Bossam: Steal the Fate 보쌈 - 운명을 훔치다 [2021]

Okay, I'm a bit more calmed down now... Come to think of it, we do need to have some tension in their relationship so that our couple can affirm their feelings for each other. So yeah, welcome Cha Dol's omma, please push our couple to acknowledge their feelings for each other and how they cannot part with each other anymore for whatever reason.

• Haha 4
  • Clapping Hands 1

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

@bluepebbles I am trying to tamper my expectations about the kiss. 

The plot moved quite a lot this weekend & I am so not a fan of BW’s mum & sis as it is . 
I need more sweetness of the OTP . Apparently subs are out for eps 13

@ktcjdrama their feelings for each other is acknowledged right ? But yes CD mum will spice things up . Actually I just wanted them to spice things up in their bedroom….haha didn’t expect the drama heat things up this way . 

17 minutes ago, 1217akkum4 said:

our Chadol will surely take SooKyoung's side.

Yes . Our Cha Dol will surely defend the omma he loves . Unfortunately he is powerless as a kid . With BW away , SK is gonna get so bullied . 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

My subs out. I was watching the preview, so SK was chased out of the proper room by the first wife because supposedly she is just a second wife. That's why SK was in a smaller room, not clear if it's the same residential compound or not. But it's kinda good timing because Lee checked out that some woman is indeed living at BW's house, and he asked to find out the identity of that woman, which then at this time would be Cha Dol's omma. SK is safe for the time being. The wife though, was saying that needs to get SK out of the house before BW came back, otherwise it will be troublesome. In the preview, I think DY got shot trying to save BW from that assassin.

Oh, the reason why BW and DY was imprisoned was because they attacked the men of some Mo person. KJJ was released because it seems that he is of use to that Mo person. King was saying in preview that to appease that Mo person, he will need to sacrifice someone. Could it be BW? Both BW and DY are being questioned in front of that Mo person, I am anxious to know how BW will get out of it. I know he won't die, but just can't help being anxious...

• Thanks 3

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

I had hoped against hope that Chadol's mother would not be part of the storyline, but alas! I guess like @ktcjdramasaid, their feelings for each other must be tested like any good kdrama, ya? :lol: But with her appearance, no chance for romance now. Chadol's mum is indeed a real nuisance. She's clearly mercenary and back to "reclaim" her position because she's heard he has his position reinstated. I would not think she would have known he was of noble descent when she first met him though. Must have left him for money! I'm sure that pendant she has produced to claim she is nobility is fake. And as if there isn't enough for Bawoo to handle, now have to handle this small-hearted woman. 

Now that our drama is headed for times of difficulty and doom, I feel like I want to hold over this week's watching and just wait for better times ahead to binge through. :P But what else is there to fill my calendar with then? Youth of May is done, Doom is just... doomed... hahaha... 

• Haha 5

BW to Cha Dol: “Pretty women are not to be trusted. But you can trust the prettiest woman in the whole Joseon” :wow:

13 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

their feelings for each other is acknowledged right ?

Kind of... But I don’t think they have ever verbalize their feelings and what’s in their heart. It was sort of they’re thrown into the current situation together thus growing and bonding with each other. We need a declaration of love! 

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Haha 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

MTDzeiV.gif

6 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

BW to Cha Dol: “Pretty women are not to be trusted. But you can trust the prettiest woman in the whole Joseon” :wow:

Kind of... But I don’t think they have ever verbalize their feelings and what’s in their heart. It was sort of they’re thrown into the current situation together thus growing and bonding with each other. We need a declaration of love! 

Did he say that to Cha Dol? Hahaha...

Actually, it'll be nice to trace the development of their relationship. How and when did it turn from loathing to love? He definitely loves her - he has articulated as much to her that she is someone he is choosing to protect. If that's not a declaration of love, I don't know what is. She also done as much for him to state that she also wants to protect him. She longs for him when he's away! I wonder how working the military service was like back then. Are the men away from their homes for stretches of time?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Heart Eyes 1
On 6/12/2021 at 7:40 PM, ktcjdrama said:

Let me just quickly share the subs of their conversation under the cherry blossoms. 

