Jirisan 지리산 [2021]

stroppyse

i am getting intrigued gradually..... there are some budding feelings.... probably at this time more like Soonbae-Hoobae but i dont mind them seeing together..

the writer-nim as if wants us to doubt only the Head of The Branch Office Jo Dae-Jin and I think if it would be this easy then it will not be Kim Eun-Hee's writing..... she deliberately wants us to doubt him but there is more to it....

Last scene was much more interesting.//... Seo Yi Kang is trying to reach out Kang Do Yeon's Soul and maneuvering drone camera inside the forest...I think it will be interesting to watch how they send signal to each other ... how his soul comes back to his body or something... I don't know... are we going to see Kang Do Yeon dying in the end???? That would be tragic end.....

• Like 3
  • Clapping Hands 2

Currently watching

K-Drama :  

C-Drama :  Road Home

Ep5 is back in excellent form, holding me in its grip from beginning to end, running me through a gamut of emotions from shock to unbearable suspense, relief, tears and growing dread again.

Despite revealing the killer's identity and providing us with enough clues to correctly guess the identity of the person holding the 3 potato bombs, the script still manages to throw me off with the twists that ensued, grandpa's suspicious behaviour and the reveal of the real intended victim. I was terribly afraid during the desperate race against time to save the victim which intercuts with the killer's terrible languidness as he slowly waits for her to die, not knowing if this would be the moment KEH's death knell sounds for one of her main cast, and was so relieved when it hasn't.

LSW's list indicates that Sgt Kim was his first victim, and his cousin his latest. Does that mean that the murders started with Sgt Kim? We know that there is a shadowy mastermind behind him, and once again, the suspicion points to Capt. Jo who was not present when everyone else (including Park Il-hae and Officer Kim) was frantically trying to save Yangsun; was spotted in the mountains with the bloodied yellow ribbons near where LSW's body was found; and whose gloves (or at least ones similar to his) were seen crossing out Yangsun's name from the victim list and adding KHJ's. Is the red herring the real deal after all? Despite it being literally yelled in my face, I still hesitate to take it as face value, and am still waiting for the other shoe to drop. We know now that the mastermind himself wears the same gloves as Capt Jo. Are those standard issue? Yet which other ranger do we know of who doesn't already have an alibi, at least for this case. 

At this point in time, we are no closer to understanding how the victims are chosen. Was it jointly agreed upon by both killers? If so, why was Sgt Kim the first victim? We know that this was Sgt Kim's hometown, so did it have to do with some personal grievance one or both of them had against him? While the rest appear to be illegal hikers, Yangsun certainly was not, but deliberately lured into the mountains. Was she LSW's choice because he resented her having a family which he did not? There are no answers yet. I cannot help but wonder if there are really only 7 victims as per his list, or are there others committed personally by the mastermind, thus not included here. Are the future murders still a joint effort, and the mastermind had successfully recruited yet another accomplice? I cannot imagine one man being able to take down both KHJ and SYG on the snow-capped mountains alone. Speaking of which, the preview bringing us to winter and snowy mountains had me in dread for a moment, until I remembered that we are still in year 2018, and KHJ was attacked Dec 20, 2019, so we still have about a year's reprieve.

The last 3 mins had me in tears... the moment Kim Jongwan's "Falling" played as the drone flew over Mt Jiri, seeing KHJ roaming the expanse of the mountains, still faithfully placing the markers even as his own spirit is trapped, unable to leave, hitting even harder as we see his tears, driving home the desperate loneliness of his existence. And SYG's aching monologue... hinting at words unspoken, which may never be spoken if she never gets to see him again hurts so much, as we are finally beginning to realise what he has come to mean to her. That last scene, her starting at the glitches on the screen, to the growing disbelief in her eyes, gives birth to stirrings of hope that perhaps at last, at long last, her wish was granted and she could see him once more. The montage that follows of their scenes together, scenes past and scenes to come, just drives home all that was gained and lost, and the unbearable implications if KHJ can never be free to leave the mountain, just as she can never enter it again. Tears.

