Yummylicious: A Foodie's Oasis 🍣🍨

@Chocolate I'll be in Singapore for a few days at the beginning of September. I'm traveling with two other people and Singapore is our last stop. The two I'm traveling with were like "let's stay somewhere nice", so we ended up booking a room at The Fullerton. Hahaha! We will most likely not be eating out by the hotel because it is by Marina Bay Sands. :laugh:

I would love food, attractions, or just things I should do while I'm in Singapore. I'll also be going to Kuala Lumpur and Bali, so if you've been, feel free to send recommendations for there too. I haven't traveled internationally in almost 10 years! 

@mademoiselle I don't think I would ever order anything rare, but if someone ask me to try it out, I would. Haha! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
8 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

$5 my dad will likely say still expensive. He's always nagging about how the ol' times it only cost this this this much.

Some yes, some no. The tour is too fast pace for an ol' man with knee problem. Another issue was he got sick and was coughing in the nights, so didn't get good sleep. The tour I only remember he mentioned the botanical garden, Night Safari and aquarium.

Ok, I've never been to the night safari or the aquarium 😂 Hope it was still a decent trip for your dad. If food was the at ol' times levels, so would our salaries!

3 hours ago, Tofu said:

@Chocolate I'll be in Singapore for a few days at the beginning of September. I'm traveling with two other people and Singapore is our last stop. The two I'm traveling with were like "let's stay somewhere nice", so we ended up booking a room at The Fullerton. Hahaha! We will most likely not be eating out by the hotel because it is by Marina Bay Sands.

I would love food, attractions, or just things I should do while I'm in Singapore. I'll also be going to Kuala Lumpur and Bali, so if you've been, feel free to send recommendations for there too. I haven't traveled internationally in almost 10 years! 

Oooh Fullerton! Yes, it's nice to end with a good hotel. It's at the end of our Central Business District. A convenient area for sightseeing. You're staying where F1 races around, the hoardings for the race track may be up in early Sep.

Hahaha, but Marina Bay Sands (MBS) is really a nice area. You should go. As integrated resorts go, it is one of the best worldwide, very well organised and has all the shopping and food you want. I think every night, there is a light show (don't expect too much) at the promenade (people cycle and jog there, and you see the CBD skyline across the river). If you go up to the rooftop, it's a really good view too. You can walk from the hotel to Suntec area and across the helix bridge to reach MBS. Food wise, you could try Haidilao. This is hotpot and really popular in SG. There's always a long queue despite the numerous branches they have. The service is good and they provide complimentary appetisers and dessert. The branch at MBS has the nicest ambience. Depending on what you order, could cost about S$150-200 for 3 pax. Or you could try Ippudo, which is Japanese ramen - about S$20 per bowl. There's also a lot of Michelin star/high end dining there - just check out their website.

Opposite Fullerton, from the Merlion, walk down a little and there is Kinki. This is Jap + bar. Has good reviews and also a view of MBS. 

I'm not a sightseeing person and don't eat spicy food, so can't recommend Indian food etc 😂 Think a few must-dos are:

1. Gardens by the Bay

+ World's longest sculpture arrives at Gardens by the Bay to raise awareness of wildlife conservation

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/singapore/world-longest-sculpture-arrives-gardens-bay-raise-awareness-wildlife-conservation-3501256

and.... 🤣

Food:

Spoiler

Beach Road Prawn Noodles (they do morning/lunch crowd)

The soup is delicious, great combination with the fritters. A bowl of prawn noodles is less than S$10. I always see tourists come here to look at the murals at Haji Lane, just next to the shop but never understood why haha. After the meal, you can turn the corner and there is Arabica coffee. This area is a tourist attraction too I think - has turkish, middle eastern stuff.

https://sethlui.com/beach-road-prawn-noodle-house-singapore/

Newton Circus (opens at night)

I vouch for the Heng carrot cake and the fishball noodles. But you should try the seafood stall with the stingrays etc.

https://www.tatlerasia.com/dining/food/what-to-eat-at-newton-food-centre

https://danielfooddiary.com/2023/02/02/newtonfoodcentresg/

Jumbo Seafood at East Coast

This is right next to the sea. Go early about 6pm+ so that you can get a table outside with the sea breeze.

Great food.

Robertson Quay

Shunjuu Izakaya - yakitori

Natureland massage in the area too (this is a good chain, about S$70/hour for body massage, lesser for leg massage, however masseuse skill will depend on your luck)

Chinatown

https://www.misstamchiak.com/outram-park-fried-kway-teow-mee/

Chjimes

Lei Garden (Chinese, 1 michelin star, but prices are regular restaurant prices for dim sum etc., best to reserve)

Ma Maison Tonkatsu

If there are any other particular areas you will be going and want to know about food, just let me know.

KL I'm not familiar. Best to ask the Malaysians.

Bali - oooooooooh you must try the 4-hands massage!!!!! 2 therapists will massage you in sync. So both left and right are done at the same time. And the Balinese massage is just my favourite - it is soothing yet it touches the points but not painful like chinese tuina. You must try this. Seminyak is a central area to stay. I've tried W in Semniyak (but don't know why their pool is heated!), Ritz at Jimbaran and Banyan Tree at some corner far away from civilisation lol. Think you pick the area depending on what you want to do there. I usually just laze by the pool and go massage everyday haha.

Edited by Chocolate
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1
15 hours ago, Chocolate said:

Ok, I've never been to the night safari or the aquarium 😂 Hope it was still a decent trip for your dad. If food was the at ol' times levels, so would our salaries!

He'd say the money back then is bigger. Cost of living is lower. Hahaha!

19 hours ago, Tofu said:

@mademoiselle I don't think I would ever order anything rare, but if someone ask me to try it out, I would. Haha! 

You can try beef tataki as a start.

img53729.jpg

Do you eat raw fish????

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
On 5/22/2023 at 11:28 AM, Chocolate said:

You're staying where F1 races around, the hoardings for the race track may be up in early Sep.

Oh yay! I made sure I'm leaving before race weekend because if I wasn't, I definitely would not be staying at The Fullerton. LOL!

I love how you have more food recommendations than attractions, hahaha! I'm all about the food especially since I can't get many of those dishes here. We have a lot of fusion restaurants here and sometimes I'm like, I just want the real thing! Not all the fusion restaurants are good. 

On 5/22/2023 at 11:28 AM, Chocolate said:

oooooooooh you must try the 4-hands massage!!!!! 2 therapists will massage you in sync.

YESSSSSSSSS! We plan on just relaxing in Bali so I plan on getting many massages. I don't remember where we are staying because my friend was responsible for booking the stay there. I think we're staying by the beach because that's what they wanted. I didn't care where we stayed. 

13 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

You can try beef tataki as a start.

I will search to see where I can get this here. Otherwise, I might have more luck when I'm in Asia this summer. 

13 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

Do you eat raw fish????

Yes! I love raw seafood, although, raw oysters are not my favorite. It's too briny for me. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Party! 1

@Tofu

If you visit ION Orchard, which is one of our most successful malls, and want to try the food court, these 2 stalls are good. There are lots of other cafes and restaurants within this mall too.

Pz0c0Nn.jpg

Kam's Roast Express

This is an offshoot of Kam's Roast from HK, which has a michelin star. Their specialty is the Roast Goose. There's no goose in Singapore, so we have the Roast Duck instead haha. But the char siew and roast pork and noodles are good too.

Spoiler

ombKOVC.jpg

Lixin Fishball Noodles

This is a Singapore dish. If you take spicy, I am told the chili is good. Otherwise, may seem a bit bland.

Spoiler

2ee36Gt.jpg

GVJXPR7.jpg

Jtd1Vu8.jpg

Song Fa Bak Kut Teh

There are many branches all over Singapore. It's peppery pork rib soup with rice. Really good.

https://songfa.com.sg/

banner

Edited by Chocolate
  • Insightful 1
  • Haha 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

I think we are on par with the US. Or at least, I don't remember thinking it is more expensive or cheaper when I am in the US.

That said, things like orange juice imported from US would probably be more expensive in Singapore. But we also have chips/chocolates that are US branded but made in Asia, so those could be slightly cheaper (but also taste worse so we still buy US/UK/Europe made even if it costs more).

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1
  • 5 weeks later...

@Chocolate If only they showed this before you went! I knew that you can go to the fish market, buy the seafood and take them to the restaurants upstairs to cook them, but I didn't know you could do that for the beef too. They went to Majang market. Not sure where that is without some research, but something to bookmark and visit with friends and family next time.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/28/2023 at 8:35 PM, mademoiselle said:

@Chocolate If only they showed this before you went! I knew that you can go to the fish market, buy the seafood and take them to the restaurants upstairs to cook them, but I didn't know you could do that for the beef too. They went to Majang market. Not sure where that is without some research, but something to bookmark and visit with friends and family next time.

After seriously trying the Japanese Wagyu A5, I do think it is better than the Korean Hanwoo. And I haven't even tried the Kobe yet.

Ate a lot. Update later.

• Clapping Hands 1
  • 1 month later...
On 5/28/2023 at 7:47 PM, Chocolate said:

@Tofu

If you visit ION Orchard, which is one of our most successful malls, and want to try the food court, these 2 stalls are good. There are lots of other cafes and restaurants within this mall too.

Pz0c0Nn.jpg

Kam's Roast Express

This is an offshoot of Kam's Roast from HK, which has a michelin star. Their specialty is the Roast Goose. There's no goose in Singapore, so we have the Roast Duck instead haha. But the char siew and roast pork and noodles are good too.

Hide contents

ombKOVC.jpg

We're done with this bucket list @Chocolate 😆

• Clapping Hands 1
  • Party! 1

ezgif-com-gif-maker-47.gif

• 4 weeks later...