Book Lounge

34 minutes ago, SilverMoonTea said:

Is this the list you were trying to complete @JenL?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/arts/bigread/top100.shtml

Wow! 

There seems to be so many and I've definitely seen this one before. The one I'm doing (and have been doing for like 6 years now :laugh:) is actually one that use to be in chain letter emails and Facebook challenges. Apparently the BBC did some research and most people had only read 6 books on that list...and I was ashamed to admit that was me as well! :lettalKWA: I think I had only read (and remembered) like 6-8 books on the list.

So I decided I would make it one of my life's goals to finish that list!!! :niu:

I just checked my own tracker and I've read exactly 60 of these books now...so at least when people ask me next time, I can be like...I have read way more than 6!!! :heiboi:

I found a ticklist version of the one I'm doing if anyone else wants to do it...or if they want to check if they've read more than 6 of these books in their lifetime:laugh:https://www.listchallenges.com/bbcs-top-100-books-you-need-to-read-before-you-die

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

Currently watching: Doctor Slump // Queen of Tears // The Impossible Heir

Current Obsessions: ❤ Lee Jae wook // Park Hyung Sik // Yoon Park

Podcast: These Dramatic Days

9781509878345.jpg

I read 10 of the BBC list :)

@SilverMoonTea I recommend Agatha Christie's Murder at the Vicarage (Miss Marple's first novel). It is my first one in English. I read translations at first but started in English later on. 

There are other suggestions

Poirot's

Evil under the sun

Mrs Mcginty is dead

Murder at the links

Dumb witness

Third Girl

Edited by Nohamahmoud2002
  • Thanks 2
5 hours ago, Nohamahmoud2002 said:

I read 10 of the BBC list :)

Good job! This is way more than me before I actively started to read those books  :1000:

5 hours ago, Nohamahmoud2002 said:

@SilverMoonTea I recommend Agatha Christie's Murder at the Vicarage (Miss Marple's first novel). It is my first one in English. I read translations at first but started in English later on. 

I've never actually read an Agatha Christie book. Maybe I should give it a go! :thinking:

• Clapping Hands 1
  • Party! 1

Currently watching: Doctor Slump // Queen of Tears // The Impossible Heir

Current Obsessions: ❤ Lee Jae wook // Park Hyung Sik // Yoon Park

Podcast: These Dramatic Days

@Nohamahmoud2002Thanks for the suggestion, I have too many books to finish up now haha... Maybe when have time will check that titles from local library. My favourite of AC is "And Then There Were None". Still the best from all AC that I ever read. 

@JenL Uh yes, research so accurate, indeed 6 pieces. I don't think will increase, I have no interest with other title in that lists 😂 :

Harry Potter

Kite Runner 

Holy Bible

The Da Vinci Code 

Memoirs of Geisha

The Curious Incident of Dogs (forced to read, school's task 😅)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

ezgif-com-gif-maker-47.gif

A superb article on why one need to read a book, either fiction or non fiction. 

Full Article :

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2013/oct/15/neil-gaiman-future-libraries-reading-daydreaming

Interesting Point quoted from that article :

Fiction can show you a different world. It can take you somewhere you’ve never been. Once you’ve visited other worlds, like those who ate fairy fruit, you can never be entirely content with the world that you grew up in. Discontent is a good thing: discontented people can modify and improve their worlds, leave them better, leave them different.

And while we’re on the subject, I’d like to say a few words about escapism. I hear the term bandied about as if it’s a bad thing. As if “escapist” fiction is a cheap opiate used by the muddled and the foolish and the deluded, and the only fiction that is worthy, for adults or for children, is mimetic fiction, mirroring the worst of the world the reader finds herself in.

If you were trapped in an impossible situation, in an unpleasant place, with people who meant you ill, and someone offered you a temporary escape, why wouldn’t you take it? And escapist fiction is just that: fiction that opens a door, shows the sunlight outside, gives you a place to go where you are in control, are with people you want to be with(and books are real places, make no mistake about that); and more importantly, during your escape, books can also give you knowledge about the world and your predicament, give you weapons, give you armour: real things you can take back into your prison. Skills and knowledge and tools you can use to escape for real.

As JRR Tolkien reminded us, the only people who inveigh against escape are jailers.

Note I guess I also have to thanks my parents, as they never really limit 

what I read. I do enjoyed RL Stine, Enid Blyton, and do understand if parents might have concern about the contents. 

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Kim Tae Ri and a book in SKY Castle

One of the books in audio clip series Kim Tae Ri’s Recovery Book is Thus Spoke Zarathustra. This book is featured in drama SKY Castle.

b037c95642b9505cd808613885ab876906de2764

Kim Tae Ri has not finished reading it yet

“I haven’t read this book completely, I can’t finish it because it will take forever. I don’t think I will be able to finish it in near time…”

EzbKJxcUcAMxrjF?format=jpg&name=medium

Cr taeri_yeosin (Twitter)

In SKY Castle, this book is one of the books for Omphalos Book Club. Lim Soo Im (Lee Tae Ran) thought this book is a heavy reading, too heavy for children. Kang Ye Seo (Kim Hye Yoon) not only read it but also read two additional books related to Thus Spoke Zarathustra 😱😅🥴

a9827db0ed7cbc826906b9ab08288734b4dbaa4a

6d0c3b92990ca31cbf55054c9debad2b7dde16a1

I dare not read this book 😂🥴

• Haha 2
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

@JenLI think you're the one mentioned about reading Anne Frank's diary right? This book make me sad, but in view of people trapped in the war and us with pandemic, we're really need to be thankful, as we're not even inch closer with their situation. 

Anne just so happy to receive poem from his father, Greek mythology book, and some sweets from everyone stash for her birthday. And they have a dream, life will be better once war ended. My heart sink as knowing how she will end up in concentration camp instead (I read Wikipedia ahead of finishing the book, I'm still at 1943 date). 

Thanks for recommending, I had it for sometimes but unopened. You gave me motivation to read it. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, ssteph said:

@SilverMoonTea you and your post remind me that I have this book but haven't read it yet 👀

The book make me sad, yet it's also hopeful. I think everyone from any walk of life can emphatize with her.

It was so sad that she's very close to freedom, but can't make it alive out from Bergen-Belsen camp. She passed away barely few months from the liberation day. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

On 11/11/2021 at 11:30 PM, Tofu said:

@SilverMoonTea When I was in grade school, Anne Frank's diary was a required reading for us. It was a good idea because it allowd someone to learn compassion for others and empathy. 

That's so nice. My school asked me to read some local fiction instead 😅 it's about forced marriage in colonial era. The story a bit like Romeo & Juliet 🤣

Anne diary started with her often complaint about people around her. But seems towards the end she also matured a lot. I read some eye witness mentioned in camp she become source of strength for her mother & sister. 

The kindness of people who helped Anne's family is also quite amazing. They were also under threat for German's punishment themself. 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, SilverMoonTea said:

The kindness of people who helped Anne's family is also quite amazing. They were also under threat for German's punishment themself. 

Agreed. There were some really generous people and then there were really evil people too. Can you imagine living in a small room for years?! You couldn't make noise and were in there with other people too. Right now, people can barely follow COVID restrictions to stay home. 

I plan on going to Holocaust Museum in Washington DC when I go back to visit my friend. I couldn't last time because the tickets were sold out. 😭

To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee was another required reading for us in middle school. I can't remember the ones for high school. Haha!

• Clapping Hands 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

@Chocolate Check this out. Have you read Hidden Legacy Series 

There is a very short Novel on Nevada and Connor.  “The Cool Aunt”

UE5KcWdsz6kDDuJKPVmslxj33jeoeuvcrB84Ebm1

Check it out 

https://ilona-andrews.com/the-cool-aunt/

I will be reading it later 

• Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

Favorite Favorite Artist  Bae Doona, Moon Chae Won, Gong Hyo Jin, Cho Seung Woo, Jang Hyuk,, Jo In Sung,  Gong Yoo

Drama watching now: Plot Love,  Chimera ,The Psychologist, Always have,Always will , Show Windows: Queens House