Start-Up 스타트업 [2020]

Jane

FUN BET : Who will Dalmi end up with ?   

12 members have voted

1. 1. Who will Dalmi will end up with? Now think carefully as this is a bet. Winners can use a profile picture of their OTP. But LOSERS will have to use the face of DoSan's cousin , Nam Cheon Ho

• Do San
    • Ji Pyeong
    • No one
    • It doesn't matter to me ( specially for Mademoiselle :P)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/08/2020 at 11:09 AM

@mademoiselle Jipyeong's interactions with Halmeoni are the best! I love how she cleans his mouth with her hands, like the way we do for little children, how she "scolds" him, how she totally babies him! Aigoo... and he loves it! Poor Jipyeong who grew up without the love of family totally lights up when he's with Halmeoni. Which again is why, as @abs-oluteMpointed out, is very painful if Dosan ends up with Dalmi. How will Jipyeong be able to step into the house again? PHR set him up to be such a strong character, why snuff it out with such meaningless tropes? I remain disappointed, but like the rest of you still sticking around, I'm hanging on to that 1% hope that Dalmi sees the light! 

I'm trying to share a tweet here... how do I do that? #fail

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">𝙏𝙝𝙚 1% 𝘾𝙝𝙖𝙣𝙘𝙚 🤡<br>I&#39;ve made my commitment to clown until the end, so let me do my best to collate my thoughts here, as well as interesting tweets from others too. I&#39;m aware that the odds are low, but I&#39;ll hang on to the 1% chance anyway. 🌱<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Startup?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Startup</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Hanjipyeong?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Hanjipyeong</a> <a href="https://t.co/bVh3aX94PZ">pic.twitter.com/bVh3aX94PZ</a></p>&mdash; seonhohappy ◡̈ 김선호 1% CHANCE 🔂🍜💌🌿 (@seonhohappy) <a href="https://twitter.com/seonhohappy/status/1333252835828383744?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">November 30, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Edited by gilaswan
  • Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Sad 1
21 minutes ago, gilaswan said:

@abs-oluteM @Lynne Are we not showing enough faith in PHR's writing? :idk:

She has two more episodes worth 80 minutes in order to give me a satisfying ending. Lol! 

Truth be told, even if she decides to turn this ship around , it is a tad late for her to show that DalMi has feelings for JP. From a story telling POV , this needed to have been done in eps 12 or the very latest eps 13 in order for it not to come out as forced. DalMi has been pining for DS all this while and there's no mention of those letters that supposedly meant a lot to her. The drama did nothing to explore the real feelings that were exchanged over the years. Though JP wrote it in DS's name, the letters I am sure would have contained his own thoughts and feelings. So the fact that PHR chose not to explore these possibilities , it does show where she will be headed this weekend.

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

7 hours ago, gilaswan said:

I'm trying to share a tweet here... how do I do that? #fail

If using pc, copy the link to tweet & paste here. For it to embed , at the bottom of every post you will see an instruction to paste as plain link. Click on that.

• Like 4

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

@abs-oluteM In any case, back on the laptop now so am able to share this other twitter thread by Seonhohappy.

She makes a compelling case for why Jipyeong will be the end game - the same reasons why we all thought so from episodes 1 to 12. There is a certain consistency to the way she presents her stories, and we want to trust in the logic of her universe. Right?

I reckon the disappointments came with episodes 13 and 14 however, which were uncharacteristically poorly executed. They've definitely thrown me off. I don't remember PHR's pacing ever being inconsistent. Then again, in her other stories, the love line has never been in question, and that was always considered one of her "less interesting" plot lines in her stories insofar as the characters were concerned. Perhaps she is attempting to switch it up a bit this time and it's garnered a lot more attention than the business storyline. Things happen that we do not expect. Maybe that's the whole plot twist we've been looking for. :lol:

Spoiler

• Haha 4
10 hours ago, abs-oluteM said:

She has two more episodes worth 80 minutes in order to give me a satisfying ending. Lol! 

