Under The Queen's Umbrella 슈룹 [2022]

wink_

Hahahahahahahaha I died laughing 🤣🤣🤣🤣

We really had the Darth Vader "I'm your father" moment @Chocolate

Poor Uiseong. Being used by Queen Dowager to kill his own father.

My biggest concern now is Chung Ha. She really is pregnant but Queen Dowager tricked them into thinking she isn't and seems to be feeding her medicine that will be bad for her. I hope they notice this and just pretending to drink it!

• Haha 4
2 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

My biggest concern now is Chung Ha. She really is pregnant but Queen Dowager tricked them into thinking she isn't and seems to be feeding her medicine that will be bad for her. I hope they notice this and just pretending to drink it!

Me too. But at least we know those sex-ed classes did not go to waste. :GrowDerp:

Eps 15 was pretty intense & eventful. I have a question. If SN brings his nephew back, who is the rightful Crown Prince ? Him or the nephew? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

1 hour ago, abs-oluteM said:

Eps 15 was pretty intense & eventful. I have a question. If SN brings his nephew back, who is the rightful Crown Prince ? Him or the nephew? 

Technically, the court and King agreed to hold the Taekyeon to select a new CP instead of passing on to the grandson. So Seongnam is the legitimate CP now.

However, I think Seongnam has no real aspirations to be King. He will do it if he has to but he has no craving for that power or status. If he passes it on to the nephew, he will not be forced to have a child.

Wow the Empress Dowager is one of a kind. To make the son kill the father… it really takes a certain level of evilness. But, there is also a certain pleasure in seeing Uiseung realise what he did, that he just cut away his real claim to the throne. Wonder if he is grieving that or his father. What do you think will happen to mother and son? And the Empress Dowager?

3 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

Hahahahahahahaha I died laughing 🤣🤣🤣🤣

We really had the Darth Vader "I'm your father" moment @Chocolate

Haha you were spot on!

I felt a tinge of pity for Consort Hwang. To be just a bird to lay an egg in another’s nest 😲 Kwon also never gave her a thought. He wanted to reclaim the “house” for his mother and son 🙁

• Like 3
  • Insightful 2

tumblr-183e9d3ca3901b4484a79a5dc2d7b27e-

take on real-time strategy enabling protection | “Under The Queen's Umbrella” has only an episode left, it would be interesting to see, teaser trailer.

source

Spoiler

Edited by twink_twink_
  • Like 7

CurrentlyLiesGrden•CYouIn19thLif•Battle4HappinssWaitingRvenant•Heartb•NumbersFinishedBingeWatchingRace•B.Knight•GloryIIDaily•2D1NS4•RunMan

Wow... ep.15 is just so awesome and powerful! Yes @abs-oluteM intense and eventful is the way to describe it. I’ve never seen and appreciated a palace politics written this well before. The events unfolded very quickly but you don’t feel that it’s being rushed. Everything flow quite naturally. That’s really great writing and directing. 

Just unbelievable how evil the QD is... I won’t be surprised if she ends up killing her own son if needed to. She has no love for anyone except herself. Really hate seeing how the physicians are under her instructions. You really need your own physician when you’re in the royal family. Someone who is only loyal to you and won’t be able to be manipulated by others. 

I think what that minister (who earlier pretended to be blind) was right in that the evidence should be destroyed. The King did not ascend the throne properly, but that’s in the past and he realized that and trying his best to rule the country properly. Queen HR should just leave it at that. But yes, I guess she needs to bring back the Crown Princess and her son to the palace. So again, the King was right that Kwon should be tried and just stop at revealing him as the one who poisoned CP. But if so, the true evil mastermind will still be around... sigh.... politics so difficult... what should be the next chess step? 

Edited by ktcjdrama
  • Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 3

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

the-queens-umbrella-1-2311221-gif.gif

a round of serious peace negotiations  'Under The Queen's Umbrella' - teaser trailer video footage  - clip

source:

Edited by twink_twink_
  • Like 9

CurrentlyLiesGrden•CYouIn19thLif•Battle4HappinssWaitingRvenant•Heartb•NumbersFinishedBingeWatchingRace•B.Knight•GloryIIDaily•2D1NS4•RunMan

@abs-oluteM I think @Chocolate is quite right about Seong Nam. He has no desire to be King. He's doing this out of duty and love for his family. Seong Nam is the rightful heir now since he was officially and fairly selected as the one. Although if the nephew is just as good when he grew up, I see no reason why Seong Nam wouldn't abdicate the throne to him. I much prefer seeing him walk on a beach with Chung Ha as his only wife at the island (her wish in her diary) with their children.

@Chocolate Yeah agree, Consort Hwang is pitiful since she's just a part of Ik Hyun's revenge plan. She's so ruthless and evil towards the others and attempted murder on other princes, I can't bring myself to feel sorry for her. If she had known Uiseong was Lee Ik Hyun's heir to the throne and hence she fights to get him the throne then ok, it would have been a lot more acceptable. But she never knew, and worse, she craves for power that she never rightfully deserve to have. What was her justification and why was she feeling so entitled is what I don't understand. I wonder what would become of her. I know Hwa Ryung may conceal the secret and protect them but Queen Dowager wouldn't.

That confrontation between Hwa Ryung and Lee Ik Hyun was really good. Both have their reasons. Queen Hwa Ryung played her chess move incorrectly this time. She wanted to use Queen Dowager to catch Lee Ik Hyun but she didn't know about Prince Uiseong. I honestly expected a coup d'etat but this never happened, and looks like the final showdown is Protagonists have to fight against is still Queen Dowager. Curious how it will end and very likely it would have to be her death or a King's order due to such and such crime she committed.

I'm definitely going to lose sleep over this finale tonight.

• Clapping Hands 5

I started watching on Monday and am all caught up right in time for the finale. This show’s pacing and story development is quite quite good! 

The dowager is downright evil. Right to say she might just as well sacrifice her own son if it means she retains power. While King might have had the ambition to be king, I don’t think he would have wanted blood on his hand. He probably chanced upon seeing his mother being present when the previous CP was murdered and in his youth was probably too shocked to know how to respond. I’d like to believe he was still truly the best there was to be selected. 

In many ways, it did not surprise me that Il Hyeon was deliberate in his plans to seduce and impregnate Concubine Hwang. It seemed a brilliant plot twist that the one who desired to be CP really had a very legitimate claim to it. But how twisted it was that he would also be descended from the one who took away that legitimate claim to the throne by having committed treason against the previous dynasty. Was Ik Hyeon really thinking of Concubine Hwang and Ui Seong when he said he wanted to live with his mother, wife and son? Prolly. But with true fondness? I don’t know. Did he have any affection for Concubine Hwang at all? I didn’t detect it at the point of his death when he revealed who he was to her. 

I am too wondering what will happen to the Cprincess now. I hope they discover that Dowager was trying to pull a fast one on them. And how to bring the Grand Heir back to the palace? Or does royal protocol no longer allow it? I’m just waiting to see how things will end of the dowager. If she remains, the terror will never end. But the King cannot be unfilial towards his own mother unless she too is charged for treason. I feel she needs to die by her own hands for this to all settle. 

• Clapping Hands 5
2 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

That confrontation between Hwa Ryung and Lee Ik Hyun was really good. Both have their reasons.

Yes, I really like that first part with the two of them. Performed really well by both the actress and actor too. I thought that would be the highlight of ep.15 but later on just got better and better. 

5 minutes ago, gilaswan said:

Was Ik Hyeon really thinking of Concubine Hwang and Ui Seong when he said he wanted to live with his mother, wife and son?

If I remember correctly, he only mentioned a mother and a son as his family. So I think he never intended to include Hwang in his plan. 

6 minutes ago, gilaswan said:

But the King cannot be unfilial towards his own mother unless she too is charged for treason. I feel she needs to die by her own hands for this to all settle. 

Yes, I wonder what will be the end of it. I doubt she will allow herself to die though. 

• Like 5

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

Some spoilers

Spoiler

Deposed Queen Yoon uses Queen's promise. Tell her to spare Prince Uiseong. QD defeated. QD dies, i think from poison granted by the king. Physician leave out 2 of the ingredients that's harmful and it's revealed to the king. King seems to reveal what happened 20 years ago. Muan live outside the palace with Chowol and Ara but still visit the palace often for advice from the other consorts on childrearing. Ofcourse he says Ara is a genius . Some happy scenes with CP and Chungha there is also a kiss. They don't timeskip to her birth and leave it open for the gender. Ends with another prince giving Queen stress

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Love the finale! Love how things are wrapped up, and we even have some cooling down time to account for every member of the royal family (*) This is one of the best sagueks I've ever watched. It is not the conventional one, but I won't say it's fusion saguek too... It is surely a memorable drama worth every minute of it. I was mostly in tears later half of the finale.

- Was tearing up so much when the four brothers were in a group hug, but laughed when Mu-an, the ever full of feelings prince, replied  to Seong Nam's (the cold prince) comment of "it's hot" with his "but it's warm".

- Definitely love the umbrella reference. Title is so apt, even though the umbrella appeared only twice actually, but both were so impactful.  

(*) wishing many more writers can learn to write a wholesome ending like this. Not leaving things hanging.

eta: So I checked out the writer. She has no other work except for this one drama. New writer? Wow...

Edited by ktcjdrama
  • Like 4
  • Heart Eyes 1

MTDzeiV.gif

I loved the ending bits for all the Grand Princes & am happy that there's bun in the oven for our Kang & Chung Ah. And it does seem like Kang has in his mind to make his brother's son the future King and is temporarily protecting the kingdom for him.

I shed plenty of tears in the second half too @ktcjdrama . Two scenes in particular - when they brought back the previous Crown Princess & the two kids , and the Queen saying that it was finally time to let her first born go. Wahhh that hit hard for me. And then the scene with Gyeseong wanting to leave the palace. I have always love the special relationship between her and this son. Not every child fits the usual mold , and the queen was very progressive in how she protected him & accepted him for who he is. 

My small gripe is with the political bit - a tad anti-climax in how things were resolved so easily when the King revealed what happened to the previous CP. Given any other period show, such a revelation may have triggered a revolution of sorts. The QD of course was responsible for it all ( ending her life was exactly how I expected her to do so) but the King in some way hid the truth and he got off lightly. Or perhaps, the king had already paid the ultimate price when the 1st CP died.

Overall, I am really glad I picked up this show. I started watching this quite late , past the 2nd half . The cast is fantastic. The two queens & the King were amazing with their delivery. And we also got to discover the breakout star Moon Sang Min who really hit jackpot with his role here as Kang. 

• Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 3

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

On the overall, this was a very good drama which I will miss on the weekends. It was all tied up at the end with a big ribbon, and many many scenes literally with the Queen and an umbrella 😂

Loved the plot and pacing, actors and acting. It was so well done that I was somewhat disappointed by the last 2 episodes.

- The downfall of the empress dowager was an anti-climax. For all the “power” she had for 15 episodes, at the end, she really didn’t have any. How quickly she fell.

- I wish the writers had given the Queen another kind of fight for the end. Though I understand that the drama centers around the Queen shielding her sons, and getting justice for her son’s death means the story comes full circle, it is too idealistic. In reality, I do not think any King would ever reveal his own mother’s actions to steal the throne and expect to still be able to stay on the throne. After the brilliance of the Queen for so long, I simply cannot understand her doggedness to pursue the matter. They could have found another way to reinstate the Crown Princess and grandchildren. This was a weak plot line to me.

- Especially as the original line has a descendant. Treason cannot be a reason to make Uiseong ineligible because the crown was stolen in the first place. And are we supposed to believe that he is so traumatised from killing his own father that he will be content to live out his life in the hut with his mother who has gone mad? And what’s the point of reinstating Queen Yoon and putting her back in the palace all alone? She is better off continuing to live in the hut with her grandson.

• Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 3
7 hours ago, Chocolate said:

Loved the plot and pacing, actors and acting. It was so well done that I was somewhat disappointed by the last 2 episodes.

I quiet enjpyed the ending to this drama because this drama was really about the All mother shielding their children really. Althoug they chose to name it   UNDER THE QUEEN"S UMBRELLA but it was about the battle between the woman in the Palace in fulfilling their ambitions.

Queen Dowager - - > was greedy for power but also keeping her son in POWER

Deposed Queen - -> Avenging the death of all her children, she was able to keep her grandson alive but not having the knowledge of everything her son did. 

Consort Hwang - - >  She was just greedy to be QUEEN due to her father's greed and a form of brainwashing. Making her believe being QUEEN was her's. 

Queen Hwa Ryeong- - >  All she wanted was to protect her husband, guide him to becoming a GREAT KING ( he is weak but with her she gave him confidence ) since she doesn't hate him for what he did in the past.  She also wanted to protect all her husband's children to live carefree happy life under the safety that she can provide. 

Prince Seongnam -  He isn't greedy or have any desire to be King but I don't think he will ever give up the seat unless his nephew proves that he can be a good king.  He is the best king because he isn't easily corrupted, he knows what the people needs and he will do what must be done to protect his brothers.  He also has united all the Royal ministers with his ideas or plan he wants to make happen. 

Prince Gyeongsong - - > left the place and will never return. He wants to be free and be himself. He knows staying in the Palace will only hurt his brothers and his mother

Prince llyoung - -> He is the adventerous son who loves inventing things. 

Prince Muan - - > Finally  becomes a responsible adult. Having a child finally made him grow up. He was willing to leave the palace for his family. 

Prince Uiseong - ->  Finally grew up and realized that his greed and ambitions for the CRown has got him to kill his own father.  

Yi Ik -Hyeon allowed his son to kill him because he wanted his son to continue with his plan for revebge but than when will this revenge end. 

• Like 4
  • Clapping Hands 1

Favorite Favorite Artist  Bae Doona, Moon Chae Won, Gong Hyo Jin, Cho Seung Woo, Jang Hyuk,, Jo In Sung,  Gong Yoo

Drama watching now: Plot Love,  Chimera ,The Psychologist, Always have,Always will , Show Windows: Queens House

1667190728-1280.jpg

tvN annouces the latest original content > the mixed reaction, deemed “suspicious” as crucial confrontations reveal more specific details, the sudden unexpected death 'Under The Queen's Umbrella' and succeeded in revealing the truth ~ scene moment ~ video clip

source:

• Like 9

@abs-oluteM I love their relationship too! I love the drawing he sent her of him living the life he wants at the end of the drama. :heart:

QU-25-SLOW-T.gif

As everyone has said already, I really enjoyed this drama. I loved how progressive the queen was for a time period where it was unheard of to be accepting of others' flaws. I am appreciative of those of you who encouraged me to continue watching. If it wasn't for that, I would have missed out on this beautiful drama. :taebtsthanks:

We were really lucky to get two Kim Hye Soo dramas in one year, this queen. :LarvitarSDab1:

QU-20.gif

• Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 3

The ending clearly showed Crown Prince Seongnam taking on the role of protector. She was walking in the Palace alone , it started to rain and he had an umbrella ready to shield her from the rain. That scene meant a lot to me because Seongnam has taken on the role  PROTECTOR not only for his family but the Kingdom. Seongnam believes in doing the right thing . 

A kingdom can only prosper only if you have a good king. A corrupt King will ruin a kingdom and Seongnam takes that role very seriously. 

• Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 2

Favorite Favorite Artist  Bae Doona, Moon Chae Won, Gong Hyo Jin, Cho Seung Woo, Jang Hyuk,, Jo In Sung,  Gong Yoo

Drama watching now: Plot Love,  Chimera ,The Psychologist, Always have,Always will , Show Windows: Queens House

21 hours ago, Chocolate said:

- The downfall of the empress dowager was an anti-climax. For all the “power” she had for 15 episodes, at the end, she really didn’t have any. How quickly she fell.

I actually thought her death was quite aptly portrayed. I had mentioned a few posts back that being who she was in the hierarchy, the only way this could truly end was to have her die by her own hands. I did wonder how it could happen though cos if this were a show that held true to the times they were in, it would indeed be true that the king would never have been able to bring his own mother down without inciting or legitimating the rebellion, especially with new knowledge that Ui Seong held actual lineage rights to the throne of the previous dynasty. 

I felt it wasn’t so much that the dowager had fallen so quickly, but she had actually hedged her bets on the wrong people. Sequentially, I think things went wrong when she thought she could control her son 100%. She underestimated the influence the Queen would have on her son and the other concubines. Once she lost that influence over the King, she lost control of the situation. I reckon she wasn’t counting on the State Councillor getting murdered by Kwon. Without him, she would lose control of the court. Then she lost control over the call to execute Hwang and Ui Seong. Had she been successful there, the rest of the court would believe she had control over the king and would still fear her.

If King had kept her in her place, she would still be able to meddle in court affairs, and would soon again amass new power and influence. But she didn’t count on her son essentially placing her in confinement. It was the humiliation she could not accept. She who was queen only for a day, had to crown herself queen in her death because she could not love being a powerless dowager in name against her daughter-in-law, queen in every way, poise and dignity. 

So I don’t reckon it was an anti-climatic end for the Dowager. It was very well thought through. And very poetic. 

Edited by gilaswan
  • Like 3

I think what made this an interesting show was that it reimagined historical conditions with current thinking and attitudes, with a good degree of realism. The imagined wasn’t taken to levels of extreme possibilities where it would become unbelievable. It was progressiveness within fair reason, that if a queen of that time could do what Queen HR did, and could have the influence she had however limited it might have been, and if that influence did not come from the manipulative controls of people in the court, but from sincere and honest beliefs in the good of humanity, could Joseon have moved differently in a monarchy? I think that imagination was what made this show both intriguing and enjoyable. 

Yes, in reality, in those times, the King could not have done what he did in the end and got away with it. But it was the moral courage that kept him in his seat. He will be remembered as the “Sage King”. I did wonder if he would have self-abdicated in favour of Kang, but then they did show Kang as preferring to keep the seat warm for his nephew instead, which was also a fair direction to take. 

In those times, the Queen would not have been able to move around outside the palace as freely as she did, let alone set up a halfway house for abandoned women. In those times, cross dressing as a royal even as adulthood was attained would have been impossible, but her son managed to even send paintings back of himself living another life (which I highly doubt was possible to live in confucian Joseon). In those times, allowing a grand prince to break with tradition to marry a commoner?! Never! But all these imagined possibilities were heartwarming to watch. I do think that the central theme was probably “respect”. That was the difference in how Queen HR treated all her relationships, vs the dowager. If we all lived respectfully of others, the generations would have developed differently. Respect isn’t a new concept. It’s just one that’s not well practiced, even today. 

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 1