You're My Glory 你是我的荣耀 [2021]

I’m rewatching from episode one. My goodness. It’s amazing how watching a Chinese drama you enjoy a lot can improve your language skills by leaps and bounds. I actually find myself wanting to respond to certain things in Chibese now. The last time this happened was when I watched Huanzhugege (My Fair Princess) like a billion years ago, and after that my uncle actually commented, “Your Mandarin’s pretty good ah!” 😅 #motivation

Anyhoo… I’m just trying to see now indeed does he love her more than she thinks he does, since when and why. I agree with QJJ her original reason for not wanting to accept him. I love how tortured he was through it all. Hahaha… but was his going to the class reunion and kissing her another Slytherin tactic to get her to accept him since she couldn’t possibly deny involvement in public eye, ex-classmates notwithstanding?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Clapping Hands 2
  • Party! 1
3 hours ago, gilaswan said:

Hahaha… but was his going to the class reunion and kissing her another Slytherin tactic to get her to accept him since she couldn’t possibly deny involvement in public eye, ex-classmates notwithstanding?

I'm looking it as his desperation to make it as chance to show her how much she is meaning to him. He knew he already missed the chance, so it is kind of desperate move-he don't know anymore & he doesn't want to lose any chance, even it is the crazy one. 

Even I said before, I'm not a fan of that karaoke scene because dang it is so PDA, but also I'm liking the way he makes statement because his previous relationship (his ex) was (Xia Qing is the name??) & they still talked about is somehow behind (the ex-class).

And what I love is right before the moment, QJJ is realizing he prepared the gift & kind of soft for his own struggles. It is like she gave signal to finally make a chance for him. And tadaaa he did it quiteeee extreme. Lol 

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 2

G O O D  V I B E S  

♪ click me below for my cw, edits, about 

d r a m a s a f f a i r . c a r r d . c o 

I’m re-watching from ep 1, and wondering why he was so willing to stand up to the classroom chat rumours and clarify for QJJ if needed. I suppose he’s simply exactly that sort of straight talking engineer, almost too practical for his own good.

I would also have liked to know the backstory to what even brought him together with his first girlfriend, and what about her that made him think (as he had told QJJ back in HS) that she would be willing to strive for a common future together with him. She seemed materialistic and controlling. The scene of their breakup in fact showed no emotion on his part, as if there was no investment in the relationship whatsoever. And it happened while in uni, not even when he had started working and realised he had little time to invest in relationships in general. At least QJJ’s ex-bf, if nothing else, wanted her as a trophy wife, as awful as that idea is. There was some kind of interest to pursue the relationship, and JJ did admit that while they were together, she did honestly want to make it work too. 

So could it be that QJJ was indeed the first person that stirred his heart beyond his Vulcan 🖖 thinking? It seemed like before he knew it was her, she had already piqued his interest as Cotton when she begged him to teach her how to play the game better for her office tournament. Cos he seems, by character, the most unlikely to want to help anyone. Afterall, he did decline to teach her math back in HS. Why the sudden change of behaviour? Even Zhai Liang was surprised. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Heart Eyes 2
23 minutes ago, gilaswan said:

Cos he seems, by character, the most unlikely to want to help anyone. Afterall, he did decline to teach her math back in HS. Why the sudden change of behaviour? Even Zhai Liang was surprised. 

maybe just maybe just....so....

he was at his low and at a crossroad....somehow when QJJ was begging / ask him to teach her....he was like why do you believe i can i do it...

she said she 'trust' him because they are classmates after all.....maybe it the word 'trust' that brought him to teach QJJ?

• Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 2

I love your minds about the story here @gilaswan 😍

39 minutes ago, gilaswan said:

I would also have liked to know the backstory to what even brought him together with his first girlfriend, and what about her that made him think (as he had told QJJ back in HS) that she would be willing to strive for a common future together with him.

true true, this is interesting to know the behind. Why he did think XQ one that would be willing to strive? And the cold break up, I guess it just disappointment from his expectation.

39 minutes ago, gilaswan said:

So could it be that QJJ was indeed the first person that stirred his heart beyond his Vulcan 🖖 thinking? It seemed like before he knew it was her, she had already piqued his interest as Cotton when she begged him to teach her how to play the game better for her office tournament. Cos he seems, by character, the most unlikely to want to help anyone. Afterall, he did decline to teach her math back in HS. Why the sudden change of behaviour? Even Zhai Liang was surprised. 

ah and THIS.. This is also my BIG question of how the game teaching becomes bridge between them. Like, why? Why he agreed to teach her? 

But the sudden change, I think it also because the crossroad like @NiteWalker says. It is the moment for him. In that stress point, don't you seek a way to release? Like, of course you think about it a lot & too much, but it can't be 24 hours stress, you need something fresh that far from close relations of the problem, and because he loves to play the game (it is like his reality escape or simply entertainment for him), I feel he is kind of why not I'm not losing anything by doing that(?)

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

G O O D  V I B E S  

Has anyone read this blog: https://cyn-lynn.blogspot.com/2021/07/you-are-my-glory-recap-and-review.html ?

I'm reminded now - 520 means "I love you" in Chinese net slang. A Chinese friend once tried to convince me that it sounds like "I love you" in Mandarin, but for the life of me, I couldn't (and still don't) hear it. wǔ èr líng (520) vs wǒ ài nǐ (ILY) - how on earth does it even sound the same?!?! I can hear how 1314 sounds like "in life and death" (i.e. forever, till death do us part), but 520=ILY? I asked my friend again and she too was momentarily stumped, but hey, it's already probably hardwired into the Chinese mind that it's a homophone of each other. Beats me. But that explains why YT sent 520RMB to QJJ even though AI Jing Jing only asked for a 68RMB top-up. He must miss her that much. 

I like how this blog recaps everything in short spurts, but in a much more accurate English translation compared to the translated chapters of Gu Man's original text. There are many translations that are passable but does not quite bring out the most accurate emotions or contemporary use of the language. I feel this blogger understands the context and emotions of the words in both source (Mandarin) and target (English) languages. 

@bairamaI'm digging his bespectacled look. Very befitting an engineer. Speaking of which - anyone noticed his pilot wings on his work jacket? The navy blue one. So Top Gun-ish. Has YY done a uniformed role before?

3 hours ago, movingwheel said:

okay they look like really explosive @NiteWalker @bairama

my mind is already suffering from withdrawal thinking that this will come to an end next week...

As in ep 25 hot and steamy explosive? Yes. For sure both actors carried that scene very well. Enough tension without it becoming raunchy, and the modulation of voices between banter and suggestive talk oscillated between sweet and passionate. In most other (k)dramas, such scenes are either very sweet or very racy. But for this drama, somehow you can feel the love between the characters. Not sure if it's the camera angles, the lighting, the way the characters carry the lines, but between light playful banter and low, raspy, suggestive lines, YY and DLRB are almost making me fall in love with their falling in love!

Withdrawals? I think I'll have them too since I only started watching this last week only to find out it ends this week! Do a re-watch with me. Hahaha... I'm back only up to ep. 3 and trying to see if by and large YT keeps with his engineering personality. He's such a devoted boyfriend and I believe eventually a devoted husband. How does that juxtapose against his cut-and-dry overthinking engineering nature? I love how some of you describe him as Slytherin. I think he has some qualities of a Slytherin. But perhaps more Gryffindor than Slytherin...? He's definitely got the smarts, but is also kind. QJJ is certainly a Ravenclaw. 

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

Anyone saw this blog?

https://cyn-lynn.blogspot.com/2021/07/you-are-my-glory-recap-and-review.html

Now I know why he sent her 520RMB instead of the 68RMB. It's slang for "I love you" in Chinese. I remember now, a friend from China once tried to convince me it's (apparently) cos it sounds like I-L-Y in Mandarin but for the life of me, I do not hear it. The others, I hear, like 1314 - in life and death, i.e. forever. But wu-er-ling (520) and wo-ai-ni (ILY)??? Clearly there's a reason why that explanation never stuck in my head -- I didn't and still don't get it. 

• Like 4
46 minutes ago, gilaswan said:

I like how this blog recaps everything in short spurts, but in a much more accurate English translation compared to the translated chapters of Gu Man's original text. There are many translations that are passable but does not quite bring out the most accurate emotions or contemporary use of the language. I feel this blogger understands the context and emotions of the words in both source (Mandarin) and target (English) languages. 

o o ooooo.. Nice to know about this blog!

Have no idea about that thing but is it @NiteWalker mentioned this here?? The 520RMB hahaha

46 minutes ago, gilaswan said:

@bairamaI'm digging his bespectacled look. Very befitting an engineer. Speaking of which - anyone noticed his pilot wings on his work jacket? The navy blue one. So Top Gun-ish. Has YY done a uniformed role before?

YAMG-Yang-Yang-640x360.jpg

this :wow:

I kinda know a bit he will do for China Special Forces drama or something. And he did Vanguard movie in 2020 (I'm kinda preparing watchlist to try for withdrawal. LOL)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

G O O D  V I B E S  

1 hour ago, gilaswan said:

As in ep 25 hot and steamy explosive? Yes. For sure both actors carried that scene very well. Enough tension without it becoming raunchy, and the modulation of voices between banter and suggestive talk oscillated between sweet and passionate. In most other (k)dramas, such scenes are either very sweet or very racy. But for this drama, somehow you can feel the love between the characters. Not sure if it's the camera angles, the lighting, the way the characters carry the lines, but between light playful banter and low, raspy, suggestive lines, YY and DLRB are almost making me fall in love with their falling in love!

