Tale of the Nine Tailed 구미호뎐 [S1-2020][S2-2023]

47 minutes ago, abs-oluteM said:

In order to become a serpent / dragon , they have to practice it for 1,000 years.  A thousand years later, the first person to see him is a dragon. But if the man says, "It's a snake!" Then the beast must be re-executed. ( not sure what this means here I put it in Mandarin here if you can read. 

They have to go into meditation for 1000 years. After that period of time, if the first man they met acknowledge them as a dragon, then they will be dragon. But if that man said it’s a snake, then they have to go back and meditate again. 

• Like 2
  • Insightful 2

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

@abs-oluteM Thank you for sharing! Real life is getting demanding again so can't really participate as much as I would have liked.

Very interesting theories about Ji A and Imoogi, and potentially the human servant as the real mastermind. In Chinese mythology, 螭 refers to a hornless dragon, one of the nine sons of the dragon. Most likely Korea has its equivalent. However, I must say it feels a little anti-climatic if Imoogi turns out to be a petty lizard who threw a 600 year old tantrum because after its meditation efforts, it still failed to become a dragon but ended up on its belly instead!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Signal, Thank You, Missing:The Other Side, Children of Nobody, Misaeng, Tree with Deep Roots, Story of a Man

步步惊心, 长相思, 琅琊榜之风起长林, 平凡的荣耀, 大鱼海棠, 九州缥缈录, 风声, 剑雨

Ice Kacang Puppy Love, Garden of Evening Mists

Mother, 空から降る一億の星, Ouroboros

1 hour ago, abs-oluteM said:

5. What is the dragon?
So what is this terrible Imoogi ?According to Korean legend, this creature was originally called a "godd"  ( I think something is lost in translation here , a four-legged, long-tailed reptile that looked like a gecko or lizard. In order to become a serpent / dragon , they have to practice it for 1,000 years.  A thousand years later, the first person to see him is a dragon. But if the man says, "It's a snake!" Then the beast must be re-executed. ( not sure what this means here I put it in Mandarin here if you can read. 

Your sources may be closer to dragon lore since I didn't study it much. My understanding though of imugis prior to this drama is that imugis are proto-dragons that have snake-like bodies and have to survive a 1000 years in order to become a true dragon. However, imugis aren't necessarily bad, though there have been plenty of fiction (including this drama) apparently that depict some of them as being evil. Imugis are mostly seen as being benevolent.

However, I think this writer is taking liberties with mythology, much as JK Rowlings did with the wizarding world and various western myths for the Harry Potter series.  So, I figure I'll keep an open mind about whatever the drama wants to depict.

Thanks for the speculations though. They're interesting.

1 hour ago, ktcjdrama said:

They have to go into meditation for 1000 years. After that period of time, if the first man they met acknowledge them as a dragon, then they will be dragon. But if that man said it’s a snake, then they have to go back and meditate again. 

I've never heard of this, but that doesn't mean much since my actual dragon lore is minimal. Still, it makes for a sad story of an imugi striving for a 1000 years only to be undone if a human being calls it a snake rather than a dragon.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 2
1 hour ago, stroppyse said:

I've never heard of this, but that doesn't mean much since my actual dragon lore is minimal. Still, it makes for a sad story of an imugi striving for a 1000 years only to be undone if a human being calls it a snake rather than a dragon.

@stroppyse I would really be concerned for said human who undid his 1000 year efforts due to poor discernment!

However. as you mentioned, imoogi in Korean mythology are serpent-like, thus differentiating them from the Chinese 螭 chī, which is a hornless dragon with feet. As such, hopefully the petulant lizard backstory will not be used here. 

@abs-oluteM If the child is possessed by the Imoogi, it would mean that there is a human child to begin with. However, the island comprised only of older folk and no newborns, so I can't see how that would work out. Not to mention his unnatural growth and intelligence. I am not quite convinced that A Eum was the daughter of the Imoogi... more likely a piece of its soul (ya ya... Harry Potter'ish) lodged itself in A Eum when she died, its way of ensuring its resurrection in the future, when her blood finally awakens it and restores its power? We've heard repeatedly that Ji A is special, and this could be the reason. As for the child's compassion towards the bird... it could also be that he was the one who compelled the bird to throw itself against the wall of the house, then restored it back to life to assert his power over life and death. Dunno. Just throwing wild guesses here.

Apart from the much anticipated Lee Kyu Hyung cameo, can I just say that my favourite takeaway from Ep6 is what we already know anyway, but reinforced yet again - that Yeon is the most precious to Rang. The drama is just pulling out all the stops to make us root more and more for these two estranged siblings.

Edited by liddi
  • Like 1
  • Insightful 2
  • Haha 1

Signal, Thank You, Missing:The Other Side, Children of Nobody, Misaeng, Tree with Deep Roots, Story of a Man

步步惊心, 长相思, 琅琊榜之风起长林, 平凡的荣耀, 大鱼海棠, 九州缥缈录, 风声, 剑雨

Ice Kacang Puppy Love, Garden of Evening Mists

Mother, 空から降る一億の星, Ouroboros

Translation of the scene. It's sweet. Here you go @abs-oluteM

JA: But, where are you going?
LY: Me? Work.

(In the car)
JA: This work that you’re going to… it isn’t to my company, is it?
LY: Yes. Of course.
JA: You can’t go into the station without credentials.
LY: I’m a gumiho. Who would be able to block my way? I’ll do as I need to.
JA: But, why are you dressed that way?
LW: What? So that I won’t attract attention in a normal company. You don’t like it?
JA: Well, it’s not that, but… aside from the executives, they don’t wear neckties.
LY: Oh, really?
JA: Could we just untie that necktie?
LY: No. I’ll just be an executive.

(In the building)
Office workers: Hello, Executive Director!
LY: Yes. You’re all working hard.  (this is an actual morning greeting, especially from a superior)
JA: What is it? Did you just hypnotize them all?
LY: Yes.
JA: Well, why did you choose to be an Executive Director?
LY: When you watch the dramas, if they’re good looking and have a lot of money, they seem to be Executive Directors.
JA: Ahh. So, now that you’re an Executive Director, what are you going to do?
LY: Mmm. I’ll wait for you. Over here.
JA: Here? All day?
LY: I don’t know about anything else, but I am really good at waiting. Even if it wasn’t 24 hours, but 24 years, I could sit still and wait.
JA: Mm
LY: Mm
(fixes his tie)
LY: Go to work. And, if anything happens, call me immediately.
JA: Yes
(JA starts to walk away, then turns)
JA: Thank you, Lee Yeon. For staying right there.

• Thanks 4
10 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

LY: No. I’ll just be an executive.

11 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

LY: When you watch the dramas, if they’re good looking and have a lot of money, they seem to be Executive Directors.
JA: Ahh. So, now that you’re an Executive Director, what are you going to do?
LY: Mmm. I’ll wait for you. Over here.
JA: Here? All day?
LY: I don’t know about anything else, but I am really good at waiting. Even if it wasn’t 24 hours, but 24 years, I could sit still and wait.

Thanks so much @stroppyse. I am laughing so hard. LY is hilarious - yes why be a normal employee when you can be in top management! 

------------------

new stills

BF.24212672.1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

7 minutes ago, kimberlyamor said:

i don't understand a thing smiling with heart eyes on 

They're promoting their drama hahaha

First it's just her 'serving' him sugar, vinegar and sauces and LDW kept saying, "I've already put it!"

Then she said, "Oppa, if you want to keep getting treated like this what do you do?"

LDW: "Watch Episode 8"

JBA: "Where?"

LDW: "Every Wed-Thu at 10:30pm" on tvN.

JBA: "When is it?"

Together: "That's today"

...something like that xD

• Thanks 1
  • Heart Eyes 2
2 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

They're promoting their drama hahaha

First it's just her 'serving' him sugar, vinegar and sauces and LDW kept saying, "I've already put it!"

Then she said, "Oppa, if you want to keep getting treated like this what do you do?"

LDW: "Watch Episode 8"

JBA: "Where?"

LDW: "Every Wed-Thu at 10:30pm" on tvN.

JBA: "When is it?"

Together: "That's today"

...something like that xD

hahaha. Lee Yeon should watch TONT diligently then :smile:

Thank you BTW :) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Video cuts from eps 7

Awww so sweet...our LY won't even leave her for a second. Tried to cook for her ( Vet assistant still had to come over to save the day. And oh my there was a bed scene...:laugh:

Spoiler

ahahahah nothing happened ...they just talked . Lol

giphy.gif

Ooo LR senses that YR may like the vet guy. Oo LR's pet dog who died reincarnated into this cute kid who just could not leave LR alone

Spoiler

ohhh JA got hold of that magical glass from the shaman - she saw her past as Ah Eum and at the end it she told LY she saw him kill her ...dang it was tragic

Urghhh ...lots of tears...we see some flashback to how Ahh Eum killed her father ..were that scales on his hands? @stroppyse can I trouble you to translate? Thanks

• Like 2

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

Translation of the preview for episode 8

LY: If I were to be born again, just once, I would like to live as a human.
LY: I no longer have any intention of letting you win. Imugi. Where is it right now?
King: From the day you were born, you were meant to be the sacrifice.
Man: Since you’re going to be my bride.
Woman: What is it that you fear the most?
JA: Yeou Gogae? (Fox Bridge)
LY: From now on, I will do whatever I have to.
JA: Mom!
LY: Just a little longer. Hold on just a little longer.

I think the King must have been an imugi himself or been taken over by the spirit of an imugi? Definitely scales on his hand on the throne.

Not sure who the younger man is since I have not watched the episode yet, but is it perhaps the older human face of the imugi?

Anyway, it seems as if there will be more drama, tension, thrills, and tears in the next episode. I hope episode 7 has enough sweetness to carry me through episode 8. Will be back with comments after I get a chance to watch ep 7.

@abs-oluteM, I wasn't sure if you were asking for a translation for the preview or the scene. So, here is the preview. If you wanted the scene instead, let me know.

• Thanks 3

I really want Lee Rang to be redeemed and be happy with his little puppy of a boy! Please! Everytime I see Lee Rang, he just breaks my heart a little bit. LR is still a lost little boy who was abandoned by his mother and who was nearly burned alive by the villagers. He still likes his brother LY and doesn't understand why his brother also seemingly abandoned him. I'm hoping that his puppy will finally break through to the hard, bitter, cynical walls that LR has erected around him.

Otherwise, LY and JA were very sweet and couple-y this episode. It's nice that they are both doing things that the other one will like, like mint chocolate ice cream for LY and LY making fresh rice and shopping for shoes.

And, LY telling JA's work colleagues that he was one-sided crushing on JA and pursuing her, only for her to say that it wasn't a one-sided crush, that it was a two-sided crush.

Well, it was sweet until JA saw through the tiger's eyebrow that LY had killed her in her past life to kill the imugi, and that JA's conclusion was that LY had made her the sacrificial victim from the start for that purpose. Ugh, that ending. I'm not sure whether I'm looking forward to tomorrow's episode or dreading it. Maybe both?

To finish this post, something a bit light and funny. This is from the conversation that LR has with the little puppy boy in the ice cream shop. The boy asks LR why he's buying him chocolate bread when LR doesn't like him. LR says that he's paying a debt. In Korean, the word for debt and the word for comb or brush are the same word. That's why when LR says that he's paying back a debt, the little boy asks whether LR wants a comb to comb his hair. LOL  LR responds to that by snidely saying that the little boy was not very smart. However, I thought it was very little boy-like. Most little kids don't really understand the concept of debt since they're at the age where people are always just giving things to them. Anyway, I thought it was cute and the subs didn't really explain the joke, so I thought I would mention it.

Looking forward to ep 8.

• Heart Eyes 2

This is a pleasant surprise. Voldemort Adult imoogi is played by Lee Tae Ri (Jimichi in Extraordinary You)!

396038de-bdd9-4fce-b8c0-0b7beb7f1c21.jpg

I'm thinking she maybe possessed by imoogi so he had to kill her then in order for imoogi to die. Not surprise there. This time it's likely it can be different. Imoogi himself said so he's changed. Lee Rang may be of help too.

I like the side-story of Lee Rang and his little puppy kid. The change in his expression when he saw little black pup has redeemed him like, 10 points, lol.

BTW, I need to see more foxy eyes from Lee Yeon.

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 1
  • Insightful 1
6 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

I like the side-story of Lee Rang and his little puppy kid. The change in his expression when he saw little black pup has redeemed him like, 10 points, lo

Yeah. I did feel so bad for LR. It was so heart wrenching because he was half blood, his mum left him to be burned by the villagers. It doesn't help that he feels LY abandoned him too. I do see a glimmer of hope in LR. He may be acting all rebellious and bad, but the fact that he saved YuRi in the past , and even  that dog etc means that his redemption is possible.

12 hours ago, stroppyse said:

Well, it was sweet until JA saw through the tiger's eyebrow that LY had killed her in her past life to kill the imugi, and that JA's conclusion was that LY had made her the sacrificial victim from the start for that purpose. Ugh, that ending. I'm not sure whether I'm looking forward to tomorrow's episode or dreading it. Maybe both?

I do wonder though if what she sees is just a small part of the whole story. Perhaps Ah Eum wanted it too as in that was the only way that the world could be rid of the Imoogi, and she had asked him to do it. Because there were scenes earlier where it was so hard for him to part with her , and that he asked her to be re-born as a human again & he promises to find her.

-----------------

Stills for tonight

BF.24244802.1.jpg

• Like 3

Tonight's episode seems tailor made for Halloween :Pumpkin:

I don't completely understand but in a flashback scene, we see her Ah Eum confronts her cruel king father and was going to shoot him with an arrow  , but she did not at the end. Seems she made some deal with her own life ? Need subs.  But I tell you what is freaky. This I believe is the work of the Imoogi. At the end of this cut,Ji Ah secured a recording of her sessions with a psychologist, and little Ji Ah was spooked Ji Ah out with the things she said. And she even started reading the signs that were behind JiAh. 

This is a long cut of the brother's history. That time when LR was abandoned by his mum and almost eaten by zombies, it was shown that LY had come to save him. From what I understand , I don't think they share the same mother. His mum was human and I suppose the father was the fox ( possibly LY's dad) . But from that day onwards, he followed LY and this is why LY is the most precious thing to him as LY was the one who saved him. But again towards the end of the episode, for some strange reason , adult LR was transported back to this past and was again shown to have been abandoned by his mum , and this time more zombies after him. LR was in his adult form

Spoiler

I believe the Imoogi has a hand in all this as he is simultaneously getting both LR and JA to relieve their past ( in JA's case it was the accident) and they look like they would die if they don't get help , and LY was only allowed to go save either one

Spoiler

Preview... @stroppyse trouble you to translate this

(seems like LY went to save LR and I think he got badly injured)

In what was a heavy ep 8 , this was so cute...this love line is headed somewhere :smile:

• Like 1

Translation of the preview for ep 9. Here you go @abs-oluteM

LY: Will I be able to save both of them from this hell?
JA: But until just now, I had been in the office.
LY: Don’t be afraid and just think. What is it that you’re most afraid of?
LR: Being thrown away.
LR: No!
LY: I have never thrown you away, even once.
Hyun Ui Ong: Yeon went with some idea, of what he is going up against.  
JA: I’m not alone. I trust Lee Yeon.
LY: Please. Don’t let my decision be wrong.

It seems that LY will have to go and save both JA and LR from their hells, and may have to choose which one to save first? The preview is tense, but I'm actually getting some comfort from it, that LY will be successful in saving both. If he does, then that may be the beginning of LY and LR reconciling.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Figured I should translate the cuteness since I'm all in favor of cuteness.

YR: What are you doing?!
SJ: Because you weren’t answering your phone or replying to the text messages I sent.
SJ: I have something to discuss with you. About the dog that YuRi-shi had brought in.
YR: Oh no! He didn’t die, did he?
SJ: No, that’s not it.
SJ: That dog, you know… doesn’t have a name.
YR: Just name him anything!
SJ: Can’t do that! A name is his only identity.
YR: Then you can thoughtfully select him a name.
SJ: But YuRi-shi is his mom.
YR: Mom? Hmm…mom. Anastasia. Name him that.
SJ: Anastasia? That’s a pretty name. Even though he's a male dog, it seems to suit him.
YR: Of course!
YR: What are you looking at?
SJ: Just because. I was just thinking that perhaps you really are the YuRi-shi that I had thought you were.
YR: If you look at me one more time with that kind of gaze, you won’t be able to see ever again.
SJ: I don’t care how you have lived thus far. Whatever the reason that you approached me, I don’t care about that either. I’m going to show you! That the world is not just full of evil.
YR: The words you said just now. I’m going to make you beat the ground in regret for saying them. (meaning beat the ground in despair and regret)
SJ: I’ll look forward to it. Oh!
(SJ kisses YR on the cheek)
YR: I’m going to kill you!
SJ: See you later!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Heart Eyes 1