I’ll recognize you
I just need to see myself reflected in your eyes
What I want
Is that alone
That’s all I need

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 1

Plop Cat GIFs | Tenor

If I had not read the recaps , eps 9's plot development would have surprised me. I knew that Dal was going to come save her , but fake marriage did not cross my mind. Then again, it was probably the only way to save her from being forced into marriage to General Go. I believe the King kicked her out to save her as well, and I doubt he bought the lie that she was married to Dal. He too did not want her to be part of the Gyero tribe and to give Go Won Pyo more power. Even though now PG is out of the palace, her brief return has given the King some courage. He is no longer relying on those tonics that makes him hallucinate, and he is  finally thinking strategically. That meal post PG's departure was his warning to GWP that he cannot be treated as a puppet king.

I did feel bad for General Go, but unfortunately his obstinate refusal to be the bigger person here did him no favours. I feel his pain because it has been a long one sided love , and by all accounts he isn't lacking to be her husband. However, forcing marriage on her and thinking he has been wronged here will only alienate her. Love which was what he had desired cannot be forced - something he seems to have forgotten. I hope he doesn't turn nasty like his father. Too bad he doesn't like Mo Yong who has affections for him. 

Talking about Mo Yong, I cannot tell if it was a good idea for PG to want to trust her. MY is a Silla spy after all and PG has no idea of that. I hope PG is a lot smarter here , and is perhaps building this alliance to secure information and use MY who could be rather resourceful.

Have to commend Na In Woo for warming up to this role quickly. Though Ji Soo had a bit more of a cheeky vibe, NIW gives off a more sincere honest personality in his interpretation of On Dal. He matched quite well with KSH, and I liked their scenes together.  That whole build up to the cute pecks was adorable & made me laugh. This fake marriage may as well be real. 

And oh goodness  this village people.. :Mimed:..

1QsgAxb.png

• Haha 1
  • Party! 2

Mon-Tues: Lovely Runner  Wed-Thurs: -  Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: The Midnight Romance in Hagwon Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - 

Episode 10 highlights 

Spoiler

Ondal is having a secret swordmanship training course with Ga Jin , secret means from Lady Sa. The entire village knows about Gajin establishing /restoring the Sunno tribe except her. 

While PyeongOn do errands like normal husband and wife do, they sneak at the middle of the day and during night time to study.

At the court, Go Geun is building the King's trust by encouraging the crown prince to learn sword fights. Mo Yong , who made an alliance with Ga Jin continues to work her ways with the chief assassin only to be caught as silla spy. Go Geun saved her life !

Lady Sa will discover the secret of the two , and she is really..really mad.

Angry GIFs | Tenor

PREVIEW

Spoiler

Ondal will have a new master, it's Wolgwang .

But while ondal is sent to train , Lady Sa is in danger ! Please don't die 

Get out no no no gif » GIF Images Download | Gif, Getting out, Image

Bonus

• Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

Plop Cat GIFs | Tenor

Mochinnnnnn!! :pandasadspoon: I really hope nothing happens to her. 

I really enjoyed both episodes this week, but work has been really busy these last two days so I will add thoughts tomorrow when my day is a little shorter.

This scene and Na In Woo's smile. :laugh:

aca62e66d3bf2e5b6eb0fe7947157b36c0e42630

By the way, what does everyone think of Na In Woo so far? I mentioned it on discord but I had someone tell me that they were going to stop watching because they didn't like Na In Woo's portrayal. I feel quite the opposite because I'm more invested in the drama now that On Dal is Na In woo. I agreed with @abs-oluteM that Jisoo was a little more cheeky as On Dal while Na In Woo is a bit earnest in his interpretation. Not only that, but I think Na In Woo has quite the stage presence and he is matching well with all the characters. 

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 1

Thank you @mademoiselle for the behind the scenes clip ! 

@Tofu so happy that Tori granted our wishes for the kissu scene. The scene was actually long, and maybe because of time constraints they reduced it. The warmth atmosphere is very evident, as what Tori mentioned during their press release few days back.

About overall feedback on NIW's portrayal, I am not sure on the consensus from other platforms, but on Twitter and on Naver talk, the response is great and supporting NIW, KSH including the staff/production for the best effort they are doing for the refilming. 

I saw some few comments still wishing for JS as ondal, but I guess it is just a matter of preference already ? 