Withdrawals? I think I'll have them too since I only started watching this last week only to find out it ends this week! Do a re-watch with me. Hahaha... I'm back only up to ep. 3 and trying to see if by and large YT keeps with his engineering personality. He's such a devoted boyfriend and I believe eventually a devoted husband. How does that juxtapose against his cut-and-dry overthinking engineering nature? I love how some of you describe him as Slytherin. I think he has some qualities of a Slytherin. But perhaps more Gryffindor than Slytherin...? He's definitely got the smarts, but is also kind. QJJ is certainly a Ravenclaw. 

continuing this lol,

I bold the sentence one is so true, have the same feeling. In oppa tracker thread, we also talkin' about this. I posted up the gif of that scene. Since on that thread is not YAMG watcher only, some may said it is cringe to read the dialogue. But surprisingly to me it is not. Because the flow, or how they act of it, Idk. But mainly is the flow & pace of the drama. There is something subtle about this drama that makes me just like dip in to their world & just so happy to see them finally has moments together and all out about it.

As YT is such devoted bf & we believe he will be devoted husband too (LOL to think about this he is oozing that since the game tournament, we came a long way. They are both so proud of each other). And yes! He has a mix of Gryffindor-Slytherin! How he defends her name when he talked with XQ, etc. He is kind and stay to the truth. Slytherin.. Just the way he becomes sly & smooth to get her attention (hahaha).

• Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

G O O D  V I B E S  

@bairamaI think more than the kdrama male leads, YT is really out of this world (geddit, geddit? Aerospace engineer out of this world? Hahaha).

But seriously, can you really get a guy who's so devoted, and such a smooth talker, but also such a nerd? My goodness. He is such a nerd. Which is why I thought it was so funny that when she said to him that she wasn't sure of accepting him because it felt like she liked him more than he did her, his thought pattern was, tell me how you calculated this so I can make up for it. Good grief, boy! She's talking about the qualitative aspect of it and you ask her for a formula?!? No wonder she said he was bullying her (and later she says he's hard to bully back). It's such an eye roll worthy sentence but for some reason, also so innocently romantic cos for the life of him, the engineer brain doesn't know how else to make up for his stupidity. Indeed his IQ dipped into the negative cos he must have been feeling so helpless then and when she said he was bullying her with a request for a formula (which I believe was said out of absolute sincerity and innocence). I think he wanted to kick himself and probably felt he was sinking even lower into the negative at that point. I felt so sorry for him but at the same time it was so good to watch him squirm and panic for the next 24 hours until the reunion karaoke. 

And all this engineering stupidity juxtaposed against that raspy voice dripping with desire - no wonder she says to him she never thought he could be such a rascal (which I feel is a better translation than "hooligan" because there was that element of mischief in his words when he asked for her to give him a "new map" as compensation). 

I'd rather translate that exchange as:

YT:  ...for example, providing me a new map (for exploration) ~ahem, how suggestive is that?

JJ: You really can't judge a book by its cover. Never thought you could be such a rascal (or rogue)

YT: What are you thinking of? ~trying to be, but oh so not innocent~ I was referring to (the map of) my bedroom ~remember how when she first came to his home he was showing her the lay of the land?

JJ: Does that make you a gentleman now?
YT: Not at all (then draws her into another series of kisses and whispers), is that alright with you? You've been away for too long (then sweeps her up into a princess carry and whispers more) I can't wait any longer...

Edited by gilaswan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Heart Eyes 1
12 minutes ago, gilaswan said:

But seriously, can you really get a guy who's so devoted, and such a smooth talker, but also such a nerd? My goodness.

:laugh::laugh: this could be a description why I fell for YT. AND HE IS SO HANDSOME literally good looking. Make that point out of this world. LOL

12 minutes ago, gilaswan said:

And all this engineering stupidity juxtaposed against that raspy voice dripping with desire - no wonder she says to him she never thought he could be such a rascal (which I feel is a better translation than "hooligan" because there was that element of mischief in his words when he asked for her to give him a "new map" as compensation). 

I'd rather translate that exchange as:

YT:  ...for example, providing me a new map (for exploration) ~ahem, how suggestive is that?

JJ: You really can't judge a book by its cover. Never thought you could be such a rascal (or rogue)

YT: What are you thinking of? ~trying to be, but oh so not innocent~ I was referring to (the map of) my bedroom ~remember how when she first came to his home he was showing her the lay of the land?

JJ: Does that make you a gentleman now?
YT: Not at all (then draws her into another series of kisses and whispers), is that alright with you? You've been away for too long (then sweeps her up into a princess carry and whispers more) I can't wait any longer...

funny I got that point from the atmosphere of the scene since I watch it instead the translation. I felt the translation is somewhat miss but I can't find other words due to my limited vocab. Thank you for pointing this out in writing! Hahaha

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

G O O D  V I B E S  

@bairama

Actually, I think he only acted on this because he learnt from the morning voice call JJ had with her manager/agent that she was trying to achieve "inner tranquility" unsuccessfully the night before by reading the interview prep notes. If he had known the night before that she was (ahem) desiring him as well when she came out of the room, he would not have slept in the guest room for sure. Hahaha...

• Haha 3