True Beauty 여신강림 [2020-2021]

Episode 5-6

I enjoyed both episodes and LOL-ed for many scenes however I don't have much to discuss or highlight. I think the live action has deterred from the webtoon a lot from what I've read. Right now I think it is a good thing.

Nothing too big really stood out for me even though the backstory regarding Se Yeon has been revealed. This backstory doesn't really surprise me since I've already guessed Suho, Se Yeon and Seo Joon used to be friends. With the revelation of the room Suho unlocked, my guess is Leo must have been Suho.

Moon Ga Young is pretty awesome as Im Joo Kyung - I laughed so much with her antics.

9144786952bed08ba6d085932007533051dcf90c

source

I love her eldest sister's personality, and her bull dozer style with the Teacher. They are too cute. Even the intentional (and reversal) of saving the Teacher in the rain was done well and presented hilariously. I hope Omma did a good job with Teacher's eye brow tattoos, LOL.

Eun Woo's action scene at the karaoke is pretty impressive and I think he did do the stunt himself. I'm impressed.

Episode 6's funniest scene had to go to Hwang In Seop's topless + dancing + leopard print boxer scene. :laugh: And why didn't they show this in the BTS. I'm a lil' disappointed, haha.

b92704ca62ea8146ccf628db32c05a0d0cbb831970fabcff3838062e9af92ca6f8a7618b2dd39a9d

9ba57be5f3010a1d396b22c44d631511970974b5

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Heart Eyes 2
  • Tasty 1
1 minute ago, JenL said:

I'm pretty behind in this drama! I got caught up trying some other stuff like Lovestruck in the City which I've dropped and so now got to catch up again. Is this one on a break week?

Yeah no ep 7-8 this week so perfect time to catch up (and watch more, like Sweet Home *hint*) :laugh:

• Haha 3

Extraordinary You's Lee Do Hwa (Jung Gun Joo) Cameo in True Beauty!

Eq8RFKxVQAESEgN?format=jpg&name=4096x409

True Beauty” shared a glimpse of Jung Gun Joo’s cameo!

Based on a hit webtoon, “True Beauty” is a romantic comedy about Lim Ju Gyeong (Moon Ga Young), who zealously uses makeup to hide her bare face and combat her insecurities about her looks. After she meets Lee Su Ho (ASTRO‘s Cha Eun Woo), a popular student who has his own emotional wounds, they share each other’s secrets and learn to heal through love. Hwang In Yeob plays Han Seo Jun, an untamable rebel with a surprisingly warm heart.

Jung Gun Joo is making a special appearance as a baseball player named Ryu Hyung Jin. In the new stills, he is standing on the mound with a concentrated and determined expression on his face. He seems passionate and driven to win, and he pulls off the perfect pitching form.

Eq8RFKyUYAEkSTz?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Furthermore, Ryu Hyung Jin approaches Lim Ju Gyeong and holds out his cell phone as if he is trying to get her phone number. He can’t take his eyes off of her, and he smiles widely at her as he walks away with his teammates. Lim Ju Gyeong’s eyes grow wide in response, and viewers are curious to find out if something more will blossom between the two. 

Jung Gun Joo willingly agreed to appear in “True Beauty” in support of the drama’s PD (producing director) Kim Sang Hyub, who directed “Extraordinary You.” The actor practiced his pitching technique and constantly discussed his acting with Kim Sang Hyub. Thanks to his continuous efforts and warm energy, they were able to create a heart-fluttering moment. Viewers can look forward to his entrance as another rival for Lim Ju Gyeong’s heart.

The director thanked Jung Gun Joo, saying, “I would like to thank the team of ‘Extraordinary You’ as well as Jung Gun Joo for willingly accepting to appear in the drama despite their busy schedules. Despite his short appearance, Jung Gun Joo was faithfully able to portray Ryu Hyung Jin in an attractive way through his thorough character analysis. We were able to create fun and exciting scenes because of his loyalty and passionate performance. Please look forward to the next episode of ‘True Beauty.'”

“True Beauty” airs every Wednesday and Thursday at 10:30 p.m. KST

Source (1) via soompi

Spoiler

Eq8RFKyVgAEnTKh?format=jpg&name=4096x409Eq8RFKxVoAYAqy3?format=jpg&name=4096x409

:SquirtleWonderfull: What a surprise! @Alice Wonderland @JenL Damn, now I really want Rowoon to cameo too. Face Genius #1 and #2 standing side-by-side is :wow:

Now it's just Yoo Joo Da (Na Eun), Kim Young Dae (Nam Joo) and Rowoon (Haru) left ...:pandarage2: Drama Gods, make it happen!