SK told BW that the fabric seller took the bait and will replenish his stock soon (this in relation to smuggling goods done by Lee's family, particularly LWY) BW thanked her and apologised that she had to do this, and to let him do the rest from now on. SK said it's nothing, just as he always protects her, she is also willing to do anything to protect him. Then BW smiled and gave her the gentlest gaze, she became shy and asked why is he looking at her that way.

BW: Because you're too pretty

SK: Now then you know?

BW: Looking at you more carefully now, your well-proportioned forehead is very pretty, your high nose is very pretty, your lips also... (then he took one step towards her, but dang, it's broad daylight outside, of course we cannot expect a kiss!!) In the whole Joseon, there is no one prettier than you. At least that's how it is in my eyes. 

SK: Mother must be waiting for us.

BW: Let's go together.

:hearties:

Best scene!

• Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 2
2 hours ago, gilaswan said:

Did he say that to Cha Dol? Hahaha...

Actually, it'll be nice to trace the development of their relationship. How and when did it turn from loathing to love? He definitely loves her - he has articulated as much to her that she is someone he is choosing to protect. If that's not a declaration of love, I don't know what is. She also done as much for him to state that she also wants to protect him. She longs for him when he's away! I wonder how working the military service was like back then. Are the men away from their homes for stretches of time?

No... Just me trying to write that into the script 🤣

The military service, supposedly they have to be away from home, no shifts. In early episode 13, around 18min mark, BW asked to be exempted from it so he could find ways to get back at Lee, which is why we see him going around the market with CB in his regular clothes. 

I know they have told each other they want to protect each other, but that’s what their intention towards the other person. They haven’t said what that person meant to them. I know it’s a different time and culture but the romantic in me still want to hear it 😁... In fact, this morning I rewatched something earlier scenes when they just met. Reliving the development of their attraction and admiration towards each other 😍

Edited by ktcjdrama
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

MTDzeiV.gif

Eps 13 subbed was very good in terms of plot. I know I do want more sweet  OTP scenes but  I liked how both SK and BW worked together to find out about Won Yeop's  smuggled silk business. I shed some tears too at the scene where SK wrote to her mother. She really has gone through so much and it annoys me that she is going to get bullied more when CD's birth mum comes into the picture next week. As it is my blood was boiling every time BW's mother talks down to SK , and I am so waiting for the day when they find out how they have mistreated the Princess. 

I love Ba Woo but I am certain I love Soo Kyung more. I am grateful that the writer has given us a FL that has true inner strength and beauty. I know that sometimes k-drama writers tend to project strong female characters in a way where they end up annoyingly stubborn. But here we have SK who has kept her calmness and composure. She is clever and adapts quickly, and has such a great read on people and situations. Particularly like the part where she immediately knew that BW was hurt. She did not make a scene or fuss over it even when she was alone with him because she understood his character and how he would not want to worry the rest. Instead she quietly spoke to CB to tend to his injuries. Props to Yuri because the SK that she projects has this elegance ( and not arrogance) to her. 

---------------

BTS

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

I found the whole upgraded life to nobleman is quite interesting :

- Ba Woo seems so effortlessly able to mingle with royal so well. His manner with king, when he's being called to palace is quite remarkable. This must be because JIW is so seasoned with sageuk royal drama (lols kidding). 

- In contrast, his mom & sister seems struggle with good manner just with simple tasks like eating & walking. 

- Cha Dol upgraded is kind of cute to see. I think he also will do well like his father

I think the writer do well in making comparison of this changes. Despite the pretty clothes that they wear now, the essence of their family still remain pretty much the same. They all always worry and waiting for Cha Dol's dad to go back home safely ❤. 

Spoiler

@1217akkum4Urghhh I'm annoyed as well with ex wife 🥴 Some more she came, when Ba Woo not around. Next episode looks torturing 🥺

• Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 2
  • Clapping Hands 1

ezgif-com-gif-maker-47.gif

Episode 14 :love:  - how oh how did I survive their good bye scene with no kiss - it was completely touching and I loved it and will rewatch it but I still can't believe no kiss.  I'm beginning to think we will never get one - just real tight hugs.  Anyone else think if creators teased a kiss in a preview the rating with for sure hit double digits?  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Star Struck 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

