Start-Up 스타트업 [2020]

Jane

FUN BET : Who will Dalmi end up with ?   

12 members have voted

1. 1. Who will Dalmi will end up with? Now think carefully as this is a bet. Winners can use a profile picture of their OTP. But LOSERS will have to use the face of DoSan's cousin , Nam Cheon Ho

• Do San
    • Ji Pyeong
    • No one
    • It doesn't matter to me ( specially for Mademoiselle :P)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/08/2020 at 11:09 AM

Episode 14 

- Episode 14 felt more fillery to me - probably the weakest episode of all the episodes we've had. It just felt like an episode where they tried to keep the main couple apart and bait those supporting the second lead. They spent a long time on Samsan Tech's photoshoot (cute but not moving the story along much except to show the boys were baxk in Korea for good) and scenes with DM and DS hurting each other. :idk:

- I thought it was sweet of JP to be so comforting to DM in the office, hiding her from her workmates and closing the shades for her...but I found her little cry annoying. Like, I wasn't even sure why she was crying anyway seeing as DS had come in to save her and her team from the virus....and she felt humiliated? Um, pretty sure he wasn't judging her on anything. He was probably more worried since he got dumped in the past. :pandadisgusted:

-Again, found DM's complaining about her sister to her mum and grandma annoying. I'm glad both of them also told her she was annoying. I get that she wouldn't want to hire her ex, but saying that the company bogged DS down was looking down on her own company. :NoHalCat:

-DS dumping DM felt a little justified to me (even though he didn't really dump her in his heart) because she did do the noble idiocy on him and it was cruel on his birthday 3 years ago :KittyGun:

-Have to say I'm glad YS apologised to JP, even if he was seeking advice. I'm glad they didn't go down a makjang revenge route and YS matured after 3 years and realised he was using blaming things on JP that wasn't necessarily his fault  :MewHi: Also like that JP gave honest advice and didn't hold back even though he didn't want DS to work with DM again. :letalQQ:

-Found it weird that IJ did not visit her grandma in the whole 3 years that her mother was living at grandma's house. Though I like her better now, still seems kind of cold? But It was nice of her to help her grandma at the bench. :thinking:

- The place than DS rides his bike to and DM follows him to was very pretty. Just such a nice filming location. The piggy back ride was also cute, I guess. 

• Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 2

Currently watching: Doctor Slump // Queen of Tears // The Impossible Heir

Current Obsessions: ❤ Lee Jae wook // Park Hyung Sik // Yoon Park

Podcast: These Dramatic Days

Yay Last write up before finale!

Episode 15

-Glad the test drive went well and the team was back together again now at IJ's company together. At least it's nice that IJ has joined the main cast in this final arc of the series. :CharmanderOK:

-Hahaha, CS and SH's romance is cute. I think it's fun - at least there hasn't been any real angst with those two! :MewWave: Also I have to say I found SH's confession super cute. She didn't tell him she liked him. She told him they were dating. Maybe that's what you need to do in life - impose a relationship on guys :laugh: And then their kiss was super cute too with SH being so forward and CS getting so excited he leaned on the photocopier...hahaha, it was very gender reversal! :BulbaOWO::hearties: Pretty sure this was the twist KSH was talking about. But agree that CS did get annoying later on when he was all secretly jealous.

- Awww, it was nice to see DM and JP have a nice conversation and be really comfortable with each other, especially when Halmoni was mentioned. But yeah, still see DM seeing him as a big brother in all these nice moments. :idk:

- That elavator ride was soooo awkward. And then the argument felt more about their personal feelings rather than the true sake of the company. A lot of Anti-DS fans have been saying he's responsible for talking about sailing without a map...I'm confused...didn't he get that quote from a JP or DM letter though? I suppose he's encouraging it, but he wasn't the one who came up with the idea :thinking:

-I liked the sort of heart to heart with DS and JP. I felt sorry for JP in that the lack of family has always been a hole in his life. Laughed a lot at his drunken spinning sequence. But I'm glad they show DS as not being a jerk as well and even remembering what JP said his favourite side dish was in the lift :BulbaOWO: And then the saddest part of all, even though it meant he would not "win" I'm glad JP was self sacrificing enough to tell DS that DM still liked him. It was very big of him to let something he wanted go to someone he didn't necessarily like.

-Even though I like JP, I thought the conversation between DS and DM was sweet. :hearties: I can see the rage of JP fans when DM said she just liked DS for DS...but honestly, sometimes that's just how you feel about someone I guess. I think he has a gentle and agreeable nature and is at the same stage of life as DM, so can see the reason behind this. It's unfortunate for JP because once she saw DS, she was unable to see JP in that frame of light. :PikachuFacePalm:

- There's not actually a lot of super romantic scenes in this drama, but when they kissed...they really kissed quite passionately! :MewGiggle: 

-JP facing rejection hurt. I felt bad for him, but liked his honesty and straight forwardness as always. :letalQQ:

- Ugh, DM and co really don't seem too careful. Honestly, I was surprised none of them seemed suspicious of a report who came out of nowhere asking intrusive questions?? :pandathink: Looks like it'll be stress again in the final episode before a happy ending.

• Like 4
  • Heart Eyes 2

@Chocolate there was definitely a lot of potential if the writer had developed this:

(think In Jae suspects JP has feelings for DalMi)

This is how 15 years of history ends....:cry:

Finally ! Was waiting for this for a long time now

Now JP does not focus on money as the sole criteria for picking projects but looks at how it can help others too ( Disney type ending of course :D)

Spoiler

Halmoni thanks DS for making Noongil app and they tell her good news of how the app is upgraded

Spoiler

• Like 5
  • Heart Eyes 1

Mon-Tues: Nothing Uncovered  Wed-Thurs: Blood Free - Fri-Sat:  Chief Detective 1958  Sat-Sun: -  Daily: SooJi and WooRi C-drama: - Will Love In Spring

3 hours ago, Chocolate said:

If the writer had thought of this, it could possibly have overshadowed the main couple :laugh:

Fan edits are the best. 

I think this story needs to go into the realm of fandom for it to be salvaged cos the professionals made a mess

of it. Man, I’m so very annoyed right now! Ranted throughout my watch on discord. I’m not over my upsettedness now but it’s time to wind down. Argh!!!!

@bairama @Lynne @Chocolate @mademoiselle

Edited by abs-oluteM
Please do not quote images (pics, Twitter , YT, gifs) . Thanks
  • Like 3
  • Star Struck 1
  • Sad 3

Ep 16 Finale

I was claiming to be Team Nam Do San all this time but after the finale, I'm Team Han Ji Pyeong after all! Played safe, didnt vote in the poll. No NDS cousin pp for me. Hahaha

Seriously though, the less than a minute closure of HJP with Dalmi didnt satisfy me. When HJP said he wasnt the NDS in the letters, I was like " REALLY, writernim?"!!!! Grrr.

HJP-Halmeoni scene always makes me teary-eyed. I was about to say how he always had sad moments with the grandma but that explains halmeoni's "come to me when you feel lonely and having a hard time". But their last scene is filled with so much warmth and love, her telling HJP that he can go and visit her anytime, even if it's just an ordinary day for him.

The finale is a 7/10 for me. I felt like it was rushed and there was no fluidity in between most scenes. And also I forwarded DS and DM scenes validating my TeamHJP heart. Lol. But I give the show a 8.5/10!!! In general, I love the show!

And am I the only who didnt know that the setting all this time was not on the year 2020?? I was surprised to see the epilogue with "2020 present day".  

Edit: Yeo Jin Goo with the cameo. I guessed it was IU. Close though, right? Since both were in Hotel de Luna. Hahaha

Edited by -StrongTower-
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

In the strong Tower, I take refuge.

-----------------------------------

So far my top 2020 K-Dramas are 1. Hospital Playlist 2. Romantic Doctor Teacher Kim Season Two 3. CLOY 4. IONTBO

Looks like I am the only one satisfied with the finale and the show overall :laugh:True, I was crying a lot at the finale episode but was also grinning a lot especially towards the end. Just love how the team has bonded and has grown so much. I think I was yelling along with them when they screamed in unison upon passing to the second screening. I replayed that bit of cheering so many times I lost count. Such excitement of victory! They really have come a long way. 

