True Beauty 여신강림 [2020-2021]

7 hours ago, Tofu said:

I must really like Hwang In Yeop because even though I haven't seen one episode, there's a chance I might have seen about 50% of his scenes in this drama. :laugh:

It's Hwang In Yeop's birthday today :BulbaOWO::hearties::CharmanderYay:

And he's 30 but still playing a high schooler

DMCC6xx.gif

Hahaha, my favourite scene of this whole drama has been the dumpling scenes btw. So silly, but funny:

CTrImtr.gif

Gif credits: https://heyum07.tistory.com/m/437

7 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

Guys, I started watching this last night. Well, actually my daughter did and I was casually watching along here and there for 3 episodes. Quite enjoyable it seems, so I will watch again from the beginning properly 😁

Glad you're joining us! :CharmanderYay:

Edited by JenL
  • Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 1

Currently watching: Doctor Slump // Queen of Tears // The Impossible Heir

Current Obsessions: ❤ Lee Jae wook // Park Hyung Sik // Yoon Park

Podcast: These Dramatic Days

I am enjoying this drama so much! Very typical high school romance, but quite nicely done. Just finished ep.5. A lot has happened, I sure hope the story telling remains strong till the end.  I haven’t back read on the posts in this thread so as to avoid spoilers. Let me just say that I really like the relationship among the Im siblings. Can tell they love one another even though they may bicker and fight all day. 

• Like 3

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

Episode 11

My fave of this episode had to be the scene where Suho confronted his dad. I complained about Eun Woo's being (almost) expressionless during the camping scene, but this scene though, I loveeee. I think he did extremely well!! I still remember a scene with his mother in Gangnam Beauty where Eun Woo looked like he had hard time playing emotional and shedding a tear. But now ...  :CharmanderYay:

The funny thing though is even before Suho confronted Dad, Eun Woo's eyes were already red and swollen. I can only imagine they must have done multiple takes for this scene.

YJlrftv.png?1

Anyway, soooo glad Seo Joon shared a room with Suho so we finally got some really nice bromance scenes rather than them fighting over Joo Kyung. Even now their bickering is cute and adorableee.

As for Joo Kyung, also glad that she muster up the courage and told Soo Jin before she found out Suho got into the accident. I think the sequence of her coming clean is quite important here (for me anyway). Love Seo Joon being the good second male lead for a change (from other dramas) and not the annoying kind (yeah, I'm talking about you MTF). However, I'm sad Soo Jin is going all evil now. I know Show will "white-wash" her again later, but I'm just not sure I'll be convinced and forgiving.

• Heart Eyes 2

Yay! I am all caught up, chingu-deul... 

It’s been a while since I wholeheartedly enjoy watching a high-school rom-com. Can’t wait for ep.12 subbed to drop in. Now, time to back read on this thread. 

I fell in love with MGY. She was okay for me in Find Me in Your Memory, but here, she is awesome! I love love love her portrayal as IJK. 

Edited by ktcjdrama
  • Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

Looks like these Extraordinary You cameos keep coming...Kim Young Dae announced today which means there's been an appearance of all of the A3...wonder if Rowoon will do one in these last few episodes...:thinking: But I somehow doubt it because he's been filming for the start of Sunbae

https://www.soompi.com/article/1450081wpp/the-penthouse-star-kim-young-dae-to-make-special-appearance-in-true-beauty

https://entertain.naver.com/now/read?oid=609&aid=0000390365

Edited by JenL
  • Like 1

Episode 12

The double date dinner between the sisters are so funny. Their multitasking between bickering and making sure the hot pot is still done the way they like was absolutely hilarious! I am glad this secret is out. The double date was cute. Joo Kyung wasn't protected by the teachers in her previous school, but this homeroom teacher/brother-in-law will. Plus now she has Suho and Seo Joon.

So happy Suho and Seo Joon have finally made up! They look so much cuter now, especially the knitting scene. LOL. I feel bad for Seo Joon at first when Joo Kyung and Suho had the video call. But Seo Joon got his revenge by locking Suho out, I guess I didn't have to feel so bad anymore, LOL.

The kiss between Suho and Joo Kyung are also so so so much better! Stamp of approval. ;P

Last but not least, oh my with Kang Soo Jin. She's just gone beyond forgivable. Dumping Suho's gift into the fire in front of him and expects him to like her back?! Suho must be dorai to agree! And going to the extreme of exposing Joo Kyung's past and traumatising her...? Nope. A million apologies later or even kneeling down begging for forgiveness would not cut it no more. She had better not go the suicidal route later.

