Jirisan 지리산 [2021]

stroppyse

@Chocolate @mademoiselle

Speaking of PPL, one gripe I have was when the newbie gave Yi-gang an Egg Drop sandwich. Err I don’t think there will be a branch near the mountain?? Lol that sandwich must be cold and soggy 😅

I cringe every time we get a PPL insert in any kdrama. 99% of those are so out of place and glaringly obvious. 

I don’t get why some ppl seem to be so upset with the CGI quality. Sometimes, even blockbusters with hundreds of millions of budget can also have wonky CGI on the big screen. Personally, I just adjust my standards according to the show I’m watching. So far the only scene that I had an “eh” moment was the falling rocks near the beginning of Ep 1. Hopefully the rest of the episodes will be better!

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Destiny's official MV:

• Like 4
  • Heart Eyes 3

Signal, Thank You, Missing:The Other Side, Children of Nobody, Misaeng, Tree with Deep Roots, Story of a Man

步步惊心, 长相思, 琅琊榜之风起长林, 平凡的荣耀, 大鱼海棠, 九州缥缈录, 风声, 剑雨

Ice Kacang Puppy Love, Garden of Evening Mists

Mother, 空から降る一億の星, Ouroboros

Episode 3 Sneak Peek

Episode 3 Preview

12 hours ago, im0202 said:

@Chocolate @mademoiselle

Speaking of PPL, one gripe I have was when the newbie gave Yi-gang an Egg Drop sandwich. Err I don’t think there will be a branch near the mountain?? Lol that sandwich must be cold and soggy 😅

Hey I had the same thought! The next was “where can I get one of these?” 😂 So the PPL works lol.

• Haha 7

@Chocolate Thank you for the sneak peek. Now I'm intrigued... what happens when she drinks sweet potato makgeoli :shocked: Thankfully we don't have long to wait. 10 more hours!

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Clapping Hands 1

Signal, Thank You, Missing:The Other Side, Children of Nobody, Misaeng, Tree with Deep Roots, Story of a Man

Jun Ji Hyun, Joo Ji Hoon, And Other Rangers Team Up For A Disorderly Battle Against Shamans In “Jirisan”

Jun Ji Hyun, Joo Ji Hoon, And Other Rangers Team Up For A Disorderly Battle Against Shamans In “Jirisan”

Oct 30, 2021
by L. Kim

tvN’s “Jirisan” has released new stills ahead of tonight’s episode!

Written by Kim Eun Hee, “Jirisan” is a mystery drama starring Jun Ji Hyun as Seo Yi Kang, a top ranger at Mount Jiri National Park, and Joo Ji Hoon as Kang Hyun Jo, her rookie partner who is hiding an unspeakable secret. The drama follows the rangers at the national park as they uncover the truth behind a mysterious accident that occurred on the mountain.

Spoilers

The rangers of Mount Jiri impressed viewers with their passion and diligence as they worked hard to save lives, even in the heavy storms. They encounter all kinds of incidents on the job, but the next one just might take the cake.

In the new stills, Kang Hyun Jo, Jung Goo Young (Oh Jung Se), Park Il Hae (Jo Han Chul), and more are led by the imposing Seo Yi Kang. They are overflowing with determination as if they’re about to launch a huge operation.

jirisan-12.jpg

joo-ji-hoon1.jpg

The big operation in question involves shamans, who are illegally attempting to perform an exorcism in an off-limit zone in the mountain. The rangers raid the area where the procession is taking place and desperately try to stop the ceremony. Despite the people’s protest, the rangers, especially Park Hae Il, stay rooted to their spot.

Spoiler

jo-han-chul.jpgoh-jung-se.jpgjirisan-21.jpg

The next episode of “Jirisan” airs on October 30 at 9 p.m. KST.

cr. Soompi

• Like 6
  • Shocked 1

@im0202 Oh yeah, it did cross my mind the same thing - would there be eggdrop shop around? xD For me it depends on how the PPL is presented in the drama. I don't mind the ones that is incorporated well into the storyline and makes sense. For example I thought in Memories of the Alhambra, it was smart that Jin Woo's watch (was it Breitling?) became a 007 weapon or players spending money/eating at Subway replenish their power and they gain coins in the AR game.

On the contrary, it annoys me in Temperature of Love that a rich CEO (Kim Jae Wook) would take the lady (Seo Hyun Jin) he's chasing to Subway. If someone tries to court me takes me to Subway (when I'm already overdosed seeing it in kdramas), he is OUT! LOL.

That said, most PPL are so random especially near to the end of the show. I am still annoyed in HCCC, Ji PD drove all the way to Gong Jin and there are so many seafood - octopus for instance (!) - and they had to eat Domino's pizza?! Like really? And Ji PD supposed to be a man who is particular with food.

@Chocolate Eggdrop sandwich is definitely one PPL I wanted to try because (1) it's food (2) it might be as good as Issac toast! Hahaha.

19 hours ago, im0202 said:

I don’t get why some ppl seem to be so upset with the CGI quality. Sometimes, even blockbusters with hundreds of millions of budget can also have wonky CGI on the big screen. Personally, I just adjust my standards according to the show I’m watching. So far the only scene that I had an “eh” moment was the falling rocks near the beginning of Ep 1. Hopefully the rest of the episodes will be better!

Maybe it's because of the promotion hyping up viewers' expectation. Plus when you throw in how much US million dollars were invested and PD Lee Eung Bok's name, the expectation is even higher. I admit when I saw the CG, I was like, "C'mon Lee Eung Bok - you can do better than this!" because I thought the view/CG was pretty good for Goblin. But then when I think of Sweet Home was a mixed bag for CG and could be better too then I kind of just let it go since there's really only 2 scenes which I could detect look off for Jirisan.

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Haha 6
  • Clapping Hands 1

Obviously @liddi and @mademoiselle are better in spotting PPL and CGI than me :laugh: Maybe all these people should pay me to take a sneak peak of their movies/dramas which are full of PPL and CGI and let me do the reviews because most likely I won't give negative comments on those (since I can't spot any!). 

If hiking gears/clothes are part of their PPL..it's still ok since they're not purposely zooming in on those products and they're really not out of place. Unlike the egg drop sandwich ... and what-not (uggghh..I think the one annoys me the most usually is cosmetic products!! Like..some characters are supposedly not fashionista or minimal make-up wearing but look at their table..full of products I never even own!). 

On 10/29/2021 at 1:48 PM, mademoiselle said:

I don't think Oh Jung Se is a villain this time but Sung Dong Il seems to be fishy since Jeon Ji Hyun found the yellow ribbons in his drawer. Another candidate would be the police guy who equally has done his fair share of shady characters in other dramas. 

Ah! Yes that cop character is def another candidate. But I do agree with @Chocolate Sung Dong Il most likely won't be the bad guy coz will the writer let us 'hate' the right person right from the start? If I must choose, let the cop be the baddie...can't have another bad Oh Jung Se, seriously. 

Let's hope that the write has plenty of mysteries for us to watch BUT let's hope too that she won't continually reveal the answers through characters' updates etc :no:

OKKKKK 

Now this drama is now about shamans and exorcism??

I totally didn't expect that:shocked:  

I like your analysis @liddi when you thought that the killer might want to protect Jirisan from illegal hikers and that's why they're targeted. If it's so, then it's going to be quite logical if the culprit/s is/are rangers/cops who are working around the mountain. But it will be interesting to see how they tie in things with shamans and exorcisms :pandahehe: 

@liddi in response to KHJ's visions - aren't they just that...about seeing what happens in the future to certain 'victims'? In ep 2, the victim is himself..so he saw that vision? I hope they'll reveal to us (not necessary about how he got that ability) but why he saw what he saw ... what triggers the visions? Any criteria? 

