The Sword & The Brocade 锦心似玉 2021

@Funnypeopleswim about the one child one family system in China ... I remember it’s not that u can’t have two children or more...however they have help from the government on schooling and everything...so if u have more children only your first child or one child in the family can have government support or free schooling ... your 2nd child will not have the privilege 

so unless you’re rich enough...then it’s not an issues so u won’t need the government help...at the same times I remember my friend told me before that certain clan are able to have two children as their population are low and to increase the clan population they are allow to have two children ...

also recently the government had allow the families to have 2 children per family due to their dwelling down population and they are in need of population again to maintain their market demands 

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, NiteWalker said:

@Funnypeopleswim about the one child one family system in China ... I remember it’s not that u can’t have two children or more...however they have help from the government on schooling and everything...so if u have more children only your first child or one child in the family can have government support or free schooling ... your 2nd child will not have the privilege 

so unless you’re rich enough...then it’s not an issues so u won’t need the government help...at the same times I remember my friend told me before that certain clan are able to have two children as their population are low and to increase the clan population they are allow to have two children ...

also recently the government had allow the families to have 2 children per family due to their dwelling down population and they are in need of population again to maintain their market demands 

Thank you. I had no idea. I just always wondered. So money let’s you have more children. Well that’s true in the west too. In a way. I feel bad for second children from poor families. I admit the whole system feels foreign. 

• Like 2

@Funnypeopleswimand few others. I really think there is a misunderstanding thst that some of us are against shiyi characters having her own career n she must give up for her family. Really from all the comments i read no one NONE of us want her to not have both, family n career. We all love a smart capable calm fl n it is precisely this modern thought that makes her special n caught houye attention n finally his love.. We love shiyi in her career mode. 

But lets be logical here.. This career of embroidery has 2 elements here. 1. the ownership of xianlingge the workshop which give her the rights to go there n make executive decisions, which aldo means financial independence 2. as a place where she can go n destress, do research in embroidery and teach n empower other women. No 2 was what she did previously n everyone including court ladies think highly of her because of it. She actually cares about no 2 more as i can see.. It is empowerment of women n passing the skills on that she always talk about . Houye basically only have one principles - supoort her where she wants 1 or 2 or both. Modern men mentality. 

The discussion is NOT about her ability to handle both or her rights to hv a business cum hobby because all of us support that. 

Most of us is saying in such a sensitive time when their political enemy are still rampant n one fail move not only cause the family downfall but their lives as well.. I need to say this.... in those imperial time, one  mistake does not only have ur head n ur immediate family member heads roling, but entire household including maids n servants imprisonment n heads rolling. N in imperial china if mistakes like treason (why we think ou will not play the card of treason), u have what they call a 9 generation execution. What is 9 generations - household male leader side relative upper 3 generations up to grandparents, 3 across generational cousins n 3 generations downwards of offsprings so up to the person grandkids PLUS his wife side 9 generations. Coming from that context, we think it is illogical for her to be adamant when times are sensitive. Would it not be better to temporarily give up no 1 first but she can insist to continue w no 2.

Keeping no 1 gives your enemy an extra way to get to u n your family. Its like u put urself in the situation unnecessarily. That is what her mil n sil were saying but the mil did in a very very mean way n i hate her for it. Did u guys nitice that when her mum make the requests houye was very quiet because i believe it makes sense n he was saying to shiyi lets see how to go around this. Thats sensibke. N Once ou is eliminated she can always go back n be more active in the business n i m sure her master will open her arm's to her still. Master jian will understand why shiyi stop for now. N shiyi still can cont w no 2 n nego n fight for no 2. Houye will support her to teach n empower n help poor women. She can go xianlingge like what she did in earlier episodes but of course as houye's wife, not a maiden and wo the conflict of interest. Doing no 2 will help the xu family in doing csr too. Haha too.. Will look much better too. 

I came from South east Asia, Malaysia to be exact n we hv too many examples of poltical downfall due to wives having all sort if conflict of interest. We hv in tsiwan a chen sui bian, Philippines a Marcos, Malaysia a najib n rosmah. Share holding that embroidery workshop in the modern days is like share holding Hermes LoL... Haha... We also hv the Singaporean good example of lee kuan yew n his super intelligent lawyer wife (she beat lky in Cambridge as top student n drafted the MalaysiaSingapore water contract ) whom end up not practising because of the hubby political career. N no one, absolute zero ppl think she is silly n weak for not staying to run her own practice. His son's wife on the other hand because she helmed temasek had repeatedly got herself n her hubby to be under unnecessary attacks even though she was already doing that job n super good at it before marrying him. That's just life in a way. Some women are fated to play a support role. Who we meet n fall in love at that certain point in time n marry really is actually in a way heaven will. If u guys watch the latest clip, young ou in prison says to shiyi.. If fate did not twist, i would be a more  suitable person for u than xu lingyi. I kinda agree w him. Fate!!! Sigh!!? 

