Yummylicious: A Foodie's Oasis 🍣🍨

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, Chocolate said:

I'm going Seoul in April! Going to try this dumpling shop.

Anything else to recommend? No kimchi, or gimbap etc. How about fried chicken, ginseng chicken, korean BBQ, cafes, restaurants?

First/last time I went I didn't do a good homework or came across fried chicken that I find good (not into fried stuff - and I randomly tried one but didn't like it). But after all the PPL in dramas, I think BBQ is a big name for fried chicken.

Korean BBQ I feel that any one of them would be good but you should definitely check out the Korean Englishman with the high schoolers in South Korea version to get some idea of what/where to go.

My personal recommendation is definitely Myeongdong Kyoja and Issac Toast. Obviously, now there's Eggdrops to try as well - and you have to report back on this because this didn't exist when I went!

Also try out the street food (?) at Namdaemun Market. Lots of stalls there. I was so stupid to have eaten already before I go so I couldn't fit anything in my tummy.

Who are you going with? Not alone I hope. South Korea caters their food for more people unlike Japan e.g. for Korean BBQ, they sell 2 serves, not 1.

• Insightful 1

Thanks @mademoiselle Will report back after - definitely trying all the egg stuff! Going with the same friend who I sometimes watch kdramas with haha.

I may also get a car for a day just to drive around the outskirts. My friend said there is some bridge that is always shown in the dramas where people commit suicide 😂? And I remember in Signal, at the last scene where they were driving to the hospital/home where the male detective was, it was a very nice scenic drive along the sea - do you know where these places are? And of course, I may pop by the area BinJin lives lol...

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Chocolate said:

Thanks @mademoiselle Will report back after - definitely trying all the egg stuff! Going with the same friend who I sometimes watch kdramas with haha.

I may also get a car for a day just to drive around the outskirts. My friend said there is some bridge that is always shown in the dramas where people commit suicide 😂? And I remember in Signal, at the last scene where they were driving to the hospital/home where the male detective was, it was a very nice scenic drive along the sea - do you know where these places are? And of course, I may pop by the area BinJin lives lol...

https://koreabyme.com/banpo-bridge-and-nearby-kdrama-filming-locations/

This?

• Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...

Re-posting video from @mademoiselle here:

1. Chin Mee Chin - I like the place, but the owner has changed. Have not tried the new one yet but should be similar. A bit out of the way for tourist. It is similar to Yakun and Killiney Kopitiam.

2. Tiong Bahru Shui Kueh - the best. But recently the receipe seems to have changed for the white kueh. Too dense now. But the topping is unbeatable.

3. Tiong Bahru Bau - I've not tried but my favourite bau is Tanjong Rhu Pau (original in Balestier, non-related branch at Ngee Ann City in Orchard)

4. Tiong Bahru Food Centre generally has good food - I havent tried the rest

5. Tiong Bahru Bakery - I think it is over-rated

6. Burnt Ends - it's Michelin Star. I havent tried but intend to.

7. Keng Eng Kee - this is zi char which is available island wide. I tried once but thought nothing special. They are very crowded though. Good to try you're in the area.

Edited by Chocolate
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Seoul Update

Tried the Egg Drop at Coex. It was good! Until the end where all the sauce is - maybe it's a korean thing, there is a sweet sauce, which I didn't really like. Would I eat it again? Yes, but I won't specially hunt for it.

UNfU8Tn.jpg

Spoiler

LglzvXi.jpg

n2ldhXI.jpg

Strangely, I never saw an Isaac Toast. But I think that probably also has the sweet sauce plus cabbage, so just as well.

There was an Egg Slut at Coex too. But it was quite empty. In Singapore it costs almost $20 for an egg sandwich. It's half the price in Seoul, probably because they have to compete with Egg Drop/Isaac Toast.

Spoiler

nbmFp9M.jpg

Edited by Chocolate
  • Tasty 1

Seoul Update

We managed to only try BHC chicken. Once at a small shop at Gangnam, a second time with delivery to the hotel. It was good! We ordered the original wing set - 20 pcs! For about $20 I think. They have a special with some cheese powder - but my friend doesn't like it so I will try that in SG. BHC has just opened in Singapore so I will be ordering this instead of KFC in future!

It comes with the sour radish thing which is damn good as appetiser.

wATSZO4.png

Spoiler

fNfKJvk.png

Y3qhCkm.png

Have to snip the photos because they all have my friend in them lol.

I only drove past a BBQ chicken in cab so never got to try that.

• Clapping Hands 1

Seoul Update

Born & Bred was a good experience. Thanks @mademoiselle for the recommendation. Cost a whopping $350/pax but was worth it. You get to try various cuts of the Hanwoo beef (I've lost tracked of the different parts (some parts I don't even usually take but wth) but favourite is the sirloin/striploin) and also a variety of soup, noodles, rice etc. I think it was 20 course. At the end, the chef said we could ask for more helpings of anything but everyone was so full already! It's a speakeasy - down in the basement with 8 pax per table. I think there were 2 rooms. They are quite popular - I was in Seoul for 8 nights and they could only fit us in on 1 night. Reservation is a must.

PRQjf55.jpg

rA3gMpS.jpg

Spoiler

Course in sequence

ofyKaJw.jpg?1

We didn't take raw so we didn't get the caviar

7XkWNak.jpg

and got this instead 😂 (can't remember what it is anymore)

SI4yr5p.jpg

WUKT3KJ.jpg

poOyiar.jpg

50SN57N.jpg

aX4lo98.jpg

HNDwbTm.jpg

p8QItaA.jpg

jzNLIml.jpg

8F1kJ4J.jpg

QfK0sCR.jpg

9bKaptV.jpg

This is minced abalone and beef I think. Quite nice.

Bd6d2WQ.jpg

67H1A1C.jpg

JfV63Ua.jpg

l9m962e.jpg?1

9x5fs0d.jpg?1

qNsAQrT.jpg

FyQUoK2.jpg

osvW8n7.jpg

And the bill!

023EoqK.jpg

Some food preparation photos

Spoiler

VprsbwP.jpg

G7ILKLn.jpg

X5ztKwF.jpg

ZtusGB2.jpg

7bniQXL.jpg

H4NOMU9.jpg

ad9JSHZ.jpg

Would I go back? Yes, if I felt like spending. The food was good and there was variety.

• Clapping Hands 1
  • Tasty 1

@Chocolate Oooh. Thanks for sharing! I was waiting, hahaha!

Issac Toast - Hmm pity. I was really hoping to get a comparison review against Eggdrop.

BHC - how many of you were there for the fried chicken? 20 pieces is a lot for two of you! I'm not fond of cheese powdered fried chicken too. Tried it at Nene Chicken and it didn't sit well with me in terms of flavour/taste.

Born & Bred - did you book it from Singapore or after arriving in Seoul? Glad you enjoy it. Will it feel too heavy (and too much) coz each course is almost all beef?

Erm... but... cavier is more expensive!

I think the last few pieces of beef on the grill is "harami" (in Japanese) = skirt beef steak

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Haha 1

Seoul Update

Myeongdong Kyoja - Sorry! We don't like this 😂 Prefer the SG/HK dumping. The korean one is very meaty and just average to us. Although the dumping skin is very thin and the plastic steam container is unique and hygienic (SG uses bamboo so don't know how well they wash those). We saw people eating the noodles, which looks very thick and starchy.

rmBNR54.jpg

Spoiler

There's actually 2 identical shops along the same street - we went to the one that had better reviews. But think they should be the same.

LEQD6F5.png

rPHrLwo.jpg

16 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

@Chocolate Oooh. Thanks for sharing! I was waiting, hahaha!

Issac Toast - Hmm pity. I was really hoping to get a comparison review against Eggdrop.

BHC - how many of you were there for the fried chicken? 20 pieces is a lot for two of you!

Born & Bred - did you book it from Singapore or after arriving in Seoul? Glad you enjoy it. Will it feel too heavy (and too much) coz each course is almost all beef?