Edited by liddi
  • Awesome 2
  • Clapping Hands 3

Signal, Thank You, Missing:The Other Side, Children of Nobody, Misaeng, Tree with Deep Roots, Story of a Man

步步惊心, 长相思, 琅琊榜之风起长林, 平凡的荣耀, 大鱼海棠, 九州缥缈录, 风声, 剑雨

Ice Kacang Puppy Love, Garden of Evening Mists

Mother, 空から降る一億の星, Ouroboros

8 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

So these are two separate/ distinct cases right ? The yoghurt drink poisoning and the potato bomb.

It turned out that these two are done by the same person/mastermind. 

@liddi love your post above.

Anyone else feeling so anxious watching how they handle the potato bomb?? I was like, get some protective gear first, guys!... First, YK took it bare hands, then she brought it to where the others were and passed it to JGY, meaning another movement of the bomb. Then, JGY who was holding it asked a shaken YS to hold on to him as they make their way out. Then, they took the bomb with them in the car... :pandascared:

• Insightful 1
  • Haha 2
  • Clapping Hands 1

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

@abs-oluteM The montage is more bittersweet for me because we know where they are now. But yes, it hints so much to the evolving relationship between them both in the months leading up to that day on the snowy mountain. The only thing that feels jarring from the montage is the one overlooking the sea, because from the preview, it appears to be (I presume) her 1st love at age 24, not KHJ. And I am concerned from the same preview, as it mentions a wanted criminal, whom presumably SYG knows, and by the looks of it, is in danger from.

@ktcjdrama You and me both about their handling of the potato bomb. I am guessing they dare not risk leaving it behind, knowing it is being deliberately planted, but the risk taken to transport it left me in a cold sweat.

@movingwheel The brief snippet of "Yours" is so evocative and beautifully complements the poignant montage. Can't wait to hear the full version when it drops tomorrow and know what the lyrics say.

Likewise, I feel that Kim Jongwan's "Falling" is such a perfect fit for that final scene, and the lyrics just breaks my heart even more. Not for the first time in a KEH drama, I am so afraid that she will break my heart in the end, though I cling to her promise that this is a healing drama. Please be kind, KEH-nim...

• Like 1
  • Insightful 2
  • Clapping Hands 2

Signal, Thank You, Missing:The Other Side, Children of Nobody, Misaeng, Tree with Deep Roots, Story of a Man

@Chocolate Thank you for the sneak peek. Looks like the photo taken by JGY would be the one SYG showed the herb collector in the hospital... Poor JGY is clearly still stumped for ideas... Penguin Swimming Festival in the winter sea not much of an improvement from the Mud Festival! :laugh: Hopefully one day his persistence pays off though I am suddenly afraid, because in 2020, there is no sign of Yangsun, and there was a footage from the highlight video where we see his devastation, which could mean that she did not survive to present day?

• Like 1
  • Insightful 2
  • Haha 1

Terrifying Events Befall Jun Ji Hyun And Joo Ji Hoon In “Jirisan”

Nov 7, 2021 by S. P

tvN’s “Jirisan” is approaching a pivotal moment in the upcoming episode!

Penned by “Kingdom” writer Kim Eun Hee, “Jirisan” is a mystery drama starring Jun Ji Hyun as Seo Yi Kang, a top ranger at Mount Jiri National Park, and Joo Ji Hoon as her rookie partner Kang Hyun Jo, who is hiding an unspeakable secret. The drama follows the story that unfolds as the two rangers begin to uncover the truth behind mysterious accidents that occur on the mountain.

Spoilers

Two years earlier, the murderer Lee Se Wook (Yoon Ji On) met his end on the mountain after a series of attacks where he had killed people with poisoned drinks and bombs fashioned from potatoes. However, Seo Yi Kang is continuing her search for the real killer as people are still dying two years later. Viewers’ curiosity is mounting over the unresolved mystery.

The newly released stills hint at an unexpected accident involving the team of rangers. One still shows Jung Goo Young (Oh Jung Se) collapsed on the ground with blood running down his face and his dropped flashlight still turned on, evidence that he has suffered some sort of sudden attack.