• Haha 4
  • Awesome 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

Currently watching: 1night2days s4; Arashi's Diary: Voyage; The Great Escape S4; The Soldiers

@SnowBlob Since we're on the subject of PPL, are scallion pancakes part of it too, since we have so many lingering shots of SYG making them for her clamouring customers? :laugh: But yup. I don't have any issue with hiking gear, coffee, mineral water, or even the sandwich (which made me really hungry actually!). On the other hand, I did think the collagen powder was a bit heavy handed, but I've come to accept PPL as part of kdrama life. (Still remember PHY being force-fed Subway sandwich by CSH's mother in Signal to thank him for doing the chores about the house!).

Wonder if these shamans will also be targeted by the gloved one(s) since they are conducting their rites in a prohibited area :thinking:

As for KHJ's visions, my assumption from Ep1 was that he knew their current location, since his visions showed Sangsuri Rock before there was any storm, and he got those visions when the storm was already raging for them (indicating that the boy was already there). Yet in Ep2, he saw where he would be later that night, while he was still on the peak of the mountain in broad daylight drinking PPL mineral water. Definitely with you in hoping that all these questions and more will be cleared up as more is revealed, without character updates! :mad:

SYG's quiet moment of respect for the dead - the lighting of the 3 joss sticks and the offering of soju, is a sobering one. Each culture is different, and I wonder whether this depiction is an actual reflection of the practice of Korean rangers (and any in the frontlines).

I appreciate the little moments of humour amid the tension. Had a good chuckle when KHJ groaned because the shoes JGY haphazardly grabbed for him didn't fit (it would be far-fetched if they did fit actually!). Still, I think despite all the nail-biting suspense, my greatest moments of stress are actually for JGY back in 2018, each time SYG gives him the evil eye :laugh: 

Edited by liddi
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

19 minutes ago, liddi said:

SYG's quiet moment of respect for the dead - the lighting of the 3 joss sticks and the offering of soju, is a sobering moment. Each culture is different, and I wonder whether this depiction is an actual reflection of the practice of Korean rangers (and any in the frontlines).

It may be. There are some aspects of Korean culture that seem quite similar to the Chinese. In HK productions, the police light joss sticks and pray to GuanGong before an operation; people give offerings including joss sticks, liquor and food at the side of the road where an accident has occurred. In Singapore, I’ve heard from friends who have served in the army that every time they pee or do something unpleasant in the forest, they will first apologise to the spirits around.

Edited by Chocolate
  • Like 3
  • Insightful 2

@Chocolate There are a lot of similarities among different Asian cultures, the appeasing of spirits or departed souls being one of them. It is particularly moving to see it depicted here, driving home the compassion for the deceased who died out in the wild alone...

• Like 4

On 10/29/2021 at 6:02 PM, Chocolate said:

I have bad news for you @Alice Wonderland @abs-oluteM. According to the koreaboo article

Well the good news is that KEH says this is a healing drama...ahahhaah 

Spoiler

his wandering soul could very well return to his body :GrimChamp:

I just caught up. No issues with the show so far. Find it pretty interesting - and those of us from Asia will know that mountain areas often have a lot of links to the the supernatural and folklore , so I am quite intrigued with how that is being tied in here. I don't see any outright villains at the moment but who's table/ drawer  did Yi Kang take the yellow ribbons out from? Was it Chief Jo's ( Sung Dong Il) ?

2 hours ago, Chocolate said:

In Singapore, I’ve heard from friends who have served in the army that every time they pee or do something unpleasant in the forest, they will first apologise to the spirits around.

This is true. My family had  farm/ estate in the remote area which my father helped my grandad to oversee , and this is something my dad told me as well. Just don't want to offend the god of that land / area. 

• Like 5

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

In true KEH fashion, previously conceived theories are seemingly confirmed, then shot down at the next instant.

KHJ's visions do not appear to adhere to a specific rule. We now know that it can be either predictive or reactive. What is telling is that his visions surrounding Baektogol are predominantly of what happened one year ago during the training incident, which he now realises to be the handiwork of a killer who is still operating to this day with laced yoghurt drinks as a weapon. He had believed that his visions were given by whatever being that is in Baektogol so that he could act upon them and save those in trouble. Now that he knows the truth behind his comrade's death, is this the reason his spirit would not or could not leave the mountains until he puts an end to these killings? However, is it that straightforward? Not all of his visions revolved around the killing spree e.g. YSH and HSG. Even if the killer / killers were finally stopped, could he leave, knowing that there will be others to come who will face danger on the mountains?

