Doom At Your Service 어느 날 우리 집 현관으로 멸망이 들어왔다 [2021]

:laugh: After 7 episodes, I'm still at loss about where the story is heading... I worry much that this will turn into another Abyss for me. But at least the OTP chemistry here is waaaaaaaay better than Abyss, and I think I should be able to continue watching for that alone. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

18 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

:laugh: After 7 episodes, I'm still at loss about where the story is heading... I worry much that this will turn into another Abyss for me. But at least the OTP chemistry here is waaaaaaaay better than Abyss, and I think I should be able to continue watching for that alone. 

I agree their chemistry is off the chart waaaaaay better than Abyss. I'm now unsure whether it has outdone Min Min & Bong Bong. I think theirs are more adult whereas MinBong is cute & fluffy. This Abyss is a better Abyss than the real Abyss. LOL.

I'm still hoping everything will clear up about this fantasy backstory. Otherwise I'm just going to say it's disappointing that Bo Young chose another fantasy that's not really working.

Now with the triangle love between the second leads. I'm dreading the break down of the bromance now since Hyun Kyu looks up/love Joo Ik so much.

• Like 4

Episode 8 Cuts

Oooooo we have another kisseu! Seo In Guk is looking very charming again.

I need a BF like Doom - just because he can teleport me anywhere I want. This means no need to spend hours stuck on a plane. LOL xD

Spoiler

Episode 9 Preview

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Heart Eyes 2

Okay, so I've seen ep 7 and 8 but only the RAW version of 8 since subs aren't out for it yet. 

I still do not understand Female Deity's motivation. When TDK asked MM why he disappeared after the kiss, he responds by saying that it was because he "was chased away". Female Deity seems to have taken MM to every sad event in TDK's life as a reminder to him that he's responsible for all the bad. But I am unclear as to why she did that. Was it to make him feel guilty and therefore feel unworthy of receiving love? 

But then in the scene where he sat on the bridge for a whole day, Female Deity came to tell him that he's making the right choice but just sitting there without caring whether TKD lives or dies. This conversation then prompts him to go looking for TKD. So why would Female Deity even go looking for him if she was already getting what she wanted? A part of me thinks that she is doing all of this to make him accept who he is and to appreciate his role in the grand scheme of things. The reason I say this is because he seems to dislike his role but  TKD is slowly making him realize that his job (of being doom) does not define who he is. And that despite the pain he causes, it allows humans to better appreciate their blessings. 

Here's what I liked about episode 7:

• The scene where TDK falls asleep on the floor as she's staring at the wall where MM's part of the house used to be and MM comes to see her secretly and holds her hand to fulfill his promise. It's so sweet that he never forgets his promise to her.
  • When TDK finally finds him and she asks him to take her to his house so that she knows where to look for him the next time he goes missing is so sad but really emphasized the loss and desperation she felt. 
  • The scene where MM is sitting on the bridge and thinks to himself, "all this time, the rocks I've been throwing, I've throwing at myself after all.." I don't know yet how to interpret this but I think he's beginning to recognize that he feels sympathy and it hurts him to see TDK suffering.

At the end of the episode, we flashback to the same sad scenes that MM witnessed except this time, we see that despite the sadness and disappointment TDK felt at each of those times, she was always cheered up or greeted by those who loved her which made her feel happy and grateful for the people she had in her life. I feel like this is the point the female deity might be making? That MM's existence, albeit it sad and hurtful, is a necessary evil and that after the rain is always the rainbow.

As for ep 8, I'll have to wait for the subs so I can better understand what is happening but it seems a lot.

Really, really loving the chemistry between the 2 leads.. you can really feel the depth.

As for the 2nd leads, I have to say that I think this might be the first time for me to watch a drama where the love triangle is between the 2nd leads and nothing to do with the leads. LOL 

Speaking of which, who are you guys rooting for? As for me, I want the Na Ha Jin to end up with the editor. 

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

spacer.pngQueen of Tears, My Lovely Runner, Doctor Slump

12 hours ago, Mouse said:

At the end of the episode, we flashback to the same sad scenes that MM witnessed except this time, we see that despite the sadness and disappointment TDK felt at each of those times, she was always cheered up or greeted by those who loved her which made her feel happy and grateful for the people she had in her life.

Yes, I really love this part.

12 hours ago, Mouse said:

Speaking of which, who are you guys rooting for? As for me, I want the Na Ha Jin to end up with the editor. 

It's hard for me to decide. But based on kdrama logic, since she is now still pining over ex-bf, I think she will end up with editor :laugh:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

Taking a break to say this:

I've watched up to the most recent episode and... I still don't get it. I think I'm getting less of things. Like a number of you have said, I'm prolly just watching it still cos

1. I'm just filling my drama calendar

2. of the OTP

As @40somethingahjummahas said, there is a philosophy behind the story that's not difficult to understand. There is deity that brings doom, and there's another who (wants to) celebrate life. Whether they are the antithesis of each other isn't clear. It does seem as if the female deity precedes Myulmang in time, and she appears to be moving in a cycle of sorts because it would appear Myulmang was at her (last) funeral. The death and destruction Myulmang brings is intended to keep the world in balance. Afterall, he says that every bit of disaster comes from some other joy of sorts. So they are there to keep the equilibrium. That much, I think we all get.

Then there's the matter of what the end game is supposed to look like from TDK's perspective, is that if she ends up loving Myulmang, but chooses not to make the wish for the destruction of the world when the time comes, the person she loves most at that point will die. So the simple logic is that Myulmang dies and along with it death and destruction. But that would also throw the equilibrium of the world off. That much, I think we all get too.

What doesn't seem to add up is everything in between and how they all contribute to the maintenance of the world the writers have created. What's the purpose of those other love lines and character also? They seem to be on a very independent trajectory that does nothing to carry the story. They might as well exist in a different drama. 

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1
  • Clapping Hands 2
20 hours ago, Mouse said:

A part of me thinks that she is doing all of this to make him accept who he is and to appreciate his role in the grand scheme of things. The reason I say this is because he seems to dislike his role but TKD is slowly making him realize that his job (of being doom) does not define who he is. And that despite the pain he causes, it allows humans to better appreciate their blessings.

I chance upon someone on weibo who wrote more or less the same as you wrote above. And I think that could really be what it was all about.

The poster said:

The Deity is testing Myul Mang and Dong Kyung. Why did Myul Mang avoid Dong Kyung? It's because he believes his existence causes all of Dong Kyung's misfortune (confirmed by himself). From the perspective of the law of nature, his job in fact is objective - when there's a beginning there must be an end. However Myul Mang endowed himself/his job a negative meaning and became despair. Dong Kyung doesn't think that way. She likes winter, the night and the end because there's spring, day time and a new beginning.

The Deity stole Dong Kyung so that Myul Mang couldn't find her, possibly to let him see how much he needed and loved Dong Kyung. Because of Dong Kyung, for the first time, he's developed compassion and love.

The Deity also wants Dong Kyung to understand, signing a contract with Myul Mang in the name of love to destroy the world is dangerous. The Deity can't take this risk and if the contract goes awry, the world will really be destroyed and that's unfair to the people. In doing so she also forces Dong Kyung to say it with her own mouth that her misfortune isn't caused by Myul Mang.

Per the fairy tales of Pinocchio, if ones didn't undergo the test then one doesn't qualify to be come an adult.

Original text in Chinese (I've tried my best to translate): @ktcjdrama I've wanted to share this with you when I saw your post last night...

Spoiler

所谓神的考验与试探是为了灭亡和东景。
灭亡为什么要逃避东景?因为他觉得是自己的存在才造成东景的一切不幸。其实从自然法则的角度来说,他的工作是客观的,有开始总要有结束。但灭亡给自己赋予了消极的意义,自暴自弃。

可是东景并不是这么想的啊!她“喜欢冬天,喜欢黑夜,喜欢结束,因为那是春天、白日与新起点的开始。”
神带走东景,让灭亡暂时地找不到她,可能是让他明白自己的“逃避”是多么无效、让他看清自己需要和爱东景的心。因为东景,他第一次产生了“怜悯”,产生了爱。

神想让东景知道,用“爱”来和灭亡签订毁灭世界契约是危险的,她不能用自己手里的爱来冒险(倘若契约出现变故,世界真的灭亡了,对其他人类也不公平。)也让东景亲口说出,她的不幸并非由灭亡造成的话。
借用匹诺曹的童话,没有经历考验的话,“没有资格成为大人。”

I think the pot is somehow linked to Myul Mang. Whatever was planted it wasn't budding because of Myul Mang's state of mind and emotion. His despair somehow affected the equilibrium of the world. With Dong Kyung, he's changing and the Deity was pleased to see the change even though she's worried it may go south.

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Thanks 2
  • Insightful 1

Oh woah, I just got more Oppa in my collection! :wow: Thanks @Tofu @stroppyse

Who's lover of Kang Tae Oh again? @Jane? @abs-oluteM You already know this...

Please be sure to come to Doom At Your Service thread to earn more points to buy Doomed Oppa badges when the event is up (Edit: Oops, it is up now)! @JenL @Mouse @gilaswan @Alice Wonderland @ktcjdrama

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4
  • Heart Eyes 1
2 minutes ago, mademoiselle said:

Oh woah, I just got more Oppa in my collection! :wow: Thanks @Tofu @stroppyse

Who's lover of Kang Tae Oh again? @Jane? @abs-oluteM You already know this...

Our small token of appreciation for your hard work doing up the banner and badges for us. :wow:

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 2

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring