The Red Sleeve Cuff 옷소매 붉은 끝동 [2021-22]

I managed to figure out the possible context of tiger and dragon used in episode 3, though in return I got dizzy while reading LOL

Spoiler

Tigers are usually associated to adjectives like strong, ferocious, powerful, and strong. However, tigers are not really that smart and is poor in approach as depicted in Korean folklores.

The dragon in Korean culture is perceived as a state protector.

• Second state councilor's remark on Yi San being able to kill a tiger easily means that someday he will be able to kill a dragon too: the implication - Yi San has the intelligence to take down the tiger, but once Yi San ascends the throne, he will cause trouble and imbalance to their country.

This alone in such context is what made King Yeongjo consider it a slanderous remark. Hence he got mad right after.

• King Yeongjo hugging Yi San with the camera focusing on the dragon painting at the back: the King still plays his role as a state protector and will not tolerate any slander towards his grandchild and heir to the throne

Full messy thread

• Like 1
  • Insightful 4

court lady girl group

Young Yisan actors BTS pics:

33 minutes ago, suhodorable said:

I managed to figure out the possible context of tiger and dragon used in episode 3, though in return I got dizzy while reading LOL

Reveal hidden contents

Tigers are usually associated to adjectives like strong, ferocious, powerful, and strong. However, tigers are not really that smart and is poor in approach as depicted in Korean folklores.

The dragon in Korean culture is perceived as a state protector.

• Second state councilor's remark on Yi San being able to kill a tiger easily means that someday he will be able to kill a dragon too: the implication - Yi San has the intelligence to take down the tiger, but once Yi San ascends the throne, he will cause trouble and imbalance to their country.

This alone in such context is what made King Yeongjo consider it a slanderous remark. Hence he got mad right after.

• King Yeongjo hugging Yi San with the camera focusing on the dragon painting at the back: the King still plays his role as a state protector and will not tolerate any slander towards his grandchild and heir to the throne

Full messy thread

interesting and enlightening context,

I only thought of it in the surface, that the ministers were implying that San was trying to usurp the king by trying to kill and the tiger. and with how easily he killed it, they are trying to make the King doubt his grandson

about Deokro's sister. I remember her from Yisan. and she did only have a few episodes so i am curious if they would bring her up in this drama or not. I mean we still have not seen a glimpse of San's consort... so i wonder if we will see his women/harem

Edited by czakhareina
  • Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 2
34 minutes ago, czakhareina said:

about Deokro's sister. I remember her from Yisan. and she did only have a few episodes so i am curious if they would bring her up in this drama or not. I mean we still have not seen a glimpse of San's consort... so i wonder if we will see his women/harem

Someone I talked to found this about the possible short appearance:

Spoiler

• Like 1
  • Insightful 3

SPOILER RECAPS FOR EPS 4 (Part 1)

Seong Deok-im, who followed Princess Cheongyeon, saw the image of Lee-san covering his face with a fan reflected in the pond. Seong Deok-im was shocked to find out that Lee San, whom she knew as the teacher , was the Crown Prince.

Lee San also realized that Seong Deok-im saw his reflection in the pond. Confused, Lee San dropped the fan into the pond.  Deok-im looked up to see Lee San's face and was shocked.

Just in time, Hong Deok-ro (Kang Hoon) came to Lee San. "From a distance, I saw  you  dropping your fan," Lee San quickly followed Hong Deok-ro when the latter urged him to go to the city center.

The bewildered Seongdeok-im said, “What, why do you deceive people? Why are you playing with people!” she said indignantly. Deok-im Seong went to her friends and feeling angry said , “Let’s throw stones like a hater.”

Lee San waited in the library for three days, but his expression hardened as Deok Im  did not come.

Deok-im became an official court lady  through Gye-rye (a coming-of-age ceremony held for court ladies ), but she said, "I don't want to be a court lady I don't want to go to the Donggung Palace (where Lee San resides) .

f95a6dfa-e569-40a9-a901-c4ff4a2a7b28.jpg

Deok-im, who was packing in the library,  said to herself, "I was really unlucky to meet some people  here, but there were a lot of good things."  She was shocked when  Lee San was standing right behind her.  Unlike before, Deok-im bowed her head to show manners, while Lee San warned, “I am the owner of the Donggung Palace, so I will see you again."