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 1

Episodes 11 & 12

- Have to say this drama really went up in my eyes this week because I feel like the story finally picked up with the humour :CharmanderYay: Like instead of it being more slapstick, it's finally pulled out the bromance card and used it for humour, rather than just having cakes flying and classmates being nosy as the "funny" element of the drama.

-I have to say I laughed at the car accident because it was soooo melodramatic with how SH flew up into the air for so long while SJ ended up on the ground instantly :lol:

-I'm proud that JK found the courage to tell SJin about SH...but I wish SJin's response to JK had been genuine! It just seems so sad for JK that one of the few people she thought was a friend will use her secret against her :letalQQ:...It also seems so much more evil for SJin to pretend to get over something, but backstab her friend! :pandarage2:  She is really quite nasty, which is sad because I wanted to like her character as she was so cool in the beginning.

-Hahaha, the hospital bromance was soooo entertaining...I think partly because of the whole Mr Tinkles revelation to SH who then kept using it against SJ :laugh: How embarrassing...especially when he then needed SH's help to use the bathroom :laugh:. But I like that SJ didn't even get mad at his mum...SJ's character is so soft towards his family and I really like that warmth his character has! :BulbaOWO: SJ piggybacking SH to get some fresh air was also quite funny...it's the banter between a very sardonic, cynical SH and a very charismatic, trash-talking SJ that has finally made this show really enjoyable to me :wow:  And with the apology, it looks like more bromance scenes to come!

-Another thing that has really ramped up is the romance :heart: I liked when JK fell into SH's wheelchair and he clung onto her, and the hiding in his hospital bed was also funny. And then the two kisses in episode 12 especially the one at the end when he pinned her against the gate...that was particularly pretty and not a freeze kiss :wow::hearties:

-I like the openness of the guy's acknowledging they both like the same girl, but no longer really hurting each other over it even though it does hurt SJ and feel uncomfortable for SH. But at least they're willing to try to make their friendship work in memory of their friend and the fondness and care they have for each other :heart:. In contrast, SJin's actions seem so cold and calculating... actively using JK's secret to hurt her by continuously pulling the new transfer student in, blackmailing SH and teaming up with the old school bullies...she is really is such a terrible person...how is someone 'yours' if you have to threaten them to like you? :ChikoWTF: And even if they liked you, they wouldn't anymore knowing you were like that. I feel sorry for her abusive situation, but her actions are totally not forgivable. 

-I say this every week, but JK's sister and her 'Grapefruit lover' makes me laugh so much. Also her constantly pinning him up and chasing after him is so cute. I definitely have a big girl crush on her and aspire for that level of coolness...That hotpot scene with the two guys being bossed about while the sisters argued was also one of my fave scenes :laugh:

-Wowwwww....I cannot believe JK's secret is out! This definitely does not happen in the webtoon, that's for sure. And judging from the trailer, it's not a dream....so wondering what's going to happen...you would think people wouldn't be so shallow...especially since her friends have known she was a nice person for months! :lettalKWA:

Edited by JenL
  • Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

On 1/21/2021 at 6:22 PM, mademoiselle said:

The funny thing though is even before Suho confronted Dad, Eun Woo's eyes were already red and swollen. I can only imagine they must have done multiple takes for this scene.

Hahaha, yeah, I noticed that too. I think his acting is improving, but he seems like such a happy and chill person in real life that I imagine it must take him a bit to cry like that! :idk:

As for Joo Kyung, also glad that she muster up the courage and told Soo Jin before she found out Suho got into the accident. I think the sequence of her coming clean is quite important here (for me anyway). 

I think it proves JK is honest as a person (since she didn't want to feel dishonest to her friend), which is a contrast to SJin who hides all her schemes. It also shows that this couldn't possibly be a misunderstanding, so it is purely on SJin to be responsible for how she reacts...and she reacts badly.

Love Seo Joon being the good second male lead for a change (from other dramas) and not the annoying kind (yeah, I'm talking about you MTF). However, I'm sad Soo Jin is going all evil now. 

Wow, I find I rarely encounter 'bad' male second leads...I feel like I'm always encountering the dreamy second male lead and that's how I discover new Oppas and remain in a perpetual state of SLS :laugh: I guess it happens every now and then....the one that I have a strong impression of is from a really old drama called Delightful Girl Chun Hyang ....he was a blackmailer. 