I like that a lot of things that happened earlier are accounted for in the finale. I had guessed that IJ was holding herself back from visiting Grandma because she felt ashamed, and I am very happy that the family is reconciled. I love the part where DM and DS wrote new wishes/motivation again at the end. 

YJG’s cameo is such a special bonus. I had hoped for his cameo and they made it possible, yay!! It’s great to see that JP is now willing to invest in something not for the profit but for the cause. 

I don’t feel that this final episode is rushed, although I would have loved to see Chul San shaved his head hahahaa. This is a drama that I will recommend to others, but of course with a special note to focus on the AI business and stay clear of shipping business 😆

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

MTDzeiV.gif

Currently watching: Queen of Tears // Midnight Studio // Lovely Runner // Hide // Snowstorm Love

22 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

Looks like I am the only one satisfied with the finale and the show overall

Haha I think so, perhaps with 2 or 3 others.

Sad to say, the ending was totally lame to me. HJP has to ask for a favour to invest in the company????? How much meaner could the writer be to him? And the business intrigue was non-existent. What was left was a few quick tie-ups on plot lines that she did not develop. And a feel-good ending for SST and SDM. Sigh...

The parts I liked:

- Yongsil appeared!

- HJP invested in the orphan project and looks like he will be sponsoring some orphans too

I have changed my DP lol.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Clapping Hands 2

LOL the display pictures! I voted DS, so I'm safe, but DS's cousin did grow on me, hahahaha :laugh:

I haven't watched the last episode yet either and won't be able to till after work, so I will weigh in on it then. I did see the spoiler wedding pics on Instagram though, so I know what's coming up, though it doesn't bother me either way.

I wanted to say for those bitter about HJP, I don't know how good or bad it gets, but I think it's not worth being bitter about it - If it comforts you, Start Up gave Kim Seon Ho a huuuuuge stepping stone up and I don't see him ever playing second lead again! I've not seen such a burst of love for an actor and a second lead in awhile. And it's because of everyone's support of JP, so if you watched Start Up and liked JP, you supported him, so your viewing efforts were not for nothing! :hearties: 

As for the character, I understand the hurt. But I also think we all loved him all the more because he was the tragic hero! :heart:

Edited by JenL
  • Haha 2
  • Heart Eyes 5

5 minutes ago, JenL said:

I wanted to say for those bitter about HJP, I don't know how good or bad it gets, but I think it's not worth being bitter about it - If it comfort you, Start Up gave Kim Seon Ho a huuuuuge stepping stone up and I don't see him ever playing second lead again! I've not seen such a burst of love for an actor and a second lead in awhile. And it's because of everyone' support of JP, so if you watched Start Up and liked JP, you supported him, so your viewing efforts were not for nothing!  

As for the character, I understand the hurt. But I also think we all loved him all the more because he was the tragic hero!

Well said @JenL Save me the trouble having to say the same thing later, hahahahaha → I'm at work so I'm just sneaking in atm. 

Edited by mademoiselle
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

img.gif

img.gif

Ji Pyeong's crying was my favourite! Kim Seon Ho cried so well and beautifully in this scene. I know you guys hated seeing him hurt, sad etc., but again I'm so grateful Park Hye Ryun gave me this. :pandablush: I was swooning at Kim Seon Ho so much in the finale - both crying and smiling scenes. Kyaaa~ love his hairstyle way more than what he before the time jump.

20 hours ago, -StrongTower- said:

And am I the only who didnt know that the setting all this time was not on the year 2020?? I was surprised to see the epilogue with "2020 present day".

Hahahaha I sort of guessed because 3 years ago it was 2016. So what we saw was still in 2019. 😅 Either way I don't think it matter. It should have just be 2020 and showed us the future 2023 instead with Cheong Myung Co.'s scale up.

I don't know whether it truly reflects SK's law (which the punishment can be very lame) but I was not happy that the twins got off with only a fine. Ugh. SK seriously need to have harsher punishment for some crime.

• Like 7

Haha, well I finally watched the Final episode!! And I'm here to offer my last unpopular opinions. A loooong post of them

Like @ktcjdrama I actually enjoyed the final episode a lot. How I see it, Start Up was always a venn diagram of themes - Family being one major theme, Work & Start-Ups being another theme and Romance, the third theme. In relation to the ending, I thought everything was tied up nicely in each of the circles. I think I'll talk about it from a story perspective first and then as a JP fan - both good things and bad.