I just finished watching Ep 13 over many short installments. I too, like @SilverMoonTea, am enjoying what the tensions between nobility and common folk are, even in history when these caste lines are drawn more strictly. And a few more things of curiosity to me as well:

Bawoo lost his family when he was about 12? Let's put it at that, about 12. That would mean he would have completed a good number of years of "primary" education in the classics at least. He is able to read and write hanja - he did mention to SK that he had read most of the classics he needed to be familiar with for his military service exams, and at the start of the series when he first "dressed up" as a nobleman and met DY for the first time, he was also able to recite poetry effortlessly to make a point about the political discussions that was causing that fight among the scholars. His mother also said that Bawoo was considered a prodigy when young and so was probably smart enough to navigate the world even without the protection of nobility. In all his experiences to date, he has come to have a distaste for status when it serves only to discriminate and oppress. See how angry he was at his BIL's death and how it was treated by DY. 

His sister and mother however, present a very different picture. Mum seems to have retained her haughtiness of status but not the habits, falling into what must probably have become commonplace practices for her in the last 20 years, assuming Bawoo is now in his early 30s? His sister would have been much younger when the family massacre happened, so she would not have been raised with the habits of nobility, yet it's interesting that it is she who keeps telling her mother to "have some dignity". 

SK's response to all of this is also interesting. Being raised as a precious daughter in the royal household, you would expect her to be proud and possibly even spoilt. But she has gone through these difficult experiences with much resilience. Even when she wanted to kill herself, it was for consideration to others (although wrongly aligned and interpreted). She remains humble before her less than reasonable "mother-in-law" - both, actually! Her real one and fake one! While she does initially take offence to Bawoo and his behaviour, she does so only because she felt his ways were not noble - she was opposed to him breaking the law, and showed him that there is a choice to how one survives (choose to do good and honest deeds), even as he showed her the same in life and death (choose to live, even if it's difficult).

I love this theme therefore - what does it mean to be (a) noble and do what is noble? Not all nobles are noble.

• Clapping Hands 5

I am watching this drama like a snail, i am still at episode 12.

Alright, so the King reinstated Prince Yeongchang. This is a deviation from the history, because the prince was only reinstated during King Injo's reign, together with Queen Inmok. Also, there is no historical reference (based on my readings) that Kim Jenam has survivors. Thus Kim Dae Seok reinstated as well as his mother and sister , may also have been part of the artistic license. 

With the direction of the story, Kim Ja Jeom's character is crucial for the upcoming dethronement of King Gwanghae

Spoiler

The coup of 1623

Although King Gwanghaegun (光海君, 광해군) was an outstanding administrator and great diplomat, he was largely unsupported by many politicians, scholars, and aristocrats because he was not the first-born and he was born of a concubine. Greater Northerners tried to stomp out those opinions, suppressing Lesser Northerners and killing Prince Imhae (臨海君, 임해군), the oldest son of Seonjo, and Grand Prince Yeongchang (永昌大君, 영창대군), the queen's son. It was not Gwanghaegun's plan to keep his throne; and in fact, he actually tried to bring minor factions into the government, but was blocked by opposition from members of the Greater Northerners, such as Jeong In-hong and Yi Icheom.

The actions made Gwanghaegun even more unpopular among wealthy aristocrats, and they finally began plotting against him.

In 1623, members of the ultra-conservative Westerners faction, Kim Ja-jeom, Kim Ryu, Yi Gwi and Yi Gwal, launched a coup that resulted in the dethroning of Gwanghaegun, who was sent into exile on Jeju Island. Jeong In-hong and Yi Yicheom were killed, and followed suddenly by the Westerners replacing the Greater Northerners as the ruling political faction. The Westerners brought Injo to the palace and crowned him as the new King of Joseon. Although Injo was king, he did not have any authority since almost all of the power was held by the Western faction that dethroned Gwanghaegun.

source wikipedia

• Like 2
  • Insightful 3

Plop Cat GIFs | Tenor

11 hours ago, SilverMoonTea said:

- Ba Woo seems so effortlessly able to mingle with royal so well. His manner with king, when he's being called to palace is quite remarkable. This must be because JIW is so seasoned with sageuk royal drama (lols kidding). 

I think he used to disguise as a nobble so it's no big deal. At the first ep we found him at the gibang (was it?) helping the ladies when the nobbles argued about the law. Also when he and SooKyoung pretended to be royal secret inspectors.

