DouYin Drama Discussion

4 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

that's the brother of the male lead in The Imperial Coroner. Hard to miss. Very tall. 

@NiteWalker

There he is....:PsyWhat: https://mydramalist.com/people/14529-wang-yan-bin

He was in Lotus Casebook too but I don't recalled at all.....:HaunterOK:

4 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

Here's another one with Gangster ML Zhen Ziqi 甄子琦. The FL The chemistry is excellent here. He's such a great actor despite the weak set up with the ML's motivations very unclear at the start. It's important to establish motivations early on so you can root for the right people. But it's still a fascinating premise with the ML and his mute lover. The FL iis also very good in the role. They've been contract lovers for a couple of years and one day she tells him that her family is in talks to form a marriage alliance. She tells him that she's willing to back out of it if he asks her so. He seems not to care and she ends up being engaged to his nephew. So that's interesting reversal of the usual hot uncle trope.

This drama is so good. The CP carries the drama. The ML is super violence though. Another case of me on my toes waiting for FL's bestie to turns bad that didn't happen :PsyWhat:

Edited by OsmanthusTea
  • Like 1
  • Party! 1

A couple of recommendations that came through last night...

This is a well-written, well-made repackaging of the contract marriage, revenge tropes. It's always a delight to see an intelligent, scheming FL at work. She first attracts the ML's attention at a blind date event and takes on the biggest gamble of her life. They enter into a contract marriage because she needs his clout to avenge her parent's death and escape an unwanted marriage as well as her uncle's household. On top of that she doesn't have a whole lot of time left. She's been poisoned for much of her life and is not expected to live long. The ML's just returned from overseas and is trying to shake off a marriage alliance. I wasn't familiar with the ML prior to this but he's very attractive and likeable. His name is Li Shiyao. 李是侥

Right off the bat she is surprised at how protective he is considering they are only a transactional relationship. As they gradually develop feelings for each other she is torn between early impending death and her fear of falling for him. The way they look after each other is very pleasing to watch.  All in all the romance is quite lovely.

This is a good example of how a hidden identity story can work with a bit of care and thought. Thus far all the Republican era ones have been decent. The actress is excellent and the chemistry is good.

An actress at the height of her success from present day has an incident with a chandelier and dies on the spot. She travels back in time and her soul transmigrates into that of a blind young woman who has been ill used by her family. Having taken possession of the body she ceases to be blind but carries on the charade to protect herself. The dead young woman was betrothed to be married to the 少帅 military commander. One night a man with a blood stained shirt enters her room while she's about to have a bath. Later on she meets him again this time as the military commander's aide-de-camp donning a mask. She recognizes his voice instantly.  There are many people who don't want this marriage to take place including the FL (although she changes her mind later) who has to navigate a snobby mother-in-law to be, a noisy and irritating 情敌 as well as her own family. 

What works for me is how the hidden identity is effectively used as a vehicle for the ML to observe and fall in love with the FL of his own accord. It's a fairly straightforward story that sees the leads avoiding traps and trashy people while she lives with the future in-laws.

FL: Zhu Moyan ML: Li Hao

• Clapping Hands 1
  • Party! 1

Currently Watching: Queen of Tears, In Blossom

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

3 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

This is a well-written, well-made repackaging of the contract marriage, revenge tropes. It's always a delight to see an intelligent, scheming FL at work. She first attracts the ML's attention at a blind date event and takes on the biggest gamble of her life. They enter into a contract marriage because she needs his clout to avenge her parent's death and escape an unwanted marriage as well as her uncle's household. On top of that she doesn't have a whole lot of time left. She's been poisoned for much of her life and is not expected to live long. The ML's just returned from overseas and is trying to shake off a marriage alliance. I wasn't familiar with the ML prior to this but he's very attractive and likeable. His name is Li Shiyao. 李是侥

Right off the bat she is surprised at how protective he is considering they are only a transactional relationship. As they gradually develop feelings for each other she is torn between early impending death and her fear of falling for him. The way they look after each other is very pleasing to watch.  All in all the romance is quite lovely.

yes this one is pretty nice....i like how they work too and i watch it last night while the other i yet to start hahaha though i do like both the ml n fl......

been some times since i watch the FL in such a demure stage....a bit laid back from most of her.....which is a bit crazy and push forward most of the times lols

the ML's mother had a thorn in her heart and its hard even for her to accept the ML back into the fold, which as much as i feel bad for the mother i feel bad for the ML too......though she didnt outright rejected him....just unable to see him in the eyes due to some resemblance the ML hold toward his dad, the very person who imprisoned her for her whole life.....

