The Red Sleeve Cuff 옷소매 붉은 끝동 [2021-22]

I am done with eps 10 with subs. And though I missed SanDeok in the 2nd half , I did think that the drama does want to stay true to its title and perspective of viewing romance & San's ascension from a court lady's perspective. And even the challenges & barriers for San comes from the maneuvering of a court lady .  Though I complained earlier, but coming to think of it the flow is fine and still pretty cohesive. Hopefully audience can be patient . I think in eps 11, it will be San's final test before he replaces his grandfather.

I thought it interesting  the conversation between Jo and YeongJo. I don't hate Jo entirely - as in I understand  her reasons for wanting to be the King maker. After all the court ladies lives & fates are intertwined with the sort of ruler that they will have to serve. But yet realising that the King chose Yeongbin over her, surely there's a personal grudge and I can't help but think this entire secret organisation is a bitter reaction to the King not keeping his word to her.

Deok Ro and San's complex servant-master relationship entered testy waters again. DR telling San that Deok Im wasn't the only one who saved him. Telling him to just sleep with Deok Im thinking what San has for Deok Im is just lust & a temporary crush. Deok Ro's insecurities and his animosity towards Deok Im will continue to grow since we know that for San , Deok Im is the most precious person in the world. 

• Like 1

Mon-Tues: Lovely Runner  Wed-Thurs: -  Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: The Midnight Romance in Hagwon Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - 

I went over to TRS's bulletin board in MBC's website (one has to register before posting) and there were a lot of posts made after episode 10 was aired. I think I browsed almost 6 pages as of this time to check each subject title. There was one which had constructive criticism.

The audience was used to the jampacked pacing of the episodes so what was presented for episode 10 is a little slower than the others. I think one of the reasons why as it goes on, it was not received well (except for episode 9) because it ends up being a "filler episode". As far as I can remember, there was no filler episode so far from TRS. So this could be a little unusual for the audience to see it due to the pattern presented in first half.

I noticed that one of the strengths of a good drama despite I being a picky viewer is that the writer has laid out how it should be presented. Viewers could see it in about 4 to 6 episodes. So one of the bulletin board posts said that maybe the director had trouble in editing episode 10 that it looks incomplete. 

I think if they ended up scrapping out some parts, then I think we shall expect more deleted scenes coming soon? As to which ones are deleted, well I wish them good luck cause if viewers weren't happy with the selection. Then boom.

• Insightful 1

@suhodorable @czakhareina finally an answer about the crown Princess . So I think MBC had to consider that new generation of audience may not be able to handle outright polygamy in their face . So I guess they rather just not address this & leave the her out of the show 

• Thanks 1

Mon-Tues: Lovely Runner  Wed-Thurs: -  Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: The Midnight Romance in Hagwon Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - 

The Red sleeve' 14 interesting facts you didn't know!

'The Red Sleeve' The real story of 'Isan' and 'Deokim' you were curious about

Spoiler

14 things you didn't know about 'The Red sleeve' Seong Deok-im 'Eui bin seong'

Spoiler

5 K-drama male leads who go from tough guys to total “softies” after falling in love

Kien Pham | December 10, 2021

Don’t let these male characters fool you at first. 

Some K-drama male leads may look cold and distant at the beginning, but once they fall in love, they immediately change 180 degrees and cannot get any cuter. Let’s take a look at 5 examples of this character trope in recent K-dramas. 

Yi San (The Red Sleeve)

https://cdn.kbizoom.com/media/2021/12/10093106/Yi-San-The-Red-Sleeve-101221.jpg

The Red Sleeve is getting positive results thanks to its engrossing and unique storyline. The male lead, Crown Prince Yi San (Lee Jun Ho) is aloof, arrogant and often acts cold towards people around him. 

But after falling in love, he completely changes. He even becomes a bit silly, holding a book upside down when reading, eavesdropping on the court ladies’ conversation. When he finds out that the girl he has feelings for also likes him, he is beyond happy but still pretending to be calm and collected. 

