Jirisan 지리산 [2021]

stroppyse

Notwithstanding the stellar team, it's always good to manage expectations. That way, the real thing can only be better. And so I enjoyed the first episode. Very few dramas are super exciting right from the start. Similarly for Jirisan, the first half introduces us to the characters and their work. There I was, watching in wonder and thinking how difficult it must have been for the actors and crew to film in such risky and hazardous conditions. Then came this scene.

dBT2lKM.png

pUsWpvD.png

Eh, wait a minute. It's... not real??? 😱😭 Silly me, there I was admiring how Jun Ji Hyun was so brave to stand so near to the edge of the mountain 😂 But even CLOY had some bad CGI moments so let's just laugh it off (hopefully we won't have too many of these in the subsequent episodes otherwise I will have visions of Sisyphus 😜). The plot is what is most important and the end of episode 1 was mysterious! 😎

But I don't really understand about the signal. Where is it placed to ensure Yi Kang/someone will see it? How does it point to the location of the lost hiker - I think Hyun Jo mentioned placing a twig at the area but really, that pile is so small that a twig can cover a large area.

Surprisingly, I'm not feeling the chemistry between Jun Ji Hyun and Ju Ji Hoon (hey they have the same initials!). They looked so good on paper but... However, these 2 look quite cute?

Edited by Chocolate
  • Like 3
  • Haha 4

Jun Ji Hyun And Joo Ji Hoon Set Out On Their Own Investigations In “Jirisan”

Oct 24, 2021 by S. P

tvN’s “Jirisan” has released new stills ahead of tonight’s episode!

Written by Kim Eun Hee, “Jirisan” is a mystery drama starring Jun Ji Hyun as Seo Yi Kang, a top ranger at Mount Jiri National Park, and Joo Ji Hoon as Kang Hyun Jo, her rookie partner who is hiding an unspeakable secret. The drama follows the rangers at the national park as they uncover the truth behind a mysterious accident that occurred on the mountain.

Spoilers

In the first episode, viewers were shocked to see Seo Yi Kang appear in a wheelchair in the year 2020, two years after the accident. Kang Hyun Jo, who saw the death of the victims in an illusion, was also revealed to be in a coma, leading viewers to conclude that a horrific accident had occurred in the past.

The new stills reveal Seo Yi Kang and Kang Hyun Jo in 2018, where they have yet to put the pieces of the accident together. Rather than heading to the mountain as would be the typical course of action for national park rangers, Seo Yi Kang is headed to the police station with Jung Goo Young (Oh Jung Se). Upon receiving some documents from Kim Woong Soon (Jeon Suk Ho), Seo Yi Kang’s features cloud over with an air of seriousness.

Meanwhile, Jung Goo Young peers over Kim Woong Soon’s shoulder in an intent manner, but his somewhat childlike movement also evokes a sense of comedic relief in the midst of the tense atmosphere created by the unresolved mystery.

Jun-Ji-Hyun1.jpegOh-Jung-Se-Jeon-Suk-Ho.jpeg

In another set of stills, Kang Hyun Jo has all the determination of a rookie wanting to prove himself as he sets out alone on his search. The sky behind him and the distant mountain ridges prove the dizzying height to which he has ascended, but he remains steadfast and focused on his destination. As Kang Hyun Jo extends his hand between the boulders, his surprised expression leads viewers to wonder what he could have discovered.

It remains to be seen what could have happened to the perfect team of Seo Yi Kang and Kang Hyun Jo, as well as why he is setting out on a search alone.

Joo-Ji-Hoon1.jpegJoo-Ji-Hoon-11.jpeg

The next episode of “Jirisan” airs on October 24 at 9 p.m. KST.

Source

• Like 7
1 hour ago, Chocolate said:

Surprisingly, I'm not feeling the chemistry between Jun Ji Hyun and Ju Ji Hoon (hey they have the same initials!). They looked so good on paper but... 

Same haha... but this is not a romance drama right? Their banter quite funny, especially when there is dating couple climbing on mountain. But maybe their relationship will be strictly sunbae - hoobae, so that's why the no chemistry:idk:?

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

ezgif-com-gif-maker-47.gif

16 minutes ago, SilverMoonTea said:

Same haha... but this is not a romance drama right? Their banter quite funny, especially when there is dating couple climbing on mountain. But maybe their relationship will be strictly sunbae - hoobae, so that's why the no chemistry?

Yes, for me, romance is not necessary. The mystery is enough.

img.gif

Source: silvertrhee

But if I can feel the chemi, then the banter would be more fun. You know that 2 scenes where she reached out to take the walking sticks from his backpack and he reached for her water bottle (does he not have his own water bottle?), I felt nothing 😢.

Anyway, it's only episode 1 so let's see. This scene was cute:

img.gif

Source: silvertrhee

One funny thing is the drama is supposed to be about healing. But now one is in a wheelchair and another in a coma 😂

Edited by Chocolate
  • Like 3
  • Haha 5

@Chocolate @SilverMoonTea I am probably among the minority who hopes more for a life and death bond that goes beyond mere romance. Perhaps we don't feel anything with their physical interactions because there is nothing meant to be felt? Even if there was a romance, KEH has been known to keep it very minimal based on her track record, never allowing it to detract from the main plot. Either way, I am open to whatever she dishes out, as long as it works in the overall scheme of things.

Interestingly enough, Kim Eun Hee's character introductions have been removed from iQIYI Youtube channel. Wonder why... did it reveal too much?

• Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 3

Signal, Thank You, Missing:The Other Side, Children of Nobody, Misaeng, Tree with Deep Roots, Story of a Man

步步惊心, 长相思, 琅琊榜之风起长林, 平凡的荣耀, 大鱼海棠, 九州缥缈录, 风声, 剑雨

Ice Kacang Puppy Love, Garden of Evening Mists

Mother, 空から降る一億の星, Ouroboros

I'm kind of glad that there's some supernatural/fantasy elements and mystery added to the story, because I'm not sure the show could remain interesting and engaging from the Rangers performing a routine rescue mission one episode after another. It's a good start for episode 1, ending it in 2020 of one character in a wheelchair and the other in a coma. It really pique the interest to continue on. Plus I do like the ensemble casts.

The CGI is disappointing, though. The execution/editing of the rock scene was choppy and unconvincing, so was the backdrop when JJH x 2 were doing training

Are there supposed to have romance? I don't mind it a bit of it~

You know that skeleton hiker found at the end? Wasn't he only missing for a month? I don't think a body can decompose down to skeleton that quick in a month...?!

2 hours ago, Chocolate said:

But I don't really understand about the signal. Where is it placed to ensure Yi Kang/someone will see it? How does it point to the location of the lost hiker - I think Hyun Jo mentioned placing a twig at the area but really, that pile is so small that a twig can cover a large area.

I don't know how to "read" the signal but I think they are piled up in a way that it would resemble a certain location, although I'm not sure how one would make a signal of a waterfall (what would represent running water?).

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 3
  • Insightful 1
  • Clapping Hands 2
On 10/22/2021 at 10:28 PM, liddi said:

One of the lines in the 8min highlight reel hinted that perhaps one of the sunbaes is a suspect, which makes me pay closer attention to her description of the 3 senior rangers. Assuming that line was not just a red herring, then one of them is more than what we see. If so, I have my suspicions who it is at the moment based on her descriptions, but it's early early days yet, and I am hoping to have the rug pulled from under my feet.

4 minutes ago, liddi said:

Interestingly enough, Kim Eun Hee's character introductions have been removed from iQIYI Youtube channel. Wonder why... did it reveal too much?

I didn't have the opportunity to view that video. But when I read your earlier post, I was quite impressed you already had a guess 😂 Without watching the video, I'd like to add that I think it is Oh Jung Sae. Just because he is OJS and any meaty supporting role will likely be his 🤣

5 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

You know that skeleton hiker found at the end? Wasn't he only missing for a month? I don't think a body can decompose down to skeleton that quick in a month...?!

Maybe it was eaten by piranhas 😂

• Haha 6
19 minutes ago, Chocolate said:

I didn't have the opportunity to view that video. But when I read your earlier post, I was quite impressed you already had a guess 😂 Without watching the video, I'd like to add that I think it is Oh Jung Sae. Just because he is OJS and any meaty supporting role will likely be his 🤣

You might have a point there! Nothing to be impressed about my guesses... chalk it up to an overactive imagination! :laugh: The 8min highlight reel is still available. From what I recall, there is nothing particularly revealing in the character introductions... which was why I ended up suspecting the one whose description seems too innocuous, namely 

Spoiler

Sung Dong-il, who has portrayed his share of good and evil characters.

:thinking: Knowing my luck, I'm probably barking up the wrong tree!

Edited by liddi
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

Signal, Thank You, Missing:The Other Side, Children of Nobody, Misaeng, Tree with Deep Roots, Story of a Man

18 minutes ago, Chocolate said:

I'd like to add that I think it is Oh Jung Sae. Just because he is OJS and any meaty supporting role will likely be his 🤣

Hahaha, Sung Dong Il and Jo Han Chul are equally as capable as Oh Jung Se in playing villain. Even that museum narrator actor is well known playing a villain 😆

That said, in Signal, the villain never showed his face (the politician linked to Lee Jae Han's disappearance/death) until the end so the killer may not even be someone we really know. 😅

• Haha 7

Wow. I don't expect that this would be really exciting before. I thought it is just that common ranger story or kind of rescue team in other drama like usual. They will be serious at first and thsn quickly switch it to some random romance. I wonder wether KHJ is some sort of an indigo person. So he could get those events preview in his head. And the mystery of the jirisan too excites me more. They know how to make me super curious with that kind of ending. KHJ came as newbie and worked well since 2018 but he got into accident in 2019, the clue said he along with YG were up trailing to the mountain during the snowy day. What happened to them and who sends YG the signal? What for? Tell me more about it!

