The Red Sleeve Cuff 옷소매 붉은 끝동 [2021-22]

it seems like MUCHADOBOUTLOVE/MIMI is updating every week this link and reading more on the historical stuff gives more layer to understanding the landscape of the drama, 

The Red Sleeve – Notes and Historical Stuff

EP 5 – 6 afterthought:

• The coming-of-age ceremony or Gyeryesik (계례식) is an important milestone in a court maid’s life, where she dons the green ceremonial jacket wonsam and puts her hair up in a bun while wearing a coronet called jokduri. While in normal setting, the ceremony would be symbolizing her new beginning as an adult, it’s like a wedding ceremony for the court maid; she officially becomes one of the king’s women, since all court maids and court ladies belong to the king. I find it quite funny and sad at the same time to have San mistaking Deok-im for being made a concubine; the hairdo is quite a stretch for a court maid, but on the other hand, if it really happens, he has no power to stop it from happening. I’m also reminded of what Yeongjo said about Yeongbin in the first episode…
  • Yeongjo’s suggestion about regency makes it clear that the drama is around the year of 1775. While it is normal for a grandpa to dotes on his grandson with endless praises, it is scary to have a king talking about handing over his throne to his successor while he is still alive. Yeongjo was known to be temperamental and used to threaten to abdicate his throne so many times over the years. In this situation, the court and the Crown Prince would have to plead for him to retract his decision. Although Yeongjo is merely talking about making San a Prince Regent through the Prince Regency (대리청정), that is enough to make the court tense as the last time someone became the Prince Regent, it didn’t end well. In history, Jeongjo did carry out the regency in the year before Yeongjo’s passing…so that probably leaves us a step closer to see San in his red dragon robe.
  • I am excited to find out that they are going to show another important ceremony in the Inner Palace, which is Chinjamrye (친잠례) or Sericulture Ceremony since there’s a chance to see another interpretation of the robe worn by the Queen in the ceremony. But then, the drama probably decides to follow the practice of the late Joseon, where the women participating in the ceremony would be wearing their wonsam and the Queen her jeokui, instead of the yellow and blue gukui.
  • Court Lady Jo’s intention is revealed in this week’s episode and it is now clear that she is not on San’s side; the reason being San having the possibility of going crazy like how his father did and harming the lives of the court maids and eunuchs. Is that why she is planning to push Deok-im into San’s embrace so that the anti-San movement can get a new justification? That the heir to the throne is idling around with a concubine instead of putting his mind and soul into grooming himself to become a good ruler in the future? Well, that kid has gritted his teeth for so long without stirring much trouble that I bet he won’t be shaken…or maybe, it’s Deok-im who will keep her promise of protecting San.
  • The questions asked by the Queen (Jang Hee-jin) to Deok-im are among the actual questions said to be used during the queen’s selection, and Queen Jeongsun was chosen because Yeongjo liked her answers. However, it is clear that she also finds Deok-im’s answers intriguing, from how she reacts afterwards.
  • The dog painting San looks at as he muses over the memorial during the anniversary of his father’s death belongs to Crown Prince Sado.
  • In my opinion, Deok-ro and Princess Hwawan might be best friends if not for their conflicting interests; one wants to see San sitting on the throne, while the other isn’t going to let that happen. Both of them are so insecure and afraid of having another person stealing their limelight in front of the person they serve. Still, I am happy to see Deok-ro being so good at what he is doing in order to achieve his goal, but one question remains: what happens once San becomes the king? Is Deok-ro going to support his king with all his heart, or will his ambition pushes him to dream of becoming someone above the king?
  • I didn’t expect to see Deok-ro’s sister quite early, but it is just a proof that the inevitable is coming soon. The girl Deok-im helps to enter the palace will later be selected as San’s concubine per Deok-ro’s plan, and for him to warn Deok-im against being close to his sister is quite sly and crafty of him. Is he a fortune teller, or is it simply because he is quick-witted?

FOR EPISODE 1 - 4 CLICK HEREhttps://thetalkingcupboard.com/2021/11/17/the-red-sleeve-notes-and-historical-stuff/

Edited by czakhareina
  • Like 1
  • Insightful 2
  • Clapping Hands 1

I had one sleepless night. this episode has taken over my saturday night- wee hours of Sunday. and the subs could not come fast enough, it was so frustrating, I was so hyper and wired that I keep waking with just a few minutes sleep....   

so I ended up also doing my duty to watch it 1000times, like @abs-oluteM @mademoiselle 

I feel like everyone in my TL was falling all over themselves like DeokIm was because of his Junho..

Kya:wow:

@Mizv the court ladies are all scared and want to avoid being serving him. and here they are thinking they are escaping by pushing the unsuspecting maknae DeokIm to face the wrath of San... not knowing that it was such a genius idea...

though really, here I am watching everything and I would have been:

i-volunteer-i-will.gif

11 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

I think San lost his soul here when he finds out Deok Im also likes him

Full preview

or maybe that is his imagination....

though if it is really happening, he is powers of manifestation is strong... hahahaha

and trending ratings increase. Yay.

Upward RSC...! please soar

Edited by czakhareina
  • Haha 4

Episode 6 of Behind the Scenes

Episode 6 clips

Moments between  DI and the queen, this is why you cast Jang HeeJin for this roles

Spoiler

the Complexity if King Yeongjo

Spoiler

50 minutes ago, suhodorable said:

I will backread again later but I wanna drop this here for now first lol

lol 

I do need to move no from the bathtub scene cause I have a lot to do.

but dropping this, uhoh....I am at it again... haha

Edited by czakhareina
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Tasty 1
8 hours ago, czakhareina said:

do need to move no from the bathtub scene cause I have a lot to do.

but dropping this, uhoh....I am at it again... haha

ahahah... I watched it over & over !  Was sizzling.

Am watching with subs and I love those conversations between the door cracks. There's something candid and unfiltered about it. It felt like she got to know his heart better & vice versa. Of course when he called her by name and said she was his person, I was squealing hard.

I am also paying attention to a lot of things that Deok Ro is saying. It is polite but so full of bones. There's a coldness in his remarks, and now that he knows how much Deok Im means to San, he's feeling insecure about where he stands. Before Deok Im , he was San's closest confidant. 

Queen is also an interesting character but I quite like her. She too needs ally because she was so young when she married the King , so Princess Hwawan shows her no respect. I believe with her help San  may find it easier to ascend the throne. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Heart Eyes 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

It was all butterflies and rainbows at first, but the moment Deok Im has to run another boss's errands, jealousy strikes in to Yi San. The bath tub scene I think is another good moment to study their dynamics. It clearly did not follow the novel but the contrast is that at one moment, Deok Im sees Yi San as a man when she saw his abs.

Her clumsy self came out as she jumped right in because she wants to cover up him using her body LOL

When I first saw it last night, it did not make sense to me how she fell down like that. But she actually jumped right in! 

Yet if you think about it, what had transpired moments ago was really sad. Yi San was insecure and Deok Im was defenseless from all the scheming. The skinship which the pair did not expect is something they deserve to have after being away from each other for a few days.

• Haha 5

I guess I don’t need to ask who else replayed the last scene of ep.6? The answer is quite obvious :laugh:

No wonder tension is high. He was brewing his jealousy while bathing. He really didn’t have to get up and help her with the bucket of water actually. But of course, love made him do that to a person who is supposed to serve him instead.

I had thought DeokIm would obediently take over the duty but it was hilarious that the other girls were pushing and shoving her into the bathroom. Yes, I did wonder why he was in the robe when bathing. And I noticed he took it off, but why he bothered to put it back on because it is DeokIm serving him :smug: I don’t understand... I really don’t... :laugh:

• Haha 4
  • Heart Eyes 1

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

@ktcjdrama My question is, do they really take baths with clothes on??? It seems like in the novel, Deok Im's internal thoughts of her mother taking a bath also has clothes on. How can one be sure it's clean then? LOL

Another question is... do they not bath every day? Deok Im's mentor has to beg San's personal court lady to draw a bath for him today and from the convo it doesn't sound like they "draw a bath" for their masters every day.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
13 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

do they not bath every day?

I can answer you on this... yes, they do not bath every day. It’s difficult to draw a bath, and it’s more like a ritual too. Water is scarce. Only the rich gets to bath more often. Mostly they just wash their face or wipe down. Actually, lots of people are still not bathing/showering everyday too, only wash their face, depending on countries. 😆
As for whether or not clothes are taken off when bathing, I think only those who lived during those times can answer hahahaa... 🤣

• Haha 3

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

3 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

His hand sneakily (?) moves from her arm to her waist... tsk tsk

San has been itching to hold her and probably show his affection. Remember, he was deprived of her presence for like 3 days maximum? And the next thing he sees was Deok Ro harassing her.

2 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

He was brewing his jealousy while bathing. He really didn’t have to get up and help her with the bucket of water actually. But of course, love made him do that to a person who is supposed to serve him instead.

San got up instead because again, thanks to his jealousy, he offended Deok Im once again. Well he thinks that he has been feeling one-sided the whole time, but that was not the case. Actually Deok Im felt a bit hurt if you noticed her tone, like she shifted from that "friend" back to slightly being just his "one of the many court ladies". He felt sorry for reprimanding her so that's why he's helping her out with the hot water (He coldly ordered that request anyway).

2 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

And I noticed he took it off, but why he bothered to put it back on because it is DeokIm serving him :smug: I don’t understand... I really don’t... :laugh:

Hurt boi doesn't want his crush to see his vulnerability. He wasn't expecting her to be there anyway. If he wasn't feeling jealous, I don't think he would wear the undergarment back anyway.

I feel like this whole bathroom's bath tube scene is probably one of the worst fights the duo ever had. Deok Im doesn't even tolerate shit, and even though both of them are really upset, she tries now to dissect what was going on San's mind. So in a way, it's a give and take route for both of them. San has always known what makes Deok Im upset. But this time, I like that Deok Im is now trying to figure out his feelings and thoughts. The dynamics was well shown in there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Heart Eyes 1

The ending scene was so good. The attraction & tension was pretty explosive - and we're talking about two late teens right. All the hormones raging. LOL! 

