River Where The Moon Rises/The Moon Rising River 달이 뜨는 강 [2021]

Tofu

Thanks so much for all of those reads, @bluepebbles! One of my favorite things about watching sageuk dramas is learning a bit about the history they are roughly based on. :hearties:

1 hour ago, abs-oluteM said:

Oh my this pre- release clip is so heart breaking. Is this how On Dal’s mum died ? 

I've watched this clip many times now and it gets to me every time. So much emotions and I'm going to assume that's how On Dal's mom died. There were photos of the baby (who Lady Sa is holding) floating around social media saying it's baby On Dal. 

@Jane - I think the pre-released clips add to the excitement a bit. I can't remember if they released any at the beginning but noticed that there's been an increased of them lately. 

• Sad 3
On 3/19/2021 at 11:12 PM, Tofu said:

Hahaha! It's because I'm just making fun of his name. His name is really Go Won Pyo.

Wait, it really was the sauce?! I thought it was just some old timey-wimey Korean title!

20 hours ago, Tofu said:

I think the pre-released clips add to the excitement a bit. I can't remember if they released any at the beginning but noticed that there's been an increased of them lately. 

It certainly does! I can see that its also a good way to continue integrating NIW into viewers' minds and erase the previous actor from memories.

@bluepebbles Thank you for sharing the history behind the drama! Knowing the historical reference points does add to the understanding of the show.

• Like 3

Episode 11 gif mad cap - part 1

Spoiler

General Go Geun knows that Mo Yong is a spy ! Of course, he's not a general for nothing. What is interesting on this scene is he's watching Mo Yong sleeping and blurting he knows. 

I had no idea Da'vonne was the woman in this meme. Mind blown. :  MtvChallenge

When he met Gochuchang, he denied that something is up with Mo Yong. Gochuchang instructed Go Geun to keep an eye on Pyeonggang. *Cue flashback of his last Gajin 'i don't choose you' hug.

Back to PyeongOn 's sparring duel, the scene is longer this time--with a mad Moochin chasing the bamboo forest to give Ondal a great amount of scolding. (and yes , another Kang Sky montage. Who are we to complain!)

Angry Old Lady GIFs | Tenor

The confrontation (we watched from the trailer last week) is really hard to watch. While Ondal keeps on denying, Moochin can't be fooled. Moochin 's blaming Pyeonggang for luring Ondal on this mess.  Ondal admitted that he wishes to learn the sword because he wants to become a general like his Father. Omo sorry OnHyeop but your son is just like you. 

▷ Lion King: Animated Images, Gifs, Pictures & Animations - 100% FREE!

Pyeonggang tried to make amends, so does Ondal. That night she asks Ondal to talk again to Moochin, telling her earnest, sincere thoughts. 

Chief Woonam, Pyeonggang's foster dad, and Hongmae talked about what happened too. Their worries ended that Dal and Pyeonggang are perfect match . Instead of minding other business, they went to check their armory. 

Dal went to talk again to Moochin. "It is what I want. I dream of becoming a great general" . Moochin then discretely approves, she can no longer do anything at this point .PyeongOn are quite relieved Moochin approves. 

Back to chief assasin, he is mad that Mo Yong is still alive. He got an invitation from Mo Yong instead. Another alliance? Mo Yong is orchestrating , scheming things !

Mo Yong plans with Chief Monk to use the impregnation ceremony that the concubine requested as his gateway to enter the palace. Mo Yong warns that there will complications when they execute the plan.

Mo yong asks why Chief Monk wanted to kill the King so badly. He was a priest of the palace before, broke the law by having a secret wife and a child. He was arrested by the guards, he survived on the run but his  family died eventually. 

Concubines convinces the King for the fortune teller to initiate the impregnation ceremony. The king approves. Now i'm curious HOW IS THIS DONE. 

Morning came, Dal still making aegyo with Moochin about him being gone for days for the training. This mother and son is so cute, I don't want them to part --yet . Pyeonggang noticed how many times Dal is sighing. Lucky you , Dal . You have a wife, a friend, a coach and a cheerleader. 

Cheer GIFs | Tenor

They met Wolgwang at the mountains. (May I commend on the best efforts of Tori, they did not discount the amazing cinematography while refilming. They deserve the best production award!)

Dal calls Wolgwang a Crazy Monk. LOL. 

Pyeonggang said he is the monk who saved her. That he is still looking after Dal and her. She asks him to have Dal as his new disciple. 

Next scene 

Duck Kiss GIFs | Tenor

Dal's first mission -- collect firewood and CATCH RABBIT :lol:

Chief assassin finally enters the palace thanks to Mo Yong. However here comes Go Geun keeping himself visible . He won't just let this go. 

During tea time, Queen is curious about concubine hanging out at King's quarter. She started to refuse the snacks offered to her and leaves. Queen confirms about Mo Yong's visit with the monk. 

At Wolgwang's training site, Dal complains about the house chores he is doing instead of learning swordmanship. Monk invites him at  his cave hideout , with enough space for him to remove his toxins in his body. haha. 

8 Zen Disney GIFs to Bring Inner Peace | Oh My Disney

• Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

Plop Cat GIFs | Tenor

That's a pretty intense kiss there, On Dal and Ga Jin. :smug: Haha!

Once he wields the sword, he is bound to see blood. That's the fate of a swordsman. 

This was heard loud and clear in this episode. On Dal experienced his first kill, his first taste of what it means to wield a sword. In the next episode, we will see how he process through all of this. 

I really enjoyed the scenes between On Dal and mochin. On Dal wants nothing but to be like his father, it has always been his dream. Whereas, mochin wants nothing but to protect On Dal like she promised his father. Such a twisted fate, but something that even mochin understands. I think that's why at the end of the episode, she basically said her work is done -- there's nothing more she can do for On Dal. 

The political aspect of his episode -- Go Won Pyo and his army decided to make their move. The King will suffer in the next episode because of this. 

12 hours ago, Jane said:

Wait, it really was the sauce?! I thought it was just some old timey-wimey Korean title!

Haha! I've realized I've given a name to most villain in the dramas I'm watching. In Long Long, I always referred to the villain as Thin Lips because his lips were really thin which made him seem even more evil. :eeeee:

• Haha 3
10 hours ago, Tofu said:

Haha! I've realized I've given a name to most villain in the dramas I'm watching. In Long Long, I always referred to the villain as Thin Lips because his lips were really thin which made him seem even more evil

Hahah! Well now I have to refer to him as Go Chu Jang too!

• Haha 3

Episode 12 gif mad cap

Spoiler

Thank goodness, Moochin is alive !!

Scream GIFs | Tenor

But then Dal is not over it yet, his first kill, first blood. Like a parallel to On Hyeop's trembling hands , this is like a mirror of what to become. He went back to the site to see again the soldiers he had killed. He buried them before he washed his hands.

Moochin woke up worrying about her children. 

Tea Bar time, Mo Yong knows about the secret and caught off guard by Go Geun. Go Geun suggested to take turns to tell each other secrets. 

Wait,   Go Sang Cheol who lead the ambush came back to the castle alive. :PsyWhat:

Truth or dare questions:

Lie Detector GIFs | Tenor

• Do you love me ? 
  • Is Go Geun a hopeless romantic waiting for Pyeonggang to come back?
  • Since when did you start? Spying for Silla. 

Omooo. 

But good grief, Mo Yong was saved  because of the  news. Go Geun is mad to his dad for learning about the ambush. 

Gochuchang admits he is indeed planning to kill PyeongOn couple. 

Go Geun warns his father about his plans. He might got burned. 

Morning came, Dal is not yet in the mood to fool around. Pyeonggang comforts him.

"The men i cut down, I see their eyes." 

Chicken Run / Tear Jerker - TV Tropes

Pyeonggang did not sugarcoat either. This is just only the beginning. Dal may get endless nightmares. Ah poor PyeongOn 

At the court, Gochuchang proposed to suppress Sunno tribe. He suspected that Pyeonggang might have been a hostage and need to be saved. King commands that anyone who mentions treason must be held accounted. Go Geun agrees. 

Pyeonggang informed the chief about what happened. She warns that there were be a possibility that they will be framed up once again. Cue kang sky flashback ! Chief expected this though so he sent letters to all their tribes men about the restoration of Sunno tribe. After a short meeting with the tribe, Pyeonggang asked Chief about what happened to General On Hyeop. 

PyeongOn went to his mom's grave, the stone grave On Hyeop did not able to tell to Dal . 

Flashback to On Hyeop's mourning (pre-released clip). Ah, kang sky is stealing again this show. 

Crying GIFs | Tenor

Dal went to the grave. He retrieved the long buried sword and went back to Pyeonggang. 

In the palace, the Queen meets the chief monk/fortune teller. He warns a strong dangerous aura from the King . 

The king meanwhile met again one of his ally , thinking about the alliance and possibility that Sunno tribe is in danger. The Northern Zhou is also mentioned, so yes the first battle of Dal is coming. 

Gochuchang met Mo Yong to plot about poisoning the King. Mo yong is challenged about her loyalty. MOrning came and she met Go Geun.. Go Geun is threatening her to tell about the agreement between her and the princess. But mo yong spilled Go Geun's plans to him instead.  Like father like son. 

Night came, Go Geun is patrolling when he met his dad. He was about to say something but held back.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Party! 1

Plop Cat GIFs | Tenor

Episode 12 gif mad cap-part 2

Spoiler

Dal decided to go back to the mountains unannounced, but Pyeonggang caught up with him. 

Ghost village continues their make over to Sunno tribe. Wolgwang make a short visit. Pyeonggang feels guilty about Dal having a rough road because of her. Monk gave her a ted talk to resolve her confusion instead. 

Ondal was looking for his master but found Gajin .

The sword dance ! It brings me back the feels of a couple in vain in the film "The Duelist"  (but i find it funny that i reference the BGM from GOT lmao sorry)

There's a pretty lotus pond. Don't go there. — “It was last winter…and a  man and a woman were...

Next scene, more kissu! . Are we going to have kiss scenes in every episode?

Smooch! (GIF!) by QueenBluestar on DeviantArt

They reconciled by having a memento--the necklace was remade to couple bracelets !

At the palace, King and Crown prince having meal together. King suddenly collapses. Is this the poison ?  Queen rushed to his quarters . The physician can't find his real illness. Crown Prince suspects food poisoning. But Queen remembers what the monk said. She went to see the locked up monk to ask about the medicine. Go Geun saw him. Flashbacks with Mo yong instructing her to make an antidote. the poison is not a simple one though. Solution, they used the chief monk!

With this Gochochang is fuming mad to Mo Yong. 

We have more Go Geun x Mo yong scenes !

While the King is recovering, the Queen and monk alluded to plot their plans using the Crown Prince. 

Crown prince being a smart as he is refused to sign. 

Roll Safe GIFs | Tenor

Goes to plan B- Gyeru tribe's advance party is on their way to Sunno's tribe. 

Pyeonggang gave to chief the broken sword to be fixed . The Sunno's back up arrived just in time with the arrival of Gyeru's troops. 

Mo yong is about to leave the palace but Go Geun asks him to stay!

:GrimChamp:

"I will open my heart for you"

Mo yong retracts--the person in your heart is in trouble. Why Mo yong, whyy

Go Geun confirms the subjugation plan from his father and accepts his order to attack/suppress the rebellion. Poor Go Geun. 

At the Gyeri's camp, Pyeonggang exchange herself with pung gae and the twins as hostage.As they were released,  Pung gae decided to look for Dal. 

The King woke up only to learn about the news. 

Cue on the preview of the Northern Zhou attack. 

At the Gyeru's tribe, Go Geun arrived, he used the King is sick card. Pyeonggang fires back on his intention. 

"You just kill me only"

Ondal arrived ! The news about the Northern Zhou arrived!

Preview:

Spoiler

More kisses!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Party! 1

Plop Cat GIFs | Tenor

@bluepebbles - I love all your recaps with the gifs. They make my mornings because I can't watch the episode until later. 

I'm still watching episode 12. I just got done watching the scene with Kang Ha Neul and I'm a bit of an emotional mess. That scene is so heartbreaking. :pandasadspoon:

Will be back to comment once I finish the episode. 

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 1

On Dal learned in today's episode who it was that his father took him to visit when he was younger. This was the turning point for him to accept the fate of a swordsman -- something he was struggling with at the beginning of the episode. Na In Woo has really made this role his own and I'm glad that I continued to watch this drama after Jisoo's scandal. I'm just at awe with how well Na In Woo has adjusted. I'm glad that nothing happened to Mochin and she's slowly recovering. The Ghost Valley villagers makes me smile every time I watch them. They are unconditional in all that they do. How can you not want only great things to happen to them?

General Go and Mo Yong -- out of the both of them, I have the most sympathy for Mo Yong. She's being used in so many ways and if she doesn't follow through, death is the consequence. She can't even run away because General Go used her love for him against her. What do you mean she has to make you open your heart to her? No. Don't do that to her. Mo Yong has gone through too much -- I'm glad that she didn't give in to his request. General Go is getting a bit greedy -- his love for Pyeong Gang, using Mo Yong, and gaining the King's and his father's trust. The person we once knew at the beginning of the drama is slowing disappearing, he no longer stands up to his father. Even though he makes a fuss, he accepts all the orders given. There is a possibility that this version of him might just be a façade to throw off his father too. Either way, I don't know if I can trust his actions. Are you helping the King and Pyeong Gang or are you just another one of your father's minion? :pandathink: 

Wow, so many kiss scenes in the next episode! Suddenly, I'm a bit overwhelmed by the amount of kiss scenes we're getting -- definitely not complaining though. Haha! 

• Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 1

Thanks so much for the recaps @bluepebbles. I am all caught up !

What I liked about these episodes were that they did not gloss over the emotional journey of On Dal in becoming a warrior. For someone who could not even harm animals , what more kill someone to protect the women he loved, it was critical to show how it affected him when he had blood on his hands for the 1st time. On Dal needed his own reason for taking up the sword - it will not be possible for him to be a great general like his father merely because he was following PG's lead. It was also good that they showed PG's own conflicted feelings about getting On Dal to do this. TBH, it has felt that OD is giving a lot more in this relationship than she is. And that PG  was so pre-occupied by her plans for reviving the tribe to strengthen the support for her father , that she may have neglected how he will adapt to all this since he had never been raised to fight. So it was good that they took some time there to address these things. Bonus of course are all the sweet kisses.

For what it's worth , the King is getting his act together over the episodes. He roped  General Go in but he is not trusting Go entirely.  I was also quite impressed with young Prince Won. I thought him to be very wise and discerning for his young age , and he handled those dirty tribe leaders very well when his father was ill. He has the makings of a great king - and I am just hoping for him to be reunited with his sister so that he may have her strong & positive influence. 

General Go in the last 2 episodes played a dangerous game. He pretended to be on the King's side but he was of course still being filial and advancing his father's plans. Yet you can tell he is often not in agreement with his father. While I think his heart is still set on PG, he is also somewhat taken in by Mo Yong. He was using her , and she was smart enough to know that but I do think he is not as heartless as his father. I am not sure if that kiss in the preview was a result of honest feelings on his part or perhaps a moment of passion, but it is going to be a rather complicated relationship even without PG in the picture given that she is a Silla spy.  And though Mo Yong is good at deception and putting on many masks, her affections for Go is genuine hence she was willing to tell him the truth about his father's plans to poison the King. 

• Like 3

Mon-Tues: Lovely Runner  Wed-Thurs: -  Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: The Midnight Romance in Hagwon Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - 

Thank you @mademoiselle for the behind the scenes ! Omo , shyboy Inwoo is cute . 

Snippet on the bts

And yay for good news!

“River Where The Moon Rises” To Re-Film First 6 Episodes With Na In Woo As On Dal

by D. Kim
“River Where the Moon Rises” has announced their decision to re-film the first six episodes.

It was first confirmed on March 5 that Na In Woo will be taking over the role of On Dal following Ji Soo‘s departure from the drama. Since then, the drama has finished re-filming all scenes from episodes 7 through 18 that include On Dal.

However, as replays of the first six episodes were removed from Korean VOD sites, many fans of the drama, especially new viewers, expressed their wishes to also watch the previous episodes.

As a result, “River Where the Moon Rises” will be re-filming the first six episodes with Na In Woo to provide on VOD sites.

The production team commented, “There is an increasing amount of viewers who are expressing their hopes to watch episodes 1 through 6 again. In order to help current viewers be more immersed in the drama and also lure in new viewers, we will re-film episodes 1 through 6 and resume replay services. Please look forward to episodes 1 through 6 that will be completely recreated with Na In Woo’s On Dal.”

“River Where the Moon Rises” airs every Monday and Tuesday at 9:30 p.m. KST.

• Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 1

Plop Cat GIFs | Tenor

On 3/24/2021 at 10:34 PM, bluepebbles said:

“River Where The Moon Rises” To Re-Film First 6 Episodes With Na In Woo As On Dal

I am so glad they are re-filming and I haven't skimmed through the original six episodes yet. Now I can watch NIW all the way through as Ondal. But ugh I am so conflicted now if I should wait for the six episodes to finish and so that I can follow the drama in narrative order or continue to watch the new eps!

And wow I can't believe its only been 20 days and they re-filmed all the Ondal scenes already?! Major kudos to the cast and crew who are working so hard to keep this drama going at its best!

• Like 3

A part of me hopes that General Go falls in love with Mo Yong, but I also know that she might just be a pawn in the game he's playing. If it does turn out that he truly have fallen in love with her, this scene would look a little different, wouldn't it?

669a12838d30797c53c94d4934080d8d72d126f8

a2e0e612cd4deb23e0cb56e2cee3fcc6a5c1c463

566e89264a75b42b75c6c48421cdc882a2e5b909

Spoiler

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 1

I watched Episode 11 today. Random thoughts that popped up in my head as I watched.

Gosh, General Go seems to be playing many sides huh? If his heart is truly still with Ga-jin, is it safe to assume he is ultimately protecting the King and feeding his father just enough information to keep him from suspecting him?

Can anyone share with me what does Cheonjubang mean in reference to the priest? Is it some of sect or group from the word 'bang'? He has a rather curious backstory, I wonder what made the King (or perhaps another enemy) go after him and his family. I don't think the backstory is as simple as he related it.

I was really touched when the King asked Ga-jin about how On-dal was as a husband to her. For all his failings or weaknesses, to me he seems to at least want to be the best father he could be.

I really loved the scene where Ga-jin cried to Mochin about being so happy to finally have a mother and Mo-chin to acknowledge her as a daughter. It was such a powerful scene for Ga-jin's character and how young she still is, despite her warrior princess exterior. 

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 1

2 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

I was just about to start watching, but since they’re going to reshoot ep.1-6, should I wait? 🤔 Does anyone knows when they will make the reshot episodes available?

good news !

Update: “River Where The Moon Rises” To Re-Film First 6 Episodes With Na In Woo As On Dal + Episode 1 Available Soon

Update: “River Where The Moon Rises” To Re-Film First 6 Episodes With Na In Woo As On Dal + Episode 1 Available Soon

Updated March 28 KST:

Episodes 1 to 6 of “River where the Moon Rises” with Na In Woo as On Dal are coming to us sooner than expected!

On March 28, the drama revealed that episode 1 will be available on VOD services starting March 29 KST.

A source from the drama explained, “Thanks to director Yoon Sang Ho’s decisiveness and the cast and staff’s cooperation, we are able to show viewers the first episode of ‘River Where the Moon Rises’ on VOD services sooner than we had anticipated. We will do our best to also provide episodes 2 to 6 on VOD services as soon as possible.”

Source (1)

• Like 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

Plop Cat GIFs | Tenor

On 3/27/2021 at 10:26 AM, Jane said:

Can anyone share with me what does Cheonjubang mean in reference to the priest? Is it some of sect or group from the word 'bang'? He has a rather curious backstory, I wonder what made the King (or perhaps another enemy) go after him and his family. I don't think the backstory is as simple as he related it.

I looked up Cheonjubang (천주방) and it means "heavenly kitchen". I don't know what that means in reference to the group (that's their name). Doo Joon-seo, the leader of the group, was the Imperial fortune teller and also an expert in witchcraft. 

That's really quick that they will have episode one filmed, edited, and released by tomorrow! :LarvitarSDab1:

• Like 1
  • Insightful 2