Jirisan 지리산 [2021]

stroppyse

The 2nd part of Jun Jihyun's interview... describing the challenges of filming Jirisan. It's ironic how she described filming at the production set being tougher than outdoors. 

• Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 2

Signal, Thank You, Missing:The Other Side, Children of Nobody, Misaeng, Tree with Deep Roots, Story of a Man

步步惊心, 长相思, 琅琊榜之风起长林, 平凡的荣耀, 大鱼海棠, 九州缥缈录, 风声, 剑雨

Ice Kacang Puppy Love, Garden of Evening Mists

Mother, 空から降る一億の星, Ouroboros

@Chocolate Thank you for the sneak peek. Looks like PIH is in Capt. Jo's confidence. Wonder why he never confided in JGY... did he suspect him, or did not want to burden him after a potential incident that befell LYS? Thank goodness it's Saturday :laugh:

• Haha 3

Signal, Thank You, Missing:The Other Side, Children of Nobody, Misaeng, Tree with Deep Roots, Story of a Man

Sighting of my favourite suspect among the photos from Ep11! :lenny:

Jun Ji Hyun Searches For The Murderer In Her Midst On “Jirisan”

Jun Ji Hyun Searches For The Murderer In Her Midst On “Jirisan”

Nov 27, 2021
by E. Cha

tvN’s “Jirisan” has shared a sneak peek of its upcoming episode!

Penned by “Kingdom” writer Kim Eun Hee, “Jirisan” is a mystery drama starring Jun Ji Hyun as Seo Yi Kang, a top ranger at Mount Jiri National Park, and Joo Ji Hoon as her rookie partner Kang Hyun Jo, who is hiding a supernatural secret. Together, the two rangers begin to uncover the truth behind mysterious accidents that occur on the mountain.

Spoilers

In newly released stills from the drama’s next episode, Seo Yi Kang has a tense meeting with Jo Dae Jin (played by Sung Dong Il), who is locked up in a holding cell at the police station. While Jo Dae Jin once seemed more trustworthy than anyone as the rangers’ dependable leader, he unexpectedly became the prime suspect in Lee Da Won (Go Min Si)’s murder after it came to light that they crossed paths shortly before her death.

On the previous episode of “Jirisan,” Seo Yi Kang exploded at Jo Dae Jin as she asked him if he was also responsible for what happened to Kang Hyun Jo. In the new photos, Seo Yi Kang’s eyes remain cold as she gazes frostily at Jo Dae Jin, raising the question of whether the two longtime colleagues will be able to rebuild the shattered trust between them.

Spoiler

Sung-Dong-Il.jpegJun-Ji-Hyun3.jpeg

Meanwhile, other photos capture the now grave atmosphere at the rangers’ headquarters, with Jung Goo Young (Oh Jung Se), Park Il Hae (Jo Han Chul), and Seo Yi Kang sitting together in uncomfortable silence.

Jirisan2.jpeg

Spoiler

Oh-Jung-Se1.jpegJo-Han-Chul1.jpeg

At the end of the latest episode of “Jirisan,” viewers were shocked to learn that Kim Sol (Lee Ga Seob) was actually the son of the late mayor of Black Bridge Village. Although it was always clear that Kim Sol knew a great deal about the mountain, nothing about the character had suggested that he had such a tragic past.

In a final photo from the upcoming episode, Kim Sol approaches Seo Yi Kang with a stiff expression, while the ranger looks warily up at him.

Jun-Ji-Hyun-Lee-Ga-Seob.jpeg

cr. Soompi

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

@Chocolate For all we know, your favourite suspect and mine might be in cahorts! :laugh: Or or... JGY might be lying about his age, and is actually the 1991 killer with bear-charming powers! :shocked2: 

• Haha 3

An episode that answers one question and prompts so many more.

