The Red Sleeve Cuff 옷소매 붉은 끝동 [2021-22]

20 hours ago, Mizv said:

FAIL! There is no kiss.  San is drunk and fell asleep 

IKR ....I was a little sore ...I should have expected it but I was hoping against hope.

2 hours ago, czakhareina said:

But christmas eve changed plans and i was abke to watch live streaming of check twitter so waited for subbed vids to be released. And i think i'll do that foe tonight. Will wait for subs for both episode to get the full experience.

In the middle of dinner , I had to go on Naver to look for spoilers. LOL...I was desperate to see what would happen. :laugh:

Anyway bc of Christmas, I am unable to recap or even watch. Let's see if I can catch something tonight.

Thanks for updates all. 

• Like 2

Mon-Tues: Lovely Runner  Wed-Thurs: -  Fri-Sat:  -  Sat-Sun: The Midnight Romance in Hagwon Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - 

img.gif

""What is the King's Affection, 

Is it to kill the child of his love

So that the woman lives as a ghost of her former self.

I'm different from you, grandfather

I am going to protect those I love no matter what.

I am never going to love the way you love."

img.gif

"If I become a royal concubine,

I need to give everything to you.

and I will have nothing.

All human are the same,

When you give everything to someone,

You will want to recieve everything as well.

But Your majesty,

you are a person who can not do that"

img.gif

Edited by czakhareina
  • Heart Eyes 2

Deok Im must be the woman with strongest resolve ever.... For me, ep.13 is so full of tension in terms of the loveline. On one hand I can understand the reason why she doesn’t want to be the hoogong, but on the other hand, I cannot understand how she can say no to this person of power, the king, a gentleman, yet still stay by his side... That takes a lot of resolve. I feel so sad watching the last scene of ep.13. 

Edited by ktcjdrama
  • Heart Eyes 1

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

A quick recap for eps 14

Lee San (Junho) welcomes Won Bin Hong as his concubine. Seong Deok-im (Lee Se-young) had to stand guard (night shift) to protect the happang ( first night btwn husband & wife)  between Lee San and Won Bin Hong. Seong Deok-im said, "This is just a court lady's job." (yes she was affected by it)

Seong-deok-im wakes up and sees Lee San sitting next to her and is surprised to learn that it was not a dream. Seong Deok-im asked, “How are you here?” Lee San answered, “If there is one good thing about being a king, it is that no one dares says anything to me. No matter what I do, no matter where I go, no one stops me.”

Lee San said, “I am offended because of you. You are so amazing that I think of you even while I am immersed in government affairs. Today, I was confused with thoughts of you . My heart is saddened when I think that it must be the day you stand keeping guard here . But I was kind of worried. Then I see you fall  asleep here." Lee San said, “It’s annoying. It's a shame." He expresses his feelings to Seongdeok-im, who doesn't know his heart.

Hong Deok-ro (Kang Hoon) even manipulates the "happang"  to get Won Bin Hong to be appointed. Tae-ho Kang (played by Dae-hwan Oh) told Hong Deok-ro, “It doesn’t mean that your Majesty isn’t angry when you say you won’t be punished. Your ambition is a concern. It is bad,” he said. Hong Deok-ro said, “I have confidence. I am holding and shaking His Majesty’s heart.” However, he feels anxious that Lee San does not call himself Gyujanggak. ( must be appointment for some important post) 

Wonbin Hong became ill at a young age and died suddenly, and Hong Deok-ro is angry at this. Hong Deok-ro said, “There is no sudden death of my sister  who was fine. It must have been Junggungjeon's (Court Ladies)  work." Hong Deok-ro kidnaps and tortures the court ladies in Junggung Palace, while Seong-deok-im is afraid of the disappearance of her comrade Kyung-hee.

Deok Im  who saw that the incense bag that fell into the lake belonged to Kyung-hee and jumped into the water. San rebukes her , saying, “Did you try to kill yourself?” Deok-im sheds tears and says, “Kyung-hee is gone.” San  promises to find Kyung-hee, saying, “If you cry, I feel like a helpless person.”

San knows that Hong Deok-ro kidnaps and tortures the court ladies,  and maids of the Junggung Palace, but he waits to find solid evidence to punish Hong Deok-ro. Seong Deok-im secretly writes a letter to Queen Dowager (Jang Hee-jin) to save her comrade, but San intercepts the letter.

Deok-ro Hong can't give up his greed, saying to Seong-duk-im, who learned of his scheme, "If everything goes according to my will, my sister should be with a child." Seong Deok-im is threatened by Hong Deok-ro while refusing, “You can’t harm Jung Jeon Ma-ma (Queen Dowager) .” San find Deok Im  and punishes Hongdeokro. Hong Deok-ro is shocked that Lee San did not consider himself 'his person' and blames himself, saying, "I have lost hope to live."
MBC sleeve red tip capture

Lee San is furious at the fact that Seong-deok-im did not believe in him. Seong Deok-im said, “Your Majesty is always a calculating person. It is as important to me as life,” she retorts. Lee San said, “You are the first woman I fell in love with and asked to be part of my family. But yet you are the one who rejected everything.” In anger, Seongdeok-im replies, “I have never been in love with His Majesty.” Lee San grabs her & kisses her 

14659417_741390_3753.jpg

• Thanks 1

Mon-Tues: Lovely Runner  Wed-Thurs: -  Fri-Sat:  -  Sat-Sun: The Midnight Romance in Hagwon Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - 

On 12/24/2021 at 6:47 PM, czakhareina said:

....extreme sadness and heartbreaking feeling?

And then PD jung is also caught mentioning how worse it will be for the part of DI's death...

Ohmy this drama is really gonna break me and want me dead. 

:thinking: After Scarlet Heart Ryeo, I think I can handle “extreme sadness and heartbreaking feeling”.... but you’re all welcome to watch me eat my words :pandaheadstomp:

• Haha 1

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

Just finished watching live. Whew. My heart.  I don’t know if I can handle anymore historical dramas.  My blood pressure has hit the max watching these dramas.  In the past it has always been romantic and comedy.  So this drama and Kings Affection has been so deep it hurts my heart.   

just be warned it’s heavy!  My heart needs to heal before I watch with subs.  

• Sad 1
  • Shocked 1

A quick recap for eps 15

( I do think by the end of this , she will accept his feelings - I hope so :heiboi:)

Lee San (Junho) feels deeply betrayed by the fact that Seong Deok-im (Lee Se-young) does not trust him. Lee San asks Seong Deok-im, who learns of Hong Deok-ro (Kang Hoon)'s scheme, "Why didn't you come and tell me?" Seongdeok-im said, “Your Majesty already knew everything. But you did not save the court ladies right away. A court lady is a lowly person, isn't she?" she asked.

Lee San is angry at Seong-deok-im, who does not believe in him and argues, and shouts, “The court lady!” Seong Deok-im said, "I've never seen His Majesty as a man." Lee San  force kisses Seong Deok-im. After that kiss, Lee San orders Seong Deok-im to leave the palace, saying, “Get out before the sun goes down.”

As soon as the sun rises, Lee San heads to the residence of the court ladies. But Seongdeok-im had already left. Lee San said, “I know that Deok-im has left. I'm just here to check."

Deok-im, who has left the palace, lives in the house of Princss Cheongyeon (San's sister) , while Lee- san decides to spend the day at the house of Princess Cheongyeon as the sun goes down while hunting. Seong Deok-im finds out that Lee San had actually deliberately sent her to work for Princess Cheongyeon, and she meets Lee San again.

Lee San appears in front of Seongdeokim and says, “I told you not to appear in front of me again, so why don’t you listen to me?” Lee San said, “You and Hong Deok-ro are no longer related to me.” Seong Deok-im said, “ When you come to Princess Cheongyeon's house, please pretend you didn't see me."

Lee San was angry at her arrogance when she asked him to punish her properly this time and said, “If I want to punish you, I have to untie even your clothes. Once you wear seungeun ( think as having slept with the king) , you can no longer be a court lady. If you don't receive the rank of a concubine even if you wear seungeun, you will spend the rest of your life in the back room and be despised. Isn't that what you fear the most?" He purposely hurt her with those harsh words . She burst into tears and he left her. 

On this day, Lee san welcomes Hwabin Yun as his new concubine, and Seong deok-im returns to the palace under the orders of Hyegyeonggung to serve Hwa Bin

Before returning to the palace, Seongdeok-im visited Hongdeok-ro and said, “I am returning to the palace. When Won Bin  passed away, I was always moved by the fact that it was because of Do Seung-ji.” He apologizes for his words. After that, Hong Deok-ro kills himself  in Saga, leaving a letter to Lee San before he dies. In the letter, Hong Deok-ro said, "I told Your Majesty  a lie from the beginning. I guess that was wrong. I said I tore the forbidden book and saved His Majesty,” he says. Lee San is  now convinced that Seong-deok-im is the the one  that saved him then in the forbidden book scandal . 

