River Where The Moon Rises/The Moon Rising River 달이 뜨는 강 [2021]

Tofu

I am catching up . I decided not to skip eps 6 as I figured it will be crucial to the plot. 

I can understand why there's a fair bit of SLS going on . While I am not sure if mine is a SLS where the romance is concerned, I am finding General Go's character arc the most interesting. Possibly tragic . A man caught between his love and loyalty to the Princess of the nation and of his heart, and his filial obligations as the son of the man who wants to dethrone the present monarchy. I understand why now Lee Ji Hoon was so excited about this role since General Go's character has both depth and complexity.  And to his credit Lee Ji Hoon has a commanding presence as the lead General of the army, a convincing portrayal of a man who is conflicted , and I daresay good chemistry with both the leading ladies in this drama. . How far will his loyalties to PG go, it is hard to say; though for now with her return to the palace , he will surely stand by her.  For LJH's 's  sake alone I am glad that this drama will continue to air. 

Someone has spoken for those with SLS :MewGiggle:

Spoiler

DPBR2Yz.png

Hae Mo Young is also an interesting character. She's a survivor and an opportunist. While she has no qualms of doing favours and carrying out tasks where the money is right , I do find that her motives are rooted in her desire to protect her own tribe. It will be interesting to see if she will end up being an ally or foe to PG, given her affections for General Go. I quite like their interactions; it  has this tension to it - but I am sure it will be one sided on her part. 

NDQO86R.png

I am happy that the plot moved quite quickly with PG finally taking her place as Princess. However we can expect that it will not be easy for her given that Go Won Pyo sees her as threat to his plans. It will also be interesting to see how the romance will continue given now that she is no longer a commoner. I am looking forward to see Na In Woo fully assume his role as On Dal. 

• Like 3

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

I finally had time to watch the pre-released video clip that @bluepebbles posted and maybe it's just me, but I feel like there's a sense of maturity with Na In Woo's On Dal. Not that Ji Soo's interpretation of On Dal was bad, Na In Woo's interpretation is just more exciting to me. 

Now that I've watched that clip, come faster Monday!! :yoongibtspls:

• Like 2

Na In Woo Undergoes Rigorous Scrutiny To See If He’s Worthy To Be Kim So Hyun’s Husband In “River Where The Moon Rises”

by L. Kim

KBS 2TV’s “River Where the Moon Rises” has revealed new stills!

Spoiler

eYSnpoE.jpg

A reinterpretation of a classic Goguryeo folk tale, “River Where the Moon Rises” is a new drama that retells the famous love story of Princess Pyeonggang (Kim So Hyun) and On Dal (Na In Woo).

On March 13, the drama’s production team unveiled photos that preview On Dal going through intense scrutiny as he tries to become Pyeonggang’s husband. If he becomes her husband, it also means he’ll be the king’s son-in-law. This raises questions about how someone like On Dal can become someone of such importance and what trials he will go through in order to marry Pyeonggang.

The newly released stills depict On Dal standing with other nobles. He is dressed in silk clothing that enhances his appearance and gives him a more sophisticated vibe. However, his solemn expression is grim, and he gives off a completely different atmosphere from before. Go Won Pyo (Lee Hae Young), Hae Ji Wol (Jung In Kyum), and Jin Pil (Cha Kwang Soo) examine him with sharp eyes. Strange tension is created when On Dal encounters Go Won Pyo, the man who killed his father.

The production team shared, “On Dal will seek to become the king’s son-in-law in order to prevent Pyeonggang’s royal marriage. Through the process, he will meet Go Won Pyo, his lifelong enemy. This event will become a turning point in his life.”

Then they talked about Na In Woo’s acting, saying, “Na In Woo delicately portrayed the changes in On Dal before and after he seeks to become the king’s son-in-law and made the staff fall in love with his acting. Please look forward to the ninth episode that will show Na In Woo’s version of On Dal that everyone admires.”

