The Red Sleeve Cuff 옷소매 붉은 끝동 [2021-22]

@ktcjdrama I've checked Wikipedia. San ascended the throne on 26 March 1776 and Won Bin became his concubine in June 1778 and died May 1779. She was 13 years old (+1 - nominal age) when she married San. So it was correct to use a young girl to play the part. Ugh, so technically she's only 12 years old and they were 14 years apart. Perhaps earlier in the drama they should've used an even younger actress to play her so it would be less confusing. Nonetheless, Hong Deok Ro should not have sent a 12 years old into the palace as concubine.

In episode 15 Deok Im tells Deok Ro it wasn't his fault his sister died. Tsk. I was annoyed we got a scene like this - since no matter how I see it it was Deok Ro's fault for sending her into a tiger's den at such a young age and due to his own ambition. Is it because it's normal to send a 12 years old as concubine at the time? They should have an age limit when selecting concubines.

I really like (and enjoy) Lee Jun Ho doing restrained crying. Coz it just aches my heart even more and create the feels required for the drama/character. He did so many other scenes I like. I just love the details the PD focus/zoom into as well, e.g. his fingers scratching on the table upon learning the news of Hong Deok Ro. You were right, the betting scene as well, Deok Im keeps hurting his feelings and reject his courtship. Even when they meet again after one year, she still says things that hurt him. Sigh... but I enjoyed the push/pull angst. Hahaha. The more she whips San, the more I enjoy :laugh:although I also want to see them happy and kissing. Hahahaha.

I understand where Deok Im was coming from too. It's not wrong to love herself more than anyone else, including the King. So now I wonder what changed Deok Im's mind to accept San. I hope the drama explain her reason. The yearning heart grew stronger? One year away from each other makes the hearts fonder? The jealousy? The torture from Hwabin? Or is it because so much time has passed and Deok Im now learns sometimes it's better to be with a loved ones than none, because like they both mentioned time changes a lot of things—that she should treasure the love San still has for her before it disappears? Because her face fell when Deok Ro tells her San was taking a new wife.

I'm actually shocked that it was San's mother who summoned Deok Im back and placed her with Hwabin. That was a calculative and deliberate move. Very cruel as well to be honest. Hwabin is a nightmare kind of master to serve, and a terrible concubine to have since she's spoilt and easily jealous—but perhaps much easier to manipulate since she didn't come across as smart and thus bad in politics.

The news were reported it would be Namgoong Min vs Lee Jun Ho for a Daesang. I've checked, Lee Jun Ho has never won any acting awards from MBC so it's hard to say coz usually the actor move up the ladder (Rookie → Excellence → Top Excellence → Daesang). However in this case, MBC can't give him Rookie or Excellence so it had to be Top Excellence or Daesang.

• Clapping Hands 3

Finally finished ep 15… MBC is taking 2021 out with a hard bang!  I ve already mentioned how intense it was watching without subs.  but now that I’ve caught up… oh San….

When San hugged DI on the bridge… I really wanted that to be me.  I really want to give him a big tight hug after all that emotional rollercoaster between DI and DR.

How much time was it between when DI left the palace and returned???  I was wondering how long it had been. Sometimes I got the impression it had been several years. Other times 1 year.

but it’s so sweet.  He didn’t forget her.  To actually take care of her without knowing,  just made grin so wide.

I found myself in tears  when Sans mom explained why she sent DI back to the palace..  just saying San, be happy!  It’s okay to love someone.  gosh am crying now thinking about that convo.  
Whew!  Such an emotional Christmas Day episodes.

i hope Junho wins a big award for this drama.  He has delivered such a brilliant performance. Am so moved….

also did anyone notice the salvia on his lips after kissing DI?  Hmmm. Wonder how many takes the scene  took to accomplish :lmao2:

• Haha 2
  • Heart Eyes 1

8 minutes ago, Mizv said:

also did anyone notice the salvia on his lips after kissing DI?  Hmmm. Wonder how many takes the scene  took to accomplish :lmao2:

Oh my god . I think I need to watch on a super big screen :laugh:

• Haha 3

Mon-Tues: Lovely Runner  Wed-Thurs: -  Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: The Midnight Romance in Hagwon Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - 

Just finished ep.14... San is such a good leader, that I want to read up more about this real historical figure. Can't believe he actually spared the life of Deok Ro... 

