It's Beautiful Now 현재는 아름다워 [2022]

Tofu

6 minutes ago, Min86 said:

Now, let's see how they handle being busted...I wonder if Yoon Jae will be mad at her.

Considering that they seem to be very passionate around each other ...they will get busted soon. OMG wait till YJ's mum finds out . That will be havoc. 

10 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

HJ: I have some things to tell you about my family. My father is an adoptee.

HJ Mother: Your daughter also needs to know that her father didn’t abandon her.

HJ: She dislikes me before she’s even met me?
MR: Our situation seems to be the same as before, but it feels as if my mother has become a little different.

Thanks @stroppyse:heart:

I have to ask this ..why is it such a big problem or something be ashamed of if you're adopted? It seems to be such an issue in kdramas. 

• Like 3

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

Thank you @stroppyse!!!

I wanted to ask you guys about yout thoughts on the ratings? 

In another forum I sometimes read, there's someone who pretty much is blaming the ratings on Shin Dong Mi, cause in their opinion, she looks too old for her partner and she has too much screen time. Tbh, it's clear that this person is very against the actress, but still I'd like to ask what your thoughts might be?

• Like 4

Translation of the flashback scene.

HJ: If there is anything you really want, you have to fight for it.

(flashback)
HJ: Hey! What is with the state of this room? Aren’t you going to study? You’re going to be a high school senior next year!
SJ: I’m just taking a break from studying.
HJ: What is this? You’re in second place!
SJ: Yes. I’ve been doing pretty well.
(HJ turns off the computer. LOL)
HJ: Hey, you should study just as earnestly.
SJ: What the heck are you doing?! Mom!!!
HJ: Why are you calling for Mom? If you act like this, we won’t be able to share the room.
Mother: Why are you being noisy again?
SJ: Mom, hyung is looking down on me because he’s a good student. Just because you passed your law school exam!
HJ: You little brat.
Mother: (to HJ) Just restrain yourself. It’s because he has his senior year coming up, so he’s a bit sensitive.
SJ: I can’t share a room with him! I’ll definitely fail if I share a room with him.
Mother: (to HJ) How about if you share a room with Yoon Jae? For Soon Jae to share a room with you, doesn’t it make him feel too burdened? And a lot of things are going to be irritants as well. Yoon Jae and you are both adults, so that would probably be better.
HJ: Mom, there is absolutely no way that I’m going to leave this room. If he says that he can’t share with me and wants to share with hyung (meaning YJ) then, I won’t stop him.

MR: So what happened?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
3 minutes ago, abs-oluteM said:

Considering that they seem to be very passionate around each other ...they will get busted soon. OMG wait till YJ's mum finds out . That will be havoc. 

I think the writer will know next ep! And as you wrote, they are too obvious...I don't think they'll last long in hiding :lmao2:

4 minutes ago, abs-oluteM said:

I have to ask this ..why is it such a big problem or something be ashamed of if you're adopted? It seems to be such an issue in kdramas.

right? I don't get it. But I'm sure we're going to be treated with a whole drama once MiRae's grandma finds out.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
Just now, Min86 said:

n another forum I sometimes read, there's someone who pretty much is blaming the ratings on Shin Dong Mi, cause in their opinion, she looks too old for her partner and she has too much screen time. Tbh, it's clear that this person is very against the actress, but still I'd like to ask what your thoughts might be?

I feel the ratings has nothing to do with her . That person is clearly being unfair. 
Usually for KBS weekend shows the ratings pick up later....and TBH the plot of this show is not super "makjang" like some of the others. I notice the crazy melodramatic ones tend to have ratings shoot through the roof. From what I speculate, the target audience for this show is for a younger crowd - which may not always be the usual folks watching. So that may have affected ratings. 

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

I feel the ratings has nothing to do with her . That person is clearly being unfair. 
Usually for KBS weekend shows the ratings pick up later....and TBH the plot of this show is not super "makjang" like some of the others. I notice the crazy melodramatic ones tend to have ratings shoot through the roof. From what I speculate, the target audience for this show is for a younger crowd - which may not always be the usual folks watching. So that may have affected ratings. 

I also think that the "down to earth" plot was more responsible and also the fact that the Covid restrictions are finally being lifted. Summer is also around the corner. Or at least that might be some part of it. In any case I think it's pretty unfair to put the blame on one person who tbh is not always the one with the most scenes. 

• Like 4

I think it's because of the importance that they place on bloodlines. Culturally, Koreans seem to be firmly on the nature side of the nature versus nurture debate. So, regardless of how you may have been raised, if the basic genetics aren't there, then there is only so far a person may develop, plus their inherent nature may be the determining force in terms of how they behave and/or become. However, it's also that they place a lot of emphasis on genetics, including things that in other cultures may not be thought of as necessarily being a genetic heritage.

As an orphan, there may be thought that if your parents died then they may have been ill-fated which may have been inherited by the child. If the orphan didn't know their parents, however, there is some presumption that the adoptee must have been from a poor family, otherwise why would the child have been abandoned. Unfortunately, being poor is thought of as a pretty severe negative as well. There is also the thought that perhaps there was something wrong with the child from the start which caused their family to abandon that child. Etc., etc., etc.

SK is changing their perceptions about this (as well as a lot of other social issues), however anything negative that may be associated with a person or their family (or lack of family) is seen as a negative against that person. In a culture where family is so meaningful, not having one's own birth family is definitely seen as a negative.

• Insightful 5
16 minutes ago, Min86 said:

I wanted to ask you guys about yout thoughts on the ratings? 

In another forum I sometimes read, there's someone who pretty much is blaming the ratings on Shin Dong Mi, cause in their opinion, she looks too old for her partner and she has too much screen time. Tbh, it's clear that this person is very against the actress, but still I'd like to ask what your thoughts might be?

Unfortunately, ratings seem to be higher the more makjang there is in the drama. This drama is only getting started, and I'm sure that there will be plenty of makjang elements that will be introduced in this drama.

Also, the writing difficulties may have gotten in the way. I think YSY's changing hairstyles is the biggest tell that the writing was changed multiple times.

As for Shin Dong Mi, I think she's an excellent actress and doing really well in the role. I also don't think she looks older than Oh Min Seok, though he does have a youthful face for his age. Anyway, YJ and HJun are the primary reason why I'm still watching this drama, and I don't think having a younger actress, especially if they are a relative newbie, would work nearly as well to counterpart OMS.

If anything, my problem is with the actress portraying MR. Even though I'm trying to blame the writing for most of why her character isn't that engaging, the actress seems pretty inexperienced and her inexperience is hindering her in portraying MR who could have been a more complex character but instead seems to be in turns an emotional basket case or a near-arrogant brat. I was curious enough to look at her filmography, and she is pretty much a new actress and this is her first leading role. So, I probably have to cut her some slack.

Based on the HJ-MR romance line alone, I would have dropped this drama despite my fondness for YSY. And, let's not even get into the SJ and YN plotline. All I can do about that is sigh a bit.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1
10 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

however anything negative that may be associated with a person or their family (or lack of family) is seen as a negative against that person. In a culture where family is so meaningful, not having one's own birth family is definitely seen as a negative

So, that's why MiRae's Dad kind of decided not to let his mother know about his wife being adopted? I mean, so far, the MiL sings praises bc of the family background. 

Which means, she'll be screaming from the rooftops once that comes out.

• Like 4

Just to finish off translating the scene where HJ is talking about his family to MR, continuing from the earlier scene I translated.

HJ: My younger brother ended up sharing a room with my older brother, and I had to keep hearing how selfish I was.
MR: If it had been me, I probably would have let him have the room. I like letting other people have things.
HJ: Ohhh… They have a way of telling me how selfish I am, but whenever something happens, they rely on me to fix it. I’m our family’s problem fixer.
MR: I like hearing about your family.
HJ: I don’t talk about my family to just anyone.
HJ: At first it was really unexpected. Even though you must have been having the hardest time, even then you were considerate of me. You’re unable to say things that people won’t want to hear and you’re able to laugh easily.  Actually, I’m that kind of a person as well. Even though my family don’t think so.
MR: I knew it from the beginning. That you’re that kind of person.
HJ: Really?
MR: Yes
HJ: So why do you back away when I go towards you?
MR: So that you would continue to keep coming towards me.
HJ: Okay, you keep backing up, but don’t show me your back.
MR: Yes.

Cute, so HJ tells MR that she can keep pulling back in order to get him to go even closer to her, but that she shouldn't turn away from him. Awww

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Star Struck 1
9 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

Unfortunately, ratings seem to be higher the more makjang there is in the drama. This drama is only getting started, and I'm sure that there will be plenty of makjang elements that will be introduced in this drama.

Also, the writing difficulties may have gotten in the way. I think YSY's changing hairstyles is the biggest tell that the writing was changed multiple times.

I also think the makjang will come and I will welcome it too. It does not seem like it will become the way this writer will go though. And I am glad for it. I can deal with some mess but not a hot disaster like the previous weekend drama :D

Lol, it seems that was criticized by all. Everyone took notice of that.

17 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

As for Shin Dong Mi, I think she's an excellent actress and doing really well in the role. I also don't think she looks older than Oh Min Seok, though he does have a youthful face for his age. Anyway, YJ and HJun are the primary reason why I'm still watching this drama, and I don't think having a younger actress, especially if they are a relative newbie, would work nearly as well to counterpart OMS.

I agree. I can't imagine an inexperienced actress playing with OMS. As it is, I find their balance great. And even though he has a youthful face, upclose he does look his age. And she looks better now with her hairstyle like that.

Tbh, I was thinking today how the actress playing Yoo Na have always had the same expressions. Her and MiRae sometimes are a little plain with their acting. 

And between YSY and BDB we can see that he's usually the one who delivers more.  

• Like 4
22 minutes ago, Min86 said:

So, that's why MiRae's Dad kind of decided not to let his mother know about his wife being adopted? I mean, so far, the MiL sings praises bc of the family background. 

Which means, she'll be screaming from the rooftops once that comes out.

With MR's family, it's even trickier. MR's mother's adopted father was a professor, and MR's paternal grandmother had specifically wanted to improve their bloodline by aligning it with a more "noble" line. In Korea, scholars have been held in high regard since they were also the advisors to kings, etc.

MR's paternal grandparents seem to have made their money as merchants, and thus not really of the upper class. Not that any of that matters in this day and age, but we are talking about a grandmother who still thinks about those things.

That's also why the grandmother keeps talking about how her DIL is so refined and well-mannered coming from a professorial bloodline since she thinks that she's praising her DIL amd her DIL's family both by doing so.

Ultimately, the grandmother should come around, but there are going to be plenty of fireworks when she realizes that instead of the professorial bloodline her DIL is actually an orphan who has no idea who her family is.

It makes me wonder about some of the relationships brewing though given how many potential family connections there may be between HJ and MR's families.

5 minutes ago, Min86 said:

Tbh, I was thinking today how the actress playing Yoo Na have always had the same expressions. Her and MiRae sometimes are a little plain with their acting. 

And between YSY and BDB we can see that he's usually the one who delivers more.  

YN is basically a pretty face who has been given very little to do. I think that's a good thing for the show actually since her newbie-ness can be seen in every shot. Though, the SJ-YN plot in general needs some work.

YSY is fantastic as always, but sometimes, it does feel weird because he's acting circles around his LL. YSY is actually known for being very considerate of his LL and trying to adapt to make the most of whatever chemistry there is. However, sometimes the scenes fall flat because it's HJ with a range and than we get a rather simplistic reaction from MR.

What I do enjoy are the HJ and HJun scenes and the HJ and YJ scenes. So far, those have been mostly comic, but it's believable that HJ and HJun have a good working relationship, and that HJ and YJ may fight but also rely on each other for support.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1
1 hour ago, Min86 said:

I must say, I was surprised. I was lowkey expecting a peck on the lips bc this is a weekend drama and these ppl are adults...usually, most kisses are between ppl who are younger. I am glad they gave us a very decent kiss tbh.

Now, let's see how they handle being busted...I wonder if Yoon Jae will be mad at her. 

Kiss was very nice. Now they have to deal with actually having a relationship. They are so going to get busted.

I doubt YJ will be mad at her, but I suspect that he will be giving both YJ and HJun lots of grief for seeing each other, because that is what a loving brother/colleague would do. :lmao2:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

@stroppyse thank you for doing all the translations that @abs-oluteM requested before. 

@Min86 Actress Shin Dong Mi is indeed older than Oh Min Seok, but like Hae Jun's character, she's just older by 2 years from him (yes I checked their birthdate few minutes ago). Actually I really like how Shin Dong Mi birthed Hae Jun's character to her style. I couldn't think other actress to play her role. She has fantastic chemistry with both Oh Min Seok and Yoon Shi Yoon, and I rather to have more of her screen time because Hae Jun is just that comedic and funny to me. The chemistry between the 3 actors felt natural to me.

About the other leading actresses.. Comparing them to Shin Dong Mi, they have fewer experiences based on their filmography and this drama probably their first experience as leading lady and might feel the pressure for doing it well. The actors that played Soo Jae and Jung Hoo are probably new in this type of drama. I'd like to reserve more of my opinions and I'd like to give them more chances since they both new to this type, but hopefully as the story goes they would become better. Like @stroppyse and probably others, Hae Jun and Yoon Jae couple is one of big factor that made me still stay in this drama.  

Well for ratings... I couldn't say much but I do feel the drama lack an important factor or maybe a focus that might affected its own rating. The premise about marriage project and getting an apartment as the prize is quite fun, but with how it got developed and done so far, I don't think it worked that well. On first few episodes the writer kinda introduce every possible plots for us in the beginning. The marriage project, the adoption problem and birth secrets almost at the same time. I think the writer want to address it one by one or maybe connecting one problem with another but sometimes I felt that it was done poorly and over the place. Given the right scripts and direction, the birth secrets and adoption makjang plot can be done and executed with tension and suspense because all the seasonal actors are actually great for that. But we'll have to see how they're going to do that in the upcoming episodes.. I'm not going to have big expectations so that I won't be that disappointed

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

Currently Watching List:

K-drama: The Real Has Come, See You in My 19th Life 

K-variety: 

44 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

Though, the SJ-YN plot in general needs some work.

Agreed!!! At the moment, I can't really ship them.

45 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

YSY is fantastic as always, but sometimes, it does feel weird because he's acting circles around his LL. YSY is actually known for being very considerate of his LL and trying to adapt to make the most of whatever chemistry there is. However, sometimes the scenes fall flat because it's HJ with a range and than we get a rather simplistic reaction from MR.

What I do enjoy are the HJ and HJun scenes and the HJ and YJ scenes. So far, those have been mostly comic, but it's believable that HJ and HJun have a good working relationship, and that HJ and YJ may fight but also rely on each other for support.

Yes, there's a huge difference between them. But, as you wrote his acting changes once we see him with SDM or OMS. There's again balance and I don't feel like most of the weight is on him alone. I enjoy their scenes very much.

19 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

Now they have to deal with actually having a relationship. They are so going to get busted.

They will be faced with that lie to the writer right away. Bc, apparently they can't keep their hands off each other :pandaevil: poor HJun will have to come clean to the writer about "misunderstanding" Yoon Jae! And will have to let him know about it lol!

48 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

Ultimately, the grandmother should come around, but there are going to be plenty of fireworks when she realizes that instead of the professorial bloodline her DIL is actually an orphan who has no idea who her family is.

It makes me wonder about some of the relationships brewing though given how many potential family connections there may be between HJ and MR's familie

I wonder what's going to come out first...that Soo Jung is adopted or the other thing that can happen is that Mirae's maternal grandma will get worse? Or die? 

In any case, that's going to put a huge strain on our main couple.