COMPLETE LIST HERE: https://kbizoom.com/5-k-drama-male-leads-who-go-from-tough-guys-to-total-softies-after-falling-in-love/

• Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1

Short clip Cast on getting over 10% viewership [Eng Sub]

“The Red Sleeve” And Its Stars Continue To Reign Over Most Buzzworthy Drama And Actor Rankings

Dec 15, 2021 | by E. Cha

Once again, MBC’s “The Red Sleeve” has dominated this week’s rankings of the most buzzworthy dramas and actors!

For the fifth consecutive week, “The Red Sleeve” topped Good Data Corporation’s weekly list of the dramas that generated the most buzz. The company determines each week’s rankings by collecting data from news articles, blog posts, online communities, videos, and social media about dramas that are either currently airing or set to air soon.

Not only did “The Red Sleeve” remain the most buzzworthy drama of the week, but its stars Lee Se Young and 2PM’s Lee Junho continued to sweep the top two spots on the list of most buzzworthy drama cast members this week.

Meanwhile, KBS’s new historical drama “The King of Tears, Lee Bang Won” made a strong start as the No. 2 most buzzworthy drama in its first week on air.

tvN’s “Happiness” stayed strong at No. 3 on the list of most buzzworthy dramas in its final week on air, while stars ZE:A’s Park Hyung Sik and Han Hyo Joo ranked No. 9 and No. 10 respectively on the actor list.

SBS’s new drama “Our Beloved Summer” entered the drama rankings at No. 4, and its stars Kim Da Mi and Choi Woo Shik came in at No. 3 and No. 7 respectively on the list of most buzzworthy drama cast members.

• The top 10 dramas that generated the most buzz in the second week of December are as follows:
  1. MBC’s “The Red Sleeve”
  2. KBS 1TV’s “The King of Tears, Lee Bang Won”
  3. tvN’s “Happiness”
  4. SBS’s “Our Beloved Summer”
  5. KBS 2TV’s “The King’s Affection”
  6. tvN’s “Jirisan”
  7. KBS 2TV’s “Young Lady and Gentleman”
  8. SBS’s “Now We Are Breaking Up”
  9. tvN’s “Melancholia”
  10. KBS 2TV’s “Secret Royal Inspector & Joy”
Spoiler

Most-Buzzworthy-Dramas.jpg

• Meanwhile, the top 10 drama actors that generated the most buzz this week are as follows:
  1. Lee Se Young (“The Red Sleeve”)
  2. Lee Junho (“The Red Sleeve”)
  3. Kim Da Mi (“Our Beloved Summer”)
  4. Park Eun Bin (“The King’s Affection”)
  5. Song Hye Kyo (“Now We Are Breaking Up”)
  6. Lee Do Hyun (“Melancholia”)
  7. Choi Woo Shik (“Our Beloved Summer”)
  8. Im Soo Jung (“Melancholia”)
  9. Park Hyung Sik (“Happiness”)
  10. Han Hyo Joo (“Happiness”)

Spoiler

Most-Buzzworthy-Drama-Cast-Members.jpg

LINK: https://www.soompi.com/article/1503750wpp/the-red-sleeve-and-its-stars-continue-to-reign-over-most-buzzworthy-drama-and-actor-rankings

2PM’s Lee Junho And Oh Dae Hwan Have An Abundance Of Silly Ideas While Filming “The Red Sleeve”

Dec 14, 2021 | by S. Nam

MBC’s “The Red Sleeve” released a new behind-the-scenes video!

2PM’s Lee Junho gets ready by stretching before a scene in which he has to sit down for a long time. As soon as the camera starts rolling, he immerses himself in his role with a steady and serious gaze while paying attention to his character’s emotions.

The director can’t help but laugh when Oh Dae Hwan appears in the King’s clothing, commenting on how much bigger he is than the King. Oh Dae Hwan explains, “It’s because I’m wearing armor.” Oh Dae Hwan skillfully faces off against an assassin, and he ends the scene by posing hilariously after parting his royal robes. One of the staff members yell, “Stop it, don’t do that,” but no one can stop Oh Dae Hwan as he comically shakes his hips.