Oh-Jung-Se.jpeg

Furthermore, the usually sharp-eyed Seo Yi Kang seems to be startled as she looks fearfully at something, with another still showing her collapsed against a bookshelf. Left alone, Kang Hyun Jo holds a walkie-talkie and raises his eyebrows in a seemingly deliberate surprised expression.

Jun-Ji-Hyun1.jpegJun-Ji-Hyun-1.jpegJoo-Ji-Hoon1.jpeg

The drama’s production team commented, “There are plenty of completely unexpected moments and incidents in today’s episode. In addition to the intriguing storyline, it will be full of unusual sights as well. Please look forward to it.”

Source

• Like 4
On 11/6/2021 at 3:55 PM, abs-oluteM said:

I thought it interesting that the drama would reveal JJH's face as the ghost that wonders through Jirisan in 2020 so early in the show. Thought they would have at least given us more suspense there.

Yes, in that sense, the pace is quite "fast" (not thrilling high octane kind, but it is moving along nicely. I remember for Kingdom, it also took me about 3 episodes to sink into the story. Good thing S2 was already available then lol). It reveals the clues/hints in one episode, and the revelation is in the next. Then another mystery is revealed in the next episode and so on. There's always something new to keep you guessing.

This is probably an unpopular opinion, but I feel Jun Ji Hyun is the weakest one here. I recognise that she has a unique style and stands out from a lot of the other korean actresses. I've only seen 2 of her dramas and 1 movie but quirky/comedic roles seem to suit her better. Here, most of the time, she is trying to be serious, it's weird to watch. It's like she is expressionless. Wondering if it's only me who thinks this way...

18 hours ago, liddi said:

We know that there is a shadowy mastermind behind him, and once again, the suspicion points to Capt. Jo who was not present when everyone else (including Park Il-hae and Officer Kim) was frantically trying to save Yangsun; was spotted in the mountains with the bloodied yellow ribbons near where LSW's body was found; and whose gloves (or at least ones similar to his) were seen crossing out Yangsun's name from the victim list and adding KHJ's. Is the red herring the real deal after all? Despite it being literally yelled in my face, I still hesitate to take it as face value, and am still waiting for the other shoe to drop. We know now that the mastermind himself wears the same gloves as Capt Jo. Are those standard issue? Yet which other ranger do we know of who doesn't already have an alibi, at least for this case. 

Liddi, that's an awesome post. You absorb so much and are able to write it all out so coherently. Reading your thoughts really helps to increase my own understanding of the episode and what's to come.

I think it is safe to say that Chief Jo is not the mastermind. It's too in your face. Instead, I think he is aware that there is a killer and may also be in the hunt. That's why he is trying to send Yi Kang away - to protect her. It is more likely that he has been going around untying the yellow ribbons so that hikers are not misled. The ribbons he is holding and those in his drawer are old/used ribbon.

6 hours ago, liddi said:

Poor JGY is clearly still stumped for ideas... Penguin Swimming Festival in the winter sea not much of an improvement from the Mud Festival!

I laughed at that scene hahaha. What the h*** is that? Swimming in the winter sea like a penguin? That's not going to help win any woman lol.

Haven't had time to check out the special episode yet. Maybe later this week.

Edited by Chocolate
  • Like 1
  • Insightful 2
  • Clapping Hands 1
1 hour ago, movingwheel said:

The whole episode I waited for some development for both the leads.... rather we got the first love of Yi Gang.... No light on last epsiode's development either.... A bit disappointed...

😃 I am quite the opposite then... I rather like this less intense episode because we get to see some of the backstory of Yi Kang becoming a ranger and her early days. Not to mention getting a cameo in the form of Son Seok Koo. 

• Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 2

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

Ep6 is a shift in pace, a momentary respite with a leisurely walk down memory lane into SYG's past interspaced with the present threat ostentatiously from the person she loved. While the slowdown and Christmassy feels initially threw me off, I came to appreciate the deliberate dialing back of the episode.

By taking a step back, we take time to learn a little more about the characters apart from their jobs - the perseverance of a man in love finally paying off, a couple embarking on a budding relationship after so many missteps, a new father moved to tears at the first sight of his child. Their joy is infectious and moving, and I rejoiced along with them in their happiness. Likewise, SYG and KHJ's Christmas spent at Bidam Shelter, though cut short by sweet potato makgeolli and another rehash of her exploits from 6 years old onwards, enabled him to understand the real reason she could not bring herself to leave the mountain. However, we know that these are short-lived. The JGY of 2020 is markedly distant and hostile towards SYG, a far cry from the man we know, while we have not seen any sign of LYS and PIL, all of which makes me desperately afraid that either one or both of them failed to survive.

As for SYG's past, rather than the story of her first love, her job interview moves me immeasurably more, Capt Jo's wise words giving the aimless, hurting young woman purpose and healing... bringing her back where she belonged. In this one brief scene, we are privy to the kind of man Capt. Jo is - seeing beyond her bravado to the pain she never expressed, perceptively pinpointing the real reason she kept running away - not because she hated being stuck in that place, but because she feared seeing more lives claimed by the mountain she loved, just as it did her parents. He addressed her fears directly - offering her a lifeline that she should do what he failed to do for her parents in the past, and prevent her parents' fate from befalling anyone else on the mountain. And in doing so, SYG found her calling and renewed love for the mountains. This speaks volumes of the man, his obvious compassion and wisdom, and this one scene is far more effective in making me re-consider the suspicions that have been cast upon him over the past few episodes. Yet, we also see that 12 years hence, he is all alone during the Christmas season save for his ramyun and soju, a lonely figure bereft of family in his home. Was it always that way or did something happen to have triggered such a drastic change in him, if indeed he had changed? There is also the other possibility that Capt. Jo himself is aware of the killings and is either protecting the killer, or trying to stay one step ahead of him, such as removing the misleading ribbons before it guides another hapless hiker to their deaths. Questions questions.

KHJ has not had any visions in the two months after LSW's disappearance, whose body clearly had not been found during this time. Is the temporary lull due to the loss of the accomplice who has been effectively silenced, or is the mastermind just lying low until attention has shifted from the case? We know that the killings will start again, so either the mastermind recruited someone new by then, or personally took over.

The last question - who is the mysterious Seung A whom KHJ was supposed to have a Christmas date with? 

Totally unrelated to the plot, but the depiction of how the rangers go, often above and beyond the call of duty to save the lives under their care evokes so much respect and awe. JGY and SYG's protective stance over the cardiac arrest victim as the helicopter arrives is one such eloquent example without the need of an emotionally charged narrative, and I teared up watching it.

The episode ended on a warm, happy note for once, but as I should have expected, we are brought back to harsh reality with the preview for Ep7 that KHJ's physical body is failing, and may not have much time left. And my heart aches for them all over again.

The official MV for Jin's "Yours", including scenes yet unseen, promising more heartache down the road:

Edited by liddi
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

On 11/7/2021 at 2:37 AM, liddi said:

Is the red herring the real deal after all? Despite it being literally yelled in my face, I still hesitate to take it as face value, and am still waiting for the other shoe to drop. 

On 11/7/2021 at 9:27 PM, Chocolate said:

I think it is safe to say that Chief Jo is not the mastermind. It's too in your face. Instead, I think he is aware that there is a killer and may also be in the hunt. That's why he is trying to send Yi Kang away - to protect her. It is more likely that he has been going around untying the yellow ribbons so that hikers are not misled. The ribbons he is holding and those in his drawer are old/used ribbon.

This situation with Cat Jo is indeed 'confusing'. I strongly hope that he's not the mastermind nor he's the bad guy, because if it turns out that he actually is... I don't know.. I think I'll be quite disappointed that the mastermind has been revealed since early on :idk: 

I have the same thought as @Chocolate that it looks like Capt Jo was removing the yellow ribbons, and perhaps he already knew that there's this person who kept tying yellow ribbons to mislead ppl.

