Happiness 해피니스 [2021]

8 hours ago, Dhakra said:
  • You know this drama is fiction because Seo Yoon has 59% battery power left on her phone after three days of lockdown without electricity. No modern smartphone is able to do that.

Haha, my cheap $200 Samsung can last a week without charging. They have no internet and no one to call, so it's quite possible lol.

6 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

Last week I thought the show might lose its appeal/thrills/tension if the drama kept focusing on these annoying residents. I worry whether there were more to offer from a story-telling point of view once the zombies attack and infect others. However I realise from this week's episodes there are still so much to explore on the characters and human nature. It's so interesting.

4 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

On the contrary, Sae Bom and Yi Hyun are the representative of the good side of the humans. Can they continue to be this good?

Sadly, I'm the opposite. I'm getting tired of everybody including SB and YH. They seem to be so nonchalant about the risks (they walk around without any weapons, not even a bat) and really, what are they trying to accomplish? Are they really helping anyone? Jung Guk was spot on when he told YH off. He has a sick wife to get back to - YH shouldn't ask JG to take the risks that he is willing to take.

DYX19Fr.png

QkQIZqg.png

And that bag of "weapons". When YH asked TS for weapons to protect SB, I thought, hey that's a smart thing to do. But that bag had a walkie talkie and a few hand grenades and the rest are snacks! You should get some guns and real food!

A few revelations in this weekend's episodes. People that I formerly disliked are turning out to be better people than expected:

• The brother of 401 who was bitten, he was not that selfish afterall. He chose to stay outside so that he will not harm other people. He also showed his love for his family and his sister, and I think this helps him to control himself from turning sooner.
  • For all the complaints and ill-treatment of his wife, the man from 302 surprisingly tried to protect her. He also sent the supermarket girl away so she will not get infected. But his son, what an a**h*** to out his mother like that!

However, the 2 cleaners from 201 deserved to be smacked. It's horrible that having been looked down on by the richer residents, they did the same to the cleaning lady. Kudos to the cleaning lady for having a back bone and choosing to leave the apartment rather than suffering the indignity.

Spoiler

mWQXXwB.png

M1YWaDK.png

iOaVjDm.png

And this "reverend". Obviously he doesn't have spiritual powers, since these people are infected and not demon possessed. But they really backed away from him. Why? Does he emit some smell or has something about his body that repels the infected? He could be another source for a cure.

mZLzvuG.png

Edited by Chocolate
  • Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 3
9 minutes ago, Chocolate said:

Sadly, I'm the opposite. I'm getting tired of everybody including SB and YH. They seem to be so nonchalant about the risks (they walk around without any weapons, not even a bat) and really, what are they trying to accomplish? Are they really helping anyone? Jung Guk was spot on when he told YH off. He has a sick wife to get back to - YH shouldn't ask JG to take the risks that he is willing to take.

I thought they do walk around with weapons? I do remember Sae Bom walking around without it in some scenes and in others she asked for Jung Guk's gun and took her scissor with her.

As for Jung Guk, has he told Yi Hyun about his wife being sick in that scene or before? I can't remember. My personal interpretation would be Hyun asked him because they are both police and they have sworn to protect the citizens before officially started their job. After Jung Guk tells Hyun his wife is sick, that is when Hyun backs off.

19 minutes ago, Chocolate said:

And that bag of "weapons". When YH asked TS for weapons to protect SB, I thought, hey that's a smart thing to do. But that bag had a walkie talkie and a few hand grenades and the rest are snacks! You should get some guns and real food!

Tell me about it! I was expecting some awesome gadgets, guns and knives! But he did say Han Tae Seok wouldn't give him guns. He did have two bags, maybe the other one has more weapons (although my expectation is now super low). LOL.

21 minutes ago, Chocolate said:

A few revelations in this weekend's episodes. People that I formally disliked are turning out to be a better people than expected:

• The brother of 401 who was bitten, he was not that selfish afterall. He chose to stay outside so that he will not harm other people. He also showed his love for his family and his sister, and I think this helps him to control himself from turning sooner.
  • For all the complaints and ill-treatment of his wife, the man from 302 surprisingly tried to protect her. He also sent the supermarket girl away so she will not get infected. But his son, what an a**h*** to out his mother like that!