Articles about NIW also released today, praising the immersion as the new Ondal. Here is the highlight of the casting :

Some snippets I love from the filming -- NIW is a hyung collector indeed. And Go Geun found a baby giant to baby sit  :MewGiggle:

Spoiler

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Plop Cat GIFs | Tenor

[Naver TV] ‘River Where The Moon Rises’ Episode 9 Comments and Reaction

netizenkore / March 17, 2021
, , , , , 

Where did On Dal go for this nobleman to appear?! Na Inwoo who is born again (?) for his father and Gajin ☆

1. [+355][-2] They started filming the day after the news came out about the casting for On Dal, so there mustn’t have been much time for him to analyse the character but it’s amazing, his acting is so good

2. [+343][-3] His acting has become more natural than how it was in Mr. Queen

3. [+219][-0] On Dal is handsome but when he dresses up more cleanly, that confident side of him is cool 💕 he’s seriously perfect for On Dal’s role

4. [+190][-0] Seriously, his physicals are so f*cking good..

5. [+169][-0] On Dal’s face is seriously just full of light..

Na Inwoo – On Dal who has been caught by Lee Jihoon?! Kim Sohyun appears at the moment of crisis to save her husband ♨

1. [+291][-0] A small puppy protecting a large puppy

2. [+220][-0] I think this is the first shot of them together, I f*cking like this  combination

3. [+178][-1]  As expected, the princess is a princess. She was cool here

4. [+163][-1] Is this place a feast for visuals… Everyone is really handsome..

5. [+139][-0] Both of their acting today were sickening! I would seriously like it if Na Inwoo could do well!!!

‘I’m On Hyeop’s son, On Dal!’ Na Inwoo who reveals his identity! And Kim Beomrae who banishes both of them 

1. [+497][-1] Why is Na Inwoo’s vocalisation so good… He really suits On Dal’s role ㅠㅠ The King is helping them get away by pretending to purposefully kick out the Princess

2. [+459][-0] Na Inwoo seriously is On Dal. His voice is loud and clear and his physicals lack absolutely nothing

3. [+395][-0] Inwoo-yah, thank you… There’s fun in watching, it’s a bumper harvest for visuals

4. [+301][-0] Vocalisation, visuals, height – On Dal who has everything ♡ 

5. [+289][-1] Na Inwoo is much neater looking than Jisoo and is perfectly suited for On Dal’s role. I hope this will be a blessing in disguise ~~

Master Go who only walks the path of poison ㅠ A fate too tightly intertwined…! Perfectly ends before it even starts..ㅠㅠ

1. [+361][-5] I think I’ve said it more than 50,000 times so far, but I’ll say it again: let’s live together as the three of you

2. [+316][-2] Lee Jihoon’s acting today was seriously… His feelings of desire to have the princess were so desperate that it was heartbreaking…

3. [+279][-5] I wish we could see Kim Sohyun and Lee Jihoon’s chemistry again in another work ㅠㅠ Both of them suit each other so well that it’d be nice to see them meet again with a love line without burying Na Inwoo

4. [+266][-3] It’s so funny that On Dal wins with strength because he hasn’t learnt the martial arts ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ Let’s learn the martial arts from Pyeonggang and become a great General On Dal

5. [+242][-5] Master Go, please cling on to the princess – it’s more fun that way,,,, You get me?

※Bloodboiling innocence※ A first night as a couple! Dal-ie who’s full of strength ~ ͜ʖ ͡°

1. [+883][-2] I was surprised because On Dal looked like such a fool.. Not a Goguryeo-type face but a Chigor-Jabjon type of face (T/N: mutt dog breed found in Korea)… He looks like a Golden Retriever.. because he’s so big and so cute

2. [+877][-1] They really cast Na Inwoo well.. Who could’ve acted out that fool, he’s cute ㅠㅠㅠㅠ

3. [+625][-1] Na Inwoo going outside and doing that because he was embarrassed is so cute ㅋㅋㅋ I was smiling the whole time I watched it ㅋㅋㅋㅋ

4. [+581][-3] I’d really like for Na Inwoo to do well. I thought his voice, gaze, handsomeness, height and personality were good after watching Mr. Queen ㅋㅋㅋ It’d be weird if he didn’t get popular

5. [+510][-0] No seriously isn’t their chemistry insane?? My heart raced so much and the kiss scene I almost died..

Application for the world’s sweetest fight ♥ A sweet challenge brought about by On Dal-Na Inwoo’s actions, who’s more sly than you might think ☆

1. [+1400][-5] Someone please bring my cheekbones down ㅎㅎㅎㅎㅎ It’s so heart-fluttering that I think my lips are going to rip ㅎㅎㅎ Why are the two of them so cute? I think they would have made lots of NGs whilst shooting this scene – both of them laughed for real

2. [+1267][-5] A cute kiss in a historical drama.. Thank you so much.. I don’t know if I should be able to watch this for free

3. [+1136][-5]  Why is our fool On Dal so innocent and cute ㅋㅋㅋ His moonlight gymnastics in the middle of the night. Both of their acting skills match well together and my heart raced like crazy for the first time in a while

4. [+1066][-5] This is the cutest kiss scene I’ve seen recently ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ

5. [+964][-4] Both of them are so cute because they’re both embarrassed ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ

• Like 1
  • Party! 2

Plop Cat GIFs | Tenor

10 hours ago, bluepebbles said:

I saw some few comments still wishing for JS as ondal, but I guess it is just a matter of preference already ? 

Yeah, I think so too. I definitely think Na In Woo is doing a great job as On Dal!

50 minutes ago, bluepebbles said:

1. [+291][-0] A small puppy protecting a large puppy

Hahaha! They are so cute together. Can we get more BTS of Lee Ji Hoon and Na In Woo? :yoongibtspls:

This scene of Pyeong Gang and General Go was so sad. :cry:

giphy.gif

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

I am hereeeee ~ ~ ~

So I went straight to Episode 9 and 10! Since I have been seeing tweets (mainly due to @bluepebbles and @Tofu's love for this show), it wasn't too difficult to dive in at this juncture of the drama. I may go back and ff through Eps 1 - 8 to get a better sense of who the supporting characters are, the politics, Gajin and Ondal's relationship origins, and of course my darling Kang Haneul.

I don't think I have ever watched a sageuk before because I am not usually drawn to them. And from what little I know I thought they would be using an older style of Korean? So I was pleasantly surprised to find this drama speaking in contemporary Korean or at least something very very similar to what we hear today. I was also pleasantly surprised to find that it was lighter in tone than I expected. 

Gajin and Ondal are adorable together! Lyra and Tofu will know that what sealed the deal for me to watch was their kiss scene at the end of Ep 9. TOO CUTE, MUST STAN! I just love how Ondal is totally into the fake marriage, how clearly he adores Gajin and how she is so fond of him. Not to mention when they bicker so cutely! :duckhearts: They have a wonderful chemistry together!

I can see why Kang Haneul had been the first choice for the role of Ondal. That mix of manly innocence and cheekiness are hard qualities to find in an actor and I think Na In Woo is pulling it off very well here. His face is so expressive! He more than holds his own against So Hyun. 

• Clapping Hands 1
  • Party! 2

@Jane  :yee: You're here ! Welcome aboard !

Speaking of Kang Ha Neul's scene stealer in episode 10, the highest real time rating went to 9.9 because of his scene going towards the ending  ~ :hearties:

Spoiler

And does Tori spy on all platforms ? Because the Inwoondal chicken meme reached them ! :lol:

About Na In Woo 's casting article 

Spoiler

https://n.news.naver.com/entertain/article/477/0000290034

— Article talks about how viewers are captivated by Na In Woo as the new Ondal

“In fact, Na In Woo’s joining was an “all or nothing” situation. Viewers who already met Ji-soo's Ondal were likely to feel unfamiliar with the new Ondal, and the immersion in the drama was also worrisome because there was a strong controversy.”

“However, his appearance succeeded in dispelling public concerns. He is 187 cm tall, has reliable shoulders, and his easygoing appearance makes him a perfect match for Ondal as if he was wearing his own clothes.”

“The moment he stepped in, Na In Woo was dubbed as “Ondal himself” due to his stable tone, vocalization, easy action acting, and high synchronization rate.”

“Na In Woo’s potential was foreseen in his previous work <Mr Queen>. In an interview with SpoTV News, Na In Woo picked “a voice that fits well with historical dramas” as his strength and he emphasized his efforts for the action scenes.”

“the efforts he made on <Mr Queen> are shining even more in <River Where The Moon Rises>.”

The production team expressed their gratitude as they told SpoTV News, “Actor Na In Woo was casted in one day. Actually, we could say it was half a day. If he didn’t give us a quick confirmation, we would have had to cancel the broadcast.”

“His sharp impression (from Mr Queen) changed into a very gentle and reliable one. As a result, Na In Woo unexpectedly showed off his high synchronization with Ondal.”

gained nicknames such as “HoHoBa (a fool who isn’t easy)”,“JunBa (a fool who is prepared)”,and “DongJjitNam (a man who tore up a fairy tale). It’s no joke to say that he tore up the “Samguk Sagi (book where Ondal and Pyeonggang’s story was written)” and came out of it. (source)

• Haha 2
  • Clapping Hands 1
  • Party! 1

Plop Cat GIFs | Tenor

This was Na In Woo's first really week immersed in his role as On Dal compared to last week's episodes. As I've mentioned it a few times, I think he did really well and I thoroughly enjoyed all his scenes. 

The King purposely disowned Pyeong Gang because that was the only way for her to avoid a royal marriage. He's done a lot of wrong deeds but I do admired that he continues to try his best to protect the crown prince and Pyeong Gang. It's also confirmed that the Queen's son is not the King's child, he is Gochujang's son instead -- making Pyeong Gang's suspicion correct.

Pyeong Gang also made it clear to General Go that it can never be him, but I'm sure we'll still see more of their interactions. I do feel really bad for him because he waited eight years for her! 

I think we have finally got to a point in the drama where the pace will start picking up which I'm really glad about. It's not to say that I didn't enjoy the last couple of episodes, but I'm watching this drama because I want to see Pyeong Gang and On Dal create their country (nae nala -- haha! I had to put this here because I love the sound of 'my country' in Korean). On Dal is going to learn his fighting skills from the General that became a monk -- the person that the King thought Pyeong Gang's mother was in love with. I wonder if he will also be teaching the entire tribe too? 

Mo Yong being a Silla spy -- it's hard to tell what her true intentions are. I don't really know what to think of her at this time. Maybe as we continue, I'll have a better understanding of why she floats between all the characters. Haha! (History tidbits: Silla is one of the three kingdoms that ruled Korean at one point. Pyeong Gang is part of the Goguryeo kingdom (the bigger kingdom of the three). These two kingdoms plus Baekje later unified and becomes Goryeo). 

I'm so happy you decided to join us, @Jane! I look forward to Mondays/Tuesdays because I know @bluepebbles will be tweeting lots of things. :eeeee:

7ab093b78ad05ab3fe7d0c56c5738850668bc5f1

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 3

I do feel bad for the his nanny who loves him like her own. So I can understand her anger towards PG for wishing to raise On Dal to become a general and to restore the tribe. I can't remember if she's promised his father that  On Dal would never take up the sword , but clearly she remembers General Oh Hyeop's wish that On Dal does not become a warrior like him. But as fate would have it, On Dal is not destined to be a fool , he is his father's son after all. I agree that they cannot be in hiding and be on the run forever.  And there's no better person to lead them in the long term than OnDal. While On Dal lacked the basics  where his fighting skills are concerned,  he was a fast learner and had his father's talent. And now with General Wol Gang teaching him and honing his skills further, he would be probably as good as his father.

I was surprised that General Go turned the other way . How sad that he wanted to force PG to be with him. He's resorting to using his father's crafty ideas to gain the trust of the king, and that was like a 180 on who he was in earlier episodes. And I wonder too if there will be actual romance or some sort of  twisted relationship between him and MoYong. Because their relationship is quite unlike that of OD & PG's which is sweet & straightforward, I am quite intrigued by how things will develop. Why was he tailing her in the 1st place? I assumed he was since he saved her in the nick of time.

On Dal and I are soulmates...drama over books for me. LOL!

xyO4nJf.png

• Haha 3
  • Party! 1

Mon-Tues: Lovely Runner  Wed-Thurs: -  Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: The Midnight Romance in Hagwon Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - 

12 hours ago, Tofu said:

I'm so happy you decided to join us, @Jane! I look forward to Mondays/Tuesdays because I know @bluepebbles will be tweeting lots of things.

I am happy to be here. It's good to be back in the drama threading swing of things. It's been so long!

21 hours ago, bluepebbles said:

Speaking of Kang Ha Neul's scene stealer in episode 10, the highest real time rating went to 9.9 because of his scene going towards the ending  ~ 

Wow! This drama definitely got its money's worth from his appearance. I was blown away just from that short scene in 10. He pulled of that fatherly world-weariness so well. I was always sceptical about how he and his baby face would do it, I really shouldn't have doubted him. I can't wait to see him continue to grow with age and gravitas!

12 hours ago, Tofu said:

he is Gochujang's son instead -- making Pyeong Gang's suspicion correct.

I laughed at this because I am thinking of the sauce :Ghastlel:

12 hours ago, Tofu said:

but I'm watching this drama because I want to see Pyeong Gang and On Dal create their country (nae nala -- haha! I had to put this here because I love the sound of 'my country' in Korean).

Yes to PG and OD being the warrior king and queen! The scenes of the Ghost Village beginning to prep for war reminds me how Winterfell prepping for the war against the Night King (if anyone watched GOT here). Even the music reminds me a little of the Winterfell theme. I wonder if the drama indeed took reference from the show.

3 hours ago, bluepebbles said:

Pre-released clip , excuse me while swim at the puddle of Goo-goryeo

Hi, I am here to join you in the Goo Pool! :pandablush:

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 2

1 hour ago, abs-oluteM said:

I was surprised that General Go turned the other way . How sad that he wanted to force PG to be with him. He's resorting to using his father's crafty ideas to gain the trust of the king, and that was like a 180 on who he was in earlier episodes. And I wonder too if there will be actual romance or some sort of  twisted relationship between him and MoYong. Because their relationship is quite unlike that of OD & PG's which sweet & straightforward, I am quite intrigued by how things will develop. Why was he tailing her in the 1st place? I assumed he was since he saved her in the nick of time.

I was surprised by that comment too. I really thought that he is/will continue to go against his father but when he made that comment, I wasn't sure what to think anymore. Greed is a scary thing to have and cant cloud people's judgement. I hope that General Go is able to recognize this and not give in to it. I want to see him be a part of Pyeong Gang's and On Dal's new country too. Do you think that General Go is keeping her close because she's supposedly a Silla spy? I just can't see General Go go after Mo Yong romantically and immediately like that. 

1 hour ago, abs-oluteM said:

On Dal and I are soulmates...drama over books for me. LOL!

:1000:!! I add reminders to find time to read into my calendar but did I read this week? No. Did I use that time to watch dramas instead this week? Yes. :laugh:

44 minutes ago, Jane said:

I laughed at this because I am thinking of the sauce

Hahaha! It's because I'm just making fun of his name. His name is really Go Won Pyo. :eeeee:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
1 minute ago, Tofu said:

Do you think that General Go is keeping her close because she's supposedly a Silla spy? I just can't see General Go go after Mo Yong romantically and immediately like that. 

I don't think he likes her romantically at this point as well. He could be tailing her to see what she is up to. But was he aware she is a Silla spy. I hope he will not turn so nasty , that he is unredeemable. Lee Ji Hoon did say he loved this role , so I supposed General Go must be a very complex character

53 minutes ago, Jane said:

Wow! This drama definitely got its money's worth from his appearance. I was blown away just from that short scene in 10. He pulled of that fatherly world-weariness so well. I was always sceptical about how he and his baby face would do it, I really shouldn't have doubted him. I can't wait to see him continue to grow with age and gravitas!

I am sad we only got to see so little of him. He made an impact as On Dal's father and a revered General .

• Like 3

@mademoiselle it's the nickname made by RWTR fans for Victory Content (producer) :heiboi:

I have found the english article posted pages before about the origins of Ondal :

KBS drama raises questions about the 6th century Korean Romeo

Spoiler

KBS’s ongoing drama “River Where the Moon Rises” is a periodic romance based on the novel “Princess Pyeonggang” (2010) by Choi Sa-gyu, which is a fictional reinterpretation of the folktale of Princess Pyeonggang and the Fool Ondal. It first aired on Feb. 15 and after just four episodes saw its viewership rating hit 10 percent.

In the drama, Princess Pyeonggang is the only daughter of King Pyeongwon (?-590) but after losing her memory, ends up as an assassin. Ondal is the son of a fallen aristocratic family and the black sheep. 

However, as recorded in “Samguk Sagi” (1145, History of the Three Kingdoms), Ondal was a poor man who lives with his sick mother. Princess Pyeonggang married Ondal after running away from the palace because she refused to marry the son of a high-ranking official. Princess Pyeonggang raised money for their household by selling her jewelry and helped Ondal realize his potential as a soldier, who died honorably in battle.

The story of Princess Pyeonggang and Ondal is about a forbidden marriage that transcends social classes and is one of the most romantic stories recorded in Korean history but details about who Ondal actually was has never been verified in academia, and only theories exist. Even the place of his death remains a divided issue, with some claiming it to be Acha Mountain Fortress in Seoul while others say it was Ondal Mountain Fortress in North Chungcheong.

Who was this 6th century Korean Romeo? 

Was he a fallen aristocrat as suggested in the KBS drama?

This is the most widely accepted hypothesis. Goguryeo (37 B.C. to A.D. 668) had a strict rule in choosing the royal spouses, such as selecting the queen from only a certain region of the nation. Even in neighboring Silla Dynasty (57 B.C. to A.D. 935), nobleman Kim Seo-hyeon (564-?), who was the father of Kim Yu-shin (595-673), is said to have run away from his country because he could not marry his wife Princess Manmyeong (574-?).

Park In-ho, a researcher at the Hanllym University Museum, explained in his thesis “Koguryo's aristocracy in the 6th century around Ondal” (2004) that he was given the title of Daehyeong, “the seventh ranking in Koguryo.” Seeing as how the sons of General Yeongaesomun (603-666), who is said to have been Goguryeo’s leading politician and soldier, were given higher rankings after being named Daehyeong, it is likely that Ondal was also from a noble family, according to Park.

Goguryeo in the sixth century was divided among those who wanted to keep the old capital city of Guknae Castle and those who called to move to Pyongyang Castle. Park theorized that Ondal would likely be from a noble family rooting for Guknae Castle and lost in the power struggle. The description of his appalling living conditions would have been “metaphoric” of the family’s political downfall.

The reason that the king chose Ondal as the spouse for Princess Pyeonggang would have been a gesture of peace offered to the Guknae Castle advocates, represented by Ondal. Sixth century Goguryeo also suffered from the power-gaining Silla Dynasty and yielded the rich lands of the Han River as well as attacks from the inner continent. The king needed to unite local powers and the princess’s hand was the best peace offering.

Was he nouveau riche?

Another theory puts Ondal at the forefront of a social dynamic of the sixth century, which saw the struggle between blood-born nobles and lower class citizens gaining power through money.

A 1993 paper by Lim Gi-hwan, a Professor at the Seoul National University of Education, titled “The social change in sixth century Ancient Korea read through folktale of Ondal and Seodong” (translated) found that the common link between Ondal and the tale of Seodong was that both men were said to have started out poor and made their way up the social ladder by selling their wives’ riches. Seodong is the name of King Mu (580-641) who became the 30th King of Baekje (18 B.C. to A.D. 660) when he was just a child. He is said to have heard that Princess Seonhwa (date of birth and death unknown) was beautiful, so he spread rumors that he met her every night in secret. She was exiled in disgrace, but married him when she met him on her way to exile.

According to the paper, “During this time, the social change was accelerated due to the invention of steel farming tools and plowing using cows. There would have been a number of ordinary people who accumulated riches due to that change.” Lim described the two men as having been such cases where the lower ranks acquired gold — a symbol of wealth — and sought political power, and the two folktales tell this story.

Some theories suggest that Ondal was from a newly-rising noble family from Pyongang Castle rather than an old aristocratic family from the Guknae Castle. In this case, the description of his living conditions can be interpreted as the old families’ hostility toward a new player.

A stone statue of a foreigner made during the Silla Dynasty (57 B.C. to A.D. 935) is used as evidence that the Korean Peninsula was a part of the ″Silk Road″ and made transactions with the Western world. [PROVINCE OF GYEONGSANGBUK-DO]

A stone statue of a foreigner made during the Silla Dynasty (57 B.C. to A.D. 935) is used as evidence that the Korean Peninsula was a part of the ″Silk Road″ and made transactions with the Western world. [PROVINCE OF GYEONGSANGBUK-DO]

Was he even Korean?

Perhaps the most daring of all theories is put forth by researcher Ji Bae-sun at Yonsei University Institute of Korean Studies who argues that Ondal was in fact not even Korean and was from Sogdiana, a middle-Asian city occupied by Scythians.

Ji explained at a Korean-Middle-Asian international conference held in Kazakhstan in 2014 that Ondal was born from a royal father from a Sogdian nation called Gang and a Goguryeo woman, basing her argument on the findings from two Chinese books, “Jeondangmun” (1819) and “Buksa” (659). According to the two recordings, Sogdiana was referred to as the Gang Dynasty and its royal bloodline was surnamed On. The name On had never been recorded before Ondal was mentioned in “Samguk Sagi.”

Ji also referred to records from China’s Tang Dynasty (618-907) that described the Sogdian people as being “brave and courageous, mostly soldiers” and “No match for any enemy in battle, as they take death for granted” in books such as “The Great Tang Dynasty Record of the Western Regions” (1857) and the “New Book of Tang” (1060).

“The descriptions are evidence of the hardship that children of multi-cultural families had to endure due to the strict class division in conservative Goguryeo,” Ji said in explaining the poor living conditions of Ondal within the folktale.

BY YOU SEONG-UN, YOON SO-YEON     [yoon.soyeon@joongang.co.kr]

• Like 3

Plop Cat GIFs | Tenor

River When the Moon Rises Timeline

With the war scene appearing on the preview for episode 11, I went to dig some information that may connect the upcoming scene to actual historical records. But before that here's the brief background of King Pyeongwon and what timeline do we have now based on the story. 

King Pyeongwon reigned from 559-590 AD .

In the story, Pyeonggang is assumed to be from 16-17 years of age when she marries Ondal based on the folktale.

Thus the current timeline is around 570-575 AD. 

King Pyeongwon dies on 590 AD, to be succeeded by crown prince Yeongyang onwards.

Now according to this article, Ondal will become one of the great warriors to be recorded in history:

One day, Princess Pyonggang gave some money to her husband and asked him to buy a horse in the market. She advised him to select a horse disposed of by the court. She took care of the horse her husband bought devotedly and let him go hunting in mountain areas, riding it.

As the horse grew stronger, Ondal developed his horsemanship and archery. His skills were improved to such an extent that nobody was more excellent than he in horsemanship and archery. At that time, the Koguryo court sponsored an annual hunting festival in March. After developing his skills, Ondal participated in the festival and killed more game than any other participant. He was selected as the best hunter during the festival. The king deeply struck with his hunting skill, asked about the personal background of the winner.

Hearing that the excellent warrior was Ondal to whom his beloved daughter got married against his will, the king's heart was full of regrets for what he had done. Meanwhile, Princess Pyonggang knowing about the excellent performance of her husband during the hunting festival, felt that all hard-won and endeavors were repaid.

Several months had passed. Chinese soldiers led by King Wuti of the Late Chou Dynasty invaded the north-east border district of Koguryo. ( Based on this, presumably the timeline fits , because Emperor Wu's reign started from 543-578

Ondal decided to dedicate himself to the protection of his fatherland against the foreign attack.

Pleased with his decision, the king named him commanding general of the Koguryo army. His brave action in battlefields enhanced the morale of Koguryo soldiers and helped them beat back the enemy.

In ceremony, King Pyonggang officially called Ondal his son-in-law and appointed him to a high ranking government official position called "Taehyong."

King Pyonggang died after his reign of 32 years and King Yongyang succeeded to the throne.

(590 AD)

One day, Ondal met the king (Yeongyang) and talked about his long-cherished dream of recapturing the land captured by Silla. With the king's consent, he led an attack against Silla.

Every night, princess Pyonggang prayed for his victory on the battlefield. But a messenger from the battlefield informed her of the sad news: Ondal was shot to death by an enemy arrow during a war at Castle Acha. According to him, army soldiers put the dead body in a coffin but it was stuck so fast on the ground that nothing could move it for the funeral. At first, Princess Pyonggang nearly fainted because of the sad news, but she immediately pulled herself together and hastened to the battlefield. She caressed the wooden coffin with her hands and whispered: "Your wife is here at your side. Life and death is beyond our power and decided by the heaven. Please rest in peace." Then a miracle occurred. The coffin began to move as though it had no regrets. 

Background on the presumed captured Goguryeo land by Silla . The place of death of Ondal was in Achasanseong Fortress , which is located at the northside of the Han River:

In 551, King Jinheung (descendant ancestor of Queen Seondeok) allied with Baekje so that he could attack the northern Korean kingdom of Goguryeo. The result of this allied attack on Goguryeo was the conquest of the Han river estuary. The kingdoms of Baekje and Silla agreed on splitting the conquered territory equally between themselves. (wiki)

The first episode battle could be the upcoming scene tomorrow. 

Pre-release clip

Spoiler

Episode 1

Spoiler

• Insightful 3

Plop Cat GIFs | Tenor