Jirisan 지리산 [2021]

stroppyse

13 hours ago, Chocolate said:

The girl is scary! Did anyone notice this? 👀

Totally!! I knew something looked off when they showed it the second time round so I rewind and watched it a second time and got spooked out... the girl must have some kind of shaman powers lol.

@SnowBlob Me too instead of watching the drama alone in my room I go to the living room where there are other people... I’m a scaredy cat like that 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

“Jirisan” Ratings Climb Back Up As “Chimera” Rises For 2nd Episode

“Jirisan” Ratings Climb Back Up As “Chimera” Rises For 2nd Episode

Nov 1, 2021
by E. Cha

tvN’s “Jirisan” is back on the rise!

Last week, the new drama starring Jun Ji Hyun and Joo Ji Hoon premiered to the highest viewership ratings of any weekend drama in tvN history, then broke into the double digits for its second episode. However, after its promising start, “Jirisan” saw a dip in viewership for its third episode, which fell to an average nationwide rating of 7.9 percent.

On October 31, “Jirisan” successfully turned things around with its fourth episode, which scored an average nationwide rating of 9.4 percent and took first place in its time slot across all cable channels. The drama also took first place in its time slot across all channels—including public broadcast networks—among the key demographic of viewers ages 20 to 49, with whom it scored a nationwide average of 4.4 percent.

[snipped]

cr. Soompi

• Like 6
  • Party! 1

Signal, Thank You, Missing:The Other Side, Children of Nobody, Misaeng, Tree with Deep Roots, Story of a Man

步步惊心, 长相思, 琅琊榜之风起长林, 平凡的荣耀, 大鱼海棠, 九州缥缈录, 风声, 剑雨

Ice Kacang Puppy Love, Garden of Evening Mists

Mother, 空から降る一億の星, Ouroboros

Yeah, I finally can start on this drama. Tbh, I wasn’t anticipating the drama too much because the plot doesn’t sound that interesting to me. But the pilot episode was done really well and I immediately know without a doubt that this is a keeper. The search and rescue scenes are done in good balance (without overdoing it) that the tension and urgency felt real in the midst of natural obstacles. Especially love all the breathtaking sceneries of the mountains we get to see at the opening. Love all the cast too!

Let me quickly catch up and back read on the posts before joining the discussion here. 

• Like 3
  • Clapping Hands 2
  • Party! 2

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

Do you guys think the way Jirisan is executed is a little similar to Signal? Like Signal, it goes back and forth between two timelines to tell the stories. Signal is communicating through walkie-talkie whereas Jirisan is through twigs/stones. Different medium but it's a form of communication.

That Yakult thing makes me wonder whether people ever think twice before drinking since it's found in a strange place... 😅

The suspect is pointing towards Sung Dong Il but like liddi, I think it'd be too easy (and too soon?).

• Like 3
  • Insightful 3
20 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

#me when I go hiking #me when I do any physical activity

Errr..surely not... you are

Spoiler

THE badminton player in the whole JH universe :SquirtleSquadCool:

14 hours ago, liddi said:

It is now pretty much confirmed that there are at least 2 people involved in the murders on Mt Jiri.

Agree ... I thought at first they might be more than one killer just because the method of killing and/or leading ppl to their death differs. There's that used of yellow ribbon to lead the victims (what's that about them being removed instead of being placed there??).. but for now it seems Grandma Geum Rye and private Ahn and even the lost boy in the first ep... weren't exactly shown to have follow yellow ribbons. They probably could have but the drama just didn't show it? There's also the use of poisonous Yakult, and potato bombs, and other methods. @liddi are you saying that maybe the one who puts (or removes) the yellow ribbons is the ranger and then Yang Sun's relative killed victims? 

Maybe the criminals are not serial killer in nature? I mean those serial killers who follow the same methods and they just get progressively worse type of killers?

I also wonder whether the show only shows victims who are all killed by the same baddies or does it also include victims who died because of other reasons. Eg: the lost boy and the girl (oh man can't remember the name) in ep 1 (or 2?) might not be the casualty from the same criminals.

I got really confused now :pandahehe: I must say I'm proud of myself to be still be able to generally understand what people are posting so far considering there are so many characters in this drama. But don't think I can keep this up sigh.... 

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1
  • Haha 3

Currently watching: 1night2days s4; Arashi's Diary: Voyage; The Great Escape S4; The Soldiers

35 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

Do you guys think the way Jirisan is executed is a little similar to Signal? Like Signal, it goes back and forth between two timelines to tell the stories. Signal is communicating through walkie-talkie whereas Jirisan is through twigs/stones. Different medium but it's a form of communication.

:jhopebtsidea: I actually did read someone post about this somewhere else. I don't know how I feel about it. So far the drama is really interesting.. but to think that it might actually 'recycle' same idea as the writer's previous drama... errr... :JuiceGhost:

14 hours ago, liddi said:

It is strange how he is unable to touch LDW (his palm discoloured where it attempted to touch her and his physical body goes into shock), yet is able to move stones and twigs to set up the markers. Is he only able to manipulate what is native to Mt. Jiri (the weather, nature) but not interact with the human beings that come to the mountain? 

But wasn't he seen by the ahjussi who also drank Yakult and later saved by SYG through the twigs clue? So I wonder whether which one is the normal one - people can see him or people can't see him? As you mentioned..there might be certain criteria. Interestingly though (if I'm not mistaken)... LDW is the only one who can't see him when she's in a very close proximity with HJ's ghost. And plus he got that shock and discoloured palm because of her... I wonder whether she's "special" ? 

At first I thought maybe LDW was that creepy little girl..LOLOLOL.. but it couldn't' be because the girl who had still been 'little' in 2020 :lmao2:

• Like 3
  • Insightful 2
  • Haha 2

Currently watching: 1night2days s4; Arashi's Diary: Voyage; The Great Escape S4; The Soldiers

Jirisan Special Poster

“산이 또다시 뭔가를 보여줄 거예요 어떤 일이 벌어질 건지..” 생령이 된 현조의 모습 포착! <지리산> 스페셜 포스터 공개!

@JUNJIHYUNH

“𝙏𝙝𝙚 𝙢𝙤𝙪𝙣𝙩𝙖𝙞𝙣 𝙬𝙞𝙡𝙡 𝙨𝙝𝙤𝙬 𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙨𝙤𝙢𝙚𝙩𝙝𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙖𝙜𝙖𝙞𝙣. 𝙒𝙝𝙖𝙩 𝙬𝙞𝙡𝙡 𝙝𝙖𝙥𝙥𝙚𝙣.” Has been revealed that Hyunjo became a living spirit. Watch #Jirisan to find more, it’s getting thrilling!

Edited by Chocolate
  • Like 4
  • Heart Eyes 2
  • Clapping Hands 1

@mademoiselle I see what you mean about similarities with Signal due to communication and multiple timelines being a theme, but I don't think so. For starters, communications are not between 2 timelines. We just privy to the past in terms of flashbacks, bringing us one step closer each time to understanding what actually transpired in the past. The markers were already a secret communication device between SYG and KHJ back in 2018, and is now KHJ's only means to try and save victims who are danger on the mountains, when he is no longer able to communicate physically with anyone. I do not know whether he left the markers specifically for SYG. Perhaps he hoped that she would see it and know what he was trying to convey, but if she didn't, at least someone, anyone will notice it and take action. I also do not see how these markers can be a means to save KHJ's spirit from an eternity roaming the mountains since there is nothing they can do to undo the past, unlike the walkie-talkie in Signal which allowed them to try and save LJH. Just my 2 cents..

@SnowBlob Both cases in Eps1 and 2 were not linked to the serial killers, but was a genuine lost boy (YSH) and a victim murdered by his partner (HSG). The other cases since then, including the lost hiker from 2020 appear to be serial killings. Nonetheless, I don't believe there is a change of MO. Remember even in Ep2 when KHJ was wounded and almost fell off the cliff, he noticed that the yellow ribbons were deliberately tied to mislead hikers. This means that even back then, the killer was already operating, not by removing the ribbons, but re-tying them to point to a different, dangerous location where illegal hikers would meet with fatal "accidents". One thing that did cross my mind is that they employ different methods depending on who the intended victims are, how familiar they are with the mountains, and their purpose going there. The ribbons would work for illegal hikers who are not familiar with the area. For Granny Geum-rye, the ribbons would be useless as she knew the mountains well. Hence, the use of laced yoghurt drink with strong hallucinogenic properties that would make it easy to lead her to danger. The same goes for the herb collector rescued in time in 2020. Likewise with Private Ahn who saw the killer's face, and very likely Sgt Kim in the past, since both men were neither lost nor illegal hikers, but following their troops in a training exercise. As for the herb collector who died in 2018, a yoghurt drink would be less of an enticement compared to an unfamiliar item which might fetch a good price, hence the potato bomb? Am simply guessing here, and fully expecting my wild stabs to fall apart by Ep5!

@Chocolate Love the new poster, but cannot help but feel sad looking at it. I remember KEH once mentioned in an interview that she wrote Signal based on a single premise - "Can LJH be saved?". I wonder whether she wrote Jirisan the same way - "Can KHJ's spirit be free?" I really hope he will be free from this cursed existence...

Edited by liddi
  • Like 3
  • Insightful 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

Signal, Thank You, Missing:The Other Side, Children of Nobody, Misaeng, Tree with Deep Roots, Story of a Man

4 minutes ago, liddi said:

@mademoiselle I see what you mean about similarities with Signal due to communication and multiple timelines being a theme, but I don't think so. For starters, communications are not between 2 timelines. We just privy to the past in terms of flashbacks, bringing us one step closer each time to understanding what actually transpired in the past. The markers were already a secret communication device between SYG and KHJ back in 2018, and is now KHJ's only means to try and save victims who are danger on the mountains, when he is no longer able to communicate physically with anyone. I do not know whether he left the markers specifically for SYG. Perhaps he hoped that she would see it and know what he was trying convey, but if she didn't, at least someone, anyone will notice it and take action. I also do not see how these markers can be a means to save KHJ's spirit from an eternity roaming the mountains since there is nothing they can do to undo the past, unlike the walkie-talkie in Signal which allowed them to try and save LJH. Just my 2 cents..

Oh, you've have misunderstood. I don't mean the similarility in Jirisan is that they are communicating in two separate timelines like Signal. I'm merely noting that both dramas happened to share a little similarities whereby the stories are told by going back & forth in two timelines. The other similarity is there is a form of communication through "sending a message/signal" of the sort.

We do not know whether these markers or signal would be able to undo the past but at least at this point, I don't think so.

3 hours ago, SnowBlob said:

I actually did read someone post about this somewhere else. I don't know how I feel about it. So far the drama is really interesting.. but to think that it might actually 'recycle' same idea as the writer's previous drama... errr...

I don't know about recycling however a writer does have their own style of writing so readers/viewers can eventually notice a writer's habitual writing e.g., Kim Eun Sook's writing is famous for her cheesy / witty lines (though often lost in translation outside of Korean).

• Like 4
  • Insightful 2
  • Clapping Hands 1

Episodes 1-4

I have been watching this - I wasn't that interested at first when I heard it was mountain rangers. Then the promotional stuff came out and I was excited. But then the first episode came out and like everyone else, I didn't know what to make of the special effects...Before I watched the episode, I thought people were just being harsh. But then I watched it and I was like, I see what you all mean! :MonkaTang:People kept screenshotting the part when the two main character were talking at the top of the mountain, but I didn't mind that as much as the rocks falling. I felt like the falling rocks were the worst CGI scene because you could see the pixels on the rocks...also there was a scene where Hyun  Jo was falling and that also looked super green screen :laugh:

I think another complaint was the OST and I have to agree - I'm not sure if they've selected the best songs for the scenes. There was one scene where they were talking about something and this loud poppy song started mid-conversation. So the editing has been a bit wonky to date in my opinion :idk:

