The Red Sleeve Cuff 옷소매 붉은 끝동 [2021-22]

1 hour ago, suhodorable said:

Btw here's what one viewer guessed about Lee Se Young's spoiler in the press con LOL

hahaha it could totally be right on. but I was imagining something sexier....:laugh:

and DeokIm face, as she comes close to the tiger

Spoiler

FEh_2NDaAAEsZtn?format=jpg&name=large

I'd probably look worse and just plain terrified and saying my last prayers as my life flashed before me...

Another photo stills dropped for the aftermath of tiger hunting scene. I wonder if Deok Im figured out who Yi San truly is or... not yet.

the funny thing about dramas, is that they usually make character 'smart' but they dumb it out for narrative purposes. which usually ends up being frustrating...

but in this case, I feel like with the distance, and the protocol of court ladies not looking up when in the presence of their royalty/masters, especially in such a state where in the crown prince is a position of being punished/asking for forgiveness...? would be reason 'enough' not to figure it out..

and yes she should also consider the clothes he is wearing, but then again she also doesn't have a doubt about Deokro's identity. Since who would think that the crown prince (her master) would just allow her to go unpunished for the salt/broom incident. especially since they are meeting consistently as servant-master for that apology letter....

anyway,here are the stills of this scene:

FEh2ii5agAAX8O5?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Spoiler

FEh2ii5acAAestK?format=jpg&name=4096x409FEh2ii8aAAATJOU?format=jpg&name=4096x409

cr: MBC twitter

21 minutes ago, Tofu said:

I'm not sure if the English translation for the character chart was posted here before, but here's one I recently found:

Credit: https://en.kepoper.com/the-red-sleeve-korean-drama/

there are a few version of this, but this has been the best version of the character chart...

and 1 thing I always was weirded out about the drama and the character intro. and chart was that there is no casting for Yisan's crown princess...

is it because the story revolves around Yisan and DeokIm?

and with Yisan in an arranged marriage, it was perceived/conveyed that they did not get along as married couple thus she doesn't have much interaction with him... or any connection and interaction with DeokIm...?

In the Yisan drama, the sisters of Yisan were never introduced... but in history its has been noted that DeokIm had interaction with them... 

And since we know this drama follows the history more, Maybe they would still introduce the wife of Yisan, but maybe when he is already a king...?

Edited by czakhareina
  • Insightful 5

2PM’s Lee Junho And Lee Se Young Join Hands To Save People From A Tiger In “The Red Sleeve”

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Nov 19, 2021 | by L. Kim

2PM’s Lee Junho and Lee Se Young will embark on a rescue mission in the next episode of “The Red Sleeve”!

Based on a novel, “The Red Sleeve” is a traditional historical drama that tells the record of an imperial court romance between a court lady named Seong Deok Im (Lee Se Young), who wanted to protect the life she had chosen, and emperor Yi San (Lee Junho), who put the nation first before love. The drama is based on the real historical figures King Jeongjo, the 22nd ruler of the Joseon dynasty (born under the name Yi San), and royal concubine Ui of the Seong clan (Seong Deok Im).

Spoilers

Yi San and Seong Deok Im got off on the wrong foot due to misunderstandings, but they gradually started to build a unique relationship that made viewers’ hearts flutter in anticipation for their budding romance. On the other hand, a violent tiger that was slaughtering people approached the palace with more than 500 court ladies. The second episode ended with Yi San asking Seong Deok Im to read a book in front of them, raising questions about what kind of plan he has for the tiger.

In newly released stills, Seong Dok Im stands in front of the other court ladies with her friends Kim Bok Yeon (Lee Min Ji), Bae Kyung Hee (Ha Yul Ri), and Son Young Hee (Lee Eun Saem). Seong Dok Im appears firm and bold, but this isn’t an easy task for her either. As she was asked to read a book by Yi San, viewers are keenly paying attention to how this will keep the court ladies safe from the tiger.

Spoiler

the-red-sleeve-4.jpgthe-red-sleeve-3.jpgthe-red-sleeve-2.jpg

Meanwhile, Yi San is leading his bodyguard Kang Tae Ho (Oh Dae Hwan) and other soldiers to hunt for the tiger. Their solemn expressions and fiery torches that light up the petrifying darkness increase the tension in the atmosphere. Furthermore, Yi San’s eyes glint sharply as he lifts his bow to shoot an arrow at his target. Will Yi San and Seong Deok Im be able to protect the palace?

Spoiler

the-red-sleeve-11.jpgthe-red-sleeve-5.jpg

LINK: https://www.soompi.com/article/1499391wpp/2pms-lee-junho-and-lee-se-young-join-hands-to-save-people-from-a-tiger-in-the-red-sleeve

Viki IG update:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, czakhareina said:

hahaha it could totally be right on. but I was imagining something sexier....:laugh:

Hahahaha we share the same thought lol anyway who knows then?

-

As long as nothing goes around (a word or two) after Yi San is being punished, Deok Im still won't be able to figure out Yi San's identity. Plus he's from afar when she saw him kneeling. Let's see how it goes. But I think she should figure out who he is by episode 4.

• Insightful 4

SPOILER RECAPS for EPS 3 (Part 1)

Seong Deok-im (Lee Se-young) decides to read a book in front of the court ladies under the command of Lee San (Jun-ho). Lee San makes a plan to catch a tiger that came down to the palace while Seong Deok-im was reading a book in front of the court ladies

While the festival was in full swing, Seong Deok-im gathered  her friends and told them about the tiger. "Tiger? !"  The friends panicked and  said, “You should tell them right away!” Seong-deok-im said, “Then what do you think will happen?”

“Everyone will gather to run through that door. There is only one small side door,” said Seongdeok-im. Friends realized the seriousness of the words, “If anyone falls or faints..." They realise the chaos that it would cause

Seong Deok-im said, “Help me. I'm not going to let anyone die!" she said firmly . Deok-im made a plan to attract attention by holding a reading session.

Deok-im's friends said, “The lives of so many people depend on us. I am afraid of that responsibility.” “I’m scared too. You don't know how lucky I am to have you guys," said Deok-im.

Her friends played drums and attracted the attention of court ladies. Deok-im said, “I’m going to have a reading session!” and “I need to practice something important before that.”

The court ladies were puzzled by Deok-im’s words, “It’s a practice to get out of the door in order.” Friends came together and made the young court ladies go out in order, but it was too late as they suddenly heard the cry of a tiger.

62cc9185-3e87-4d08-80e3-1a683b22c2e2.jpg

When the chaos broke out, Seo Sang-gung (Jang Hye-jin) came and swung a torch. As the situation calmed down, the court ladies left in the order of their age. 

Deok-im set out to find the missing young court ladies, but some had already lost their lives to tigers.

A tiger appeared in front of the surprised Deok-im.

Just as the tiger was running, a fiery arrow flew out of nowhere. The startled tiger left Deok-Im alone, and it was Yee-San who saved her and told her to get to a safe place. 

Spoiler

debcd412-207f-47de-b6a7-3a5dfbe9a301.jpg

a4c518cd-9510-4591-8eef-22ec2ebb2a4b.jpg

Lee San, who went on a hunting trip with Lee Ki-jae, succeeded in catching a tiger with only one arrow. However, he became a target of punishment for doing this without permission of  the king.

----------------

6d9e8649-08e8-4b7d-b910-a06f646d48c4.jpg

The real Hong Deok-ro appears at the well and says to Seong-deok-im, “Can I get just a glass of water and drink?” Seong Deok-im told Hong Deok-ro, “Yesterday a tiger appeared. I heard that they were caught, but I wonder if anyone was hurt.” Hong Deok-ro said, “Everyone who participated in the tiger hunt yesterday will be punished. The same goes for Yee San. More people should have died in order to be recognized as an urgent situation. If I had been there, I would have told him to wait for more people to die.” He replied, creating a creepy atmosphere.

Seong Deok-im said, “I want to ask you something. Is he okay?” She asks about Lee San's well-being, and Hong Deok-ro realises that Lee San was pretending to be him . Meanwhile, Lee San's action to kill a tiger is considered as  committing   a mortal sin and he kneeled in front of Daejeon and asks for forgiveness.

'Sleeves' Lee Jun-ho, tiger hunting → plaster mortal sin...  Meeting Lee Se-young and Kang Hoon

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

Mon-Tues: Lovely Runner  Wed-Thurs: -  Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: The Midnight Romance in Hagwon Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - 

Continuation SPOILER RECAPS for eps 3 (Part 2 )

Lee San (Lee Jun-ho), who caught a tiger entering the palace, was punished for leading the army without Yeongjo's (king's ) permission. Upon hearing the news, Lee San's sisters thought of saving their brother by dedicating Yeongjo's favorite novel.

However, Yeongjo did not accept the audience, and Princess Cheongyeon and Princess Cheongsan went to Queen Jeongson  (Jang Hee-jin).  She offered a plan, even though she said, “I can’t do things that the master has already denied.”

Seong-deok-im was surprised by the mid-line saying, “You didn’t say you wouldn’t go to an audience with the court lady.” “What are you going to do? Do you want to have an audience with His Majesty Joo Sang-sang, or do you just want to do nothing?" Seong-deok-im decided to save Lee San.

“I’m going to see His Majesty, dedicate this book, and ask for forgiveness for Lee San…” 

Yeongjo was satisfied with the book  'Kwak Jangyangmunrok' that she had transcribed  saying, "The novel is interesting." Yeongjo even praised her  saying, "It's thanks to you -  the handwriting is very good."

Yeongjo, who was in a good mood, said, “How many times will the king say that your wish will be granted?” and asked her to make his wish. Seong Deok-im said, “Please forgive the Crown Prince!”, but Yeong-jo was furious at those words.
14650778_726745_1248.jpg
Yeongjo, who tore the book that six people copied for three months on the spot, said, “There is the royal army . They have to deal with it!” he said furiously. “ But Lee San  ignored them and took care of things with his own  hand-trained lieutenant. Why would he  do that, how ignorant! ” said Yeongjo who was angry that Lee San disobeyed him. 

Surprised, Seong Deok-im bowed her head, saying, “I have committed a mortal sin!” However, Seongdeok-im said, “If you have a wish before you die, please tell me!” Yeongjo said.

At those words, Seongdeok-im got up with a nyang in her hand, knelt before Yeongjo, and said, “I am doomed, Your Majesty. I will never forget the kindness you gave me by giving this nyang. This one nyang is of great significance to me. From the day I first entered the palace, my purpose in life was to collect a hundred nyang. I entered the palace at the age of seven and collected 99 nyang for ten years. I have collected all 100 Nyangs by the grace of His Majesty, so I am just lost.”

When Yeongjo asked why she had collected 100 nyang, Seongdeok-im said that one day when she was seven, her mother and her brother called him and the family could not live together. She had been collecting the money so that she can go redeem her brother as she had never seen since she entered the palace.

Yeongjo said, “Is your father dead? Your mother followed your father? ” and Seong-deok-im answered yes and showed tears. Next, Sung Deok-im added that she would like to deliver all 100 Nyang to her brother.

Hearing this, Yeongjo's heart was moved and said, “I had no intention of killing him from the beginning. It scared me a little. You look a lot like my dead daughter. When I see you, I think of Princess Hwa-pyeong, how can I kill you? "

That night, Yeongjo went to Lee San and said, “Why are you holding a bow and being so mean!” To Lee San, who explained the situation, Yeongjo was even more angry, saying, “Uh-huh, I still don’t know what I’m doing wrong!” 

“Grandfather thought you were being eaten by a tiger!” said Yeongjo and hugged Lee San. At Yeongjo's whim, Lee San was bewildered but had to suppress his anger.

The next day, Princess Cheongyeon and Princess Cheongsan were delighted to learn that Lee san had escaped punishment and that Seong Deok-im had contributed. The two ran to Lee San with Seong Deok-im.

When the younger sisters tried to introduce Seong-Deok Im, saying, “This child did a great job,” Lee San was perplexed. 

But Lee San covers his face with a fan to avoid revealing his true identity. However, his face is reflected in the pond, and Seongdeok-im saw it . He dropped the fan and met Seongdeok-im's eyes. Seongdeok-im was surprised to find out that the Deok Ro  was the Crown Prince Lee San 

14650778_726749_1250.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

Mon-Tues: Lovely Runner  Wed-Thurs: -  Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: The Midnight Romance in Hagwon Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - 

Ep3 finally introduced all the scheming people trying to throw Yisan off. The minister, Yisan's Aunt and her adoptive son and the head court lady...

King Yeongjoa nd Yisan's relationship is complicated. King yeongjo made YS kneel for a long time outside, but he allowed YS's mom to bring water and mentioned to DI about timing... then came in hugging him as he 'gave' his forgiveness...

this episode had the leads in separate scenes most of the time. the part of them both going to the library looking for and waiting for each other:

Interestingly, DeokIm is with light shining on her during the day and Yisan is in the darkness of the night.

they've been playing with that symbolism since since the tease/poster.. 

The ending was funny, hahaha 

though I do wish they extended the reveal until episode 4.

but it was still an adorable scene... I mean the only time bridge scene had a purpose other than to look pretty...

PS: I just have to mention, DeokIm kinda swooning for Deokroo after the guy casually mentioned that there should have been more casualty, had me going :thinking:.

She saw the dead young palace maid, but she was like the modern day fangirl, "oppa is pretty/handsome, he can never do anything wrong" despite doing something wrong, she needed to slap herself to get out of that zone. 

Edited by czakhareina
  • Clapping Hands 4

@czakhareina Most welcome !

I agree with you about the grandfather & San's complex relationship. How I see it is that , the old man loves San alot , and San is his chosen successor. But the old man is well aware that there are many who are plotting to bring San down. He has to be harsh on San to protect him and to train him to become king.

Deok Ro is an interesting character. It is clear now that he has his own ambitions. But unlike the rest, who want San removed, he wants to ensure that San becomes King because he has San's trust , and will secure his own power that way. And yes Deok Im, please don't smile at this man ...ahahah this one is a wolf in sheep's clothing. 

I really love this show though we're only 3 episodes in. The cast aside, I think it is the storytelling too. We're watching history from a different perspective - through the eyes of a young maid. It appeals to us because she's bold and courageous even though she lives in an era where a woman (even if  they are nobility) usually has to  live a life that is dictated by someone else. 

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 3

36 minutes ago, abs-oluteM said:

@czakhareina Most welcome !

I agree with you about the grandfather & San's complex relationship. How I see it is that , the old man loves San alot , and San is his chosen successor. But the old man is well aware that there are many who are plotting to bring San down. He has to be harsh on San to protect him and to train him to become king.

Deok Ro is an interesting character. It is clear now that he has his own ambitions. But unlike the rest of who want San removed, he wants to ensure that San becomes King because he has San's trust , and will secure his own power that way. And yes Deok Im, please don't smile at this man ...ahahah this one is a wolf in sheep's clothing. 

I really love this show though we're only 3 episodes in. The cast aside, I think it is the storytelling too. We're watching history from a different perspective - through the eyes of a young maid. It appeals to us because she's bold and courageous even though she lives in an era where a woman (even if  they are nobility) usually has to  live a life that is dictated by someone else. 

Totally. 

I like her, though I guess they modernized her for making her plucky, bold and courageous. I don't think any woman, especially a court lady would be like her. it just isn't in their norm at that time. But at this point I don't care, cause I adore her being plucky, especially when she is opposite San. and I think likes her that way, the way she imagined her in that dark library and the way he wanted to keep his identity hidden. it tells me he liked to keep their friendship to continue... 