I really can't blame San for holding off to arresting Deok Ro, even though he knew the court ladies are in danger. As a leader, he needs to think and act more strategically, considering the overall impact. Although I can understand how Deok Im wanted to save her friends as quickly as possible, I have to say I'm with San on this.

Going to watch ep.15 soon. Had a change of plan for the day, so I could watch the episodes earlier after all. I read in the Chinese comments that better prepare tissues to watch this episode as the ending will leave you crying... Even in ep.14, I teared up a bit a few times. 

Edited by ktcjdrama
  • Clapping Hands 2

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

1 hour ago, ktcjdrama said:

I read in the Chinese comments that better prepare tissues to watch this episode as the ending will leave you crying... Even in ep.14, I teared up a bit a few times.

I just wipe the tears on my sleeves :laugh:

2 hours ago, Mizv said:

also did anyone notice the salvia on his lips after kissing DI?

Is this in the actual drama scene or BTS? :laugh: I'm waiting to obtain 1080p and I'll have to check it out once I get it.

1 hour ago, abs-oluteM said:

Oh my god . I think I need to watch on a super big screen 

I'll join you :lmao2:

• Haha 2
22 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

I just wipe the tears on my sleeves

LOL... you don't happen to be wearing red, thus red sleeve? :lmao2: 

Yeah, I just finished ep.15 and it's not too bad. The usual watery eyes...

2 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

So now I wonder what changed Deok Im's mind to accept San. I hope the drama explain her reason. The yearning heart grew stronger? One year away from each other makes the hearts fonder? The jealousy? The torture from Hwabin?

I think it's a combination of all those, and the trigger was probably because San expressed his heartfelt gratitude to her. 

Urgh, that HwaBin. The moment she appeared I already dislike her. The way she talks gives away that she has no good personality. Why they choose this kind of person as the concubine? Shouldn't they select properly for a potential mother-of-an-heir??

2 hours ago, Mizv said:

I found myself in tears  when Sans mom explained why she sent DI back to the palace..  just saying San, be happy!  It’s okay to love someone.  gosh am crying now thinking about that convo.  

Yes, I also teared up here. At first I was upset that she brought Deok Im under HwaBin, what torture! But it turned out that she wants to give San and Deok Im a chance to be together. And it's very true, that no one will think about San's happiness because for them, he is the King and that's it. But as a mother, she wants him to be truly happy. 

I am so happy to see San smiling in the preview for next episode. But seems like someone will die. Wonder who? His mother? Their child? 

2 hours ago, Mizv said:

How much time was it between when DI left the palace and returned???  I was wondering how long it had been. Sometimes I got the impression it had been several years. Other times 1 year.

but it’s so sweet.  He didn’t forget her.  To actually take care of her without knowing,  just made grin so wide.

There's the information that it was a year later. With 3 years of San ascending the throne, and some moments when he was still the CP, I'd say he's kept his affection for her unchanging for around 5 years long? 

2 hours ago, Mizv said:

When San hugged DI on the bridge… I really wanted that to be me.  I really want to give him a big tight hug after all that emotional rollercoaster between DI and DR.

Me too!! I want to give him hugs since episodes ago!... I was so thrilled when Deok Im pulled gently on his red sleeve! 

2 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

The news were reported it would be Namgoong Min vs Lee Jun Ho for a Daesang. I've checked, Lee Jun Ho has never won any acting awards from MBC so it's hard to say coz usually the actor move up the ladder (Rookie → Excellence → Top Excellence → Daesang). However in this case, MBC can't give him Rookie or Excellence so it had to be Top Excellence or Daesang

Love Namgoong Min, but I hope Junho gets the Daesang this year. He's truly delivered remarkable acting for his role here. It's not going to be easy for a role like this to come again for him. 

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 1

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

2 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

Urgh, that HwaBin. The moment she appeared I already dislike her. The way she talks gives away that she has no good personality. Why they choose this kind of person as the concubine? Shouldn't they select properly for a potential mother-of-an-heir??

I know right? And the drama tells us it was San who picked this concubine himself. How can he choose one who is already unlikeable the moment she opens her mouth?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
Just now, mademoiselle said:

And the drama tells us it was San who picked this concubine himself. How can he choose one who is already unlikeable the moment she opens her mouth?

It seems like he didn't get to know who the person is, since he's never seen her before. Maybe he was only choosing based on the family lineage :PikachuFacePalm: 

• Like 3

MTDzeiV.gif

32 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

It seems like he didn't get to know who the person is, since he's never seen her before. Maybe he was only choosing based on the family lineage :PikachuFacePalm: 

I thought during the concubine selection, the King can sit in during the tests? I remember they did this in TKA so he could easily observe and ask questions to see if she's the one. And yes, she was definitely picked for her background being the Soron, as opposed to the Noron faction so in politics, it can balance out the power since Queen Dowager is from the Noron faction. I wonder Queen is which faction ... she's from the Kim clan so should be also powerful.

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 1
  • Insightful 2
9 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

thought during the concubine selection, the King can sit in during the tests? I remember they did this in TKA so he could easily observe and ask questions to see if she's the one.

Apparently he didn’t during this one... Such a foul character, even though she was trembling (on pretense most probably) when he yelled at her, the moment he left, she was ready to slap Deok Im. 

• Like 3

MTDzeiV.gif

I can never understand MBC and their antics... Ep.16 is going to be aired at 9:50-11:30 pm and then followed by ep.17 at 11:30 pm to 12:50 am!! How many people will stay up to watch?? It’s a Sunday night, probably a lot of people will have to go to work on Monday morning even thought it’s the new year. What is MBC trying to prove?? I have to admit this is like one of the best dramas for them, so why aren’t they being kind to the drama? Like purposely shooting themselves in their foot? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

MTDzeiV.gif

3 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

@ktcjdrama 1st Jan is a Saturday.

Ooops!! That’s the second time I made a blunder of the dates and days this weekend. First was when some friends asked to gather on 3rd and I had said it’s not possible because it’s a Sunday 😆 Okay, so we still have hope for a higher ratings. We need a >15%!!! 

Meanwhile, let’s vote for our couple. You will need an MBC account. I need to go dig for my username and password. 

https://www.imbc.com/broad/tv/ent/template/2021mbc/drama/bestcouple/?s=09

• Haha 2

MTDzeiV.gif

2 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

Did they promise anything again for >15%?

I thought they already have to do something for their rating promise?

That rating promise was 15% right? And we haven’t reached it? Sorry I am not too updated with the news. Don’t tell me I make another blunder with the numbers 🤣 I probably need to drop everything and go catch some naps first then. 

Edited by ktcjdrama
  • Haha 2

MTDzeiV.gif

2 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

That rating promise was 15% right? And we haven’t reached it? Sorry I am not too updated with the news. Don’t tell me I make another blunder with the numbers 🤣 I probably need to dro everything and go catch some naps first then. 

Ahh I check. You're not wrong. He said he'll wear the Gonryopo and dance "My House". I think they might just go over 15%. Well, I hope so because I hope to see Jun Ho and Se Young dance to My House.

The news I read was both of them were going to appear on some radio show because of high ratings... maybe this is extra..? I forgot the details.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

BTS of the kiss. LSY so cute protesting loudly of an NG.

They will release OST#8 next week, Let Go of Your Hand, sung by Lee Sun Hee. She is Lee Seung Gi’s vocal teacher. Powerful voice. I am expecting a sorrowful song already 😓

Edited by ktcjdrama
  • Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 1

MTDzeiV.gif

@mademoiselle. @abs-oluteM :lmao2: Omg you made me pee laughing so hard at your comments. 

My screen is 4K UD.  Very visible Salvia spread on Junho upper lip.  I also watched the BTS… was so cute.  Junho is so shy.  Se Young surprised me being straight forward.   I’m pretty sure now there were more than 3 takes.  Gotta get all the camera angles perfected.  I wonder if there will be more skinship before this sad ending.  
San waited a long long time for  DI.   It would be cheesy watching them just smile at each other for the last two episodes.   Oh just remembered this isn’t a cable network so… oh well. More kissing and hugs will be fine. :love:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ktcjdrama said:

They will release OST#8 next week, Let Go of Your Hand, sung by Lee Sun Hee. She is Lee Seung Gi’s vocal teacher. Powerful voice. I am expecting a sorrowful song already

You've heard this already at the end of the episodes. I'm already looking forward to hear the full song. Her voice and the song fit the sageuk theme very well.

1 hour ago, Mizv said:

@mademoiselle. @abs-oluteM :lmao2: Omg you made me pee laughing so hard at your comments. 

Hahahahahaha it's like someone says there is tongue and you just automatically want to check it out yourself. LOLLL

• Haha 2

I'm reporting back that I didn't see saliva, @Mizv LOL! But the transitioning of a forced kiss to a mutual kiss to him stopping & pushing her away was :pandalove:. She even looked like she wanted more LOL. But imagination was running wild for me of what San was thinking when he decided to push her away.

Some of the scenarios here are so much like some romance novels I've read. The emotions. The restrained love/desire. It squeezes the hearts. The burning desire to want her was so strong but he's using all his might to stop himself consuming all of her in that scene because he doesn't want to force himself on her. In order to stop it (and he's mad) so he decided to kick her out of the palace. But regretted it straight away the next day and went to find her... and once again hurt to find that she left without begging when he desperately wanted her to. Aarghh.

@Chocolate you are seriously missing out. This is the kind you'll definitely wanna check it out and will like. The push & pull here are (note: plural) so enjoyable. The lines/dialogues are so well written and delivered. The Feels are no joke. :wow:

I am re-watching some scenes and re-feeling the emotions of the characters again. :heart: So good.

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Clapping Hands 1

Hi all, it's been quite long I dont post anything here. I watched ep 14-15 last night.

I was upset with the ending that traitor head court lady got. That suicide was really easy for her. I mean it was ended just like that. Then the rest conflicts were quite flat just like that. The way HDR got punished by being axiled also disappointing. I mean how could all these people forgiven that mercily. 

Then out of the blue we suddenly got the evil concubine bullied DI. Oh god.... thankfully it wasnt long because of the episode durations. If it gets any longer I think I will stop watching. The story felt jam-packed and rushed a lot here. What's going on with this drama?

I love the acting all the cast performed here. Even their lines are pretty hard to understand for me. I dont really get it why they all doing those.  Just 1 more episode then I can see the end of this. Dont tell me it will be sad ending, the preview of ep 16 like hinting something bad will happened. Anyone can spoiled me how was the novel ended? Happy?? Hopefully yes. Cuz I hate sad ending. 

1 hour ago, mademoiselle said:

The push & pull here are (note: plural) so enjoyable. The lines/dialogues are so well written and delivered. The Feels are no joke.

Surprisingly, I do like these part too. And their chemistry and acting are superb. I didnt use ffd button even I was quite unamused by some other parts I mentioned above.

Just for fun, I wonder everyone growing beards after some year but our handsome king stays clean and young as ever, hahaha. I love clean man who regularly shaves his beard. 

• Haha 2
10 minutes ago, Alice Wonderland said:

Just for fun, I wonder everyone growing beards after some year but our handsome king stays clean and young as ever, hahaha. I love clean man who regularly shaves his beard.

Because uri King hasn't courted the one woman he's dying to have, so must stay looking clean and handsome at all times :lmao2::lmao2::lmao2:

The story is based on real history so in reality... spoiler:

Spoiler

Their happiness is short-lived. Deok Im will give birth to a son (crown prince) but he will die 4 years later. Every two years Deok Im gets pregnant but the second daughter died at birth. Then the last one dies with Deok Im in the womb as Deok Im has liver cancer.

San then lived the rest of the half of his life without Deok Im. And because he needs to have a successor so he took another wife a year after Deok Im's death.

Deok Im was buried together with her son but not with San. San was buried with his Queen.

As for the drama version... I don't know where it will stop at but I suppose it might end in the most beautiful way, even though it may be sad.

Just now, Alice Wonderland said:

Oh... that bts was so fun! I laughed a lot even I dont understand what they said. But the force kissed made LSY busrted i  laughter. That is so funny. She told them that the king oppa did something hahahaa. Is there eng sub for the video??

The forced kiss NG because Jun Ho was withholding himself from laughing. Se Young was sort of tattletale to everyone it was Jun Ho that NG, not her.

@ktcjdrama E16 air time changed to 9:30 pm

• Haha 2