Haha, I didn't have time earlier. Sorry for the delay.

BHC - yes, it's quite a lot. But it's actually 10 wings because they split the drumlet and the wing part. So it is manageable.

Born & Bred - I booked in SG but quite close to the date we left. I think most popular restaurants have to reserve in advance these days. You get small pieces of beef for each course (like 2 bites for each serving) so it doesn't feel heavy. At the beginning, you think wah so little. But before the burger, we were already very full. There was soup and some dishes had sauce so it didn't feel too beefy at all.

Edited by Chocolate
  • Like 1
11 minutes ago, Chocolate said:

Myeongdong Kyoja - Sorry! We don't like this 😂 Prefer the SG/HK dumping. The korean one is very meaty and just average to us. Although the dumping skin is very thin and the plastic steam container is unique and hygienic (SG uses bamboo so don't know how well they wash those). We saw people eating the noodles, which looks very thick and starchy.

Oh my. Hahahaha! You have to show me SG/HK style. Are you not a garlic chives person? I was raised in a family where we put lots of garlic chives so this was really close to what I like and the sesame oil they use is very fragranced. The dumplings sold here are also filled with just meat (very lil' veggies or chives) which I don't like. Myeongdong Kyoja had a lot when I was there - I hope it's still the same and they didn't cut down the chives portion! I brag about it to the family so it would sux if the portion/taste changed. 😅

My next trip need to have a travel buddy because I'm really curious of the soy bean noodle soup. But I want to have dumplings too (no matter how many times I go back).

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Haha 1

Seoul Update

Onion Cafe - we found this on instagram and it was near the Palace/Hanok area so we tried. Quite interesting.

4wmK2LN.jpg

The cone with icing is their speciality. It's like a sponge cake. The big bun in front is filled with cream cheese - this is good.

WGRWyjA.jpg

Spoiler

FflT2pg.jpg

p1it6dO.jpg

19 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

Erm... but... cavier is more expensive!

Yes, we are stupid. Next time, we will just eat what they serve haha.

3 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

Oh my. Hahahaha! You have to show me SG/HK style. Are you not a garlic chives person? I was raised in a family where we put lots of garlic chives so this was really close to what I like and the sesame oil they use is very fragranced. The dumplings sold here are also filled with just meat (very lil' veggies or chives) which I don't like. Myeongdong Kyoja had a lot when I had mine - I hope it's still the same and they didn't cut down the chives portion!

It's probably just us because the place is really crowded. And it's got a michelin star I think. In SG/HK, the dumplings have prawns, so maybe we prefer that. Din Tai Fung's xiaolongbao is also all meat, but it is a little bit of meat so.....

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Chocolate said:

It's probably just us because the place is really crowded. And it's got a michelin star I think. In SG/HK, the dumplings have prawns, so maybe we prefer that. Din Tai Fung's xiaolongbao is also all meat, but it is a little bit of meat so.....

Wait...what kind of dumplings are we talking about? In English, they are all dumplings. I'm specifically referring to jiao zi (餃子 or 水餃). Xiao Long Bao is not jiao zi but yes Din Tai Fung's is great.

Yeah it's a one Michelin star restaurant if I'm not mistaken. I only found out years later, so I was happy to run into a Michelin star there.

• Haha 1

Seoul Update

Osulloc Tea House (bukchon)

We were keen to buy the tea so we visited (it is cheaper than in SG). This is near the palace, apparently they have some of the green tea pastries that other branches may not have. There is a shop area and cafe.

b8Gz02B.png

weld9Y5.jpg?1

Spoiler

226l2Iw.jpg

More details here:

https://seoulshopper.com/blogs/cafe/osulloc-tea-house-bukchon

Edited by Chocolate
  • Like 1

Seoul Update

Maple Tree House (Itaewon) - Korean BBQ

We liked this place. The quality of the food is much better than Wangbijib (we tried the Myeongdong Chinese Embassy branch) and the price is similar. Tried both beef and pork.

hmTqZKu.jpg

jGmzL9N.jpg

Spoiler

4I4TiSB.jpg

K47wNYm.jpg

And the sides were good. They give you only 4 but it is 4 good ones that we eat.