The ninth episode will air on March 15 at 9:30 p.m. KST.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1458997wpp/na-in-woo-undergoes-rigorous-scrutiny-to-see-if-hes-worthy-to-be-kim-so-hyuns-husband-in-river-where-the-moon-rises

• Like 2

That’s like a “I’m sorry , you’re a real nice guy but too bad you’re the second lead”  kind of hug @bluepebbles :nervous: 

@Tofu I am all caught up & all things considered, I think the editing was good & Na In Woo seems comfortable in his scenes. 

• Haha 3

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

7 minutes ago, bluepebbles said:

To add to our excitement

Ahhh!! You have no idea how excited I am. I probably have watched the clip maybe three times now. :eeeee:

Oh that's nice, a photo with Go Geon too. Haha! I'm kidding. :laugh:

Edit:

@bluepebbles - That meme!! :lol:

@abs-oluteM - Same! Now we wait for Monday/Tuesday to see moreeeeee!!!! :LarvitarSDab1:

• Haha 2

𝐹𝒶𝓁𝓁𝑒𝓃 𝓃𝑜𝒷𝓁𝑒? 𝒫𝓎𝑜𝓃𝑔𝓎𝒶𝓃𝑔 𝒹𝑒𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓃𝓉? 𝒜𝓇𝑒 𝓎𝑜𝓊 𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝒶 𝓂𝓊𝓁𝓉𝒾𝒸𝓊𝓁𝓉𝓊𝓇𝒶𝓁 𝒻𝒶𝓂𝒾𝓁𝓎? 𝒲𝒽𝑜 𝒲𝒶𝓈 𝒪𝓃𝒹𝒶𝓁

Reporter Yoo Seong-woon (translated thru papago)

KBS ' Monday-Tuesday drama 'River Where the Moon Rises' is a faction historical drama reinterpreting the story of Ondal and Princess Pyeonggang based on the novel 『Pyeonggang Princess』 ( 2010 ). It is gaining favorable reviews, such as recording a 10 % rating in the first 4 episodes of the drama that was aired .

Princess Pyeonggang is the only daughter of King Pyeongwon, but she lives as an assassin with her memory lost, and Ondal is the son of a fallen aristocratic family, who is treated as a traitor.

In fact, since the story of Ondal and Princess Pyeonggang recorded in 『The Three Kingdoms Sagi』 contains a dramatic story and marriage that transcends status, various theories have been raised in academia for a long time about 'Who is Ondal?'.

Also, regarding the place where Ondal died, Achasanseong in Achasan in Seoul and Ondalsanseong in Danyang in Chungcheongbuk-do are insisting on a connection with each other. In both regions, stories related to him have come down. Then, who was the Ondal recorded in the 6th century history?

① Is Ondal a fallen aristocrat?

Spoiler

It is the most widely accepted hypothesis. Goguryeo has been a country that has been strict about royal marriages for generations, including the release of queens from Zhanobu.
Kim Seo-hyun, a Silla aristocrat and father of Kim Yu-shin, was even running away at night because marriage to 10,000 royal family members was not accepted. Park In-ho, a researcher at the Hallim University Museum, said in a paper titled "The 6th Century Goguryeo aristocracy through Ondal,"

"The first government office received by Ondal was Goguryeo's 7th government post. Considering that Yeon Gaeseng and Yeonnamsan were also in formation, Ondal's status was high."

He also claimed that he may be an aristocrat from a domestic sect who lost his power amid a political turmoil at the level of civil war between the Korean and Pyongyang factions in Goguryeo in the first half of the 6th century. The underprivileged environment is also a metaphor for the political collapse of the Ondal family.

Then why did the king choose Ondal? The 6th century was when Silla lost the Han River basin as its challenges became stronger. Infringement from the continent has also become frequent. Researcher Park argues that the king needed to rally his national power to overcome the external crisis and offered a hand of reconciliation to the domestic sect represented by Ondal.

②Is Ondal a Gaecheonyong?

(Means a dragon who rises from a small stream, an analogy of someone  from a poor background has overcome hardships and worked hard to become extremely successful )

On the other hand, there is a more active interpretation of social changes in the 6th century.

Lim Ki-hwan, a professor of social education at Seoul National University of Education, paid attention to the connection between Ondal and Seo-dong in the 6th century with a paper titled "The Story of Ondal and Seo-dong in Ancient Korea." This is because they all came from poor low status and became sons-in-law of the king, and with the help of their wives (princesses), they sold gold or treasure to make wealth.

Professor Lim said, "At this time, socioeconomic fluctuations accelerated due to the spread of iron farming equipment and right-wing, and there must have been a group of ordinary people who accumulated a considerable economic foundation," and described it as being rich from gold. In other words, even in the lower social class, those who accumulated wealth symbolized as "golden" also sought political advancement and growth, which reflects this social atmosphere.

Contrary to the hypothesis that it was a domestic sect, some predicted that it would be an emerging aristocratic power based in Pyongyang, which was ignored by the long-established domestic sect. The slurred description of Ondal reflects the antipathy of the historic central nobles.

③ Did Ondal come from a West country?

It is the boldest theory. It is claimed that Ondal is from Sogdia, a western country on the Silk Road. "Ondal is a son of Sogdia's royal family, who was called a river country at the time, and was born to a Goguryeo woman," said honorary professor of history and culture at Yonsei University at the Korea-Central Asia International Conference co-hosted by Korea University's CIS

Professor Ji cited records in Chinese librarians such as "Jundangmun" and "Buksa" that read "Sogdia was called a powerhouse and the royal family was called "On". Before Ondal, you cannot see Onsi Castle anywhere in the " Samguk Sagi."

In addition, the Chinese records of the Tang Dynasty, such as "Daedangseo Station" and "Shindangseo," show that the people here are "excellent and courageous." Most of them are warriors... Ondal made brave contributions in the battle and how these families moved to Goguryeo, citing the fact that it was recorded as taking death for granted and that "there was no country that would not go if it could benefit when the man turned 20." Professor Ji explained in "The History of the Three Kingdoms" that "Ondal's appearance was ridiculous and ran out of clothes and worn-out gods" that "he described the same difficulties that children from multicultural families experienced today in Goguryeo, where the status order is strict."

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

Plop Cat GIFs | Tenor

Episode 9 live cap

Spoiler

Pyeonggang continously refuses to get married with Go Geun, by running away from the wedding dress fitting prepared by the Queen.

Gochuchang blocks him instead, and blackmails her when she will refuse. 

Best Powerless GIFs | Gfycat

The King stares at his empty throne, with flashback with his previous convo with Gochochang. Pyeonggang approached her, she begs not to get married . Oh well King is again just, a powerless king. 

Can i just say the father-daughter scene is so pitiful. 

Mo Young is scribbling something, and here comes Inwoondal ! (based on the preclip we saw)

Did Mo Yong wake up Ondal's desire for revenge?

Then finally at the council of tribes, Ondal is there trying to hide when he saw Go Geun coming. 

Pyeonggang meanwhile met Mo Yong , via the Queen (she knows her tricks really). Mo Yong and Pyeonggang had a private chat--from the trailer , when Mo Yong proposes 'alliance' to beat Gochochang for sure. 

Back to the council / court, Ondal is on the hot seat. But he is preparing to stab Gochochang?? Wew, saved by Go Geun's entrance.  He introduced Ondal as coming from the Sunmo's tribe. 

Pyeonggang arrives too! 

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

Plop Cat GIFs | Tenor

Spoiler

And they ran to the court,here is the dramatic

"He is my husband" ,  "I am Ondal"  scene ! cue Kang Sky  On Hyeop montage ! 

Spoiler

ImageImage

The King slapped Pyeonggang , and ordered her to leave the court. (In exile perhaps?) . Ondal begged to spare Pyeonggang, but the King is firm on his decision. Gochuchang got nothing in this case. He is not becoming a father in law :GrimChamp:

"Are you alright?"  

k5404.gif

The nanny is worried about Pyeonggang leaving as they prepared her belongings. Ondal also changed to his old clothes, and while he is sunbathing, the Prince arrived . Ondal got excited to learn that it was the crown prince but he was kicked by him instead. It's so cute.  Both went to the King's to make their final greeting.

"I will take care of the Princess" k5406.gif 

Spoiler

Queen went to visit the King who is still sulking.

On the way to ghost village, Ondal and Pyeonggang passed by at the market. Pyeonggang asked Ondal to leave first, because she has an errand to do. She went to see Mo Yong. Here you go, girl power please !

An Open Letter To Mean Girls. – Hunny, Learn From Me

While Ondal was waiting for Pyeonggang, Go Geun trailed him! He challenged him with a sword. Gosh these two. 

The battle of second leads is on. :pandarage2: 

Good thing Pyeonggang arrives and stopped them. Poor Go Geun, he is hurting himself over again . 

[FROM VIU SUBS]

They arrived at the Ghost Valley, with Ondal's mother in shock after learning they are already married. 

They are more scared to face her than the ministers/king in the court combined ! Mother is frustrated. The kid overheard this and spread the news in the village. Ga Jin 's dad was flustered and he only said "My Gajin"

ONdal is still pleading to Mother to hear him out. But Pyeonggang said his mother must still be in shock. They both went to meet the villagers instead. Pyeonggang thanked them for taking care of her foster father. She also said she is no longer a princess. 

Ondal is very proud to become her  husband lol. 

They also went to General On Hyeop's tomb to give respect. 

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

Plop Cat GIFs | Tenor

They are so cute, help :PsyWhat:

Spoiler

Spoiler

The two went to see their friends and told the truth. They must keep the fake marriage a secret in order not to put the village in danger. The two have no choice but to sleep in the "bride's room" . Haha. 

They point fingers who to sleep first . He left instead and make up reasons like going to the bathroom? 

But..

Ondal is suddenly exercising for all we know WHY :lol:

He went back to the room to see Pyeonggang playing one of the flutes. Ondal teases her why she can't play. But when Ondal got the flute from her, Pyeonggang went frantic and calls him dirty. They tease again that they are not afraid to kiss.

And they kissed after a staring contest. Please help me these two are so cute !  It's teenage love after all. First love yeah!

ImageImageImage

Preview : 

Spoiler

Ondal : It feels weird to lie down here with you. 

Gajin : I came back here to live as Dal's Wife.I am not here as the princess or to play.

Mother: Are you sure you will not regret it?

--

Mother: What is my daughter in law doing?

Gajin: I am coming

Go Geun: I ask to be the head of the royal bodyguards

Assassin : You despicable spy. I will end you here so you will no longer go back to silla.

Go geun: I will get everyone at the palace on my side. 

Voice: get the prince's trust first

Ondal: You planned it when you were at the palace, right  ? And me becoming a general must be part of your plan. 

On Hyeop: Do you know why I am non  teaching Dal the swordmanship ? Once he wields the sword, he is bound to see blood. That is the fate of a swordsman. 

• Like 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

Plop Cat GIFs | Tenor

25 minutes ago, bluepebbles said:

On Hyeop: Do you know why I am non  teaching Dal the swordmanship ? Once he wields the sword, he is bound to see blood. That is the fate of a swordsman. 

Wow, On Hyeop must really did not want Dal to become a swordsman. He did whatever he could to protect him, but I think he must have known that Dal will eventually follow in his footsteps. 

Thanks for all the updates and recaps @bluepebbles!! I'm super excited to watch this episode when I get home from work today. Sorry if I blew up your Twitter again. :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 2