Happiness 해피니스 [2021]

Summary recaps / spoilers for Eps 5

On the 19th, tvN's 'Happiness' showed Saebom (Han Hyo-joo) and Yi Hyun (Park Hyung-sik) moving to survive. With the exception of Building 101, all other buildings were shut down, and all telephones and internet were cut off. 

Dangerous but they had to go outside to get food. Saebom and Yi Hyun formed a lunch box commando and went out to find food at the mart where the infected were. After surviving the eerie attacks of the infected, they finally succeeded in procuring food. 

However, Dong representative Oh Yeon-ok (Bae Hae-seon) prevented people who had come into contact with the infected from entering, and Oh Joo-hyeong (Baek Hyun-jin) also played a recording of his wife Min-ji's horrifying shout, further instigating  Oh Yeon-ok.

13351362-693e-41a3-87aa-118dca2bdca9.jpg

While Saebom and Yi Hyun and the lunch box commando were in danger, Seoyoon helped them and Saebom,  Yi Hyun, and the lunch box commando returned safely. Yi Hyun, who went to see Oh Joo-hyung, put blood on his face and said it was the blood of the infected, and Oh Joo-hyung shouted in fear.  (Well done Yi Hyun! ) 

0ba53ad9-3038-401e-b607-6467f7e01c56.jpg

Lee Hyun asked Sae-bom, who had stopped him earlier ,  "I'm sorry, did I over do it ?" Saebom replied, "If it wasn't for you, everyone who went out must have been infected. Great job, Hyun ," she hugged him.

Meanwhile, Han Tae-seok (Cho Woo-jin) and Lee Ji-soo (Park Joo-hee) gave a briefing in front of government officials and announced the severity of madness. Lee Ji-soo said, "If you get bitten, scratched, or if you take NeXT, you can get mad." He said, "Even if we develop a treatment, it cannot penetrate the brain." 

ccfb2d9e-2c2c-41c9-b8c6-ce0b37c04e7f.jpg

However, Han Tae-seok said that he would be able to find an answer within a month as he is currently researching the production of new antibodies with viruses grown in the laboratory. Han Tae-seok showed a graph, saying, "If we give up active cohort isolation, it will all be over within 72 hours, or at least a week," and informed the seriousness of the situation. 

However, this was a lie, and Han Tae-seok said that if he knew that there was no cure, he would have been told to kill all the infected. He said that he had no choice but to take more time. He added that there is only one way to save more people. “People who bite and kill people should be held accountable for what they did,” he said. He said that he had no choice but to endure and wait for the answer, and he drew attention as he opened Yoon Sae-bom's chart. 

Meanwhile, in front of the apartment, people held a rally against the closure and received reports that an infected person had escaped from the apartment. 

Han Tae-seok said, "Let the infected person out." Let the people who are rallying see by sending them outside and pretending we have missed them. You shouldn't feel sorry for the infected. 

We have to make them a being that we have to avoid because we are afraid,” he said. Lee Ji-soo showed a bewildered look when she told to catch it again later after pretending to have missed them. 

Spoiler

aab0eeb9-46a0-4ad5-84d5-2c4ddb2c15c1.jpg

• Like 7

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

Episode 5

Another episode jam-packed with thrills. In my memory I feel quite indifferent when watching zombie films but maybe because this is a drama and it allows more time for me to connect and like the characters, I've grown to care so much about Hyun and Sae Bom. Even more worried when it's revealed Han Tae Seok's team had not been successful in their search for a cure! OMG. Noooo! When they met the infected people who were temporary back to normal; when they ran from the zombies at the supermarket, it was unnerving and worrisome, especially Yi Hyun because he's most likely not going to have the antibodies like Sae Bom! The sound Min Ji made distraught not just the residents, even I was affected until Hyun smashed the phone on the ground.

3cus0HH

source

Spoiler

So Yi Hyun's outbreak was totally understandable. That bastard...!!! That Oh Ju Hyung.... gaaaaaah.... I want to call him so many names but I feel like there's no such names befitting of his despicable behaviour! So want to punch him. Hyun should just throw him out the building and feed him to the zombies! :pandarage: Nonetheless it felt good that Yi Hyun smeared the blood on his face. This actor is so good at being hateful. He should win an award as the best/most annoying villain. Oh, here you go guys @Tofu @stroppyse @abs-oluteM @ktcjdrama ... it's not Jang Tae Jin (Dali & Gamjatang) for me, it's definitely this guy!

This episode also reveals the gym personal trainer is the representive's brother whom she didn't want anyone to know. He continues to be fishy. Also, isn't it strange that unit 1501 never comes down for the meeting? He was briefly mentioned in the preview or this episode but now I can't even remember what it was about.

The other character that I find getting on my nerves is the old man from unit 302. His voice adds to the annoyance as well. All he does is complain. When he complained someone should go and see what's going on outside, I really wanted to say to him (if I was there) that he should go then. 💢 The lawyer and the representative are also competing to be on the top 3 of most annoying characters.

Is there something important in this image we should be aware of?

FEkJ75_aQAA_VlK?format=jpg&name=large

@abs-oluteM Any deleted scenes again? :(

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Clapping Hands 3

Another interesting episode, even if there was only minimal romance. I'm actually not even sure how I feel about episode 5. It all felt very tense for me.

So, first off, I'm sympathetic to TS' decision to let an infected person "escape" so that all the protesters demanding that the locked up infected be released can actually see an infected. TS is lying to his superiors about a cure in an effort to not have to kill the infected, and the well-intended but clueless normal people don't seem to understand how dangerous the infection is. Perhaps I'm sympathetic to TS' decision because I live in a country where hundreds of thousands of people have died from COVID and there are still people insisting that it's all a giant government conspiracy meant to take away their freedom. Yeah, right. We definitely have the freedom to be stupid, even if that means letting others take the consequences of our stupidity.

Second, I was almost cheering when YH smeared blood on the murdering husband/coward, telling him that it was blood from an infected. In my least charitable mode, I think that guy should just be tossed outside and let the infected deal with him, given the way he treated his wife and the way he is treating others now. I guess that wouldn't be humane, but I'm not a saint who is able to always turn the other cheek, especially to weasels to like him. As for his mistress, she also does not deserve anything good. She knows the coward tried to murder his wife, and yet she's holding still and enabling his craven ways on the promise of some money. For so many people in this drama, souls have no intrinsic value compared to their selfish needs and hard cold cash, but so tired of people who get away with things just because they have money or privilege or both.

I'm also tired of that guy who blows off his mother, and is still trying to run his SNS channel by filming. I just feel that he is going to continue to do stupid things for the sake of getting more followers, even if there is no internet connection available. What the heck is he thinking?! Oh yeah, he's not thinking. He's a guy who is unable to support himself, so still lives off his parents while trying to create a career out of having an SNS channel with followers. His future is already grim, whatever happens with the zombies, so I shouldn't bag on him. Besides, actually, when they were stuck outside the building and thought they were about to come under a zombie attack, thanks to the jerk's recordings, at least the SNS guy grabbed a knife and seemed as if he was going to help defend their group. So, not just a total dirtbag like some of the others.

I loved the hug that SB gave to YH when YH was a bit embarrassed by getting carried away and smearing the jerk with blood. Btw, I'm not even sure that it was infected blood? Anyway, her hug and thanks for protecting them all was just the comfort he needed right then.

I also love the connection between SY and SB. I'm not sure what is going on with SY's parents, but SY and SB being there for each other feels like another real connection of humanity.

It seems from the preview for episode 6 that the tension is going to continue to ratchet up. I just hope that they continue to give us the dollops of sweetness and relief from all this tension.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1
  • Clapping Hands 4

Episode 5

• Disconnected from the signal tower, TV not working. They really cut them from the outside world. Remembers me from a US series I watched quite some time ago called "The Dome". 
  • I have to say, the sound engineer does a tremendous job in creating the right sounds and atmosphere. The moment the drama starts and YH is at the entrance, you are dragged into the drama, because it feels so oppressive.
  • Usual comment about how cool and fearless Sae Bom is. Sigh....she just needs to open a door and I am all :pandablush: for her.
  • Gosh it sickens me so much to see 601 with his "girlfriend". It makes me wanna puke. 
  • Does she really try to seduce the lawyer and did he actually check her out? I guess @stroppyse, we know what kind of guy he is now and what his intention were with his "wife".
  • Actually liked that 401 stepped up for her brother. She's a goodie. 
  • Sae Bom threatening 601 to kill him probably wasn't a wise choice though. This could backfire in front of the law, especially since she is the soon-to-be-wife of the investigating detective.
  • Oh...in a week all will be infected......coolcoolcoolcool....:pandascared:
  • "I avoid dangerous places because it's dangerous." Best live advice ever. 
  •  How to scare the crab out of 1201. Lesson 1. Also gym guy is potentially 1201 son? 
  • Cute supermarket girl is safe. HOOOOORAAAAY:pandaxmas::pandahappy: I was really worried about her. 
  • @abs-oluteMDid you see? YH and Sae Bom were holding hands again after locking out the zombies and running away with the cart. :lenny:
  • Even 601 girlsfriend, who seemingly doesn't have a sense for justice and doesn't own any conscience, is sickened by his behavior. But it felt so, so good when YH smeared blood all over his face. This time SB had to stop him. Everyone realizes now he is evil and all are aware there are zombies out there. 

Based on the preview....I would say YH words of threatening someone to kill SB if she dies, is directed at Tae-Seok. He probably enters the building from the garage, stands in front of the door and asks if Sae Bom can come with him, to create a cure. 

She comes with him and YH threatens him, that's also why the glass is between them. 

Gosh, the next episodes will be SO INTERESTING. Fantastic drama. What a gem by the end of the year.

• Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 2
2 hours ago, stroppyse said:

Second, I was almost cheering when YH smeared blood on the murdering husband/coward, telling him that it was blood from an infected. In my least charitable mode, I think that guy should just be tossed outside and let the infected deal with him, given the way he treated his wife and the way he is treating others now. I guess that wouldn't be humane, but I'm not a saint who is able to always turn the other cheek, especially to weasels to like him. As for his mistress, she also does not deserve anything good. She knows the coward tried to murder his wife, and yet she's holding still and enabling his craven ways on the promise of some money. For so many people in this drama, souls have no intrinsic value compared to their selfish needs and hard cold cash, but so tired of people who get away with things just because they have money or privilege or both.

I was on the absolutely same page. When he confronted him, I was ready for YH to smash that jerks face, throw him into the next zombie cluster and enjoy the sight of him screaming. He isn't human, while still being human. 

His mistress sickens me aswell, not only does she ignore the fact that he killed his wife, she let's it slide for her own benefit and lives with him under the same roof. She even acts as his girlfriend again. And if that's not enough, she throws herself at the married lawyer. She is a succubus. A beautiful, but evil tongued demon. She sometimes questions his behavior, but the sight of money lets her ignore everything. 

I also fear it only gets worse, based on the preview a lot of residents try to get benefit out of the situation and the drug.

But I liked how contradict two scenes were in such a small timeframe. SB teased YH for being so honest and sacred, even wanting to pay while being in a zombie apokalypse. Just a few minutes later SB saw YH "dark side", the absolutely not sacred side, smearing blood over YH face, ready to almost kill him. He lost himself for a moment there and Sae Bom saw a different side of him.  

• Like 3
  • Clapping Hands 3
13 hours ago, Dhakra said:

oluteMDid you see? YH and Sae Bom were holding hands again after locking out the zombies and running away with the cart. :lenny:

These two better get together by the end of this & not die . All this teasing & skinship will be wasted . 
My favorite scene in eps 5 . 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

Quick Spoiler Recaps for Episode 6

On this day, Yoon Sae-bom worried about the infected people, saying, "Will everyone be okay." Jung Yi-hyun comforted, saying, "We're the one should not get hurt." In response, Yoon Sae-bom said, "Don't do that again," adding, "Do you touch it knowing what blood it is?"

Oh Joo-hyung (played by Baek Hyun-jin) asked Moon Sang-hee (played by Moon Ye-won) about the medicine taken by Park Min-ji (played by Baek Joo-hee). Oh Joo-hyung, who recalled Jung Yi-hyun's words, hurriedly visited the gym.

Oh Joo-hyung asked Kim Seung-beom (Ju Jong-hyuk), "Did you sell your drug to my wife?" He added, "I want to buy the drug." Kim Seung-beom denied, saying, "I don't know what you are talking about ." Oh Joo-hyung got angry at Kim Seung-beom.

However, Kim Seung-beom, who was stricken with madness, suddenly changed and attacked Oh Joo-hyung. Just then, Jeong Yi-hyun came in and rescued Oh Joo-hyung and said, "Do you know you're lucky. You almost died. Can you see the CCTV? If you go around talking about Kim Seung-beom, I'll spread the image of you attacking me. Then you too will become a madman. " 

At this, Joo-hyung shouted at people, "That bastard tried to kill me using a monster."

Afterwards, Jeong Yi-hyun went to see Kim Seung-beom, who had regained his sanity, and said, "Calm down. You can go back to the way you were. Right now, we're talking about kicking  you out, Kim Seung-beom."

Kim Seung-beom appealed, "I ate only twice. It's good when I'm tired, so it's because I really only ate twice."

When Yi-hyun said, "Do you remember when you got sick? As the number of outbreaks increases, that mentality completely collapses."

Frustrated, Jeong Yi-hyun turned around and said, "Did you enjoy it? It's exciting and thrilling when you're sick?" Jung Yi-hyun asked, "Why did you go outside?" "Do you remember the outbreak?" Kim Seung-beom said, "I remember," adding, "I talked about the drug to the man earlier." Oh Joo-hyung secured Next drug in the car Kim Seung-beom mentioned.

On the other hand, Yoon Sae-bom told Jeong Yi-hyun, "I decided to vote tomorrow. Whether to kick out Kim Seung-beom or not. It's a democratic country, so let's decide by voting."

Jung Yi-hyun said, "There is a good-cop bad-cop strategy. I'm trying to persuade one side by being a bad police officer and the other has to be a good police officer, he said. "I'll be a bad police officer, so you should be a good police officer." Yoon Sae-bom said, "I don't want to," adding, "I'll be the bad cop." 

"You should be nice," he refused. Jung Yihyun said, "I'm afraid you'll get hurt. "Because bad police will get hurt," he said, expressing his affection for Yoon Sae-bom.

Apartment residents held a vote to expel Kim Seung-beom. Yoon Sae-bom defended Kim Seung-beom, saying, "The disease does not spread while covering people," adding, "It is not something to be kicked out without receiving treatment." The vote was tied with nine in favor and nine in opposition. Kim Se-hoon (Han Joon-woo), who appeared late, voted against it. Oh Yeon-ok (Bae Hae-sun) changed her attitude, saying, "That's good."

Kim Seung-beom informed Jung Yi-hyun that Kim Se-hoon had purchased Next drug.  In response, Jung Yi-hyun hurriedly visited Kim Se-hoon. Jung Yi-hyun warned, "Did you take the drug?" and, "If Sae-bom touched it, you will die."

Meanwhile, Han Tae-seok (played by Cho Woo-jin) recalled the past when his wife was infected by the chairman of a pharmaceutical company (played by Lee Ki-young). He asked, "Don't you still understand what I'm doing?" Lee Ji-soo (Park Joo-hee) replied, "No." Han Tae-seok said, "I made a choice. "Which choice will prevent the most damage," he said adding, "The time will come for Lieutenant Lee to choose how far she should put blood on it."

Han Tae Seok said, "CEO, you don't have much time left, right?" A month?" he told the chairman of a pharmaceutical company. The chairman of the pharmaceutical company said, "Isn't your wife similar?" "I was infected at the same time," he replied. The chairman of the pharmaceutical company expressed In response, Lee Ji-soo said, "We need to prevent the electricity from being cut off." Han Tae-seok ordered, "Find out when the electricity is cut off."

image_readtop_2021_1086343_1637419959485

• Like 6

Seems like everyone agree on the favorite scene from ep.5... blood-blood everywhere 😈

Another fave scene of mine was when SB opened the main door and allowed anyone to go out if they want to. In my mind I was already shouting to Hyun, just open the door and let them out. And sure enough, our girl came and let the door be opened wide for anyone 😎 and of course those people were just loud but cowards. 

It’s funny how Hyun still think about paying for the supermarket stuff, and minding not to break any law. While SB just marveled at him for his integrity 😆

Okay, starting ep.6, I am not watching from iQIYI anymore. Going to the dark side for a complete editing. 

Edited by ktcjdrama
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Clapping Hands 1

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

That's it. I'm tired of all these cowardly people who basically use money to get other people to risk their lives on their behalf. I'm also tired of the people who agree to be used. You can't spend money if you're dead.

Top of my hit list is the lawyer. Wow, what a creep. My suspicions that he married her so that he could have a secretary for free was right on. He scolded his wife for having her own opinions and not supporting him as she should, basically telling her that she's worked for him so long and she still can't get it right. The wife stood up for herself saying that the vote over the gym guy was not about work, but rather about their own thoughts. To which, the lawyer jerk had the nerve to respond "This is why I shouldn't have married a gold digger." And, yes, she probably did marry him at least partially because he was a lawyer and they could have a good life together, but at least she took care of him as a wife and as a secretary. Unlike the scummy lawyer who totally belittles his wife, even under normal circumstances.

Second though is the camera-happy son. Totally tired of him! His stupid camera when he has no internet connection is more important than not being infected, but he's too scared to do it, so he pays the supermarket girl to go get it. And, she is tempted enough by the money he offers to do it. sigh Anyway, this guy has no saving graces after all, and I hope he becomes a zombie so that he can give the "insider" perspective on it.

Well, except the residents seem to be becoming zombies all on their own anyway, whether through bad intentions or even good intentions, though it's hard to tell which it is sometimes. The woman who wants to be the building representative giving her brother water seemed to be caring of him and his thirst despite warnings about not giving water because it's a symptom of going zomibe, in the preview, it seems that she's trying to find a way to use it for her own advantage.

I see that SB and YH are still trying to keep in mind that the zombies are still people, despite their dangers, which is commendable. However, I wonder if everyone is underestimating how dangerous this infection is, even after people have died? Otherwise, would they be so willing to risk their lives and the lives of others? Then again, that's probably a naive POV given that the CEO released the drug NEXT to the streets to enable a lot more people to become zombies, thus putting pressure on R&D to come up with a cure.

Arrgghh. Basically, I hate just about everyone in this drama other than SB, YH, SY, and YH's police partner. Okay, well, the writer sister may not be terrible either, though her brother is a nightmare even before he was bitten by a zombie. The siblings back story made me dislike the brother a LOT more. Because he was the son, their parents paid for his college tuition and also paid for a fancy wedding when he got married. However, she managed to get a single scholarship, but otherwise had to fund her education herself, then managed to make a living as a writer. He basically seems to have failed at everything, including that marriage, and was now leeching off his little sister. Ick.

This drama is good in that it continually ratchets up the tension, but I wouldn't mind more minutes of sweetness! And, I'm having to backtrack to watch the deleted scenes, because those seem to be the quiet moments where SB and YH's feelings for each other are really developing. Thanks @abs-oluteMfor posting those.

I appreciate YH and SB's support and concern for each other. They may not be a "couple" as yet, but it's clear that they trust and like each other. However, I'm also okay with not having an overt romantic entanglement since they're a bit busy fighting the infected and trying to protect people who won't protect themselves.

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1
  • Clapping Hands 3

Episode 6

• Oh boy, so now we know when and how the CEO bit TS wife. That was really sad and hard to watch. No wonder TS is so dedicated to find a cure. He is also the one who created "Next". 
    Based on the look of his wife, she also seemed to have transformed already a couple of times. Her skin is stretched. I wonder what it did to the child. 
  • 1201 apartment, although they act like they are really rich and look down on other people, their apartment looks kinda empty and "normal". It actually looks like they don't own that much.
    But she also has the fakest smile ever. You can clearly see on her face if a smile is not genuine.
  •  OH SHIT! Gym guy really transformed! I didn't expect that one. But it was kinda nice to see who his first, almost victim was. But daaamn, I was at a point where I really thought gym guy was clean.
  • I have never seen something more satisfying than Sae Bom kicking 601. Gosh, I want a 10-hour loop of it. 
  • Sang Hee (601 girl) is so evil. So spoiled. Constantly forcing skinship with the lawyer and acting against his wife. She is such a gold digger. 
  • Since SB shows up in the preview in the next episode, it looks like she is fine. YH gaze and words were so powerful though, he literally will kill everyone who gets too close or harms Sae Bom. 

But TS "sacrifices" SB to get a cure in the preview? He wants her to get bitten? Why? To see how she is able to resist and turn it into a cure? 

These will be long 6 days of waiting for ep7

4 hours ago, stroppyse said:

Top of my hit list is the lawyer. Wow, what a creep. My suspicions that he married her so that he could have a secretary for free was right on. He scolded his wife for having her own opinions and not supporting him as she should, basically telling her that she's worked for him so long and she still can't get it right. The wife stood up for herself saying that the vote over the gym guy was not about work, but rather about their own thoughts. To which, the lawyer jerk had the nerve to respond "This is why I shouldn't have married a gold digger." And, yes, she probably did marry him at least partially because he was a lawyer and they could have a good life together, but at least she took care of him as a wife and as a secretary. Unlike the scummy lawyer who totally belittles his wife, even under normal circumstances.

What bothers me the most about this is that she really is a loving, caring, beautiful and dedicated wife and he really treats her like dirt. For him she is his personal employee, that has to do whatever he says. He is all on himself, even enjoying the gold digging of 601 girl, and doesn't see that he has a real gem next to him. 

Calling her uneducated was so, so.....evil and rude. For that alone I would throw him under the bus.

He annoys me as much as you. He hardens my view on korean lawyers in dramas. All he cares about is himself and his business. 

4 hours ago, stroppyse said:

Second though is the camera-happy son. Totally tired of him! His stupid camera when he has no internet connection is more important than not being infected, but he's too scared to do it, so he pays the supermarket girl to go get it. And, she is tempted enough by the money he offers to do it.

I swear, if that jerk kills of my cutey supermarket girl. I'm gonna kill him myself. He is completely obsessed with his little channel. He think 1000 subscribers are the world. Why would she put herself in such danger. 

Edited by Dhakra
  • Like 4
  • Clapping Hands 3
28 minutes ago, Dhakra said:

But TS "sacrifices" SB to get a cure in the preview? He wants her to get bitten? Why? To see how she is able to resist and turn it into a cure? 

I was just about to ask about this . Looks like they are trying to get an answer via Sae Bom

And I think we will get to see this scene ( it’s from trailers released before ) 

@stroppyse there are truly a lot of awful people in this show. Pandemics , disasters etc tends to either bring out the best or the worst in people. 

• Like 6

44 minutes ago, abs-oluteM said:

was just about to ask about this . Looks like they are trying to get an answer via Sae Bom

So far, Sae Bom seems to be the only one who was bitten/scratched, but did not become a zombie, so I can imagine that they want to study her more and see if they can figure out what about her makes her resistant.

Though, I can imagine that SB would volunteer to be in the experiment, for the sake of finding a cure. She's just that kind of person.

46 minutes ago, abs-oluteM said:

And I think we will get to see this scene ( it’s from trailers released before ) 

Wow! Nice move. I don't remember this scene, but then again, I don't think I watched any trailers for this drama. I just started watching. Thanks @Dhakra! Seriously.

1 hour ago, Dhakra said:

I swear, if that jerk kills of my cutey supermarket girl. I'm gonna kill him myself. He is completely obsessed with his little channel. He think 1000 subscribers are the world. Why would she put herself in such danger. 

Well, he's a self-centered dirtbag who probably thinks he's too good to actually hold down any real job that he can get. So, his "job" is trying to get subscribers and thus generate some ad revenue from his channel, I assume. And, you're welcome to off him if he does cause the supermarket girl to become a zombie. Though, I don't think she's going to trust him again.

As for why she agreed to it in the first place, it's because she needs money. She's been working part-time jobs which does not pay much at all and he offered her money that she probably needs. And though she's scared of the infected, she's clearly not scared enough.

1 hour ago, Dhakra said:

What bothers me the most about this is that she really is a loving, caring, beautiful and dedicated wife and he really treats her like dirt. For him she is his personal employee, that has to do whatever he says. He is all on himself, even enjoying the gold digging of 601 girl, and doesn't see that he has a real gem next to him. 

Calling her uneducated was so, so.....evil and rude. For that alone I would throw him under the bus.

Yes, serious dirtbag lawyer. I don't think it's just kdrama lawyers. Unfortunately, there are these types everywhere, including in RL.

• Like 6
3 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

So far, Sae Bom seems to be the only one who was bitten/scratched, but did not become a zombie, so I can imagine that they want to study her more and see if they can figure out what about her makes her resistant.

Though, I can imagine that SB would volunteer to be in the experiment, for the sake of finding a cure. She's just that kind of person.

I personally though TS should have kept SB from the beginning and researched on her antibodies. Yes he did offer her to not be locked in but she chose to do so. The other person could be the 302 old lady who got scratched. It seems that she hasn’t developed any symptoms as well except for being tired. But that could be just old age? 

Whyyyy that basement zombie wasn’t there when 601 went to the Gym car to find the medicine?? 

@Dhakra I was about to comment the same about 1201 house. Only appearances. Their house is not even half as proper as YH-SB’s house. 

Wow, 1501 has his mask down. Wonder what SB is doing when he said she is busy. Probably fixing a certain survival gear he has? I’d like to think he is a good guy and not another problematic resident. The fact that he actually bother to come down and cast his vote shows that he does care? 

Argh... episode 6 ends like that and now we have to wait a week before finding out what happened. 

• Like 4
  • Clapping Hands 2

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

SB is a cool character. Every time someone makes an outrageous suggestion, she doesn't stop him but instead "opens the door but warns you may not get back in", so to speak. It's easy to talk but no one really wants do it. It's a good method. I shall bear in mind for RL lol.

The pills - Why did 1501 buy it? Why did 601 go and get them from the gym car too?

601 mistress - She searched the kitchen but did not take the money. What is she looking for?

6 hours ago, Dhakra said:

Hmmm, I'm not sure SB is bitten. She is holding a scissors and the blood is splattered on the front of her face. Looks like she stabbed the zombie and the blood is from it.

• Like 4

This is quite a nice article (but written after ep4), especially the part about TS. However, we should bear in mind that when the first case of biting surfaced, he told his subordinate to hide it and pay the victim off. It was only after his wife was infected that his perspective changed.

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

5 Lessons From Episodes 3-4 Of “Happiness” That Had Us Thinking About Humanity

Nov 19, 2021 by shalini

The weekend just got a lot more eerie with “Happiness” on the scene. Having a drama about a rampaging killer virus seemed slightly overkill given that the world has just barely begun to recover from one, but what sets “Happiness” off from contemporary news events (other than the vampirism/zombie bit) is its lack of focus on the virus itself. Humanity is positioned front and center as the Next pill starts to trigger a familiar reaction along class divides across the Seyang Forest Le Ciel Apartments, and our leads start to question just what it means to be human and humane.

Here are five lessons from this week’s episodes that had us ruminating on humanity.

Warning: spoilers for episodes 3-4 below.

1. Leave no one behind

Spoiler

We start off with a crisis as Yoon Sae Bom (Han Hyo Joo) races off to rescue Lee Seung Yong (Lee Kyu Hyung) from the storage truck stuffed with severe infectees. Despite witnessing her longtime friend succumb to the virus’s symptoms, Sae Bom wades into the fray and attempts to pull him out of the truck. But the other hungry infectees rally around her, eager for blood. It’s frankly a wonder that she isn’t eaten. Still, as she’s clawed back inside the truck, the soldiers around her give up and seal her inside the truck with at least 30 people ready to kill her.

There’s a heart-stopping moment where it seems that all is lost for Sae Bom when the truck doors screech open and a grim-faced Jung Yi Hyun (Park Hyung Sik) pulls Sae Bom and Seung Yong out.

b9df7586717b6690573860df8f81ef4ceb968e1e

7e51ea820bfd3a60383be81717201ce78dfdaaa8

Crisis averted, Sae Bom only has one thing to say to Lee Ji Soo (Park Joo Hee): that she’s disappointed. It’s hard not to see why. During Sae Bom’s brief period of quarantine and testing, she grew to genuinely like the female lieutenant, even bringing her some of the rice cake Kim Jung Kook (Lee Joon Hyuk) gifted them (which Han Tae Seok (Jo Woo Jin) definitely didn’t get). Ji Soo explains that five of her fellow soldiers tried stunts as Sae Bom did, only they didn’t live to tell the tale. What else was she supposed to do?

It’s an understandable position but also speaks to the sort of moral dichotomy the show advances between people like Yi Hyun and Sae Bom and people like Han Tae Seok and Ji Soo. When does practicality and focusing on the greater good result turn into a lack of humanity? When does being humane and caring and not wanting to leave a friend behind cross the line into naivete and stupidity? Sae Bom and Yi Hyun think they’re on the right side when they respectively berate Ji Soo and Tae Seok, but they’ll soon be undergoing a serious reevaluation.

(How cute is Yi Hyun’s concern though?)

2. People are the worst: a tale of two doctors and one receptionist

Spoiler

The tenants of apartment 601 have always been a little suspicious, not in the least because they keep making a racket at unholy hours, but Yi Hyun starts to suspect foul play when he notes the blood on Oh Joo Hyeong’s (Baek Hyun Jin) sleeve. His wife thinks along the same lines, because when the banging pushes her past the point of exasperation, she heads upstairs determined to get to the bottom of this and quickly finds that Joo Hyeong’s wife Park Min Ji (Baek Joo Hee) has been infected. And that Joo Hyeong is a garbage can.

He pushes her into the bathroom with his murderous wife, forcing Sae Bom to lock herself in the shower. But Min Ji isn’t at all interested in her, as her focus is rather entirely on her definitely adulterous husband. So when Sae Bom takes a risk and unlocks the shower door long enough to give Min Ji a clear path to her husband, she is more than happy to chase after him. Yi Hyun joins that queue himself after finding out that Joo Hyeong almost killed Sae Bom.

82e572a3a8bc9b31896f10da8d07a81ef44a45a4

b199a5c71a09ec1b160a3e5215069860c442cc56

2c186d82ec7856c8148453784cc9fa10837e4d63

Min Ji is rapidly subdued and carted off by Tae Seok and Ji Soo. However, the full picture starts to emerge, and it gets really ugly, really fast. Turns out that not only was Joo Hyeong cheating on Min Ji but that he almost killed her. He beat her, nearly to death with a gold club, scrambling her brain. However, Min Ji was on the Next pill and transformed before he could finish the job. The virus was all that was keeping her alive when she should have died of brain damage and blood loss. It’s a horrific picture, and Yi Hyun is almost apoplectic when he arrests Joo Hyeong, but his mistress Woo Sang Hee’s (Moon Ye Won) shifty behavior indicates that Joo Hyeong might not be the only culprit. All in all, it paints an awful picture of humanity and greed where the virus actually does some good because there would have been no justice without it.

3. But people can be more than what they seem

Spoiler

Ji Sung Sil (Lee Joo Shil), the elderly lady in apartment 302, seems at first like the classic 60s wife. Her husband Kim Hak Je (Hong Soon Chang) grumbles at her to make dinner, and her brainless son treats her like garbage while trying to make a living as a streamer by providing terrible financial advice and exploiting other people’s misery. Sung Sil asks for a hamburger only for Hak Je to shoot her down immediately telling her to have rice and not bread. It’s easy to feel sorry for her as she tries to get a word in with her husband and her son. But all is not what it seems. Not her son (who truly is disgusting), but Hak Je makes an effort to head to a burger place and figure out how to operate a self-serve machine. He fails and returns with more of a sandwich than a burger, acting all grumpy when Sung Sil points it out. But contrary to how he appears, he truly seems to love his wife, even if he is crochety at times. When the building is locked down as he returns, he insists on returning to his wife, despite it meaning that he’ll be locked in.

It’s a nuanced take on characters that could seem one-note, and this show deserves praise for taking the time to build its supporting characters instead of using them as a vehicle for the main characters’ romance or personal growth.

4. Anything goes in times of vampirism

Spoiler
743dd033c0c81b77b260fd1c0fa3a0f63c1f715b

c6bb1b79edd38f37f841941a171169ed80f87b45

“Happiness” for all its intense subject material is all about the small moments. One such understated conversation is when Sae Bom goes on a grocery spree after a nationwide emergency is declared on account of the virus. She’s surprised to see that no one else is frantically hoarding groceries, but Lee Bo Ram (Han Da Sol), the cashier, sighs that emergency texts are a dime a dozen these days. For a seemingly throwaway line, it indicates much of how numb people are after back-to-back viruses. Death is a looming specter every day to the point that they’ve gotten used to coexisting with it. A national emergency is no longer a cause for panic but merely another day. It isn’t until they visibly see just how bad that death could be that the residents start to panic buy.

At this point, all laws and ethics (and rationality) fly out of the window. Sae Bom and Yi Hyun suddenly become the enforcers of Building 101 as the other buildings vote to shut them out of their meetings because their building had the first known case with Min Ji. Casual existence suddenly turns apocalyptic the second an entire building is locked down for seven days with a potential unknown terror within. Sae Bom and Yi Hyun’s ideas of humane behavior and morality evaporate in the face of a single immediate goal: survival.

0ef55db76fd9b3eb180634348cb9eed156ef28de

f88aac384ce9ae0288c790054567e8c0b0fa961b

b43c4167c83c3b388fc96dc90ebc82bed48c6cfa

They lock the gym trainer in this office without water because he was most recently in contact with a confirmed case and then forget about him until the next afternoon. Yi Hyun handcuffs Joo Hyeong to his nightstand with a wine bottle for a bathroom for half a day (though granted, he deserves it). Sae Bom pulls a gun to shoot down the door if the residents of the other buildings lock them in their building (which would have been a terrible idea because without that door anyone can get into Building 101 as we find at the end). These events solidify one key point: there isn’t much of a moral high ground in times of crisis.

5. There’s a slim moral high ground

Spoiler

Jo Woo Jin is killing it as Han Tae Seok, all curt, capable, and unflappable. It’s surprising then that Sae Bom, who Seung Yong noted as being the fastest to anticipate a situation and react to it, hates his guts, as does Yi Hyun (who worships the ground Sae Bom walks upon). Much of that dislike has to do with Tae Seok’s single-minded manner of thinking. He’s all about the greater good. If someone’s useful, like Sae Bom, he keeps them around and makes exceptions for them. If an infectee shows severe symptoms, he gives up on them to the point where he no longer considers them human. It’s understandable. There seems to be no hope for the people in that storage truck, and as he tells Sae Bom when she argues that he’s inhumane, what else is he supposed to do? Give them all a human to drink? He has no guarantee that these people will ever return to normal. Yi Hyun asks how he’d feel if it was his family, and that hits a little close to home, because that’s exactly what’s happened and why Tae Seok will stop at nothing.

Tae Seok’s goals are simple: protect as many people as he can, find a cure for the disease that’s killing his wife, and destroy the man who bit her Chairman Choi Seok Ju (Lee Ki Young). Anything and anyone extraneous to that is unnecessary. Sae Bom looks upon with him with distaste as he locks down the entire apartment complex to stop the spread. But though she doesn’t realize it, she no longer has the right to a moral high ground given what she and Yi Hyun have been up to. Tae Seok couldn’t have made exceptions for everyone because people would have lied about their symptoms and then gone ballistic in public. He tried to protect the school children as best he could and knew that Seo Yoon (Song Ji Woo) would have a quasi-family while her parents were tested. Sae Bom and Yi Hyun can dislike his methods all he wants, but there’s no denying that he was right. They find this out the hard way when people from the other buildings start manifesting symptoms and running rampant. They cling together for comfort but also out of fear because things have officially spiraled out of control. From here on out, it’s a free-for-all.

park-hyung-sik-han-hyo-joo2.gif

park-hyung-sik-han-hyo-joo3.gif

Next week’s preview shows things getting more and more intense. At only 12 episodes, this drama appears to have shaved off much of the bloat that can clog a longer drama. We have a fake-ish marriage that’s hopefully going to turn real, a found family situation going on with Seo Yoon, a boxed-in group of people who don’t know whom to trust, and numerous shady characters like Andrew (Lee Joo Seung), Joo Hyeong, and Sang Hee running amok. But the show remembers to give us small moments of happiness that anyone can find relatable.

Meals with family

A tender moment

song-ji-woo-han-hyo-joo.gif

song-ji-woo-han-hyo-joo2.gif

song-ji-woo-han-hyo-joo3.gif

silvertons

And our not-so-fake spouses being each other’s biggest fans. Aw, Sae Bom’s like, “Right? Isn’t he handsome?” Adorable. Friday can’t come fast enough!

Edited by Chocolate
  • Like 4