True Beauty 여신강림 [2020-2021]

On 1/8/2021 at 8:06 PM, JenL said:

I thought I wouldn't have too much to say about this series...but here I am writing an essay again. Yep, it has diverged from the webtoon, but I think that makes it fun to talk about - to compare and guess what will happen. And it does still largely follow along with the main plot points...it's just altered a lot of the finer details.

Hahaha do you stop & take notes? I mostly comment based on memories & how I feel after watching. Most of the time it needs to be done quickly else I'll lose steam. For True Beauty, I enjoyed some bits of it and then there are episodes where I don't particularly felt compelled to spazz. I heard the original webtoon doesn't have much depth to the story (?) so it is of course preferrable the live action don't follow suit on that and add/alter to make the content richer.

Hence I appreciated that Hee Kyung's story is meatier in here. I've watched many of that actress' works and this character is probably my fave of hers. Hahaha.

On 1/9/2021 at 1:51 AM, JenL said:

I was probably less disappointed than you @mademoiselle because I am leaning slightly more toward SJ at the moment just because he's more fun to watch! I thought that SH did look hurt by seeing SJ x JK....but I think it might be that CEW wasn't expressing it so well? :pandathink: I like him coz he's pretty and fun in his BTS, but I feel like he's not as expressive as some other actors in his generation (no offence!) 

I'm actually okay with Seo Joon with Joo Kyung's scenes so far. The bit I don't enjoy is the dragged-on, dragged out antagonism between him and Suho. It's getting redundant. I'm actually glad he now knows Joo Kyung doesn't like him. As for Eun Woo, he's definitely a more expressive person off-screen (and in other dramas) but in this episode the way was done for majority of the episode is frustrating to watch. I suppose Soo Jin keeps getting in the way also adds to the frustration. For this episode, I'm that guy who watches Suho on the side and kept saying to him, "What the hell are you waiting for?" :PikachuFacePalm:Kiss-wise, I'm sure it can be done better even though it needs to be light.

8-6.gif?type=w966

source

From afar, I see Eun Woo's moving but the close up scene it would be nicer visually if they would open their mouth a liiiiitle bit more. LOL, as much as I love EY, the kiss scenes really could have been better too.

I do like that he's showing some forehead, looks so much nicer, especially in that scene where they were on the boat. This:

ErNzDrSVQAgwNVt?format=jpg&name=large

And oh wow, they were able to find the same sweater as per the webtoon?

Spoiler

ErKpdkzUYAEjyxG?format=jpg&name=large

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Haha 3
18 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

Hahaha do you stop & take notes? I mostly comment based on memories & how I feel after watching. Most of the time it needs to be done quickly else I'll lose steam. For True Beauty, I enjoyed some bits of it and then there are episodes where I don't particularly felt compelled to spazz.

Haha, noooo...I don't liking pausing things except when it's really tense (then I go make a cup of tea and come back) but I am sometimes on my phone while I watch so I do write some things down. But then those thing prompt other memories and then I'm doomed to write a lot because I start remembering a lot of things :lettalKWA::laugh:

I don't think I'd have a lot to say about True Beauty if I didn't keep comparing it the webtoon. That's most of my opinions...how I feel about it in live-action vs. comic form. Also most of my spazzing so far has been because Extraordinary You actors keep popping up in every second episode :laugh: I love the reunions and I like it especially when the actors play different characters...but I do wonder if the True Beauty cast feel a little over shadowed by this? (Though it looked like they had fun hanging out with those actors too!)

27 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

I'm actually okay with Seo Joon with Joo Kyung's scenes so far. The bit I don't enjoy is the dragged-on, dragged out antagonism between him and Suho. It's getting redundant.

This comes from the webtoon I think. There's a lot of tension between them before either one confesses and because of the thing with their friend. Once they forgive each other about the history with the friend it's better....but then those tensions come to the surface from time to time when one dates JK and the other doesn't...but at least there's no weird fight amongst cotton candy bushes in the webtoon :laugh:

32 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

And oh wow, they were able to find the same sweater as per the webtoon?

Maybe costume designer made it! :thinking:

• Like 3

Currently watching: Doctor Slump // Queen of Tears // The Impossible Heir

Current Obsessions: ❤ Lee Jae wook // Park Hyung Sik // Yoon Park

Podcast: These Dramatic Days

Finally finished upto eight episodes, and I mostly agree with the running around the bush from episode 7. The love story of the teacher and JK's sister is more fun to watch, to be honest!

spacer.png

The only consolation I get from the last episode is the kiss . He kissed her without the make up on. 

spacer.png

But then, the webtoon itself is a drag too so who am I to complain :PsyWhat:

• Haha 3

Plop Cat GIFs | Tenor

On 1/9/2021 at 1:33 PM, mademoiselle said:

I'm imagining the costume stylist knitting, LOLLLL. Otherwise it could be a designer clothing already when the artist did the webtoon & they just source it from the brand (lucky it's still available...?)

It probably is designer clothing to be honest :lenny: The artist of the webtoon looks like she'd be into that. Have you ever seen her? She looks exactly like one of her characters!

On 1/9/2021 at 4:44 PM, bluepebbles said:

Finally finished upto eight episodes, and I mostly agree with the running around the bush from episode 7. The love story of the teacher and JK's sister is more fun to watch, to be honest!

The only consolation I get from the last episode is the kiss . He kissed her without the make up on. 

But then, the webtoon itself is a drag too so who am I to complain 

Hahaha, the sister's story is more fun! And yes, the no make up kiss was a sign of his not being shallow (ofc!) 

Hahaha, I agree about the webtoon too...I stopped reading it for months, then caught up in like 2 days....and pretty much after reading 20 chapters...nothing much had happened. LOL. I'm not sure why I still read it, but I guess the art style is pretty...I'm shallow like that sometimes :idk:

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, JenL said:

Have you ever seen her? She looks exactly like one of her characters!

Yup, I've seen her. She definitely looks like she has knowledge of designer's clothings.

Question. Do you guys pay for the webtoon? Coz what I know is they'll let you read a few chapters for free and the rest must pay.

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

Question. Do you guys pay for the webtoon? Coz what I know is they'll let you read a few chapters for free and the rest must pay.

Nah, I'm not one to pay for webtoons. I read it for free because, like my dramas, I'm ok with 1 chapter/episode per week.

If you have the webtoon app, you can read all the already released chapters (127 chapter so far) for free...and then they release 1 chapter a week for free too. But if you're hooked then you have to buy the coins to buy the chapters to keep reading forwards. :idk:

The moral of the story is don't get hooked :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/11/2021 at 2:50 PM, mademoiselle said:

New stills - a weird combination - Suho with Joo Kyung's Appa

The facebook caption is funny, like adding more pain to team seojoon fans

It's the start of the two-sided romance between Ju-gyeong and Su-ho🥰🥰!
Does that mean that it's the start of heartbreak for Seo-jun as well😳😢?
朱靜和修豪德雙方戀愛終於開始🥰🥰
是不是也是書竣心碎的開始呢 😳😢?

Like @JenL i am also reading thru the webtoon app. And I stopped reading it until Suho - jugyeong will happen there. 

Apparently some of the scenes in the webtoon (Jugyeong-SeoJoon) were modified to Jugyeong-Suho instead. 

And TrueBeautyEp9 is trending on twitter because of those changes. I can't blame the team seojoon fans. But with the casting, I guess we can have a team suho as the end game or the writer will have an open ending instead, while the webtoon is still on going. 

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Plop Cat GIFs | Tenor

1 minute ago, bluepebbles said:

Like @JenL i am also reading thru the webtoon app. And I stopped reading it until Suho - jugyeong will happen there. 

Apparently some of the scenes in the webtoon (Jugyeong-SeoJoon) were modified to Jugyeong-Suho instead. 

And TrueBeautyEp9 is trending on twitter because of those changes. I can't blame the team seojoon fans. But with the casting, I guess we can have a team suho as the end game or the writer will have an open ending instead, while the webtoon is still on going. 

2 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

@bluepebbles Ohhhh that'd anger Team SJ, wouldn't it?

I haven't seen the latest episode as yet. Will play catch up tonight.

Yeah, I guess it's a funny one. In the webtoon (at least in what's been released for free), JK dates SJ first because SH goes away to Japan due to his dad getting sick and stops contacting her (the usual noble idiocy reason) and so naturally after a few years SJ gets the courage to make a move and she grows to like him...But it's clear that SH is her first love and they have chemistry and will end up together forever...I also think SJ will be painted as a jerk in the end because he'll have to choose between becoming an idol (his life's dream) and JK...He can't have both and he'll probably end up hurting her multiple times by trying to keep both things in his life etc etc. :shocked: Just my speculation as the story hasn't finished, but it's quite cliche...But still some crazy fans might say SJ is the one she ends up with and ignore SH.

I'm not sure what is worse for those rabid SJ fans....if the drama followed the comics, sure they'd date, but then later they'll break up and he could be painted in a less than ideal light....or they change the story for the drama and SJ remains loveable, but they never date and you have to deal with SLS (but at least there's no break up!) :idk: 

I love SJ more in the drama, but I'm glad I'm not too invested in this love triangle. Too painful when you care too much :laugh:

• Haha 2

Hallelujah episode 9 is back to being fun to watch. It's also an episode I was so happy to see more expression from Suho (he's happy, he's loving and spoiling Joo Kyung etc) and also an episode I really like Seo Joon.

I didn't particularly like the scene where Joo Kyung was avoiding to be seen with Suho in public. That was such a deja vu scene because My ID is Gangnam Beauty had already done that.

Sadly too that the love-love scenes between the lovebirds didn't last very long in episode 10 with Soo Jin's sabotage and Seo Joon being around Joo Kyung. Both sides were reluctant to tell each other the truth about SJ x 2 liking them.

I like that the drama did not make Seo Joon become an annoying second male lead like MTF. However I'm disappointed that Soo Jin turned into that conniving b* I wished she wouldn't. She's totally manipulating Joo Kyung and making very good use of that "Best Friend" card it's disgusting me.

Although it's cliche, but I like that Suho's backstory with Seo Joon and Se Yeon is going to be revealed completely next week. I'm also looking forward to that confrontation scene - oh yes, give me some Suho pain. Although I'm in support of the main OTP, I really like Seo Joon's good nature/heart so :hearties: for Seo Joon. He will find his own well-deserved happiness. :btslove:

P.S. Oooh I'm impressed the boys know how to wrap mandu! Brownie points in Oppa list.

Vlog

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 1

Episode 9 & 10

- Upon a second watch of the kiss scene at the start of episode 9, I didn't think it wasn't as bad. To be honest, I felt like this kiss was better than the one in Run On except that Run On set a better tone for a peck kiss to be acceptable :idk:

-I was surprised they choose to reveal JK's bare face secret to SJin since the webtoon has her secret safe and sound to everyone except SH and SJ (who obviously don't care about her bare face) ...but I guess they needed to give her the power to be evil. And now it looks like it'll actually happen since Sjin also has a crush on SH and is clearly competitive and jealous about it :shocked:

-Selena - this is a definitely a big change to the webtoon (unless revealed later in the drama)...but in the webtoon, Selena is SH's sister! :thinking:

-Plenty of cute moments between JK x SJ. I thought the photoshoot between JK x SJ was super cute. Haha, that cliche thing about "Being a man" was actually cutely handled by MGY's version of JK being totally clueless. But damn those couch photos were very pretty and tension filled...SJ sure knows the moves :BulbaOWO::SquirtleNiceAhah::hearties:  And the way he ran to her when she got injured at the cafe! :heart: I did think HIY and MGY had better chemistry in the photoshoot before the show started, but it's probably because they're from the same agency. 

- Also a lot of cute JK x SH moments though: Karate scene and then the date at SH's house after her clothes get splashed. Heh, it was cute that SH was so jumpy about horror movies...and then when JK's dad reached out from under the table, I laughed that he had his leg curled around JK! :lol:

-JK's dad is totally irritating though. Like who stays at someone's house and drink their finest alcohol and sneaks pizza out of the box when they're hiding out the table?? :pandarage2: His character doesn't exist in the webtoon from memory though?

-That manju making scene was just so damn hilarious!! I couldn't stop laughing at how ridiculously exaggerated they made both guys' manju making skills and how they sped up their competitive dough rolling scene. The manjus did look good though :SquirtleNiceAhah:

-Second leads: I'm loving how SJ does follow his character in the webtoon in that even if he liked JK, he doesn't do anything out of line to really force her apart from SH and he understands her so well of course with her SJin situation. :wow: Even though SJin is quite different to the character in the webtoon, it looks like they have decided to make her bad which follows the webtoon where she secretly looks down on JK.

-The sister's storyline is so much more interesting in the drama and I'm really liking her character and how she's always cornering her school teacher and making him blush...but she's also trying to find justice for SJ and SH's friend. :CharmanderYay:

-Car accident with both of them!! :lettalKWA: I think only SH was in hospital in the webtoon, but they'll include the same scene where they make up from this point onwards....but it looks sad that JK will mostly be by SH's side rather than SJ's :letalQQ:

On 1/16/2021 at 12:46 AM, mademoiselle said:

I like that the drama did not make Seo Joon become an annoying second male lead like MTF. However I'm disappointed that Soo Jin turned into that conniving b* I wished she wouldn't. She's totally manipulating Joo Kyung and making very good use of that "Best Friend" card it's disgusting me.

Not surprised about SJin due to her character trajectory in the webtoon, though I guess they held out on it for many episodes and made her genuinely JK's friend before turning her into a scheming SL, which in some ways is worse. In the webtoon, she's like another influencer who befriends JK, but secretly looks down on her and thinks she's less pretty than herself or something like that. :HaunterOK:

It's kind of a bit disappointing that often in dramas with SLs the second lead guy will be made to look like a hero that got snubbed, but a second lead  female tends to be quite mean when subbed? So sexist...why can't the second lead female just be sad but not scheming, but then find something else/ someone else to focus on? :idk:

• Like 3