Truth be told, even if she decides to turn this ship around , it is a tad late for her to show that DalMi has feelings for JP. From a story telling POV , this needed to have been done in eps 12 or the very latest eps 13 in order for it not to come out as forced. DalMi has been pining for DS all this while and there's no mention of those letters that supposedly meant a lot to her. The drama did nothing to explore the real feelings that were exchanged over the years. Though JP wrote it in DS's name, the letters I am sure would have contained his own thoughts and feelings. So the fact that PHR chose not to explore these possibilities , it does show where she will be headed this weekend.

I don't know if I should say this but I'll put this under spoiler tags... 

Spoiler

What you say here reminds me of In Time With You... the original Taiwanese version. Not sure if I should be raising expectations lest nothing come of it. The leads only came together romantically in the last episode. Up to the second last episode the FL thought she was going to marry the other guy. She was convinced she was in love with him as well but was having serious second thoughts which she was slow to act on.  Especially in relation to her male best friend.

I've watched all the FMV and there appears to be a lot of similarities and I keep thinking about the first episode.

But the T version of ITWY is a much deeper exploration about family dynamics and marriage so I may be talking out of my hat. 

I saw some comments on another platform that said that the angst between DM and DS could be resolved in 10 minutes but the writer refuses to resolve the "unnecessarily" protracted love triangle. I wonder why. Is she stalling for time? Is it for ratings sake? Maybe the marketing department knows about KSH's popularity. Or is she telling another story?

It's not uncommon in C dramas or T dramas for love triangles to be resolved at the 11th hour. 

Maybe a new K drama trend is  being birthed. :shocked2:

@gilaswan I give it 25% rather than 1%. 

• Haha 4
  • Clapping Hands 1

Currently Watching: Queen of Tears, In Blossom

"Love is not an affectionate feeling but a steady wish for the loved person's good as far as it can be obtained." -- CS Lewis.

Glad that k-netizens also noticed that this love triangle is too draggy and the lack of screentime for our 2nd female lead

[SPOILERS!!!][Start-Up Episode 14 Roundup & Comments] Viewers are happy to finally get some DoDal moments, calls out the writer for dragging the love triangle this far & are frustrated by In Jae's lack of screen time

Cr: translation from ddoboja blogspot

[Episode 14 Pre-release] "What are you..!" Bae Suzy comes for Nam Joo Hyuk, who's seeing(?) things!?

Spoiler

d69195d2-bf21-4653-b734-709129be55ec_B.j

1. [+955 / -84] Please let our DoDal be happy now 

2. [+780 / -58]  Please stop, seriously  DoDal loves each other... Please let them be happy

3. [+768 / -64] Ah, our DoDal.. Do you have to tangle it up like this and make love hard for them  

4. [+663 / -43] If the main couple is struggling till the 14th episode then exactly when will they grow 

5. [+641 / -53] *sigh* Seriously...  DoDal definitely needs to be as happy as much as they have struggled. 

Spoiler

c648d242-db98-4c9f-8e20-349a55bcac02_B.j

1. [+1582 / -21] Han Ji Pyeong is really genuine... Set up a country, I'll immigrate there 

2. [+1248 / -22] Han Ji Pyeong is a hella heart fluttering person

3. [+1156 / -16] Seriously, Han Ji Pyeong is a really good guy,,

4. [+997 / -20] Look at how Han Ji Pyeong is taking care of each and every small thing  He told Dal Mi to watch her head. Ji Pyeong, I love you... 

5. [+921 / -16] I'm fainting every episode... Take responsibility, Han Ji Pyeong... the thing that struck me even more is that Kim Seon Ho is also a manner king in real life

9f4caedb-4b98-443a-ad4c-07f42b0521bf_B.j

1. [+639 / -5] Han Na unni's diction.. It's electrifying

2. [+623 / -2] I think Won In Jae is the only one who grew in 'Start-Up'. 
ㄴ [+63 / -1] + Han Ji Pyeong

3. [+428 / -1] Writer-nim, please give an actress who's this cool more screen time... Even things like the interviews, the four leads did it but I think In Jae has less screen time than Chul San and Yong San...