However, the 2 cleaners from 201 deserved to be smacked. It's horrible that having been looked down on by the richer residents, they did the same to the cleaning lady. Kudos to the cleaning lady for having a back bone and choosing to leave the apartment rather than suffering the indignity.

This is where I find the twists in characterisation intriguing in terms of narration. The show continues to explore these characters and show us their multifaceted sides/nature. For the longest time the residents from 601, 602 and 1201 treated others like trash and look down on them, it was satisfying seeing the cleaners's empowerment because they have food storage. I agree they shouldn't mistreat the cleaning ahjumma though at that moment, it also appears like they were taking out their anger and frustration on her.

- - - - -

You know, when we have lockdown here, it never cross my mind to stock up on bottled water. I never thought water supply would stop or be an issue. 😓😅 Now Happiness is making me think twice. What about you guys?

• Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 2
8 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

The last two scenes were especially impactful. I'm loving the characterisation of Han Tae Seok. A smart character who walks the grey area. He's ruthless for feeding a healthy person to the zombies but I can't resent him when he's all teary eyes with his wife!

This! I was like this man is scary, but then I cannot hate him either. He is definitely in a difficult situation. And yes, the antihero here. Not sure what’s going to happen going forward. 

I too agree about the unexpected turn of some characters that we thought were annoying at first. The brother of writer. I really really hope he won’t turn, but looks like from the preview 1201 husband is going to hurt him with the golf club? It was really commendable of him not wanting to get near other people for fear that he would bite them. Then the 301 father. He loves his wife and defends her. I wonder if she really turned already? 

There are a few things that don’t make sense to me, not that it affect my viewing, but I just need to let it out of my system. The basement guy, why did YH and SB let him go out of the building instead of confining him so he doesn’t go around biting people?? The writer’s brother, isolation means no one gets to him too. Why handcuffed him to a public area where it is accessible to anyone, who can give him water, who can hurt him. They should’ve just let him stay inside the room of that empty unit. I know there will be people who are against the idea, but this is emergency state, so make shift an area for isolation. I also don’t get the argument of the cleaners couple that being on 2nd floor, they are closer to the entrance and wanted to move up the floors. Duh, if you don’t open the door to your unit and/or go out, you’re as safe anywhere. They need to be told that the infected could come in from the rooftop too...

1 hour ago, mademoiselle said:

You know, when we have lockdown here, it never cross my mind to stock up on bottled water. I never thought water supply would stop or be an issue.

Water is definitely very important. I would stock up on this instead of fighting over toilet paper rolls 😆

Edited by ktcjdrama
  • Like 2
  • Insightful 1
  • Haha 2
  • Clapping Hands 1

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

7 hours ago, Chocolate said:

Haha, my cheap $200 Samsung can last a week without charging. They have no internet and no one to call, so it's quite possible lol.

Seems like I do use my phone too often or I am just unlucky. My phone doesn't last more than two days without charging. 

7 hours ago, Chocolate said:

Omg for real, I was so disappointed. When they talked weapons and they brought so many bags back in, I thought YH is now a running one man army with rifles, grenades and everything. I was certain he is armed to the teeth now, but no, they just gave him a walkie-talkie and grenades. I know they said flashbangs are good against them, but if a bunch of them attack SB, what's he supposed to do? Throw them like a pokeball at them like they are bunch of wild pokemon? 

TS also felt like he agreed to YH's task to protect SB, so I imagined he would hand him out at least a rifle. But maybe he doesn't gave it to him because he still has plans with SB and fears arming YH would backfire on him and threaten his own life at one point.  

3 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

He even had angry tears.