Spoiler

I think SooKyoung won't mind the wife since she's just a nobody besides SooKyoung's not yet to be his wife. But she will surely get chewed by bawoo. How dare she returns like nothing happens?

I am thinking on skipping the next ep and just watch ep 16. I don't think I can hold myself not to throw my phone if I watch it. Haha

On 6/14/2021 at 9:04 PM, abs-oluteM said:

Oh wow . It really is one new OST per episode 

OST14

Why am I crying listening to this song? I like it, so pretty

• Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 2

@bluepebbles My history is bad. BW and SK are fictional characters set in this era right? So how does BW and SK fit into the larger scheme of things? Will we get our happy ending?  I know the K-netz  have been quite particular (especially of late) about historical inaccuracies in spite being the drama being a fictional work ( I am still sore that they protested so hard against Joseon Exorcist, urghhh) . 

@1217akkum4 This drama has many lovely OSTs but the 3rd one stuck in my head the most possibly due to the intro. 

Spoiler

@HerManyShows  It will be such a waste of their chemistry if we don't get a kiss. :cry:

Yuri's fanbase subbed one of her Insta live where they were promoting the drama

Spoiler

I have some things I am curios about:

Cha Dol's mum is supposedly a YangBan or something right ? As in she comes from a good family? She showed some token to Ba Woo's mum. 

So BW and SK share the room right? What do you think are their current sleeping arrangements? :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

@abs-oluteMno specific of Kim Dae Seok as Kim Je Nam’s son at the same time Princess Soo Kyung is vague when it comes to records.

Given the timeline still, King Gwanghae will be ousted by Kim Jae Jeom-the faction that Bawoo joined forces with. Also, for the record Princess Sookyung is dead , and seems like she will just be recorded as is if we base on the records of

King Gwanghae . (He has unnamed daughter—only addressed as Lady Yi).

This is quite a leap from the Annals of Joseon but I guess the artistic license they got was the timing differences from the events. The reinstatement of Prince Yeongchang still happened. And from the records of Kim Jenam—the writer tweaked that if given that there is no specific record to say that all of his family died too. It only said that Kim Jenam was tried and executed but no mentioning if all of his family survived or not.

(another example of deviation but not really a substantial to the character/legacy of the monarch is from River Where the Moon Rises where in the age of King Jinheung of Silla was adjusted to fit in the narrative)

• Like 1
  • Insightful 3

Plop Cat GIFs | Tenor

This show is just historical fiction. I reckon they will try to keep things within the reasonable limits of history. So who knows? Perhaps we will see the ousting of King Gwanghaegun, Yi I Cheom and lot will lose favour and die, and the story will simply end with the Westerners taking control of things. This would mean victory for Bawoo since he is of the Western faction. In the meantime, they will have to find some way to "reinstate" the princess, no longer as Princess Hwa In but simply as she desires, Soo Kyeong. Will have to see how creatively they write this in. 

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

I finally watched subbed eps 14 .

I am not sure if I like the idea of them aligning themselves with Court Lady Kim , but SK's judgement has always been right - she knows how the politics work. Kim is  the ally they need at this moment to stay alive.  Too bad in those times women cannot rule the country, if not SK would have made a better ruler than her cousin the Crown Prince. So it looks like the King poisoned his own father in the past under Lee's advice. King and Lee truly have a complex relationship- formerly allies but now foes. 

Best scene for me was SK meeting her mother. I cried a river here. And the mother pretty much entrusts SK's life to BW telling him that there was no one else she trusts but him. 

107411238.1.jpg

BW's sister isn't so bad now. She's warmed up to SK and I hope in the days ahead , she'd somehow stand by SK though I know the mother has ultimate say. Honestly my blood was boiling at BW's mum scenes. And of course the preview guarantees more annoying moments with the ex wife coming into the picture. Please BaWoo , come home soon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

pre-realesed. 

Huhu Cha Dol’s mum is a piece of work for sure.  She left her child for years & expects him now to warm up to her ? Those fake crocodile tears !  And as expected she’s already throwing her weight around & telling SK she’ll look after her own son herself  :pandarage2:

• Sad 2
  • Shocked 1