Start-Up 스타트업 [2020]

Jane

FUN BET : Who will Dalmi end up with ?   

12 members have voted

1. 1. Who will Dalmi will end up with? Now think carefully as this is a bet. Winners can use a profile picture of their OTP. But LOSERS will have to use the face of DoSan's cousin , Nam Cheon Ho

• Do San
    • Ji Pyeong
    • No one
    • It doesn't matter to me ( specially for Mademoiselle :P)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/08/2020 at 11:09 AM

Just finished this latest episode and wow was it angsty. Like really well paced for an episode, but super angsty. It's like 2:30 am though so will write my thoughts tomorrow. All I have to say is that it was intense. I was mad at nearly every character once (except like maybe JP and oddly enough, IJ,, who I've grown to like now that she's stopped trying to be something she isn't - Sandbox girl). I felt hurt and regret for everyone, but also hope, despite the shitty situation. It takes good story-telling to do that to you as a viewer!

Hahaha, I have to say I'm going to try not to pick live dramas that started their runs at similar times in the future because the angsty episodes come altogether and you feel so depressed :laugh: 

Between Start Up and DDSSLLS, I'm having a break-down...no one's love lives or careers or housing situations are working out :PiplupCry:

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

Currently watching: My Lovely Runner // Chief Detective 1958

Current Obsessions: ❤ Lee Jae wook // Byeon Woo Seok - Sun Jae has run away with my heart!

Podcast: These Dramatic Days

About Jipyeong possibly never having dated before... I find that unlikely. He’s at least 33/34 already in the show? And had spent time working in the US, according to Mr Park. If you see how he “coached” Dosan in the first episode on how to treat Dalmi, and how he’s behaved towards her - making sure she doesn’t hit her head getting into the car, making sure she’s sent home, comfortable in the car, opens her water bottle for her, etc. He’s nothing short of experienced etiquette-wise. I really think he holds himself back when it comes to Dalmi cos of Halmeoni. If there was no complication in the past, he would have totally disregarded Dosan already. 

• Like 2
  • Insightful 6
  • Heart Eyes 1

Folks , just a note  - come post on KSH’s thread to get his cute medal which @bairama designed . This is an extra surprise that I didn’t  plan for at 1st as I was concerned if Bai had time . Anyhow , she was able to do it , so just come say hi ok! The cut off date is this Friday 

Some folks have posted but let me 

cc @Jane @JenL @ktcjdrama @Lynne @movingwheel @Alice Wonderland @ssteph

and anyone else I may have missed out 

• Like 3
  • Awesome 2
  • Heart Eyes 4
  • Tasty 1

Mon-Tues: Lovely Runner  Wed-Thurs: -  Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: The Midnight Romance in Hagwon Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - 

44 minutes ago, gilaswan said:

About Jipyeong possibly never having dated before... I find that unlikely. He’s at least 33/34 already in the show? And had spent time working in the US, according to Mr Park. If you see how he “coached” Dosan in the first episode on how to treat Dalmi, and how he’s behaved towards her - making sure she doesn’t hit her head getting into the car, making sure she’s sent home, comfortable in the car, opens her water bottle for her, etc. He’s nothing short of experienced etiquette-wise. I really think he holds himself back when it comes to Dalmi cos of Halmeoni. If there was no complication in the past, he would have totally disregarded Dosan already. 

ahhh this can be.. But seeing he has high common sense (so he is that great investor).. I bet this act also because he is that capable to scan the society, gain knowledge for romantic sense too but actually he is not that experienced. BUT I mean, SEE THIS EXAMPLE OF GENTLEMAN, HE WILL SUCCESS IT WHOEVER WOMAN HE ENDS UP:pandarage2::heart: 

btw,

hope you all Seonho lovers don't mind with a bit comedic badge.. Welcome to dimples world domination lolols

• Like 2
  • Haha 6
  • Heart Eyes 1

G O O D  V I B E S  

♪ click me below for my cw, edits, about 

d r a m a s a f f a i r . c a r r d . c o 

I am glad to have a good discussion here on JH. Was reading elsewhere and the war is quite something between the pro-JP or pro-DS in regards of who gets the girl... Because this is not a romantic drama, I don't really focus on, or care about who ends up with whom. I watch for the journey of growth for the characters. I've been through intense shipping wars and have learned to avoid dramas that focused on love triangles, usually by assessing the main posters. Examples below in spoiler, which is why I never think of SU as a love triangle drama given the poster with 4 main characters, yet, warring of who gets the girl is everywhere.

Spoiler

The_King_In_Love_(%EC%99%95%EC%9D%80_%EC%82%AC%EB%9E%91%ED%95%9C%EB%8B%A4).jpg  Oh_My_Ghostess_promotional_poster.jpg

One of my favourite characters to watch in dramas are those who are hard/prickly on the outside and squishy soft on the inside. So when we're first introduced to HJP, I fell in love with him. I love that Halmoni sees him for who he is and always affirms him that he is a good boy, no matter how he denies being one. He is willing to do everything for Halmoni. Her wish is his command.

Some pro-DS blamed JP for wasting the opportunities to be with DM, saying that he should have just come clean in the first place that he is the letter writer instead of finding the real DS, saying that he is a coward for hiding behind the real DS. Well, I guess they haven't watched the show carefully. JP is trying to find the real DS because of Halmoni's request. At that point, he hasn't even met adult DM and I believe has no feelings developed for her yet. He was only doing so because he knows Halmoni doesn't want to be found out by DM to be staging the pen-pal thing. He only started to develop feelings for DM as he gets to know the adult her who is resilient.

I like that CEO Yoon is teaching JP to have balance of tact and fact in his approach with people. JP has been laying out facts for the new business starters. Some viewers are also blaming JP for causing the death of YS's brother... With YS's brother, he was only asking what any investors would ask. It's clear that the brother knows in two years time, his product will be obsolete. Some days also passed after the Demo Day until his suicide, so some other things could have happened that triggered his suicide. It's really not fair to blame it solely on JP's comment that consist of few sentences only. 

Some are also saying that JP is only willing to invest in SamSan only because of DM. I don't think so. It's true that initially he hasn't seen the gem of SamSan, but he knew there is something  valuable after they won the CODA competition. And later on, with the formed team (naturally DM included) SamSan could definitely go places. So I don't think his offer to invest was purely because DM is there. He has an eye for investments since he was young. Surely he knows where the money should go to.

I even read one comment saying that this is a lousy drama compared to some recently finished drama, so bad that it only deserves a one-star rating. :shocked: 

I just hope for the remaining 4 episodes, the writer can tie up each arc well so that everyone is satisfied. It'll be a pity if such great drama, that teaches quite a bit about the real business world out there, is hated by the other half of male-leads supporters.

• Like 1
  • Awesome 2
  • Clapping Hands 5

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

I just wish for HJP to have found a family/people to take care of him during that 3 years time jump i.e. Halmeoni and Dalmi.

Im happy with a Brother-sister relationship with JP and DalMi. And NDS has to seek JP's approval before he dates her again. Haha

I also wish that the writers will give us a glimpse of HJP's backstory from him being an orpahn, how he ended up winning the competition to how he has become in the present.  They owe it to us. 😊

Edited by -StrongTower-
  • Like 5
  • Heart Eyes 3

In the strong Tower, I take refuge.

-----------------------------------

So far my top 2020 K-Dramas are 1. Hospital Playlist 2. Romantic Doctor Teacher Kim Season Two 3. CLOY 4. IONTBO

49 minutes ago, -StrongTower- said:

I just wish for HJP to have found a family/people to take care of him during that 3 years time jump i.e. Halmeoni and Dalmi.

I'd really like that. Been hoping to see it from the very beginning and more interactions between him and Halmoni. And Halmoni cooking him some home-cooked meals, the Korean Omma way. Ji Pyeong needs that warmth.

• Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 6
4 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

Oh my, @abs-oluteM :wow: Click to zoom it up... it's even more beautiful close up

His lipstick so pink...sweeter than mine :love:

7 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

I am glad to have a good discussion here on JH. Was reading elsewhere and the war is quite something between the pro-JP or pro-DS in regards of who gets the girl...

Same . I appreciate this thread alot . We may have different preferences but everyone is cool about stuff at the end of the day.

Subbed BTS for eps 9 and 10.

This drama has so many OST that I lost track lol . Number 13!

\

• Like 4
  • Heart Eyes 2

Mon-Tues: Lovely Runner  Wed-Thurs: -  Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: The Midnight Romance in Hagwon Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - 

Knetz comments: I will post some top ones here the rest you can read on their site

https://netizenkore.blogspot.com/2020/11/naver-tv-start-up-episode-12-comments.html

1. [+1860][-20] No, Yongsan-ah, why don't you remember that Team Leader Han helped you... You got here because of all those biting comments..  Seriously, only Han Jipyeong is pitiful. He's a saint honestly 

2. [+1785][-20] But the person who stopped Han Jipyeong was Kim Yongsan, so why are they beating up Han Jipyeong?

---------------------------------

1. [+3926][-26] Writer-nim, aren't you making Jipyeong work too hard... Let's make our Jipyeong happy now.. Though he was thrust into society, Jipyeong-ie who wasn't an adult or a child had to become strong and appear strong to survive in a world that was heartless to him. That's why Jipyeong can't just purely accept anyone's kindness and says bitter words that he doesn't truly mean. He climbed to success alone and is still lonely and is only getting hurt.. Our Jipyeong who doesn't have friends or a family - let's just give him happiness, yes? :cry:

2. [+3630][-15] Kim Seonho is seriously hella good at acting. Where did an actor like this come from? 

-----------------------------------

[+1870][-13] Anyone can see that his storyline is that of a real male lead, but he keeps missing his timing and has turned into someone that silently supports the male and female lead from behind; a regretful, sweet, cute sub-lead, team leader.. Writer-nim, please make our Jipyeong an insanely happy person ㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠ

2. [+1564][-7] Forget it, I don't need anything. Jipyeong-ah, I'm for you

----------------------------------

1. [+1011][-51] Though Dosan is a bit slow and can be frustrating, anyone can see that he's an innocent kid. But then it's so heartbreaking he's in a situation he had no choice but to break up with Dalmi, whom he likes the most, on his birthday.. The acting is incredible..

2. [+951][-26] Suzy's acting is insane ㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠ At the end when she holds back her tears and speaks  *wails*  ㅠㅠㅠㅠ

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

I'd really like that. Been hoping to see it from the very beginning and more interactions between him and Halmoni. And Halmoni cooking him some home-cooked meals, the Korean Omma way. Ji Pyeong needs that warmth.

Same here. Interactions between halmoni and JP is so closed like grandma and own grandchildren. She is such a kind soul giving food and shelter to stranger especially a kid without proper upbringing,strong headed & rebellious.

Finally, finished watching EP 5 and I was ROFL at the scene when Chul San injured his eye !

:laugh:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Heart Eyes 5

A reasonable review (on second thoughts, maybe only part 3)

Source: @rolemodelsuzy

Spoiler

Except that I think the focus on the triangle/romance is due to the writer.

1.   She has left it too late to show DS's growth such that he becomes likeable to those of us, who are already rooting for JP, despite knowing that he is second lead and he has not kissed DM! You can't just put stuff in the last few episodes and expect people to accept it when you have been leading them in another direction for majority of the drama.

Ask yourself honestly - if you did not start by knowing that DS was the main lead, that NJH and Suzy are from the same powerful agency etc. etc., would you really be so certain DS is the one? I think not. At minimum, the question should still be waiting to be answered. Most people accept it because of these preconceptions or they are NJH fans.

2.   The main and other plot lines have not been developed well:

Start-up

The hackathon at the beginning was the best part of the business side of this drama. It was informative, it was exciting and most importantly, there was substantial time spent on it. Since then, there was no focus on the business parts. Whatever has been shown was sporadic. I think if you add up the time, it may not even equate to 1-2 episodes. Even Demo Day was a let-down. And this was the main reason I started watching the drama.

DM-IJ relationship

The scene at episode 1, where the sisters were trading barbs, wow, I was looking forward to see the sibling rivalry and how they would rekindle their love for each other. But where is it? 2 minutes of bickering every few episodes, and then IJ admits she is not the girl on the swing and Dalmi joins her company. That's it? Where's the competition, where's the heart to heart talks where they discuss their father's death, how each had been living for the past 15 years?

Injae

Nothing on her. I would have liked to know how she secured that bank deal, and seen more mentoring scenes with the sandbox CEO - who appears so infrequently I don't even know her name. What a waste.

IJ's stepfather

Again no development at all here. Does his company not suffer even a little bit after Injae left? Will he only get his comeuppance 4 years later because the sisters need time to build their company to be able to take him on? Or is he just out of the picture?

Dalmi, Injae's mother

Ok she is not an important part but since the ending should also show family reunification, the reason she left her husband should be clear. So far, we have only seen her roaming around - no idea why after so many years she has suddenly decided to leave him when she has absolutely no money. We can infer but why should we need to?

Revenge

That's it?

Alex

Another that's it?

Do we see the pattern? Where all the time was used in the first 12 episodes? How can you blame people for focusing on the romance?

Yes, the writer may have planned for some of these to be resolved in the balance 4 episodes and that's fine.

So I was very surprised that the Preview of episode 13 showed that DS is back from the US! So fast!

• 1 episode to show 4 years? It seems quite obvious that everything will be touched on very lightly again - how the SST boys grow in silicon valley, DM-IJ relationship, DM's family, does JP do anything in that 4 years etc. - unless she is intending to use flashbacks.
  • And pray tell, what will be in the last 3 episodes which takes place 4 years later? Most of the major plot lines should have been settled in 4 years. So only the romance is left?

Thus, I don't understand this writer. Was this her intention all along or did something go wrong? Yes, the show currently has generated a lot of tension and people are viewing and discussing it. But at the end of it, you will have half the audience not happy with it, and not just because of the result of the romance but at the way the story is being under-developed. To me this drama started well, but is becoming very average.

Edited by Chocolate
  • Like 4
  • Clapping Hands 4