Based on KHJ's findings thus far, the victims are linked to the 1995 Dowon Valley flood. The 3 volunteer rangers were evacuated from the floods along with 3 students and Capt. Jo. We also finally understand Sgt. Kim's ties to Mt. Jiri, being the son of the ranger who lost his life in Mujin station at the time, along with SYG's parents and an elderly couple. Assuming the killings were linked to the flood, it does not explain why victims and evacuees were targeted. Not does it account for Seo Geum-ja, Granny Geum-rye or LYS, unless they were somehow related to either the students who survived, or the elderly couple who perished. Currently, I am still more inclined to believe the killings stemmed from the 1991 Black Bridge Valley incident, but I can't see any link between the deceased ranger KNS and that incident, though he certainly could have been old enough to potentially be the 1991 perpetrator, being 35 at the time. The elderly couple Lee Hyun-sik and Jeong Mi-ja left a final message for their children Won-sik and Won-jae. So far, with the exception of LYS and volunteer ranger Lee Jong-gu, there is no one else by the surname of very common surname of Lee. Is LYS related to this couple somehow? Also, if indeed the Dowon Valley flood is the root cause, then it would mean SYG and Capt. Jo could very well be on the list of victims.

We know that KHJ was the killer's intended victim. I wonder whether he meant to kill SYG as well when he found her in the cave after attacking KHJ, and was only foiled when he heard the rangers calling her name? Was the trekking pole then meant as a trap for KHJ only, seeing he was the one who went up the mountains first, only to be followed by her later.

SYG's internal monologue is heartbreaking, now that KHJ's condition has deteriorated to the point where it is only a matter of time before his family pulls the plug - her intensified desperation to catch the killer in hopes that his spirit will be free to return; and the aching hope that if she died in the process, she would be able to see him and hear what he had not finished saying, tell him what she had not been able to say. A telling insight into her state of mind who only go to all lengths, if only to see him once more. 

In present day, SYG and PIH are clearly suspicious of JGY, who was on the mountains the day LDW went missing. Interestingly. Kim Sol was the one who gave SYG the idea that anyone who was a ranger could have easily taken Capt. Jo's gloves. If he was the killer, is his intention really to clear Capt. Jo's name and throw suspicion on another ranger? If so, why plant the gloves in the first place? Is it to temporarily incarcerate Capt. Jo who is clearly on his trail, yet not willing to do him actual harm? We are definitely seeing far more of Kim Sol, be it in the past or present day. I do not know whether there is any significance in Gwigam Rock at the temple where he met SYG, and if his leading question was referring to her parents' demise during the 1995 flood. Am I over-thinking it?

While on the topic of SYG's parents, I also don't understand why they refused to leave a message for her when everyone else did. There was clearly some disagreement between her and her father, presumably just before the flood, but I can't believe that they would deliberately leave her bereaved without a final word. So what exactly happened? Would SYG finally be able to find a message they left behind, which had been overlooked earlier?

Lastly, who is the mysterious hiker at Baektogol and what is his purpose there? Was he the one grinning sinisterly at the lottery girl (Choi Heewon, according to Asianwiki) in the Ep12 preview? Speaking of the lottery girl, are we really to believe that she might have found the ticket still intact despite being exposed to the elements for months prior? From the same preview, I am also very afraid that tomorrow we will see LYS, who is not as physically fit as the rest of the rangers, perish in the 2019 flood. 

Unfortunately, we are still no closer to knowing anything about the bears or the 1991 killer. Perhaps KEH will be kind enough to answer it tomorrow, @Chocolate?  However, as of now, SYG and PIH have joined you in giving JGY the evil eye, while nobody in present day or the past appears to be suspecting Kim Sol yet... gah!

Edited by liddi
  • Clapping Hands 3

Joo Ji Hoon Comforts Jun Ji Hyun As She Suffers From Personal Struggles In “Jirisan”

Joo Ji Hoon Comforts Jun Ji Hyun As She Suffers From Personal Struggles In “Jirisan”

Nov 28, 2021
by U. Kim

Jun Ji Hyun will have a hard time during a rescue mission due to a resurfacing trauma in tvN’s “Jirisan.”

Penned by “Kingdom” writer Kim Eun Hee, “Jirisan” is a mystery drama starring Jun Ji Hyun as Seo Yi Kang, a top ranger at Mount Jiri National Park, and Joo Ji Hoon as her rookie partner Kang Hyun Jo, who is hiding a supernatural secret. Together, the two rangers begin to uncover the truth behind mysterious accidents that occur on the mountain.

Spoilers

The previous episode saw the rangers warning the mountain’s visitors about local downpours that are hard to forecast. In the ending, all of the sirens on the mountain went off and signaled the arrival of heavy rain. The rangers are now tasked with bringing the visitors safely back to the bottom of the mountain.

In new stills, Seo Yi Kang and Kang Hyun Jo give off a somewhat different air from usual. Carrying heavy rescue equipment in their backpacks, the two have headed out into the pouring rain to rescue the visitors. The rangers take refuge in a cave, with the normally strong-willed Seo Yi Kang sitting on the ground helplessly and even showing tears. It turns out that the heavy downpour is reminding her of the flood at a stream that took her parents’ lives. Thankfully, she has her partner Kang Hyun Jo by her side. Seeming to understand her feelings, he softly pats her on the shoulder.

jun-ji-hyun4.jpegjoo-ji-hoon4.jpeg

Spoiler

joo-ji-hoon-jun-ji-hyun1.jpegjoo-ji-hoon-jun-ji-hyun-21.jpeg

The production team of “Jirisan” explained, “If the previous episodes showed the national park rangers’ burning sense of duty through the story of wildfires, we will be dealing with water-related disasters that often happen in the summer. Viewers will get to see the meaningful story of how rangers have carried out rescue missions during the real water-related disasters that many have heard of.”

cr. Soompi

• Like 3

Although I am glad that someone thinks like me that GY may be the one, when it comes up so blatantly, it usually means it is not true. Sigh, anyway, can you imagine this guy a killer? (I really want that eggdrop sandwich though 😭). Likely the reason he went up the mountain the day Da Won died has something to do with Yang Sun.

It took me 3 hours to watch last night's episode! Maybe because so many people were logging in or something, the stream played 5s then buffered for 10s! So let's go with something light for now haha. My head's going bonkus thinking how the flood is related to the cable car village.

:lol:

She's so tall this piggy back looked quite awkward. Most girl's head would be next to the guy's, but JJHs was one head above OJS haha.

img.gif

Source: silvertrhee

Edited by Chocolate
  • Haha 3

Ep12 dispels some preconceived notions while throwing red herrings in the form of the black-gloved hiker at Baektogol, introducing potential new suspects and reinforcing suspicions on existing ones.

From YGT's fervent protests, it appears that the one who contaminated the well at Black Bridge Valley, attacked Kim Sol's mother and very possibly father, was not YGT after all. Nor is it ex-chief Kim who was still accusing YGT of the crimes in 2019. With the suspect pool shrunk drastically, who else have we met so far that is old enough to have been the perpetrator? I am also stumped for reasons why the person would have started the attacks, unless he too stood to gain from the demolition of Black Bridge village. Apart from LYS' grandfather (based solely on age), my suspicions now find a new target in the apparently innocuous driver who helped SYG's grandmother bring food to the rangers, simply because we have some unusually lingering shots of him when there is no reason for it. Grasping at straws much? :nervous:

It is possible that LYS was an intended victim all along, not someone LSW added independently, and whatever has befallen her was no accident but a targeted attack from the killer, this time hooded with his trademark black gloves. Then again, the preview shows the killer wearing a ranger uniform and directing the bus SYG's grandma is on, which then appears to be headed towards danger. 

If so, was the intended victim SYG's grandma, not LYS after all? That would explain why SYG left after that incident, being unable to face the mountain which has claimed yet another of her loved ones. However, how did the killer know her grandma was on the bus when she came via van, unless he saw her? By the same token, if the intended victim was LYS, I would like to know how the killer knew where LYS was, to have been able to go after her the way he did. Was it through the ranger walkie-talkie, which would all be tuned to the same channel? Either way, evidence appears damning for my favourite suspect, being the only person who was not involved in the search and rescue efforts and unaccounted for at the temporary control station. If Ep13 preview is to be believed, the killer was wearing a ranger uniform at the time, something we've seen Kim Sol wear often enough throughout the drama. Is KHJ now re-evaluating his theory that the killings are tied to the 1995 Dowon valley floods after learning from the hiker that the volunteer rangers did not have a falling out? I am still unconvinced it has to do with the floods, especially since Kim Sol is once again the most likely suspect. Nonetheless, SYG's grandma being a victim would fit in with those related to the ones who perished in the 1995 floods. Was LYS then related to the elderly couple who died? 

I am glad that the narrative took the time to bring us through SYG's inner torment with regards to her parents, allowing us insight into her pain. Crushed for so long by the guilt that her parents might have chosen to die after being financially compromised so that she could benefit from their insurance, the mountain finally brought healing both to SYG and the hiker at Baektogol who himself found the will to live after remembering the words of her father. And I teared up along with her as she confessed her pent-up fears to KHJ, finding closure at long last, and reaching a turning point in her own life.

The last mystery I want solved. What kind of paper is the lottery ticket printed on, to be able to survive such harsh terrain and elements over such a long period of time! Whatever it is, I can definitely make a killing selling it!

Edited by liddi
  • Haha 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

The MV for OST Part 8 "Little Garden" is released.

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 1

@Chocolate Thank you for the sneak peek! So KHJ was investigating into the Black Bridge village incident as well. Still, why so stingy with the 1991 details. Guess we'll have to watch Ep13 to find out more! Thank goodness it's Saturday morning :laugh:

Little Garden extended drama version MV:

Memories studio live version

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Recently released stills... KHJ is approaching Choi Il-man's wife... wonder if that is the reason he started investigating the 1991 events in Black Bridge valley?

• Like 3

I cried so much this episode because of JGY... He can’t be the mystery guy. Crossed him out already. What happened to LYS was simply an accident. Very tempted to blame the lottery girl, but I guess it also wasn’t her fault? 2019 was indeed the summer with many sad things. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

What a devastating episode to sit through... the tears that won't stop flowing as we watch tragedy after tragedy unfold - LYS swept away by the rapids, JGY's desperate attempts to locate her and his anguished cries when he was forcibly held back, the moment SYG's grandma closes her eyes in resignation as the van slides into the river. And it doesn't stop there. JGY's dazed look knowing that the search for LYS has been called off, SYG's grandma's disappointment that she did not even take a photo with her during her graduation before running off the Seoul, SYG's grief as she prepares the ritual table for grandma, JGY's silent tears from PIH's tribute to LYS who embodied the true spirit of a ranger.... shattered my heart, leaving me a sobbing mess. Then just when I have just barely recovered, JGY laying fresh posies on wilted ones at their picnic site, reminiscing about the woman he still cherishes, had me in tears once more. And the greatest tragedy is that those who perished in the van were never the intended victims, but simply at the wrong place at the wrong time, boarding the van that YGT should have been on. 

It is now confirmed that the killings are tied to Black Bridge village - all the residents who migrated and YGT whose cable car plans set off the series of tragedies that befell them.

Migration list
1. Choi Il-man                  volunteer ranger   (victim #6)
2. Lee Jong-gu                 volunteer ranger   (victim #3)
3. Kim Jin-deok                volunteer ranger   (victim #4)
4. Kim Nam-sik                 ranger                  (son Sgt. Kim was victim #1)
5. Lee Jae-geun               LYS's grandpa         (LYS was attempted victim #7)
6. Seo Geum-ja               (victim #2)
7. Granny Geum-rye        (victim #5)
8. Heo Jin-ok                   lady hiker
9. Hwang Gil-yong            volunteer ranger   (attempted victim at Jeonmukgol)
10. Jang Hak-su               volunteer ranger    (died at Mujin valley)
11. Kim Seong-guk            herb collector  (attempted victim at Sumgol Rock?)
12. Choi Sang-gyeong       (related to Choi Gi-yeong who died in Oerae valley Mar 2020?)
13. ??

Based on the migration list, as of Ep13 past and present timelines, we already know that 7 are dead while 2 had attempts on their lives. That leaves 3 more unaccounted for - the lady hiker, Kim Seong-guk and Choi Sang-gyeong. From the looks of it, the lady hiker will be next, since she has been lured to Black Bridge village at 3PM that same day. Will KHJ manage to save her in time?  

Also, from the preview and KHJ's visions, the herb collector who had cheated death thus far but saw KHJ's spirit again recently will be the next victim in the present timeline. The Choi Gi-yeong whom PIH mentioned had died in Oerae valley Mar 2020, should be related to Choi Sang-gyeong. In which case, the herb collector is, or is related to Kim Seong-guk.

If my deductions are correct, we are left with only Kim Sol, who has already admitted that he was from Black Bridge village. Judging from the red backpack strap, KHJ's vision seems to indicate that Kim Sol is the one who will attack the lady hiker. He is also the one person outside of the core ranger team, who is seen wearing a watch, like the killer who planted the herb in KHJ's vision in present day. In addition, he was wearing similar dark pants to the killer the day the van was misdirected, all of which appear very damning for him. Still, in the preview, he continues to harp about the ghostly lights. Why? 

Spoiler

ImageImageImage

Still, I wonder why the list had a #13, but no name assigned to it. Is there one more person, who had some time or rather, deliberately removed his/her name to hide his origins? If so, could it be Officer Kim, who is seen behaving very suspiciously in the preview? Yet, he was the one who alerted KHJ to the misdirection of the van in the first place, so is he just another red herring?

Like Signal, Ep13 is the most heartbreaking in Jirisan to date, and I am afraid that this is not the last of it. I now know too why Oh Jung-se was cast in the seemingly innocuous, lightweight role of JGY... his portrayal of JGY's range of emotions is nothing short of phenomenal. Standing ovation.

Edited by liddi
  • Star Struck 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

Ep14 sneak peek is out!

SYG can see KHJ's spirit... does it mean she will be targeted again soon? And KHJ reveals the killer is Officer Kim. :shocked2: How? Why? Is he possibly Kim Sol's older sibling from Black Bridge village, and they are working in tandem? Or is he working alone, and Kim Sol is just a red herring?  Yet his parents were clearly alive in 2002 during his graduation, unless he was adopted after 1991. If so, he should be one of the children in the photo from Back Bridge village - is he the oldest boy there?

There is also prolonged focus to a handphone with a butterfly sticker which KHJ retrieved from the river. Based on the preview, an item from the lost articles storage went missing - was it this handphone? What is its significance? I don't recall seeing anyone use it so far...

Edited by liddi
  • Like 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

@ktcjdrama Thank you for sharing the soundtrack. One more to go...

@Chocolate @ktcjdrama The sneak peek is definitely a shocking reveal... am actually really surprised they would actually show such a pertinent piece of information even before the episode airs. Still think it's either a red herring, or Officer Kim is working alongside my favourite suspect. Someone also noted on twitter how from Ep14 preview, the killer has a mole near the right ear similar to Kim Sol, which Officer Kim does not. 

Have anyone found differences between iQIYI English subs and C-subs? I initially thought that the missing items from the lost articles storage referred to those they retrieved from the river after the flood. However, based on C-subs, it appears to refer to the killer's trophies which were previously recovered from Black Bridge Valley Shelter:

沒有人拿了避難所裡的遺失物品。是兇手拿走的

No one took the lost items from the shelter. It was the killer who took them.

Either way, Officer Kim would have access to the storage, so did he take the items? 

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Hmm, can’t say I enjoyed ep.14. It’s a bit slow and definitely not helping with that cliffhanger of KHJ’s current condition 😓. I too find it difficult to accept the logic that KHJ was able to suddenly (out of desperation) pick up the walkie-talkie with his hands and talk to SYG. I know this is a supernatural genre after all, logic can be thrown out the window, but the show can still go the way of him using sticks and stones to make the walkie works...? 

• Like 2

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love