The Red Sleeve Cuff 옷소매 붉은 끝동 [2021-22]

@czakhareina I think drawing from JE's controversy, this production team takes great care in ensuring they are not distorting history or the historical figures. The soompi news article @abs-oluteM shared, the PD had mentioned at the press con that they tried to stay as true to the historical facts as possible. There were new information came up about Deok Im after the writer completed The Red Sleeve Cuff novel, the PD mentioned they've added these info in the drama too. Drawing the experience from JE, the production would also have to ensure they are using props and equipment correctly too. Although not an expert but I can already see how much detail it is in their costumes and how beautiful it is.

I honestly also think Knetizens need lax up about using historical figures for creative content. I get their concerns however personally I find it easier to learn about history when it is presented to me through movies or dramas. It is through this that I find the interest to read up on them (else I wouldn't know what to Google for too).

• Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 2

Well looks like word of mouth is indeed going on after the first two episodes were aired YAY :CharmanderYay:

Spoiler

Not gonna lie, the hashflags by MBC made me more motivated to use the hashtags further lol

and also

Spoiler

Another blog entry about the drama is posted as well

https://thetalkingcupboard.com/2021/11/17/the-red-sleeve-notes-and-historical-stuff/

Some notes I got from press con compiled in a thread (very BIG potential spoiler alert LOL)

Spoiler

Edited by suhodorable
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Party! 1

@czakhareina bar any RL interruptions , I will definitely post recaps. I do it a lot for shows I love. And I really love this one. These two are really cute off and on screen.

@ChocolateI agree with @mademoiselle, this one I think is worth picking up. It's pure historical , no fantasy and fusion plots to distract the storyline. 

----------------

Nice to read Naver articles praising LJH's handle on this character 

https://sports.donga.com/article/all/20211117/110290981/1

110290980.1.jpg

Lee Jun-ho charmed us with the visual of 'Young Jeongjo' by presenting a clean and straight appearance, a dignified posture that feels the aura of royalty, and a subtle sexiness in it. In addition, he drew favorable reviews from viewers by digesting historical drama acting, which requires strong acting skills, with a sweet low-pitched voice and perfect dialogue power. Furthermore, the deep inner acting between the charismatic next monarch and the young man with the trauma of a tragic family history was also outstanding.

On the other hand, the defenseless and naive expression  that is worn like armor and brought out only in front of Seongdeok-im (Lee Se-young) is disarming the hearts of viewers. In addition, as 'Red Sleeve' heralds a wide-spectrum narrative, from the fresh first meeting of  Lee San and Deok Im to the heartbreaking intersection, expectations are already high for Lee Jun-ho's performance. Accordingly, attention is paid to Lee Jun-ho, who has renewed his life character since the first week of the broadcast. 

• Haha 4
  • Star Struck 1

Mon-Tues: Lovely Runner  Wed-Thurs: -  Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: The Midnight Romance in Hagwon Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - 

1 hour ago, mademoiselle said:

@Chocolate come join us xDDDD

1 hour ago, abs-oluteM said:

@ChocolateI agree with @mademoiselle, this one I think is worth picking up. It's pure historical , no fantasy and fusion plots to distract the storyline. 

I wish I could, but the FL lead's eyes scare me :nervous: I even gave up Doctor John which has JI SUNG after only 4 episodes :cry:

• Haha 6
1 hour ago, abs-oluteM said:

Nice to read Naver articles praising LJH's handle on this character 

I watched the subbed press conference last night, and senior actor Lee Deok Hwa has nothing but praises for Lee Junho's acting. He was also unsure too when he knew that Junho debuted in music and not in acting. It may be too good for real, but the senior actor praised Junho at lot of times as if trying to tell the audience "I'm serious about him. He's the real deal and you all need to see how good Junho is."

Edited by suhodorable
  • Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 2
  • Party! 1

@Chocolate You should overcome this barrier and watch with us. It's based on real historical figures and story & you said you had wanted to know more about Joseon history. Lee Jun Ho is playing King Jeongjo, the King Hyun Bin played in Fatal Encounter.

King Sukjong → Yeongjo → Prince Sado → Jeongjo are popular historical figures in Joseon history other than Yi Seong Gye, Yi Bang Won and King Sejong the Great.

• Insightful 7
16 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

Smart move you make there... the magic word... let's see if it works this time :laugh:

shhh-smurfblossom.gif Hahaha

Unlike TKA, I think the politics for this might be more interesting because it's based on real historical figure and Jeongjo, being the son of Prince Sado, had some trying times before and after King Yeongjo's death. Based on Fatal Encounter (and Wikipedia from memory), he also experienced/survived an assassination (as played out in Fatal Encounter). So I'm definitely interested to see if The Red Sleeve Cuff will show us this via Lee Jun Ho's portrayal. Plus Fatal Encounter is just a movie so I didn't quite know Jeongjo as a Crown Prince/King/person.

From drama depiction, my favourite portrayal of Kings was Choi Min Soo's King Sukjong in The Royal Gambler. The actor impressed me with his acting and did it so well that I went reading on Sukjong. And he's an interesting king.

King Sukjong was a brilliant politician, but his reign was marked by some of the most intense factional fights in the Joseon dynasty. Sukjong frequently replaced faction in power with another one to strengthen the royal authority. With each change of government, which was called hwanguk (Korean환국; Hanja換局), literally turn of the state, the losing faction was completely driven out of politics with executions and exiles. Nevertheless, the chaotic changes of government did not affect the general populace significantly, and his reign is considered one of more prosperous times.

I'm impressed Sukjong was able to take control of the court because in most sageuk I've seen, the Kings are the weaker one and rely on the Ministers or they were a puppet and always suppressed or manipulated by the Ministers.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 3
  • Clapping Hands 1
On 11/16/2021 at 5:24 PM, mademoiselle said:

@czakhareina I think drawing from JE's controversy, this production team takes great care in ensuring they are not distorting history or the historical figures. The soompi news article @abs-oluteM shared, the PD had mentioned at the press con that they tried to stay as true to the historical facts as possible. There were new information came up about Deok Im after the writer completed The Red Sleeve Cuff novel, the PD mentioned they've added these info in the drama too. Drawing the experience from JE, the production would also have to ensure they are using props and equipment correctly too. Although not an expert but I can already see how much detail it is in their costumes and how beautiful it is.

I honestly also think Knetizens need lax up about using historical figures for creative content. I get their concerns however personally I find it easier to learn about history when it is presented to me through movies or dramas. It is through this that I find the interest to read up on them (else I wouldn't know what to Google for too).

true. hearing the PD make statement about opting to add newly acquired information to the drama that was left out in the novel was a big heads up for a bit of a historical geek like me..

But I did read somewhere that the novel itself was heavily researched by Writer Kang MIkang. So the material was history heavy versus some other dramas, 

Then, there was also the etiquette crash course training they did,  I think doing that kinda prepared me for expectation of the PD sticking to details however minute it is... or do other dramas do that too? cause as far as I know they do the horseback riding training and swordfight.... never was there on etiquette lesson BTS... correct me if I am wrong in this

On 11/16/2021 at 5:43 PM, suhodorable said:

Well looks like word of mouth is indeed going on after the first two episodes were aired YAY :CharmanderYay:

Not gonna lie, the hashflags by MBC made me more motivated to use the hashtags further lol

the hashtag also had me very motivated to do some tweets. hahaha

but I do hope this translate to ratings.. though I am quite happy how positive the response has been. though I probably quite satisfied with the buzz the drama and its stars have received:

On 11/17/2021 at 3:40 PM, abs-oluteM said:

@czakhareina bar any RL interruptions , I will definitely post recaps. I do it a lot for shows I love. And I really love this one. These two are really cute off and on screen.

woah awesome.

I guess its been a long time since I've been live watching dramas. I remember waiting for the screencaps from media posts... and now, I usually just enjoy watching a drama after it is all complete... all fully subbed.. 

On 11/17/2021 at 2:59 PM, mademoiselle said:

Hahaha I'm still very entertained by this

at first watching I actually thought it was over the top and just unrealistic. I mean how could you just pull on the prince like that.. and how could his guard take time on taking off an armour...

but later after re watching this clip, I ended up liking it, I laugh so hard in this scene as well as the library falling scene, its over the top comedic gold...!!!

And additionally I am relishing the petty revenge and consequent childish satisfaction this crown prince has derived from this.

he is such a brat!!!