MW0o9Ld.jpg

And this is the lane in Itaewon where the NY crush happened this year. So narrow.

Spoiler

s2G0hVM.jpg

20 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

Wait...what kind of dumplings are we talking about? In English, they are all dumplings. I'm specifically referring to jiao zi (餃子 or 水餃). Xiao Long Bao is not jiao zi but yes Din Tai Fung's is great.

SG/HK dumplings are like this:

Spoiler

20220724_115435a.jpeg

The shape of the Myeongdong Kyoja reminds me of the xiaolongbao haha. But yes, probably wrong to compare them. Or Japanese Gyoja? We like those too.

Spoiler

chicken-gyoza.jpg

That's it for Seoul. We ate some chinese, vietnamese, western stuff but nothing to shout about. Next trip, Tokyo! Any recommendations, please share.

Edited by Chocolate
  • Tasty 1

@Chocolate LOL, yes, not the same dumplings. Myeongdong Kyoja is 餃子 or 水餃. Kyoja = 餃子. Japanese Gyoja actually is different again. This one the filling is closer to China's except the shape which distinguish them from the typical shui jiao's look.

The SG/HK dumplings you just showed me is Wonton (餛飩 / 雲吞). So that's not shui jiao, and it's different because the skin is egg-based (square in shape) whereas shui jiao is just plain flour (round in shape). Aussie's version isn't great for steam/boiled because of costing they made the skin very thick and more meat than garlic chives (coz it is very expensive here). If I eat dumplings here, I tend to order pan-fried instead and preferred veggie or chicken & prawn version over the traditional pork with garlic chives - I just never found any that meets my expectation (except Myeongdong Kyoja - where the skin is thin so I'm not just eating flour/carbs and good proportion of meat vs garlic chives). LOL, can you tell I'm very fussy with the traditional pork with garlic chives shui jiao 😆 (blame my family for this, yeah).

20 minutes ago, Chocolate said:

Next trip, Tokyo!

Sigh, I wish I could help you but I didn't really go anywhere extravagant. I just randomly walk into a sushi place (or go back to the ones I've been) and ate.

That said, what are you looking for in particular? Coz you mentioned you don't eat raw, so I assume it is a no to raw fishes?

Ramen - unlikely to go wrong if you go for Ichiran (you can find it everywhere - the queue is long so probably be there early).

Tsukiji market (outer) - the place is jam-packed with a variety of street food so you can definitely check it out. If you do eat sushi & shashimi, check out Sushi Dai. Again, long queue.

Tempura - see if you can find a tempura restaurant too because the tempura there is just different overseas. They are way better and have more varieties.

Gyu Kaku - Meat BBQ place which you can find most people recommend on SNS. I wanted to go here (many branches too) but didn't get to because I had a big lunch that day.

Isomaru Suisan - Seafood BBQ.

7 Elevan - Try their egg sandwiches and frozen smoothies. I love the smoothies and the process of putting it in the machine and it blends it for you. 😆

Sushi Uogashi Nihon Ichi - it's a standing sushi bar. I had mine in Shibuya. It's a chain so available in many areas too. It's economical sushi I believe because I had 23 different nigiri and it only cost me ~SGD$50. You tell the chef what you want - they give you an English menu. But do note some fishes weren't on the menu (but might be on the wall) so it depends on what you could see from the counter.

Negishi - I kinda like this one that serves beef tongue. Not sure if it's your thing. You get to try their grated yam too which is interesting since it's not a norm for us to eat that.

In general, I love looking for set menu especially lunch time. Many big malls will have dedicated floors for just food so you can browse around there to look for one that catches your eyes. I feel like I always manage to find some yummy food through this way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
12 minutes ago, Chocolate said:

Thanks @mademoiselle. I think you and I cannot travel together because we eat such different things! Except egg and beef hahaha. Will check out the places you recommended.