As for the story, I think it's an ok watch, but I feel like Signal and Kingdom have had much stronger storylines. I like that there's some fantasy elements with Hyun Jo being able to see things. And it's interesting to have 2 timelines, one that shows the aftermath of an event that changed all their lives forever (and we're still kept in the dark about what actually happened). But I do feel like the story is a bit messy and I'm not sure if I can fully suspend my disbelief enough to 'buy' what happens in the story. For example, a killer who kills people by offering them yoghurt drinks on a mountain? I feel like I have to stretch my imagination to be like, Yep, that could happen... Maybe it's my post-covid wariness, but I feel like people don't often drink yoghurt drinks they find floating in the river :thinking:

BUT I am curious about what happened on the mountain that left one paralysed and one in a coma. Also wondering about the identities of the killers. It's being pushed as Jo Dae In that I doubt it's him, or him alone. Also agree that there's probably multiple killers as I feel like some of the clues don't match up totally. And with the ghost storyline, I'm wondering if there's some element of time travel or bending involved or if they're trying to play with the supernatural genre as well :heiboi:

• Like 3
  • Clapping Hands 4
  • Party! 1

Currently watching: Doctor Slump // Queen of Tears // The Impossible Heir

Current Obsessions: ❤ Lee Jae wook // Park Hyung Sik // Yoon Park

Podcast: These Dramatic Days

On 10/29/2021 at 11:43 PM, im0202 said:

@Chocolate @mademoiselle

Speaking of PPL, one gripe I have was when the newbie gave Yi-gang an Egg Drop sandwich. Err I don’t think there will be a branch near the mountain?? Lol that sandwich must be cold and soggy 😅

Hahaha surprisingly, I didn't think this one was as bad and I usually hate product placement. Maybe I'm biased though because I was also eating Eggholic (same thing, slightly different brand name in my city) when I saw that come on screen :laugh: 

Nah, I think it wasn't as bad because in other shows sometimes they zoom in and awkwardly make it a part of their conversation and the plot takes a side step so product placement can be included...this at least felt like she was just eating breakfast if you covered the logo :idk:

On 10/30/2021 at 6:49 PM, mademoiselle said:

That said, most PPL are so random especially near to the end of the show. I am still annoyed in HCCC, Ji PD drove all the way to Gong Jin and there are so many seafood - octopus for instance (!) - and they had to eat Domino's pizza?! Like really? And Ji PD supposed to be a man who is particular with food.

I'm going to say I was annoyed with most of the product placement in HTCCC. They were probably getting paid a lot for it...But I lost count of the number of times the different characters ate Kopiko and offered each other that vitamin/ginseng jelly drink...so this was wayyyy too many times. And the Dominos was super obvious and so out of character for foodie, Ji PD- he would have kicked up a fuss driving so far just to eat Dominos, not some special hidden restaurant :lol:

On 10/30/2021 at 6:49 PM, mademoiselle said:

Maybe it's because of the promotion hyping up viewers' expectation. Plus when you throw in how much US million dollars were invested and PD Lee Eung Bok's name, the expectation is even higher. I admit when I saw the CG, I was like, "C'mon Lee Eung Bok - you can do better than this!" 

Responding to @im0202 's original comment - Hahaha yes, it was the falling rocks that made me question the CGI! As for disapppointment, I would say, it's the amount of money spent, but also having seen the past projects for this writer (which have also had fantasy elements), it's hard not to compare in some way. I mean they managed to make zombies look belivable for Kingdom that it's hard to understand the struggle with using special effects for nature as that's something in our real world (so all the more reason to have it looking belivable?) :thinking:

I also think I've seen a lot of natural disaster genre films and haven't really questioned a lot of those effects, so this one must be missing something for me to feel like it's not up to scratch. :idk:

On 10/30/2021 at 7:58 PM, SnowBlob said:

Ah! Yes that cop character is def another candidate. But I do agree with @Chocolate Sung Dong Il most likely won't be the bad guy coz will the writer let us 'hate' the right person right from the start? If I must choose, let the cop be the baddie...can't have another bad Oh Jung Se, seriously. 

I feel like that cop is super awkward and there's potential with his suss behaviour. But it could also be one of the side mountain rangers like Park Il Hae (the guy who played in singer in HTCCC)...he doesn't have much of a story yet and looks innocent so far, so makes me suspicious. :MonkaTang:

On 10/30/2021 at 8:38 PM, liddi said:

(Still remember PHY being force-fed Subway sandwich by CSH's mother in Signal to thank him for doing the chores about the house!)

Subway is oddly enough one of the only product placements that doesn't annoy me because it's funny how many big budget dramas they've sponsored that I've given up and accepted that it will always be a part of K-dramaland. Maybe it's helps that it's a location they go to, not just a product that have to awkwardly suddenly bring up...I guess even fictional characters need junk food trips? :laugh:

22 hours ago, Chocolate said:

I’m impressed with the work of these fans. Now I can stop scrutinising every actor’s teeth lol.

Korean fans are so eagle eyed! I enjoy seeing them theorise about things! :lettalKWA:

5 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

4 hours ago, SnowBlob said:

I actually did read someone post about this somewhere else. I don't know how I feel about it. So far the drama is really interesting.. but to think that it might actually 'recycle' same idea as the writer's previous drama... errr... 

Yes, I totally had this thought watching episode 3 yesterday. It reminds me of Signal based on the structure - 2 timelines, episodic murder victims and some unexplained fantasy elements. I don't know if it's a style or recycled structure, it just seemed somewhat similar...but I think they are trying to play with new genres like natural disaster/ The Elements/ Supernatural ghost story...:popcorn:

Edited by JenL
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2
  • Clapping Hands 1

I am caught up with all 4 episodes... just a quick comment first about latest case before I go back-reading... I don't understand how the potato bomb incident become the fault of the Rangers office?? That place is off limit to the public. The couple shouldn't have been there in the first place, not to mention the purpose of them being there. They should be fined, yet the wife and the villagers fault the rangers for the bomb accident? 

• Like 3
  • Clapping Hands 3

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

46 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

I am caught up with all 4 episodes... just a quick comment first about latest case before I go back-reading... I don't understand how the potato bomb incident become the fault of the Rangers office?? That place is off limit to the public. The couple shouldn't have been there in the first place, not to mention the purpose of them being there. They should be fined, yet the wife and the villagers fault the rangers for the bomb accident? 

Yeah, I didn't like seeing that all the rangers looked so apologetic too. But I think the issue was because Yi Kang and Hyun Jo had just left that area and it was their responsibility to remove unsafe objects, regardless that the area was restricted/not open to public. So the fact that they did not made it seem like they were negligent. Plus there is a coffin with a body rotting in the hot sun. In such situation, de-escalating is the best course of action. Arguing about right and wrong would seem so heartless and pointless.

Of course, YK and HJ could not share that the bomb was placed there only after they left. So no one knows.

• Like 4
  • Insightful 2
50 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

I think it's probably because the accident was so horrific that they don't want to be seen as blaming someone who has suffered a horrifying loss. Also I think it's that thing were the rangers are seen as having a responsibility to ensure safety and that's what tabloids would latch onto in a sensationalist news story. :idk:

But I totally agree with you - the snake guy and his wife were totally in the wrong as they had been warned not to go back and they were breaking the rules anyway. :heiboi:

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Chocolate said:

In such situation, de-escalating is the best course of action. Arguing about right and wrong would seem so heartless and pointless.

I agree that de-escalating the situation and not arguing is best from the rangers side, but I am just angry that the villagers blamed them when they shouldn’t have been there. Some areas are off limits for a reason, because they’re dangerous, be there a bomb or not. Having said that, I was surprised the boss was the one to take the responsibility and resigned. Salute! I thought he would ask either SYG or KHJ to take the blame. 

• Like 4
  • Clapping Hands 2

MTDzeiV.gif

Episodes 3 & 4 Behind The Scenes

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Watch: “Jirisan” Cast Make Each Other And The Crew Crack Up With Improvised Lines And Playing With Props

Nov 3, 2021 by C. Hong

tvN has shared a behind-the-scenes video from episodes 3 and 4 of “Jirisan”!