As for Deokro, he is definitely as scheming as the villains are, but he picked sides, and his pick was San.
I do feel like it is out of character for her to outright reject Minister Hong's offer. Between the two of them, the minister had higher power and has more reach in the political circles, for Deokroo who is a young philosopher/lecturer, would probably get alienated if that minister said so. It would have been a better choice to hide first his his true intensions. this also made me wonder about where DeokRo's confidence came from. does he have a strong family backing, yet that mister also mentioned they are both from the 'Hong line'.. or he is so confident in San..?  I do get, that San has done everything imaginable to be the perfect heir. But still, he probably have a counter against Hong Minister power and reach...  right?

Also been looking at the King Yeongjo and King Jeongjo family, King Yeongjo. King Yeongjo has a number of daughters, but only 2 sons, the first son/crown prince died early, and then Crown Prince Sado. Sado has a few sons but only San is from his consort, the rest were from Sado's concubines. 

I think King Yeongjo has decided and picked San as his successor, he knows the scheming of his minister but he knows how San has tried to be the perfect heir. one thing i can say, is with King Yeongjo making San be adopted under Crown Prince Hyojang (King Yeongjo's first son/crown prince) it would distance San from being Sado's son aka criminal's son. he was the only grandchild he did that too...? right?

Their is a really complicated relationship, but I am liking this iteration of their relationship. Shows us how yeongjo was trying to protect San...

I also like the storytelling/narrative of this drama. It has parts dark and parts light. it has those scheming people at the sideline and the main leads friendship and romance at the forefront.

Ratings for episode 3:

and I need to go back at this cuteness of San being outted:

Edited by czakhareina
  • Insightful 5
2 minutes ago, czakhareina said:

I do feel like it is out of character for her to outright reject Minister Hong's offer. Between the two of them, the minister had higher power and has more reach in the political circles, for Deokroo who is a young philosopher/lecturer, would probably get alienated if that minister said so. It would have been a better choice to hide first his his true intensions. this also made me wonder about where DeokRo's confidence came from. does he have a strong family backing, yet that mister also mentioned they are both from the 'Hong line'.. or he is so confident in San..?  I do get, that San has done everything imaginable to be the perfect heir. But still, he probably have a counter against Hong Minister power and reach...  right?

Oh this was a good point that I didn't think about. Deok Ro was chosen by the King to be San's companion at a young age. So I have a feeling he's got the King's trust as well, and so far from the little we have seen he seems to have a good reputation. Maybe that's why he was a little cocky with the minister? 

ooo 7 % ratings means that they do something right? Was it go on the radio show again? 

What do you think of Court Lady Jo? Interesting character too - at the end of the day for all these officials they want their own candidate as the CP and therefore King. But she also has a soft spot for Deok Im or so I think. 

Pre-released with translations

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, abs-oluteM said:

ooo 7 % ratings means that they do something right? Was it go on the radio show again? 

I had to recheck their rating's promise from Kim Shinyoung's radio show Noon Song of Hope. :smile:

• 7% - LJH & LSY would be guest again 
  • 10% - LJH & LSY would be special DJ's and Kim Shinyoung will have off that day
35 minutes ago, abs-oluteM said:

What do you think of Court Lady Jo? Interesting character too - at the end of the day for all these officials they want their own candidate as the CP and therefore King. But she also has a soft spot for Deok Im or so I think. 

among the villains and oppositions she is actually the most interesting for me. Her duality and the way she projects herself makes her stand out so much. I love her...

the hugs between King YeoongJo and San (young and adult)

Edited by czakhareina
  • Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 2

I bet that palace has a bunch of psychos in it and they could not live well.

Hong Deok Ro gets the king's approval so he'd rather pretend to continue gaining the king's favor and play safe all the time.

Episode 3 is really packed, and based on Lee Deok Hwa's spoiler during press con, it seems that Head Court Lady Jo has so much resentment against the king.

Also, I told @abs-oluteM earlier, I think Junho indirectly dropped the reflection hint in his TRS vlog LOL

And Yi San threw the fan down on the pond as the last resort to save himself? Lol pls :lmao2: Glad to know I made the right guess about my theory on Yi San's identity revelation lol

anyway look at this!

also:

Spoiler

Also an extra reading source about the novel The Red Sleeve:

https://blog.naver.com/duqhdigmlwns/222113352032

Edited by suhodorable
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

The drama is quite detailed, the scenes become black and white, when DI and CP going into the tiger vision :

The tigers retinas comprise mainly rod receptors, which are cells that are sensitive to low light levels and can perceive very slight movements. There are some cone cells (colour receptors) in each eye, but these are used more for day vision, and not to perceive a range of different colours. In fact, it is thought that some tigers likely only see dull greens, blues and reds, while others see in black and white.

From source.

• Insightful 5

ezgif-com-gif-maker-47.gif

40 minutes ago, suhodorable said:

Episode 3 is really packed, and based on Lee Deok Hwa's spoiler during press con, it seems that Head Court Lady Jo has so much resentment against the king.

I think much like what Head Court Lady Jo mentioned with the young DeokIm regarding the lives of court ladies would be, and hinting on what to aspire for. One can clearly see that Head Court Lady Jo once had aspiration to be the King's woman and be like Royal Noble Consort Yeongbin, here are notes from TALKING CUPBOARD on her:

Yeongbin used to serve as a palace maid and received the king’s grace quite late at the age of 31, giving birth to princesses before the much waited birth of Crown Prince Sado. She rose through the ranks – from sukui and gwiin before becoming the senior 1st rank bin with the title Yeong

Source: https://thetalkingcupboard.com/2021/11/17/the-red-sleeve-notes-and-historical-stuff/

but most likely the drama will ascertain that that her not being picked compared to yeong bin will be the reason ft this.

I bet that palace has a bunch of psychos in it and they could not live well.

palaces always have psychos, and the harem usually have the worst of it...

I mean, what I learned from Chinese dramas are, whether a girl  enters the palace in their naive/kind persona or their arrogant/high handed personality, once in residence, you need your wits, ruthless and cunning to survive and thrive.... 

These flowers that king's keep in the backyard have thorns the size of swords.... hidden and sharp thorns/swords...

Also, I told @abs-oluteM earlier, I think Junho indirectly dropped the reflection hint in his TRS vlog LOL

And Yi San threw the fan down on the pond as the last resort to save himself? Lol pls  Glad to know I made the right guess about my theory on Yi San's identity revelation lol

and it was definitely a HINT. though come on who would have thought that it was.

hahaha I really love that scene.... that reveal was so adorable especially San still trying to hide his identity with the fan...

and DeokIm actually just looking at his dragon robes and not his face, before finally getting the glimpse in the relfection...

Edited by czakhareina
  • Like 3
  • Insightful 1
  • Awesome 1

Btw I'm going over the HOT post at theqoo which I shared in the previous post, and a bunch of Korean viewers said that The Red Sleeve should be on Netflix. So I decided to compile the Korean comments in my thread and they all wanted a broader reach to international viewers.

The photo stills for ep 4 omg some more SKINSHIP!!! :Mimed:

• Insightful 1
  • Clapping Hands 3

Episode 4 preview | Eng Sub

15 minutes ago, suhodorable said:

Btw I'm going over the HOT post at theqoo which I shared in the previous post, and a bunch of Korean viewers said that The Red Sleeve should be on Netflix. So I decided to compile the Korean comments in my thread and they all wanted a broader reach to international viewers.

The photo stills for ep 4 omg some more SKINSHIP!!! :Mimed:

woah glad that the ratings as well as audience are slowly getting hooked on the drama

but I really have to commend the drama for having such a good balance (so far) of light romance and politics scheming scenes and royal family narrative...

I do wonder since this is licensed by viki/viu, will netflix take over it...? but if Beyond Evil was able to do it, why not this one...

I asked someone who read the novel and she mentioned that the drama changed a lot of things from novel not only from the DeokIm focused POV but scenes too. she said that this definitely is way more comedic...

She also mentioned that regarding his crown princess consort, "reason why YiSan do not like women". so i guess the main reason we have not seen much of her in this drama is because in Yisan's POV he just doesn't have much interaction with her...