Anyhow we have to thank Deok Ro for being the catalyst to this jealous rage. Deok Ro's ambitions are becoming clearer and clearer to Deok Im and I am glad she told San what DR has been doing - harassing the court ladies for information. @suhodorable agreed with you that this has been one of the more intense arguments they have had.  But this is one of the things that I like about San and Deok Im. They have a pretty open & direct communication. He is not one to hold back what he feels or thinks when it comes to her , and she too has courage to speak up. I can see this being a positive for their relationship.

4 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

His hand sneakily (?) moves from her arm to her waist... tsk tsk

In today's times , he would be a college kid...a young man who full of passion ! :LaxEat:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Heart Eyes 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

Just now, mademoiselle said:

I thought this is already out last week?

They gave the teaser last week only.  Glad this is out now cause I always like alot of Ben's OSTs . Think it's her voice quality 

• Heart Eyes 1

You know what @mademoiselle I suddenly feel excited for MBC Awards...I hope they have,  but MBC did so few dramas this year. The Red Sleeve is their best so far. I expect our leads here to win acting awards  if they do. Daesang will & should go to Nam Goong Min of course.  But this show can win best drama !

@suhodorable These two are such geeks. Actually at first I didn't get why she told him she didn't know the answers but  realised when you posted that on twitter . I love how different they are from his because hers was quite out of the box and it was very deep. 

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 1

9 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

Am watching with subs and I love those conversations between the door cracks. There's something candid and unfiltered about it. It felt like she got to know his heart better & vice versa. Of course when he called her by name and said she was his person, I was squealing hard.

I love those scenes too. 
even from ep5 with them reading the love poems reading, I think their chemistry and subdued tension was very palpable in that scene. 

San is such a nerd, he knew and memorized those poems. if this was the modern time, this scene would probably be a serenade.  

8 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

Please stare at it again  100 more times.

Thank you for that again. I mean I've watched the clips a few hundred times, but it never seems enough.

I do commend Junho again, his diet and exercise paid off. He looks soooooo fine.
but honestly there are a lot of people to thank for this scene, first would be to the PD and the writer for putting this in, to Deokim for for jumping him,  and lastly to the Kdrama traditional post-military shower scene. they deserve an award...! :laugh:

6 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

Yes, I did wonder why he was in the robe when bathing. And I noticed he took it off, but why he bothered to put it back on because it is DeokIm serving him :smug: I don’t understand... I really don’t... :laugh:

here is my speculation on it, 

I think it as joseon so modesty was at its highest it is a tell tale sign for San, DeokIm and as as audience on how San differentiates DI form other Court ladies. he did answer in  this scene to DI that she does concern him; and thus any other court lady who would have entered he would not have cared on modesty cause he treats them as servants, but with DI he sees her as a woman, and the one he likes. . 

2 hours ago, suhodorable said:

This drama just proves that this two is our nerdy couple lmao

Nerdy couple for the win on such sizzling and high string sexual tension...!

Edited by czakhareina
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Heart Eyes 1
2 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

And then on the 31st Dec we can tune on KBS2. :smile:

I was only planning to watch KBS since all my fave pairings are there. But if MBC has theirs the day before I will tune in. In fact it will be just before the finale for this show if they don't delay airing of episodes. 

1 minute ago, czakhareina said:

I do commend Junho again, his diet and exercise paid off. He looks soooooo fine.
but honestly there are a lot of people to thank for this scene, first would be to the PD and the writer for putting this in, to Deokim for for jumping him,  and lastly to the Kdrama traditional post-military shower scene. they deserve an award...! :laugh:

He deserves to eat a lot of fried chicken after this. I am praying hard for 10% so that they can go on the radio show. I would like hear more of their insights of their characters now that episodes are airing. I wish this was a Netflix one where they can do those Swoon videos and we can have the leads watch the bath scene together. :Ghastlel:

• Clapping Hands 3

Episode 6 | Behind the scenes

English subbed

screenshot-2021-11-28-at-5.45.25-pm.jpg?

CLICK HERE

Ben - The Star That Never Sleeps

LIVE

Spoiler

Guy who does San Calligraphy

1 hour ago, mademoiselle said:

@abs-oluteM Deok Im is 18 (based on coming of age ceremony) so that'd make San 25 years old. :MewGiggle:

Oh I see. Yeah Ben has a nice voice. She sang quite a number of OSTs which I liked in the past.

based on what's happening in court, when San is being called to be the Regent. the year for the drama is 1775. that would make San 23 (International age). then he ascends the throne by 1776...

40 minutes ago, abs-oluteM said:

You know what @mademoiselle I suddenly feel excited for MBC Awards...I hope they have,  but MBC did so few dramas this year. The Red Sleeve is their best so far. I expect our leads here to win acting awards  if they do. Daesang will & should go to Nam Goong Min of course.  But this show can win best drama !

I worry about that the award shows for MBC< not only cause they had a few, but also most of their dramas were so low rated except fr the Veil and Red Sleeve....

Definitely Daesang for Min...!

Maybe MBC could not want to invest in their show because they will lack viewers for their award show too... I hope I am wrong...

Edited by czakhareina
  • Like 4