Edited by Alice Wonderland
  • Like 4
  • Clapping Hands 2

@Alice Wonderland ahaha that was my first question too ...would I be seeing Ju Ji Hoon only in flashbacks? This is the second drama I am currently watching where the central male figure is in coma in present time. LOL 

Written preview for eps 2

Even on off-duty days, Hyeonjo climbs Mt. Jirisan without fail. Because there is something he must find. But then again, scenes that look like illusions. Hyeonjo, worried that someone is in danger again, visits the pine forest he saw in the vision. There, he encounters a son looking for the ashes of his father who disappeared a year ago. Meanwhile, as of 2020, Lee Kang has doubts about an unexpected person

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1
  • Haha 4

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: Queen of Tears C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

Ji-hyun plays experienced star ranger Seo Yi-gang, who becomes the partner of rookie ranger Kang Hyun-jo, portrayed by Ji-hoon.

As they spend long hours together as senior-junior colleagues, their relationship blossoms as well. 

Link

Blossom? So we shall expect something more? 😅

The flood in 1995 that causing SYG's parents died, I felt like it will be repeated again in the future. Both of her parents died in age of 39 y.o. Any idea how old is SYG & KHJ at the moment? 

And about this drama genre, I'm also a bit confused, thriller and healing don't really go well together. It should be either one, trying to be both I think might be too ambitious. 

• Like 1
  • Insightful 2
  • Haha 3

ezgif-com-gif-maker-47.gif

49 minutes ago, SilverMoonTea said:

And about this drama genre, I'm also a bit confused, thriller and healing don't really go well together. It should be either one, trying to be both I think might be too ambitious

Huh did they really state that this was to be a healing drama? :laugh: 
I don’t get that at all, it’s a thriller/suspense all the way for me. A couple of points in Ep 2 I even felt slightly spooked out and thought that it’s a bad idea to watch it alone at night lol.

@Chocolate @SilverMoonTea I actually don’t mind if there’s no or little romance in this. I like the little bickering thing that they got going on here where it shows the two of them are so different from each other. 

We got another cliffhanger at the end of Ep 2 and my brain is going a little crazy trying to come up with theories 😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Clapping Hands 2
8 hours ago, Chocolate said:

Surprisingly, I'm not feeling the chemistry between Jun Ji Hyun and Ju Ji Hoon (hey they have the same initials!). They looked so good on paper but... However, these 2 look quite cute?

I'm okay with the 2 leads not having immediately chemistry together when they meet since this is not primarily a romance, though I expect romantic feelings, whether expressed or not, to develop between the two leads. Also, I trust the actors enough that they will be able to show their "blossoming" feelings for each other.

However....WHAT???? HJ is in a coma? So, we're actually seeing the start of HJ and YK's partnership and relationship development in flashbacks? I wasn't expecting this. Also, I guess it may be HJ's spirit that is giving the signals to YK?

I have no idea what to expect from this drama. So far, so good.

• Clapping Hands 3

@movingwheel Thought the same when I saw those eyes. Could that be his spirit (as mentioned in the linked tweet posted by @abs-oluteM?)

I want to know how Hyun-jo is able to have the ability to see into the future(?) regarding the whereabouts of these lost people. I suppose the drama will take its time to reveal this. 
I’m still scratching my head about the parisan signs that Hyun-jo and Yi-gang keep leaving for each other. What’s the whole point of it? I feel dumb for not understanding😂 Like in Ep 2

Spoiler

When Yi-gang tells the other newbie ranger girl to leave a sign at the rock, what was the point of that when she already knows that Hyun-jo is in a coma in the hospital? 
Or could she be trying to leave a sign for the spiritual powers? (I mean, since there is a fantasy/supernatural element to the story)

I dunno this whole part just confuses me😅

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Haha 1

“Jirisan” Ratings Rise For 2nd Episode + “Young Lady And Gentleman” Breaks 30 Percent For New All-Time High

“Jirisan” Ratings Rise For 2nd Episode + “Young Lady And Gentleman” Breaks 30 Percent For New All-Time High

Oct 25, 2021
by E. Cha

tvN’s new drama “Jirisan” is on the rise!

After premiering to the highest viewership ratings of any weekend drama in tvN history the night before, Jun Ji Hyun and Joo Ji Hoon‘s new series broke into the double digits for its second episode. According to Nielsen Korea, the October 24 broadcast of “Jirisan” scored an average nationwide rating of 10.7 percent, marking a significant jump in viewership from its first episode.

[snipped]

cr. Soompi

Edited by liddi
  • Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 1
  • Party! 2