4. [+411 / -2] Who would've thought that he's behaving like this because of what she said, you can smell the loser stench from here,, By the way, In Jae's refreshingness is awesome, it's satisfying

Spoiler

229f55e1-6436-4b7e-8197-1b1a21768789_B.j

1. [+530 / -3] Real sisters vibes.  Her arguing if they're picking In Jae's side is really something a little sister would do, Dal Mi is hella cute 

2. [+404 / -3]  Just Dal Mi's family;; It's just an emoticon that represents Dal Mi;; Dal Mi is crazy 

3. [+391 / -3] The mother's comparison is on point 

4. [+373 / -4] Saying "How can you eat something this nasty?" when selling hot dogs 

5. [+271 / -3] No but she's so pretty even when she's just tying her hair up. If I did it, it would just be Hagrid vibes - Suzy is f*cking pretty 

"I need to pay her back..." The reason Song Sun Mi is staying by her 'ex'-mother-in-law's side

1dad5823-e8d2-442e-9b4e-31638a2ed407_B.j

1. [+626 / -3] Ah, In Jae now finding out about grandma's bad eyesight is freaking too much.. Hurry and do a family meeting 

2. [+423 / -4] In Jae came to learn about grandma's eyes.. In Jae, let's get out of the Won family 

3. [+356 / -4] Do you think the mom is going to use the alimony for the grandma's eye surgery? 

4. [+353 / -4] Compared to the first time, they really now feel like real mother and daughter 

5. [+266 / -3] In Jae, dissolve the adoption and hurry and become Seo In Jae

Kang Han Na makes up her mind when Kim Hae Sook doesn't recognize her granddaughter when she's right in front of her

24aa5324-619f-4be0-83cf-3856f6d494fe_B.j

1. [+1339 / -5] Writer-nim, you should've taken care of In Jae sooner... You only dragged the love triangle story. Rather than spending it on the empty Chul San and Yong San story, you were so unkind towards In Jae's emotions... I hope actress Kang Han Na-nim meets a better work/project next time
ㄴ [+61 / -1] I agree 

2. [+861 / -10] I cheered when she told her lawyer to dissolve her adoption  Is she now coming back as Seo In Jae. Ah but the fact that she doesn't look bloated wearing white..

3. [+693 / -6] Grandma lost her sight.  In Jae didn't even get to show her face to grandma ...

4. [+580 / -4] Her eyesight was this bad..?  Grandma, don't be sick 

5. [+558 / -6] In Jae became my tear button... Our In Jae is always lonely, my heart is ripped into pieces 

6. [+420 / -4] In Jae is so sad too...

7. [+399 / -5] Grandma didn't get to see In Jae  The mom or Dal Mi should've told her  But thank goodness In Jae submitted a request to dissolve her adoption, let's be Seo In Jae again 

8. [+358 / -5] Look at In Jae's face  Seo In Jae... It's sad that grandma didn't recognize In Jae.  

Spoiler

f5ce1355-5acf-4386-b386-b08ac63319ed_B.j

1. [+754 / -5] Is it because Suzy is the model for Kerasys, her hair is no joke (t/n: they're saying her hair looks g o o d! I agree, it looks healthy af. Let's all go buy Kerasys)

2. [+642 / -20] Wow, I had a heart attack after seeing Do San sitting in the front passenger seat. Samsan Tech is back together again !!