Okay, based on this screenshot his eyes are so red, he looks like an infected. :laugh: He turns into a parttime zombie for SB. :pandablush:

• Like 2
  • Haha 5
On 11/28/2021 at 2:08 AM, ktcjdrama said:

Water is definitely very important. I would stock up on this instead of fighting over toilet paper rolls 😆

What?!? I can't have both? When we stock up, we grab both bottled water and toilet paper.

A random thought that struck me. If the whole world is falling to the zombie disease as TS tells SB, then what is the purpose of quarantining just that apartment complex? I mean, there is no point in blocking off that one complex if there are zombies running around elsewhere as well. And, I highly doubt that they have the resources to block off even all the apartments that we saw lose their electricity. So, telling the residents to defend themselves is one thing, but having the barricades still is a bit weird. Though, I guess I don't know whether the barricades are still manned.

Have I mentioned how much I love YH and SB's every interaction? They are settling into the rhythm of being a happily married couple, even if they haven't told each other they love each other yet. Though, I feel as if they've both given indications that they care about each other already.

I thought it was sweet how when SB asked YH what he had relied on during his dark days, and he responded "You. Sae Bom" going on to explain that he had been feeling really low, but the interaction with SB as well as falling from the building caused him to think whether that was really going to be it as far as his life goes.

I also loved the reveal with the pills. Prior to that, I was really getting worried that the murdering scum was going to be responsible for more zombies out of his spite and trying to maneuver YJ and SB to become infected.

• Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 2
23 hours ago, stroppyse said:

A random thought that struck me. If the whole world is falling to the zombie disease as TS tells SB, then what is the purpose of quarantining just that apartment complex?

I thought they were quarantining the high cluster areas...?

On 11/28/2021 at 7:08 PM, Chocolate said:

Sadly, I'm the opposite. I'm getting tired of everybody including SB and YH. They seem to be so nonchalant about the risks (they walk around without any weapons, not even a bat) and really, what are they trying to accomplish?

I just d/l episode 8 and you were right, they were walking around without weapons first half of this episode. I'm wondering whether it's because Han Tae Seok et al. came so they think they can relax a bit since all the zombies were locked out for the moment. Even 1501 who was being super careful went to the roof top with just buckets and no weapon.

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 3
  • Insightful 2
On 11/28/2021 at 9:44 AM, mademoiselle said:

You know, when we have lockdown here, it never cross my mind to stock up on bottled water.

On 11/28/2021 at 11:08 AM, ktcjdrama said:

Last year before the first lockdown grocery stores here actually ran out of toilet paper and people were running around try to find stores who had some left. At one point they were guarded next to the cashier, because people would actually fight over them. I remember myself heading out each day to get some.

So water was never an issue here, but toilet paper. :laugh:

5 hours ago, stroppyse said:

A random thought that struck me. If the whole world is falling to the zombie disease as TS tells SB, then what is the purpose of quarantining just that apartment complex? I mean, there is no point in blocking off that one complex if there are zombies running around elsewhere as well.

I think another reason is to "guard" SB, if she is locked up in the complex with YH, TS doesn't need to worry about his only hope for a cure. 

• Haha 6
10 minutes ago, Dhakra said:

So water was never an issue here, but toilet paper.

Not just your side, but in the US and many other countries too... Well, my thought is that water been around since forever and people need that to survive. You can't extend your survival rate with toilet paper, which was invented by men for conveniences. When there's no more toilet paper, other things can substitute it to do the job as well ~ water, rags, even leaves (if we go waaaay back into history of mankind) :laugh: Anyway, remember to stock up on water, people, instead of toilet paper... Best will be to have them both available, of course :smile:

I would've have stock up on (non-drinking) water even before the announcement that there will be power outage. And always keep devices charged up. During emergency state, you never know what will happen next. Heck, I would even pack up my important stuff in a backpack already, ready to evacuate if required/instructed. In this drama, the government was kind enough to announce their plan of cutting the electricity. In RL, doubt things will be so proper. 

• Like 6

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

4 hours ago, Dhakra said:

I think another reason is to "guard" SB, if she is locked up in the complex with YH, TS doesn't need to worry about his only hope for a cure. 