He told Deok-im , "I wasted my time waiting ...I have many things to take care of . Don't waste my energy. I'm tired," he grumbled. After when she thought he left, Deok-im, feeling angry, sprinkled salt on the door  and said, “Liar! It is really bad luck!” she yelled . However, Lee San had actually not left , overheard her cursing and asked, “How many lives do you have?

73d8219a-452d-4e36-86f4-c49ea59a6d69.jpg

Lee San, sat on  a seat next to Deok-im, who was kneeling  on the floor, promised not to get angry, saying, "Don't curse at the back and say things in your heart." In response, Deok-im revealed, "In your  eyes, I'm just an insignificant servant , but I'm a person who will keep you as the master for the rest of my life. It's not right to make fun of me. I also have a heart "

Lee San replied, "I usually wear modest clothes and live a frugal life. I didn't know there would be a stupid palace lady who couldn't recognize my face because of what  I was wearing. And I never called myself the teacher (Deok Ro ) . You were the one who misunderstood me."

"I don't know why I have to clear up the misunderstanding of a trivial palace maid . Don't hold a grudge. I'm tired of worrying about it," said Lee San," and Deok-im said, "I'm truly sorry."

After that, Lee San said, "I know well what you think of me," and warned, "Don't forget what happened until now. Nothing has ever happened between you and me."

After that, Deok-im became the court lady  in Donggungjeon. Lee San showed a sensitive side by reproaching (scolding )  the other court ladies  for words that he couldn't say directly to Deok-im. (Basically he took out his anger on the rest)  In the end, all the other court ladies refused to take care of him ,so Deok-im, the most rookie of the lot , had to take care of Lee San.

Lee San, who pretended not to know, asked Deok-im, "Why are you here?" when only the two of them were left. In response, Deok-im thought, "How dare I serve Lee San  with a body full of anger," and said, "I will change my position , not stand out  and not be seen by you again."

However, Lee San said, "I make the decision and you just follow it," and added, "If you're always next to me, you will just become invisible. You're just one of the countless court ladies  anyway, and it doesn't matter at all. As long as you work well and are useful," he said as if he was trying to convince himself.

6108dbd5-6b5a-4954-b7e6-4ae48dd917e4.jpg

b8badd82-1d76-449d-843b-b4454e9cfc50.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

Mon-Tues: Lovely Runner  Wed-Thurs: -  Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: The Midnight Romance in Hagwon Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - 

SPOILER RECAPS FOR EPS 4 (Part 2)

Deok-im suffers because it is not easy to take care of Lee San, who is strict and perfectionist. Lee San looked at  Seong-deok-im, saying, “It is my job, the owner, to decide your assignment.”

Seong Deok-im is going home ahead of a ceremony on this day. The place that Seong Deok-im visited was the house of Hye-bin Hong (Mal-geum Kang) ( Lee San's biological mother) . Hyebin Hong is the person who raised Deok-Im Seong and Deok-Im Seong’s older brother. Hong Deok-ro also entered the Hyebin Hong family and received the surname of Hong, while Deok-im Seong was listed in the genealogy of those working in the family of Hyebin Hong . Hyebin Hong said, "I'm only concerned about the well-being of Lee San. Please take good care and report anything immediately.”  

Princess Hwawan (Seo Hyo-rim), who is usually jealous of Lee San, tries to hit 100  punishments  on Seong Deok-im  for supposedly violating on some  law (she is picking on Deok Im who had saved Lee San in that tiger incident ) , but Lee San sees it and stops her. However, the differences of opinion between the two cannot be solved , and the two go to see Queen JungSoon . JungSoon  takes the side of Lee San and tries to lighten the punishment, but Princess Hwa-wan is angry and shows a vicious personality, and will not back down. 

JungSoon said "100 punishments  is too much, so how about a six-month reduction in pay?” However, Princess HwaWan did not give up her stubbornness despite the mediation of Jung Soon .

