True Beauty 여신강림 [2020-2021]

I cried quite a bit with JK this episode, especially the part with her mom. One of my favorite episodes so far because it shows how JK is finding her true self and accepting her appearance. I especially love the end when she went to school bare face and when she gave it to the bully girls. Fist pump!! And of course the sweetest part was when SH kissed her and hugged her. But hello, what’s with the preview?? 🤦🏻‍♀️ Can we do without the angsty separation? There’s still plenty materials to touch on. 

• Haha 2

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

Episode 13

Man, I cried soooo much for this episode! Feeling sorry for/sad along with Joo Kyung. Feeling a mother's heartbreak when she finds out her daughter was bullied and her blaming herself for her neglect. But it's a good kind of crying so I don't mind.

The show is trying to kill me by making me cry-laugh-cry-laugh-cryyy again LOL. The last moment I was just bawling my eyes out for Joo Kyung and it had to cut to Teacher being a drama queen overthinking Joo Kyung skipping class is all because of him. ROFL.

I love the positive message the drama is trying to convey via Joo Kyung for all the kids out there right now who would relate to her. I wish this would give the kids courage, and support them to be brave as well.

I feel sorry for Suho this episode in the sense that he was running around and begging Joo Kyung to answer his phone. I'm so proud that he persisted and is continuously supporting her. However, WHAT THE HELL IS THAT NEXT PREVIEW?! Aishhhh!

Three more episodes left, I read that EY's Oh Nam Joo will cameo soon. And the only one left now is Haru (Rowoon). Ottokaeeee I don't want him to be the only one that's left out! T^T

@ktcjdrama I know right! What's with the ending preview! Can everyone stop asking for a breakup!? Everyone seems to be breaking up in the drama-verse (TB, Run On, Sunbae). LOL.

---

New stills - is that scarf knitted by Suho?

EsytfBCUwAA_5dS?format=jpg&name=4096x409EsytfBEUcAE0gsK?format=jpg&name=4096x409

• Heart Eyes 2

With the stills you shared @mademoiselle I think we can look forward to happy ending. 
Not sure, what was the color of yarn he was working on? It would be so sweet if it really is a scarf he knitted himself. 

Haha, I thought I am the only one crying for this episode. I am glad too that some of her classmates are welcoming her back. Love the home room teacher for giving his class a lecture on caring for fellow student. 

• Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

Episode 14

I like both of this week's episodes. It's like a 180° difference to that camping episode. The highlight (best) scenes of this episode had to be the Teacher and Hee Kyung's scenes. It's hilarious! Hee Kyung's reaction to his "cuteness" is making me smiling from ear to ear. Hee Kyung had to be my fave character this actress had played and she rarely gets such lovable characters.

I also love the parallel fight scenes of Suho et al. playing Tekken and Joo Kyung vs the bully. Seeing Joo Kyung mimicking Lili's moves is so awesome. That was fun for me because I used to play Tekken.

This episode has so many lovey-dovey scenes of Suho and Joo Kyung, I'm getting toothaches, LOL. Suho being clingy yet trying hard not to show it is cute. Now that Joo Kyung got over her insecurity, seems like it's Suho's turn although I love him for trusting in Joo Kyung and let her go see Seo Joon. I feel sorry for Seo Joon but it's hard to be mad of Joo Kyung's cluelessness coz it's too cute... hahaha

4dd5ba14973451b3ed1eb95e14db2379a2e1e7249add5e159ed4de858063a1315ea0bb867baaea69  source: chanikang

Absolutely loved Seo Joon's resignation here, hahaha.

The scenes of them going on a trip together were so beautiful and because the actors are visually beautiful so they made everything look extra beautiful. Even the seafood looks yummy~ gosh I wish I could be there to taste it myself.

As for Soo Jin, I've no pity for her. But I think she must have gotten hit again because in the last scene at school, her lips had scar but no such scene was shown...? Edited out?

Seo Joon continued to be a sweetheart. I now know why Show kept Seo Joon's one-sided love going on for so long. It's so that it could tie back in with the webtoon (somewhat) where my friend said Suho went to the US and Joo Kyung actually dated Seo Joon after that but broke up and then Suho returns. Totally did not expect there will be a 2 years time jump so now the preview is stringing us along making us think Joo Kyung and Seo Joon are an item, which I'm 100% sure they are not and Seo Joon is just being a good friend and protecting Joo Kyung.