After Lee Junho practices wielding a bow outside, he finally reunites with Oh Dae Hwan. Lee Junho reveals that Oh Dae Hwan went to the emergency room the previous night due to enteritis, and Oh Dae Hwan adds that he’s been going back and forth to the bathroom. The actor explains, “That’s why I didn’t want to have an action scene today, just in case.”

When Lee Junho asks if Oh Dae Hwan is perfectly prepared for their teamwork, Oh Dae Hwan honestly replies that he isn’t. Lee Junho tells him to lie, and Oh Dae Hwan immediately changes his answer and comments, “[Our teamwork] is no joke.” Observing Oh Dae Hwan touching his prop sword, Lee Junho playfully remarks, “He’s a man who touches a real sword with his bare hands.” However, Oh Dae Hwan pretends to play golf with his blade instead.

While waiting for filming to begin, Oh Dae Hwan gets a silly idea and slides down the smooth side of the stairs dramatically with his sword in hand. Lee Junho bows to the staff and asks them to be careful, and Oh Dae Hwan simply copies him by nodding along and adding, “Me too.”

“The Red Sleeve” airs every Friday and Saturday at 9:50 p.m. KST. Watch the full making-of video below!

LINK: https://www.soompi.com/article/1503445wpp/watch-2pms-lee-junho-and-oh-dae-hwan-have-an-abundance-of-silly-ideas-while-filming-the-red-sleeve

Edited by czakhareina
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Party! 1

OST Teasers

네가 불어오는 이곳에서 난 여전히  by Xia Junsu

Jeon Sang-geun - I'll take a step back

Another version of the Ep9-10 behind the scenes

Spoiler

Lee Seyoungs Allure Feature, she mentioned ratings promise if they reach 15% to go with Junho'sdragon robe dance

Spoiler

hahaha she is such a hoot...!!!

Radio Star hosts talking about TRS ratings and Junho ratings promise

Spoiler

• Like 1
  • Party! 1
46 minutes ago, czakhareina said:

She talks about TRS: 

Sharing room & sleeping together scene...:GrimChamp: but ahhh I am trying to manage my expectation. What if it is just literally sleeping next to each other? ahahaha I meant this is like prime time television, not even a cable network late in the night. LOL 

• Haha 2

Episode 10 Still cuts

Relased by MBC

Lee Seyoung Uodatedbher IG 

Dec/13/2021

Note: she is still wearing her court lady clothes

So Are they gonna drag and make it as painful as possible for this two to be together?

Junho's response to Namgoong Min's Food truck support that he posted jn his IG story

Spoiler

1 hour ago, abs-oluteM said:

Sharing room & sleeping together scene...:GrimChamp: but ahhh I am trying to manage my expectation. What if it is just literally sleeping next to each other? ahahaha I meant this is like prime time television, not even a cable network late in the night. LOL 

My mind is running wild, they did allow Junho bathing scene as well as the choke hold. That kinda feels racy... or i quantify that statement " it did race have my heart to a thousand beats". Kekeke

But then i remember SHK and JKY 'night' also felt a bit toned down with its R19 rating. So you are most probably are right, we should taper our expectation... hahaha

Edited by czakhareina
  • Haha 2
On 12/14/2021 at 1:00 AM, abs-oluteM said:

@suhodorable @czakhareina finally an answer about the crown Princess . So I think MBC had to consider that new generation of audience may not be able to handle outright polygamy in their face . So I guess they rather just not address this & leave the her out of the show 

I wish they did not do that, especially since they emphasized in following history.

And that reasonung seems dull, cause I've been watching CDrama, and story of Yanxi was the bomb even with all the harem crap going...

Though i guess given that the promos of this drama is more on mourful romance.. emphasize on romance at this point. I guess having San have a legal wife while DeokIm is just concubine does not bode well to the narrative of it being that full in wholesome romantic drama. 