To Princess Hwa-wan, who was doing her best to argue , JungSoon  interrupted her , saying, “I should serve you some food  ” Princess Hwawan, who had no reason to refuse, sat down again, and this time  King Yeongjo (Lee Deokhwa) came.

When King Yeongjo (Lee Deok-hwa) came to meet the royal court and found that Deok Im was there too , he tested Lee San, saying, "You punish her." Lee San said, "If a minister had stepped on Eodo (the King's path in the palace)  instead, he would have been executed, if a commoner did, he  would have been detained and than released later. But for a palace servants this is trivial matter ,  especially because they  look after the lives of the people become monarchs," he replied, asking for a reduction in Deok Im's punishment . King Yeongjo is satisfied with Yi San's merciful punishment and releases Deok Im .

When Jung-joon tried to serve rice cakes, Princess Hwawan reminded King Yeong-jo that he had an upset stomach, saying, "That rice cake is poison for you ( he is allergic) ." King Yeongjo asked Lee San, "Should I eat this rice cake or not?" 
MBC 옷소매 붉은 끝동 캡처
As Lee San was about to recommend eating, he read the face of Deok Im  that signaled to  him saying no. Satisfied with Lee San telling him "don't eat," King Yeongjo knew he could entrust the care of Lee San to Deok Im 

Lee San said, "If it weren't for you, I would have recommended the King  to eat it," and praised Deok as "You're attentive." Thanks to the praise of Lee San, she could not control her restless mind.

Seong Deok-im said, “Thank you for saving me.” Lee San said, “You saved me. I couldn't comprehend the depths of His Majesty's heart. Thanks to you today, I have been able to think deeply.”

On this day, Seong Deok-im under Lee San's mother's order  sets out on the road to check whether Lee San went to Kibang. Hong Deok-ro tries to kill Seong-deok-im,  as she finds out the location of Yi-san's secret meeting, but Lee-san stops him and saves Seong-Deok Im once again.

MBC 옷소매 붉은 끝동 캡처

MBC 옷소매 붉은 끝동 캡처

Spoiler

FEpYwDNUUAIoZnQ?format=jpg&name=medium

• Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 1

Mon-Tues: Lovely Runner  Wed-Thurs: -  Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: The Midnight Romance in Hagwon Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - 

LOL....this man...he's just pretending she will become invisible to him. See how whipped he is.

Oh my , does anyone knows what she is wearing at the end of the preview...looks like she's going up a level / position ? 

And there's a lot of push pull isn't it? 

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 2
  • Clapping Hands 1

I think I can say that I'm officially putting this drama under my current watching list.. :pandahappy:

I was hesitate at first because sageuk or palace setting isn't my favorite genre and I usually won't go near of it. However the teaser about Jun Ho wearing crown prince and later king robes, his melo and soft eyes while looking at Lee Se Young at the teaser bought and persuaded me to watch and try it. :pandablush:

Ep 1, the young actors nailed it with their acts and the appearance of the adult version of San and Deok Im made me anticipated ep 2. And boy, I was having fun watching them interacted as a young maid and 'fake teacher' acts. The tiger hunt was quite nerve-wracking, not because I didn't believe San could catch it or Deok Im won't be able to save her fellow maids during the festival, but the aftermath and the repercussion. In Ep 3, the King anger towards Deok Im who dared to ask the forgiveness for the crown prince and then even when they were just alone, San still not showing that he did the wrong thing for the hunting the tiger. Those two scenes were soo intense that I was almost at the edge of my seat (or in this case, my laptop screen) to know what happened. Thank the King he was wise and kind enough to not follow the bad whispers in his ears. Actor Lee Deok Hwa who played the King really gave a powerful stance as the King and so far I'm loving his act. 

The sizzling chemistry between the San and Deok Im are probably one of the reason why I bought this drama and dare to watch it. I knew it won't be a flower path for those two, not when the enemies are starting to appear, but hopefully I won't be too wounded later if it didn't have a good and happy ending.  I have to prepare for the worst, right? :letalQQ: 

On 11/14/2021 at 7:44 PM, abs-oluteM said:

In fact @LaLaand I was just talking about it on twitter. And while his teacher Deok Ro , the one all the court maids swoon over, seems to be his confidante , will he betray Yi San?  Ever since he took credit for Deok Im's help over the banned book fiasco, I question his integrity. 

I don't know what to think about Deok Ro.. While he's all handsome, his role and status are still suspicious to me. I wonder how young Deok Ro could enter the place and later became a friend to the crown prince? He's not the son of some minister or distant relatives of San, does he? Based on his conversation with one of the minister after the palace conference to discuss about San's disobedience after the tiger hunt, he seemed to not have that much power if not for San's kindness. :pandathink:

And that head court lady, I wonder whether she's a friend or foe for our leads.. She seemed to put an interest in Deok Im, I wonder if she knew that San's mother is her protector and she wanted to used her to take down San as the crown prince or not...

Gaah this palace politics are too confusing T_T

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 5

Currently Watching List:

K-drama: The Real Has Come, See You in My 19th Life 

K-variety: 

54 minutes ago, LaLa said:

I don't know what to think about Deok Ro.. While he's all handsome, his role and status are still suspicious to me. I wonder how young Deok Ro could enter the place and later became a friend to the crown prince? He's not the son of some minister or distant relatives of San, does he? Based on his conversation with one of the minister after the palace conference to discuss about San's disobedience after the tiger hunt, he seemed to not have that much power if not for San's kindness. :pandathink:

Yes, his power is having the backing of LeeSan who seems to trust him implicitly. I am not a fan of Deok Ro because there were some instances where his real motive and what he is like deep down bothers me. As a child, he took credit for tearing the banned book when it was Deok Im who did that. Then at the well with Deok Im , he said that LeeSan should have let more people die first so the King will see how urgent killing the tiger was. And of course his interactions with that minister seems to indicate he is craving power of his own. 

But LeeSan , I am not so worried about him. As much as he trusts Deok Ro for now, he isn't naive. At the beginning during the secret meeting with his trusted officials , he told Deok Ro he wanted concrete evidence and not circumstantial ones for the anonymous letter. He is sharp. Even if you're in his inner circle, he is careful with what he is being told. The fact that he has secret meetings like that shows us that he is not going to be anyone's puppet and desires to secure his position as CP, and in time become the King. 

San isn't an easy person to deal with , and given his temperament and status, he does not and will not  explain himself. So that library scene was a particularly sweet one because he felt bad and gave her an opportunity to vent. He really didn't need to bother but clearly she's an exception. Even when she started serving him, he was a lot less nitpicky on her compared to the others who served him. Of course seeing how he keeps smiling to himself...no questions about how he feels for her.  Court Lady Jo is right. Only someone as bold as Deok Im will be able to handle him. 

Something which I failed to capture in my recaps properly was that Deok Im's father had actually served  Crown Prince Sado ( San's father ) and when Deok Im's parents died, Deok Im's brother begged the San's mother to take them in. So Deok Im ended up being taken into the palace as apprentice court lady. I can understand why Deok Im could not say no to the mother's request to be the latter's eyes & ears where it comes to what happens to San. 

• Like 3
  • Awesome 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

Episode 4 is so packed and I'm having fun dissecting every bit of the episode. However, the back story of Crown Prince Sado and Deok Im's parents are really in a tight spot. I wonder what really happened.

Plus I wanna know what is the bad hunch Yi San's mother has on those meetings with the two lords.

sharing some good stuff I found:

Spoiler

Spoiler

My recap tweet thread

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 3

Some new found observations and historical trivia about this drama so far:

Spoiler

Historical trivias:

Spoiler

Spoiler

• Like 1
  • Insightful 3
On 11/19/2021 at 9:25 PM, czakhareina said:

As for Deokro, he is definitely as scheming as the villains are, but he picked sides, and his pick was San.
I do feel like it is out of character for her to outright reject Minister Hong's offer. Between the two of them, the minister had higher power and has more reach in the political circles, for Deokroo who is a young philosopher/lecturer, would probably get alienated if that minister said so. It would have been a better choice to hide first his his true intensions. this also made me wonder about where DeokRo's confidence came from. does he have a strong family backing, yet that mister also mentioned they are both from the 'Hong line'.. or he is so confident in San..?  I do get, that San has done everything imaginable to be the perfect heir. But still, he probably have a counter against Hong Minister power and reach...  right?