3. [+598 / -2] Our In Jae and Dal Mi, let's gobble up that Morning Group. The Seo sisters are going to crush the Won family

4. [+447 / -7] What's up with Suzy's hair.. (t/n: another hair compliment)

5. [+403 / -11] To be seriously honest, there's two episodes left - let's just quickly have Do San and Dal Mi confirm their feelings and I wish they showed us everyone being happy 

• Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Clapping Hands 1

spacer.png

On 11/27/2020 at 8:35 PM, Chocolate said:

Source: @rolemodelsuzy

Reveal hidden contents

Except that I think the focus on the triangle/romance is due to the writer.

1.   She has left it too late to show DS's growth such that he becomes likeable to those of us, who are already rooting for JP, despite knowing that he is second lead and he has not kissed DM! You can't just put stuff in the last few episodes and expect people to accept it when you have been leading them in another direction for majority of the drama.

Ask yourself honestly - if you did not start by knowing that DS was the main lead, that NJH and Suzy are from the same powerful agency etc. etc., would you really be so certain DS is the one? I think not. At minimum, the question should still be waiting to be answered. Most people accept it because of these preconceptions or they are NJH fans

Thanks for sharing this! I really liked the review this person wrote because I enjoy Start Up as a drama. It's not in my list of favourites or anything like that, but I recognise interesting and layered story-telling when I see it. And the pacing has been relatively good throughout. There are only 2 things that have put me off the drama...1) haha, my inability to connect deeply with the female lead (but that's on me) and 2) All this focus on shipping wars :PikachuFacePalm:

I don't think it's DS's growth that's the problem. I'm a JP fan, and I personally think DS has grown on me and I also would consider DS a good leading character even if he was not played by NJH  :laugh: Why do I sound like a traitor? Well I think it's because I'm less invested in the romance of this drama...so therefore less mad about the outcome of who will end up with who and that may give me a slightly more objective view of the characters and their position in the drama. For me, DS is interesting as a lead because he breaks the conventional model of a prince charming lead - he's just an average guy who is sorting himself out...in fact, he's a nerd with low self-esteem. And I think that's original. Maybe it's not conventionally cool, but he is at least a good person. I can honestly say I've seen people on the socials jump ship both ways - DS fans turning into JP fans, JP fans turning into DS fans. :MewGiggle:

What I think the problem is that has created shipping wars...is that the writer has written 2 fantastically strong male leads appealing to two different types of personalities that people could be strongly attracted to and pitted them against each other....and then gotten two very different actors to portray them too (NJH and KSH are both very different looking aesthetically).

JP               DS

:pandaroar: v :pandarage:

As the person who wrote that review said, DS is a younger guy trying to find himself in his twenties, he has dreams and insecurities, is a bit of an idealist, but his heart is in the right place, he's calm and soft to the girl he likes. Whereas, JP is a more mature guy who has established himself and is more confident due to having to fend for himself throughout his years as an orphan. He's confident and sharp, a practical realist, who also has a heart of gold and fragile feelings that he tries to hide from everyone. He's also soft to and protective of the girl who likes. This could have been a lovely bromance, but because there's only 1 girl (and to make it worse that girl is Suzy, who people seem to love), and neither character has grown beyond her...we're stuck with two different types of people making arguments for each guy trying to establish him as the better guy deserving of the romance. :pandascared:

Well at least DS is not arrogant. I watched a T-drama at the start of the year where it was similar - the second lead got more air time with the female lead in the first half of the drama....And the second lead was clearly kinder, sweeter and more attentive than the first lead...but the female character continued to love the first lead for reasons beyond all understanding because he was arrogant and honestly just a stereotypical domineering CEO. It was sooo annoying....but they managed to give that second lead a happy ending that I highly approved of :CharmanderYay:. I'm not sure how they're going to do it with this drama for JP though...I feel sadly enough they're tied his happiness too tightly to DM's family and this makes things awkward for him unless they can have him move on from his feelings but still be close to Halmoni :PiplupCry:

• Haha 2
  • Awesome 2
  • Clapping Hands 1

Currently watching: Doctor Slump // Queen of Tears // The Impossible Heir

Current Obsessions: ❤ Lee Jae wook // Park Hyung Sik // Yoon Park

Podcast: These Dramatic Days

Enjoyed reading your post @JenL. Gives me a different perspective. While I have not engaged in any fan wars on twitter , I am definitely very bias in my comments there ...ahahaha. I am more restrained here :laugh:

@gilaswan aiyo....I am not expecting any last minute reversals. But the writer still wants to push the triangle till the end as based on this spoiler article - it is auto-translated using papago , so there are some inaccuracies. But the jisc is there

https://sports.donga.com/article/all/20201204/104284920/2

104284917.2.jpg

Seo Dal-mi (Bae Su-ji) and Nam Do-san (Nam Joo-hyuk), who had a heartbreaking breakup three years ago in tvN's Saturday-Sunday drama "Startup" (directed by Oh Chung-hwan/written by Park Hye-ryeon/ planned studio Dragon/produced by Hi-story), are now joining forces as Cheongmyeong Company, not Samsan Tech.

The photos released showed the scenery inside the conference room where heated discussions took place. Seo Dal-mi, who was clumsy and full of mistakes during the time of Samsantec, succeeded in becoming a single CEO from a talent company to a Cheongmyeong company for three years, and is now showing off her power as a decent CEO. Nam Do-san, who sits next to her, also has a serious and deep look that makes her forget about her past as a rookie, which makes her heart flutter.

While the images of Namdo-san and Seo Dal-mi, who came back to work at a company like in the fierce days of Samsantec, add to the touching moments, most of all, the fact that their self-driving vehicle had the name Tarzan, which was born a long time ago in a conversation between the two makes me even more emotional.

However, Namsan still misunderstands the relationship between Seo Dal-mi and Han Ji-pyeong (played by Kim Sun-ho). It makes me sad to guess the bitterness of him, who is focusing professionally on his work but hasn't healed yet.

The two, who have firmly pushed ahead with the blind application "Snow" that everyone had stopped in the past, are curious about whether they will be able to overcome hardships even in this self-driving startup.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

Wah... @Chocolate... not sure how to react to the preview yo... surprised TvN released such a long clip. I'm really not sure how this "sail off without a map" was presented in the letters when they were younger. Was it the last thing Dalmi wrote to "Dosan" but never got a reply for? I don't think even as a youth Jipyeong would have said, "throw caution to the wind and just wing it". He's always had to be practical from young because he did not have the luxury of unlimited resources. You see it in all his actions too, so even while as an investor there are risks he must take, they're all calculated risks. And I think that's what he dislikes about Dosan too - there is a reckless lack of planning in Dosan, which makes him therefore a poor CEO. I'm not sure where Dalmi is in this spectrum. I reckon that's why she needs that Sherpa and Jipyeong is it. He can rein them in. Dosan is a researcher at heart, that's why he will experiment and is willing to make mistakes in order to find the right answers. But that's something he could do at 2STO because that's a big company likely with a huge research budget. Startups generally don't have that luxury unless they get a huge investor to back them up. And even then, Yoon Daepyo also cautioned Yongsan about that - they could crash and burn.

Jipyeong won't let that happen to Dalmi. Now it's just what Dalmi realises is the "right" response to this impulsive statement from Dosan. There is a flashback, but does this flashback present as a comparison from then to now? Will we finally see growth? They were reckless back then too and Dosan (and SST) got sued by stepdad. They're up against stepdad again now.

@abs-oluteM

Edited by gilaswan
  • Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 3

I'm just looking at the part where KSH answers the question, "What would you do if you were in the same situation as Jipyeong?" And he answers, "I think I'd just be honest. If Jipyeong were honest with Dalmi, would he be by her side instead of Dosan? I don't think so. Dosan and Dalmi are meant to be together."

I don't think this reflects what the end game will be though. They can't give spoilers, right? #hopeful

• Haha 3
  • Tasty 1