I also did read somewhere, that even in the novel, the princess consort and later queen did not get much highlight. San seems to have dislike for her and everyone knew it, so there was not much intereaction... and that consort did not do much politics and just stayed in her court room. Thinking about it, that queen was rather very pitiful. She was married to the San at duch a young age, she probably was pressured to bear children for decades, and then you get to see you husband have this greag love for another girl and disregard you... i guess putting that in would not make such a great Romantic ML, he'd just be a douche. 

@Hyacinth0910

I read that earlier, and i am so haply she seems satisfied with seyoung. Cause Seyoung's deokim has been phenomenal... she is just so awesome in great moments... but the comedic ones also. 

Translated part of Novel that Shows the married life of San and Deokim

Spoiler:

Spoiler

Gonna park this here again cause...

... that is why DeokIm Jumped San. No amount of excuses can be said.

MBC released HD stills of episode9-10 with Kang Hoon

Edited by czakhareina
  • Insightful 1
  • Haha 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

the clowning we (me, @czakhareina @abs-oluteM) made about what truly shakes Deok Im is just so accurate that even Lee Se Young confirmed it herself LOL

Lee Se Young dropped a historical spoiler so please read at your own discretion

Spoiler

More on Kang Mi Kang (the novel's author) interview

Spoiler

Junho's behind the scene vlog on his action scene is trending on YouTube!

One of the journalists from Forbes recommended The Red Sleeve as part of "The 20 Best Korean Dramas of 2021".

Link: https://www.forbes.com/sites/joanmacdonald/2021/12/15/the-21-best-korean-dramas-of-2021/?sh=93d9a0a65914

Excerpt:

spacer.png

Also additional info on their last filming day:

More novel spoiler about SanDeok's first night together

Spoiler

Edited by suhodorable
  • Insightful 1

@suhodorable @abs-oluteM

Hahaha i will never get over the fact that bath scene. 

and if you compare it to the scene where DI was supposedly running with all her might to get to San at the ep9-10, and when they finally meet the DI was tired but never out of breath. compared as to bath scene, when she was laboredly breathing. Kekekeke

More spoiler of married life:

Spoiler

I wonder if they will ever show this part. I hope so. Cause it is just adorable

Yay...! JUNHO action scene getting his recognition. Yay... yay...

For the most parts it was like he was just dancing... then add his acrobatics skills he honed as a beast-idol made him really freakin cool doing all those action scenes... makes me remember his awesome scenes in Memories of the Sword. Which was the movie that really made me noticed him....!!!

And the latest stills MBC released...

The way san is holding her face ... and then we also have DI reaching and touching Sans face in her imagination... their face touching makes me think of them as Junho and Seyoung, the cat parents...

Edited by czakhareina
  • Haha 2
2 hours ago, suhodorable said:

One of the journalists from Forbes recommended The Red Sleeve as part of "The 20 Best Korean Dramas of 2021".

I went through her list ...I watched all the shows (thanks to Covid lock downs) except for 3. I do agree with this show being on the list. I love many of those she mentioned. But overall I think Vincenzo, Beyond Evil and this show top the list for me. 

Yes all our clowing came through. :laugh:

4 hours ago, czakhareina said:

I also did read somewhere, that even in the novel, the princess consort and later queen did not get much highlight. San seems to have dislike for her and everyone knew it, so there was not much intereaction... and that consort did not do much politics and just stayed in her court room. Thinking about it, that queen was rather very pitiful. She was married to the San at duch a young age, she probably was pressured to bear children for decades, and then you get to see you husband have this greag love for another girl and disregard you... i guess putting that in would not make such a great Romantic ML, he'd just be a douche. 

Me too...I do feel bad for the queen and I would not want to be in her place. But then again women of those times live lives that are dictated by someone else.

Gosh eps 13 to 15 are on Christmas Eve & Christmas night....oh nooooo...such a busy period. Don't know how I can watch it live / recap. Sniff.

• Haha 1