On 1/22/2021 at 2:20 AM, ktcjdrama said:

she is awesome! I love love love her portrayal as IJK. 

I agree! I love her version of JK, who I find to be much warmer than the webtoon character. She's just so cute and resilient despite having self-esteem issues from bullying :heart:

• Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

2 hours ago, JenL said:

you would think people wouldn't be so shallow...especially since her friends have known she was a nice person for months! 

I am still going to think positively in that the classmates are more upset that she wasn’t opened about her true self with them, instead of they’re upset because she looks ugly. There are many less than ideal/perfect looking people in that class. Let’s see what next episode brings. 

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

MTDzeiV.gif

2 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

I am still going to think positively in that the classmates are more upset that she wasn’t opened about her true self with them, instead of they’re upset because she looks ugly. There are many less than ideal/perfect looking people in that class. Let’s see what next episode brings. 

Yep, I agree with you. I think the girl Joo Kyung was close with, other than Soo Jin, will come around later on. The issue is Soo Jin. I don't want to see the show ended her by having everyone forgiving her. Perhaps after a time-jump. I can't see what she did deserve to be forgiven so easily no matter how big hearted Joo Kyung is. :HaunterOK:

• Like 2

Joining the bandwagon here...

I started watching mid last week and was hooked after ep 1. Kicking myself for having waited this long to watch it!

I am enjoying this drama so much more than I thought I would. I love all the characters and man, it's so funny! I laughed so hard at almost every episode. The following scenes had me laughing so hard that my kids actually looked at me funny:

• Seo Joon dancing in his underwear (the "Okey Dokey" scene) - the look on his face when he turns around and realizes Joo Kyung is in his living room and the mortification that follows. And can I just say how adorable Joo Kyung looks when she does the "roar"?!
  • The baseball scene where Seo Joon and Su Ho cheer so hard for the baseball player (can't remember his name) as soon as they hear that he has to go overseas if he performs well.
  • All the scenes between JG's sister and her teacher
  • The scene where they think JG is a ghost in the forest

I like how Sun Ho is different from everyone in that when he first met JG, she was at her lowest point - no makeup and standing on the ledge of a building. I thought the drama did a good job of portraying how Sun Ho fell in love with JG just as she is - no makeup and in all her quirkiness because all the times they spent together that led up to him falling for her where times when she had no makeup on, she's not even dressed up and mostly talking about their shared love for horror comics. 

I also appreciate the contrast between Sun Ho and Seo Joon in that Sun Ho knew her and fell in love with her when she had no makeup on while Seo Joon knew and fell in love with her without knowing her true appearance. One might say that Seo Joon only liked her bec she looked pretty but I think this drama is doing a good job in showing that he still likes her despite finding out what she really looks like. So you could say that both Sun Ho and Seo Joon really like her for who she is.

• Heart Eyes 2

spacer.pngQueen of Tears, My Lovely Runner, Doctor Slump

On 1/24/2021 at 4:45 PM, JenL said:

I think his acting is improving, but he seems like such a happy and chill person in real life that I imagine it must take him a bit to cry like that!

He is and has. I can see it since Rookie Historian. With True Beauty, sometimes there's hit or miss but this scene I'm satisfied with his performance.

He does appear happy and chill most of the time but I've come across a selfcam video of him talking to fans and breaking down in tears due to the pressure he received as the Face of Astro and what he expects of himself.

I might come across harsh on him previously however it's only because Knetizens are skeptical of idols, so I do wish for him to gradually improve in each drama and show that he's not only famous for what he's most famous for - which is the handsome face.

On 1/24/2021 at 4:45 PM, JenL said:

Wow, I find I rarely encounter 'bad' male second leads...I feel like I'm always encountering the dreamy second male lead and that's how I discover new Oppas and remain in a perpetual state of SLS

Bahahaha... I feel the need to ask you to define "bad" in case it has multiple meanings like "perfect". I feel like I've encountered many bad ones in my 10 years of kdrama viewing. Like Choi Young Do (Kim Woo Bin) in Heirs or the current Sunbae, Don't Put On That Lipstick for instance, and don't kill me, but even Baek Kyung was considered "bad" up until the Dan Oh lost her self-conscious again. As for Kim Dong Jun's character in MTF, he was not bad or turn evil like Soo Jin - he was just... too persistant and refused to let go when the FL rejected him few times. So that made his originally likable character became unlikeable.

====

tvN is being good to True Beauty's fans...so many stills!

Spoiler

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Heart Eyes 2