But this is a drama after all. Hope we all understand it is the script that makes it illogical. It continues write xianlingge s controversial among the family n yet all the way makes the enemy uses xianlingge as a tool. Even the finale scheme. I m very confused what is the scriptwriter trying to say to the audiences. 

Edited by SnT
  • Like 2
  • Insightful 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

@Funnypeopleswim

This is not about woman is the only one has to sacrifice her career but it’s about a making a wise choice as a spouse of a politician in order to protect own family.

IF we reversed the situation by Shiyi is The Marchioness and LingYi has a share in a chariot service centre, LingYi has to do the same too. Just like what @SnT pointed out about even in the modern time there were many examples of some male politicians’ spouses that stay behind the screen. I would like to add some females politicians who spouses barely seen in public or even “hiding” in another country like Carrie Lam of HongKong, Aung San Suu Kyi of Myanmar, Megawati of Indonesia and many many more. 

Shiyi is living in the past where the stake is much much higher than modern time. If her situation happens during our time, worse comes to worst HouYe will be strips down from his position but in the past staggering amount of  heads will roll.

Edited by OsmanthusTea
  • Like 3
  • Clapping Hands 1
25 minutes ago, OsmanthusTea said:

@Funnypeopleswim

This is not about woman is the only one has to sacrifice her career but it’s about a making a wise choice as a spouse of a politician in order to protect own family.

IF we reversed the situation by Shiyi is The Marchioness and LingYi has a share in a chariot service centre, LingYi has to do the same too. Just like what @SnT pointed out about even in the modern time there were many examples of some male politicians’ spouses that stay behind the screen. I would like to add some females politicians who spouses barely seen in public or even “hiding” in another country like Carrie Lam of HongKong, Aung San Suu Kyi of Myanmar, Megawati of Indonesia and many many more. 

Shiyi is living in the past where the stake is much much higher than modern time. If her situation happens during our time, worse comes to worst HouYe will be strips down from his position but in the past staggering amount of  heads will roll.

Makes me think of Prince philip duke of Edinburgh w Queen Elizabeth. He had bloominng military career n gave that up to msrry the then princess Elizabeth n stood by her sides for countless years. I m sure not only career but his likes n dislikes n hobby even. Really a modern example of reverse houye shiyi. Lol.

But when u fall in love w that level of important ppl, it is sadness n joy at the same time. If career n interest is really that important to the person, n situation does not permit, the choice need to be make. Like the choice of what hupo suggested, leave with young ou. But fate has it she not only marry lingyi but they love each other deeply.. That is why we must appreciate our simple life. Having status n money in a big way looks good on the outside but we never sees the scarifices they make n the heartaches that comes w it. 

Edited by SnT
  • Like 4
1 hour ago, SnT said:

I came from South east Asia, Malaysia to be exact n we hv too many examples of poltical downfall due to wives having all sort if conflict of interest. We hv in tsiwan a chen sui bian, Philippines a Marcos, Malaysia a najib n rosmah.

Hi fellow malaysian!!!:smile: 

• Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 1

I just couldn’t resist and I watched up to episode 42. Heeheehee. Maybe, just maybe, the reason why she is so insistent and adamant about staying in XianLingGe is because it’s part of a plan that she and Houye and young Ou master decided on so that they can deal with the old man Ou? Seeing how the 3 of them planned and worked so well together to bring down that idiotic Ou guy was so satisfying. Their teamwork and trust in one another was just amazing. So let’s all hang in there.....maybe it’s not so complicated as what we think. The truth will finally be revealed and our hearts will be settled (hopefully!). Fingers & eyes crossed!

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1
1 hour ago, Yana said:

Hi fellow malaysian!!!:smile: 

Haha wave wave... Muak @Yana

@jujubei saw the clip trailer. Both men did their ways to save her... N young ou in end prison. It will be sad if he is beheaded because he is an ou. Hope they can save him. He must be my most favourite sml ever. Never underhanded trying to get shiyi attention, and yet help her, understand her n protect her. It is written like he is really no less in his feelings for shiyi compared to houye. I would even say  like a younger version houye or a houye that hasn't gone through the old marquis n brother death, like how linbo describe him - happy, lively, cheerful, love polo, love music n poetry n carpentry too haha... 

But he says one classic line in the trailer. Here this is the link 

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CMzpTfwFO9a/?igshid=1fu0ful912m0q

If fate did not twist our lives, i would be a more suitable person to u than xu lingyi. Ouch ouch ouch.. It hurts because it is true. Marrying ou would mean she is just a merchant wife, travelling w him, going to places they like n he will love her n protect her n be there for her two wo all the inner courtyard struggles n outer politics. Sje will be his only wife n he also bought some shares in xianlingge n shiyi will be the lady boss automatcally.. Woof how perfect. I think characters wise they suit each other too being children of concubine. That is IF he never goes back to his ou family.

