The Red Sleeve Cuff 옷소매 붉은 끝동 [2021-22]

@ktcjdrama Oh yay you are here! The villain(s) here will be multiple people/groups depending on the timelines. Princess Hwawan is definitely an enemy (see spoiler tag below). Deok Ro himself was expelled in real history because of his desire for power. Yi San faced a lot of challenges before accession because he was opposed by the faction so I think Court Lady Jo and Left Minister are the representative characters of such faction. Yeongjo's Queen in the future will also be at odd with Yi San's as she became quite powerful later on but the drama may not cover this far.

Spoiler

Later in 1760s, Crown Prince Sado was executed in 1762; Royal Noble Consort Yeong, their mother, died in 1764. Princess Hwawan was asked to be the protector of Yi San, son of Crown Prince Sado and the new crown prince, and he would be later King Jeongjo of Joseon. Around the time, Princess Hwawan was much trusted by her father, and the young crown prince could remain safe in the rest of Yeongjo's reign[1]: 140 . However, in attempt to control him, she estranged the relationship between the crown prince and crown princess (later Queen Hyoui); her adopted son, Jeong Hu-gyeom was involved heavily in troublesome Political factions in Joseon dynasty (between the Hidebound and Opportunist Factions). The mother and son, along with parties from some of the officials, caused the family members of Lady Hyegyeong (who bore Jeongjo) to fall from power[1]: 153 , which threatened the identity of Jeongjo as a crown prince.

Eventually, Jeongjo ascended the throne in 1776, following the death of his grandfather. For a long time, Jeongjo was willing to forgive Princess Hwawan, for she being the favorite daughter of the late king and his aunt. Yet, since the beginning of the reign, numerous officials asked the new king to execute the princess of her acts. Eventually, Princess Hwawan lost her title, becoming a commoner in 1778.

@Tofu Yes I love the cinematography and how the camera panned around and showed the whole dragon. It felt like a sign of authority as well with the King entering where the head was and the hug scene ended with the camera zooming up on the dragon (with no eyes). Because of it I couldn't be sure whether what King Yeongjo said was truly believable, lol.

Love Lee Jun Ho's voice here! His sageuk tone is really good too I think :heart: Was his voice normally this deep? I haven't seen his dramas for a while, can't remember.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 2
  • Heart Eyes 2

@mademoiselle his voice is normally deep, but I think he lowered it more, (like 1 tone or 2 deeper)  

and here he is singing with his deep voice:

About Hwahwan seeing how vicious she is in this drama, I am happy that she was stripped from her title. haha. And i think Seo Hyorim also has finished all her scenes, so it means that she would be the first arc's villains. with the Queen and probably the court lady being a latter one...?.

Regarding the different factions...

I feel for DeokIm, especially with the number of times she rejected him for the duration 15 years. I think seeing that very complicated family politics between San and his family, she knew it was just to dangerous to be in that situation. 

San was born for that place, plus he got ways to counter it. but for her. he life was literally in the hands of people who can make a better argument. it didnt even matter if the argument was better or not. 

then when you include the ministers and the even the court ladies. :nervous:

MBC had this post:

who would you choose? 

For the young court ladies would definitely choose Deokroo, cause they are fangirls...

and I just wanna say I kinda laughed and rolled my eyes at their reaction of waiting and en masse going after the girl that was rumored to have  interaction 'their oppa' royal lecturer... 

I choose, San, cause he is Junho. and I am fangirl....

Edited by czakhareina
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Junho actually spoke a lot lower than his usual speaking voice tone for The Red Sleeve, and I'm glad it stood out among viewers (kinda reminds me how it's unbelievable for Lee Min Ho to say "Yes, Pyeha" in his scene with Woo Do Hwan, like how????).

Btw, I found 3 Instagram posts made by a Hottest fan subber who gave her input about the differences between the novel and drama adaptation, plus extra info about how the casting works came to be for the drama adaptation.

Post 1

Post 2

Post 3

Next, I found this translation of what King Jeongjo wrote for Deok Im's ancestral rite

Edited by suhodorable
  • Like 3
  • Insightful 1

@czakhareina Ahh in comparison between that scene and the scene from Twitter you've posted, he did lower his voice a bit more. Smexy though, hahaha! Regarding who I would choose... in reality, none. I don't want to associate myself with politicians especially from that era, in fear I'd lose my head any time (and freedom).

@suhodorable LMH changed his voice for TKEM. All his previous dramas his voice was quite nasal and higher pitch but none of that in TKEM and yes, I remembered the "Yes, Pyeha" scene as well. That was a good scene.

• Like 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Heart Eyes 2
1 hour ago, czakhareina said:

For the young court ladies would definitely choose Deokroo, cause they are fangirls...

and I just wanna say I kinda laughed and rolled my eyes at their reaction of waiting and en masse going after the girl that was rumored to have  interaction 'their oppa' royal lecturer... 

I cracked up at this scene...these court ladies are like sasaeng fans ...lucky she gave the umbrella away.

SPAWWA7.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Mon-Tues: Lovely Runner  Wed-Thurs: -  Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: The Midnight Romance in Hagwon Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - 

I just saw this thread and their love IRL is so sad!

Spoiler

Thinking of Hyun Bin in Fatal Encounter (Yes @mademoiselle @ktcjdrama it worked, I will start this), it sent me to wikipedia:

- She became consort in 1782

- Gave birth to Prince in 1782

- Gave birth to Princess in 1784 who dies shortly after birth

- Prince died when he was 4 years old in 1786

- She died in 1786, 5 months after her son died and her 3rd child died with her in a 10-mth pregnancy 😭😭😭

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 2

On 11/21/2021 at 12:05 AM, abs-oluteM said:

LOL....this man...he's just pretending she will become invisible to him. See how whipped he is.

Spoiler

other evidence

he goes angry mode for these court ladies, with lcokced pay,lashing and punishments... (who was rather fee)

for having unkept hair, being late and being overly friendly...

but with DeokIm, who clearly called him a "jerk"... a liar... and annoying...

he even kep twaiting for 3 days

Spoiler

FErzmd4VgAICHFD?format=jpg&name=large

and then when they do meet with all things revealed

he makes her sit beside at the same level as him

then gives her 30 minutes to speak her mind and treat him as hey were before.. 

definitely whipped...!

Edited by czakhareina
  • Haha 4

we have book version, drama version, webtoon version...

how about lego version

47 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

@czakhareina Yep. VERY WHIPPED. Must be the "salt" and being the first woman who dares to sweep him off his feet, I mean, swept him out of his own library...

oh my gawd thats awesome. definitely, figuratively and physically swept off his feet...!!!

and looking forward for him to finally admit it verbally soon..

cause I need this:

before we go to the "sad mournful romance between the king and the court lady" they touted this to be

Edited by czakhareina
  • Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 3

@Chocolate I am actually prepared for the ending...I watch many depressing shows ( almost equal to the rom-coms that I tend to watch !) and a lot non-fusion sageuks are a bit sad. But it is an incredible love story from whatever I have read. The first 4 episodes has quality and Jun Ho owns the scenes he's in. 

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1
  • Party! 2

Mon-Tues: Lovely Runner  Wed-Thurs: -  Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: The Midnight Romance in Hagwon Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - 

16 minutes ago, abs-oluteM said:

But it is an incredible love story from whatever I have read.

This is what I look forward to. Their love story. In fact, I think the love story of his grandparents must be quite something too, for the King to break the rules/traditions and go see her one last time before burial.

• Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 2

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

The unreleased cut in episode 2 that @czakhareina shared hahahaha I felt like they decided to remove it because they don't want us to root for the bromance anymore :pandahehe:

Btw, I found out that the thread @Chocolate shared is a translation of a Naver blog post I shared last time. I will share the links again under the spoiler tag for better organization hehe

also

no wonder I am actually getting the Goong vibes while watching The Red Sleeve!

and a funny coincidence lol

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 1

One of the unreleased cuts
@czakhareina So what it is that she has to lose? Is it him????  :heiboi:

"I'm afraid of being court lady. Back then, I was afraid of nothing because I had nothing to lose.But come to think of it I do have something & I'm afraid of losing it. Aren't you scared of palace? I am scared of it."

This is subbed 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

NG cut Collection 1

Nice fanart

4 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

One of the unreleased cuts
@czakhareina So what it is that she has to lose? Is it him????  :heiboi:

"I'm afraid of being court lady. Back then, I was afraid of nothing because I had nothing to lose.But come to think of it I do have something & I'm afraid of losing it. Aren't you scared of palace? I am scared of it."

I think, this scene was said to be a scene after she saw San's mom, and given the circumstances i probably two things that she thinks she would lose at this instance:

- HER LIFE - her recent experience of her life hang in the balance between the royals, the aunt threatened to place her in 100 lashing, the king threatened to just kill her, sans mom threatened to expose his traitor father that could lead to her being killed or a slave. Even san also hibted about hee life with asking if she has 10 lives to spare. 

- HER FREEDOM / CHOICE - san's  mom gave her an order to spy on San and she was given no choice of the matter. Its do this or death. so do this!!!

I think being DeokIm she values her life and choices she makes, but being a courtlady she is powerless and on the whims of these royals.

At this point i think, DeokIm though has built some respect for San, she has never even thought or considered the idea of any attachement to San. So other than be a servant that respects and does her job, San is her master and the sky, and nothing more...

Edited by czakhareina
  • Like 2
  • Insightful 2

Lee Junho and Lee Se Young’s ‘The Red Sleeve Cuff’ Remains as Most Popular Kdrama for 2 Consecutive Weeks

BY Shai Collins Nov 23, 2021 02:40 AM EST

MBC's Friday-Saturday series "The Red Sleeve Cuff" remained superior at the buzzworthy Kdrama for the third week of November.

The rankings are based on the data gathered by GDC from news articles, blog posts, videos, social media posts, and mentions on various online communities.

'The Red Sleeve Cuff' Proves Influence in Various Program Rankings

The historical romance drama "The Red Sleeve Cuff" stayed as the most popular Kdrama beating Song Hye Kyo and Jang Ki Yong's "Now, We Are Breaking Up."

‘Now, We Are Breaking Up’ & ‘The Red Sleeve Cuff’ Episode 4

According to the newly released list of Good Data Corporation, Lee Junho and Lee Se Young's first tandem together is getting a lot of attention from the audience, making the drama hailed as the most-watched series for two straight weeks.

KBS2' "The King's of Affection" soars to the second spot while "Now, We Are Breaking Up" makes it at the third spot.

See the Full Ranking Below:

1. "The Red Sleeve Cuff"

2. "The King's Affection"

3. "Now, We Are Breaking Up"

4. "Young Lady and Gentleman"

5. "Happiness"

6. "Jirisan"

7. "Secret Inspector and Joy"

8. "Reflection on You"

9. "Melancholia"

10. "Inspector Koo"

In addition, "The Red Sleeve Cuff" not only ranked first in the drama category, but also second in the drama and non-drama Top 100 rankings for all 223 programs that currently airs in South Korea.

MBC's new drama stimulates viewers' emotions especially during the ending that leaves a lingering impression in each episode. Even though the drama had just released four episodes, the numbers of viewers keep on increasing every week, both domestically and abroad.

'The Red Sleeve Cuff' Episode 4 Highlights

In "The Red Sleeve Cuff" episode 4, Yi San (Lee Junho) tried to distance himself from Sung Deok Im (Lee Se Young), but ended up becoming his personal maid which made it hard for him not to notice the court lady's presence.

Meanwhile, Hong Dong Ro (Kang Hoon) was in trouble when he tasked one of the guards to kill Sung Deok Im during their secret meeting with the crown prince. Yi San, who came to rescue the court lady from being punished, gave another interest for the viewers to anticipate the next "The Red Sleeve Cuff" episodes.

MBC Drops Collection of NG Cuts From Previous Episodes

Apart from the video teasers and behind the scenes footage, MBC shared the first collection of clips from "The Red Sleeve Cuff" stars and their "No Good" takes.

Watch how Lee Junho, Lee Se Young, and the rest of the cast displayed good team work while acting and enjoying every scene of the drama.

LINK: https://www.kdramastars.com/articles/122843/20211123/lee-junho-se-young-s-red-sleeve-cuff-remains-popular.htm?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Party! 1
4 hours ago, czakhareina said:

HER FREEDOM / CHOICE - san's  mom gave her an order to spy on San and she was given no choice of the matter. Its do this or death. so do this!!!

I checked that the Deok Im deleted scene is scene #42, which was before Princess Hwawan pulled her hair the following day, and before that scene in between is when she met Yi San's mother.

Deok Im could have served San without the spying work, but she ended up needing to do it without a choice (because she promised his mother ahead).

-

I found another IG post made by the Hottest translator. She compared again between novel vs. drama and she touched on the book reading line read by Lee Se Young. Also check out the comments section as the translator also touched on the subtitles made by OTT platforms.

Btw, I kinda noticed that the subtitles from Viki for episode 4 wasn't that good? What are your thoughts? I think Viu was able to convey better for episode 4 because even the nuances that are slightly missed, I was able to catch upon it (especially from Junho's part as he delivered his lines well lol)

Edited by suhodorable
  • Like 2