Ugh..isn't that annoying to see that the wife (whose husband died of the bomb in the restricted area) actually demanded that the park rangers continue to protect them from the unfortunate events when they all decide to still go catch snakes illegally in the restricted areas??!?!?!?!? 

Now I'm struggling with the many names presented in the last 2 eps :jinbtscry: I read the list of the intended victims and I already forget who they are (mostly)!! So now I'm just gonna rely on people's posts and recaps ahahahaha. It's interesting that it seems the mastermind isn't chasing to complete the 'job' - s/he's ok to cross Yang-Sun's name off the list and instead add Hyun Joo's name on it. 

On 11/8/2021 at 12:36 AM, movingwheel said:

The whole episode I waited for some development for both the leads.... rather we got the first love of Yi Gang.... No light on last epsiode's development either.... A bit disappointed...

I'm kinda with @movingwheel here. I actually ended up playing with my iPad more than when I was watching the other episodes. At the end of the episode, it did give me a warm feeling because I'm really happy that JGY and Yang Sun became a couple (they're really cute together :wow:), but the episode as of this moment feels a bit unnecessary to the plot development. UNLESS, later on they tie whatever information provided on this ep 6 to clues in the future eps. The other good thing about this ep 6 is I got to watch SON SUK KU!!! I liked him very much in the designated survivor but haven't really liked other dramas that he's in (and he's never really the main lead TT_TT). Here I got to see him again in a drama I like. Hope this ep isn't the last time we see him in Jirisan. 

For a moment, I thought the lottery girl became Lee Da Won the newbie ranger. It's just because when they shot the lottery girl with Hyun Joo in 2018, they shifted the shot to the flag...and then it turned to be 2020 with the same flag and then the shot shifted to Lee Da Won. Well.. unless the lottery girl changed name and face.. I don't think she's Lee Da Won after all. 

• Insightful 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

Currently watching: 1night2days s4; Arashi's Diary: Voyage; The Great Escape S4; The Soldiers

1 hour ago, SnowBlob said:

Now I'm struggling with the many names presented in the last 2 eps :jinbtscry: I read the list of the intended victims and I already forget who they are (mostly)!! So now I'm just gonna rely on people's posts and recaps ahahahaha. It's interesting that it seems the mastermind isn't chasing to complete the 'job' - s/he's ok to cross Yang-Sun's name off the list and instead add Hyun Joo's name on it. 

@SnowBlob Actually there was only 1 victim in Ep5 and none in Ep6, unless you were referring to LSW's list? We are only acquainted with 4 of the 7 that he listed - the 1st one being Sgt Kim who died from yoghurt poisoning, followed by 3 whose fate KHJ heard of in the news after Sgt Kim's passing. The last 3 are Granny Geum-rye, the herb collector who died due to the potato bomb, and Yangsun.

As for the mastermind crossing off Yangsun's name and adding KHJ's, it could be that she was already drawing too much attention and with LSW missing, the killer wanted to avoid alerting them to the fact that there is a second killer. Pure conjecture of course.

Interesting observation about the lottery girl. I am not quite convinced that she transformed herself into LDW within a year, but I do find it unusual that we have been seeing her at random places, which makes me suspect that we have not seen the last of her, and there is more to her than that meets the eye. Will she be a future victim, the latest murderous recruit, or just someone whose life is changed by the people she meets on the mountain? Or am I just overthinking it (as usual!). Time will tell.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Talking about the lottery girl, I wanted to comment but kept forgetting. It’s strange that she is still searching for that small piece of paper in the vast mountain. I mean, CMIIW, the lottery receipt is just a piece of thermal paper, isn’t it? What’s the chance of it surviving the elements out there after so many days...? 🤔🙄 I am overly careful person that I wouldn’t take out such important tiny piece of paper in open space, just as I wouldn’t be returning a ring to someone sitting on a wooden plank on top of a lake (from a recent drama). The chances of losing/dropping those things are extremely high 😆😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

MTDzeiV.gif

Thank you @liddi :taebtsthanks: Yes.. I meant LSW's list. I was only familiar with Grandma and then the last one Yang Sun (just by reading the names) and then I realised the first name was Hyun Ju's soldier friend from your post :pandahehe: And now thanks to you at least I knew who the rest of the people are hehehe. 