Edited by SnT
  • Like 3

subs:

Lingyi: there isn’t much time. I have to go save ShiYi 

————-

Xu Madame: ShiYi Niang, you are the main wife of the Xu Family. Even if I have to give up everything in the Xu family, I won’t give up. 

Officer: It’s time 

ShiYi: Thank you, mother! For protecting me. 

citizens: don’t kill her, she’s a good person

————-

=If this game, it was predicted that I will lose=

Ou Yan Xing: If it isn’t because of fate...Then I would be more suitable for you than Xu Lingyi. 

Then the end the Emperor promoted her status. 

• Like 4
  • Clapping Hands 1

currently watching: Love Me Love My Voice, A Journey To Love

currently translating: The Legend of Jewelry 

Well, I am totally agreed that Ou YanXing is a more husband material than Xu LingYi.....:PsyWhat: Both are good looking, wealthy, great personality, smart and loving. The downside from Xu LingYi is he comes with lots of extra baggage from MIL, concubines with stepkids, rigid protocol, formidable enemies etc etc, while Ou YanXing is a free agent. This is a classic example of "the right timing".

• Haha 2
5 hours ago, OsmanthusTea said:

@Funnypeopleswim

I think that if you limit the solution to just two options it’s just a little sad.

I’ve caught up to the episodes. It feels like many people agree with Madam Xu. Who is worried about her family name and her family feud with the Ou.

The real issue had little to do with the embroidery shop. It’s just what the enemies know is Shiyi’s weakness, or at least that’s what they think it is.

This is about the private bann. It’s also about money and winning the king’s favour. The real threat here is the concubines that Madame Xu brought into the family, and the Ou’s. It’s about two families who have been at odds with one another for two generations. 

If they want to save the family from danger they should root out the real problems. Instead of what Madame Xu always does with is make Shiyi take the blame. The poor girl has bailed out the family and rooted out their spies. And the old woman still can’t give her a break.

And neither can the audience it seems. The Xu’s women’s real objection is that the SML is a partner in the embroidery shop, and I do understand that. But he’s not the threat. And both Shiyi and Houye, don’t think he is. But what they feel doesn’t seem to matter.

By episode 42 Shiyi’s selfish desires to keep the “hobby” helps bring down their enemy. Still, the entire family had to convince the Old Madam that she was wrong in her old fashion thinking. 

I understand there comes a time when people have to give up what they love for someone they love. And for many, it seemed like Shiyi should to do that. But she found a way where she didn’t have to. And she found a husband who supported her.

It’s a romance. In reality Shiyi would have no choice. I just wanted us to think of more options than simply give up a place she loved for the good of the family. 

Because if you think about it, it’s the family that’s been really selfish.

• Like 2

@SnT I am being logical. I don’t feel that Shiyi removing herself from the Embroidery business is going to help the family. Nor do I think it’s the business that is harming the family. Because their enemies are out to get them. They will find something else to use.

They have spies in the house. They have people actively scheming everywhere. Every time Houye steps into court their is a plot. The rice fiasco had nothing to do with embroidery. Neither was the death of Shiyi’s mom, sister, or the plot to poison a child. In the latest 6 episode the when the boy goes missing or the maid is trapped, those things aren’t caused by Shiyi’s embroidery. 

The concubines didn’t want Shiyi in the house. So they plot to get her out. The Ou don’t like the Xu’s request to lift the ban so they try to ruin the family pretty much anyway they can. 

It seems like it would be simplier if Shiyi could give the embroidery shop, and maybe she will, but I am say it’s not going to solve the real problems.

Anyways, we can just disagree. I mean it real life it’s not an easy choice nor is it a fair one. 

Also I can’t speak to Malaysian politics, but I can say at least Prince Phillip chose to marry Queen Elizabeth. Shiyi did not get the privilege to choose who to marry.

• Insightful 1

@Funnypeopleswim

All of us know that the real problem isn't the embroidery shop itself BUT how that shop can be uses as a weapon to destroy Xu Family thru ShiYi.  That shop is like a painted bullseye behind her head.  ShiYi as a woman in an important position with responsibility to match shouldn't give the enemies such opportunity, enemies here being Ou Family and those snake women. Life is never fair and no one can have it all. You loss some, you gain some.

Some of us including me here can relate to ShiYi because we are mother, wife and working woman. We are facing choices between family and work on daily basis. Compromises and insight are needed. But IMHO when life is the stake there is no compromises, life comes on top.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, OsmanthusTea said:

@Funnypeopleswim

Some of us including me here can relate to ShiYi because we are mother, wife and working woman. We are facing choices between family and work on daily basis. Compromises and insight are needed. But IMHO when life is the stake there is no compromises, life comes on top.

I understand that. I can also see a lot of people relating to it. And I know a lot of people who had to make those kinds of sacrifices. I also know what toil it takes an a person who has to make that kind of sacrifice. The burden it carries.

It’s a good story that can spark this much debate. I guess I just optimistically wish anyone who has to make sacrifices to have better options.  

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 1
18 minutes ago, Funnypeopleswim said:

I guess I just optimistically wish anyone who has to make sacrifices to have better options.  

This will be depend upon the person who has to make the decision. In my case since I am busy and not a type of person who want to be bother by buzzing flies type of problem, I would rather make a clean decision. IF I put myself in ShiYi's shoes and I know that the embroidery shop will be uses as a weapon against me then I will make a clean cut rather than hold onto it and I have to swatch off those flies from time to time. But the ones in your camp maybe will try to balance both while eliminating Ou and snakes. It's really depend....

• Like 2
51 minutes ago, OsmanthusTea said:

This will be depend upon the person who has to make the decision. In my case since I am busy and not a type of person who want to be bother by buzzing flies type of problem, I would rather make a clean decision. IF I put myself in ShiYi's shoes and I know that the embroidery shop will be uses as a weapon against me then I will make a clean cut rather than hold onto it and I have to swatch off those flies from time to time. But the ones in your camp maybe will try to balance both while eliminating Ou and snakes. It's really depend....

Same same. Attacks  from ou will come regardless of xianlingge because it is from directions. Xianlingge ia just one of the many ways. But i would ask myself if i m actually giving them that weapon to be used against me n my family. 

For me i dont want to keep my backdoor open for my enemy to sneak in. One backdoor is enough to keep watch. If i have 5 backdoors i will be dizzy keeping guards. Too stressful haha.... N if i still so young like shiyi n knowing my hubby is such an excellent supooetive character, i will not put myself n my family in that situation for potential attacks which has very very high stakes.

But if i hv a timeline n say i m of certain cut off age, maybe i will try to go for it regardless. But Everyone is right. Its a choice. Some ppl are very capable n they thrive under stress, they will hv the spirit of bring it on!!!! 

Some ppl likes things clean n dothe process of elimination  to rid those dangers first  so we focus on things we can manage. Some ppl arw just good ay multitasking n they can strategise very well. 

Give u a funny example, are u the type that drive ur car n saw ur oil tank at last section but still believe u can make it or the type that always before u reach the last section, u start to find the gas station. Haha..... Lol.. So it does depends on the character of a person n how well u can take the stress.. 

Edited by SnT
  • Like 1
33 minutes ago, OsmanthusTea said:

Lol, it really does depend on the person. The buzzing flies analogy is funny. It's a difficult decision.

Personally speaking, I went against my families wishes and studied art. The whole time I was in university my parents would encourage me to quit. They thought design was a useless field and I should go into business or be a lawyer or something. They were embarrassed by my field of study and feared that I would end up like a street artist or unemployed. 

It might have been better if I had done what they wanted. We didn't have a lot of money, and both my parents found themselves unemployed during that time. I borrowed money to go to school and worked full time while in university. I barely graduated. Ironically design, and specifically web design ended up being one of the most highly sought after fields after I graduated. But that was just luck and good timing. 

Honestly I just did what I wanted. I was being selfish because art and design were the only skills I was good at. I couldn't really be anything else. 

I'm not sure there is a right or wrong. We make the decisions we do, based on what we know at the time. Hindsight only comes after. As you say it all depends on the person.  

---

Also if I am honest I am just tired of Madame Xu. She really annoys me. 

I would be a terrible daughter-in-law to her.

• Clapping Hands 2
  • Party! 1
8 minutes ago, OsmanthusTea said:

@Funnypeopleswim

Who is SML??? Small Medium Large???? Pardon my cluelessness of abbreviation.....:shocked: 

Sorry, I've become lasy.

SML = Second Male Lead. The younger Ou who had a crush on Shiyi. I can never remember his name. The Good Ou.

Also to those caught up: How did Amber's sister die, who was she really married too? I know she was a concubine. But my Mandarin is rubbish. Help!

Edited by Funnypeopleswim
  • Like 1
8 minutes ago, Funnypeopleswim said:

Sorry, I've become lasy.

SML = Second Male Lead. The younger Ou who had a crush on Shiyi. I can never remember his name. The Good Ou.

Also to those caught up: How did Amber's sister die, who was she really married too? I know she was a concubine. But my Mandarin is rubbish. Help!

Hmmm, based upon the trailer and still Amber seems to be ends up with Young Ou. Amber's sister is Concubine Tong, HouYe's dead concubine who was YuanNiang's maid. She took advantage of HouYe drunken state, similar to WuYe's case. She died of heartbreak after being ignored if I am not mistaken

Edited by OsmanthusTea
  • Like 2
  • Insightful 1