• Clapping Hands 4

Now I feel compelled to go through these properly to see if they will drop us more spoilers. LOL!

Yes I do wish this was on NF. 

1 hour ago, SilverMoonTea said:

The drama is quite detailed, the scenes become black and white, when DI and CP going into the tiger vision :

Oh wow, didn't realise that . The PD clearly put a lot of effort . The palace etiquette etc here feels very detailed as well. 

I find San's sisters likeable and I suppose they will be DeokIm's greatest supporters. Interesting that the grandfather / the King often ended up having a soft spot for Deok Im since she reminds him of his daughter. 

• Like 3
  • Awesome 1

3 minutes ago, czakhareina said:

I asked someone who read the novel and she mentioned that the drama changed a lot of things from novel not only from the DeokIm focused POV but scenes too. she said that this definitely is way more comedic...

She also mentioned that regarding his crown princess consort, "reason why YiSan do not like women". so i guess the main reason we have not seen much of her in this drama is because in Yisan's POV he just doesn't have much interaction with her...

Wondering if the changes were made are because of the more historical accounts that were discovered after the novel is published? So far no Korean viewers are complaining about the "changes" made.

Btw, Hong Deok Ro said something about his sister... what are your interpretations about it?

• Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 1

I was telling @abs-oluteM that this thread moves so fast, I would leave this thread for a few hours and when I come back, I have an entire page to catch up on! :laugh: I'm not complaining though, I just love how much everyone is enjoying it too! :heart:

Random question about Crown Prince Sado, in the drama it was said that his mom was the person behind his death but I remember reading somewhere that King Yeongjo was the one who ordered him to climb into the rice chest. Did I mistaken this?

I like that they didn't make the princesses have bad personalities. It happens a bit too often where the princesses are spoiled so they have an entitled type of attitude. Like someone mentioned, I think they will be supportive of Yi San's and Deok Im's relationship. I'm compelled to think that the King might even be supportive too -- he might react badly at first though. 

The pre-release clip is hilarious. Can't wait to see it! By the way, if they keep throwing salt, they will eventually damage the wooden floor! :scaredpanda2:

Thought this scene was nicely captured. =)

RSC-23v3.gif

• Like 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Heart Eyes 3

@Tofu

I tend to spazz too mcuh I go fangirl mode, and Junho is awesome (for me) at this moment. yes I am a stan...:wow: 

I read somewhere (wiki and other sources) that it was King Yeongjo who ultimate made the decision to make Sado go in the rice chest without food and water. but before that decision, Sado with all of his missdeeds (cruelty, riot, etc), everything spinning out of control (mental illness) and with the last straw with the Sado attempting to kill Yeongjo, I think Yeongbin had no other choice but to finally go to Yeongjo to put a stop of Sado. Thus she opted for a choice that was hard but a choice that would save San and solve the problem; she asked Yeongjo to remove Sado but beseech for the protection and safeguard of San and her mother. So that is why Yeongjo didn't order Sado to be beheaded/exiled/take poison, these punishments are which would make Sado a criminal in their court... and just had him enter the rice box. This would be the form of protection to San and his mom. 

So this is where San thinks she is to blame. For San,  Yeong-bin request of Sado is the final nail in the coffin that sealed Sado's tragedy. 

@suhodorable

I think the changes on drama vs novel is more of the POV and the justification of choices; so the novel is mostly based on DeokIm's POV, her view on San, the royal family, her court lady life... But in the drama to make it more dynamic, you see a more balance narrative between San and DeokIm. plus i think more on the scheming and politics...

I was seeing some post skeptical about the reflection in the water, which personally I was too... but Junho's Vlog really shows that it is possible. 

Spoiler

FEj666AagAEpIyE?format=jpg&name=large

...but yeah the positioning is still a bit questionable since, but for narrative point of view, this is possible

Spoiler

2PM’s Lee Junho And Lee Se Young Grow Closer After She Is Promoted To His Court In “The Red Sleeve”

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Nov 20, 2021 | by E. Cha

MBC’s “The Red Sleeve” has shared a sneak peek of an intimate moment between 2PM’s Lee Junho and Lee Se Young!