Yes, but they're "guarding" SB with a bunch of infected people running around inside the complex.

9 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

I thought they were quarantining the high cluster areas...?

Yes, but in that scene as they were shutting off the electricity in the infected areas, the whole city was going dark. And they keep mentioning in the drama that the infection had spread all over the world. Wonder how they're keeping the military guards from not getting bitten.

Btw, I was very happy to Seung Heon again. Plus, they mention the additional symptom of eating "bloody" red meat. Only thing is that the red in raw meat isn't actually from blood, though that may be splitting hairs in terms of dramas. Anyway, I really hope that Seung Heon gets to go home to his safe, intact family rather than a weird twist where he has to be a sacrificial death.

The whole stockpiling/hoarding thing, I have no words. I believe in having a good enough supply in case of emergencies, but for awhile there, it felt as if people expected things to descend into absolute anarchy or something.

• Like 5

What occured to me today was the importance of Ji Soo. I think @stroppysementioned somewhere that she doesn't trust TS words when it comes down to family member. He always mentions they are fine, but sometime later we find out, they are not. 

But when Ji Soo talked to SB during the blood test, she was the one who told SB that her mother is fine. Ji Soo was always very honest and nice, she never took anything personal or hold a grudge, although SB began to dislike her from the very start. 

So I trust Ji Soo a lot more than TS. She also hesistated and looked a bit scared when YH jumped onto the car, she felt umcomfortable that she might have to shoot YH or SB. 

2 hours ago, stroppyse said:

Yes, but they're "guarding" SB with a bunch of infected people running around inside the complex.

Better than guarding her against a whole city or country of infected people running around. :pandasipsip:

2 hours ago, stroppyse said:

Wonder how they're keeping the military guards from not getting bitten.

My guess? Machine guns and Assault Rifles. 

• Like 5
  • Shocked 1
10 hours ago, Dhakra said:

Actually, it's always been strange why TS would let SB out. Once he found that she has some sort of immunity, the only reasonable thing to do would have been to lock her in. Just taking her blood periodically is not the prudent way when the whole world is dependent on a cure. He is ruthless when he needs to be - so why the exception for SB? This part has never made sense to me, and it shouldn't be explained by "otherwise there will be no show" 😆.

6 hours ago, stroppyse said:

Only thing is that the red in raw meat isn't actually from blood

It's not? 😱 Every time I order a steak, I tell the waitress "medium well, no blood" lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
35 minutes ago, Chocolate said:

It's not? 😱 Every time I order a steak, I tell the waitress "medium well, no blood" lol.

The red in rare meat is actually a mix of water and a protein in the muscle called myoglobin. The myoglobin is a muscle protein that carries oxygen to muscles. It works a bit like hemoglobin does for blood. The myoglobin also tends to give the liquid that reddish color that looks like blood. There are no actual blood products in a meat for cooking, no matter how raw.

38 minutes ago, Chocolate said:

This part has never made sense to me, and it shouldn't be explained by "otherwise there will be no show" 😆.

Unfortunately, while I am still really enjoying this drama, there are some glaring discrepancies, a number of which various posts here have pointed out already.

Still, all is forgiven as long as we can watch SB and YH have each other's backs and then be each other's respite.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Haha 2
  • Party! 1
3 hours ago, Chocolate said:

Hahaha thanks @stroppyse now I can tell my friends the same thing I'm saying to @Chocolate now. @Chocolate You have no reason not to order "rare" coz it's not blood :laugh: - it's so much more tender and yummier! 😋

14 hours ago, Dhakra said:

Last year before the first lockdown grocery stores here actually ran out of toilet paper and people were running around try to find stores who had some left.

Glad to know we're not the only ones doing this :lmao2: I'd think stocking up food is more important than toilet papers.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
8 hours ago, Chocolate said:

Actually, it's always been strange why TS would let SB out. Once he found that she has some sort of immunity, the only reasonable thing to do would have been to lock her in. Just taking her blood periodically is not the prudent way when the whole world is dependent on a cure. He is ruthless when he needs to be - so why the exception for SB? This part has never made sense to me, and it shouldn't be explained by "otherwise there will be no show" 😆.

