Joseon Exorcist - 조선구마사 [Cancelled]

Darkarcana

On 3/18/2021 at 1:21 AM, mademoiselle said:

Is PSH someone's Oppa? Yours @Tofu? I know his face but I don't think I watch many/any of his dramas, haha.

Not an oppa just yet, someone I admire from afar, maybe? Hahaha!

I'm glad that they show the makeup process. I love seeing the preparation behind the characters even with the zombie/vampire species -- so much hard work. 

Just a couple more days until it premieres! :yoongibtscheer:

• Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 1
On 3/18/2021 at 2:21 PM, mademoiselle said:

Is PSH someone's Oppa? Yours @Tofu? I know his face but I don't think I watch many/any of his dramas, haha

I like him a lot. 2 dramas as a psycho and one as a tsundere lead . :heart:.

Plus there's my sweet KDJ....okay I see how my schedule is 

I love the entire cast - the ladies too. 

Both PSH and KDJ will have love lines with Lee YuBi and Jung Hye Sung respectively. Romance in the middle of danger is my thing!

BTS (http://www.mrepublic.co.kr/news/articleView.html?idxno=66273)

66273_96262_106.jpg

I screenshot this character chart from SBS IG.

vahZbAE.jpg

• Haha 2

Mon-Tues: -  Wed-Thurs: -  Fri-Sat:  Connection Sat-Sun: The Midnight Romance in Hagwon Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - The Double (2 June)

11 hours ago, Tofu said:

I just saw screenshots from episode one and....this has to be something I watch right when I get home from work or I don't think I can watch it at night time.

That's my plan too! I read it is gory. Will report back later hahaha.

10 hours ago, NiteWalker said:

isnt this kind of show best during night times?

You are talking to 2 scaredy cats here 😅

• Haha 3
7 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

You are talking to 2 scaredy cats here 😅

i always prefer watching scary movies at night then i will scare myself silly with it....when my imagination run lols....

anyway how was it??? cause as i see the longer preview....i find the theme bordering on zombies styles alot.....

it all start with a bite....though one big differences is that it can still talk lols....zombie no talking....just moaning and shouting and then munching away

• Haha 2
16 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

That's my plan too! I read it is gory. Will report back later hahaha.

Same here! I saw photos earlier this morning and was like...I'm going to go back to looking at River Where the Moon Rises photos instead. Haha! The English subs are not available for me too. I can probably use VPN and watch it on WeTV but it's night time now so.....I might have to hold off on it. The things we do for Jang Dong Yoon, @mademoiselle:eeeee:

@NiteWalker - You are on your own with that. :laugh:

• Haha 3
20 minutes ago, Tofu said:

Same here! I saw photos earlier this morning and was like...I'm going to go back to looking at River Where the Moon Rises photos instead. Haha! The English subs are not available for me too. I can probably use VPN and watch it on WeTV but it's night time now so.....I might have to hold off on it. The things we do for Jang Dong Yoon, @mademoiselle:eeeee:

@NiteWalker - You are on your own with that. :laugh:

no worries....its morning for me now lols....

• Haha 3
1 hour ago, NiteWalker said:

i always prefer watching scary movies at night then i will scare myself silly with it....when my imagination run lols....

Hahahahaha that's self-torture. The last time I did that was watching The Grudge (US) with a bunch of people at night in the cinema. Had the corridor light to the toilet on every night and every time I shower with my eyes closed I feel like a face or a hand was behind my head! This lasted for 2 whole weeks.

@Tofu I'm sure by the time I get home after work, the subs should be available. Hopefully. LOL. And then I can "forget it" by watching Navirella. 

• Haha 3
16 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

Hahahahaha that's self-torture. The last time I did that was watching The Grudge (US) with a bunch of people at night in the cinema. Had the corridor light to the toilet on every night and every time I shower with my eyes closed I feel like a face or a hand was behind my head! This lasted for 2 whole weeks.

@Tofu I'm sure by the time I get home after work, the subs should be available. Hopefully. LOL. And then I can "forget it" by watching Navirella. 

u know i forget which drama i watch that times....was it annabelle or something to do with annabelle when i was doing graveyard shift at a guesthouse....

no one was there and there is dark corner everywhere lols....

damn that was really thrilling lols

• Haha 3

@Tofu @abs-oluteM @NiteWalker

I'm done with episode 1. As planned, I watched this first before night comes, LOL! Could not believe by the time I got home, English sub was not available. Had to resort to C-subs.

The verdict is... dun dun dun...

Spoiler

It wasn't scary for me ~ hahaha so I think I can handle watching it at night.

-- Spoiler --

Episode 1 began with King Taejong, Yi Bang Won opening the city's door with a sea of dormant zombies awaiting outside. At first their heads were tilted upwards and not moving. A few of them soon fell to the ground and the rest turned around to attack after, what it seems, a whirl of wind passed by. Bang Won and his armies battle them till daylight. The zombies were all slaughtered and Bang Won continued to kill innocence because he kept seeing former King, his father, Yi Seong Gye. I don't understand why the soldiers just let him kill. Based on the narrative and sypnosis, he managed to seal the evil spirit away.

10 years later, the evil spirit returned. And I now get why we were confused whether it's zombies or evil spirit from the trailer. I'd say 10 years ago, they were zombies but 10 years later, these creatures are more vampiric because they suck blood although they were all the work of the same evil spirit.

There were a lot of blood spilling scenes but it's not to the point where I couldn't take. The seriousness of the show lightened up when Prince Chungnyeong (Jang Do Yoon) appears. Gosh, so handsome especially in my fave colour blue! :wow: He looks all dashing until he gets off the horse and had his foot stuck in the saddle's stirrup :laugh: hahahahahahaha, I love it!

We were also introduced to Seja Yangnyeong, who was trying to bed his lover played by Lee Yubi. They were basically debating who should be "on top" (ahem) until they were interrupted by the Ministers informing him about the monsters.

In short, episode 1 was packed full of actions and quite fast-paced. Chungnyeong was sent to retrieve the exorcist Priest and because the translator Marco wanted to visit the brothel they went with him and was attacked by a female vampire. This is where we saw in the trailer that the vampire was beheaded as she attacked Chungnyeong. The Sadangpae (Kim Dong Jun) bunch saved Chungnyeong. After they left, Chungnyeong, Marco and the Priest tried to exorcise another infected male vampire but I don't think it will be successful (this will continue to episode 2).

Bang Won's youngest son was also infected and due to the Queen's plea, Bang Won agrees to let him live until Chungnyeong return with the Priest. Meanwhile the area* where Yangnyeong was stationed to protect, which he had previously stopped a nobleman's wife in a palaquin from entering, she became a vampire and penetrated the city. King Taejong (Bang Won) is not going to be happy with Yangnyeong again since he's already mad that the infected soldier who attacked the youngest prince was from the area Yangnyeong was ordered to protect.

*Can't remember the name because it's in Chinese, LOL.

All in all, not a single boring moment i.e. no Zzzz moment!

5 hours ago, NiteWalker said:

u know i forget which drama i watch that times....was it annabelle or something to do with annabelle when i was doing graveyard shift at a guesthouse....

no one was there and there is dark corner everywhere lols....

damn that was really thrilling lols

Why would you do that to yourself, just for the thrills?! :PsyWhat:

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Insightful 1
  • Heart Eyes 1
Just now, mademoiselle said:

Hahaha I was doing "thoughts", not recap lehhh. So, what's your thoughts?

To me, it's very interesting to me on how EP 1 they just immediately get to the situation without much thoughts to it. Though I have questions like why 10 years ago the king would start butching people just because of his visions. Feels like a foreshadowing that alot of innocents will die at the end of the show. To me it's very direct and powerful, so it grip on to me very hard. I got pulled in real quick. I love this. Then when EP 2 came, we see more of Dong Yoon and his mate. There is some comedy factor..Great. Cleansing pallate. Hahaha

The kid...so he is like the main vessel? Or just some sort of side vessel?

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

💉🌼🔪🌼💉

“A romantic who likes flowers.”

ezgif-com-crop-5.gif

1 minute ago, Darkarcana said:

The kid...so he is like the main vessel? Or just some sort of side vessel?

I don't think Kangnyeong is the main vessel. The evil spirit should be somewhere far away. Wasn't there a snake in the trailer? But I think through each infected humans, the evil spirit can communicate with whomever it wants thus we see it communicating to Bang Won via Kangnyeong in episode 2 preview.

From Wikipedia's sypnosis, it says:

Spoiler

The founding rulers of Joseon have taken help of the demons and the monsters to overthrow Goryeo. Later the undead return to target the royal family.

And supposedly later on Seja Yangnyeong enters into a contract with the evil spirit due to his greed for the throne. I think the founding rulers of Joseon must have broken the contract with the evil spirit that's why it now seeks to destroy...?

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1
Spoiler

Aishhh. I really hate it when Netizens (be it K or C) complain about things like this. China, Japan and Korea - the countries share similar culture because of cultural influences back then. It upsets me when they argue about who steal whose culture. Why can we all just admit we had been influenced by other countries' culture one way or the other and now we are also being influenced by the Westerns? Why must everything be politically correct when it is a fantasy drama? Why are they obstructing creativity?

More importantly the show has to stop for one week for re-editing. What if this ruin the flow or the quality of the show? How is SBS going to change the historical figures into a fantasy one? Change the surname? :pandadisgusted:

I actually appreciated they used real historical figures because it helps me better grasped the relationships between the king and his sons, as well as the history of Goryeo and Joseon.

--- End of rant ---

Anyway, episode 2 clarified a lot more things for us and it feels like the writer (who wrote Mr Queen) is taking a lot of elements from various fantasies/legends/myths. This time I am reminded of the Ying Yang Master because just like the movie, the evil spirit Azazel is still sealed away in a vessel somewhere underground at the temporary palace protected by the pentacle sign and has awaken and is trying to escape. What we see now is just a bit of it and not yet in full force. Similarly we also see Azazel first appear as "snake" and infects a human through its bite. And this human first dies and then comes back to life just like a vampire and starts sucking blood and infects the rest of the humans. Therefore, these are not zombies.

Hmm, Azazel is a demon who was a fallen angel from Jewish mythology and is portrayed in the form of goat.

Episode 2 continues to be gruesome with beheading scenes with no censor. I don't mind it at all and it actually is very well done and appear real compared to other shows I've seen.

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

"If foreign viewers watch this drama, they will think that the depiction of the Joseon era characters in the drama are real."

• Foreigners who watch for entertainment purposes wouldn't care / know whether they are real historical figures or not. 
  • Those do know (like us), will know it's a fantasy and fictional.
  • "Real" in this context is debatable. It's argueable that what had been portrayed on TV before Joseon Exorcist of Taejong and Sejong are not entirely 100% true to history either.
  • Like the comments underneath this tweet, the reasonable viewers are not imbeciles.
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1