The Red Sleeve Cuff 옷소매 붉은 끝동 [2021-22]

Watching eps 2 midway but have to come here and gush. I think I am crushing hard on CP Lee San. Going to catch the tiger himself - not something a crown prince would do. His answers to his teachers also demonstrate wisdom & intelligence.  I just love the way that Jun Ho is portraying him with so much intensity. He masks the pain he feels ( because of his father's mental illness & subsequent death) with arrogance. But you cannot hate him because he cannot get closure or go against his grandfather for this. I felt his pain when she read those lines that reminded him of his father. I can understand why the court ladies and servants would be afraid to serve him. He has no choice but to be extremely guarded and to raise an emotional fence since his place as CP is never secure. The weight on his shoulders will be an extremely heavy one.

FEIYGj5VQAQDuLV?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

Mon-Tues: Lovely Runner  Wed-Thurs: -  Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: The Midnight Romance in Hagwon Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - 

Good news! I'm in for this drama! Will continue episode 2 tomorrow. The show did well in gripping my attention with Ha Seok Jin's cameo in the ghost story! Haha! I was puzzled why this had anything to do with the drama at first. xD

By the way, my understanding was historical record (Sagi) is banned from reading by the King himself. How is it that not only Yi San got a hold of it and the King is flipping through his own records like nobody's business? The book is torn which is even worse.

That said I find it interesting that the show is using real names after Mr. Queen's and JE's controversies. It helps a little in because I'm familiar with these historical figures as they were played by Song Kang Ho/Yeo Jin Goo (Yeongjo), Yoo Ah In (Sado) and So Ji Sub / Hyun Bin (Jeongjo) before.

P.S. I didn't read the plot/sypnosis so I only know the plot now.

• Party! 3

@mademoiselle they plan to stick to history as close as possible according to what the PD said during the press con. And I suppose  with some liberties that will be taken for the romance, since it also follows the novel

You can check this Soompi article

https://www.soompi.com/article/1498100wpp/2pms-lee-junho-lee-se-young-and-more-share-how-they-prepared-for-their-traditional-historical-drama-the-red-sleeve

And the HSJ cameo was so random. LOL...I thought he was going to be Prince Sado ( Lee San's dad) 

-----------------------

The entire apology letter incident made me laugh. Lee San was definitely having fun teasing & "torturing" her. So cheeky !

But I like that because he was pretending to be Deok Ro, that they got to each other sans all that royal protocol and etiquette. And so they got to know each others real personality and values. I dare say there's already mutual admiration though not quite affection or romance yet. 

A couple of things I am wondering about. Historically , Lee San was married at 11 and the crown princess was  9 then ( she will be the queen). I wonder if that will be addressed in this show.  I don't see any character listed that will play her. Or did I miss it?  In fact @LaLaand I was just talking about it on twitter. And while his teacher Deok Ro , the one all the court maids swoon over, seems to be his confidante , will he betray Yi San?  Ever since he took credit for Deok Im's help over the banned book fiasco, I question his integrity. 

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

Mon-Tues: Lovely Runner  Wed-Thurs: -  Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: The Midnight Romance in Hagwon Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - 

1 hour ago, abs-oluteM said:

A couple of things I am wondering about. Historically , Lee San was married at 11 and the crown princess was  9 then ( she will be the queen). I wonder if that will be addressed in this show.  I don't see any character listed that will play her. Or did I miss it? 

This is also odd too. But in episode 1, they established that the ladies will be the Consort once they married a male royal. In the relationship chart released by MBC, there is no sign of the "crown princess" too.

Perhaps they're gonna remove that part then?

Edited by suhodorable
typo error
  • Like 2
  • Insightful 2
1 minute ago, suhodorable said:

Perhaps they're gonna remove that part then?

Hello dear. Glad you popped in here to chat.  hahah you can see I am pretty excited with this show. So glad the 1st two episodes met my expectations. 

I am not sure as well  ...I tried checking on Asianwiki and MDL etc but I don't see a role for the Crown Princess ( and future Queen). Let me ask @czakhareina. Maybe I overlooked this.

In c-dramas , I think audience might be quite open to harem type shows but I don't know if kdramas will go that route - the audience may have a hard time accepting the ML having other "wives" especially viewers these days. 

Does anyone know about the name of the novel or has read it ? 

• Like 4

Really enjoyed ep.2! Didn't expect to laugh so much :laugh: The salt throwing, the pushing back to the shelf and face fall flat on the books, the multiple editing of the apology letter... 

Maybe it won't be as melo as we thought it would be? Well, unless there are some insecure women scheming to make Deok Im's life miserable. In ep.1, the King even said that Deok Im's fate might be the same as Lee San's grandmother...

• Like 5
  • Clapping Hands 1

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

Wow loving this drama! 
Any tips explaining who the three women are with the King? One is the mother of CP 

So all the court lady’s are to be married to CP?

that’s alot ….. 

correct me if I am wrong please.  When the King dies all his concubines transfers to the Crown Prince??  

where did DI go when she got sick with the fever? The Queen did say she had left the palace.  I assume DI received an exclusive education since everyone relies on her to read and write.  I guess that was part of the Kings gift to her. 

Edited by Mizv
  • Like 2
  • Insightful 2
  • Clapping Hands 1

25 minutes ago, Mizv said:

Any tips explaining who the three women are with the King? One is the mother of CP 

They are the royal consort or concubine to the King if I am not mistaken. One of them was the one who plotted for Lee San to be in trouble with the banned book incident. 

27 minutes ago, Mizv said:

So all the court lady’s are to be married to CP?

that’s alot ….. 

correct me if I am wrong please.  When the King dies all his concubines transfers to the Crown Prince??  

As far as I know the court ladies just serve him but they don't marry him unless they get chosen. And I think they become concubines , and those he really like gets promoted to Royal Consort. Not sure if the concubines get transferred to the CP , but I suppose they will still be cared for. 

@ktcjdrama I almost thought that he was actually going to save her when she fell off the chair. I was laughing so hard that he pushed her back. You're right ,  I do hope that there will be still some things we can laugh over when things get angsty. 

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

@Mizv your question had me intrigued...gosh look at the rankings here for the harem of women. :poliWeird:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naemyeongbu

https://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/2003/01/05/features/For-concubines-this-was-home/1897933.html

The higher the rank the less work you will do. And after the queen , the royal consort is the highest rank. This is Deok Im in history. She was definitely favoured by him but not sure how far this story will go. It will give spoilers of what Deok Im's life will be like. 

• Like 2
  • Insightful 3

:PikaSwag:  Very informative thanks! @abs-oluteM

I just went back and viewed the trailer about the red sleeves. 700 court lady’s are all belong to CP whatever there duties are. Thing that bugs me… that color I see isn’t red!  more  Fuschia/hot pink. 
It’s safe to assume they had costume malfunction ?! :lmao2:

Did some searching and I guess the red sleeve is only for the Royal Concbine?

I think am looking into the meaning of the other women sleeves too deep. But that does make me more curious. I’m more familiar with British, Irish, Scottish historical themes.  so the Korean and Chinese historical setting makes me a dumb rookie.  forgive the silly questions.

going to finish reading the link now.

I am wondering who is DI mom?  What role are the older women in green? Their sleeves aren’t red.  Well nobody’s sleeves are red in my opinion.

Edited by Mizv
Updated
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

This is what I found about the court ladies and their clothes:

According to the hierarchy, court ladies were classified as junior court lady (sonyeo nain), court lady (nain), and senior court lady (sanggung), based on how long they had lived at the palace. As in the world of men in Joseon, where official hats differed based on their social status and the rites they participated in, court ladies wore different hairstyles based on their status and rites.

Court ladies working at the royal bedchambers (jimil) and junior court ladies attached to government offices showed their affiliation with their hair done in the saeangmori style; junior court ladies attached to the palace living quarters wore braids, and junior court ladies belonging to the royal laundry (Sedapbang) wore a chignon. After 15 years in the palace, court ladies went through their coming-of-age ceremony and put their hair up, a haistyle that did not reveal their affiliation in the palace. However, female servants called bija wore their hair in a round bun, which distinguished them from the court ladies in terms of social standing. Sanggung, an official title of the senior fifth rank, was the highest position attainable for a court lady. They wore cheopji, an ornamental hairpin, in the shape of a silver frog with a gold head and tail, which distinguished them from ordinary court ladies. The dark blue skirt was worn not only by court ladies but also royal women and hence was a symbol of palace women. (Credit)

-----------------

Lady-in-waiting,or gungnyeo also have their own robes. They usually wear dangui, a ceremonial jacket just like the queens or princesses, but with no geumbak or gold patterns. The colors and hairstyles differ according to their ranks. The highest among them, which is sanggung or court lady, wears a dark shade of jade dangui with binyeo and cheopji, a small hairpin worn on the hair in the shape of frog. They usually tuck their hair behind in a bun. Nain will wear a lighter shade of jade dangui with their hairstyle being the same as the sanggung. Trainee nain wears a pink dangui, but most of the time they will wear a pink jeogori. Their hairdo is a bit different: they will use saeng meori, in which the braid is brought onto the head and daenggi is used to decorate the hair. (Credit)

I haven't found anything about the red cuff sleeves, but maybe @stroppyse might know a little more about that?

• Like 2
  • Insightful 3
  • Clapping Hands 1

@abs-oluteM I found the book reviews of the novel from an online bookstore last time before the drama started. Majority of the readers loved the original novel but it was a tearjerker and it was sad.

One Hottest perhaps read the novel but so far, her feedback on the adaptation is that they changed some parts, but no question was arise yet about the "crown princess".

Book review page

And also, I figured out the meanings of the two bright posters released for this drama

Spoiler

This poster (as shown in episode 1) showed that Deok Im was able to comfort Yi San since childhood

spacer.png

The second poster (as shown in episode 2) showcased Deok Im’s storytelling talent which Yi San will seek from her later on.

spacer.png

I also watched the long highlight teaser again but this time with subtitles, and it seems that the main plot of the drama is more on the establishment of the loyalty by Deok Im for Yi San. I think Yi San will encounter more hardships later on because people question his worth as a successor, and this is where Deok Im comes in.

For someone like me who is never fond of saeguk, I just noticed today while checking photos and teasers that Deok Im's uniform color definitely changed later on, especially when it was shown that she is doing her storytelling for Yi San. She eventually will get promoted then.

Spoiler

Deok Im was also spotted wearing a hanbok without the red sleeve cuff. Is she out on a not so proper date and hanging out with Yi San?

Btw, this one is a behind the scene photo, yet it can be seen also from the long highlight teaser.

spacer.png

Edited by suhodorable
  • Like 1
  • Insightful 4
7 hours ago, suhodorable said:

also watched the long highlight teaser again but this time with subtitles, and it seems that the main plot of the drama is more on the establishment of the loyalty by Deok Im for Yi San. I think Yi San will encounter more hardships later on because people question his worth as a successor, and this is where Deok Im comes in.

Thanks for the link to that long teaser. Looks like the officials are going to use the tiger catching incident to get him into trouble since only the King is allowed to "hunt" for tigers near palace grounds. Becoming king would be a long lonely journey for Yi San, and at least the teaser shows she would stand by him all the way. I wonder at what episode she will find out that he isn't actually Deok Ro but the CP? LOL

Why are these two so cute?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

Life of Yee San ( and King Jeongjo ) had plenty of adaptations but in 2007 , MBC did one starring Lee Seo Jin and Han Ji Min. It was called Lee San, Wind of the Palace. 

This Naver article did a write-up doing an initial comparison, and what they think MBC is going for here is to target Millennials & Gen Z ( known in SK as the MZ Generation ) where the female identity has to stand out. So my conclusion is that the story will be very much told from Deok Im's perspective hence it's titled The Red Sleeve. 

Lee Byeong-hoon's 'Isan', Lee Seo-jin and Han Ji-min are in the star ranks... Highest viewership rating 35.5% ( It was 77 episodes :poliWeird:

2111151654135770.jpg

Spoiler

The story of King Jeongjo (Isan), the grandson of King Yeongjo, who had the longest tenure among the Joseon dynasty, and the son of Crown Prince Sado, has already been made into numerous dramas and loved. Among them, the representative work is the historical drama 'Isan' made by MBC from 2007 to 2008. It was based on the original book 'Isan Jeongjo the Great' and was directed by Lee Byung-hoon, the creator of various historical dramas such as 'Heo Jun', 'Dae Jang-geum', 'Isan', 'Dong-i' and 'Maui'.

The popularity of Lee Seo-jin and Han Ji-min, who played the lead roles at the time, was also great. The popularity of Lee Seo-jin,  expanded nationwide as he took on the title role of 'Isan', Jeongjo. Han Ji-min, who received attention for her elegant and innocent beauty in 'All-in' and 'Dae Jang-geum', also played an active role in this long historical drama series in 'Isan' and won the love of viewers of all generations. Ji-bin Park, who played the child role of Seo-jin Lee at the time, and Soon-jae Lee, who played Yeong-jo, also left a strong impression.

In 'Isan', the name of the concubine, Uibin-seong, whom Jeongjo loved, was changed to Seong Song-yeon. In the play, Song-yeon Seong loses her parents at the age of 10 and enters the palace  , and has been entangled with Isan since childhood. In the setting of being kicked out of the palace and becoming a "dohwaseo damo"  the actual history was adapted into a drama with the content that she would enter the palace again later.

The romance between Jeongjo and Uibinseong is based on a historical true story. Uibinseong is the concubine of King Jeongjo, the 22nd king of Joseon, whose real name is Deokim. It is known that she came to the palace when she was young and grew up serving Isan's mother. Seong Deok-im rejected Isan twice, but when a servant was punished, she became a concubine. King Jeongjo is said to have expressed his love and longing for the deceased Ui-bin-seong by writing a tribute at every ancestral rite.

Trendy romance historical drama targeting the MZ generation… Does the female identity stand out?

2111151654136661.jpg

As 'The Red Sleeve ' was produced 14 years after 'Isan', the subject matter and planning intentions are different from those at the time. In the case of 'Isan', internal and external conflicts were mainly portrayed in which Isan had to lose his father and he had to follow the unstable path of the of becoming the king . The romance with Song Yeon was part of the process of what Isan/ Jeongjo wanted to achieve.

Rather than that, 'Red Sleeve' seems to have taken the direction of showing/ focusing on  the romance itself between Isan and Deok Im. Rather than emphasizing chastity or historical events, the title also uses a term that symbolizes the shape of the court lady's jeogori, 'red end of the sleeves'. It is expected that the proportion of Seong Deok-im (Lee Se-young) who characterizes Ui-bin-seong will increase compared to previous adaptation.

In particular, following Lee Seo-jin and Han Ji-min in their previous works, this time Lee San and Ui-bin-seong are played by 2PM actor Lee Jun-ho and Lee Se-young. He's not a familiar face in historical dramas, but viewers' expectations are high as it has been through various dramas such as 'Chief Kim' and 'Wok of Love". Lee Se-young has experience in historical dramas such as 'Dae Jang-geum' and 'The Great King's Dream' when she was a child, so many people are already familiar with her. 

Just as Song-yeon and Jeong-jo (Isan)  had already met when they were young in 'Isan', in 'Red Sleeves', the future relationship was hinted at through the meeting between the two at the funeral of his grandmother. However, unlike Songyeon in 'Isan', who distanced herself from the Isan in the, this drama takes a setting that is a little more similar to the actual history. Through the various situations that Seong Deok-im,  faces as a court lady in the palace, the romance between Jeong-jo and Ui-bin-seong will be unfolded from a slightly different perspective.

https://www.newspim.com/news/view/20211115000930

---------------

This article is pretty informative to about how the harem works!

https://thetalkingcupboard.com/2014/06/15/women-of-the-joseon-dynasty-part-1/

Some interesting spoilers

Spoiler

Lady Seong Ui-bin was the royal concubine of King Jeongjo and she was initially a gungnyeo or palace maid. She was elevated to the rank of sanggung after she received His Majesty’s grace before raised to the rank of So-yong after giving birth to Prince Yi Hyang. When her son was appointed as the Crown Prince, she was elevated to the rank bin with the prefix Ui. 

Sanggung was the highest rank for the court ladies and there were two conditions for a court lady to be appointed as a sanggung: one was through advancement after years of serving in the palace and the other one through special appointment by the queen when she slept with the king. The special sanggung had a higher status compared to the ordinary sanggung since she was the woman favoured by the king, but she’s not yet a royal concubine. The ordinary sanggung acted as supervisors to the other court ladies but they were directly held the responsibility of sanggi and jeoneon.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 3

@abs-oluteM I think that's an interesting approach and hopefully they are able to capture the attention of MZ Generations. I think less youth are into reading nowadays so making a production, and sticking as closely to the history is probably a good way to get them more interested in nation's history. I mean, story telling was the primary reason why stories were past down generations to generations. I think this is just another form of story telling. :smile:

• Like 3
  • Clapping Hands 2

holler guys... woah.. I missed a lot, i need to reread the past posts cause it seems it has been quite long and fast moving... a tad overwhelmed in trying to read through everything...  a lot has happened in the first 2 episode that I also want to chime in...

but first post will just be dropping this article from korean times:

Lee Jun-ho returns to small screen with heartfelt, historical romance 'The Red Sleeve'

optimize

By Lee Gyu-lee

Actor Lee Jun-ho has returned to the small screen with MBC's new historical romance series, "The Red Sleeve." Lee went on hiatus due to his mandatory military service starting in 2019.

Following his discharge from the military in March, the actor took on the lead role in his first period drama, portraying King Jeongjo of the Joseon Dynasty (1392―1910).

"It wasn't easy to take on the role of a king, especially since he is an actual historical figure who has been loved by many people," the actor said during an online press conference for the series, Friday. "But I did try to portray the character in my own color. At the same time, I tried to draw my attention towards the small details (of the king's gestures) like using chopsticks."

Based on the romance novel of the same name by Kang Mi-kang, the series follows a love story between crown prince Yi San, who later becomes King Jeongjo, and a court lady named Sung Deok-im (Lee Se-young).

Yi San is a scrupulous prince who inherits the throne from his grandfather after his father's death. But when he meets Deok-im, a free-spirited, strong-willed woman, Yi San struggles to make choices between his duty and his love.

The series is directed by Jung Ji-in, who led the romantic comedy, "Radiant Office," and is scripted by Jung Hae-ri, who wrote the period drama, "The Emperor: Owner of the Mask."

The first episode kicked off on Friday with a 5.7-percent viewership rating, nationwide.

The actor said he enjoyed the original novel so he decided to get on board with his first period series.

"I loved how the king was depicted in the original novel. And when I read the series' script, I also liked how it was brought into life. It was very colorful," he said. "With the novel, it doesn't go too deep into each character's mind. But I liked how the script delves deeper into those parts to tell more about what kind of people they are."

The love story was inspired by historical records about King Jeongjo and a court lady, who became concubine Uibin Sung after turning down the king's offer twice.

Jung, the director, noted that this series stands out from other period series currently airing, such as "The King's Affection" and "Secret Royal Inspector Joy," because it tells the story of actual historical figures.

"This series is definitely different from 'fusion' period series, as the characters are based on real people. We did adapt the story, but we still had to base the overall picture on the real events," she said.

Lee Se-young's character, Deok-im, is an unorthodox person who firmly believes in making her own choices in life, despite living as a court lady. Her peaceful life in the palace turns upside down when she encounters the crown prince.

The actress said that she was very touched when she read the novel and hoped to deliver the same emotion to viewers.

"When I read the novel, I cried my heart out. It was such a heartbreaking story and the emotions lingered on for a few days," she said. "Whether the audiences have read the book or not, I wanted to deliver the heartfelt story that would make them feel the same emotions and lingering feelings that I got from the book."

"The Red Sleeve" airs on MBC Fridays and Saturdays at 9:50 p.m.

LINK: https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/art/2021/11/688_318775.html

On 11/14/2021 at 8:44 PM, abs-oluteM said:

And the HSJ cameo was so random. LOL...I thought he was going to be Prince Sado ( Lee San's dad) 

sorry, I think a perpetuated that thought. I really thought he was cast as sado seeing his look when there was a spoiler pic months ago.. I thought it was one of the scenes where sado will go crazy... that lead to his punishment..

but it was really good to see Ha Sukjin. I wish he does more sagueks...

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

@abs-oluteM

firstly thanks for the recap.. and also the future recaps to be made...
i was not able to  read it when you first posted it, and was able to watch the 2 episodes already...

but I am looking forward for the future recaps... Thank you in advance

On 11/13/2021 at 6:01 AM, Tofu said:

HAHAHA! Honestly, I think it made all the viewers' heart skip a beat too. I was not expecting a scene like that in a teaser at all. 

the bath scene was mentioned to be in episode 7, so we got 3 more weeks for it... *Sigh*

So their youth parts would go until half of the drama... Hmmnn I like it... and looking forward to whatever encounters and fun and romance they will develop all this episode to come

regarding this... I mean the historical accuracy

On 11/13/2021 at 12:13 PM, abs-oluteM said:

Love love the 1st episode. So much history told in the first hour. Their childhood encounters were brought to life really well by the two young actors who play them. 

or in some dramas, what the koreans complains on historical parts...

On 11/14/2021 at 8:20 PM, mademoiselle said:

That said I find it interesting that the show is using real names after Mr. Queen's and JE's controversies. It helps a little in because I'm familiar with these historical figures as they were played by Song Kang Ho/Yeo Jin Goo (Yeongjo), Yoo Ah In (Sado) and So Ji Sub / Hyun Bin (Jeongjo) before.

P.S. I didn't read the plot/sypnosis so I only know the plot now.

I was wary of that too, for the same reason as you @mademoiselle. but so far I think there is overall positivity with regards to historical relation of this drama

This recapper mentioning the right appellation used in the drama... or naming... 

Here: https://thetalkingcupboard.com/2021/11/13/the-red-sleeve-first-impression/

from that post, this was mentioned:

Ah, I forgot to say how I like that they are using the courtesy name for the male characters, for instance Deok-ro. His given name is Hong Guk-young, but he’s being called by his courtesy name. Plus, they are also referring to Lady Yi using the style jaga (자가) unlike the usual (but wrong) style of mama (마마). Yeay for correct details used in dramas, no matter how small it is! But then, I still think that the English title is a bit misleading, considering that the only part of the sleeve that is red is the cuff…

I thinks detail like this will go along way

additionally, I think, the Novel Red Sleeve cuff has a huge following... and there seems to be no negative connection to the novel due to its near accuracy to history...  it even is being adapted to webtoon which goes to show how successful it is..

if there is one thing I I do wish that was done, its the explanation/historical background on the naming.. or bowing difference and etc.. Learning in depth details of this would be great as an international audience....

Also congrats to the drama, Lee Seyoung and Lee Junho for their brand ranking...!!!

Red Sleeve Cuff is ranked 1st in the drama category

Actors Category: 

Seyoung is 4th

Junho is 7th

Edited by czakhareina
  • Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 5
28 minutes ago, czakhareina said:

PS. Lee Deokhwa was adorable with his 'Authenticity' and the spoilers... hahaha 

If you've ever seen him in a variety show, he is super cute. I laugh so much every time I see him in one. He's hilarious! :laugh:

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 3

here is my spam post, which I was dying to make at the end of episode 1:

the fantasy sequence of the meet-cute:

1636828774-everyboringamericancreamdraft

It was just soooo pretty.

I could watch it over and over again:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Plus there is this post/article regarding the fantasy sequence above:

Netizens talk about whether they like or dislike this popular cliché scene from this year's historical dramas

Historical drama fans have struck up a debate about this particular cliché scene, which they found appeared in quite a few of this year's series. 

It's a pretty cliché scene that often appears in not just historical K-dramas, but a lot of K-dramas overall. But seeing as the scene appeared in all three representative historical dramas from KBS, MBC, and SBS this year, drama fans felt that it deserved a special mention. 

Some commented,

"I'm a cheesy person so I love it."
"I think it works really well in historical dramas because of the attire and the classic mood."
"Oh come on, you have to have this scene in a romance!"
"Yeah it's cliché, but the scene is so aesthetically pleasing."
"I think it's romantic."
"But that scene where Park Eun Bin grabs Rowoon is refreshing. It's a woman grabbing a man."
"The scene in 'The Red Sky' was totally worth it. You had to have seen it."
"In a historical drama, that's considered pretty deep skinship."
"I mean the dirt is bumpy and you have to walk in long skirts..."
"In 'The King's Affection', I think they're making it a point, because there's a woman grabbing a man, a man grabbing someone he thinks is a man, and then a woman who is saved by another woman but she's dressed as a man."

While others felt,

I love historical dramas but I don't really know if these kinds of cliché scenes add anything, really."
"This scene has gone beyond the point of cliché to almost necessary for any sappy love story..."
"Why are they all so bad at balancing kekekekeke."
"But why does it happen three times in 'The King's Affection' kekekekeke."
"It wouldn't be so bad if they didn't show the same scene from like ten different angles kekekekeke. It takes up too much time for no reason."
"I swear this scene also happened in Song Hye Kyo's new drama yesterday kekekekeke."
"Yeah, it's time for something different now."
"Do people seriously find this heart-fluttering?"
"That would never happen in real life."

https://www.allkpop.com/article/2021/11/netizens-talk-about-whether-they-like-or-dislike-this-popular-clich-scene-from-this-years-historical-dramas

it is safe to say that they saw the clips and cliche...

...of the fantasy sequence

but reality is...

again, I really swooned at Junho in the fantasy sequence

but I did love that they did this, they built up such excitement then just dropped that bomb comedic sequence....!

5 hours ago, Tofu said:

If you've ever seen him in a variety show, he is super cute. I laugh so much every time I see him in one. He's hilarious! 

Truth.

I think I watched one of his variety shows appearance.. He is one of those veterans who is just fun.

I've been excited for him in this drama... on and especially off cam... like behind the scenes clips...

Edited by czakhareina
  • Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 1

articles:

2PM’s Lee Junho Can’t Hide His Amusement In Front Of The Fretful Lee Se Young In “The Red Sleeve”

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Nov 13, 2021 by L. Kim

MBC’s new historical drama “The Red Sleeve” has shared new stills ahead of the upcoming episode!

Based on a novel, “The Red Sleeve” is a traditional historical drama that tells the record of an imperial court romance between a court lady named Seong Deok Im (Lee Se Young), who wanted to protect the life she had chosen, and emperor Yi San (Lee Junho), who put the nation first before love. The drama is based on the real historical figures King Jeongjo, the 22nd ruler of the Joseon dynasty (born under the name Yi San), and royal concubine Ui of the Seong clan (Seong Deok Im).

SPOILER

The historical drama made a promising start, earning an average nationwide rating of 5.7 percent and a peak of 8.0 percent for its first episode.

On November 13, the drama gave a sneak peek of the second episode. In the newly released stills, Yi San and Seong Deok Im are at the crown prince’s quarters. Yi San is sitting upright with a solemn aura, while Seong Deok Im flattens herself to the ground with uneasy eyes. Yi San reads the article she has brought, and he gives her a fierce glare before breaking into an amused smile. Seong Deok Im’s uneasiness turns into distraught, and her shoulders droop with devastation.

The drama’s producers teased, “In the second episode, Yi San and Seong Deok Im’s rapidly progressing relationship will make the viewers’ hearts flutter. Please look forward to it.”

LINK: https://www.soompi.com/article/1498356wpp/2pms-lee-junho-cant-hide-his-amusement-in-front-of-the-fretful-lee-se-young-in-red-sleeve

========================================

2PM’s Junho Surprises Viewers With His Immersive Acting in ‘The Red Sleeve Cuff’

BY Shai Collins Nov 14, 2021 09:21 PM EST

2PM member and actor Lee Junho impressed many with his versatile acting through his new historical romance drama, "The Red Sleeve Cuff." The singer stars in the new MBC series with Lee Se Young.

2PM Junho's Acting in 'The Red Sleeve Cuff' Impresses Viewers

MBC's new Friday-Saturday drama "The Red Sleeve Cuff" premiered on November 12. It tells the story of a sad romance between a king who prioritizes his people and a court lady who dreams of becoming a good writer.

In "The Red Sleeve Cuff," Lee Junho plays the role of Yi San, a stern crown prince. When the tiger took the lives of his people, he showed anger and led the group to hunt.

2PM’s Junho Surprises Viewers with His Immersive Acting in ‘The Red Sleeve Cuff’

Through his impressive portrayal of his character, the 2PM member immediately caught the viewers' attention in the first two episodes of "The Red Sleeve Cuff" by expressing the sternness and charisma of the crown prince with stable acting.

Lee Junho Perfectly Conveys Crown Prince Yi San's Emotions

The pain in Yi San's character was expressed delicately by Lee Junho. It was when the crown prince was listening to Sung Deok Im's (Lee Se Young) storytelling during the court ladies' night.

While hearing the story, Yi San recalled the memory of his father shouting at him and accusing him that a child like him was born to kill his father.

Yi San's trauma and emotion were conveyed to the small screen through Lee Junho's shaky eyes and delicate emotional acting.

Apart from his impressive acting performance, the "Wok of Love" actor also expressed the charm of Yi San, the feisty and cute crown prince, in a variety of ways, raising expectations for romance chemistry with Lee Se Young as well as the charm of his character.

In "The Red Sleeve Cuff" episode 2, the crown prince required an apology letter from Sung Deok Im, who dragged him into the pond. While he continues to disguise himself as Hong Dong Ro to hide his real identity, Lee Junho gave justice to showcase his romance with Lee Se Young.

His immersive acting receives positive feedback from the viewers and the way he portrays the character of Yi San makes the viewers crave more of Lee Junho's scenes with Lee Se Young.

Their chemistry adds interest and brings excitement to many Kdrama fans.

LINK: https://www.kdramastars.com/articles/122726/20211114/2pm-junho-viewers-immersive-acting-the-red-sleeve-cuff.htm?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

• Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 1