By the same token, my earlier theory about illegal hikers being targeted do not appear to hold water anymore. While Granny Geum-rye falls in this category, this excludes both Private Ahn and Sergeant Kim unless the soldiers marching across Baektogol are also viewed as trespassers in the mountain. However, if that were the case, why were they the only ones targeted? My only explanation is that they saw the killer's face (definitely true in Private Ahn's case), and therefore had to be silenced. The MO of the killings are to disguise them as accidents. This is true in the case of Private Ahn, with the killer driving him to the edge of the cliff. However, I am not clear how Granny Geum-rye's death was meant to work out. Was she supposed to drown or simply succumb to the elements in her frail, weakened state? Still, her last moments, while hallucinatory, were happy as she was finally reunited with the mother she had desperately missed all these years, so that at least, was a kindness. As for the identity of the killer, Capt. Jo is highly suspicious, but could be a mere red herring. His presence is unaccounted for during Granny Geum-rye's disappearance so it could have been him. However, from the smirk and the incriminating gloves, we don't know enough yet to be sure, and it could be a 3rd party (either working alone or as an accomplice) out in the mountains. 

The chilling encounter with the little girl from the invocation ritual appears to foreshadow what would happen to the two rangers. Were her words to KHJ a curse or a prophecy, seeing there was an strange talisman in the waters where she was? KHJ is technically not dead yet in present day, and I fear that he is fated to never be able to leave the mountains even in death. And while she said nothing to SYG, did the older woman's references to her pretty shoes somehow seal her fate as far as the loss of the use of her legs go?

We learn more of the ghostly apparition in this episode. For starters, contrary to what we believed previously, LDW did not see him at all, merely the rustling of the bushes when he approached. Yet, others have caught sight of him in the mountains. Clearly he is able to manipulate physical objects (the markers, bushes), so perhaps he too is able to control who he appeared to. If so, what is the criteria that determined who he was visible to?

On a lighter note, the effects of sweet potato makgeolli are finally revealed - a rambling, first hand account of her exploits from age 6 onwards for SYG's (literally) captive audience. KHJ, please take one for the team and find out her story at age 24, even if you have to squat by the roadside the whole night to do so! :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Star Struck 1
  • Clapping Hands 4

@Chocolate First they tease us with sweet potato makgeolli, and now looks like poor KHJ's virility is being put to the question and used as an excuse to find leads on illegal poachers :laugh: Whatever next!

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

On 10/30/2021 at 8:38 PM, liddi said:

Since we're on the subject of PPL, are scallion pancakes part of it too, since we have so many lingering shots of SYG making them for her clamouring customers?  

GAHHAHAHAHAHA.... they should have somehow ordered tons and tons of scallion pancakes from somewhere, then the pancake company would have a long air time :MeowthM:

14 hours ago, liddi said:

KHJ's visions do not appear to adhere to a specific rule.

Based on what's shown so far, I have to concur. And apparently he also didn't see ALL the accidents that occurred on the mountain because he didn't actually see any clues on Grandma Geum Rye nor private Ahn right? But the vision about what happened 1 year ago helped him find both victims in this episode. 

I hope this show isn't becoming too ghosty .. honestly I already got scared watching the beginning part of this episode :shocked2:

• Haha 6

Currently watching: 1night2days s4; Arashi's Diary: Voyage; The Great Escape S4; The Soldiers

@SnowBlob It won't work unless the scallion pancake company renames itself to Gamnamu restaurant or the drama shows SYG's grandmother renaming her restaurant accordingly :laugh: 

You're right. KHJ did not see any visions pertaining to Granny Geum-rye or Private Ahn. Could that be the reason he failed to save Granny Geum-rye, even though the younger man was saved in time? Hopefully the rules will be apparent down the road.

