Book Lounge

23 minutes ago, SilverMoonTea said:

Btw nowadays I read all my books online borrowing from library and downloaded into Libby apps. I miss flicking an actual books, but this apps had helped me during commuting as carrying heavy book is not my favourite thing to do. Do you guys read in handphone or carry physical books with you ?

I started reading from the Kindle in 2011 and never went back to physical books. Like you say, it is so convenient because you have all the books any time and it's just one thin gadget versus a thick book. And if you like to read while eating/drinking, just a tap and you can flip the page vs holding a book open with one hand and trying not to spoil the spine lol.

But convenience is also a bad thing. It used to be that I bought books at the airport before a holiday. But with Kindle, I could buy books online at anytime! I remember buying 50 books at a go in London, because there was no access in Singapore so I was stocking up. Then I kept reading and work suffered. Really needs a lot of discipline.

Same as you, now I try to borrow the books from the online library if they are available. Except you may have to wait for the popular ones - I'm waiting for "Atomic Habits" and am 4000+ in the queue hahaha. Saves so much $$$. The Libby app is great to use, except do you know if there is a desktop version?

I've donated hundreds of books and kept only about 20 of the ones I really like. Saves a lot of space too.

Don't think I will ever go back to physical books.

Edited by Chocolate
  • Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 1

I did not know where the desktop version @Chocolate. Oh so Kindle also able to download free library books? As I thought in Lazada most reviewer said it can't be done in Kindle. I tempted to buy Kindle, but I think for now handphone is suffice for me and quite convenient. 

I read Atomic Habit physical book, but I felt the book had not been a big grand revelation? Just kind of need to make a good habit by creating tiny but achievable goals. I might need to re-read it, I'm not a good student maybe I sleep on the whole book and get so little take home points 🤣

• Haha 3

ezgif-com-gif-maker-47.gif

24 minutes ago, SilverMoonTea said:

And my current reading is murder in dorm college. The rich It Girl is the victim, and the suspect died in prison. But perhaps it was a wrong accusation by one of her friend that mistakenly hide the true murderer ? I had not finished this. I hope the ending is satisfying. I think this novel quite famous, had seen it circulating among bookstagram lover.

download-4.jpg

I like mysteries too but has to be really good. Hard to find.

Is the writing for The It Girl good so far? David Baldacci says the author is “The Agatha Christie of our generation”. That's high praise. I will try one day.

1 minute ago, SilverMoonTea said:

I did not know where the desktop version @Chocolate. Oh so Kindle also able to download free library books? As I thought in Lazada most reviewer said it can't be done in Kindle. I tempted to buy Kindle, but I think for now handphone is suffice for me and quite convenient. 

I read Atomic Habit physical book, but I felt the book had not been a big grand revelation? Just kind of need to make a good habit by creating tiny but achievable goals. I might need to re-read it, I'm not a good student maybe I sleep on the whole book and get so little take home points 🤣

Haha, that's why I didn't buy the book and still waiting for the library version. Maybe should check out the book summary instead, cause the book is quite thick.

Oh, Kindle cannot read library books. Must buy from Kindle store or if you have a epub or pdf book. I used it before I discovered the online library.

Yes, handphone is sufficient if you are comfortable with the small screen. I seldom use the Kindle now too because there is a Kindle app for the phone, so no point carrying an extra gadget out. The only bad thing is if you are by the beach or pool, the reflection from the sun is really bad for the phone - the Kindle with the e-ink screen is much better then.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1
4 minutes ago, Chocolate said:

Is the writing for The It Girl good so far? David Baldacci says the author is “The Agatha Christie of our generation”. That's high praise. I will try one day.

The writing so far quite enjoyable. It got breakdown into before and after parts which is like past story and current time. 

I had not finished it, I will let you know if it's worth your time without any spoiler once I'm done. 

Yes so far it's hard to get mistery book with major ground breaking ending. Most of it will end in lukewarm note. I think The Chestnut Man which adopted into Netflix series is the only one quite impressive and memorable lately, and some Japanese novel that I owned, I need to dig my books collection to get the title for you (I forgot 😅🤣). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

20 hours ago, SilverMoonTea said:

books online borrowing from library and downloaded into Libby apps. I miss flicking an actual books, but this apps had helped me during commuting as carrying heavy book is not my favourite thing to do

I miss reading actual books too, but they have gotten so expensive. I used to buy at least 20 to 30 books a year but now I wait for them to go on sale and finally found a library on line to read books. I will add these books to my reading list.  Thanks for the recommendation @SilverMoonTea

• Clapping Hands 3

Favorite Favorite Artist  Bae Doona, Moon Chae Won, Gong Hyo Jin, Cho Seung Woo, Jang Hyuk,, Jo In Sung,  Gong Yoo

Drama watching now: Plot Love,  Chimera ,The Psychologist, Always have,Always will , Show Windows: Queens House

2 hours ago, Chocolate said:

Aren’t most books in black and white? Why do you need colour?

Hahaha! I want to see the bookcover in color. I think seeing the bookcover in color is similar to having the physical book (which I still prefer over e-books). 

The book I plan to read soon is Crying in H-Mart. Has anyone read this one? 

• Haha 3
1 minute ago, Tofu said:

Hahaha! I want to see the bookcover in color. I think seeing the bookcover in color is similar to having the physical book (which I still prefer over e-books). 

What attracts me to book is the book cover  , then the synopsis . So seeing the bookcover in color is a must and i agree with you @Tofu lol 

• Haha 3

Favorite Favorite Artist  Bae Doona, Moon Chae Won, Gong Hyo Jin, Cho Seung Woo, Jang Hyuk,, Jo In Sung,  Gong Yoo

Drama watching now: Plot Love,  Chimera ,The Psychologist, Always have,Always will , Show Windows: Queens House

7 hours ago, Tofu said:

I knew this title , but haven't read it. Forgot whats its all about too. 

Btw I have my hand on romance novel called The Little Flower Shop by Lori Foster. The lead is a 41 y.o lady who owned a flower shop, she back to her house alone to her comfortable bed and her perfect coffee maker. Her life sounds perfect, so I wonder if a hunky bloke with green eyes would enhancing her life further or not 😅🤣

I just read few pages and felt she's better off alone. Let me try to read more 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

71r0h-QEo-WIL-AC-UF894-1000-QL80-FMwebp.

I thought this is a self help book, but end up it's more like a therapist memoir, and she is very witty at that. She answered what's most of us probably dying to know, like does therapist also go to other therapist for her own life problem? Which is she did, and it's quite hillarious, as one of her patient wife go to the same therapist as her 😅

She was very brave too for having kid without a father and choose an artificial insemination. But she was left devastated when her new boyfriend dumped her for a reason not wanting a kid for himself. 

I can see why this book so popular, I remember seeing it on a Kinokuniya's shelf many years ago. I kind of like hearing story about other people's problem, as it kind of taking off steam from my own daily life 😂

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Has anyone read this? It was the book that Tang Ying (Fake it till you make it) was "pretending" to read on the plane to look cool. See, I like the drama so much I'm even reading the books the character reads! 😂 Obviously it must be an IT book and adapted into a drama, but I'm not getting it at all.

The captions on the cover says funny. I'm 50+ pages in and it's not really funny. In fact, the characters' lives seem sad.

Plus the title is conversations with friends. Let me tell you:

1. There are no "...." here. It's narration the whole way with conversations written as X says, blah blah blah.

2. These people are not friends! One (who is lesbian) is trying to steal the wife, and the other is interested in the husband 😂

71c73pbyF8L._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Edited by Chocolate
  • Insightful 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 7/26/2023 at 12:09 AM, Chocolate said:

I started to believe Ruth Ware is somewhere quite close for being Agatha Christie, just with shorter list of books. I have read like 3 and all have different themes and with different murder scenarios. I think she's very creative and I'm quite impressed, the story also moving very well, something I had not seen with many writers in these days. I have read : The It Girl, The Turn of The Key, and ongoing is The Woman in Cabin no 10.

• Awesome 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@SilverMoonTea I have a couple of books sitting on my nightstand that I have yet to read. I have not even read the book I bought in Singapore. LOL! I guess my 2024 goal is to read more books or at least finish the ones I have on my nightstand. I created a Goodreads account so maybe that will hold be accountable....maybe. :laugh:

• Haha 2
4 hours ago, Tofu said:

@SilverMoonTea I have a couple of books sitting on my nightstand that I have yet to read. I have not even read the book I bought in Singapore. LOL! I guess my 2024 goal is to read more books or at least finish the ones I have on my nightstand. I created a Goodreads account so maybe that will hold be accountable....maybe. :laugh:

I just reactivate my goodreads membership lols. Yeah this is a good idea haha...

• Haha 1