BTW first OST has been released:

Title: Hoping After Hoping

Singer:  Whee In

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Heart Eyes 1

An article translation for tomorrow's episode

Spoiler

Also Lee Junho knows most of us are stuck in this drama hole so here is delivering his vlog on episodes 1 & 2 (with subtitles)!

and look how dedicated he is

Spoiler

Plus trivia post on the drama's filming locations and extra info provided about history and stuff: https://blog.naver.com/schoolsharing0725/222571920455

Subbed behind the scenes clip of episodes 1 & 2:

Spoiler

Edited by suhodorable
  • Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 2
  • Clapping Hands 1

Articles:

2PM Taecyeon / Junho / Chansung – 2021.11.13 Korean Article “Beast Idols Shaking the Small Screen in November”

screenshot-2021-11-13-at-12.59.37-pm.png

FULL: https://jlml718.home.blog/2021/11/13/eng-trans-2pm-taecyeon-junho-chansung-2021-11-13-korean-article-beast-idols-shaking-the-small-screen-in-november/

OST translation:

image-18-11-2021-at-7.00-am.jpg?w=1024

credit: https://jlml718.home.blog/

Edited by czakhareina
  • Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 3

28 minutes ago, suhodorable said:

An article translation for tomorrow's episode

Also Lee Junho knows most of us are stuck in this drama hole so here is delivering his vlog on episodes 1 & 2 (with subtitles)!

and look how dedicated he is

he has been adorable in his vlogs,

his episode 1 was where he made a spoiler regarding the bath scene... hahaha

it also another great avenue for people to see just how hardworking he is... 

cast insta update:

Lee Seyoung Update

Spoiler

Kang Hoon and KyungMin

Spoiler

Episode 3 Video Clip Preview

A Bit off topic,

Junho sent 2pm member chansung food truck at his drama set, and he signed it was JeongJo. He literally is lording over his members his royal role... such a brat..!!!

Spoiler

and chansung bowing... hahaha they are adorable

Edited by czakhareina
  • Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 2
1 hour ago, czakhareina said:

Then, there was also the etiquette crash course training they did,  I think doing that kinda prepared me for expectation of the PD sticking to details however minute it is... or do other dramas do that too? cause as far as I know they do the horseback riding training and swordfight.... never was there on etiquette lesson BTS... correct me if I am wrong in this

Not sure pre-Joseon Exorcist controversy they did etiquette course training or not but I know after the controversy there were reports that the production teams will pay more attention to getting the historical facts correct in future dramas (and hire more experts/consultants) to avoid being scrutinised by historians.

Horseback riding and sword fights (action school) are standard for sageuk. Some actors also go for sageuk speech training because Knetizens are especially critical on this. Reason being we get to watch sageuk with subtitles but the Koreans don't if they don't speak their sageuk tone/lines well, viewers can't understand/catch it.

• Insightful 5

Junho explaining about Yisan

Spoiler

BTS of Lee Seyoung

Spoiler

...being such a ball of energy

1 hour ago, mademoiselle said:

Not sure pre-Joseon Exorcist controversy they did etiquette course training or not but I know after the controversy there were reports that the production teams will pay more attention to getting the historical facts correct in future dramas (and hire more experts/consultants) to avoid being scrutinised by historians.

Horseback riding and sword fights (action school) are standard for sageuk. Some actors also go for sageuk speech training because Knetizens are especially critical on this. Reason being we get to watch sageuk with subtitles but the Koreans don't if they don't speak their sageuk tone/lines well, viewers can't understand/catch it.

They came so hard on JE. and sad to see how it was pulled off without any way and chance of them ever rectifying such breach. And the stars was targeted bad, and kinda felt bad for them especially since I liked the ensemble cast.

The production's should have done a waaay better job in doing their research and setting and presenting such things...

...but with saguek speech, this one falls more on the actors/actresses realm of effort and research, so I get the criticism on that on them.

But I  am surprised that they don't enough experts/historian on hand when doing saguek to correct such things... And with JE it felt like there was none at all.

Edited by czakhareina
  • Like 5

@czakhareina With JE , I was under the impression that it was fantasy since it was supernatural and all , so I thought it should have been okay to take some liberties with the history. So sad too as I had been looking forward to it as I like the cast. 

2 hours ago, czakhareina said:

2PM Taecyeon / Junho / Chansung – 2021.11.13 Korean Article “Beast Idols Shaking the Small Screen in November”

I am currently watching Taec's show too ....I like it . Completely different tone from this but makes me laugh so much. I think @suhodorable , you're watching this too right? 

Besides that bath scene , ahem.:smile:  ..I am also looking forward to this one. Will she know he's Yi San by then? Looks like a date? This was from the long trailer 

https://youtu.be/0B8ILZSILzM

AA1ap5k.png

• Like 4

Mon-Tues: Lovely Runner  Wed-Thurs: -  Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: The Midnight Romance in Hagwon Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - 

Kang Hoon Update

Kang Hoon’s quirky charms🤭 l N-terview | Eng sub

KH company Twitter

PressCon

Spoiler

Ep3 (?) still

Spoiler

2 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

@czakhareina With JE , I was under the impression that it was fantasy since it was supernatural and all , so I thought it should have been okay to take some liberties with the history. So sad too as I had been looking forward to it as I like the cast. 