Hwabin Yun realizes that Yi San cares for her Deok Im alot and tests/ harasses her . Seeing that Deok Im who has been the one to prepare for the happang ( consummation  of marriage) , Lee San shouts at Deok Im , “Did you come back to the palace to do this kind of thing?” and the two exchange words that they do not mean to each other, hurting each other.

Hwabin Yun is furious that Seongdeok-im is favored by Yi-san, beats Seong-deok-im and tells her to do the laundry instead of another court lady.  Lee San witnesses this and is greatly angered, but cannot rebuke her strongly because Seong Deok-im is Hwa-bin's court lady.

When Lee San sees Seong-DeokIm crying alone, it breaks his heart, saying, “Why are you crying alone?” Seong Deok-im confesses that she cried when she heard the death of Hong Deok-ro. Lee San asked, “Are you the one who tore the forbidden book and hid it? I can’t even say I’m sorry to you anymore. But I'm going to say this. “Thank you.” “Is it too late? Now, is anything irreversible?” he fretted. Seong-deok-im hears Lee San's sincerity and holds Lee San's hand, and the two hug each other tightly and confirm their feelings.

• Thanks 1

I’ve only watched bits of ep.15 and then couldn’t load anymore. But reading your recaps above @abs-oluteM I really don’t know how Deok Im was able to hold her feelings in and be the one to prepare for the happang of the man she loves. She is one strong woman. I really can’t blame San for being mad at her for doing so. It must’ve hurt his heart as well to know what Deok Im’s heart and mind had to go through preparing for his happang... He is that kind of a man which made us fall in love with him too. As the king, San has no choice but to do so as it is part of his duties to produce an heir. Is it wrong to say if only Deok Im is willing to produce an heir for him, then he doesn’t have to sleep with other women anymore? 

• Heart Eyes 1

MTDzeiV.gif

3 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

s it wrong to say if only Deok Im is willing to produce an heir for him, then he doesn’t have to sleep with other women anymore? 

In some ways I think Deok Im was a woman born in the wrong era. It is clear to me she loves him the way he loves her but she cannot stand the idea that being a concubine meant having to share your husband with other women. Given the practices of those times , there was no way she could throw a fit if he found more concubines after her. I suppose in those times,  she also has no assurance that he would only be with her even if he produces an heir for him. I feel sorry for women then.

But I also feel so bad for San. He has been rejected so many times directly and indirectly but he could never let her go in his heart. I cannot blame him for needing to ensure there's succession as there are always enemies looking to remove him. 

• Heart Eyes 1

2 minutes ago, abs-oluteM said:

I suppose in those times,  she also has no assurance that he would only be with her even if he produces an heir for him. I feel sorry for women then.

I guess you’re right that there could never be that assurance for her. I definitely am glad I wasn’t born in that era! But see, even for a king, San is beyond gentleman. He could easily make Deok Im be his concubine, or sleep with her without having to take any responsibility, yet he didn’t, but instead he patiently waits and waits and waits. My heart hurts watching them torturing themselves. I feel so frustrated for them! Their scenes are mostly so very poignant and the BGM also always so on point in building the feels.

• Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

MTDzeiV.gif

@ktcjdramaI wonder if historically the King (San) was this gentlemanly. But in this show & the novel where I was told this is based on , he really was great. He had so many women at his disposal but he only wanted her. I read even the official Queen , he ignored ( I think on Wiki , she never produced him an heir) . 

Did you see the preview yet? She will be concubine next but it looks like it will be tinge with sadness among all their lovey dovey scenes - looks like they will be in mourning at one point..

Spoiler

for their first born who will die at the age of 4

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Really really have to prepare our hearts for the ending. I read that one of the last sites they went for shooting was the grave of Yi Bin (Deok Im’s title after becoming concubine). I think Junho’s acting of mourning her will definitely get to me :nervous: 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

MTDzeiV.gif

Happy holidays to everyone!   Currently waiting for dinner to start.   Was able watch ep 14 subbed.  Going to hold off for 15 later.   Keep getting distracted with fam around.  

The kiss was an bundle of emotions.  Could feel the vibe from both. 

sadly DI has put this wall up between her and San.  That’s is “sexually” frustrating and egotistical deflated for poor Sans ego. 

But San has to be given some good points.  he practically has waited FOREVER for DI.  hasn’t used his position of power to force her with him.

Many-have mentioned that DI was living in the wrong time line with the independent personality that she had.  Many have questioned if DI even loved or felt the same about San.