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Star Struck 1
  • Shocked 1
13 minutes ago, Alice Wonderland said:

I wish the rest could come along next. But seeing RW and YD are in current airing drama as well so probably they cant. But if they do that would be so great.

Young Dae definitely can! His cameo news just came out - he's appearing in Ji Jin Hee's drama. Hmph.

• Like 4

[News] Moon Ga Young And Cha Eun Woo Share A Sweet Moment In “True Beauty”

True Beauty” has released new stills ahead of the upcoming episode!

Based on a hit webtoon, the drama is a romantic comedy about Lim Ju Gyeong (Moon Ga Young), who zealously uses makeup to hide her bare face and combat her insecurities about her looks. After she meets Lee Su Ho (ASTRO‘s Cha Eun Woo), a popular student who has his own emotional wounds, they share each other’s secrets and learn to heal through love.

In the new images, the two are spending time together at the comic book cafe. Lee Su Ho pats Lim Ju Gyeong’s head while gazing warmly at her, and she appears surprised by the sudden gesture.

The stills draw curiosity for how Su Ho and Ju Gyeong’s relationship will progress in episode 7 of “True Beauty,” which airs on January 6 at 10:30 p.m. KST.

Source (1) via soompi

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 3

[News] Hwang In Yeob And Moon Ga Young Stand Close To Each Other In “True Beauty”

Moon Ga Young and Hwang In Yeob will go on a shopping date together in tvN’s “True Beauty”!

Based on a hit webtoon, “True Beauty” is a romantic comedy about Lim Ju Gyeong (Moon Ga Young), who zealously uses makeup to hide her bare face and combat her insecurities about her looks. After she meets Lee Su Ho (ASTRO‘s Cha Eun Woo), a popular student who has his own emotional wounds, they share each other’s secrets and learn to heal through love. Hwang In Yeob plays Han Seo Jun, an untamable rebel with a surprisingly warm heart.

Spoilers

Previously in “True Beauty,” Han Seo Jun was shown putting his hand over his rapidly beating heart while watching Lim Ju Gyeong smiling happily under the sun. Near the end of the most recent episode, Han Seo Jun immediately came to Lim Ju Gyeong’s rescue when she was held captive by Lee Sung Yong (Shin Jae Hwi).

New stills preview Lim Ju Gyeong and Han Seo Jun enjoying each other’s company at a makeup store. Lim Ju Gyeong leans in close to apply lip tint on his lips, and Han Seo Jun lets her do as she pleases while keeping his eyes glued on her.

Episode 7, airing January 6 at 10:30 p.m. KST, will reveal why Lim Ju Gyeong and Han Seo Jun have gone a shopping date together.

Source (1) via soompi

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 3

Episode 7

Capture-horz.jpg

Rather than continuing from last episode's karaoke fight, the episode began with Joo Kyung's homeroom teacher entering the school corridor with his new hairstyle! Now that he has his eyebrows back, he's confidently showing them off. Awww. His relationship with Hee Kyung continues to be hilarious. I do enjoy the gender reversal Hee Kyung does to Sam. LOL LOL.

Capture1-horz.jpg

Meanwhile the school found out the kids had a fight at the karaoke and were sent to detention where they had to write 10 pages of apologetic notes. Seo Joon being Seo Joon, only does the talk but Suho is the one that puts it into action ensuring the leader of the school gang not only stop harassing Joo Kyung but also apologises. I honestly enjoyed that Eun Woo's smug face. Victory is sweet in the expense of few nights of sleeps.

I'm so glad to see some girly bonding between Joo Kyung and Soo Jin. Maybe this time round, I need not be concerned the Show will go down that atypical route of a second female lead turning dark. Her own trouble will be the only thing she had to overcome and this will be something Joo Kyung and Suho can help & support her to get through.

My favourite scene had to be the one where they were stuck in the elevator. Joo Kyung down a large cup of coffee, including the ice before the elevator malfunctioned and in the end she was dying to go to the bathroom. She berated Seo Joon for buying her such a large cup and at Suho for messing with the elevator before.

JK: Ottokaeeeeee!!!! :PsyWhat::shocked:

Joo Kyung freaks out and makes Seo Joon rushes to press any buttons on the panel. Still with his deadpan expression, Suho calmly grabs the empty cup from Seo Joon, opens the cap and offers it to Joo Kyung, signalling her to pee into the cup.

SK: ARE YOU CRAZYYYYY!!!!

Me: nrwlNY8.gifnrwlNY8.gifnrwlNY8.gifnrwlNY8.gif

Lastly, dimpled Jung Gun Joo's cameo screen time was longer than I thought. Even though he's still extra, but he gets more out of Baek Kyung and Dan Oh. Ha-ha. :Niceu: Now can we just get rid of those hair colour...

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

I feel like I haven't offered any opinions for awhile, but because I only just caught up! I feel like I was a little hesitant with the drama at first because it was fun, but a bit too comic-booky. But watching the most recent episodes, I like the cast a lot and the direction of the story, while different to the webtoon in many ways, is very charming and I think I do like it better then the original when it's not too slapstick (Sometimes the humour gets a bit much with the school kids or her family, but the more recent episodes have been much better).

Episode 3 & 4

- See when JK stressed about SH finding out about her identity and imagined him as a vampire, and when she confronts him on the sports field and they animate her as a gladiator, I was a bit meh on the story because it seemed a bit too silly? The webtoon does have her stressed about her secret being revealed and her being a slave to SH...but I guess the webtoon takes the whole thing a bit more seriously...while this was a bit too comic book slapsticky for me? :poliWeird:

-But I was also charmed by Cha Eun Woo as SH in episode 3 when he confronted her as being JK in the comic book store...and took off her glasses and backed her into the book shelf :wow: There was a nice shot which showed just how long his eyelashes are...also that scene was kind fluttery since they were both standing by that pretty lamp. :heart:

-One thing I really like about the drama compared to the webtoon is how warm Moon Ga Young is JK. In the comic book, I always feel like the main character is either super self conscious (a bit more like the main character in My ID is Gangnam Beauty  or like troll (when she's at home). She's a nice character, but I feel like MGY really makes her more relatable and gives her heart. And I did laugh at her sprawled at the door frame:

Capture.png

-The sister's romance annoyed me at first, but now that I'm currently up to date, I am changing my mind at episode 7 and liking the cuteness of their reversed gender stereotypes! I think in the webtoon she doesn't have a romance. Her character is very independent working woman (except she still lives at home). She does drink a lot, but her purpose in the story is being more of a talent agent who is always trying to get SJ and SH to go back to being idols because she thinks they're pretty and talented. Pretty sure she doesn't have a long romance with JK's teacher of all people! :thinking:

- There are more family scenes in the drama vs. webtoon. In the webtoon, the main focus is her love triangle. And while there are family moments, they aren't as central to the story. JK does have an annoying little brother who likes to put her down, an independent sister and they were both born fairly good looking...but not JK. I also don't really remember what her father is like in the comics, but her mum is super grumpy. But I suppose I don't mind having her family in the story since it shows how she came to be the way she is :popcorn:

- One thing I'm not sure I like is the hyper crazy school life...like when JK auditions for that talent show and does the somewhat risque dance...not sure what the point of that scene was? The slacksticky element of the school kids is a bit over the top sometimes. I didn't mind it in Extraordinary You since they're meant to be in a comic book world, but for True Beauty it felt a bit like a copycat element of that world rather than setting up a new different school world. But I think it tones down in the later episodes or I've gotten use to it :idk:

-I really like SJ's character in the drama too - the way he is around his mum is sooo sweet and I can see people getting second lead syndrome with this bad boy. :BulbaOWO::hearties: He also has really fun and playful exchanges with JK - I like that he's more immature than cool (which he seems to be in the webtoon)...and it was funny when he was taking photos of JK with her face mask. 

- It looks they've changed the story with how SJ and SH's friend died though. In the webtoon, he commits suicide because he was on one of those voting talent shows and the vicious fans who love him at first turn on him suddenly because of rumours etc and he gets depressed, tries to reach his friends who don't pick up that day and then kills himself. :letalQQ: In the drama, it looks like he gets fired for a scandal? I think the webtoon story is sadder if that's the case. 