I am currently watching Taec's show too ....I like it . Completely different tone from this but makes me laugh so much. I think @suhodorable , you're watching this too right? 

Besides that bath scene , ahem.:smile:  ..I am also looking forward to this one. Will she know he's Yi San by then? Looks like a date? This was from the long trailer 

https://youtu.be/0B8ILZSILzM

true, Fusion drama should probably have a leeway, but the liberties in JE was probably more than acceptable for koreans to accept, cause as I understood it when it aired, the complains were not only form historians but general audience. It was still not the JE cast fault. was sad the actors/actresses had to apologize for it...

The bath scene, still a long way to go. I do want to temper my excitement before my imagination get the better of me, cause saguek usually does skinship in a very light manner... 

That meeting outside the palace (date?) pic also excite, but me think she still thinks he s Deokroo given that that she can still look at him straight. plus I do want them to go around with carefreeness and enjoy a date (?)

I am curious about the stills they first released, this one:

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

is this a teaser.... or is this part of the drama...? ... 

if this was part of the scene, then I feel like this would be the scene she will learn he is the crown prince

with the amount of promos stills/vids they released, I kinda got confused which are only for promos or teaser vs part of drama highlight..... :laugh:

This drama is the only I am watching live, or subbed is released. I'd probably watch Taec's drama when it is all done. I do see some wacky scenes from clips posted in twitter, I laughed at  clips uploaded. it is so campy :laugh:

Edited by czakhareina
  • Like 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Haha 2

2PM’s Lee Junho And Lee Se Young Cool Off While Filming In The Water For “The Red Sleeve”

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Nov 19, 2021 | by S. Cho

MBC’s “The Red Sleeve” has shared a making-of video from the filming of its first two episodes!

Based on a novel, “The Red Sleeve” is a historical drama about the imperial court romance between a court lady named Seong Deok Im (Lee Se Young) and crown prince Yi San (Lee Junho), who put the nation first before love.

The clip starts during filming on a warm summer day. Lee Junho and Lee Se Young rehearse an upcoming action scene where he catches her before they fall into the water. After they quickly bicker about whether they’re supposed to spin 180 or 360 degrees, they film the romantic scene perfectly while making sure to check up on each other.

Next, they film the actual water scene where Lee Se Young runs out from behind the bushes and falls into Lee Junho’s arms. Lee Se Young makes the director crack up after a few awkward takes, but is ultimately able to finish the scene well. After their stunt doubles film themselves falling into the water, Lee Junho and Lee Se Young begin preparing for their next scene. The director warns them not to fall in while joking around, and Junho teasingly replies, “I’m just going to dunk Deok Im in headfirst.” After filming the chaotic scene, Lee Se Young excitedly calls out, “Let’s film in the water everyday!”

At night, Lee Se Young films a cooking scene with all the other court ladies. Lee Min Ji hilariously shows off her dough that’s turned rock hard and explains that her hands are covered in flour from all her hard work while practicing. When asked if she’s good at cooking in real life, Lee Min Ji quickly responds, “Nope.”

Lee Se Young introduces the dish she was just making and shares, “This is the festival where 500 court ladies come together for filming.” She jokingly adds, “It’s a disaster.”

Later, Ha Yul Ri and Lee Eun Saem take viewers around the festival, showing the children making jewelry and meeting Lee Min Ji where the other court ladies are cooking. Lee Min Ji shares, “I’m making ‘pastries’ [in English],” making her co-stars laugh as they ask, “Were there pastries back then too?”

Lee Se Young and Lee Junho then film in the palace where they reveal fun filming secrets, such as the staff member lying on the floor to open the door and how Lee Se Young is propped up on a box so that her bow can be filmed properly.

As Junho practices writing with a brush, Lee Se Young adorably asks for his autograph and he diligently writes out “Yi San” for her. They continue to joke around in high spirits as Lee Se Young tries to catch a fly for Lee Junho and he randomly dances to 2PM’s “10 out of 10.”

Link: https://www.soompi.com/article/1499309wpp/watch-2pms-lee-junho-and-lee-se-young-cool-off-while-filming-in-the-water-for-the-red-sleeve

Preview of Episode 3 |  Subbed 

MBC ig update: more ep3 scenes

Spoiler

Edited by czakhareina
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1