“The Red Sleeve” is a new historical drama about the imperial romance between crown prince Yi San (played by Lee Junho), who later becomes emperor, and the strong-willed court lady Seong Deok Im (played by Lee Se Young).

SPOILER

Spoiler

On the previous episode of “The Red Sleeve,” Yi San and Seong Deok Im began to develop feelings for one another after risking their lives together to save their people. However, the episode ended on a cliffhanger: despite Yi San’s best efforts to hide his identity, Seong Deok Im unexpectedly found out that the man she knew as a government official was, in fact, the crown prince.

In newly released stills from the drama’s upcoming fourth episode, Yi San and Seong Deok Im’s relationship begins to evolve after she learns his identity. When Seong Deok Im officially becomes one of his court ladies, the two finally come together as their true selves, without Yi San hiding under a false cover.

Although Seong Deok Im primly faces away from Yi San during her promotion, the crown prince is unable to take his eyes off her. With a gaze full of emotion, he eventually winds up taking Seong Deok Im by the wrist as he speaks to her, while she reacts by staring up at him in shock.

The photos raise the question of whether Yi San is finally making a move and expressing his feelings for Seong Deok Im—and how their relationship will change after she joins his court and spends every waking moment with him.

LINK: https://www.soompi.com/article/1499520wpp/2pms-lee-junho-and-lee-se-young-grow-closer-after-she-is-promoted-to-his-court-in-the-red-sleeve

Edited by czakhareina
  • Like 4
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

I read some answers on Reddit earlier about Hong Deok Ro's sister

Spoiler

Hong Deok Ro's sister is Hong Won Bin who eventually according to historical accounts, became the concubine of King Jeongjo.

More info here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Noble_Consort_Wonbin_Hong

As you can see, she lived a short life too. But I wonder how the drama will take it as some said "age" has been changed in some past dramas.

another take on how they changed some parts from the novel by this viewer:

Spoiler

Kwon Hyun Bin trended on theqoo. And apparently he received good feedbacks on his appearance as he's actually an idol actor currently in YG Kplus? If I'm not mistaken, he's JBJ and Produce idol? Others were surprised as he probably gained weight for his role.

Edited by suhodorable
  • Like 3
  • Insightful 1

I have to agree with @Tofu , the page move too fast for me too. And hey, I love that scene too, Tofu!! Your gif saved. I saw gif of it before I watched the episode and thought I'm gonna have to come in later to post the GIF.

3HEv16I

source: ByulE

I love the paintings of the dragon too. The cinematography is so good here. But I must complained why is it that kdramas just cannot get the CGI of animals looking real? Kingdoms, Red Sky and now The Red Sleeve.

2 hours ago, Tofu said:

Random question about Crown Prince Sado, in the drama it was said that his mom was the person behind his death but I remember reading somewhere that King Yeongjo was the one who ordered him to climb into the rice chest. Did I mistaken this?

You didn't read wrong. I read the same as well. Sado's death is quite controversial and has many sayings. However, by Wikipedia's record, I think the mother did play a part in it: "Fearing for the safety of her grandchildren, Royal Consort Yeong begged Yeongjo to deal with Sado. By court rules, the body of a royal could not be defiled and, under the then-common practice of communal punishment, Sado's wife and son (the family's only direct male heir) could also face death or banishment if he were executed as a criminal.[25] As a solution, Yeongjo ordered Sado to climb into a wooden rice chest (roughly 1.3m square / 4 feet square) on a hot July day in 1762.[26] According to Lady Hyegyeong's memoirs, Sado begged for his life before getting into the chest, though he attempted to get out again.[27]"

Love the part that she finally knows who he is although must say the reflection in the pond is too clear :lmao2:

P.S. I love the pre-release cut for the next episode. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

"Do you have 10 lives?"

@SilverMoonTea I see you are lurking here. Is that mean you will continue?

• Insightful 1
  • Haha 4