From this POV in drama, yes. DI loved San.  It takes such a strong woman to step aside and watch another woman  stand by her man side.  Though it is frustrating she should know San  most likely didn’t even touch the women. He had clearly sad he loves her only.   I think because this is  retelling of true history with input from the outside, it truly is easy to become  engrossed in the story emotionally.   

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

I just finished episode 14. Feel so bad for San and ache on behalf of him because of how the way both times Deok Im rejected him. First one for telling him to go to Won Bin when she knows so well that she is the one he had always wanted. Second time of course is the last scene before the kiss. She said it because she's angry but still, I'm pretty sure it's like a stab to the heart. Aigoo.

Seriously, this is such an awesome role/character and Lee Jun Ho played it soooo well. I'm even swooning at his sageuk style yelling. He's hot too when he's angry hahahaha. Deok Im keeps testing his patience and it is true, he's even more scarier now that he is king.

As for Won Bin, goodness me. I didn't realise she was so young, at age 13-14! She really is just a kid and played by a kid! It is uncomfortable just imagining a king having sex with a girl so young. I am glad it was played out in the drama San didn't go to her that night. In reality that's probably not the case in those times but I really do appreciate if the adult man could wait till she's more grown up. Assuming Hong Duk Ro did pull strings to send his sister into the palace to San at such a young age, I honestly can't see him in a good light and definitely could not relate to his grieve for the dead sister afterwards. He's the one to blame for her death when he knows how terrible a palace can be for a woman.

I wonder why the Queen didn't produce an heir for San. Is it because San doesn't want to sleep with her or she had miscarriages etc and became unwell to conceive? And is it really San loves Deok Im so much that he's rejecting his other concubines? Interesting but we'll never know the truth.

• Clapping Hands 2
3 hours ago, Mizv said:

But San has to be given some good points.  he practically has waited FOREVER for DI.  hasn’t used his position of power to force her with him.

Precisely why I have special admiration for this man. Given his position and power at that time, it's so easy for him to "have" Deok Im.

3 hours ago, Mizv said:

I think because this is  retelling of true history with input from the outside, it truly is easy to become  engrossed in the story emotionally.

Honestly, I try not to think of it as history but just keep looking at it as a work of fiction, no matter how close/true they want to stay to real history. I am already so invested in it and thinking that it actually happened to a real person way back then, made me so sad...

1 hour ago, mademoiselle said:

Seriously, this is such an awesome role/character and Lee Jun Ho played it soooo well. I'm even swooning at his sageuk style yelling. He's hot too when he's angry hahahaha.

Right?!! He grows handsomer each time and I had forgotten all other actors who ever played King. The way he restrained his emotions yet delivered his lines so full of emotions :wow: He really deserves an award for his role here.

Feel so bad for San and ache on behalf of him because of how the way both times Deok Im rejected him.

Me too!! Even when they were having the bet of stone-throwing. Indirectly Deok Im was rejecting him as well. Notice his disappointment at her determination to win... yet he put her desire above his desire by ditching the last stone like that. Where can we find a man like that? 

I didn't realise she was so young, at age 13-14! She really is just a kid and played by a kid! It is uncomfortable just imagining a king having sex with a girl so young. I am glad it was played out in the drama San didn't go to her that night.

Although it didn't surprise me, it still made me so uncomfortable too... and yes, I am glad to find out he didn't go to her too. But actually, I thought 3 years had passed since the dying of San's grandpa? Did I read the subs incorrectly? I had expected the girl to be older. 

He's the one to blame for her death when he knows how terrible a palace can be for a woman.

Yet he blamed and tortured the court ladies *rolleyes*.... urgh, I want to go into the screen and smack his head.

I already have ep.15 subbed in Chinese. But I don't have time to watch yet today... Maybe later in the day. Btw, when is ep.16 going to air? It's probably going to be a bawling session, but is it going to be on NY's eve? where we're in the middle of festivity and celebrating mood? And is it true that we'll have an ep.17 as our final episode?  

Edited by ktcjdrama
  • Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 1

MTDzeiV.gif

Watching ep.14 with subs now, and my heart aches and teared for both San and Deok Im during their conversation by the pond. The first 15 minutes was intense. The things San talked about as they were seated in front of his room, and then their talk by the pond. We can see that these stuff are getting heavier for each of them. San with his 無奈 (sorry, I can't think of the English word, "helplessness" maybe?) about Deok Im, and Deok Im insisting on her choice of "freedom" or "life of happiness". She is clearly unhappy even when rejecting him. 

It was also another intense and deep conversation for me as San was talking to CL Seo about the predicament he is in. 

Edited by ktcjdrama
  • Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

MTDzeiV.gif