- Most important thing about Episode 4: Lee Jae Wook and Kim Hye Yoon's cameo! I have to say I enjoyed seeing them film together again and in the BTS, it looked like they had fun with all the casts too. I was surprised at them literally acting as the same characters from EY though. I thought it would have been better if they had played fresh characters in this world, but I still liked the cameo a lot for seeing a reunion between LJW & KHY. And I still like Baek Kyung and Dan oh, so it was fun seeing them in a cut out/ alternative world EY date scene :MewHi:

aBi7UMx.gif

qmnoGZN.gif

dWFU0Tm.gif

The reactions from fans were mixed- ranging from lots of love and shipping at seeing them together again. Some fans also loved the fact that those two finally went on the movie date that they never went on in EY ....But there was also disappointment because the cameo was so short compared to LTR's cameo and also because Baek Kyung gets rejected once again for Haru even though he's not there! I'm guessing both actors didn't have time to do a longer stint since LJW was probably tying up DDSSLLS at the time.

Edited by JenL
  • Like 2

Currently watching: Doctor Slump // Queen of Tears // The Impossible Heir

Current Obsessions: ❤ Lee Jae wook // Park Hyung Sik // Yoon Park

Podcast: These Dramatic Days

Episode 5 & 6

-I feel like the story started to stablise for me in these episodes (ie. that I feel more into the drama and the humour started to be more likeable). I think the crazy colourful school world is now fun, but not too out there and the presence of the other other school kids actually start being funnier (eg. SH stopping the nerdy guy from sitting next to him, but when he sees JK still carrying the juice from SJ, he hands it to the same nerdy guy :laugh:....or like when SJ eats JK's tonkatsu and orders his gang to bring her all the tonkatsu. Like all of it!)

- Glad they included the story with Go Woon - SJ's little sister as it's the key reason how SJ and JK start getting closer in the webtoon too - because she helps GW by teaching her how to do make up. And it's cute to see a mini version of JK at school - even down to the fact that when she wanted to try doing her make up she did a terrible job and looked like a clown too :BulbaOWO:

-If I'm honest, totally have a girl crush on JK's sister in the drama. She's like such a cool guy doing the pursuing :wow:

-I love the building up of tension between SH and JK (as well as SJ and JK)...but I'm so confused as to why he's so hot and cold towards her, especially in the part when she was in the pig costume? Is it because SJ confronted him the night before and made him feel guilty about their friend who had passed away? I can't remember just how hot and cold he was in the webtoon since I've been reading it for awhile - I don't think it was as cold? :idk:

- Ah no wonder SH was so worked up when he first met JK - it was the same building :letalQQ: (this is different to the webtoon since the story with their friend's suicide was much different). I also think it's interesting how they have utilised SH's dad to be the bad guy who fired their friend and pushed him to the brink...different to the webtoon, but not a bad change since it give SJ a reason to dislike him too.

-I think what gives SJ's character heart is his relationship with his mum and sister. It was so cute to see his relationship with his sister! :MewGiggle: I liked that he ate all her noodles...and was in a temper when his sister said she was being bullied. But he also doesn't seem overbearing (ie. left it alone when she didn't want him to take care of it and JK had)

-Jk's mum is like every fan girl when they meet their idol :SquirtleNiceAhah:

-LOL SJ's underwear dance was the best. How embarrassing. But I love how JK teases him about it with the roar. I think MGY is so cute every time she does the rawr at him. Poor SJ...how can he not fall for her??

- Love that everyone came to rescue JK like that - she id definitely no longer an outcast! Also I feel like in the webtoon it'd only be the 2 guys -I like that her female friends came to her aid in this too. Girls can fight good too! :1000:

On 12/25/2020 at 4:32 PM, mademoiselle said:

I enjoyed both episodes and LOL-ed for many scenes however I don't have much to discuss or highlight. I think the live action has deterred from the webtoon a lot from what I've read. Right now I think it is a good thing.

I thought I wouldn't have too much to say about this series...but here I am writing an essay again. :lol: Yep, it has diverged from the webtoon, but I think that makes it fun to talk about - to compare and guess what will happen. And it does still largely follow along with the main plot points...it's just altered a lot of the finer details.

On 12/25/2020 at 4:32 PM, mademoiselle said:

Moon Ga Young is pretty awesome as Im Joo Kyung - I laughed so much with her antics.

I love her eldest sister's personality, and her bull dozer style with the Teacher. They are too cute.

