The Sword & The Brocade 锦心似玉 2021

@gween97 i kinda feel u. Maybe it is like there are some point they dont really answer properly such as timeline (suddenly they r married for few years when first 35 episodes is like based on danyang pregnancy onky 9 months), why houye doesn't really care for yuge as much as chunge, this thing w xianlingge also don make sense if wat she wants was to teach the skillsz etc... I mean there r some sloppiness in the scriptwriting. I feel that is where the prob is. N suddenly in few episodes 2 of concubine are gone. For esp 36 onwards is rather jumpy like they r trying to wrap it up asap. But it is still one of my fav show ever for a long while.i guess for historical drama it is the much better  than the ones thst i hv watched for a long while. There some historical ones that is very long, plotty n  heavy like yanyuntai, rebel princess and some really romcom young ones like general lady, etc which feels very childish if not executed properly. S&b is like in between.

For modern dramas the recent 2021 ones i really like my little happiness n unexpected love. Both really makes me laugh. You are my hero i enjoyed the disaster relief n how the medical n security sysyem in china are like. Very touching in a way.. As for romance seems like a n atural development n not forced.. So it is quite nice. 

Edited by SnT
  • Like 4
11 hours ago, SnT said:

@NiteWalker is like why u put urself in that position when u know so many out there want to get ur hubby. Why must u be the weak link by owning thst business just to prove women can be independent n stand up for themselves. Unfortunately she is marquis yong ping wife n u really cannot hv ur cake n eat to top cherry n cream too. That is life. True she doesn't do it for pocket or status but she is jeopardising ppl around her.

exactly....her husband is a politician so there are times they have to tip toe around....

back in the olden days....even a simple written msg can get them into trouble if it is not handle correctly......this is the part where i found ShiYi a little out of the lines.....sometimes she need to stand outside the box to look insides and see from their points too

• Like 4

Hi, all. I have been reading all the discussions about how ShiYiNiang should consider the Xu family and implications and problems that will arise because of Xianling Pavilion and I just wanted to share my thoughts about it. I think it's a very difficult and painful very decision for her because Xianling Pavilion is so so so precious to her. In episode 34, when she was drunk, she revealed that she didn't have a happy childhood in the Luo Family. Xianling Pavilion represented a time when she was the most carefree and at ease, a place where she can escape from the Luo family and the mistreatments, a place where she can be herself, a place where she most probably had wonderful and precious memories of her mom....this is a very hard thing to give up if you have been suffering for your whole life. The Xu family wants her to leave Xianling Pavilion but they didn't say that she can go back to teach embroidery classes. They just wanted her to leave Xianling Pavilion and concentrate on serving the Xu family, Houye and have babies. I think that's a very hard and bitter pill to swallow. Although it is the expected responsibility and duty of the first wife to fulfil this, you have to understand that ShiYinNiang didn't want this duty in the first place. She was trying very hard to run away from such a life. She wanted to be independent and support her mom and herself. That's her character and her desire. Since being married into the Xu Family, she has been working so so so hard to balance both Xianling Pavilion and her responsibilities in the Xu Family. And she has been successful so far in balancing both worlds. Throughout the whole drama, you can see that she is always embroidering. That is her only way of destressing and trying to get away from all the family politics, back-biting of the concubines etc. That is the only way to save herself. I think if she didn't have this avenue to destress, she may go crazy or have a mental break down or kill herself or just end up behaving like those stupid people around her. Inspite of all that happened, she has always remained calm, composed and polite. She has never freaked out or threw her temper which is really inhuman! Lol. Please don't hate me for saying all these. It's just my 2 cents worth. I love this show. I had so much difficulty getting past the first few episodes and I almost gave up on this show. I was cursing and swearing so much in the beginning. Lol! But I ended up re-watching this show so many times while waiting for the new episodes to be released. Yes, the slow burning romance is really so slow but it makes it all the more satisfying when they finally came together. It really showed the patience, tolerance and forebearance of Houye. If ShiYiNiang had ended up marrying Wang Yu and she tried to avoid him like how she avoided Houye, she would have been beaten to death immediately or forced to consummate on their wedding night!!!!