• Like 1
  • Clapping Hands 1
17 hours ago, OsmanthusTea said:

@NiteWalker

There he is....:PsyWhat: https://mydramalist.com/people/14529-wang-yan-bin

He was in Lotus Casebook too but I don't recalled at all.....:HaunterOK:

ooooo hahaha finally a name to the guy ahahaha....he pretty good looking and i like him...

我居然闪婚了禁欲男神 > this is the one we watch of him with ZouYi (左一&王彦鑫)

and he was also part of the cast in 'The Imperial Coroner' with WangZiQi and SuXiaoTong

• Haha 1
10 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

This is a good example of how a hidden identity story can work with a bit of care and thought. Thus far all the Republican era ones have been decent. The actress is excellent and the chemistry is good.

An actress at the height of her success from present day has an incident with a chandelier and dies on the spot. She travels back in time and her soul transmigrates into that of a blind young woman who has been ill used by her family. Having taken possession of the body she ceases to be blind but carries on the charade to protect herself. The dead young woman was betrothed to be married to the 少帅 military commander. One night a man with a blood stained shirt enters her room while she's about to have a bath. Later on she meets him again this time as the military commander's aide-de-camp donning a mask. She recognizes his voice instantly.  There are many people who don't want this marriage to take place including the FL (although she changes her mind later) who has to navigate a snobby mother-in-law to be, a noisy and irritating 情敌 as well as her own family. 

What works for me is how the hidden identity is effectively used as a vehicle for the ML to observe and fall in love with the FL of his own accord. It's a fairly straightforward story that sees the leads avoiding traps and trashy people while she lives with the future in-laws.

FL: Zhu Moyan ML: Li Hao

i finish this one @40somethingahjumma and like you say its really well written and well act out too....

the mother in law is too partial and wont bend even when she knew the girl she wanted her son to be with is some spoil brat who only think of herself and no others....

luckily the ML and the father in law is good to be on her sides.....

and when we have twin again.....she was in 2 different role lols

• Clapping Hands 1

This drama is good in term of writing and acting BUT I don't like the story. FL got pregnant when she was raped by the then married ML's dage but she was unconscious and have no idea how she got pregnant. Dage kept her in a villa after found out she is preggo but kept her in the dark and his identity secret. She goes on the quest of looking for a man who impregnant her and ML who has been secretly in love with her since she saved him from bullies during HS days admitted that he is the man. She fell for him but the dage reveal that he is the actual dad of her unborn. He divorces his wife and marries her on the double wedding with ML's arranged bride.

FL is fills with rages toward her husband despite how well he treated her, she just can't. To make things worst, both couple are living in the same house :HaunterOK:  At the end she eloped with him despite preggo with dage's baby :shocked:

This such a mess up relationship and people. ML's family is such a dysfunctional one. His mother is a xiao san to dage's parent and now he is a xiao san to his dage's marriage :shocked2:

One of the rare good styling of the ML in DY costume drama....:PsyWhat: His wig is good and he suits the hair too.

Edited by OsmanthusTea
  • Clapping Hands 1

I've recently discovered this pairing in a couple of different dramas. 

The chemistry is fantastic and the leads are also very good actors. 

In this first one, the sassy FL is kidnapped along with a well to do boy. She takes them down and is mistaken for being a kidnapper. Someone knocks her over the head. She's taken back to the disabled CEO's home to convalesce. Since the boy has taken to her, the CEO offers her a job as the boy's carer. As she has crippling debt (who doesn't) she jumps at the chance of earning some big money. It doesn't take long before she concludes that someone in his family is trying to poison him to death. After a series of near death encounters the leads develop feelings for each other.

The upside of this show is that it doesn't rely on the same group of villains all throughout. It often gets rather ridiculous that the same antagonists continue doing the same thing over and over with repercussions. It is unique that the story focuses on the ML's family dynamic rather than on the FL's. Also the boy is not the offspring of a previous one night stand. There are also a couple of mysteries that need to be uncovered related to 5 years ago when the ML was in a vehicle accident.

It's well directed.

This other one with the same duo is a revenge melodrama. Tonally it's different from the first.

The FL attracts the attention of two men -- father and son -- as she plots to avenge the death of her parents. It's really the father she's after because she remembers him at the scene of the crime all those years ago. Of course there's more than meets the eye. She single-minded but the ML soon cottons on to her game and true identity. The actress is quite fantastic here as the troubled tormented vigilante. navigating a dangerous tightrope He has an agenda of his own and his father suspects that the two of them might be having an affair behind his back.

This is a classy production that often feels more like a film than a tv show. It does keep the viewer on the edge of of their seat.

These two productions are of high quality and the stories don't follow the usual templates, 

• Like 1

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

On 3/16/2024 at 8:58 PM, 40somethingahjumma said:

The upside of this show is that it doesn't rely on the same group of villains all throughout. It often gets rather ridiculous that the same antagonists continue doing the same thing over and over with repercussions. It is unique that the story focuses on the ML's family dynamic rather than on the FL's. Also the boy is not the offspring of a previous one night stand. There are also a couple of mysteries that need to be uncovered related to 5 years ago when the ML was in a vehicle accident.

the first part of the story was better plotted, i lost interest in the 2nd half of the story.....however i do like the FL enough to stay thru it

On 3/16/2024 at 4:47 PM, OsmanthusTea said:

All stars DY drama

seems like there are 2 season?

• Party! 1

this one not too bad...hidden identity, the FL this times is the child out of wedlock cause the father was the scumbag who cheated on her mother lying that he wasnt married when infact he was married with 2 children

the sister pushes the FL to sleep with the ML thinking he was some poor block when he turn out the be the heir of some big org.....

oh well we all knew the drill hahah.....

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, NiteWalker said:

this one not too bad...hidden identity, the FL this times is the child out of wedlock cause the father was the scumbag who cheated on her mother lying that he wasnt married when infact he was married with 2 children

the sister pushes the FL to sleep with the ML thinking he was some poor block when he turn out the be the heir of some big org.....

oh well we all knew the drill hahah.....

I watched this. This ML's usual drama is hot and heavy, this one is very mild for his record....:PsyWhat: He had one or two dramas with Zhou Yi, hot and spicy too.

• Haha 1
49 minutes ago, OsmanthusTea said:

I watched this. This ML's usual drama is hot and heavy, this one is very mild for his record....:PsyWhat: He had one or two dramas with Zhou Yi, hot and spicy too.

agree....lols very hot...

this plot is only so so to be honest...though i like both lead, this is the 2nd times i see them together, i prefer the other one, where he had a special disease, almost like a vamprish disease where he cant see the light

4 hours ago, NiteWalker said:

this plot is only so so to be honest...though i like both lead, this is the 2nd times i see them together, i prefer the other one, where he had a special disease, almost like a vamprish disease where he cant see the light

I prefer the vampire thingy too. This one is a waste of great casts. Acting is great but story wise left a bad aftertaste.

Their second collab....

Edited by OsmanthusTea
  • Like 1
12 hours ago, OsmanthusTea said:

I prefer the vampire thingy too. This one is a waste of great casts. Acting is great but story wise left a bad aftertaste.

ya....i was like so happy to see the two of them together again and then bomb....the plot really left a little to be desire....both cant control their own path of life and force into situation both didnt like.....:/

• Like 1

hidden identity, runaway bride, well FL wasnt the real daughter and she was adopted so they are forcing her to marry some old guy for money to help the family business which bumping into some road block....

bump into ML who running away from his grandma who is forcing him to get married with someone.....so ended up they got married with the girl assuming ML is just a security guard since he was in the security guard uniform when she bump into him....of course now the adopted family especially the daughter is giving her grief....i havent finish the story yet....i click in cause i like the ML

男主(陸言澈):謝鴻鑫
女主(楚楚):張予湉
ML: Xie Hongxin
FL:Zhang Yutian

• Party! 1

This one is so bad that it's hilarious. Oh man... It is a trope fest from start to finish. It's as if someone threw all the tropes into a concrete mixer and popped this out. The FL has got to be the dumbest person to walk the earth.

At least it has Du Yafei who is great in the make out scenes.

I like this one... even if it's probably longer than it needs to be. But the ML is on the ball here and the storytelling doesn't feel as insulting.

This one's okay too... Better than a lot of other period ones I've seen lately which just has me rolling me eyes. At least it focuses on the relationship between the leads. 

• Like 1

On 3/18/2024 at 11:05 PM, OsmanthusTea said:

Their second collab....

I've seen that one before. I don't really like the fact that they kept her real identity a secret until the end. It's unnecessary. I can understand that at the start but to drag it out. Plus why does the ML never tell the FL that he's helping the female villain because of his brother? 

It's hair pulling stuff.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

I've seen that one before. I don't really like the fact that they kept her real identity a secret until the end. It's unnecessary. I can understand that at the start but to drag it out. Plus why does the ML never tell the FL that he's helping the female villain because of his brother? 

It's hair pulling stuff.

Not to mentioned on how easily she forgave him at the end.....:HaunterOK:

• Haha 2