don't either.  My FIL bought lottery religiously all his life till he passed away. He won quite a bit but my MIL thinks he probably spent more than he won ( but his kids just let him since it seems to bring him much joy. LOL ) 

• Haha 7

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

1 hour ago, ktcjdrama said:

Wow he's so generous! Must be a really nice guy lol. If he had a girlfriend at that time, sure cannot donate so much 😂 That's not much left.

Edited by Chocolate
  • Haha 7

I realise I have a badddd habit of writing episode summaries, but then not doing it for the last episode for somethings I've watched :laugh:Don't be surprised if I suddenly update an old drama because that's what happened...Overall, I enjoyed this drama and there were a lot of things I liked about it...I think it was quite thoughtful and layered and I had lots of fun talking about it, but like @abs-oluteM , @LaLa and @ktcjdrama and many of you expressed, there were elements that I also  didn't feel for and so this drama falls short of really being a favourite. Still, no regrets watching and the performances were all really great!

Episode 16 (Finale)

- The thing I am happiest about: I guessed the lottery winner on my wildcard guess

:CharmanderYay::CharmanderYay::CharmanderYay: Hahaha, I started off thinking Du Sik or Grandma Gamri, but it seemed too obvious and so the other guess I couldn't get out of my mind was Police Officer Choi - I thought it would be ironic that Mi Seon would hear the story and then literally run into the winner. Also suspecious was that she gave him a ticket which just seemed to foreshadow that he was the winner.

But NO, I AM THE WINNER FOR GUESSING CORRECTLY :Party01::laugh: (Ok I'll calm down now)

- But back to the start of the episode, I found the funeral to be touching because everyone was gathered there and it was nice to see how every villager grieved for her in their own way. What I liked about her death was that it actually showed the start of Du Sik's recovery process. Because he was able to break down and cry and really express sorrow, I think it helped him to process his feelings. Also this time it was more clear to see that death will happen regardless and the things in his life were not his fault. :letalQQ:

- I liked that there was an episode to round off everyone's stories. :heart: I feel like the pacing is good when we get to the end and the events gently bring the drama to a close - you can see that the writers are sensible, not rushing to squeeze ridiculous new ideas they can't possibly resolve well in time. Granted, due to it's more slice of life-y genre, this would be weird for this drama...but over the years, I have definitely been disappointed so many times to have writers suddenly decide to introduce a NEW accident or missing parent or long lost evil twin or something at the episode 14-16 range of the drama :lettalKWA:

- Things I liked: it was good to see Grandma GamRi's son revealed. Also that he felt bad about not making time for his mother - he wasn't a bad son, just human - a lot of us can sometimes take our parents for granted. I really appreciated the tying up of all the relationships - haha it looks like Hwa Jeong will always be really into her husband, but it was good to see that he's now nice towards her since he's had his wake-up call. I liked that the friendship has continued between her and the teacher, Cho Hui, because she really was very sweet. I also thought it was nice that the Seong Hyeon did introduce Juri's dad to a music show since he featured him in his variety show...so that old muscian's dream finally came true. I kind of wish they'd made a scene of JUNE attending Grandma Gamri's funeral, but I guess it also made sense that he didn't (as an idol)....a scene that really stuck with me was everyone gathered together to watch the airing of the variety show. I love that sort of happy community scene. Another scene I liked was Hye Jin finally bonding with her step mum - she seemed like a really understanding lady :BulbaOWO:

-As for Seong Hyeon, I didn't have second lead syndrome this series because aside from feeling like that character is so erratic like me :laugh: I thought it was weird for him not to have confessed all those years ago when Hye Jin had broken up with her old boyfriend and then to suddenly have had such deep feelings after 14 years no contact? I was glad they gave him someone to like. But I still felt like that story was a bit weak since he'd learnt his lesson with Hye Jin, but continued not to really confess or even make his feelings obvious for ages. I'd be so mad if I was that girl because she can't wait around forever...but at least he kinda got there in the end? :idk:

- I was a little disppointed at how much product placement was in the final episode though. I know product placement is inevitable for the money, but I feel like it should be banned from the last episode of a drama - if it has to happen it should be spread out, not consecutive ads in the last moments! :KittyBan: But maybe the requests came in last minute or they paid more for higher ranked episodes :HaunterOK:

- I still think at times the romance in this series was a bit too much over the top and I treally didn't like it when Hye Jin went into baby voice :SquirtlePuke::SquirtlePuke::SquirtlePuke: TOO MUCH. BUT with that said when they did beautiful romance, it was very beautiful. I love the scenes where they played in the water at the beach...and I liked that they mirrored it again in the last episode. I also liked the proposal, because it was actually funny - the romance was so much better when it didn't take itself too seriously and there was humour and warmth rather than mushiness. I'm glad they didn't go full wedding - I liked the runaway bride and groom scenes and their wedding photos by the boat were so pretty :heart:

-Overall, the series was fun to watch and I feel like the series finale left me very satisfied. I think what I didn't like at times was when things were cringe, the cringe factor was a bit too uncomfortable. I mean this about conflicts and people behaving badly or being prickly to each other...or when the romance was over the top. This discomfort made it hard to feel connected to things at time. But when it was warm and funny, I really enjoyed the drama. There was actually a lot of layers to unpeel not just for the main characters, but every villager, and this made it fun to talk about compared to those dramas things are really straightforward and predictable. I definitely liked the mysteries and was hooked on solving them..but also thought the side stories worked well and there was a richness in things like symbolism with details like Du Sik's house (one of my favourite things was his house!) and also even the books he chose to read. Anyway, I'm glad I watched it! :MewHi::CharmanderYay::hearties:

Edited by JenL
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 3

On 10/18/2021 at 3:25 AM, abs-oluteM said:

The actor's name is Kang Hyung Suk. Think I will look out for him in the future.

Hahaha I know him as the creepy stalker from DDSSLLS...which is why I laughed that he was an awkward nice cop in this series :laugh: Still, he seems nice in real life. 

I like his character because he was my correct guess :wow2:

On 10/18/2021 at 3:05 AM, ktcjdrama said:

@JenL the video is awesome! I didn’t know that you started doing this. That’s a lot of work for sure, and yet you still manage to write down your thoughts for many dramas to share with us here. I subscribed. Looking forward to many more videos from you 

Thank you for your lovely support!!! :heart: I will try my best to make nicer things in the future!

21 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

21 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

Hahahahaha I love that we're calculating this. I was curious too and whether that was considered enough for a house. The tax was quite high though, I think 33% ...? (I haven't watched with subs yet). Sigh, it's not enough to pay off a house here. 

20 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

In some countries it is treated as form of income/ earnings & definitely will be taxed. And usually when you win as much money as this, it is way beyond the lower income brackets, so tax rate can be high. Taxing the "rich" is a form of income redistribution- tax is a form of government revenue which will then be used to pay for things like welfare, public goods to help the poor etc (ideally that is the intention). 

But it really depends on the govt policy. We have no tax on lottery earnings here in Malaysia & a lot of countries don't either.  My FIL bought lottery religiously all his life till he passed away. He won quite a bit but my MIL thinks he probably spent more than he won ( but his kids just let him since it seems to bring him much joy. LOL ) 

Wait. People get taxed when winning the lottery?! :shocked2::shocked2::shocked2:

Pretty sure you don't get taxed if you win the lottery in Australia!

Hahaha also Thanks for doing the maths @ktcjdrama...I was highly impressed that you just laid those figures down for us :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Also Thanks for explaining the system in Malaysia too @abs-oluteM...I'm covered if I ever win in any of the 2 countries I'd be likely to buy a lottery ticket in! :pandatakeit::pandatakeit::pandatakeit:

On an off topic, have you guys heard the negative rumours surrounding Kim Seon Ho??? 

:lettalKWA::scaredpanda2:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Heart Eyes 1

On 10/17/2021 at 6:35 AM, abs-oluteM said:

Actually this drama did deviate from the movie. If I remember correctly (from reading)  the pair did separate for a year and reconnected after that.

OH THANK GOD. 😄😄😄 I'm so happy we got all the sunshine we needed after the storm. I really wish this was how MMH ended but I'm fine with it now. We need some variety so maybe back to back all out good endings wouldn't have been as effective.... (Or that's just what I want to think out of it now..😄)

Ijun's acting, especially in the last couple of episodes, was superb. So many feels when he was crying. I hope to see more of him in more shows in the near future. 👍

And speaking of seeing in other shows... Halmoni...  Halmoniii. 😫 I hope the next time I see her in a show, her legs are injury free and she gets to live. 😄 She's 3/3 in both categories from what I've seen her on.  Her death here was uhm... Gosh I can't find the proper word. I was going for something in the line of "beautiful" but I'm not sure if its appropriate, but I hope it makes sense. 

Spoiler

Mouse, Squid Game, and now HTCCC. 😄. She injures her leg and dies in all three.

At this point in my kdrama watching career (still pretty short actually) I have come to embrace PPL's and the "creativity" in how they are shown. I feel like most people would do so at a certain point I guess? Sure they can ruin the immersion but I just find it so funny now when it's so absurd. That Domino's ad came out of nowhere! 😄 Imagine driving from Seoul all the way to Gongjin just to have pizza delivered. It must be that good right? 👌 Thanks to BTIMFL, I always imagine some young assistant writer doing their best to intentionally troll the viewers with PPL.

Anyway. I am satisfied. Thank you HTCCC.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Clapping Hands 3

Yea.. I'm so late to the wrap-up party ya, lols. I just got the time to watch, cuz watching this I really need exactly 2 hrs without skipping any scenes. 

Ep 15 was so emotional. I bawled my eyes out through the episode. I kind of annoyed with those who likes to blame other for them to feel better. I mean they did it for them to continue living while what they're doing also making the other person in pain. But I'm glad they finally resolves everything well. I think ep 15 really worths my tears. 

Then here we finally got our happy ending. I see a spoiler before I'm watching. Just a glimpse of HJ in her white dress with a pretty flower bucket. It's not kdrama if they didnt give us that hope but ending it with different story. Well, at least it is still a very happy ending. I love the proposal scene so much!! That was quite unique! I mean they go from serious, sweet to comedy and back to romantic again. Yea, like that if you know what I mean, they're just nit that conventional. Loved how we still get some flashback moments of their first encounter. Explaining how DS's trully feel or how coincidencely HJ's car passed by DS by the brigde. There are too much for this to be called as coincidence, they're meant to be together, a fate. Also, he got her that diamond necklace for her!! Aww, so sweet!! Where could I find a husband like DS for myself???!! Lols...He even agreed to the contract that he'll do any household work for her. Awwww... 

Spoiler

Seriously, I really wanna see them walking down the aisle and saying their vows. Then they can end it there or something liie they sail on boat honeymoon, then the end... something that kdrama rarely give us, oh well. 

This drama ended with such a meaningful way. Tho it has some flaws but it is still really good. I feel like I'm healing while watching them. And also if you need a good cry this one gives you the right dose of it. 

P.S. so many ppl scene in this drama, even that pizza mukbang appears to be so random, lols. I think they succeed in selling whatever they plan for that, the Gongjin tourism, I love the beach and the people who lives in this small town. No wonder it goes viral and more fans visiting their filming set. If someday I got chance, I'd love to visit here too for once. 

Kkeut, done! I will miss this drama. What's next after this??

Edited by Alice Wonderland
  • Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 3
  • 3 weeks later...

I know I am late. Like really really late but wanted to get some things off my chest. Healing drama, my sandals. Did DS even heal? His friend's wife refused to apologize for her cruel words. It was an accident and yet she acted like DS pushed his friend in front of the truck or something. The assistant PD's dad never told the truth to his family, neither did DS. He just took the blame. He hallucinated his friend "forgiving" him but has he really healed? I don't think so. 

I am not convinced DS and HJ will last. They barely know each other for 5-6 months before deciding to get married. The trauma that DS had was just glossed over after he fell in love. Not realistic at all. Such trauma manifests and would make him super paranoid about HJ's safety. The correct course of action would have been the drama showing HJ going to DS's counselling with him and him slowly getting better.

Not to mention, HJ and DS are so different, how will they make it work? They are not really compatible at all. DS cares nothing for money, status, title, but HJ was still all about it in the last episode. I can really foresee DS just giving away his hard earned money to the villagers anytime they are in problems and HJ won't take it kindly. Yes, HJ probably earns 100 times what he does but a marriage is about partnership now a days. HJ can't be the only one running the house and what happens if DS gives away his money and HJ buys some jewelry instead of helping too? She will also keep pushing him to get job title due to her ambition. HJ likes showing off and I can't see her telling people her hubby has no job or respectable title in the future. She will be pitied/taunted by her snooty friends/colleagues and I don't think she will take kindly to that. It will lead to her pushing him to get a better and stable job especially after having children. I am sorry but their pairing; if thought of logically; is a disaster waiting to happen. 

I honestly think Ji PD and HJ would have been a better pair and they make more sense. They have a rich history between them and not just 2 coincidental childhood meetups. I am also not convinced Ji PD really had any feelings for the writer. She seems like a consolation prize and I think she deserves better.

All said and done, it's an OK show. Healing drama it was not and the cutesy aegyo just made me cringe. Would I rewatch? Nope. Not even for Shin MinA.

Edited by YourHighness
typo
  • Clapping Hands 3