• Like 4
12 minutes ago, LaLa said:

On first few episodes the writer kinda introduce every possible plots for us in the beginning. The marriage project, the adoption problem and birth secrets almost at the same time. I think the writer want to address it one by one or maybe connecting one problem with another but sometimes I felt that it was done poorly and over the place. Given the right scripts and direction, the birth secrets and adoption makjang plot can be done and executed with tension and suspense because all the seasonal actors are actually great for that.

Excellent points. They introduced a lot of possible scenarios, but it wasn't particularly executed well.

Also, the marriage project which was nominally what this drama was advertised to be about fell flat. Only the youngest son truly cares about getting the apartment. YJ and HJ wouldn't mind getting it, but are mature enough to realize that you don't get married just for the apartment. Plus, they both actually have good careers already. They are in a far different place than SJ who hasn't done anything with his life yet, despite being his Mom's favorite.

Also, there really aren't that many plot twists per se. When they try to introduce one, like HJ's ex, it falls flat and is annoying rather than making us wonder what will happen next.

8 minutes ago, Min86 said:

But, as you wrote his acting changes once we see him with SDM or OMS. There's again balance and I don't feel like most of the weight is on him alone. I enjoy their scenes very much.

Totally! When the 3 of them are on the screen, in any combination, the scene flows really well, and I enjoy watching them.

9 minutes ago, Min86 said:

I wonder what's going to come out first...that Soo Jung is adopted or the other thing that can happen is that Mirae's maternal grandma will get worse? Or die? 

I keep thinking that the maternal grandmother will say something to someone, and it will come out that SJ is adopted.

• Like 4
3 hours ago, LaLa said:

Actress Shin Dong Mi is indeed older than Oh Min Seok, but like Hae Jun's character, she's just older by 2 years from him (yes I checked their birthdate few minutes ago). Actually I really like how Shin Dong Mi birthed Hae Jun's character to her style. I couldn't think other actress to play her role. She has fantastic chemistry with both Oh Min Seok and Yoon Shi Yoon, and I rather to have more of her screen time because Hae Jun is just that comedic and funny to me. The chemistry between the 3 actors felt natural to me.

Yes, she is older but I think they look good together. Some ppl really are hating on her for no reason imo. And she has done a fantastic job with her character. My fav in the drama tbh.

2 hours ago, stroppyse said:

Excellent points. They introduced a lot of possible scenarios, but it wasn't particularly executed well.

Agreed. I just hope that the couples start marrying before the last ep. I don't think the issues they have right now will be able to sustain the race for the duration of the drama. 

Totally! When the 3 of them are on the screen, in any combination, the scene flows really well, and I enjoy watching them.

I enjoy watching those three on screen as well. Today's scenes between Hyun Jae and HJun were top!

I keep thinking that the maternal grandmother will say something to someone, and it will come out that SJ is adopted.

I think she already called MiRae by her mom's real name and Mirae was left looking lost. Her unconsciously letting the cat out of the bag is a real posibility. 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Min86 said:

Yes, she is older but I think they look good together. Some ppl really are hating on her for no reason imo. And she has done a fantastic job with her character. My fav in the drama tbh.

Yes, my fave as well in this drama so far!

Also, it would have been really, really weird if Hae Jun is supposed to be this successful career woman and HJ's boss, and then she's played by some 20-something year old, or whatever their beef is. I think that there are just some haters who have to hate. I just hope that SDM realizes how many fans she's collecting with her depiction of Hae Jun. Even my mother was saying that she was the best casting for this drama.

1 hour ago, Min86 said:

Agreed. I just hope that the couples start marrying before the last ep. I don't think the issues they have right now will be able to sustain the race for the duration of the drama. 

Good point. I also agree that it's feeling a bit thin in terms of drama plots to fill a weekender. However, I think that they are going to focus more on the parents' and grandparents' stories as well.

My prediction is that I think YJ/HJun and HJ/MR will both get married, probably YJ/HJun first though possibly near episode 30, and that SJ/YN won't get married but will be dating still (or maybe again?) by the end of the drama. The last just because SJ and YN are so young and immature right now, that I don't see that they will actually get together without a time jump. However, SJ and YN are not the first leads, so I wouldn't have thought they would have created a time jump for them.

This is all just speculation though since I do expect them to change things up in order to improve their ratings.

• Like 3
12 hours ago, stroppyse said:

Also, it would have been really, really weird if Hae Jun is supposed to be this successful career woman and HJ's boss, and then she's played by some 20-something year old, or whatever their beef is. I think that there are just some haters who have to hate. I just hope that SDM realizes how many fans she's collecting with her depiction of Hae Jun. Even my mother was saying that she was the best casting for this drama.

I mean, I don't get this obsession with having ppl in their 40's played by 30 yrs old! I'm glad we're seeing ppl who look their age, going through a developing relationship. And we're even getting a decent kiss too. Usually weekend dramas have barely one or two kisses and that's between the MC. 

Let's hope SDM knows there are ppl who appreciate the work she's doing.

Good point. I also agree that it's feeling a bit thin in terms of drama plots to fill a weekender. However, I think that they are going to focus more on the parents' and grandparents' stories as well.

I think the grandad-lost daughter story and how that wll affect the family dynamic will need to become more important and the other thing would be if at the couples marry earlier and have to go through the adjusting to the more traditional family or a pregnancy or something like that. I can't imagine the apartment as prize will be all the focus bc even right now, that's like an afterthough to both older brothers.

My prediction is that I think YJ/HJun and HJ/MR will both get married, probably YJ/HJun first though possibly near episode 30, and that SJ/YN won't get married but will be dating still (or maybe again?) by the end of the drama

I also think that's possible. I can't see an easy path for MiRae and Hyun Jae once the connection between their families comes out and the youngest couple imo is not anywhere near ready to get married. Especially Soo Jae.

It'd be interesting to know if they're already working with new writers to 'spice' the drama up.

PS: I CANT WITH YOON JAE REALLY BEING NICKNAMED DOLT IN HIGH SCHOOL!!! :lmao2:

• Haha 2
4 hours ago, Min86 said:

A quick question: how can I add a couple of photos from my phone to this thread?

Unfortunately, if the pictures are on your phone rather than somewhere online, you are going to have to find a 3rd party site to host the image since JangHaven doesn't really have the space to host photos.

Some popular ones right now are imgbb and imgur, though imgur recently made some changes which I think may make it more difficult. Some sites will change rules on being able to 3rd party host which is why you sometimes see "image not available" errors on here and on other sites as well.

Looking forward to your photos!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 5/31/2022 at 2:50 AM, Tofu said:

Wait...did I miss something, are they getting a new writer for this drama? I saw a few of you referencing it. 

I don't think so ...just that it seems like they may have reshot some scenes given YSY's constant hairstyle change even when it is the same scene. LOL

Gosh...this has been such a hectic week RL that I haven't even had a chance to watch last weekend's episodes properly.

OST 5

• Like 2

On 5/30/2022 at 8:50 PM, Tofu said:

Wait...did I miss something, are they getting a new writer for this drama? I saw a few of you referencing it. 

3 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

I don't think so ...just that it seems like they may have reshot some scenes given YSY's constant hairstyle change even when it is the same scene. LOL

I think we were also speculating a bit bc the ratings have not been so high they might bring someone to try and make changes? 

3 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

Gosh...this has been such a hectic week RL that I haven't even had a chance to watch last weekend's episodes properly.

I also need to watch the episodes properly...so far I only skimmed thorugh them and mostly watched the HaeJun-Yoon Jae scenes and Hae Jun-Hyun Jae, HJ-MiRae ones. 

It seems though that the mother kind of told SJ to step back from his wedding plans. He was worried about losing the race but his mom told him to concentrate on YN  bc she would not be happy if he's only in for the apartment. Maybe  she will stop being so biased? 

Ah, it seems the actress who played Yoon Jae's blind date is now part of the support cast...maybe she will appear again? 

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1