Maybe at the time she was just an anomaly and he didn't realize her full potential. Since he only found out about the anti-body later, he had no real purpose for her at that time. Maybe that was also the reason why he tried to abduct her. 

• Like 4
  • Insightful 2
12 hours ago, Dhakra said:

Maybe at the time she was just an anomaly and he didn't realize her full potential. Since he only found out about the anti-body later, he had no real purpose for her at that time. Maybe that was also the reason why he tried to abduct her. 

Or perhaps, it's just that it would be a completely different drama if SB was locked up?  :lmao2:

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
On 11/26/2021 at 3:41 AM, Dhakra said:

I may let supermarket girl in though. :pandablush:

Hahaha I feel like you will be turned into a zombie by a hot girl :lol:

On 11/26/2021 at 7:01 PM, mademoiselle said:

Han Hyo Joo and Park Hyung Sik’s full interview and pictorial will be released in the December issue of Elle.

source

This is the hottest photoshoot for the year! :wow::wow::wow: I mean people have talked about other ones like SMA and KSH and I was like meh....this one is so so so so pretty.

On 11/26/2021 at 10:27 PM, mademoiselle said:

[ENG SUB] Elle Korea Interview

Kyyyyaaaa!!! They look soooo good together!

This interview was sooooo cute. I cannot with these 2 :heart::BulbaOWO:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Party! 1

Currently watching: My Lovely Runner // Chief Detective 1958

Current Obsessions: ❤ Lee Jae wook // Byeon Woo Seok - Sun Jae has run away with my heart!

Podcast: These Dramatic Days

Episodes 7 & 8 

I am loving this series so much. Romance wise, it's hitting all the right notes. It's tender without being overly mushy and the sweetness leaves you wanting more, but it's also appropriate wiith the pacing of the zombie scares. It was so sweet when he took her hand...and damn, you were totally in the mood to kiss if not for the interruption! :BulbaOWO:

The story is such a study about humans and how they can almost be scarier than zombies themselves. There's clearly several cowardly and dislikeable characters such as the terrible social media son (so glad the supermarket girl said all the things we thought about him and his loser ways), the murderer, the apartment rep wannabe etc. And while I understand the cleaners (except of the older lady) are sick of being looked down on, they are also very annoying in the way that they also seem manipulative and greedy and would have had the same attitudes to the poor if they were the rich people. :PikachuFacePalm:

But I think this show is also doing a good job of not stereotyping or pigeon holing everyone as necessarily bad or good.  For example, the writer's annoyingly selfish brother surprised me in that he's one of the infected who has realised he has the capacity to seriously hurt and infect others and even turned down an invite inside from the murderer 601 guy because of that. On the other side slipping from good to annoying is their cop friend wiith the gun...he seems to be suffering from trauma and stress and is turning to religion and being brainwashed by the apartment rep couple to help him. I did laugh when the zombies backed away from the cross though...wonder if it was a coincidence or something called them away :thinking:

And then there's Andrew, who I suspect is someone who is infected but has learned to control his urges as they mentioned it's possible....Also note, Sae Bom was suprised that the zombie guy from the other building who tried to go up the rooftop did not because Andrew ushered him down...and she said, "He went down because you asked him?" He does seem to have times where he zones off and I wonder if it's because he's fighting the thirst...but he is definitely more human than the fully human characters...judging by thhe way he gave the elderly lady more food and voted to keep the gym guy alive. :MewHi:

The other character as mentioned who wavers between being good and evil, but it probably more desperate is Han Tae Seok. I feel like he represents the face of authority. It's what it would feel like to be a politician/ top scientist to be honest. You might know there's not much you can currently do to fix the problem, but you buy time and continue working it out until you find a way. But I can see why Sae Bom and Yi Hyun don't like him - he's quite secretive and he will take lives in order to test and find a solution. I kind felt sorry for the security guy even though he wasn't technically a good person...but he was fed to zombies :psweatduck:

I'm glad the pills were swapped btw! I was so stressed the whole time and always wondered why Yi Hyun didn't do anything even though gym guy told him that he had accidentally told 601 where the pills were. But they pulled a tricky one and it was so badass for Yi Hyun to pop the pill in front of him like that :cool:

On 11/28/2021 at 7:08 PM, Chocolate said:

A few revelations in this weekend's episodes. People that I formerly disliked are turning out to be better people than expected:

And this "reverend". Obviously he doesn't have spiritual powers, since these people are infected and not demon possessed. But they really backed away from him. Why? Does he emit some smell or has something about his body that repels the infected? He could be another source for a cure.

Oh good! I feel like we have the same feelings all around! I like that the show has made characters that are a bit more multi dimensional rather than neatly good or bad. I'm not personally annoyed at Sae Bom or Yi Hyun, but I understand where you're coming from about their risk taking which sometimes seems reckless. The only character I think I disagree with is Jung Guk....as you said he has a sick wife to get back to...but he's also risking his life by going out of his way to visit the apartment rep couple. If he's so scared of taking risks, he should be holed up looking after the kid rather than wondering around. Zombie shows love irony and I wouldn't be surprised if he was attacked on his way to see them in future. :idk:

• Like 2
  • Clapping Hands 2

Current Obsessions: ❤ Lee Jae wook // Byeon Woo Seok - Sun Jae has run away with my heart!

On 11/28/2021 at 7:44 PM, mademoiselle said:

You know, when we have lockdown here, it never cross my mind to stock up on bottled water. I never thought water supply would stop or be an issue. 😓😅 Now Happiness is making me think twice. What about you guys?

We had bottled water! It's good to have some around just in case, but they are pretty heavy to lug back from a supermarket...so buy early before zombie invasion :lenny:

On 11/28/2021 at 9:08 PM, ktcjdrama said:

Then the 301 father. He loves his wife and defends her. I wonder if she really turned already? 

Me too...I mean, there was thumping noises at night and he was sleeping by a closed door. But she seems so normal and not dying of thirst on the regular. Their son is nasty trash though and does not deserve what he has :pandarage2:

The basement guy, why did YH and SB let him go out of the building instead of confining him so he doesn’t go around biting people?? 

Whose the basement guy? The one who keeps riinging up and asking people to let hiim in? I suspect it's because he's a sly talker and would trick people to let him out. Also he doesn't originally belong in that building, I think. :idk:

They should’ve just let him stay inside the room of that empty unit. I know there will be people who are against the idea, but this is emergency state, so make shift an area for isolation.

I think they were forced to because of annnoying building rep and 601 guy, who were carrying on since that apartment is meant to be owned by someone else....but it's definitely stupid to chain him in an open space. You'd think they'd have learnt from the gym guy fiasco :shocked:

On 11/30/2021 at 3:20 AM, Dhakra said:

Last year before the first lockdown grocery stores here actually ran out of toilet paper and people were running around try to find stores who had some left. At one point they were guarded next to the cashier, because people would actually fight over them.

Yeah there was a funny video of it happening here. It went viral...these people hogging a bunch of toilet paper and another woman asking if she could have just one...and the hogging family said, "No. Not one toilet paper." How embrassing that that is what they're known on the internet for :lenny:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Heart Eyes 1

I found eps 8 a bit slow. Considering that this is a 12 episode drama, plot needs to move faster.   Maybe I really cannot be bothered with most of the other residents as in none of them have gained my sympathy, though I thought the siblings arc wasn't bad. Although that doc is most annoying but his mistress who is hitting on the lawyer is also trash. I have to say in all these apocalyptic / zombie type dramas that I have seen, it is really only Sweet Home that has been able to create good character development for most of its characters, and that got me feeling bad or sad for them.

The only thing that makes me happy each week is Bom & Hyun's so called fake romance. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

Mon-Tues: Lovely Runner  Wed-Thurs: -  Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: The Midnight Romance in Hagwon Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Meet Yourself