Admiration of the True Beauty time:

880dbc02cfc33a238b3f5c80dd88e201f6fb24b4

Spoiler

556de34398a0a917d19d1e86b9ba6e9d86a4fa3c

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 1
1 minute ago, ktcjdrama said:

Was the episode okay? @mademoiselle coz I read some unpleasant developments. I thought of binging all 3 episodes next week instead. Or just let the drama finished at the end of ep.13

This episode is OK for me. Lots of lovey dovey and cute scenes.

What did you read? I'm guessing it's the triangle love bit... but I'm 100% sure Suho x Joo Kyung is the end game.

• Like 1

Awesome Hee Kyung & Joon Woo

Es5TOkvUwAUrFTk?format=jpg&name=large

Spoiler

Es5TOk0VEAUbnE3?format=jpg&name=large

[News] Hwang In Yeob Confirmed To Sing For OST Of “True Beauty”

82beb4969597431689483d2d9d18b42b.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Hwang In Yeob is officially lending his voice for “True Beauty”!

The romantic comedy is about Lim Ju Gyeong (Moon Ga Young), who zealously uses makeup to hide her bare face and combat her insecurities about her looks. After she meets Lee Su Ho (ASTRO‘s Cha Eun Woo), a popular student who has his own emotional wounds, they share each other’s secrets and learn to heal through love.

On January 29, it was reported that Hwang In Yeob will be participating in the drama’s official soundtrack.

A source from the drama confirmed, “Hwang In Yeob participated in singing for the OST. The song will be released on February 5.”

In “True Beauty,” Hwang In Yeob plays Han Seo Jun, an attractive student with a stern face and cold attitude, but he also looks after his sick mom and cherishes his little sister like none other. He also has a crush on Lim Ju Gyeong and shows it with his sweet actions towards her.

This will be Hwang In Yeob’s first time singing for an OST. His gentle voice has already caught the attention of viewers as he sang songs like Alex’s “Flower Pot” and Maktub’s “To You My Light” throughout the drama.

Source (1) (2) via soompi

• Like 1
  • Party! 1
1 hour ago, mademoiselle said:

This episode is OK for me. Lots of lovey dovey and cute scenes.

What did you read? I'm guessing it's the triangle love bit... but I'm 100% sure Suho x Joo Kyung is the end game.

Time jump, separation aka noble idiocy, stuff like that. 
I also think it will be SH JK, but anyway not in a hurry to finish it. I can wait. 

• Like 1

MTDzeiV.gif

On 1/26/2021 at 2:25 AM, Mouse said:

I am enjoying this drama so much more than I thought I would. I love all the characters and man, it's so funny! I laughed so hard at almost every episode. The following scenes had me laughing so hard that my kids actually looked at me funny:

• Seo Joon dancing in his underwear (the "Okey Dokey" scene) - the look on his face when he turns around and realizes Joo Kyung is in his living room and the mortification that follows. And can I just say how adorable Joo Kyung looks when she does the "roar"?!

Glad you've caught up on this drama! I also didn't think I'd like the drama this much, but it has grown on me a lot more than I thought. Ahhh, Okey Dokey has become so iconic now :laugh: 

I really love the rawr thing too. MGY is so damn cute every time she makes the rawr sound! :BulbaOWO:

On 1/26/2021 at 2:25 AM, Mouse said:

One might say that Seo Joon only liked her bec she looked pretty but I think this drama is doing a good job in showing that he still likes her despite finding out what she really looks like. So you could say that both Sun Ho and Seo Joon really like her for who she is.

Realistically, I think SJ has a sister and know what girls can look like with or without make-up. Also in both the drama and webtoon, I think it's shown that he also likes her weird personality rather than her looks. She's not fawning over him like other girls....but rather always challenging him, bantering with him or caring about him...And I think that grows on him rather than her looks :BulbaOWO:

On 1/26/2021 at 12:24 PM, mademoiselle said:

He does appear happy and chill most of the time but I've come across a selfcam video of him talking to fans and breaking down in tears due to the pressure he received as the Face of Astro and what he expects of himself.

That's true - I think happy and chill is a CEW mask to some degree as it must be very hard to be an idol in many ways. Everything is so damn extreme. It's extreme in terms of training and becoming the 'best of the best' and it's also extreme that your every move is obsessively adored and scrutinised by fans...who are also the first to turn on you when you make a mistake or reveal a side of you they don't like :letalQQ: I feel like it'd be huge pressure.

On 1/26/2021 at 12:24 PM, mademoiselle said:

Bahahaha... I feel the need to ask you to define "bad" in case it has multiple meanings like "perfect". I feel like I've encountered many bad ones in my 10 years of kdrama viewing. Like Choi Young Do (Kim Woo Bin) in Heirs or the current Sunbae, Don't Put On That Lipstick for instance, and don't kill me, but even Baek Kyung was considered "bad" up until the Dan Oh lost her self-conscious again. As for Kim Dong Jun's character in MTF, he was not bad or turn evil like Soo Jin - he was just... too persistant and refused to let go when the FL rejected him few times. So that made his originally likable character became unlikeable.

Hahaha yes that's true..."Bad" is as broad as "perfect" :lenny:

What I meant is that I rarely come across a male second lead who is considered scheming and malicious when they're in a love triangle...as in their intentions become evil once they're rejected by the female. Most second lead males just end up bowing out the love triangle and "protecting the girl" silently (like SJ). But often female second leads turn "crazy" and sabotage the main couple's relationships rather than graciously bow out of the love competition (like Soo Jin) :ChikoWTF: The only one really savage male second lead that comes to mind is the guy who blackmailed the main male and female lead in Delightful Girl Chun Hyung because he wouldn't take no for an answer.

While being clingy is annoying, I guess it's not intentionally being nasty and sabotaging? So I guess I wouldn't count More than Friends second lead. :idk:

Haha, Baek Kyung is horrible at the start of EY. And it's not because it's LJW, but he's falls outside of my "bad" definition :lol: His character, while mean to DO until consciousness, doesn't actually spend every waking moment actively sabotaging the relationship between DO and HR even though he's tempted to. The drama portrays him as frustrated and angry, but not scheming...whereas second female leads often come across as scheming if they're angry the way that Soo Jin's character is in True Beauty? Baek Kyung also does end up bowing out from the love competition from his own choice...whereas I feel like a lot of second lead females don't give up their scheming ways until they're publicly humiliated. :thinking:

But it might just be the dramas I've chosen to watch over my decade of drama watching - I'm picky and don't always watch everything. I haven't seen Heirs or Sunbae Don't Put on that Lipstick....Maybe most of the love triangles I've seen involve more of a 2 females, 1 male situation...but my main point is that I think it's unfair that it's rarer to have a second female lead looking gracious once they've been rejected - why do they have to scheme so often? :pandarage2: If a lot of second lead males get to be likeable, it'd be nice if they could subvert this trope for second female leads in love triangles more often :SquirtleSquadCool:

• Like 3

Currently watching: Doctor Slump // Queen of Tears // The Impossible Heir

Current Obsessions: ❤ Lee Jae wook // Park Hyung Sik // Yoon Park

Podcast: These Dramatic Days

@Tofu Hahaha why don't you watch True Beauty too. Hwang In Seop is lovable here (more than 18 Again) and he has more screen time here too. Did he catch your attention when he did The Tale of Nokdu?

@JenL Just when we were discussing about him crying, I see a new article about him crying on Master in the House, hahaha! I question why this would be regarded as "significant news" though because he's probably just touched and gotten emotional of what was shared by the couple.

15 hours ago, JenL said:

it's also extreme that your every move is obsessively adored and scrutinised by fans...who are also the first to turn on you when you make a mistake or reveal a side of you they don't like

It's partly the responsibility of the culture of the entertainment industry because the Asian celebrities sell fantasies/dreams to fans, hence the celebs had to be or look "perfect" on the surface. They can't belong to anyone because they belong to the fans. Once the young fans had matured and married themselves then they became more acceptance of their biases seeking their happiness. On the contrary, Western celebs don't have this kind of issue. They date, marry, divorce, marry again.

15 hours ago, JenL said:

I haven't seen Heirs or Sunbae Don't Put on that Lipstick

Lucky you! I would love to unsee Heirs! :laugh:Choi Young Do (Kim Woo Bin) was a combination of Baek Kyung and Goo Ja Sung in 18 Again. Like them, he has family issues. Young Do is violent & bad tempered like Baek Kyung. A bully like Ja Sung. IMO, he's worse because he intentionally tripped the FL and also pushed her into the swimming pool. Even though after he fell in love with the FL and treated her better, it doesn't excuse him from his past actions because at the end of the day, if he hadn't fallen for the FL, it means he'd still be mean.

As for Sunbae, second lead is a cheater. That itself is an unexcusable act.

16 hours ago, JenL said:

but my main point is that I think it's unfair that it's rarer to have a second female lead looking gracious once they've been rejected - why do they have to scheme so often? If a lot of second lead males get to be likeable, it'd be nice if they could subvert this trope for second female leads in love triangles more often.

Ohhh have you seen Temperature of Love? I think this one both male & female second leads are "bad". I mean Kim Jae Wook was good before and likable but the writer had to ruin it all and become illogical with his character. But like you said, female seem to get the worse of it all. And I wonder if it is because SK is sexist and traditional. Or women are just naturally more petty? LOL. The irony is that the scripts are mostly written by females, so literally the females are condeming their own sex.

• Like 2

[News] Cha Eun Woo's "Love So Fine" OST Will Finally Be Released!

1612144179-210201-ost8-image2.jpg

Cha Eun Woo will be singing the OST for 'True Beauty'.

tvN's 'True Beauty' is a live adaptation of a popular webtoon series of the same name. The story revolves around a high school girl who relies on makeup to hide her insecurities from the world, and how she overcomes her inferiority complex after meeting a mysterious, cold classmate. Cha Eun Woo, the male lead of the drama, will be singing the drama's 8th OST "Love So Fine".

The song is a medium tempo love song with a bright string sound and a fresh electric guitar riff. The song will be released at 6PM KST on the 3rd.

source: Allkpop

• Like 3
On 2/1/2021 at 1:21 AM, mademoiselle said:

Hahaha why don't you watch True Beauty too. Hwang In Seop is lovable here (more than 18 Again) and he has more screen time here too. Did he catch your attention when he did The Tale of Nokdu?

I can't be watching Hwang In Seop not get the girl so I'll just continue to watch his clips. Haha! He did in Nokdu but I didn't realized he was the one playing that character until recently. :eeeee:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I have so many posts to catch up to on this thread...but lately just been busy with work again and haven't even written my opinions for the last 2 episodes which I really really loved btw. Can't believe the drama ends this week! It actually exceed my expectations to be honest and grew on me in these later episodes!

Episode 13

-Wow the kids were so mean when JK's bare face was revealed. I mean it'd be unrealistic if they just accepted her...especially since I think the culture and concept of judging is more of a thing in Asia...but still. It was a bit much! :letalQQ:

-I really liked that her little brother stuck up for her. He is a total jerk in the webtoon and just gives her a hard time all the time...mind you, there is no big reveal in her high school years in the comics. :idk:

-I loved that SJ called SJin out on her trash behaviour and told her that she was just destroying herself. As if everyone's second lead syndrome wasn't deep enough already! :wow:

-SH was a very caring boyfriend though :1000: Poor guy ran all over the place looking for her, worried he'd actually jumped off the building :psweatduck:  He was so comforting to her and even made that embarrassing song for her!

-JK's mum is such an Asian parent...they always seem to be angry at you when you're already having an awful day and they haven't asked about it! :pandarage2: But I also thought her mum's reaction when she finds out the truth was so touching. It must have hurt a lot...and she's so supportive after that. I like that she takes JK to the plastic surgeon's and then is outraged by all the changes they suggest, recognising that JK's make up talent is better :BulbaOWO::hearties: Also loved that she decided to support her dreams by buying her the professional kit...that was a sweet mother-daughter moment!

-JK's teacher's speech was so good...I thought he reallllly hit the nail on the head by saying he was terrified of the kid's actions and that fact they laughed at someone being humiliated. I'm glad he talked sense into them and shamed them for their lack of empathy...if only more teachers could do this in real life! :heart: Go Mr Grapefruit!

-Haha, I only realised this episode that SJ and JK's brother...well they both like each other's sisters :lol: And I laughed that they could relate on the onesided love. 

- I love that in the drama, JK has grown a backbone and faced her bullies...she hasn't gotten to this point in the webtoon...and SH's support was everything! 

One thing I couldn't stand about this episode though: What was with the potty humour?! Who kick's open their friend's toilet door when they're taking a dump??? :lettalKWA:

Edited by JenL

Currently watching: Doctor Slump // Queen of Tears // The Impossible Heir

Current Obsessions: ❤ Lee Jae wook // Park Hyung Sik // Yoon Park

Podcast: These Dramatic Days