This drama's not bad. It's a bit like Taxi Driver - getting justice for the weak. The topic, suicide, is depressing and Eun Bi being bullied was hard to watch - I find that fast forwarding these bits doesn't detract from the main storyline.

But the revelation that Eun Bi would have gone to hell and be forever consigned to much of the same, as penalty for giving up life, is terrifying. She was a good person and yet would still continue to suffer after death? Woah.

There's also a touch of Leonard Dicapro's Inception, where the "world" cracks, turns upside down etc and they have to race to get out or be stuck, and Scrooge, where the bully is sent back to an experience that would change his mind.

Interesting.

• Like 3
  • Clapping Hands 1
1 hour ago, Chocolate said:

But the revelation that Eun Bi would have gone to hell and be forever consigned to much of the same, as penalty for giving up life, is terrifying. She was a good person and yet would still continue to suffer after death? Woah.

This is also a very Catholic concept in the past. It used to be a mortal sin to take one's own life and thwart God's will for you to live your life, and a direct violation of the commandant "You Shall Not Kill". So, a person who commits suicide couldn't get to heaven and couldn't be buried on consecrated ground.

The modern Catholics have come away from that position with their recognition of the role that mental illness can play, though they still consider it a grave sin if not a mortal sin.

I think the other Abrahamic religions, meaning Judaism and Islam, also forbid suicide as far as I understand it with consequences for the treatment of the body after death as well as to the families.

Switching topics, I was thinking that it's nice not to have a romance, paranormal or otherwise, in this drama. Just the difference in the concept of time would probably be mindbening.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 3
On 4/5/2022 at 3:24 PM, Chocolate said:

The topic, suicide, is depressing and Eun Bi being bullied was hard to watch - I find that fast forwarding these bits doesn't detract from the main storyline.

Hmm... I tagged you for The King of Pigs because it's actually pretty good show (so far). It's also about bullying (and revenge). The bullying there is even harder to watch, and the revenge was gruesome.

Yeah, agree with @stroppyse that in certain religion(s), suicide is considered sin. In Constantine (the movie by Keanu Reeves), it was mentioned that smoking is sinned too because it's considered as slow suicide (but I didn't verify this, lol). However, I notice all Gu Ryeon ever say to these people wishing to suicide was asking them if they thought they would feel better after dying. How would they know hell would await them? The reason these people wanted to end their lives is because they were all under the impression that they will stop suffering. She instead should tell them that's not the case... obviously before that she'd have to convince them she's a Grim Reaper 😅

Actually, after revealing in front of Eun Bi their identities, do they actually let her keep the memory or erase it? :pandathink:

There's also a touch of Leonard Dicapro's Inception, where the "world" cracks, turns upside down etc and they have to race to get out or be stuck, and Scrooge, where the bully is sent back to an experience that would change his mind.

I think there is a need for me to revise this movie now. I cannot remember much of this anymore. It seems like next episode they will travel back in time in a car (lol, Back to the Future?).

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Haha 4
5 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

Actually after revealing in front of Eun Bi their identities, do they actually let her keep the memory or erase it?

I would think that they would erase the memories? Though, given the state of the world, even if they didn't erase memories, no one would probably believe them. It's kind of amazing how difficult it can be to tell truth from hallucinations or lies.

It seems like next episode they will travel back in time in a car (lol, Back to the Future?).

Oh, I missed that. I'll have to watch the preview again. I thought that they were traveling through memories again rather than they were actually traveling through time.

Hmm... I tagged you for The King of Pigs because it's actually pretty good show (so far). It's also about bullying (and revenge). The bullying there is even harder to watch, and the revenge was gruesome.

Urk. Probably a good thing that I'm not watching King of Pigs.

• Like 4
17 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

I took a look at the thread. If I watch that, I would have to re-watch Secret Garden again - it's my medicine to cleanse off all the unpleasant stuff 😂. Nevertheless, I shall try!

• Haha 3

In episode 3, Joon Woong (Rowoon) becomes a member of the Crisis Management Team, and he and Deputy Lim get into a bit of a machismo contest. I'm actually kind of getting tired of JW's character and wish they would tighten up the writing for him. JW is played as a bit of a meathead actually, as well as being impetuous. For someone who has struggled the way he has and also done so much that he gained all those skills certificates that he has, I would have thought that he would be a more thoughtful person. For instance, he clearly did not bother reading the terms and conditions of his job, including whether he can be in proximity to his corporeal self.

The main plot point of the episode is the unhappiness felt by JW's best friend Jae Soo. In trying to bring him back from the brink of suicide, JW and GR go back into time to figure out the fried chicken that JS always craves so much, that he had eaten with his father. In their travel back to JS' past, JW discovers that his friend has had a much sadder and harder childhood then he had let on.

I find this drama engaging still, and I'm happy to go where it takes me, but I do hope that there will be some more advances in showing us GR and Deputy Lim's stories rather than dropping little teasers.

Also, I wish they would make better use of Lee Soo Hyuk, however, I'm probably being too impatient since it's only the 3rd episode.

• Like 3

I forget how hard these episodes are to get through. :letalQQ: I completely teared up when Jae Soo started running and the reason was because he thought Joon Woong woke up. Ryung Gu yelling at Joon Woong is soooo me. I read everything and it drives me crazy that my siblings and friends never do. :PikachuFacePalm:

Rowoon's expressions are so awesome. LOL!

TMW-11.gif

Spoiler

TMW-10.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Hehehehehe thank you @Tofu for giffing this scene ~ I ♥ this face of his :laugh:

TMW-10.gif

Do you guys think part of Jae Soo's break down was because he felt he's all alone now, with Joon Woong in coma...? Given how his life appears harder than he let Joon Woong know, and lonely, Joon Woong being his only friend may have impacted more than Joon Woong himself even knew (and now knows but couldn't tell him).

Regarding the chicken, I'm thinking it isn't really a particular chicken Jae Soo is craving — but more of the fact that it's the chicken his father bought. So no matter what brand/flavour the chicken is, it wouldn't be the same if it weren't from his father.

I thought the Grim Reapers aren't allowed to change the past? What Gu Ryeon did yesterday is an attempt to change it (maybe that's why in the preview it mentioned Gu Ryeon was punished).

Joon Woong is so garrulous even I'm annoyed sometimes, but I have to endure it for now knowing it's his character set-up, and thus it's expected he'd get in trouble or cause trouble for the Team in the beginning before he settles down and starts growing. I hope soon.

@Tofu I'm half guilty. I read employment and rental contracts but other things such as terms and conditions for car insurance, credit card or change of terms and conditions I don't read. 😅 Do you read those too?

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 1
1 hour ago, mademoiselle said:

Do you guys think part of Jae Soo's break down was because he felt he's all alone now, with Joon Woong in coma...? Given how his life appears harder than he let Joon Woong know, and lonely, Joon Woong being his only friend may have impacted more than Joon Woong himself even knew (and now knows but couldn't tell him).

I totally agree. JS does feel alone with his best, and possibly his only, friend in a coma and unsure if he'll ever recover. JS' life has been a lot harder than he's let on to anyone, including his bestie.

Regarding the chicken, I'm thinking it isn't really a particular chicken Jae Soo is craving — but more of the fact that it's the chicken his father bought. So no matter what brand/flavour the chicken is, it wouldn't be the same if it weren't from his father.

I started wondering if GR and JW had gone to the wrong memory? Since JS' parents acknowledge that JS likes fried chicken, he probably does. However, there was not a chicken in sight in the past that GR and JW had gone to.

Regardless, I agree that it's probably not any particular brand of fried chicken. It's probably the idea of eating fried chicken with his father who loves him so dearly that he longs for.

@Tofu I'm half guilty. I read employment and rental contracts but other things such as terms and conditions for car insurance, credit card or change of terms and conditions I don't read. 😅 Do you read those too?

I know that we sign a lot of "contracts" without reading most of it, but these were the conditions of his employment including the rules of behavior and engagement. I still think it's out of character for someone like JW who has studied so long to get a job, including taking numerous exams, to take being a grim reaper so lightly. If JW had just finished high school and was only starting to look for a job, etc., I could see why he was so thoughtless and heedless.

Since this drama is about JW's journey as much as the others, I'm assuming that we'll see substantial growth in JW as a person before this drama is over.

• Like 2

Is it possible that he never had fried chicken with his dad? I'm starting to wonder if the reason he is craving that fried chicken is because he never had it. Did Jae Soo's dad killed himself that night for the insurance money so they never got to eat together? 

@mademoiselle For car insurance, yes. I have to know what is covered and what isn't. Haha! For credit cards, I usually look at the main sections because all the other ones are similar. 

I think there was a poster before that says Joon Woong is impulsive and you can definitely see that. I hope he learns to think before he acts later on. 

• Like 3

The Swoon's E3 Scene Highlight

@stroppyse Why is Ryung Gu's name being poke fun of? From the English and Chinese explanation/subtitles of the meaning of his name, it was not funny at all.

On re-watch of this, since Ryung Gu explained the conduct of Grim Reapers to Joon Woong, it would have been also appropriate to warn him about him potentially dying if he gets close to his physical body. Rather than telling Joon Woong the most important thing is his identity as Choi Joon Woong no longer exist in the land of living, it's actually more important to let him know he will die if he gets close to himself (which makes no sense because remember in episode 1 he was standing beside himself, naked).

• Like 2
13 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

it's actually more important to let him know he will die if he gets close to himself (which makes no sense because remember in episode 1 he was standing beside himself, naked).

Internal consistency is not the best in terms of fantasy dramas. However, I thought that additional rules applied upon becoming a grim reaper that are different than just being a soul standing by one's body until it's led to the afterlife.

15 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

Why is Ryung Gu's name being poke fun of? From the English and Chinese explanation/subtitles of the meaning of his name, it was not funny at all.

I'm not entirely sure. It's probably a pun on his name though. His given name Ryung Gu is a bit unusual for a Korean name anyway, but I think it is similar to a word which means caring and welcoming. These are not qualities which a young man would necessarily like, and which doe not really describe Deputy Lim.

17 hours ago, Tofu said:

Is it possible that he never had fried chicken with his dad? I'm starting to wonder if the reason he is craving that fried chicken is because he never had it. Did Jae Soo's dad killed himself that night for the insurance money so they never got to eat together? 

So, the fried chicken is real! And, JW and GR made it. It now makes me wonder if they had always been part of JS' history or if they had changed history by their intervening. Just as GR questions that later, the Jade Empress' reaction to the "fried chicken" as the reason GH wants the time travel car makes me wonder if their actions had been pre-ordained already.

Anyway, I liked the way this plot point played out, even if there is some weird time looping stuff. For instance, the saying that JS' father had taught JS actually came from JW who had heard it from JS, etc. etc. And, even funnier that it was the memory of the chicken combined with the relief of his childhood anxiety in that moment that made that chicken taste good rather than that the chicken itself had actually tasted good.

I'm curious to know if the next storyline with the ex-ballerina and the singer-songwriter will also have a twist of some kind since so far we have seen some twists in the cases thus far.

We also got a little bit more between GR and JG, but I'm hoping for something a lot more than a hurt ego and a difference as to the proper duties of grim reapers.

• Like 3