I'm afraid that 'usual' kdramas would make this lottery girl encounter something bad since she's been shown again and again. @ktcjdrama yes to me she's a bit strange.. not just her action..but even her face (and ok I'm no commenting the actress' actual face), it gives off like 'off' feeling. But would you keep searching for that lottery ticket though if somehow you did drop it and it was blown by the wind? 

• Haha 3

Currently watching: 1night2days s4; Arashi's Diary: Voyage; The Great Escape S4; The Soldiers

2 hours ago, SnowBlob said:

But would you keep searching for that lottery ticket though if somehow you did drop it and it was blown by the wind? 

I did think about it. And no I wouldn’t keep searching for it for days until up the mountain top. Yes for the area near the cabin they rested at, but for a limited radius only, and I would’ve researched the wind direction, bodies of water, etc.etc, and armed myself with a map.... Okay, this is getting too complicated, haha... No, I wouldn’t. Searching the mountain is like trying to find a needle in a haystack (and this actually is easier, lol). If it left my hand somehow, it’s probably not meant to be mine. But you see, I wouldn’t be taking it out at a windy place in the first place. And I definitely wouldn’t scream out for people around me to find out and go searching as well. Lesson learned: Always put your lottery paper in a transparent mini plastic folder. Easy to check, waterproof and wind proof. Okay, I should stop here with my nonsense 😆

• Haha 3

MTDzeiV.gif

On 11/7/2021 at 12:23 PM, liddi said:

Hopefully one day his persistence pays off though I am suddenly afraid, because in 2020, there is no sign of Yangsun, and there was a footage from the highlight video where we see his devastation, which could mean that she did not survive to present day?

I think so too because in 2020, he is quite surly.

14 hours ago, liddi said:

The last question - who is the mysterious Seung A whom KHJ was supposed to have a Christmas date with? 

Haha, some would say what's more important is that in Dec 2018, he gave up his plans and decided to spend Christmas with Yi Kang on the mountain working!

8 hours ago, SnowBlob said:

Ugh..isn't that annoying to see that the wife (whose husband died of the bomb in the restricted area) actually demanded that the park rangers continue to protect them from the unfortunate events when they all decide to still go catch snakes illegally in the restricted areas??!?!?!?!? 

Yes, very annoying. They blame everyone else but themselves. There's no reasoning with them.

8 hours ago, SnowBlob said:

I'm kinda with @movingwheel here. I actually ended up playing with my iPad more than when I was watching the other episodes. At the end of the episode, it did give me a warm feeling because I'm really happy that JGY and Yang Sun became a couple (they're really cute together), but the episode as of this moment feels a bit unnecessary to the plot development. UNLESS, later on they tie whatever information provided on this ep 6 to clues in the future eps.

Me too. I saw some comments and that's why I didn't feel the urge to watch ep 6 until now. It's kind of strange to do all the backstories in 1 episode instead of spreading them out. I think I even dozed a little because I missed this part!

FDt7tJqVgAE-R_p?format=jpg&name=large

Source

• Haha 2
  • Clapping Hands 1

@Chocolate My impression was that JGY literally gave him no choice but to work over Christmas (KHJ himself threw SYG under the bus when first approached!), but if it makes anyone happier, then sure... we can see it that way too :laugh:

I must say I only notice the mention of the wife during the 2nd time round as well. Well... all's well that ends well - KHJ is probably dumped by the mysterious Seung A after leaving her high and dry over Christmas, and SYG's first love is taken... so now they are both free to embark on the next chapter of their lives together in whatever capacity they choose! :cool:

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Chocolate said:

I think I even dozed a little because I missed this part!

:laugh: I paid attention because it's SSK speaking... and honestly, my heart sank a bit, haha... Anyway, I also think he wanted to confess his feelings to YG when they first met in the mountain. But changed it a bit or had to hold it in for the confession during that snowy night because it was all in the past and he was already married then. 

• Haha 4

MTDzeiV.gif