Totally have the same feelings as you about JK and her sister! I love how warm and likeable they've made the characters. She may be lacking self confidence, but I feel like she's also interesting and has lots of funny and weird antics to make you relate to her. Also the sister is just too cool. Man, I'm crushing on her :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

Episode 8

:cry: This is a rant post.

Spoiler

A very disappointing episode. The execution and story are messy with choppy editing. All of a sudden a lot of non-sensical/nonsense/filler scenes included. And what's with that horrendous, over-exaggerated fight scenes between Suho and Seo Joon?

I understand Eun Woo is stil honing his acting skills; however, throughout the camping scenes he seems to only have one expression. Perhaps I'm exaggerating, I just really would like to see him, as Suho, feels or looks a lot more tortured or pained by the scenes with Joo Kyung & Seo Joon together.

Instead of feeling for Suho, I actually enjoyed Seo Joon x Joo Kyung's moments more this time. Like the part he took care of her in the bus while she's sick and when she's crying.

I don't like this episode at all, even the kiss at the end did not make it up. Felt nothing for the kiss scene and it wasn't a satisfying kiss either, with Eun Woo's side withholding with the lip movement. Meh. PD-nim, what's with your amateur-like kisses since EY anyway? Just to clarify I'm not asking for hot, steamy sexual kind but at least be averagely decent at the level I'd feel KYAAAA about it.

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 2

Episode 7 & 8

-Ahhh, it starts off with the introduction of the EY cameo for Jung Gunjoo :wow: I'm liking all these cameos and glad that there's another friendly face from the past this week!

-I like that JGJ played a character in this world just like LTR did and that he had a longer cameo :BulbaOWO:....But it does make me a bit sadder that LJW and KHY only got to reprise their EY roles. Would have been more fun to see them reincarnate to new characters in this True Beauty world too! 

-You know what scene was pretty? The scene where JK gets to her study session early and she stares at SH and he stares at her...such a lovely gazing scene :heart:

-It seems a bit worrying that Soojin and JK got vulnerable with each other since soojin in the webtoon secretly looks down on JK and wants SH...:lettalKWA: We shall see how this drama pans out, but I have a feeling she's going to be part of that messy love square where her feelings will at least be hurt if she doesn't turn jealous. They've already started to set up the Soojin crush with him comforting her and her stealing his cap...:poliWeird:

-I thought JGJ asking JK out was so fun, especially since he was a hotshot baseball guy and it was a long pursuit where he kept running into her and teasing her. And even though it was a new character, could totally see some of that old EY extraness he exhibited! :ValentineBulba::laugh: Really I think his purpose was to make both guys feel the pressure in asking JK out

-Can't believe JK studies and still does more poorly than SJ on her test :laugh:

-The scene where SH comforts her at the comic book store was so sweet. It was just very gentle, I don't get flutters too often, but this came close! And then he saved her from a worm and gave her a hair clip. If that's not love, I don't know what is....:heart: Also, I laughed when she awkwardly sat on him but he meant the chair :lol:

-Ahhh, they featured one of the most iconic scenes from the webtoon - JK putting lipstick on SJ (who wears make up in the comics). I actually thought it was quite well done in the drama for romantic tension.

-I loved the bromance with both guys getting so happy that JGJ's character would get scouted and move overseas that they pretty much hugged each other when he won. Bromance! :YesHalCat:

-As for episode 8, I think school trips are always a call for big cliches...if they do it right, it can be where the fun romantic scenes take place....but it can also be where cringe worthy scenes happen too. I do agree that there were a lot of filler scenes and once again the humour slid back into super slapsticky nonsense and exaggeration this week. What can you do though? :idk:

- I was probably less disappointed than you @mademoiselle because I am leaning slightly more toward SJ at the moment just because he's more fun to watch! I thought that SH did look hurt by seeing SJ x JK....but I think it might be that CEW wasn't expressing it so well? :pandathink: I like him coz he's pretty and fun in his BTS, but I feel like he's not as expressive as some other actors in his generation (no offence!) 

- That bus illness scene with SJ was very sweet...and the part where he wiped away her tears while she blabbered on about liking another guy is going to kill everyone with SLS. I do think HIY is really doing so well - just the right balance of silly, but endearing and charming at the same time. :wow:

-The kisses are pretty freezey...but I find they tend to do this when there's school kid charaacters involved. :idk:

• Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 1