• Like 8
  • Insightful 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

@jujubei also hv to close my eyes to all the meanness so many times during the first 6 episodes. But now i cam rewatch them n understand the characters of houye n shiyi n the concubines better. N i still hate madame luo. She is one characters that no matter who says what is not going to redeem herself. In the end she still want yang to die first.. What crazy woman. 

Don worry.. U r very welcome here. No one is trashed for having a different views. We all love the drama so much n i personally rewatch many episodes numerous time cause so far no drama during this caught my full interest. I love the sets, costumes, ost n all the acting m directing. What i find regarding the issues of xianlingge is sloppy script. I mean please do something more interesting. Whilst we all understand why she love it the script provided rhat to us n u r right because she has a hobby n place to retreat, she cam stay true to herself n be kind n calm. Definitely agree w ur point. 

On the family end they sound so demanding but 2md sil n mil point is very valid. Wo u realising ppl are planting daggers there. U think u are just sewing n helping others but the daggers will slice ur throat before u even realise it is there. N basically it did happem again in the finale scheme. Its frustrating to me the script makes her look so adamant. Yet threw in that plot line of her being framed w xianlingge again. Isnt it like madame xu can say.. I told u so, if u hv listen n discharge ur shares, xianlingge n master jian will not be the target n they cant use it to implicate her... U see that final scene happen n old ou marquis can use it because his son already discharge from it.. I just find this plot a bit annoying. Is like huh xianlingge again. 

• Like 6
39 minutes ago, jujube said:

Hi, all. I have been reading all the discussions about how ShiYiNiang should consider the Xu family and implications and problems that will arise because of Xianling Pavilion and I just wanted to share my thoughts about it. I think it's a very difficult and painful very decision for her because Xianling Pavilion is so so so precious to her. In episode 34, when she was drunk, she revealed that she didn't have a happy childhood in the Luo Family. Xianling Pavilion represented a time when she was the most carefree and at ease, a place where she can escape from the Luo family and the mistreatments, a place where she can be herself, a place where she most probably had wonderful and precious memories of her mom....this is a very hard thing to give up if you have been suffering for your whole life. The Xu family wants her to leave Xianling Pavilion but they didn't say that she can go back to teach embroidery classes. They just wanted her to leave Xianling Pavilion and concentrate on serving the Xu family, Houye and have babies. 

I'm happy to see someone who shares the same view when it comes to LSY. I feel bad for her because the pavilion is a part of who she is. Her solace when she was younger. It's really tricky. But fret not because she is smart, considered the problem already handled.:MewWave: 

• Like 9

@jujube

I understand where you came from but IMO each person whether man or woman, husband or wife, ancient or modern, young or old will reach a certain point where you have to make a choice that will sacrifice some to gain some. Like some modern women nowadays who have a great demanding career and married with children at the same time. In certain situation they urgently need to make a choice, will they choose career or children or neither or both??? From each choice the person will gain some and lose some. It's all about the person's heart.

In ShiYi's case I do think her persistent in keeping the embroidery shop for her own personal satisfaction is not worth it IF in return some life and family will be destroy. She can always channels her hobbying, distressing, passion of embroidery in another ways rather than put her and family as sitting ducks.

Edited by OsmanthusTea
  • Like 4
  • Clapping Hands 2
52 minutes ago, Yana said:

Wow....i really want smack amber's head!!! :mad: and madam qin...i really want to skip all angst eps. :shocked: 

Actually it wasn't so bad as in angst because the husband n wife relationship was not affected by this combo of qin - amber - madame xu combo. It was more like a stressful time for them because of madame xu who was puppeted to push shiyi into a corner. And amber who is puppeted to bring shiyi out. So one push n one 'rescue'. Snake ou method is separated the husband n wife till the wife leave him. N he was clever enough to bring young ou in to help shiyi. So to create an impression of 2 men fighting over the 1 woman. 1 arrow 3 birds. 

So qin mission is to push shiyi away from houye n our of the house. 

I thought qin is the best schemer.. All the time she never say anything but says nice things n ask questions like what n who can help shiyi i wonder. Others basically arrive at the answers themselves. Such clever spy.

N amber is just.... I m speechless. Since when she can decide for shiyi or anyone else for that matter what is good or bad for them. I really dislike that attitude of i know what is the best for my madame. Uh huh so clever till overstepping herself d. Glad houye kick her out. Her loyalty n honesty is not absolute. 

So @Yana don skip. Its just stressful n makes u want to hit amber n MadameXu for being such idiots. N u got to admire qin for such good move. Her only mistakes are she underestimate the couple tightness n shiyi understanding n trust for her two maids characters n of course young ou discernment. 

Edited by SnT
  • Like 4
  • Insightful 1
12 minutes ago, SnT said:

So @Yana don skip. Its just stressful n makes u want to hit amber n MadameXu for being such idiots. N u got to admire qin for such good move. Her only mistakes are she underestimate the couple tightness n shiyi understanding n trust for her two maids characters n of course young ou discernment. 

Actually...i'm at ep 41 now...dont understand much chinese...slowly watching. now at the scene whre shiyi and young ou inside the carriage...wonder what's gonna happen next.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, OsmanthusTea said:

@jujube

I understand where you came from but IMO each person whether man or woman, husband or wife, ancient or modern, young or old will reach a certain point where you have to make a choice that will sacrifice some to gain some. Like some modern women nowadays who have a great demanding career and married with children at the same time. In certain situation they urgently need to make a choice, will they choose career or children or neither or both??? From each choice the person will gain some and lose some. It's all about the person's heart.

So well said. U hit the right note about gain n lose. I m a working mum n there are many many instances i hv to decide whats the best for family n career. each time i need to consider my husband feelings n schedule too besides if my kid will be affected. I remembered once i wirked so late n cane home tired n slept n my daughter ran a high fever to 40 deg. My hubby was the one who noticed her temperature in time. On the way to hospital i hated myself for not waking on time n for thinking why my work was so important till rhis happen. If she end up having a terrible side effect, i doubt i will forgive myself.

In our time, our household is so small n life much less comolicated, a working woman is difficult enough already. What more to say wives of politicians. N a household of over hundred of staffs plus kids n mother in law. But i still think she deserve a career n she did well balancing. If times are peaceful n no stalking tigers like houshold mole n the ous (who has caused a downfall once already) she really should continue but when there is so much unrest, maybe should reign in a bit n leave for now. Houye still support her n her master jian is still there, not going anywhere. 

Edited by SnT
  • Like 5
  • Clapping Hands 1
2 hours ago, jujube said:

Hi, all. I have been reading all the discussions about how ShiYiNiang should consider the Xu family and implications and problems that will arise because of Xianling Pavilion and I just wanted to share my thoughts about it. I think it's a very difficult and painful very decision for her because Xianling Pavilion is so so so precious to her.

not easy letting go of that part that always keep you happy.....

we are not blaming her....though sometimes at process of growing up....we do need to let go of something precious to us too....

and also i like to welcome you in joining us :) we love to hear every perspectives and then share our own too hahahaha... no offense will be taken :)

• Like 5
33 minutes ago, SnT said:

But i still think she deserve a career n she did well balancing. If times are peaceful n no stalking tigers like houshold mole n the ous (who has caused a downfall once already) she really should continue but when there is so much unrest, maybe should reign in a bit n leave for now. Houye still support her n her master jian is still there, not going anywhere. 

ShiYi and everyone totally deserved a career, a hobby,  "guilty pleasure" or "me time" but not with a price of a family or other innocent life. Her husband who she loves dearly is a great politician with many enemies, one misstep heads will roll. As a smart person she should realises that. Even during modern time, some politicians' immediate family are in the spotlight because of their business and in many countries president and wife are not allow to own a business in order to avoid problems.

• Like 6
38 minutes ago, OsmanthusTea said:

ShiYi and everyone totally deserved a career, a hobby,  "guilty pleasure" or "me time" but not with a price of a family or other innocent life. Her husband who she loves dearly is a great politician with many enemies, one misstep heads will roll. As a smart person she should realises that. Even during modern time, some politicians' immediate family are in the spotlight because of their business and in many countries president and wife are not allow to own a business in order to avoid problems.

i think we have a pretty much easy life as a commoner instead and in the modern era where things werent so complicated at all

• Like 5

But don u think the script is lazy... After showing how harmful xianlingge can be for her n houye, n madame xu against her going anymore. All the conditions of harm lay down, so fine, the career n hobby win!!! But the finale scheme is still xianlingge i was like what... Are they so lazy to think of other grander nail biting scheme or are they really trying to prove to all the audiences that old madame is right all along n shiyi is dumb for being determined over a career? I really scratch my head. 

Why cant they play the script like houye is in danger n shiyi hold up the household n uses xianlingge (like maybe passing the message to emperor through the embroidery or something like that) to save xu n houye. Must they make her a damsel in distress again needing him to ssve her. Oh well will see how 43 to 45 is played out. 

Edited by SnT
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
9 minutes ago, NiteWalker said:

i think we have a pretty much easy life as a commoner instead and in the modern era where things werent so complicated at all

ikr...living in that era..u have to watch how you walk...talk...laugh. pretty much everything. 

Can anyone explain to me...why madam xu still angry (by seeing her expression and houye replied to her). This scene was after Ou lixing died. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, SheepMoon said:

I agree with @jujube. Would she have love houye as she does now if he didn't support her fully? If she was trapped in the backyard....how long would her love for houye sustain her? I think she would slowly start to lose a sense of self.

ShiYi love houye is the trust houye display in her from times to times...also houye does let her do what she want....

• Like 2
2 hours ago, SheepMoon said:

I agree with @jujube. Would she have love houye as she does now if he didn't support her fully? If she was trapped in the backyard....how long would her love for houye sustain her? I think she would slowly start to lose a sense of self.

So is it fine for ShiYi to keep her sense of self while HouYe and Xu family lost their heads, literally??? The stake here is no joke, this is about life of hundreds of people in Xu's household with the extension of Luo's household too. No one said that ShiYi has to be kept in the backyard toiling with housework 24/7. The point is ShiYi has to be wise in making her choice. She can continues her hobby but she shouldn't  neglected her family's safety.

Edited by OsmanthusTea
  • Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 1

I feel like the reason why Shiyi is adamant about it is because she knows that she has a supporter in Xu Lingyi. As you guys said, she was ready to give it up if the family didn't want her to continue her dealings with Xian Pavilion. However, Xu Lingyi told her that she can do what she likes as long as he's still around. I have a feeling that's where she got her bravery from.

Plus, I have a feeling she also feels indebted with the teacher because the teacher was kind of like her "saviour" when she was younger (she didn't have a happy childhood in that family, remember)? The teacher was also the one who asked her to help out with the store. And since she regards Xian Pavilion as her home, it made her feelings even stronger (thus the reason why she didn't want to let it go).  

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

I’m not caught up yet. But as a career woman I’m uncomfortable with the simple assumption that Shiyi must give up her passion/career for her family. 

It’s not really her shop is causing the issues. Forgive me but isn’t it the Ou family? Or all those people scheming? The embroidery is just a vehicle for plot.  

Of course people do make sacrifices for their family. But it’s annoying that it has to be the women. And the general assumption is it should be the woman. We should all be rooting for her to find a way to be able to support her family and keep her career. 

I’ve always had issues with Madam Xu. But we can’t pick his mother nor can we pick the mother-in-law. Poor Houye. 

Edited by Funnypeopleswim
  • Like 3
  • Clapping Hands 1