Glad this is mentioned here. The conversation between these two left me totally lost. Overall I don’t have a good vibe about DeokRo. He is a hypocrite.

Next week preview is fantastic!  When Deok Im is promoted San doesn’t look too happy… hmm

wow this drama is going so well.  It’s only episode 4. 

Edited by Mizv
Updated
  • Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 3

The power play here was something else and Princess Hwawan quickly caught on that Deok Im will be his weakness. I completely understand what you mean by needing to dissect the episode @suhodorable I watched this  entire scene twice as I thought that there was plenty of hidden meaning in what everyone said and didn't. San saved her not just merely because he likes  her  - he knew that this was nothing to do with Deok Im, but its his aunt's way of upsetting him and her trying to assert her power over him. 

I think the Queen ( whom I think is Lee San's officially adopted mother) is on his side. But the Queen also knows that Hwawan is the  King's daughter, and she had to be careful when she was caught in the middle of this "battle" between San and Hwawan. She was clever - she knew the King was coming and she also knows that the King must have a soft spot for Deok Im considering that San was forgiven after Deok Im's audience with the King in eps 3. So she delayed Hwawan's departure by inviting her to eat. She was smiling ( with relief) when the King came. The King was careful too not to upset the status quo and to juggle everyone's feelings during the rice cake scene and Deok Im's punishment. Hwawan uses her tears and is expert at guilt tripping. The King tossed the ball to San - getting him to make the decisions. It was very fortunate that San trusted Deok Im's judgement in the rice cake scene. And it was also fortunate that the King noticed it was Deok Im , and "saved" her from the harsh punishment.

FEsmHeQUYAAXUs4?format=jpg&name=large

FEsmJNTVQAQSS7v?format=jpg&name=large

I love that private moment they had after that where he praised her meticulousness. I laughed as I can imagine Deok Im feeling rather confused over whether that was a compliment or not. But for me that would also signal a change in how she starts to view him.

Now the long wait to eps 4 - he asked her in the preview to leave , but she clearly didn't . So I wonder what happened. And I like that San is going to address the feelings he has for her! 

FEtzOgWUUAgpDrG?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 2

@czakhareina @mademoiselle Thank you for answering my question about Crown Prince Sado! I thought I misunderstood it previously, but glad to know that I didn't. 

mademoiselle -- I especially liked when they pan around with him inside and you can see the drawing of the dragon, even better that the face of the dragon was the door the King walked through. LOL @ your animal CGI comment. That's so true and it applies for C-Dramas too. :laugh:

Spoiler

RSC-24.gif

On 11/20/2021 at 3:56 AM, suhodorable said:

Kwon Hyun Bin trended on theqoo. And apparently he received good feedbacks on his appearance as he's actually an idol actor currently in YG Kplus? If I'm not mistaken, he's JBJ and Produce idol? Others were surprised as he probably gained weight for his role.

Wow, really?! He looks so different with facial hair. I didn't even realized that was him! :laugh:

Loved both episodes this weekend. Thanks for all the historical background on the characters! I really appreciate reading those. :heart:

• Like 4
  • Heart Eyes 1

I found something regarding the power play between Princess Hwawan and Crown Prince Yi San. Not sure if that thread helps though

Our leads probably aren't the type who would go into circles without saying anything. Though I may be clowning, but my wild guess is that we may get a bath scene this weekend or the next weekend LOL :SquirtleNiceAhah:

another historical trivia thread:

Spoiler

Edited by suhodorable
  • Like 2
  • Insightful 4
17 minutes ago, suhodorable said:

Though I may be clowning, but my wild guess is that we may get a bath scene this weekend or the next weekend LOL

@czakhareina mentioned it would be around episode 7-ish. Let's hope it's more like episode 5/6 so we can see it this week. :lenny:

By the way, the court lady that Deok Im confined in when she was assigned to be the personal attendant for Yi San, she seems a bit suspicious to me. It's almost like she's collecting information for someone. 

• Like 6

Just finished ep.3... A bit late because I mismanaged my watching time, haha... I had forgotten this drama is on the weekend. Too many dramas :laugh:

Ep.3 has a lot of politicking, which I didn't enjoy, but I really love how the secret identity is finally outed by the lake. It's funny how San tried to hide his face but DI saw what he looks like through the reflection on the water. 

Still trying to figure out who is the bad guys (against San) and the good guys. Especially Head Court Lady Jo. Is she the good guy or bad guy? She is behind the Left Minister Hong Jung Yeo? These two are bad buys? Then there is the youngest daughter of the King, Princess Hwa Wan. She is clearly also the bad guy? 

I love that the King is actually an affectionate person. He was kind towards Deok Im and he loves his grandson, just that he couldn't show it openly.

Will try to finish ep.4 asap so that I can back read on this thread. Btw, OST post on first page is updated with the first OST released. 

• Like 3
  • Clapping Hands 1

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

3 hours ago, Tofu said:

By the way, the court lady that Deok Im confined in when she was assigned to be the personal attendant for Yi San, she seems a bit suspicious to me. It's almost like she's collecting information for someone. 

This reminder what San mom said.  Everyone at the palace is watching and listening 

• Like 4
  • Clapping Hands 3

History is not my forte. I will admit I am quite lost already with the politics. I will only watch for the leads interaction. I will be honest too, that I cannot relax while watching this drama. Somehow I am always so worried for Deok Im, especially now that Princess Hwa Wan has singled her out. This actress, I have never liked any role she played in dramas. On the other hand, I am so glad that Jang Hee Bin’s character is not the antagonist (?) or could I be wrong? She seems to be quite wise and kind so far. 

3 hours ago, Tofu said:

I think so too. 

It’s confirmed. Head Court Lady Jo is up to no good. Anyone knows why Deok Im is the only one who get to sleep in the same room as her teacher? And then one of Deok Im’s besties got picked up in a palanquin?? She is from a rich family? 

• Like 4
  • Clapping Hands 1

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

23 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

t’s confirmed. Head Court Lady Jo is up to no good. Anyone knows why Deok Im is the only one who get to sleep in the same room as her teacher? And then one of Deok Im’s besties got picked up in a palanquin?? She is from a rich family

I find Court Lady Jo an interesting person, and of course given her speech to the court ladies about how the palace is where they spend the rest of their lives , she would want to have control over it. She already had her eye on Deok Im ever since she was a child and part of me thinks perhaps she may have a soft spot for her. But then finding out that Deok Im was brought in to the palace because of San's biological mother, there's more to it. I am sure that she is aware that Deok Im's father must have served under San. Jo definitely has something she is scheming here - to use Deok Im in one way or other.

Deok Im's teacher serves the Crown Prince's residence, and I am guessing would have served under San's mother. I am not surprised that San's mother was the one who got the teacher to take Deok Im in to train her and to look after Deok Im. San's mother being a princess herself knows too how important it is to plant your own people to be your eyes and ears.

I was also surprised that one of her besties left in a palanquin. Is it common for girls from well to do families to try and enter court this way as well?

• Like 5

On 11/21/2021 at 2:27 PM, suhodorable said:

Episode 4 is so packed and I'm having fun dissecting every bit of the episode. However, the back story of Crown Prince Sado and Deok Im's parents are really in a tight spot. I wonder what really happened.

Plus I wanna know what is the bad hunch Yi San's mother has on those meetings with the two lords.

sharing some good stuff I found:

My recap tweet thread

hahah I feel you episode was quite heavy.

all thhe things that happened was such a heavy dose of everything form the leads interaction, to the political side reveal. and to more info with the dealings and life of court lady.. I get whiplash form all that.

about being called a 'Traitor',  I think it has to do with being either being part of Sado's Men. I think as it was suggested with court ladies, the same goes to a royal's entourage. if the master does wrong usually the people around them would be considered part of the conspiracy or traitors or criminals.  and they would usually be put under the same circumstances or punishments. so with that I concur that DI father is one of Sado's men, and thus would usually be labelled a criminal and their family be thought the same... so in turn both DI and her brother are too...

with Yisan's mom, based on stories of Lady Hyegyeong was considered a perfect queen to be, and most likely followed all the norms; but after thr tragdy of Sado the drama is making her a tiger mom who will do anything to protect her son against conspiracy and the scheming that could hurt San. So I think she will do every thing she can to know and maybe help his son. and in some ways I like this portrayal of hers

21 hours ago, Mizv said:

Glad this is mentioned here. The conversation between these two left me totally lost. Overall I don’t have a good vibe about DeokRo. He is a hypocrite.

Next week preview is fantastic!  When Deok Im is promoted San doesn’t look too happy… hmm

In Yisan he was portrayed as someone who was very righteous and very loyal to San for a long time. and he really did help san to the throne, but I think the greed to him. 

this drama is portraying him from the start as solely one dimensional in being scheming for Yi San to be king. so his only purpose in the drama....

19 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

I think the Queen ( whom I think is Lee San's officially adopted mother) is on his side. But the Queen also knows that Hwawan is the  King's daughter, and she had to be careful when she was caught in the middle of this "battle" between San and Hwawan. She was clever - she knew the King was coming and she also knows that the King must have a soft spot for Deok Im considering that San was forgiven after Deok Im's audience with the King in eps 3. So she delayed Hwawan's departure by inviting her to eat. She was smiling ( with relief) when the King came. The King was careful too not to upset the status quo and to juggle everyone's feelings during the rice cake scene and Deok Im's punishment. Hwawan uses her tears and is expert at guilt tripping. The King tossed the ball to San - getting him to make the decisions. It was very fortunate that San trusted Deok Im's judgement in the rice cake scene. And it was also fortunate that the King noticed it was Deok Im , and "saved" her from the harsh punishment.

as far as I know,  the queen is not San's adoptive mother, cause that would make the king his adoptive father which is not the case in their naming and appellation.

I think, Lee San was put under the line under the first son of King Yeongjo Crown Prince Hyojang, who actually died before Sado was born, like 7 years apart. I know it doesn't make sense but I think to yeongjo to somehow help San in being distanced the label "Son of a prisoner" or "Son of a psycho" due to Sado, he used this method to make San be more eligible to succeed the throne

Edited by czakhareina
  • Like 2
  • Insightful 3

On 11/21/2021 at 12:05 AM, abs-oluteM said:

Oh my , does anyone knows what she is wearing at the end of the preview...looks like she's going up a level / position ? 

And there's a lot of push pull isn't it? 

I  just checked talking cupboard about this, and maybe it is because she is assigned to the Eastern palace where they would be ranked differently court ladies.

HERE: https://thetalkingcupboard.com/2014/06/15/women-of-the-joseon-dynasty-part-1/

but I think we will get to know when the drama airs this friday...

20 hours ago, Mizv said:

he really doesn't look happy, I think San has seen how his aunt has targeted DeokIm..  with DeokIm follwing him in ep4, the suspicion of DI being a spy is high; and San probably knows Deokroo will have no qualms to killer her much like ep4 end,

The preview show that he has recommended/sated she leave, but here she was in the palace again. 

this totally rocks his plans...

and here are the behind the scene clips for ep4

• Like 3
  • Insightful 2
26 minutes ago, czakhareina said:

and here are the behind the scene clips for ep4

Thanks for the historical insights. Poor LSY...I felt my knee and back hurt at the amount of kneeling and bowing she had to do. LOL

@ktcjdrama from the Talking Cupboard article maybe this is why one of her friends was in a palanquin

Spoiler

Generally, the court ladies were chosen among the young girls of the commoners or sangmin and the private female slaves of the governing class or sadaebu. However, the commoners were against this practice of sending their daughters to work in the palace at an early age and chose to marry off the daughters at a very young age to avoid being picked as the court ladies. Hence, the candidates for the court ladies were later picked among the private slaves as well as the government slaves, together with the daughters of the aristocrats’ concubines who were once courtesans or slaves. The appointment  process was different for court ladies associated with the inner quarters for the king and queen since they were closely working with the royalties and for this reason, the nain for the inner quarters were recruited by the high ranked court ladies themselves through recommendations and connections.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 2

5 Reasons Why “The Red Sleeve” Is Stealing Viewers’ Hearts

Nov 21, 2021 | by U. Kim

MBC’s “The Red Sleeve” is being praised as a must-watch historical drama!

“The Red Sleeve” is about the imperial romance between crown prince Yi San (played by 2PM’s Lee Junho), who later becomes emperor, and the strong-willed court lady Seong Deok Im (played by Lee Se Young). The drama’s latest episode achieved its highest ratings yet, and the drama also became the No. 1 buzzworthy drama for the second week of November.

Below are five reasons why “The Red Sleeve” is captivating viewers!

1. The engrossing story

“The Red Sleeve” pulled viewers in from the beginning with its creative spin on the story of real-life historical figures King Jeongjo, the 22nd ruler of the Joseon dynasty (born under the name Yi San), and royal concubine Ui of the Seong clan (Seong Deok Im). The first episode portrayed the short encounter between young Yi San and young Seong Deok Im as well as the pressure Yi San had to endure as the son of Crown Prince Sado (Do Sang Woo) and grandson of King Yeongjo (Lee Deok Hwa). The young Seong Deok Im comforted the tormented young Yi San and marked the beginning of a fated romance that would unfold in the future. In the second episode, Yi San and Seong Deok Im reunited as adults, and Yi San began to interact with Seong Deok Im while hiding his status as the eldest son of the Crown Prince.

2. Lee Junho and Lee Se Young’s acting and chemistry

Lee Junho and Lee Se Young have caught the audience’s eye with their acting that befits a historical drama. Lee Junho is capturing hearts with his charming looks, smooth voice, and clear diction, while Lee Se Young impresses with her elegant appearance and versatile acting abilities. The two of them have fun, youthful chemistry when they have little squabbles, but when they share their real feelings with each other, they create a romantic atmosphere. Episode 2 came to an end with a moment of tension and romance, leaving viewers wondering how their relationship and the story will unfold.

3. Strong supporting actors

The solid acting by actors Kang Hoon (playing Hong Deok Ro), Lee Deok Hwa, Park Ji Young (playing Chief Court Lady), and Jang Hee Jin (playing Queen Jeongsun) also received positive reviews. Kang Hoon made viewers suspicious with the occasional cold gaze he hid behind his bright face, while Lee Deok Hwa made everyone hold their breaths with his powerful aura. Park Ji Young and Jang Hee Jin also added more dynamic energy to the drama with their presence.

4. The visual art

As it’s MBC’s first historical drama in two years, the art directors have gone all out for “The Red Sleeve.” The vibrant yet refined costumes are created using high quality textiles, and the rich textures accentuate the beauty of the hanbok. The high winged caps that are representative of the late Joseon era, the braided hairdo done by court ladies, and other details in the props and costumes are successfully appealing to fans of historical dramas. Scenes such as the court ladies’ festival in episode 2 are providing visual entertainment through their beautiful art, costumes, and hair.

5. The lush music

Following the drama’s broadcasts, netizens took to the internet to praise the music director. Music director No Hyung Woo, who has experience working on music for various films and dramas, created the lavish music in collaboration with various orchestra musicians. Viewers have been sharing that the harmonious mix of traditional and modern elements in the music is amplifying the drama’s soft emotions.

LINK: https://www.soompi.com/article/1499679wpp/5-reasons-why-the-red-sleeve-is-stealing-viewers-hearts

other articles:

10 minutes ago, abs-oluteM said:

Thanks for the historical insights. Poor LSY...I felt my knee and back hurt at the amount of kneeling and bowing she had to do. LOL

LoL, I think LSY also mentioned about the constant kneeling. and I really feel for her knees... and he back...

• Like 4