Hahaha! Plus I have my beef steak rare and you don't. I remember our prior conversation. So no sea urchin either?—because I always have that raw. Haha! Tsukiji market sells the biggest raw oysters there. I don't recommend going for the biggest though coz it's too big. You can have their fame egg rolls then. xD

You can try out convenience store's food too. I had them sometimes when I can't have big meals / not too hungry. So many bento boxes to choose from it's quite cool.

How about Omurice? I keep seeing people posting about him on IG. He's apparently coming here in June to collaborate with a Japanese chef from Ishizuka for 3 days.

Do you not like ramen or tempura?

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Haha 1
  • Shocked 1
30 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

Hahaha! Plus I have my beef steak rare and you don't. I remember our prior conversation. So no sea urchin either?—because I always have that raw. Haha! Tsukiji market sells the biggest raw oysters there. I don't recommend going for the biggest though coz it's too big. You can have their fame egg rolls then. xD

You can try out convenience store's food too. I had them sometimes when I can't have big meals / not too hungry. So many bento boxes to choose from it's quite cool.

How about Omurice? I keep seeing people posting about him on IG. He's apparently coming here in June to collaborate with a Japanese chef from Ishizuka for 3 days.

Do you not like ramen or tempura?

Haha, yes definitely no sea urchin. I am looking forward to try the tamago at Tsukiji. This looks really good.

Icf3qS3.jpg

Omurice, I've only tried it once but so so only. Maybe the japanese one will be better.

Yes, love tempura and will definitely want to find yakiniku, yakitori, ramen, teppanyaki etc. My friend has been to Omoide Yokocho which is an alley with cheap yakitori - will be checking it out.

• Like 2

I'm semi-regretting my planned trip to Singapore every time @Chocolate says something is more expensive in Singapore. I should have planned a trip to South Korea instead. LOL!

@mademoiselle You like your steak rare?! You are probably the first person I know. I like mine medium rare. I don't think I can do rare, it's too bloody for me. :psweatduck:

• Haha 2
5 hours ago, Tofu said:

I'm semi-regretting my planned trip to Singapore every time @Chocolate says something is more expensive in Singapore. I should have planned a trip to South Korea instead. LOL!

@mademoiselle You like your steak rare?! You are probably the first person I know. I like mine medium rare. I don't think I can do rare, it's too bloody for me. :psweatduck:

My parents recently went to SG and Dad was complaining the food there is expensive, but then again, the tour took them to places near Marina Bay so that had to be more expensive, isn't it?

Bwahahaha, I used to take medium rare until I tried rare. But I only most eat rare eye fillet steak. Tried rare on scotch fillet once and the uncooked nerves or tendons were not great to eat. Rare is much more tender and juicy and stroppyse did say those are not blood! 😆

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Tofu said:

Hahahaha! I'm very happy to return to Singapore after each trip, but as a destination... When will you be here and which area will you be staying? What do you want to do? I can try to make some recommendations for food etc.

Most things are not much cheaper than overseas because it is imported. That's why we go overseas to buy 😂 But most locals cook or eat/takeaway from hawker centres daily and that's very affordable. Aside from SEA, where else can you get a very good plate of chicken rice for S$5?

6 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

My parents recently went to SG and Dad was complaining the food there is expensive, but then again, the tour took them to places near Marina Bay so that had to be more expensive, isn't it?

Oh yes, Marina Bay Sands is very expensive. The prices at the food court is 2 to 3X higher than other places.

Did he enjoy the trip? Where did the tour bring him?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

$5 my dad will likely say still expensive. He's always nagging about how the ol' times it only cost this this this much.

1 hour ago, Chocolate said:

Did he enjoy the trip? Where did the tour bring him?

Some yes, some no. The tour is too fast pace for an ol' man with knee problem. Another issue was he got sick and was coughing in the nights, so didn't get good sleep. The tour I only remember he mentioned the botanical garden, Night Safari and aquarium.

• Like 2