Episode 16 (finale)

- I liked that the gang knew the reporter tricks and could actually stick up for themselves for a change! I think it showed the group having matured in how they handled problems :MewHi: 

-JP's scene with Halmoni was so sad but touching - honestly, their scenes were worth more to me than any of the JP and DM scenes in this series. Mainly because I felt there was a deeper connection between these two characters - Halmoni always understood JP for the person he was and never put her own expectations on him, but encouraged him to act the best from his own abilities, so her love for him was unconditional, unlike DM who put her expectations on him as her invisible letter writer lover (Yes, she was a kid who never met him...but she was always an idealist, even as an adult and had these grand ideas of who he was meant to be). Halmoni telling JP not to be any lonely anymore broke my heart :PiplupCry::hearties: I love that she always had a way to break down his walls and make him more vulnerable, something that was good for him as a person.

-More than ever, I liked the relationship between JP and his assistant DC. I found it super endearing this episode because the assistant is actually pretty alert - he told JP about the reporter on his gut instincts. And then he looked so happy about JP complimenting him on doing a good job :laugh:

-Yay, cameo by Yeo Jin-gu!! I like his character too. I know people were not so impressed with this as a thing for JP, but I do like that it linked back to something Halmoni said he should do - pay it forwards instead of back to her :heart:

-I like that Halmoni was so happy to 'see' DS too - I do think DS is a great character and an interesting non-conventional lead. And JP has a lot of merits, but I think we often forget the Noongil was DS' suggestion and his character does also have a heart and cared deeply for Halmoni. :MewHi:

-In my opinion, I thought CS and SH were the cutest, especially CS's sad thoughts that he wasn't living up to SH's expectations for a boyfriend...but then she made him better by introducing him as her bf to her sister. :BulbaOWO:

-Haha, thought it was funny when they were celebrating with cake and SH flicked DS with the party hat for fighting over cake with her man. I feel like that was done to make JP fans feel better :laugh:

-I know people were disappointed in the one JP and DM scene on the roof - I found it a bit lacking as well. Not because I cared about the romance, but because it seemed inconsistent to talk about those letters again when they barely did once DM found out JP had written them to her. :thinking:

-I liked that IJ got more airtime finally - I forgot that YS had asked her that question about being rich in the first ep. It seemed to be a bit random to include it, unless they were trying to hint at a possible attraction between the two (which I wouldn't mind...) But the scenes I liked most with IJ were also the Halmoni scenes. A bit like with JP , Halmoni's happiness to see IJ again made me feel all fuzzy :letalQQ:

-Wow did not expect DS and JP to have a moment in the end. I guess their relationship was repaired over business. I have a lot more to say, but will say when I talk about JP

-Because of spoiler pics I thought they were going to end with the wedding, but I liked the epilogue with the photos and the power couple of DS- DM and IJ and JP walking together. I thought it was a much more fitting way to show the characters had achieved success and made peace with themselves and each other. :hearties:

Opinions about the Ending from Story telling perspective:

As someone who was not invested in the romance of any of the main triangles (Yes, I seriously thought CS and SH's romance was cuter and funnier than DS-DM or JP-DM), I actually thought the drama ending was pretty well paced and tied up all main loose ends with a bow :pandablush: There was enough air time for all characters including the likeable side characters, the main conflicts were resolved and there was a balance of nostalgia for things that had happened in the past (Samsan Tech guys letting go of their old office and passing it onto newbies) and looking towards the future (the end with DS & DM). I also thought the character developments for DS and JP and IJ was very clear in the end. DM's development was weaker and I wasn't a fan of her sister indulging in her more reckless spirit, mainly because it seemed like it was ok for her to revert on her development (becoming more careful and calm). My one other criticism was that the story with the twins was wayyy too obvious and it felt like they should have known all along, but I guess at least that plot line didn't drag for half of the ending. Overall, if you looked at the story-telling as priority rather, than a specific character's endings, I was satisfied and thought it was a good ending :BulbaOWO::hearties::CharmanderYay:  It was a happy ending for DS and DM , and while a JP fan, I felt their relationship made sense enough as they were at similar point in life and were both idealistic people with similar dreamer values. I feel it's a bit of a shame that all of this was overlooked because people were not satisfied with who DM ended up with, but I understand that sometimes things get under your skin and it's hard to see otherwise when you're just really hurt.

Opinions about the Ending as a JP fan

I have to say, on the one hand,  I'm not a as disappointed as I thought I'd be after watching it. I thought it would be a lot worse, but JP got a meaningful ending in my eyes, just one that lacked romance. To be honest, I always thought that if DM could not see what was so great about JP, she didn't deserve him anyway! :pandarage2:  It drives me mad that there was so much emphasis on the letters at first, but then they barely spoke about them once she found out the truth :idk: I think people felt heartbroken for JP's romantic life, but to be honest, I thought it was true when he said he was resilient. His character would not be taken down so easily by a crush gone wrong and I trust he would end up with someone better than DM in the future :laugh:

What I liked about the ending though, was that they showed JP starting to move past the prickles since he was charmed by an idea about helping an orphanage when I think he had spent a long time avoiding his past. I liked the joke with Yeo Jin-gu being Yeongsil and JP saying he liked his voice! :MewGiggle: I also thought he had such a strong scene with Halmoni, who was the greatest source of comfort to him. Her words were amazing in that scene because they struck at the heart of JP's character and I think they showed the importance of having even just one person who love you unconditionally, always has your back and cares about you without judgement of your worst traits or weaknesses. :hearties: 

On the other hand, there were things I thought were a bit much to do to JP in the last episode, especially because they didn't give him a romance. Although it didn't annoy me personally, I did feel it wasn't wise of them to try to push the merits of DS' character through JP's words. Although I think it was an interesting point (and a true one) that JP didn't look for DM for 15 years, but DS helped her as soon as he knew her, it did feel a bit like a nudging to the audience to look at DS's good points which would irk JP fans. I also didn't like that there was no big pay-off for JP, but as @ryanallright said, the Sandbox lady pressured him to be an investor and he even had to "ask a favour" to invest in DS-DM's company.  :pandadisgusted:  I didn't think it was fair given he had spent all this time helping them that they should have asked him out of thanks and respect. It felt a bit like a bowing down of JP's character when really there could have been better ways to show they had repaired a relationship that started off on the wrong foot. :HaunterOK:In any case, I do like that they smoothed out DS and JP's relationship in the end. And that JP was not shown to be heartbroken and mopey, or to have gone down a makjang path of sabotage or something silly like that, but he found other projects to engage with and moved on in his life.

For those who feel bitter for JP's ending, as I said before, I still think it was good you watched Start Up because you helped to support KSH :hearties:...who would have never gotten so famous this year if not for everyone's concern over JP!  KSH also sounded super grateful to Start Up as a show (I have never seen someone recommend their own show so many times in all their interviews). And JP was a great character to play. Sure, his story was sad, but it showed KSH's full acting abilities, so hopefully we will see him in a happier story as lead next time (You can think of it as JP's life and finding of true love after he moves away from DM!) :laugh:

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 5

2 hours ago, mademoiselle said:

Hahahaha I sort of guessed because 3 years ago it was 2016. So what we saw was still in 2019. 😅 Either way I don't think it matter. It should have just be 2020 and showed us the future 2023 instead with Cheong Myung Co.'s scale up.

I didn't mind the dates actually. Lol. Hahahha. Didnt see it. Tsk. Better be more observant next time. Hahah

Edited by -StrongTower-
  • Like 5
  • Heart Eyes 2

In the strong Tower, I take refuge.