Written by Kim Eun Hee, “Jirisan” is a mystery drama starring Jun Ji Hyun as Seo Yi Kang, a top ranger at Mount Jiri National Park, and Joo Ji Hoon as Kang Hyun Jo, her rookie partner who is hiding an unspeakable secret. The drama follows the rangers at the national park as they uncover the truth behind a mysterious accident that occurred on the mountain.

Spoiler

The video begins with Oh Jung Se and Jun Ji Hyun waiting to film a scene together. He munches on the nuts that have been provided in a jar as a prop and she asks him playfully, “Is it good?” He then chugs the thing like a drink and offers her some, and she rejects it with the comment, “Didn’t you put your mouth on it?” He shrugs and says, “What’s that between colleagues,” causing Jun Ji Hyun to burst out laughing. Later, Joo Ji Hoon appears to take a handful of nuts himself.

In another scene, Oh Jung Se accidentally messes up a take when, instead of being surprised by Jun Ji Hyun and Joo Ji Hoon sneaking up behind him, he is startled by a noise made by the production staff instead. He makes up for it by ad-libbing some lines during the scene, which makes the director laugh as he says, “Cut.” In another scene, Jun Ji Hyun asks Go Min Si if she’s seen anything strange on the mountain, to which she’s supposed to innocently respond, “No.” But Go Min Si makes the wrong facial expression, and when the director yells cut, she says in embarrassment, “It sounded like I was lying, right?”

In another scene between Jun Ji Hyun and Go Min Si, Jun Ji Hyun tries to leave the scene too early and Go Min Si stops her by frantically saying her line, “I can’t go yet, sunbaenim, I’m too scared!” Jun Ji Hyun also has fun wheeling herself in reverse in her wheelchair and keeps doing it even when it doesn’t fit the scene at hand. In a group scene, Sung Dong Il takes the photos he’s supposed to be using as props and starts shuffling it like it’s a deck of cards instead. Sung Dong Il ad-libs some lines during a rehearsal, which makes Jun Ji Hyun start laughing uncontrollably, but he strikes a serious face and gets right into character even as she keeps laughing silently behind him.

Before filming the scene in which the Mount Jiri rangers break up an illegal shamanistic ritual, Jun Ji Hyun warms up her voice in preparation to shout the words, “This is the king’s order!” She later has a cute conversation with the child actress in the scene, asking her how old she is.

Source

Edited by Chocolate
  • Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 2
  • Clapping Hands 1
1 hour ago, Chocolate said:

Hmm, do you think this is planned or because some reviews are still unfavourable?

Hopefully it is something that is planned. I dislike having too much things that will distract from the main drama itself. Since the drama Mouse, it seems that other dramas are following suit by having spin-offs now. Do you know how many spin-offs or specials that Mouse has?? I don’t understand why they need another insert story to explain the main story... 🙄

• Insightful 1
  • Haha 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

MTDzeiV.gif

@Chocolate Thank you for the sneak peek! Yangsun's cousin is rattled by KHJ's pointed questions, giving the predator a taste of his own medicine... what it feels like to be the hunted instead of the hunter for a change. Still, wonder if he will be apprehended since there is no actual evidence tying him to the scene of the crimes apart from KHJ's visions.

Has anyone watched the 73min highlight, which is also available on iQIYI? Apart from bookending with KHJ's narration - starting with what happened with Sgt Kim in the past, to his visions that came after, and ending with the focus on the scars on the suspect's hand at the town hall meeting, the rest appears to be just snippets from the 1st 4 episodes. I haven't sat down to watch properly (been tied up with espionage recently :shocked:), but did anyone detect any previously unreleased scenes? Will revisit once things are not as hectic.

• Insightful 3
  • Haha 1

New stills....looks like they find the potato bomb guy?

110109723.1.jpg

So these are two separate/ distinct cases right ? The yoghurt drink poisoning and the potato bomb. 

I thought it interesting that the drama would reveal JJH's face as the ghost that wonders through Jirisan in 2020 so early in the show. Thought they would have at least given us more suspense there.  And so far I see no healing element in this drama except for a lot of dead bodies! LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring