My Dear Guardian 亲爱的戎装 [2021]

On 6/24/2021 at 8:15 AM, NiteWalker said:

he was one of the better looking officer in the whole team and i like looking at him....sigh.....why did they have to kill him

lol, agree, he was indeed a better-looking one.

@themarchioness I think the director who produced this drama is the sort who is known for doing action dramas. So in action dramas, it's perfectly alright for people to drop dead like flies. Besides, it's very propaganda-ish...loyalty towards country, sacrifice for the greater good, as the Commander put it - in the interests of the country, as a soldier/police officer, everything is non-negotiable, it's really the penultimate duty that one has to uphold when one is in uniform. As for patients, I suppose, it's a realistic portrayal - not everyone who goes into the hospital comes out alive. Just that, for those of us who are in it for the romance, all the deaths leave a bad taste. More so, as 

Spoiler

Tian Yong dies. And from the preview, his heart goes to someone. I kinda think the director/script writer has a dark humour, this time round, when LMZ asks who was the heart donated to, she tells him it's patient confidentiality. Tit for tat, I suppose, for the many times he told her he can't comment, as it's confidential information.

• Sad 2
3 minutes ago, IpohBanana said:

Reveal hidden contents

he is one true hero....

Spoiler

he donated his organs.....and he even help the force to lock the evidence against the baddies!!!

he is really one TRUE HERO!!! thats why when they all salute him when they sent him into the operation room had me crying

:pandasad:

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, IpohBanana said:

I think the director who produced this drama is the sort who is known for doing action dramas. 

So in action dramas, it's perfectly alright for people to drop dead like flies.  

I’ve read that about the director as well, and how there were expectations for the action scenes, as a result. But this drama is based on a book, so I’m more curious as to how closely the drama follows it’s original source material with people dying left and right.

Sigh… the YouTube speculations re TY were correct. Wish they hadn’t been! 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

My Fanfics

Descendants of the Sun • A Love So Beautiful • Le Coupe de Foudre • Gank Your Heart • Go Ahead • Legend of Fei

48 minutes ago, NiteWalker said:

Hide contents

He donated his organs.....and he even help the force to lock the evidence against the baddies!!!

he is really one TRUE HERO!!! thats why when they all salute him when they sent him into the operation room had me crying

:pandasad:

I just FFed and watched the ending scene,

Spoiler

my Gosh, really Propaganda! I am sure this drama (besides excessive violence) had no issues with censorship. Kinda like a promotional video, to recruit people into the Army and Police too, more the former than the latter, but definitely the vibes are there.

And such a poetic ending for screeching cousin, his message to her in Morse Code (?) as he was tapping into the phone, and decoded by the cousin's dad, was an admission that she was his girl, and his soul would be hers. I think that was what she needed, an admission of his affections for her. And of all things, for his heart to be given to ZR/PY's mother, I am not sure how I feel about that. That the transplanted heart would race in the presence of the screeching cousin, was a nice touch.
But for the last episode to have such scenes, including a visit to the memorial for the fallen comrades, is rather bleak. Even if the dinner btwn XC and in-laws lightened it up a bit, and finally finished it off with a propaganda ending...hhmmm.. I won't say this is truly feel-good.

Edited by IpohBanana
  • Like 2
2 minutes ago, IpohBanana said:

I just FFed and watched the ending scene, my Gosh, really Propaganda! I am sure this drama (besides excessive violence) had no issues with censorship. Kinda like a promotional video, to recruit people into the Army and Police too, more the former than the latter, but definitely the vibes are there.

yes

this drama also have a very close touch to reality....it doesnt tone it down or beautify it...

where everyone will have their up and down and also the sacrifice each made for one another....

• Like 3

I am still slow like tortoise...ahaahaha...I have a few kdramas mid week that needed catching up on, so have decided to slowly watch this so that I can just see Johnny a little longer :laugh:

Okay in all seriousness , I am watching eps 31 and why the heck did XX turn up when her father & TY went undercover? Honestly I was annoyed with her. I know she didn't know but still ....

Talking about propaganda in the show.. there is plenty peppered in the cheesy lines that this scriptwriter like to use . I cringed when XC was telling LMZ that she is a doctor and a soldier and can handle protecting the truth or something like that. Aiyo. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

25 minutes ago, abs-oluteM said:

Talking about propaganda in the show.. there is plenty peppered in the cheesy lines that this scriptwriter like to use . I cringed when XC was telling LMZ that she is a doctor and a soldier and can handle protecting the truth or something like that. Aiyo. 

Or when the Special Forces team was competing against another foreign Special Forces team and the Chinese leader says to the other team’s leader that they’re fortunate to be able to train and learn from the other team, and the foreign leader says no, no, no, they’re the ones who are fortunate to be able to compete against China who has the strongest army. 

Actually, I find a lot of Chinese dramas have these little nationalistic toss away lines in their script lines.  Given the military theme of this one it’s to be even more expected.  Plus, summer time is always a time when we see more China-pride dramas given the CCP’s anniversary date in July.  This year is an especially big anniversary date for China, so it’s not really a surprise we’d see all the propaganda.

• Haha 4

My Fanfics

Descendants of the Sun • A Love So Beautiful • Le Coupe de Foudre • Gank Your Heart • Go Ahead • Legend of Fei

I finished skimming the remaining eps and wow, such a change in the tone and tenor of the show. I mean, it wasn’t a surprise given that the narrative of the story has been transitioning for a while now, the closer we reach the end climax of the story. But there were times, too, where I thought about how I missed the cute push/pull tone of the earlier eps, complete with cat-narrated moments. Just highlights how light hearted things were initially, by comparison. 

Still, the end eps were pretty exciting especially the action scenes. Loved all the acrobatic moves! That was pretty thrilling. The hardest parts to watch, of course, were any scenes related to XX and her assault. If ZR is creepy, Long Yi is just gross. 

I also found Migu annoying. ZR/PY was such a bad egg, and she was so heartbroken over him… (inexplicably so, IMO)… I was really impressed XC didn’t just throw her out given all that she and LMZ had suffered at PY’s hands. Although I was glad she at least set Migu straight on that score. 

What I did like was how things ended on hopeful, positive notes for Dr Zhang and MZ, XX and her father… and of course XC and LMZ were a dear to watch any time they were on screen together. Just love how natural they look.  Especially when they were they curled up together in the hospital break room. 

As for the sad stuff…

Spoiler

I don’t know if I was just well-prepared or what but I found TY’s death sad, but acceptable for the story. Like it made sense and I could see why it had to happen. (Unlike that other police officer’s death.)  In order to get to Lao Ye, they needed to go deep and it would’ve been hard to make it out alive once he made it in to expose them.  The writing was kind of on the wall too with all the times they emphasized TY being an orphan. I find it meaningful that he had an opportunity to touch XX’s life and his legacy will live on in those around him that knew him. Truly, a beloved hero that lives on in all our hearts.

Anyway, look forward to going back and watching the eps in full and subbed.

Edited by themarchioness
  • Like 3
  • Clapping Hands 1

My Fanfics

Yipee... I think i will slowly watch ep 32 to ending. 

I saw the clip when lmz was injured in the camp n he told xc that when he told he knew he was a goner when he fell asleep completely offguard besides her. I always love to know the ah haa moment for the leads haha... So happy here they gave it to us. Its the moment he came home drunk during luo liang death anniversary n he fell asleep so offguard she took a photo of him. No wonder next morning when he lip read she cant even date a military man he was behaving like a guy throwing tantruns when xc asked him to go see psychiatrist n in xj room, dr zhang asked what they r doing q that board game, he answered planning next move haha... This lmz. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
12 hours ago, themarchioness said:

Or when the Special Forces team was competing against another foreign Special Forces team and the Chinese leader says to the other team’s leader that they’re fortunate to be able to train and learn from the other team, and the foreign leader says no, no, no, they’re the ones who are fortunate to be able to compete against China who has the strongest army. 

Actually, I find a lot of Chinese dramas have these little nationalistic toss away lines in their script lines.  Given the military theme of this one it’s to be even more expected.  Plus, summer time is always a time when we see more China-pride dramas given the CCP’s anniversary date in July.  This year is an especially big anniversary date for China, so it’s not really a surprise we’d see all the propaganda.

Funny thing is i imagine majority of audiences who watch this are ladies. So after watching lmz n the promotional shots of hjy, will there be a upwards trend in ladies liking military men n asking their bf go to be soldiers haha... Everyone want lmz, ty n luo liang. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
12 hours ago, NiteWalker said:

might be finish already and has vaccinated 

If he was vaccinated he wouldn’t have needed the immunoglobulin (antibody) shot that’s given within the first 12 hours after exposure to help a person avoid being infected by Hepatitis B. Hepatitis B is also one of the ones that has a vaccine available and is recommended for at-risk individuals, which would include a health care worker like Dr Z given that he operates on people. I also checked and they definitely said Hep B. I think that’s another lack in the storyline, honestly. 

• Like 1
  • Insightful 2

My Fanfics

Finished the drama with skipping most scenes with Rhae mengo and Tian.  First, for some reason RM reminded me of characters from  Twilight… 

The action detailed  to a perfect T  left me impressed.  The main leads love story line was cheesy end. Nevertheless I loved the aura the main lead gives off. His walking gives off this huge vibe I can feel and just wish I could get a back hug to embrace the aura. For the screaming dysfunctional lady wished she got therapy.  She was just too messed up. I skipped  her scenes too. The scenes when patients found out the doctor had hepatitis B made me laugh to hard.

Overall give this drama 8.   If the ending was less cheesy it would be a 10

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

23 hours ago, themarchioness said:

If he was vaccinated he wouldn’t have needed the immunoglobulin (antibody) shot that’s given within the first 12 hours after exposure to help a person avoid being infected by Hepatitis B.

i mean it might finished means the antibody might be down to zero which means he will need to retake the Hep B vaccine....

though i never really read into it so you might be right on it than me  :lenny:

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, NiteWalker said:

i mean it might finished means the antibody might be down to zero which means he will need to retake the Hep B vaccine....

Studies indicate that immunologic memory remains intact for at least 30 years among healthy people who initiated hepatitis B vaccination at >6 months of age (16).”

https://www.cdc.gov/hepatitis/hbv/hbvfaq.htm

Would add there’s currently no booster shot for the Hep B vaccine and I believe it’s generally considered a one shot/lifetime thing.

Edited by themarchioness
  • Insightful 2

My Fanfics

4 minutes ago, themarchioness said:

Would add there’s currently no booster shot for the Hep B vaccine and it’s usually considered a one shot/lifetime thing.

so if its stated as such....there should be at least another 10 years right...

cause if they took at 16 its suppose to last them another 30 years....which means it suppose to be expire by 46....however its expire in Dr. Zhang earlier than indicated since he is only 36 or 38 now?

@themarchioness we are tearing into ppl plots hahahaha :wow2:

• Haha 1
13 minutes ago, NiteWalker said:

so if its stated as such....there should be at least another 10 years right...

cause if they took at 16 its suppose to last them another 30 years....which means it suppose to be expire by 46....however its expire in Dr. Zhang earlier than indicated since he is only 36 or 38 now?

@themarchioness we are tearing into ppl plots hahahaha :wow2:

That’s only IF he took it at age 16. What that quote is saying is basically saying is that for anyone who receives the vaccine after their 16th birthday, studies have proven it’s effective for at least 30 years. Realistically it’s a vaccine that’s only given once there is a need. For example, you’re traveling to a country with a higher prevalence of Hep B, you have chronic liver disease, you are at risk for blood exposure, etc., so it’s unlikely Dr Z would’ve gotten the vaccine just because he turned 16 years old. I would imagine once he became a doctor, then he’d receive it (or would want to, at least), so he should be in a protected period. 

I don’t think Dr Z has an expired vaccine, I just think he never got it, and that seems illogical to me. 😝

• Haha 2

My Fanfics

11 minutes ago, themarchioness said:

I don’t think Dr Z has an expired vaccine, I just think he never got it, and that seems illogical to me. 😝

hahaha true...lets just say he never get it...

however he went for the front lines service and shouldnt they be getting them whether they need it or not?

both of us are so bad....we are tearing into all these details just to appease our own curiosity 

• Haha 2

I must be the only still watching this. :heiboi:

Eps 32 & 33 were not bad. LMZ and XC's relationship shows maturity. Initially when XC decided to go to Isaia to look for her dad , I thought this will turn out badly especially when she didn't want to tell LMZ. I somewhat rolled my eyes because she figured she didn't want to make him feel bad since it would not have been possible for him to leave base and fly with her.  I somewhat understood where she was coming, but I figured it would still be best for him to know than for him to worry frantically later on , not knowing where she went. For the 1st time , I finally approve of MiGu who decided to tell LMZ. Though LMZ could not accompany her, he did everything he could to help her from where he was - connecting her to the right people, making sure she was taken care of and coming up with the building plan which ultimately saved her father. I did like this realistic approach the drama took instead of making him fly over which would not have been possible. 

Anyway despite, LMZ's redeployment , I am glad that they have decided to make this work . And I suppose they will meet with her going for the military training.  On to the other romances,  sad that Dr Zhang has cut of ties with MZ. Sigh. And it was sweet that TY sent that Morse code to Shrieky. Though I read what happened to him, I think for her she'd be happy to know how he truly thought of her.

• Like 2

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

13 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

For the 1st time , I finally approve of MiGu who decided to tell LMZ. Though LMZ could not accompany her, he did everything he could to help her from where he was - connecting her to the right people, making sure she was taken care of and coming up with the building plan which ultimately saved her father. I did like this realistic approach the drama took instead of making him fly over which would not have been possible. 

also when things are table out, the commander of LMZ team is pretty supportive despite him not really approving of XC with LMZ together due to conflict of interest

Migu did redeem herself in the end...though to be honest i can understand where she stood....sometimes when u fall hard means u fall hard.

• Insightful 1

You're not alone, @abs-oluteM! I just finished watching MDG this week as well and am having trouble saying good-bye.  Although there were, objectively, some problems with the drama, on the whole, it just really clicked for me and I loved it.  Also, I really liked the OTP and can easily picture a future for the two of them, which is the best way I like to leave a drama.

15 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

Anyway despite, LMZ's redeployment , I am glad that they have decided to make this work . And I suppose they will meet with her going for the military training. 

I thought about LMZ's redeployment a lot while finishing the drama, including @SnT's earlier question of what the redeployment really meant and how it would affect the OTP's relationship, and one thing that finally occurred to me is that "redeployment" is the choice term that iQiyi decided to use when translating "yi fang." But "yi fang" actually means (literally) to move the defense (my dictionary translates it as: to be shifted elsewhere for garrison duty).  The reason I think this matters is because when we think of a deployment (at least for where I live), it's a temporary arrangement where a service member leaves his home base/family to serve elsewhere for a finite amount of time - sometimes it's as a little as a few months, sometimes it's as long as 1.5 years, but it's not forever.  And when you think about it in that terms, then maybe Xia Chu's concern over the redeployment did seem a bit much because it wasn't like LMZ wouldn't ever return to her side.  

But when I finally watched the remaining episodes subbed, there were two things that stood out to me.  First there was the scene where it looked like soldiers were packing up the base archives as part of the "redeployment."  Second there was the scene where LMZ talked to his brigade commander about the "redeployment" and its effect on the brigade commander's family; although his wife had endured his many moves for the sake of his career, he conceded it would be harder for his daughter to have to pick up and move.  Both these scenes suggest to me that it wasn't just a deployment that these soldiers were going on, in the sense that they'd return eventually, but rather, it looked to me like they were really moving bases altogether.  

In any event, whether they were moving bases or planning on returning to that base eventually, it can't be denied that military life is hard on families because of all the moving around that is often involved.  It's especially hard for the tag-along spouse because it affects their career (to say nothing of having to carry the burden of the family when one spouse is away serving their country).  When you consider matters in those terms Xia Chu's hesitation makes a lot more sense.  Sure, she could've quit her job at the hospital and followed LMZ to the base, something she herself suggested at one point, but LMZ wouldn't let her because he knew that wasn't what she really wanted and it wouldn't make her happy.  Although she could've continued to be a doctor, she probably wouldn't have been able to be the cardiac surgeon that she wanted to be -- after all, it's not every medical facility that deals in transplant surgeries, etc.  Ultimately, I don't think Xia Chu was worried only about the distance and not being able to see each other (although it is a legit concern, because it would've been hard to start a relationship just as LMZ had to leave) but rather she was probably considering the bigger picture as well -- what being married to a career military person would look like.  

16 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

And it was sweet that TY sent that Morse code to Shrieky. Though I read what happened to him, I think for her she'd be happy to know how he truly thought of her.

Ahhh Tian Yong.... truly heartbreaking, but what a hero through and through!  The scene where everyone lined up to send him off before the operation to remove his organs for donation was truly a touching moment.  Looking back there were signs here and there that he wouldn't make it to the end, such as when he filled out that organ donation form!  Sometimes what seemed like random events would later turn out to have meaning for this drama, and that was definitely one of those instances.  

Anyway, after watching all the episodes in full, I remain in peaceful acceptance of Tian Yong's death.  It sucked and of course if I had my pick, he would live.  But on the other hand, it makes sense why the story had to be written in such a way.  This is contrasted against the Police Chief's assistant.  It's funny because that guy wasn't as central to the story as Tian Yong but I am waaaay more upset about his death, but it all comes down to the fact that his death felt really senseless, like it added nothing to the story and didn't feel necessary other than to add more heartbreak to the story.  Tian Yong's death, on the the other hand, not only made sense but served a purpose.  It allowed him to infiltrate Lao Ye's compound and get the information that the police/military needed to take down the whole drug operation.  Clearly, LMZ felt the same way because while he was certainly affected by Tian Yong's death, he was able to cope with it much better compared to when Xiao Jun's father died.

Of course, Tian Yong's death doesn't bring the same feelings of guilt that Xiao Jun's father's death did and that's a huge difference even if both died similarly as heroes in the line of duty.  I really liked the scene that LMZ shared with Xiao Jun's father when he was in his coma and right before he woke up.  When LMZ said that every time he looked at Xiao Jun and his mother he felt guilt, and the friend told him it was time for him to let go of those guilty feelings, my eyes definitely got wobbly! 

2 hours ago, NiteWalker said:

also when things are table out, the commander of LMZ team is pretty supportive despite him not really approving of XC with LMZ together due to conflict of interest

There are two separate things going on there.  I actually think the brigade commander is supportive of LMZ and XC's relationship.  I mean, he said as much at various times when he encouraged LMZ to go after her.  He also demonstrated his support when he did things like not punishing LMZ when he caught him sneaking back into the base after having gone to see Xia Chu off at the airport.  The only reason he didn't approve LMZ and Xia Chu's relationship report when LMZ submitted it the first time was because Xia Chu's father was under investigation at that time.  The brigade commander said they had to wait for the outcome of that investigation, but that doesn't mean he didn't support their relationship.  I'm sure he felt as much regret as LMZ did in having to turn away the report.  And certainly, once Xia Chu's father was cleared, the relationship report was approved.

2 hours ago, NiteWalker said:

Migu did redeem herself in the end...though to be honest i can understand where she stood....sometimes when u fall hard means u fall hard.

Haha, personally, Migu will forever be my greatest mystery of this drama!  But I guess love at first sight can really happen for some people... I thought one of the kindest things Pei Yu could do for Migu was to tell her, in the end, that no, he'd never loved her and that he was using her the entire time.  Hopefully that will help Migu to move on.  

Pei Yu's expressions as he walked away from Migu, on the other hand, were interesting and I wasn't sure what the writer was trying to convey in having him look regretful -- as if he hadn't really meant what he'd just said.  Are we to believe that Pei Yu really did have (at least some) feelings for Migu?  Because I never felt them along the way -- at all.  He always appeared to me like he was using her, which is why it was so frustrating that she couldn't see or sense the same.  I mean, for more than half the drama, he was obsessed with Xia Chu and then he was just pissed at Xiao Chu for picking LMZ over Zhuo Ran, so... it's hard to believe he had any room leftover to have feelings for Migu, which is why, when he answered as he did in the prison visiting room, I thought to myself, "Well at least he's finally being honest for once."  But then he walked away and looked pained and regretful and I thought, "Wait, what?  Huh."  LOL.

Anyway... this has turned into a rambly reply, but one more thing I will say about the last 10 episodes of this drama -- awesome action scenes!  My favorite is when LMZ leapt from the building (like a flying squirrel!) and slid down the rope to rescue Xia Chu on the suspended scaffold.  :wow:

• Insightful 1
  • Haha 1

My Fanfics

19 minutes ago, themarchioness said:

There are two separate things going on there.  I actually think the brigade commander is supportive of LMZ and XC's relationship.  I mean, he said as much at various times when he encouraged LMZ to go after her. 

yes he want LMZ to be in a relationship and from wat he can see or from his stand points it work for XC to be together with LMZ, since she work for the military hospital, its pretty easy for her to apply to work in base together with LMZ there will be no obstacles there for both LMZ and XC....

besides he acknowledge XC as he can see her skills..and she also save TianYong once before during their engagement in episode 1 :smile:

what hold him back alittle was because of XC's dad scandal at the moment...like what you say he will definitely approve them once the father is clear, as its shown from the start that the father is frame and now all they need is the last obstacles to prove that his ID was mis-used by his assistant. 

23 minutes ago, themarchioness said:

Pei Yu's expressions as he walked away from Migu, on the other hand, were interesting and I wasn't sure what the writer was trying to convey in having him look regretful -- as if he hadn't really meant what he'd just said.  Are we to believe that Pei Yu really did have (at least some) feelings for Migu?  Because I never felt them along the way -- at all.  He always appeared to me like he was using her, which is why it was so frustrating that she couldn't see or sense the same.  I mean, for more than half the drama, he was obsessed with Xia Chu and then he was just pissed at Xiao Chu for picking LMZ over Zhuo Ran, so... it's hard to believe he had any room leftover to have feelings for Migu, which is why, when he answered as he did in the prison visiting room, I thought to myself, "Well at least he's finally being honest for once."  But then he walked away and looked pained and regretful and I thought, "Wait, what?  Huh."  LOL.

definitely no....i do not think that PeiYu ever felt anything....in a sense i felt he blame his twin for his current situation....especially the part where he remises the situation where they switch their identify before ZuoRan went out and he took his place next to the mother instead

• Like 1