-----------------------------------

So far my top 2020 K-Dramas are 1. Hospital Playlist 2. Romantic Doctor Teacher Kim Season Two 3. CLOY 4. IONTBO

@abs-oluteM @Chocolate @Lynne How long are we keeping the profile pic for? :lol:

I'm still mourning the show. Thank you ladies for listening to the rants on discord. Ah... like that youtube vid (I forget the guy's name) host said - at least Start-up and Han Jipyeong will forever be known as the greatest second lead that never could win. #extraordinaryyouvibe 

I think many of the links and reviews shared have pretty much summed up everyone's feelings about what went wrong with this story. I can see why the story could be enjoyable right to the end - if all you're in it for is to root for young people and their underdog stories, then sure. It all looks good - winner takes it all. The losers get their "just desserts", like the twins and stepdad. But as @Lynne said, that's just so 2D, and at some points, even regressed to 1D - flatter than flat. As far as villains went, the twins and stepdad weren't "villainy" enough. Even if you were to view Start-Up as "just another coming of age youth drama", even Record of Youth, as bland as the story was, had better tension between the haves and have-nots. I mean, if PHR wanted twins and stepdads to be the villains, then make them villains through and through with more points of interactions between them and the others, nefarious plans and all. Like Yoobeom was in WYWS. If not, then at least make them conflicted individuals like Hyehyo's mum was in ROY or Beomjo in Pinocchio. 

I hold on to my opinion that the biggest failure was how the writer(s) dealt with the time skip which should not have been. Even if you wanted to have a time jump, it could have been better handled with at least half an hour of short snippets of interactions, challenges, and opportunities for growth and development in Korea and SF. That was very well handled in WYWS where we saw characters' weddings, career development, family life, all while overcoming the grief of loss and change to what Jaechan had initially thought was him arriving at some sort of stability in life. It was so well shot. 

There were many lost opportunities for story and character development. Even if Dalmi was to choose Dosan eventually, give a proper development to that. "Just because" points to lazy writing, something that I just don't associate with PHR. And that simply added to the disappointment. 

I'm still hoping to see what Knetz have said in response to the story end, but I don't read (don't even know where to begin. hahaha) k-blogs and whatnots. Am still hanging around here to see what else will be shared here. I'm gonna be mourning for Jipyeong's loss for a long time... Absolute injustice for him. And how evil to make him stick with Cheongmyeong company and Dalmi. Maybe in a story extension, Injae brings him healing. One lonely soul to another. She wanted to be the girl on the swing afterall. And maybe she is now, and he can be her sandbox.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1
2 hours ago, gilaswan said:

@abs-oluteM @Chocolate @Lynne How long are we keeping the profile pic for? 

Haha, 3 days. So we can remove on Thursday!

This is my first time posting on a drama thread and it has been a pleasure. Though we have differences of opinions, glad that we are still friendly and not hostile. I think this is because everyone here more or less know the other so we read and write with that in mind, versus in a space that is filled with strangers where we won't care.

I don't watch much dramas so am not sure when I will have the opportunity to meet you in a drama thread again. But I had fun and thank you for that 😍

@abs-oluteM @Lynne @gilaswan @mademoiselle @ktcjdrama @-StrongTower- @JenL @bairama @Alice Wonderland @ryanallright @Thong Thin @NiteWalker @40somethingahjumma @HerManyShows @Jane

• Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 4
  • Party! 2
3 hours ago, gilaswan said:

I'm still hoping to see what Knetz have said in response to the story end, but I don't read (don't even know where to begin. hahaha) k-blogs and whatnots. Am still hanging around here to see what else will be shared here. I'm gonna be mourning for Jipyeong's loss for a long time... Absolute injustice for him. And how evil to make him stick with Cheongmyeong company and Dalmi.

Sigh....  You're not alone in mourning for HJP...

They should really let him go... it will better for him to go and find his happiness elsewhere.

Orphan Harry James Potter (HJP) have a better ending that orphan Han Ji Pyeong (HJP):cry:

PHR could do better, and I don't understand why she gave this kind of ending to him. 

About the drama itself.. i dunno what to say.. for the finale I was really disappointed with how the drama tries to frame the disrespect towards your teacher / senior as maturity and growth. I am appalled with this message. 

I have many question about the story directions and many character inconsistencies.

To be clear, I am not talking about shipping, but more towards the many potential the story could take about about the business side, relationships and family.

Whats the use of introducing the lies vs truth, dreams vs reality motives if they don't have a proper conclusion? 

To me, Startup ended well in the surface, while lacking depth.  Alas its done, and I can only be here in my own corner being sad at the wasted potential this story could do.

For me to move on, I would rather consider Start up ends at Ep. 12 with the first 30 minutes in Ep. 13 as the epilogue. 

• Like 6
  • Heart Eyes 2
  • Clapping Hands 1