Bossam: Steal the Fate 보쌈 - 운명을 훔치다 [2021]

Jung Il Woo And Shin Hyun Soo Portray 2 Very Different Types Of Romance In “Bossam: Steal The Fate”

May 22, 2021
by L. Kim

fccb85d229ac4c34a6554f79552eb063.webp

Jung Il Woo and Shin Hyun Soo are capturing hearts with their very different romance styles in “Bossam: Steal the Fate”!

The historical drama is about the fateful romance that occurs when a mysterious rogue named Ba Woo (Jung Il Woo) accidentally kidnaps Princess Soo Kyung (Girls’ Generation’s Yuri), the widowed daughter of King Gwanghae (Kim Tae Woo). Shin Hyun Soo plays Dae Yeop, Soo Kyung’s friend and brother-in-law who has a soft spot for her.

Spoilers

Ba Woo and Dae Yeop are polar opposite from each other. While Ba Woo is rough and manly, Dae Yeop is sweet and protective. Viewers are in a dilemma about which character they like better. Check out the different ways they approach romance below!

Ba Woo: A tsundere who tries to get redemption

Ba Woo and Soo Kyung get off to a rocky start. He kidnaps her in an attempt to remarry her to another man. Fortunately, he changes his mind and saves her from an unwanted marriage, but she has nowhere else to go.

Her father-in-law Lee Yi Cheom (Lee Jae Yong) is trying to kill her, and her father King Gwanghae is secretly planning to use that weakness to defend his royal authority. The only one who doesn’t turn a blind eye to her is Ba Woo.

Ba Woo may seem cold-hearted, but he is the perfect example of a tsundere, a Japanese term that describes a person who is seemingly cold-hearted before gradually warming up to their surroundings. He pretends not to be concerned about her, and yet, he can’t help but take care of her. Despite his harsh words, he doesn’t hesitate to save her when she’s in danger. Soo Kyung seems to be warming up to him as well, and she even saved him from Dae Yeop’s sword.

However, things are still rocky between the two. Ba Woo was heartbroken after he found out her father-in-law is none other than Lee Yi Cheom, the one who killed his family. Viewers are eager to see how Ba Woo and Soo Kyung’s relationship will progress despite all the obstacles in the way.

bossam-steal-the-fate.jpg

Dae Yeop: A romanticist who never forgets his first love

Dae Yeop always struggles to protect Soo Kyung. When she was kidnapped, he attempted to keep her safe from his own father. Dae Yeop may be Soo Kyung’s brother-in-law, but in fact, she was his first love. Previously, it was revealed that Soo Kyung was originally supposed to be married to Dae Yeop, but for some reason, Lee Yi Cheom made his brother wed her instead.

That doesn’t mean Dae Yeop gave up on Soo Kyung. He continued to stay by her side, and he never stopped being in love with her. When Dae Yeop found Soo Kyung, he said, “As always, you are the one and only precious person in this world.” Then he stole his father’s Myeong Sa Cheol Gwon, an important seal that grants forgiveness to the one who has it, and made a deal with the king to save Soo Kyung’s life. Viewers are touched by his unchanging love for her, and it will be exciting to see if his efforts to protect her will pay off.

Episode 7 of “Bossam: Steal the Fate” airs on May 22 at 9:40 p.m. KST.

• Like 2

ezgif-com-gif-maker-47.gif

Just now, ktcjdrama said:

I finished ep.4~!! Really enjoyed the storyline and the characters also. Nice pacing and development so far.

You'll be proud of me that I hardly watched them on high speed @SilverMoonTea 

Omg I'm so happy. :heart:

@abs-oluteMSatisfied customer here. :laugh:

I seldom do sageuk on full speed as well. But these one keep me wanting for more. As it's funny, adventurous, but have warm feeling with the sudden union of fake family. 

@ChocolateHow about you and the 60" tv? Haha. Good progress on this? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, SilverMoonTea said:

@LaLa2:05 what did she say? Lols and who knows you might want to watch this ahahah

They bickered the usual stuff. Don’t save me, don’t bother about me, hope we don’t meet again, things like that. SK was saying because you said you don’t want to see me again. Then he kinda said why do you remember those stupid things? (He claimed there was a reason why he said that but it doesn’t matter now) So she replied, do you think I want to remember them? But every word you said, every action you do, I cannot forget them. They keep reappearing in my mind ~ something like that, so he hugged her 😁

These two, I think I am like the little kid, laughing whenever they bicker. Always saying things opposite of what is in their heart. 

Anyway, I have to rant that Dae Yeop is becoming annoying for me. Especially in this episode. His persistence is not helping at all 🙄 and turned out that 3 years ago, the night before she was married off to his brother, she asked him to elope somewhere together but he couldn’t do that for her. And now he insists on being with her. This guy doesn’t think far... I am kinda sad because I like the actor, but I really dislike his character here. I think he will die later though. 

Edited by ktcjdrama
  • Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

8 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

I am kinda sad because I like the actor, but I really dislike his character here. I think he will die later though. 

Actually in the interview they said eventhough 3 of them start in wrong note , in the end they also will become friends. He's actually quite a sad character. He must be quite brokenhearted, how the girl he loved become sister in-law. Btw his brother died so fast, not sure if its for natural reason?

Btw rating hit 7.7%, the 3 of them will dance in Instagram Reel soon. :eeeee:

Spoiler

On May 23, Jung Il Woo and Girls’ Generation’s Yuri’s historical drama “Bossam: Steal the Fate” achieved its highest viewership ratings to date. According to Nielsen Korea, the latest episode of the drama scored an average nationwide rating of 7.7 percent, marking a new personal record for the series.

Cr soompi

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1

1 hour ago, ktcjdrama said:

So I read somewhere that Ba Wu means big stone and Cha Dol means little peebles 😃

Anyway, is this drama 16 episodes or 20? I read different information on the total number.  

I can not find the exact info from MBN page but some naver blogs say it’s 20?

also thank you for the trivia about Cha Dol and Ba Woo ! 

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 1

Plop Cat GIFs | Tenor

After episode 7-8, it is revealed that Kim Dae Seok a.k.a Ba Woo is indeed from the royal family, a descendant of Queen Dowager Inmok and her father Kim Jenam. It was five years later after King Gwanghae reign, that Northern Faction leader Yi Cheom instigated elimination of major players that will become threats in solidifying their power , including Kim Jenam's family. 

Bossam: Steal the Fate' drops first teaser poster, Jung Il-woo's new still  cut | Kdramapal

I can't find more readings about Kim Jenam, which prolly the production took artistic license to expand his story, including Ba Woo / Kim Dae Seok. It was a brilliant move, considering that there are more key political figures during King Gwanghae 's reign who were tried and killed because of power struggles. Based on records, Kim Jae Nam 's family were all executed--a good leeway for the writers to indicate that they may have died on record but still living in hiding, like Ba Woo. (Other stories with same scenario were The Princess' Man, Tale of Nokdu and Queen In Hyun's Man ). 

What is more interesting on this historical references is when Sookyung mentioned about Hong Gil Dong, which became a popular literary figure from King Seonjo to King Gwanghae's reign. Said publication is written by a renowned scholar Heo Gyun, which circled his political connections with King Gwanghae and Yi Cheom. Heo Gyun, was also tried for treason, something that also plotted by Yi Cheom eventually.

밀당커플's supporter (@yuwre) | Twitter

Also, Bossam made two references to history with regards to Princess Sookyung. (1) Historically, Yi Cheom, in order to gain more favor in the political arena, let her grand daughter marry the crown prince. (2) Sookyung could be the unnamed daughter of King Gwanghae from Royal consort So-ui of the Papyeong Yoon Clan . The timeline of her birth versus on the story may have adjusted to fit for the narrative (born in 1619, which is quite a significant age gap if we will align with Ba Woo's age in the story).

sources: 1 / 2

• Like 1
  • Insightful 2

Plop Cat GIFs | Tenor