Knowing the identity of our ghostly figure, I am more afraid of smirks and black gloves than any supernatural apparition. Am currently staring at every character's teeth so far, but no real conclusive findings yet if anyone is clearly the killer. Must pay more attention tonight! :thinking:

The 2nd soundtrack is out! Much more upbeat than Destiny for sure...

Edited by liddi
  • Like 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Clapping Hands 3

Episode 3

There were 2 questions before the drama started:

1. Someone is killing people at Mount Jirisan. Who (and why)?

2. What was Hyun Jo's secret/Why did he come to Mount Jirisan?

The second one seems to be answered in this episode, but I am not sure if I got it right. He saw visions of people being injured/killed at Mount Jirisan and this was confirmed by news reports. So he returned to Jirisan to help. In yesterday's episode, he discovered that his army colleague who died had been murdered (was that the secret)? So now he wants to find the killer.

The killer - I think it is not Sung Dong Il. The snippets shown seem to show a younger person with a different build. More importantly, in Sisyphus and Ms Hammurabi, I remember thinking  Sung Dong Il's teeth were really yellow and crooked 😂 (sorry).

Source: teamkdramas

15 hours ago, liddi said:

The chilling encounter with the little girl from the invocation ritual appears to foreshadow what would happen to the two rangers. Were her words to KHJ a curse or a prophecy, seeing there was an strange talisman in the waters where she was? KHJ is technically not dead yet in present day, and I fear that he is fated to never be able to leave the mountains even in death. And while she said nothing to SYG, did the older woman's references to her pretty shoes somehow seal her fate as far as the loss of the use of her legs go?

The girl is scary! Did anyone notice this? 👀😨

soWJYJT.png?1

RrXWzKn.png?1

1 hour ago, SnowBlob said:

GAHHAHAHAHAHA.... they should have somehow ordered tons and tons of scallion pancakes from somewhere, then the pancake company would have a long air time

Haha! Then Jun Ji Hyun won't be eating it. Probably she needs to be hired as an endorser if they want her involvement. Notice she didn't touch the egg drop sandwich 😆

Edited by Chocolate
  • Like 3
  • Insightful 1
  • Haha 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Shocked 1

This article doesn't say much that we don't already know, but it mentioned that the yellow ribbons were REMOVED to make hikers lose their way. I though Hyun Jo mentioned that they were tied in a manner to lead hikers into a valley instead of towards an exit?

Jun Ji Hyun Gets One Step Closer To Unraveling The Mystery In “Jirisan”

Oct 31, 2021 by S. P

Jun Ji Hyun dives headfirst into the mysterious case in tvN’s “Jirisan”!

Written by Kim Eun Hee, “Jirisan” is a mystery drama starring Jun Ji Hyun as Seo Yi Kang, a top ranger at Mount Jiri National Park, and Joo Ji Hoon as Kang Hyun Jo, her rookie partner who is hiding an unspeakable secret. The drama follows the rangers at the national park as they uncover the truth behind a mysterious accident that occurred on the mountain.

Spoilers

In the previous episode, the people in distress either died from mysterious causes or got into accidents. In addition to a solider who nearly died after drinking a beverage that someone had given him and residents of the mountain who lost their lives, the numerous inexplainable happenings are causing Seo Yi Kang and Kang Hyun Jo to grow suspicious.

With certainty growing that someone is purposely attempting to harm visitors to the mountain, Seo Yi Kang discovered a bloody guidepost ribbon in the desk of the Haedong branch head Jo Dae Jin (Sung Dong Il). As Kang Hyun Jo, who had seen the same ribbon two years ago, suggested that the ribbon had been removed on purpose to make hikers lose their way, it’s evidence that’s hard to pass up.

In the new stills, Seo Yi Kang searches for clues in the Haedong branch office, suggesting that she will get closer to uncovering the truth. As Seo Yi Kang can’t go up the mountain herself, the rookie ranger Lee Da Won (Go Min Si) becomes her legs. Based on her distressed expression, she appears to have discovered something on her expedition.

Jun-Ji-Hyun3.jpegGo-Min-Si1.jpeg

Furthermore, Kang Hyun Jo continues to follow wherever his visions lead him, with viewers growing increasingly curious about how he ended up in a coma.

Joo-Ji-Hoon2.jpegJoo-Ji-Hoon-12.jpeg

The next episode of “Jirisan” airs on October 31 at 9 p.m. KST.

Source

• Like 4
  • Shocked 1

Now how did I manage to miss the non-existent reflection in the water? :shocked: That is scary indeed, and indicates an otherworldly presence. Now, I'm more convinced than ever that SYG's lightly mocking words to her about the shoes could have resulted in her physical state in present day :nervous:

The killer that we see is definitely not Capt. Jo, though I have not written him off as a suspect working in tandem with the killer yet. Am still (unreasonably, for now) suspicious of the historical researcher, but not quite yet able to match his pearly whites with what we have seen so far. Hopefully we are accorded more close-ups of every other male character in Ep4!

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1

It is now pretty much confirmed that there are at least 2 people involved in the murders on Mt Jiri. One doing the actual killings, whom eagle-eyed viewers have identified as Yangsun's cousin through the telltale teeth and reaffirmed through the scars on the hand; and someone else he is communicating with in Ep5 preview, who by all intents and purposes, is another ranger who knows Mt Jiri inside out and has the skillsets to extract the poison from the mushrooms to be laced in the yoghurt drinks. Once again, Capt. Jo is the most glaring suspect with every incident over the years conspicuously matching his off days. Yet, despite this being driven home over the past 3 of 4 episodes, I cannot help but wonder again if it is way too obvious and heavy handed. Still, until proven otherwise, he is definitely the most possible mastermind of these intricate murders.

I am not quite sure who Yangsun saw holding the 3 potato bombs in the shed, which set her going into the mountains the way she did. The hands appear to belong to a man, but the outfit is long and flowing so I cannot be certain, unless it is her grandfather who we see wearing a similar cardigan? Her cousin is attending the town hall meeting at the time and all the rangers we know of including Capt. Jo are present as well, while her grandfather is still talking to KHJ, so we are not privy yet who or what she saw in the mountains that shocked her so.

The outcry and insistence of having someone take the fall for the death of the herb collector rubs me the wrong way, and while I feel for bereaved family, the subsequent baying for blood over consequences due to their own wrongdoing is frustrating. It is hard to accept how there is no sense of accountability, and those who uphold the law are forced to kowtow and pay the price for another person's blatant disregard for it. 

This time, KHJ's visions are predictive in both the past and present - foretelling the death of the herb collector from the potato bomb in 2018, and warning SYG of the victim in Dowon Valley in present day through the marker. It is strange how he is unable to touch LDW (his palm discoloured where it attempted to touch her and his physical body goes into shock), yet is able to move stones and twigs to set up the markers. Is he only able to manipulate what is native to Mt. Jiri (the weather, nature) but not interact with the human beings that come to the mountain? There is such a sense of dejection as he tries and fails to make contact, and I truly feel KHJ's acute isolation as he watches LDW run off in terror away from him, being trapped thus with no hope of reprieve. With SYG no longer able to go to the mountain, and him not being able to leave it, will they ever see each other again in present day?

• Like 2
  • Star Struck 1
  • Clapping Hands 3

Ok.. I'm just gonna reply to one @Chocolate post above and will read the rest later..

THAT IS SOOOOOOOO CREEEEEEPPPYYYY :shocked2::shocked2::shocked2: I'm just glad I didn't read your post last night but rather this morning. You probably know which one I'm referring to..(yesss that reflection bit :shocked:)  Oh and thanks for that picture of the smirk..now Im' gonna take a closer look and guess who that belongs to! 

12 hours ago, liddi said:

Knowing the identity of our ghostly figure, I am more afraid of smirks and black gloves than any supernatural apparition.

I think if I'm the viewer (as in watching the drama)..I would be more scared of ghosts etc ..... irl.. I'd be afraid of .... both maybe? :lmao2:

Gah..now back to examining the smirk....

• Like 2
  • Haha 5