Our Beloved Summer 그 해 우리는 [2021-2022]

FINALE RECAPS...

This drama ended beautifully 

As an adopted child, Woong quietly struggled to become a child suitable for a harmonious family. His mum,  Yeon-ok (Seo Jeong-yeon), who was well aware of Woong's heart, said, "Our Woong, there has never been a moment when you were not my son. Thank you for allowing us to be mother and son. Thank you so much for growing up so well."

e9d8c18f-da39-4774-adfd-a76d7cc93fd5.jpg

Woong said, "I was afraid that I would not be able to resemble my mother and father, that I would not be as good as my mother and father, I didn't want you both to be disappointed."

"Mom and Dad have never been disappointed. I loved everything from the moment I held you in my arms until now,” she replied.

In response to Woong's confession that he wanted to become a better person, mum said, "I want my son to sleep comfortably now."

Meanwhile, Yeonsu is at a crossroads after receiving an offer from Jang Doyul to go to the Paris headquarters.

(slightly yelling in excitement for my oppa's cameo!)

Spoiler

Remembering her grandmother's words

“Live your life doing what you want to do. I'm asking you," 

Yeon-su, who could not make a decision despite her encouragement, and slowly began to look back on her life. As a result, she realized that she was living a 'happy life' with the people around her, not a 'life of enduring' anymore.

In the end, Yeonsu, who gave up on going to Paris, told Woong, “For the first time in my life, my life started to get better. For the first time, I can clearly see the path I have lived. So I want to live like this a little longer. I thought my life was the life I had to live, but maybe this was the life I wanted. So I want to live a little longer like that  now.”

Spoiler

Ung said, “I thought how long it would take. How long will it take for me to become the right person for you? You are a wonderful person beyond my expectations, and I've wasted so much time. Show me what I should do now .” He confessed his dream of studying abroad, and Yeonsu said, “It’s okay, Woong. Just go. We will be  fine' she encouraged.

He asked her to wait for him. They agreed to do long distance ...before he left 

Spoiler

As Yeonsu said, even in a long-distance relationship, the love front between the two did not change. Yeonsu, who was talking on the phone with Woong, responded to his confession of “I love you”, “Do you know how long it took you to say that? Why haven't you done this before? Dummy. I have to look at your face like that,” she burst into tears.

After 2 years...

Woong, who came to Korea without notice and stood behind such her, confessed his shyness repeatedly saying, “Kook Yeon-soo, I love you,” and the two shared their affection with a romantic kiss.

c7ec687f-9f99-4b64-9271-1535a2e9cd49.jpg

Two years later, Woong-eun returned from studying abroad and succeeded as a writer. As he prepares for training and publication events, Woong says, “Tell me the truth. Have you liked me since the first time I saw you? It was from your eyes,” he insisted. Yeonsu replied, "You've been liking me since the first time I saw you, didn't you? Did you follow me on purpose?” she laughed.

What was revealed at this meeting was that Yeonsu was Woong's first love. The figure of Woong, who was reborn as a happy couple after proposing to Yeon-su. The two got married 

YAY HAPPY ENDING

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 3

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

Oh boy I'm not ready for this :pandasadspoon: Last episode

Final Episode 16

Didn't take a lot of notes this time. :pandapopcorn: It was a decent ending I guess, one of the better ones for sure. I think we saw everything we needed to, but I wished everything would have been a bit longer. :laugh: Yeon Su staying in Korea, realizing that she always lived a beautiful life, staying true to the people who put faith in her and stayed by her side, Sol-Yi always being the MVP. Choi studied in France, perfectly mastered the french technique of sipping tea. NJ still trying to shallowly manipulate their relationship. Eon Ho asking Sol-Yi for a date. Ji Ung spending time with his mom and trying to fix the relationship to his mother. Cutter Girl making her move and telling Ji Ung she likes him. The only thing that I really would have loved to see more of, how he felt about this and if they were dating at the end. Choi also confronting his dad and realizing his mother always knew he knew. Beautiful scenes.

And ultimatively, our OTP marrying at the end, while doing another documentary. 

Overall, beautiful last episode. I enjoyed it. 

• Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 4

I'm surprised that I shed quite a lot of tears for the finale episode — for scenes of both Woong with their mothers. I wasn't even that interested in the backstory between Ji Woong and his mother but strangely when the Sunbae told Ji Woong to just film his mother because it's all that she could leave behind FOR him, it had me bad.

Do adopted children always have this kind of fear? Fear that they aren't good enough? It was portrayed like this too for Chae Young Shin in Healer.

I like the voiceover about Woong's thought because it gave me better insights however I think neither the Art Critic nor Kwak Dong Yeon's character's comments can be taken to heart fully because they don't know Woong and his experience, and I thought art is always subjective. Like how Woong's drawings console NJ, everyone could view a piece of art differently. I don't think the way Woong live his life and everything he achieved to these days were worthless. If he were to do nothing at all and live off his parents then that's wrong but he made a living through his drawings, is financially independent and just wanted to live a quiet, ambitiousless and peaceful life—why does it seem futile in others' eyes just because he doesn't have "desire" to succeed or fight? It was just a choice he made at the time and now with things changing around him, his thoughts/feelings change as well and he makes another choice.

The ending between Chae Ran and Ji Woong was expected although it would be nice after the time jump we get to know they got together rather than seeing her finally confessed. This one sided love for the both of them went on a tad too long. Nonetheless it is appropriate in the sense that the show didn't "rush" things to give us happy ending for all possible OTPs, including Sol Yi and Eun Ho's.

For the main OTP, it's a really good and sweet ending. Long distance is always hard and challenging, yet I like that Yeon Su is given the choice to choose what she wants and she chose to stay back. Meanwhile I love the last thing NJ said to Woong and made him realised asking Yeon Su to go to France with him was for his best interest, not Yeon Su's. So I like that they respected each other decision and supported for it.

And eeeek! Lee Joon Hyuk!!! He needs to return with a good drama with that great hair (needs a trim though).

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 2
  • Clapping Hands 2

OH MY GOSH!!!! I JUST LOVED THIS ENDING SO MUCH!!! ❤❤❤💕💕💕💕💕

The epilogue is too good to end just right there, it deserve another season!!! :wow:

I need to calm myself to be able to write properly here, cuz my mind is overhwelmed with so much happiness. 

My short thoughts of the finale

It was begin with so many touching moments that made me tear up. It really hurts so good. I can't help to compare this to other dramas ending, this one comes as the best so far. They put everything completely. It answered every little things and questions this drama ever brought up from the beginning. And they way it delivered is just with right and good proportion, it doesn't go overboard, it comes as sinplest and clear in the same time. That subtle scenes of mom and Woong, YS realized what is the root problem of herself, JW had a proper conversation with his mom, all of these are just really beautifully told. I think in the end they all really being a mature grown-up who face their fears and problems ahead, without avoiding it and directly put things in order to start a new, to get a better version of themselves. 

Kyaaaaaa!! This is so beautiful, the best marriage proposal ever, the sweetest and with cheese excluded 🤭 🥰 it can't be any perfect than this? 1🥰🥰🥰

Spoiler

fec392ff-abec-4c5f-9904-a24278eec632

c1dbac16-f503-4892-8968-c9402f941247

:wow: :heart:

And I think it is really beautiful and admiring to love just one person and end up with that person all your life. Come on SBS, Netflix, writer nim, or whoever in charge go give us second season, like JW said " Yes, we want to see their married life documentary!!" 

845d3181-bb5b-4e99-b087-134d7968e156

Ah, now I feel sad it ended, 😭😭😭😭 I miss them already, I think I will rewatch it from ep 1 again, 😭

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Heart Eyes 4

So I guess we will get a sequel of their married life, right? :smug:  Right? Right?

Lovely ending and cute epilogue. Actually I believe the way they introduced themselves is closer to “Mr & Mrs Choi”... Too bad that cannot be caught in the English translation.

19 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

Wooooooo the full documentary as promised by SBS

I can’t watch 😭 Anyone know where else to find? 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

Oh thank you @mademoiselle btw no CWS thread on janghaven moi, :thinking:

NJ's hair back to black. I love her more with this new hair color. 

Looking back at their BTS, it proves how well they are as actors. They discuss and anaylize every scenes in detail and also giving their opinions to how it should be. They don't just follow the script and the pd direction but they make it more natural. So it's like a healthy discussion between the pd and actors. It's nice to see it. 

Edited by Alice Wonderland
  • Haha 1
  • Heart Eyes 4
22 minutes ago, Alice Wonderland said:

Oh thank you @mademoiselle btw no CWS thread on janghaven moi,

Go ahead and open...if need help can ask @SilverMoonTea ...you can imagine from her oppa accumulation , she opens them with her eyes closed! :laugh:

@ktcjdramaThat docu was originally streaming on SBS channel. Let me see if anyone has saved it on twitter or something. 

• Haha 6

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

4 minutes ago, abs-oluteM said:

Go ahead and open...if need help can ask @SilverMoonTea ...you can imagine from her oppa accumulation , she opens them with her eyes closed! :laugh:

@ktcjdramaThat docu was originally streaming on SBS channel. Let me see if anyone has saved it on twitter or something. 

Uwo wow first time @Alice Wonderland want to open shrine! Serious love ....

• Haha 6

ezgif-com-gif-maker-47.gif

Episode 11

Yep, I'm only up to episode 11 because lazy. These are my random thoughts:

- I fell off the bandwagon and got lazy with watching because of how little movement there was forward in the story for a long time. I like romantic tension in dramas, but I think this drama just felt like the romantic tension was caught in a lot of prickly moments and full of unresolved hurt rather than that curious excitment of a new love about to happen. I'm back since I did see happy spoiler stills everywhere....While I think this drama is visually stunning and so pretty, I'm not sure if I'll be invested in the romance itself that much...there's still enough pull for me to watch, but can't say I love tha main couple dearly or anythiing like that  :idk:

- Haha, I love that cute little unfriendly dog that Choi Ung notices the stationary shop owner has. Also I love those kinds of stationary stores in Asia :laugh:

- It would really really suck if your ex was rumoured to be datiing a mega star - imagine having to hear rumours over and over again :scaredpanda2:

- You know who else I felt sorry for? Chae Ran! She finally got the courage to ask Ji Ung out in the guise of taking him out for Sunbae birthday treat and then they run into the work team :shocked: I have to say I find most of the female characters a little hard to fully relate to in this series except Chae Ran...Yeon Su has such a hard personality that it can feel gratiing to watch as someone who doesn't have this type of personality, her friend Sol Yi and NJ are really oddly kooky so can't relate personally though they're fun to watch...but Chae Ran, I really like with her innocently dry humour and observant nature :heart: Really rooting for her. You know what...this storyline also reminds me of Hometown Cha Cha Cha all over again with the assistant girl liking the second lead guy :popcorn:

- You know I don't mind NJ. Although pursuing Choi Ung, at least she doesn't seem to fight dirty though she's not backing down either? At least so far :idk:

- I like Choi Ung and Ji Ung's relationship though it hurts watching them feel tense over a girl. Damn love triangles. :scaredpanda2:

- This episode finally made some big leaps with the two revealing their true feelings nad Choi Ung confirming he was abandoned. I was really touched when they had that heart to heart and it was basically him begging her to not stop loving him. I feel like they both speak really well with their eyes, especially Choi Woo Shik.But jJuxtaposed with the scene where he reveals he was adaopted, I still feel it was a little harsh that she never told him why they were breaking up (but I assume this wiill be fixed later on) :heiboi:

• Like 3
  • Clapping Hands 3

Currently watching: Doctor Slump // Queen of Tears // The Impossible Heir

Current Obsessions: ❤ Lee Jae wook // Park Hyung Sik // Yoon Park

Podcast: These Dramatic Days

5 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

Lotsa post interview photos for you @Dhakra !

Yaaay! So pretty, I am not ready yet to let her go :pandasadspoon:

Also sad we didn't get a scene between Chae Rin and Ji Woong as a couple, or at least some sort of reaction of him after she confessed to him. 

On 1/25/2022 at 3:41 PM, abs-oluteM said:

Wooooooo the full documentary as promised by SBS

Ahh, can't see it aswell. What a bummer.

5 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

So I guess we will get a sequel of their married life, right? :smug:  Right? Right?

I wish, I really wish. 

• Like 5
6 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

Lovely ending and cute epilogue. Actually I believe the way they introduced themselves is closer to “Mr & Mrs Choi”... Too bad that cannot be caught in the English translation.

The Netflix translation is pretty much right. CW says "Choi Woong" and YS says "Kook Yeon Su", then after their 1-2-3 count, they both say "we're a married couple".

20 minutes ago, Dhakra said:

Also sad we didn't get a scene between Chae Rin and Ji Woong as a couple, or at least some sort of reaction of him after she confessed to him. 

I appreciated that CR tells JW that people have been telling her that she is like him, but she doesn't want to be like him too much. And so, even though JW never got a chance to confess to his crush, she's confessing to him. It's not clear if they will become a couple or not, but it's good that she told him that she liked him.

I guess they could have done it as a time jump to show them already being a couple, but CR deserves more than that. Heck, she deserves an entire drama of her own where JW comes to realize how much he likes and trusts her, and starts to appreciate her as a woman and not just as the most capable assistant PD.

@abs-oluteM, I thought your Oppa was very cute in his cameo. I even liked his longer hair style, as it smacks of his being a maverick who does things his way rather than following the norms.

The ending of this drama was sweet in that both YS and CW come to realizations about themselves and each other. It was nice that CW went from "I can't do this without you by my side" to "I have to do this, but I'll be back, so please wait for me." Just as, YS realizing that she actually has the life she wants to lead, and she was happy for CW to go do what he has to and then come back to her.

• Like 4
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 2
On 1/26/2022 at 6:31 AM, mademoiselle said:

Do adopted children always have this kind of fear? Fear that they aren't good enough? It was portrayed like this too for Chae Young Shin in Healer.

I think the backstory is important too, if the child was abandoned before be it by both or one of & then becomes adopted or a step child, the fear might be in that kind of thinking.

~~

not regretting the cause for me choosing this drama. The concept is really cuteeeeee, the idea for last episode to get their own title "The Year That We (Our Beloved Summer)" is brilliant to me??!!!?? Like, they also secretly flexing to write on our mind they are along with these legendary films title LOL.

So the serious side: the peak of their life pov is on E15-16 which is really great. The emotions are on top. The "3 idiots" in E15 then resolved in E16. One is still trapped in the wall he built for himself to escape, one is suffering even more because his unresolved childhood misery, and the other one is trying to hold on to that crumbling wall that always held her strong. 

Realizing what they want, their lives matter, to act as they need each other. Kind of beautiful.

wrapped beautifully, thank you Our Beloved Summer~

spacer.png

source

• Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 3

G O O D  V I B E S  

♪ click me below for my cw, edits, about 

d r a m a s a f f a i r . c a r r d . c o